Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volkswagen Jetta Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    Does anyone notice that their doors tend to creak (rattle) more when the weather gets colder? The temp here in Atlanta is down to about 30 degrees and my doors are much louder now than when the weather is warmer. To be honest, these noises don't bother me as much as rattles from dashe and doors.
  • Options
    karilynlizetkarilynlizet Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2002 Jetta 1.8T, My MIL lei
  • Options
    I have a 2002 Jetta 1.8T, My MIL light
    went on for a couple of times and dealer
    gave me same recomendations I've read
    so far in this page. HOWEVER, 3 days ago
    light went on again and car started SHAKING!!
    I had to get my 2002 jetta towed to the dealer,
    they said some cars have problems with ignition COIL, and it had to be back ordered, they couldn't tell me how long would it take!! more
    than three weeks!!! Can anybody help me on giving
    more information, do you know if there's a recall on this piece?. Ignition Coil problems cause the MIL light to turn on!!! FYI.
  • Options
    I have a 2002 Jetta 1.8T, My MIL light
    went on for a couple of times and dealer
    gave me same recomendations I've read
    so far in this page. HOWEVER, 3 days ago
    light went on again and car started SHAKING!!
    I had to get my 2002 jetta towed to the dealer,
    they said some cars have problems with ignition COIL, and it had to be back ordered, they couldn't tell me how long would it take!! more
    than three weeks!!! Can anybody help me on giving
    more information, do you know if there's a recall on this piece?. Ignition Coil problems cause the MIL light to turn on!!! FYI.
  • Options
    dancermandancerman Member Posts: 220
    Lacks power....you said it ".....I do agree that between 65 and 80 mph it feels a bit sluggish....". That's when you need it!
  • Options
    markwharrismarkwharris Member Posts: 3
    A little clarification please. Are you saying the dealer told you to use regular unleaded after the first time your MIL light came on? And that at some point after you started using regular unleaded your car started shaking. And that the regular unleaded caused the ignition coil to fail? If so, how long was it from when you start using reg unleaded that your ignition coil problem started? Thanks
  • Options
    anonymous02anonymous02 Member Posts: 1,538
    I have a leaky tank, and am thinking about replacing it.

1996 Jetta GL, 2.0 liter, auto tranny.

I think it started leaking when the fuel pump quit and they replaced it. We've been ignoring it for over 2 years now, but I'm sick of not filling the tank past 3/5 full, which is about where it leaks.

Anyone replace their tank? How difficult is it? How much is a replacement tank? Fuel pump issues?

Thanks.
  • Options
    shawnmaloneshawnmalone Member Posts: 71
    By now, we've all read about the window regulators so often that we're numb. So I'll just mention in passing that another one failed in my wife's 1999.5 Jetta yesterday. I guess it's inevitable that the clips will always break. In fact, it would probably be more interesting to hear from anybody who has a 2-3 year old Jetta or Beetle who HASN'T had the window regulator/clip break.

Here's a less familiar problem: My wife's Jetta has started to make a harsh buzzing, grinding sound as you accelerate through the gears. The car has about 35,000 miles on it. The sound is most noticable around 2,200 RPM. I'm thinking she may have driven over an obstacle (you'd have to observe her driving style to appreciate what I mean) and loosened the exhaust manifolding, which is now vibrating harmonically every time the engine pitch is just right.

Of course, this is just a guess. Has anybody else had a problem with a grinding or buzzing noise that comes and goes as your shift up? Or with a spouse who thinks "The Fast and the Furious" is a driver's education training film?
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    VW sent letters out to alot of people whose cars were affected by the regular problem. They are slowly replacing the defective parts as they break. Also, they will reimburse you for the parts you paid for.

I think they should have just recalled the car and not gone through all this crap. They are most likely doing it this way because they don't have the sources to replace the many parts that are affected.

Your wife might have gotten something caught in the exhaust manifold, like rocks or something. This happend to someone I know, and they had to have the shield removed and cleaned out. There were rocks in there, making this awful sound.
  • Options
    We used to get that also. The muffler shop said he gets a lot of Jettas in with that complaint. I guess the tolerance is real close, and it just vibrates against the body.
  • Options
    driver_founddriver_found Member Posts: 2
    Karilynlizet: Coil went on my 1.8T last month. Had to have it towed. Your dealer's right about the 3 week backorder. Been waiting 26 days now for the part (but who's counting?). Hope you're back up and running soon.

