Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volkswagen Jetta Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    teesylteesyl Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Jetta 'Wolfsburg edition.' Three of the four coil packs have been replaced within the past month. Anyone with this kind of problem??? What are you being told is the cause of the failure of these coils? Thanks.
  • Options
    ebrasellebrasell Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Jetta GLS and since my purchase in January the car has been serviced constantly for problems with the engine etc. Problems include:

service engine light comes on about once a month
    engine coils have been replaced
    wheel bearings replaced on front
    and most recently the EPC light came on and the car stopped running....after calling road assistance (provided by VW) I waited 3 hours for a tow truck and then had to give the guy directions to the dealership.
    Today we brought the car in again for service, waiting to hear what they will find this time. They did replace the window clips from plastic to metal thankfully before mine fell in the door, but the car doors and interior rattles when I go over bumps. We're looking into the lemon laws of NJ to see what can be done. Anyone else having similar problems??

Ahhh finally nice to vent to people who understand what I'm going through !! Thanks - EB
  • Options
    vrgvrg Member Posts: 2
    My two-month old 2002 VW Jetta 1.8T is in the shop for repairs. The MIL light came on and started flickering. The car started shuddering heavily and there was a foul smell from the exhaust. The dealer tells me that the ignition coil is broken. It has been 9 days since I dropped off my car and the part is still not available. Wonder if it is the holidays that is slowing the shipment down. Or maybe there are not enough parts left to fix all the Jettas with this problem.
  • Options
    anonymous02anonymous02 Member Posts: 1,538
    Maybe you hit on something there.

I wonder if the winter (cold) has anything to do with the upsurge in coil problems.
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    It's a known defect in 1.8T Audi/VW engines. It happens to Beetles, Jettas, Golfs, Passats, and even Audi A4s. They are replacing coils as they can make them. They changed suppliers though, so the problem shouldn't happen.

My car died on a Saturday, was towed to the dealership. They kept it a week, and it's been fine for awhile now (about 3K miles). I got a rental on Monday morning, so it was ok with me as well.
  • Options
    anonymous02anonymous02 Member Posts: 1,538
    A car wash broke our antenna in our 1996 Jetta some time ago.

I want to replace it.

Has anyone done this? What part number would I need (hopefully a "generic" antenna will do it, and not a VW part)?

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    teesylteesyl Member Posts: 2
    Good to hear (I guess), that it's a 'common problem' with the Jetta. Regarding the comment about the cold weather being a factor in the failure of the coil packs... I agree. It was especially cold both times the car started running rough, etc., landing it in the shop both times. Thankfully the dealer had the replacement parts on hand. It does not sound as if everyone who has had this problem has been that lucky.
  • Options
    fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    The coil pack problem does not affect the 2.0 engine correct?
  • Options
    avideditoravideditor Member Posts: 1
    Can someone explain what a "coil pack" problem is? I have a 2002 jetta gls 1.8t and mine has been running rough on cold mornings but no warning lights have appeared. Can someone make me aware of a potential problem I should know about.
    Thanks
  • Options
    justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    you will know if you coils have failed. the car will shudder and "fight" going over 20mph. also, the car will STINK of rotten eggs. you will also most likely have a check engine light on your dash.

also, 1.8T VW's do not have coil packs from what i understand. just coils. coilspacks are used for other models.
  • Options
    vrgvrg Member Posts: 2
    REF: Post #2397: "My two-month old 2002 VW Jetta 1.8T is in the shop for repairs. The MIL light came on and started flickering. The car started shuddering heavily and there was a foul smell from the exhaust. The dealer tells me that the ignition coil is broken....."

I got my car back. The service manager told me VW found that a whole batch of ignition coil for the 1.8T engines were found to be defective. It seems to add up. A lot of people seem to be having this problem with the 1.8t engine. I wonder why VW has not issued a recall.
  • Options
    vadpvadp Member Posts: 1,025
    Not an obvious safety issue.
  • Options
    asimpsonasimpson Member Posts: 5
    Same problem in Cleveland, OH. It is in the dealer for the 2nd time now. The head of service there has 12 cars with the same problem. Does anybody have any suggestions as to consumer action that we can take?

PS. It becomes a safety issue if you have two kids and your car dies on the highway!
  • Options
    mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    Meade
  • Options
    bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    I believe you are incorrect about that. The very definition of a "RECALL" is related to safety and notification of customers and gobs of paper work and federal overseeing and vehicle serial number tracking, and stickers being placed on each treated vehicle. A "RECALL" is quite expensive for an automobile manufacturer to implement.

For NON safety items, there are TSBs (Technical Service Buillitens) that DO NOT require all of the paper trails by the auto manufacturers.

