Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volkswagen Jetta Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    gasman14gasman14 Member Posts: 1
    Re: Post #1755 - elgwapous, I've discovered that there may be a "hidden" recall on some black velour interiors, and that dealers may be able to replace the interior with another variety of fabric. This applies specifically to those interior seat patterns that have "lines" in them. My dealer has been very helpful, but you have to get beyond the service manager level.
  • Options
    8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    VW just dropped the price on them considerably.

They cost about 3x less, to around $60

velour
    It's the velour material in general...while it's soft and comfy...it's a lint magnet, as you noticed. A lot of people (including me) use a lint roller to pick up the lint.
  • Options
    cpuertacpuerta Member Posts: 14
    Is that the new cost for the Mass Air Flow Sensor? 60 Bucks? If so, should VW be reimbursing recent repairs for the cost difference. I paid about $180 dollars for mine, about 1 month ago. Is there a TSB on it? Is so, does anyone have it available? Thanks!!
  • Options
    http://www.vwparts.com
    here's a reference I guess, for the price drop
    http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=516640
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I would give VW a call and see what you can do. It couldn't hurt.
  • Options
    ramzey24ramzey24 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2001 1.8T with 6000 miles on it and I think I am noticing poor gas mileage. I live in the city and drive about 1 mile each way to work and the car is an automatic. The last tank got me 230 miles before the light came on (around 12.9 gallons) which is around 18 miles per gallon. DOes anybody get similar mileage? Thanks!
  • Options
    anonymous02anonymous02 Member Posts: 1,538
    I wouldn't bother owning a car if I only worked one mile away!
  • Options
    cfilkinscfilkins Member Posts: 39
    Gotta figure that if it's a mile in the city, you've probably got most of the idling, which does use up gas (contrary to popular belief :). We haven't taken our Jetta for just short hops that much to really measure the mileage, but my 2003 Vibe gets 34+ mpg on the highway, and just got around 20mpg after 3 weeks of driving 1.5 miles to work each way.
  • Options
    zenythzenyth Member Posts: 5
    VW agrees that it is a Lemon.
    All work done in the last 60 days includes: air mass sensor, O2 sensor, 2 ECMs, spark plugs, all fuel injectors, oil changed 2-3 times, secondary air valve grounds reworked, throttle position sensor adjusted, fuel pressure checked over 24 hour period and advised to use premium gasoline and to allow car to idle 2-3 minutes on start up.

Needless to say nothing worked, after many phone calls to VW customer care, initiation of the TX Lemon Law process and a visit with the VW rep who happened to be in town this last time, much patience and prayer I received a call from the dealership on Friday telling me to come down to the dealership and pick out a new car.

Just for your information the representative from VW said the problem regarding the cold start is with the way the ECM and the secondary air valve communicate on startup. EPA regulations require that on start-up the 2002 VW 1.8 turbo has to meet exacting emission standards at the tail pipe. The representative stated that the engineers are working on additional software modifications to make the ECM work properly but these updates are only in the BETA testing phase and have not been approved by the EPA. Apparently, the EPA has to approve any modifications to ECM programming and this is not an overnight issue. The representative was quite surprised to learn that our car was exhibiting more than just a cold start problem on initial start-up for the day. He stated that if we were experiencing problems on subsequent starts throughout the day, which we were, that the fix from the engineers would not work and other causes should be investigated.

Please note that we not only experienced the starting problem but that acceleration without throttle input, flat spots in the acceleration, a high pitched “whrrring” noise/a burning smell from engine compartment and a feeling of “driving with the brake depressed” or driving against resistance” was felt. However I do believe that all of these problems developed as a result of the initial problem.

Be persistent, be patient, call customer service everyday the car does something wrong and have them document it, return it to the dealer every time it does something wrong, document everything and file with your state’s Lemon Law Act if the car meets your state’s criteria.