My dealer says he has 9 more Jettas on his lot waiting for coils. I'm outside of my warranty, but after several heated calls to VWofA they agreed to pay for the part and finally, on day 24 they supplied me with a rental.
  • Options
    mcadrechamcadrecha Member Posts: 46
    Driver Found: With this coil trouble, it doesn't sound like VofA has much desire to really be a service oriented organization. Mazda's warranties provides a rental car when your Mazda is in the shop for a warranty-related issue (I own an MPV). You had to wait 24 days for a rental? That is terrible... If this is an example of V of A service, I will buy another Mazda!!!! I hope V of A is reading and listening to its customers, and in my case, future customersl, because if they want future drivers, they better work hard to earn my trust and respect.

MEC
  • Options
    ihatevwihatevw Member Posts: 1
    I have to say that I am convinced that no matter what anyone tells me from this point forward that I will never ever buy another Jetta or VW again!!! This is my second Jetta...the one I currently park at the service center once a month is a 2001 Jetta Wolfsburg w/ 11,800 miles on it. It has been in 4 times for the window falling down problem..which I was told not to slam the door any longer and that wld take care of that problem, what kinda answer is that!!!!! In September I took the vehicle in for 10K oil change...2 weeks later my veh started chugging and puffing. The car stalled in front of Firestone giving off a horrible smell...the tech sd smelled like there was tranny fluid in my oil.. I called service screaming and they had veh towed there.. sd wasnt in fact tranny fluid in my oil but gas!!! The turbo system had failed and was leaking gas into the oil..at 10,500 miles?? The tech sd it wasnt a prob that gas was in my oil as long as it hadnt been there too long...when advised that I had brought veh in at 10K maint and complained that turbo acting weird his story changed to that it wasnt bad at all!!!!. About 2 weeks later the veh once again started chugging and puffing, was towed again and I was told the ignition coil on cyl #4 had blown..causing the veh to struggle to get power.. after 4 days veh was returned. I called VW Amer each time and made a complaint w/ the ign coil they gv me a free months lease pymt after denying my request to repurchase. Well... last week I went to move the veh into the drive to wash it and the veh started shaking violently and giving off a smell again.... called service again and veh was towed again...they told me today..5 days later, but w/ a rental although its a Malibu???, that the ignition coil in cylinder 3 blew and to remedy that problem they actually have to replace the whole engine harness???But that it is on back order because of course they prob need to replace so many. sd could be 5 days to 6 months!!!!! I am done. I demanded that VW America repurchase veh and am awaiting an answer, I do not want it replaced w/ another Jetta headache. Since all of these problems my shifting has been getting harder as well...and a reliable source states that my tranny will prob be the next to go... all w/ 11,800 miles. What a NIGHTMARE. dont buy a JETTA or VW. I have 2 small children and live in a cold place..I shoudnt have to wonder if the next time I go outside if the veh will start or not. My loyalty to VW is done
  • Options
    tmc1688tmc1688 Member Posts: 28
    I'm new to the post, just wondering is there any more complaints other than the brake/rotor problem and window problems?

So far these are the only ones I have experienced.

I'm thinking about trading in my 2000 Jetta VR6.

I figured if I knew all the upcoming problems I can do prentive maintenance and reconsider the trading in to get an Acura RSX-S.

Sorry to hear the bad news ihatevw...

Perhaps its time to apply the Lemon Law

Have a great holiday folks..
  • Options
    What is veh????

Sorry about your experience... I would be livid too.
  • Options
    target3target3 Member Posts: 155
    None!!!! :)
  • Options
    vwjetvwjet Member Posts: 1
    I have had my 2001 Jetta VR6 for 2 years and 45,000 miles. I had no serious problems until the last 6 months in which two windows have broken (just like everyone else), brake pads needed replacing, and the check engine light has come on 3 or 4 times. While my car was under warranty, the check engine light came on and I called it in to the service dept, but before they could see me (always at least a week), it went off. This time, it stayed on long enough to see them, and it's going to cost me $325 to fix--MAF sensor. Has anyone else had this problem? Also, VW fixed the second window for free, but couldn't fit me in for 3 wks for the first window break, so had it done elsewhere. VWofA gave me runaround about reimbursement. I have rec'd horrific service since my warranty ended at 10 months ownership.Suggestions?
  • Options
    harmonoffharmonoff Member Posts: 6
    I just read through all these posts (am i mad? yes) as a primer and agree with what somebody said a couple hundred posts ago about volume. Of all the cars produced this possibly represents a small percentage of the total demographic. A lot of cars are probably average or below (i'm very persuaded by CR) and the volume of posts here represents the small percentage of people who are really true car lovers which is why they have the newer jetta - for the classy ride etc.