I am willing to be proven wrong on this point.... If you can site even ONE instance where a "RECALL" was instantiated for a non-safety item, I will stand corrected.
  • Options
    i can't say for sure whether recalls are ALWAYS safety related, but, FOR SURE, failing coils is a 100% safety related problem.
  • Options
    jbkreegsjbkreegs Member Posts: 11
    The right hinge on my glove box has malfunctioned for no apparent reason. It is stuck in the open position, I was wondering if this has happened anyone else, and if there is a remedy, or a way to get at it. It is a 99 new Jetta, thanks. JB
  • Options
    prairiedog2kprairiedog2k Member Posts: 1
    Cleveland Coil Problems here, too. What has been done to repair your auto? I was told at Ganley Imports I will be waiting for a while (~2 wks as of last Thursday: 01/02/03) to get a single replacement coil and that the whole assembly will not be replaced. How many coils are in the assembly. I am assuming 4 so that means that I will have to go through this crap at least 3 more times.
  • Options
    You are correct, you have 3 coils that could still crap out. VW will only replace the affected ones for now. Had the same thing happen to my 1.8T, and they only replaced the affected coil. It took them a week, car has been fine for 4K miles since though.
  • Options
    jaybird3290jaybird3290 Member Posts: 1
    I'm not sure if this action is still available but it was in the past. VW America has a program through the BBB concerning consumer complaints of their vehicles. The program guidelines used to be in either the warranty book or the owners manual. What it does is sit you down with an arbitration board. I won my case several years ago on my Passat. Worth checking into.
  • Options
    burrardburrard Member Posts: 2
    My first post. I am considering purchasing a 2000 GL with 38,000kms. However, in reading thru these discussions, it seems to me that I should stay away from a Jetta.

Comments?

Much appreciated
  • Options
    renfrewrenfrew Member Posts: 13
    Friday before Christmas I had my ignition coil problems on a four month old 2002 1.8T. The dealer finally looked at it on Christmas eve and told me that it would take two weeks for the coil. I went away on vacation and to my surprise the dealer called everyday just to let me know the status. Called the Monday after christmas to tell me that the part came in and the car was fixed. Since I was on vacation, I could not take advantage of that but I picked the car up this morning and it seems to be fine. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Does anyone know the supplier VW switched back to?
  • Options
    pinklespinkles Member Posts: 5
    I test drove a 2003 Jetta GLS 1.8T on Sunday and asked the dealer about the Coil Pack Problems. He told me that they are now using a new supplier and that they have checked the cars on their lot and they all have the new coils, should I trust him? I read somewhere else that if you look at the serial # on the coil packs if they start with "H" they were made by the old supplier and if they start with "J" they were made by the new supplier, anyone else heard this?
  • Options
    That is correct. "H" is the old coils that might go bad, "J" is the new ones from the new supplier. If the car has "J" coils, then you have nothing to worry about.
  • Options
    flacaflaca Member Posts: 168
    Just wondering if any of you Jetta owners have had their transmission replaced with low mileage?
    My 01- Jetta is driving so much smoother since the transmission was replaced under warranty. Even my gas mileage has improved.
  • Options
    pinklespinkles Member Posts: 5
    Where are the coil packs actually located? Are they visible under the hood?
  • Options
    target3target3 Member Posts: 155
    ditto on that. can I pop the hood and check the coils without having to remove anything?
  • Options
    No trans problems here. I have 8,600 miles on my Jet
  • Options
    What is the fastest you have gone in your Jetta? Tell me your engine as well...
  • Options
  • Options
    shawnmaloneshawnmalone Member Posts: 71
    Re: Post #2416 - - Keith, you can't assess Jetta reliability by reading this discussion board, because everybody here is posting about their problems. Jetta reliability is probably not as good some some Honda or Toyota models, but it isn't as bad as you would think from the list of horrors collected here.

I've owned two of these New Jettas, going into my 3rd year with them. If you drive a Jetta and it suits you, buy it. If you decide you want something more reliable, you'll probably have to settle for compromises in other areas, like fun or cost. I decided that for me, the Jetta represented an acceptable balance of reliability and excitement at a price that I could afford two of them.

Adam, I have a 1999.5 5-spd. 2-liter Jetta which I have taken up to 100 mph indicated. It was very smooth and responsive at that speed. I guess if your car has to be engineered for the autobahn, 100 mph isn't all that unusual.
  • Options
    fwazfwaz Member Posts: 1
    Got my 2002/Jetta end of Nov2001, and now it has been to the dealer 3 times for coil problems. I have called the VW customer support, but they just take in info. The dealer says this is a common problem, a fault in design and new coils added may still cause problems. Any thoughts on who to contact in VW, or "lemon law"....Help...I lost confidence in VW...I feel the car is unsafe and unreliable...
  • Options
    target3target3 Member Posts: 155
    115mph - 1.8T

Best part is, it was still going strong. One of these days, under the right circumstances, I will get it up around 125-130. Tires that come with the sport suspension are rated to 130.
  • Options
    I also have a 2.0 Jetta and I have maybe gone 90 and I also noticed it was very smooth. Only if the engine was taching so high.
  • Options
    The damn check engine light has come back on! I can't believe this...back to the dealership on Monday. This is getting on my nerves. How many of you are just plain ignoring this damn light?
  • Options
    Gee... my first VW (1979 Scirocco) topped out at about 85MPH.... and the Scirocco was their SPORTY model. It rode like a truck but handled as if it was on rails. They've come a long way since then.