Good luck, keep us informed. I will probably get a 2003 VR6 in either Jetta or Passat. If I were not tied into a lease I would get a Chevy truck. =)

p.s. a "little bird" at VW advised to stay away from 1.8T platform, the 2003 may be worse.
    Donna and Dale
  • Options
    The 1.8 engine is an Audi design anyway, not a VW. They seem to be the best engine in the stable. The 2.8 had problems not too long ago (can't remember what they were now), although the 24V VR6 is out now. And the 2.0 burns oil like crazy. The TDI is a good engine though, from what I have heard.

And, just so you know, the Passat and Jetta V6s are not the same engine. So you might be better off with the Passat.

And Chevy had to recall all the trucks they made at first (full-size ones), because the engines were bad in them. They are alot worse than VW when it comes to quality.
  • Options
    204meca204meca Member Posts: 369
    I am looking at purchasing a 2002 Golf GTI with 14,000 miles (my other consideration is an 02 Civic Si). My reseach lead me to this board as there is no Golf or GTI "problems" board. It seemed to met that one of the pluses for VW was the longer warranty (4 yrs 50K bumper to bumper & 5 hr 60K powertrain). Yet reading about 200 posts I am getting the impression that VW does not repair lots of things under their so called warranty. As a result, the Honda (even with only 3 yr/36K warranty) is gaining some ground in the contest!

So, what do you all have to say about VW's warranty coverage? Do they really stand behind their product or not. Are there a lot of exceptions in the fine print?

Thanks, Dan
  • Options
    The 2002 models are the ones with the 4/50K warranty. The warranty used to be 2/24K. That's why most people on here are complaining about stuff breaking, the 24K warranty didn't cover it.
  • Options
    VW has revised window regular clips, make sure it's been replaced with the new ones (the biggest complaint).

02 TDI with 26k miles has been just about perfect.
  • Options
    I have heard from VWVortex.com that VW sent letters to a couple people, stating they know the problems with the window regulators, and extending the warranty on them to 7 years with unlimited mileage, also including reimbursals for previously paid for repairs. I don't know if the letters are going to everyone, but I know at least one or two people have gotten them already. Maybe VW is finally admitting this problem, it took them long enough!
  • Options
    protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    Does this affect all the cars in the VW line or just the Jetta?
  • Options
    All cars, I would assume. The problem affects Golfs, Jettas, and Beetles, since they are all on the same platform.
  • Options
    protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    Thanks for the info. I have a friend that just bought a Golf TDI. I'll let him know.
  • Options
    shawnmaloneshawnmalone Member Posts: 71
    I have two 1999 Jettas and the warranty coverage has been good.

Although the official warranty on most of the car ran out after two years, VW has paid to repair window regulators, rear seat belts, and a door lock control module - - AFTER the official warranty had expired.
  • Options
    I have heard that VW will pay for certain things, if pushed to do so. They are gradually trying to improve their customer service reputation, so that's more than likely why.

I know a co-worker's rear brakes wore out (pads and rotors) at 34K. He bought the parts, and complained about having to replace them. I told him to talk to VWoA, and he did. He got the labor for free, but not the parts. He wasn't too worried about it though.

Now, he found the car might be leaking oil. They are running the consumption test on the car every 1500 miles, he said. He is tired of the problems with the car though, and he said he is going to sell it now. He said he likes it in one breath, and that he's selling in the next breath. It's his girlfriend's car, so it's not really his choice. ;)
  • Options
    mliongmliong Member Posts: 231
    Earlier this year, they placed the Jetta on their recommended list - only to take it off this month because it quickly fell from average reliability to poor.

It's such a pity, because the Jetta is a really fun car to drive, but not own...

BTW, yes, it appears that VW is trying to improve their customer service. They repaired my wife's '97 Jetta window problems till the car's fifth year, then they started splitting the difference. I beleive the 7 year repair for the Windows is for '99 or newer.
  • Options
    Yes, it is for 99+ Golfs and Jettas and all New Beetles from 98+.

So the reliability fell again? That's a shame.
  • Options
    It is too bad.

A shame? No. That help keep them on their toes.