It's only these observant caring interested drivers who might notice some of the smaller things like rattles etc. I've driven one the older "peoples cars" a rusty rabit that gets killer mpg and just goes forever. With of course it's share of repairs, but the amount of hours on the powerplant verses the problems is negligible.

What do past or future posters feel about the mexico vs germany debate. If this has been covered or beat to death in another thread i didn't find it with the search function.

Thus for my own edification, and perhaps for that of those having problems and anybody else with an interest perhaps posters could reveal the build location of thier vehicle along with, or as a precursor or appendage to, thier post? Even a poll of some type?

You have a problem.

You list if your car was made in mexico or germany.

We Tabulate the data over thousands of responses

Then after another 2248 owners post complaints along with this information we can use a spreadsheet to tabulate the data and see if any type of actual trend occurs. I'm sure VWoA has been doing this privately for years.

This site:

http://homepages.tesco.net/~john.wintle/article/VIN_Interpretation.htm

Breaks the VIN down for you if you have more than a passing interest. If not than the only three characters that really matter are the first two and the 11th.

If your VIN starts with W then it's germany:

1 - Manufacturing Country

W - Germany (Europe)

1 - USA

3 - Mexico

9 - Brazil

If the second character is V it's germany:

2 - Manufacturer

A - Audi

B - VW of Brazil

V - Volkswagen

Then it doesn't really matter until the 11th character which reveals Assembly Plant as distinct from the company or country that manufactured the actual pieces:

11 - Assembly Plant

A - Ingolstadt

B - Brussels

E - Emden

G - Graz

H - Hanover

K - Osnabruck

M - Mexico

N - Neckarsulm

P - Brazil

S - Stuttgart

V - Westmoreland, PA. (USA)

W - Wolfsburg

Y - Spain (SEAT)

If there's a Mod hangin around please move this question wherever or point me to where this has been done etc. Or maybe we could go up a couple levels in the hierarchy and include all complaints? A VW wide survey of problems set against VIN country ID? Think of the graph that could be generated after a year or so!!!

• Options
    2002 1.8T
    Engine-Germany
    Assembly-Mexico

I had no issues whatsoever with Mexico assembly. This car has run great with 0 problems/issues.
  • Options
    harmonoffharmonoff Member Posts: 6
    news.

That's one positive mark for Mexico Assembly of a

Jetta
    (sedan/wagon???)
    (GL GLS GLX??)
    1.8T
    (Auto/Manual???)
    (xxx miles???)
  • Options
    That's one positive mark for Mexico Assembly of a

Jetta
    Sedan
    GLS
    1.8T
    Manual
    9000 miles

Options:
    Sport Luxury (Sport Suspension, 17" Alloy Wheels, Leather, Heated Seats, Sunroof)
    Monsoon Sound System
  • Options
    cacoronacacorona Member Posts: 2
    Recently I have begun to hear a noise that sounds like it is coming from the right rear tire well. It sounds as if something is rubbing against the tire well - but I don't see anything that could be rubbing & making the noise. Do you know what this could be?
  • Options
    cpuertacpuerta Member Posts: 14
    I posted some information on this a few hundred posts ago. I own a 2000 jetta vr6, and was forced to replace my MAF. My car was less than 2 years old and was under 40,000 miles. I had reported the problem under warranty and was told there was nothing wrong with my car. After many HEATED discussions with VW through their "Go Pound Sand" Hotline they finally agreed to cover 50% of the parts, gee thanks VW. When I asked why the problem wasnt fixed under warranty they could not provide an answer other than that they needed to do more "internal" training of their mechanics. Thats great, their mechanic didnt know what he was doing so I had to pay the price. I have since posted several other posts about the poor customer service. The mass air flow sensor is not a cheap repair, however, if you complain enough, they might do the same thing for you.

I hope VW takes a hit in sales over the next few years as a result of a lot of pissed off customers.
  • Options
    02 Jetta GLS 1.8T Tiptronic, 25,600 miles. Built in Mexico with many rattles that have since been fixed.
  • Options
    The windows falling is a common VW problem. Cheap regulators. VW will now pay for the replacement/repair of the affected part, and will reimburse you for the expense if you paid it yourself. I got a letter in the mail about it a couple of weeks ago. The thing is, you have to wait for the winodow to fail. Shame on you VW, you just need to recall all the cars and be done with it.

Also, rear brakes: They wear out within 35K miles and usually take the rotors with them. Call VWoA and complain about this. I know a handful of people who have gotten parts and labor paid for at the VW dealer because of cheap materials that were used in making the brake pads. VW knows of this problem, and for the most part seems to be replacing the affected parts.