In todays VWs, handling is worse, but ride is better. I guess that is what the public wants in a car so that is what they offer.
  • Options
    lauricslaurics Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone. I own a 4 month old 2002 jetta 1.8T. Has anyone had problems with this vehicle idling roughly and slightly vibrating at start-up (it occurs mostly in the mornings)? Any suggestions? thanks. -laura
  • Options
    balticjetta18tbalticjetta18t Member Posts: 146
    110mph; 1.8t, 5sp, sport suspension... 2001 GLS Unfortunatley there was other traffic or a traffic light etc... forcing a slow down...
  • Options
    asimpsonasimpson Member Posts: 5
    Mine was fixed in 5.5 business days. I took mine to Ellacott Shaker. They fixed it the minute the part came in. I also called VW and asked for a status on the part. Apparently they called the dealer as well to see what was going on. It really is not the dealer's fault.

I don't know if it is cold related. The first time mine happened was in August. The only factor I can connect with my "coil incidents" is that I had left the car sitting for 3 - 4 days before starting it up.

An issue is that the dealers are really just part replacers. They plug the computer in and it spits out the bad part # and they replace. They really don't ask why nor does it appear that they give any feedback to VW about recurrent problems. Oh well.
  • Options
    or your state's attorney general's office. In my state, a problem that remains after three unsuccessful repair attempts in the first 18 months of ownership makes that car a lemon. Sounds like some of you have a real case here.

Meade
  • Options
    120mph. 02 1.8T Tiptronic w/Sport Pkg.

Effortless as well. Was taching at ~5000rpm. My last car (01 Protege) tached 5000 at 90mph and sounded it...

Fish: Agree the 2.0 engine is pretty smooth. Gets a little noisy when getting around 4000 (85mph) though. A LOT noisier than the turbo though. In mine, 90 feels more like 60ish.
  • Options
    What's your redline?

Meade
  • Options
    6500rpm, same as the Pro's was. Why do you ask?

Weirdly enough, when shifting from 2-3 with my foot to the floor, the tach swings to 6700rpm then the tranny shifts. I don't know why it does that, but it does. And it does that whether in fully automatic or Tiptronic mode. I don't worry about it really, because I rarely have to push the pedal down that far anyway.
  • Options
    Meade
  • Options
    no worries. all cars do that. well, all cars with any type of sporting nature at all...
  • Options
    Once or twice, the night before I traded it, I manually shifted the Protege's automatic and ran it up to 6800rpm or so. I didn't go that much above redline, and figured if there was damage that someone else would have to deal with it at that point anyway, since I just had to wait for them to prep the Jetta before I got it, and had signed the papers already.
  • Options
    jcrichiejcrichie Member Posts: 1
    After reading reviews about problems with Mexican Jettas, I am very apprehensive about buying the GLS wagon for myself and the sedan for my wife. Can anyone tell me which Jetta models are not built in Mexico and how I can differentiate them either by the label plate on the door as most cars have or by VIN? Please help me, I do not want to have to buy a Honda!

Thanks
  • Options
    visionxpvisionxp Member Posts: 45
    now thats a nice car. im not saying that jettas are bad.
    but theyre not quite as good as the passats.

also ... someone said at the begining of this thread that taking the car in for ONE repair while the car's still under warranty is ridiculous.

what? i would say that 80% of ALL the cars out there need to be brought in for at least one repair while still under warranty.

i dont see how that makes the jetta a bad car. sorry.
  • Options
    don't buy a Jetta. trying to think of a car that is built in Japan that is in the same price range. oh wait, there is nothing. :)

if you have prejudices against Jettas that are assembled (NOT MADE) in Mexico, then you have your choice between hundreds of U.S. made foreign makes (scary) or really expensive Japanese or European makes.

Jetta is in a class of its own. Good luck.
  • Options
    (jcrichie) I have to echo what justin says... If you base your automobile purchase on where a vehicle is asembled, you may be disappointed in your choices.

If you INSIST on knowing this information...
    To answer your question, all new cars must have an assembly sticker in the window. Reviewing this sticker will tell you what you are wishing to know.