Expected? You bet. Haven't you been reading these boards?????
  • Options
    moosecatmoosecat Member Posts: 9
    I noticed the precipitous fall this month as well. Basically, CR raised the Jetta's reliability rating for a few months to average -- and during those few months I bought a Jetta. I thought that VW had at least come close to solving its reliability problems. Now this news.

If I were deciding now, I would not do so. (My car is very new and has been mostly trouble-free, except for an EPC light and some emerging rattles in the dash. But I'm scared for the future.)
  • Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    have pretty good resale in the first few years - drive it for a couple of years, and get rid of it before the trouble hits.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Quote-Champion said he was surprised by the decline in scores for the Camry and Nissan Motor Co. Ltd.'s Altima, saying consumers' top concerns were squeaks and rattles on the all-new models.-end quote

The CR report had decline in reliability for Camry and Altima that people have so much reliability praise for. You are left with the Accord which is a brand new design and they usually always have problems.
  • Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    have had crappy things to say about new Honda Civics too - can accords be far behind?

It appears 2001-2002 is the period that build quality of the "big 3" Japanese companies went right out the window. If I had a dime for every squeak, creak, and rattle I had heard about in new Nissans, Hondas, and Toyotas, I would be a very rich man!

My '03 Matrix is certainly no exception...

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    mliongmliong Member Posts: 231
    At least the Camry and Altima had the first production year excuse for being less reliable!

The current Jetta is in it's FIFTH year production run. You would at least think that they would get rid of SOME of the more well known problems outside of the power window regulators!

Come to think of it, the recent drop in quality coincides with the Jetta build dates when the Puebla plant was in bitter renegotiations for their yearly contracts. Coincidence?

I wonder if the Beetles also got a sudden spike of problems as well...
  • Options
    concrete1717concrete1717 Member Posts: 29
    Owner comments, in addition to those already posted, would be interesting, in view of the CR analysis (which I assume is based upon owners' reports, as is their annual car report). The CR report refers to "reliability". I am not a VW owner, but I do have interest in acquiring a "quality" auto, which the APR 2002 CR car issue reported the Jetta to generally be.
  • Options
    janeh1janeh1 Member Posts: 1
    Refer to message #2219 - my brake pads and rotors also needed to be replaced, mine at 28K miles. The rotors seized. Dealer told me it was because I live on a dirt road. I had them fix them, due to the danger of being without brakes - $341+ but plan on contacting VW of America to complain. I will be trading in this car. I am not at all satisfied with the car in general and certainly not with the poor customer service.
  • Options
    jackd10acjackd10ac Member Posts: 2
    I must be lucky - I have had some problems with my 2001 TDi, such as Transmission, Monsoon radio died, other small things, but my dealer (Harper in Knoxville, TN) Has been AMAZING. Every repair has been done right, first time, without any questions or hassle, read this right - even came to my HOME on a SUNDAY and replaced the radio becasue I was leaving on a trip and could not come in on Monday. That's service. 36,000 miles and enjoying every one at 45 MPG on Diesel. Now, if anyone wants to buy a 2002 Chevy TrailBlazer POS, just let me know, Their service department is as bad as VW is good......
  • Options
    fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    I think it's funny because I have the opposite experience than you. I have been happy over all, but my VW dealer seems to do more damage to my car while it is getting fixed than repairing the things that need to be repaired. E.G.: not puting dash back correctly, scratching paint and flat out not fixing what needs to be fixed, but telling me the car is totally fixed. On the opposite side: My wifes 2002 Tahoe has been almost flawless in over 12,500 miles. The service dept has been great and very professional. That really shows you that it all depends on the dealer you go to.