1.8T coils: My car (02 1.8T) died on Saturday and had to be towed in. Symptoms: check engine light flashing, jerking/rocking from car, no power. Igniton coils. Told from the dealer that they were on nationwide backorder and it could take up to a month to get the part. When the car broke on Saturday, I called the sales mgr. at the dealer where I got the car (I have referred customers to him, and he knows me well), and he promised me a rental on Monday. I had to take a bus to the dealer, but got my rental as soon as I got there. They are paying for the car as well, until mine is repaired properly.

Also, be warned! VW has been rumored to be using the same old crappy coils to fix their cars, due to demand of the part. The old parts will just break again. There is a bad batch of them out there now, affecting all 1.8Ts (Jetta, GTI, Audi A4 & TT, Passat). VW is using a new supplier now though, so make sure it's the updated part that's put in your car or you will be right back at service again in no time.

If your car is outta warranty and the coils go, have it towed to VW. They will pay for the repair and, with a little complaining, the rental car as well.
  • Options
    bucktownjettabucktownjetta Member Posts: 1
    Last week the Monsoon radio stopped functioning on my '02 Jetta GL (8800 miles in 11 months) -- so I scheduled 10K service early and took it into my local dealer. Disaster.

After picking the car up and only then being told by the cashier that it was not fixed (the service guy had left me a voice mail that said "Great news! Your car is done!"), I found a piece of repair equipment left on the passenger seat. Now, two days later, when activating the left turn signal (left and only left) the hazard light indicator flashes in conjunction with the turn signal. Also, the alarm does not arm.

This is my 3rd warranty service on this car in 11 months -- disgraceful.
  • Options
    wonderwallwonderwall Member Posts: 126
    i have a 1997 jetta and i guess i must be one of the lucky ones. it has 61,000 miles on it and i've not had any serious trouble with it. i know several others with jettas from around 95-98 and none have the kind of reliability issues people speak of on this forum. i know it's merely anecdotal but i have a good friend with a 1995 mexican made jetta with 135,000 miles on it that's had it in the shop once for anything of note and that was to get the clutch replaced at about 105,000 or so. i think a lot of the problems are caused by incompetent vw dealers not fixing things right the first time. i take mine to a very reputable mechanic who only services water cooled VWs and when i have had my two issues- vacuum leak that set off the CEL and a dead beyond repair battery that made the car go haywire- the problems were fixed right. the vacuum leak cost less than $60 bucks to fix. i'll probably go with a golf next time.
  • Options
    rickroverrickrover Member Posts: 601
    Odd your profile indicates you own a 94 Saturn and are shopping for a Maxima - did a turbo GTI blow your Saturn's doors off and now your mad so you post a bunch of lies?

I run into this all the time on these boards - My GTI has been perfect - no regrets whatsoever.
  • Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    rickrover is posting all over to combat the all-over postings of electra rising! LOL

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    dandikdandik Member Posts: 1
    My 1997 VW Jetta GJS is possessed. I bought this car in 1999 as a lease trade in with only 10,450 miles. The car was fine until the summer of '01 when the red coolant light came on. I took it to my mechanic instead of the VW dealership because they totally screw you and you have to wait at least 4 weeks for an appointment (at least you do in Boston). Well it turns out that oil was filling up in the coolant tank. So I had to have the coolant flushed and the transmission multifunction switch replaced. After that episode, my car started to flash the check engine light and the gear shift indicator on the dashboard would light up so you couldn't tell what gear you were in. Well, after driving for 15 minutes, the gear switch would flick to "D" for drive. When I put the car in Park, the gear indicator stayed in "D." when I try to start my car, it doesn't start and the gear shift indicator flicks from P to D in about 1 second. I finally caved and took the car to the WV in Wakefield RI (because they are nicer there) and they could not figure out what was wrong. They replaced the multifunction switch 3 times and the gear switch indicator continues to be inoperable. So now I am only able to drive my car for less than 15 minutes because that is the only amount of time that I can start then restart the car. Anything after 15 minutes and the car will not start and the gear remains in "D" This problem ususally corrects itself after about 30 minutes. I am going to make one last feeble attempt to take my car to the VW place then I am going to trade it in and get a Honda Civic. Has anyone ever experienced this insanity?
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about your VW problems!!!!! I would be very upset as well if I experienced the same difficulties as you. The only thing I can say is that ALL car companies make a lemon here and there. This is no consolation to you I know, but for the number of people that come on these boards and say how disgusted they are with their car, there are probably 10X the number of people that have had no problems at all with their jetta's. What is totally unacceptable though is the customer service you didn't get. No excuse for that.
  • Options
    gp33122gp33122 Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone else experience coldstarts (shaking when turned on in the morning in Miami weather). Also a coughing feeling in the transmisson when driving in traffic. If so what was done to fix this problem?
  • Options
    it's a simple case of possession! You need an exorcist!