I am glad you have had a good experience with VW though.
  • Options
    I had a 92 Civic and NEVER saw the service department. I bought an airdam at the parts department once, which came on the fuel efficiency model, but not on mine. I wanted to see if I could get better mileage. It did about 41 highway.
  • Options
    sean89sean89 Member Posts: 9
    Hi Everyone,

This evening I noticed that the lights on the three climate control knobs, just below the radio, did not come on when I turned my interior lights on. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem? Or if you know how the dealer fixed it? I have the 2002 Jetta
    1.8T. Two weeks ago my radio stopped working (which has since been temporarily fixed by the dealer). Is the problem with the climate control knob lights related to the radio trouble and another fuse problem? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

I guess I will have to make another trip to the dealer.
  • Options
    markwharrismarkwharris Member Posts: 3
    I've been thoroughly enjoying my 1.8T Jetta since I bought it 3 weeks ago, but this morning my Malfunction Indicator Light came on, about 2 days after I read the infamous CR condemnation. Puzzled why it came on, since I've done everything the dealer told me to do to keep that light from coming on: Use premium unleaded fuel, and tighten the gas cap at least 3 "clicks." Took it to the dealer's service dept., and after I told them the last few mornings it has been running very rough for a few seconds after starting it up first thing in the morning, he told me I need to use regular unleaded fuel! Sorry if this has already been addressed in this newsgroup, but I didn't feel like going through 2000+ messages to see if it had been discussed. Apparently premium unleaded burns cooler that regular unleaded, and allows carbon to build up. And, FYI, dealing with the service dept. has been a pleasure so far. Immediately offered me a replacement to drive while they work on it, and have otherwise been very responsive and courteous.
  • Options
    fritz1224fritz1224 Member Posts: 398
    What will he say when it comes on again and you're using regular? Go back to premium. What's the owner's manual say? That's what really counts. If you're getting a MIL using the recommended fuel in the manual, then there's a problem. That deal with carbon buildup applies to using premium on a car that calls for regular.
  • Options
    sergioa2sergioa2 Member Posts: 2
    In reference to post #2235. I have also had a problem with my brakes and rotors lately. I currently have a 2001 1.8T Wolfsburg Edition. The car was taken into the dealer at about 16,000 for front excessive vibrations, it was found that the rotors were warped and needed to be replaced, they were. Now less than 4,000 miles later they need to be replaced once again, because they are apparently warped once again, and the dealer is trying to put the blame on me. Mean while I've never had this problem with any of my previous cars. Is this a problem that is common with VW's or is it an isolated incident? While I am posting this I might as well voice my general disappointment for VW's and their Service (or lack there of) departments. I have always heard quite good things about VW's, but after owning one and being in the loop a bit more I am starting to hear a different tune buzzing about. It seems that these window regulators, and just various other irritations, like poor service, are costing VW considerable second thoughts for customers who would normally be happy to be return customers. As it stands now I will not be buying my current leased VW and probably will not buy another VW for a good long while. My girlfriend had a older model Jetta, the boxier type that was being built before this previous model, and she loved it, and the service on it. She has stated a few times her disappointment at my current situation. Can anyone tell me anything about this brake situation? Thank You.
  • Options
    ik4spik4sp Member Posts: 1
    I want to put out this as a warning to everybody who considering any VW new car. I currently have a 2001 1.8T Wolfsburg Edition. It is about 15 month old has only 11000 miles and so far got only two problems:
    Highway mileage is about 25 mi/gallon and rattling noise in front doors when you drive over the bumps.
    The answer from dealer (Ryedel in Edison NJ) for the first problem was that promised 30 mi/gallon can be achieved under ideal condition – driving 55 mi/h on a straight road without any wind. So if you driving from Boston to NY at 65-70 mi/h 25 mi/gal looks reasonable for them.
    The problem with noise exposed much bigger problem. They sad, that problems like this do not covered by bumper to bumper warranty. The so name “adjustments” are covered only for 1 year or 12,000 miles what ever come first. It opens every job you need to do while under warranty open for discussion. For example if any part of your car is not working but can be fixed without replacement parts – you are responsible for repair cost. What a great idea - to benefit from the poor assembly quality.
    I had Toyotas before and while under warranty all problems were fixed no questions asked. The dealer who sold me a car is claiming that he never heard about such a policy, but their service department as well as VW itself is well aware about it.
    I hope that public awareness about this outrages interpretation of warranty either force VW to change their police or will affect their market share enough. One customer is lost for sure – it is my last VW. I can not deal with a company that engages in such a deceiving policy. Who knows what else in the small font at the bottom of their documentation?
  • Options
    Actually the manual recommends 91 octane, which is premium.