That is the oddest set of circumstances I have ever heard of with a car.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    sphereframesphereframe Member Posts: 5
    Guys, I have a 2001 Jetta with a 5-spd. I noticed a rattling sound coming underneath the car about a month ago when I accelerated from a stop. I just recently (last two days or so) put it in the shop and they are telling me the clutch on a Jetta with 15,000 miles is worn out. Moreover, it's going to be $1500 dollars to replace. Can I get feedback on this? I'm highly skeptical about this clutch having already been burnt out, but then the $1500! Thanks.
  • Options
    moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Is the motor a V6, 1.8T, 2.0, or 1.9L TDI. I am skeptical of clutch being worn out in 15,000 miles unless the clutch is defective or the clutch has been abused. I just checked on the price for a clutch kit for VR6 with Sachs clutch and the price was $160.00. Subtracting $160 in parts from the $1500 you were quoted leaves me with 19 hours of labor at $70/hr (hypothetical) which is just nuts.
    As long as you did not abuse the clutch then I think VW should pay for or share in the cost of clutch replacement. I'm thinking that $600 is the most that a clutch replacement should cost. And this is at dealer.
  • Options
    I also experienced a rattleing from my '02 Jetta and took it in to the dealer. It ended up being the oil pan cover that had come loose. They tightened a couple of screws and it was fixed.

As far as the clutch: It should not go out at 15K. I'd call VWoA
  • Options
    Isn't that covered by warranty?
  • Options
    It's probably considered wear and tear.
  • Options
    at 15K you would have a good argument that there was a problem with it right from the get-go, unless you are racing or autocrossing the car. I bet you could get VW to cover it.

• Options
    tvmountaintvmountain Member Posts: 12
    Do not admit on the regular Jetta discussion that your 97 is great. You will be abused. Mine has
    been great also.
  • Options
    flacaflaca Member Posts: 168
    Ok, you guys, tell me what I have? My car was in the shop for 18 days because of a check engine light that has been on for 6 months. After much deliberation VW service is blaming a car accident that happen in March on the problem: A speed sensor something or other. They won't fix it under warranty. They gave me back the car and now when I am driving on the highway going over 50 mph the car revs up all by itself and I have to let go of the accelerator. What the hell is this? I surely DID not have this problem prior to the VW service. I want to take the car in tomrorrow but I want to know what is cauing this problem. My car was driving just fine and now this. How do I prove that this was their fault and not the accident? Any advise will be appreciated. BTW- the light came back on today.
  • Options
    Has anyone experienced their cup hold door not swinging open when you push to release it? I think it just needs some lubrication......but didn't know if this was common.
  • Options
    The dealership blames the accident for the check engine light and transmission woes - the collison specialist says the accident did not affect the transmission. Now what? I am going to get a second opinion on Wed. (2001 Jetta 2.0 GLS with 20k miles still under warranty plus extended warranty to boot)
  • Options
    Methinks it's time to let VWoA and the dealership battle it out. Or take the car to another dealership. Your third option might be to get a lawyer or the Better Business Bureau involved. I would personally try another dealership first, and call VWoA.
  • Options
    8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    12 months or 12,000 miles, which ever comes first
  • Options
    mcmannusmcmannus Member Posts: 2
    Easily the best car I have ever owned. 5 speed stick and I still have the original clutch in it. The car is pretty well worn out now as I live in Iowa on gravel roads and age has as much to do with it as anything. My wife has worn out 3 cars since I bought the Jetta. The mileage is great 45 to 50 and the dependability great. Only repairs I have done is a water pump 2 years ago and maintenance. I am thinking about a new Jetta and it would be 5 speed diesel. Anyone have any realitivly new 5 speed Jetta diesels to talk about?
  • Options
    I have a '02 5 speed. Are the trans different in the deisel and gas cars?
  • Options
    8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    Transmission are the same except for gearing, 4th, 5th, and final drive are taller on the TDI.
  • Options
    What exactly causes the rpm to surge from 3000 to over 4000 back to 3000 at 55-60mph. Please I want to be inform tomorrow when I go for a second opinion. Does this have anything to with the transmisson?
  • Options
    luvdmyjettaluvdmyjetta Member Posts: 1
    I had something similar happen to my jetta.
    It would almost "buck when i was driving and Idled strange when I started it. I replaced the distributor cap & rotor and Ran beautiful afterwards. Hope this helps...