If you use regular, knock occurs, and the ECU will retard the spark timing, possibly decreasing performance.

Have the dealership check the ECU for any codes also.

If you had the 2.0L motor, then the mechanic would be pretty much correct.
  • Options
    phaedrysphaedrys Member Posts: 37
    I know that for the older VW's you only get the 1 year or 12000 mile "Fit and Finish" warranty, but for the newwer cars (2002 and beyond) fit and finish goes through the life of the bumper to bumper warranty.
  • Options
    cpuertacpuerta Member Posts: 14
    After the problems i've had with my VW, myself, like a lot of other people, will never be repeat VW customers again for a LONG TIME. The customer service & warranty disputes that I have gone through has been horrible from both the dealership and the corporate office.

Way to go VW, they really understand the meaning of the term "Customer Satisfaction".
  • Options
    frogoliofrogolio Member Posts: 8
    I had a similar problem with the lighting of the control knobs in my 2000 Jetta, 1.8T. It happened approximately a year after I bought it and the dealer fixed it under warranty. The problem was a faulty lamp that provides illumination for that section of the instrument panel. For me, the panel deteriorated (intermittent operation) and then died alltogether. That's when I took it to the dealer.
    I've never had problems with the factory radio. However, earlier this year (summer) I replaced the factory radio with an aftermarket radio/CD. Before then, it worked flawlessly.
    Hope that helps.
  • Options
    dancermandancerman Member Posts: 220
    Just had our Jetta at the dealer for 10k mile service. The only problem so far has been a DOA Monsoon Radio. It was replaced. Average mpg is 25. Most is local driving at 45 mph or less. We did go on a few trips and have gotten better than 30 mpg. Our best was 34 mpg. We like the Jetta alot. The V6 is very quick to 70 mph. We do notice that power above 70 mph is lacking. Do wish it had more console storage.
  • Options
    wesbcwesbc Member Posts: 9
    My brother in-law's 99 Jetta's muffler fell off. It was funny the reason the dealer gave me for this, (living near the coast here in NJ) I have a 94 accord and a 95 civic and I don't see that prob. Sucks is that now that I'm trying to trade it in, I'm only being offered approx $5000. Would a VW dealer give a better trade? Not getting another VW, but just so happen that VW dealer is also a Honda dealer!
  • Options
    Does your brother in-law live in East Stroudsburg, PA?
  • Options
    wesbcwesbc Member Posts: 9
    No, my brother in-law lived in northern NJ for sometime and currently reside in southern NJ. The vehicle have only be driven within NJ and to NY. I couldn't believe it when he told me the muffler just fell off due to rust. Had to had the whole thing from the CAT conveter be replaced. Dealer quoted my over $500. Found a good discount placed and replaced for only $265.
  • Options
    "I couldn't believe it when he told me the muffler just fell off due to rust."

How old was the car?
  • Options
    about 2-3 weeks ago...I noticed a guy in a silver Jetta, whom I see frequently on my commute (I work in NJ) when we hit the tighter turns, sparks from is rusted out muffler (easy to see at night).
  • Options
    minmetminmet Member Posts: 1
    I am a new member on this board. I am looking for some help to pin point the problem for my newly purchased 97 Jetta automatic. In the first couple hours driving of each start, the car won't pull ahead around 50 mph while the engine reviving crazy up to red zone. The car runs fine at lower speed. Does that mean the auto tranny is gone? Thanks in advance for any advice!

min
  • Options
    krautkarvr6krautkarvr6 Member Posts: 23
    First...minmet...go back to your original thread and read my repsonse about your transmission.

In response to the person who said the VR6 lacks power above 70 mph.....I would have to disagree. Do you ever cruise with it above 80 mph? This engine does have variable valve timing and I do agree that between 65 and 80 mph it feels a bit sluggish, but thats because you are carrying the rpm (around 3000 rpm in a 5 speed manual) that is right before the change to the more aggressive valve timing and lift. I drove my Jetta to Washinton State and back to Va. last year and believe me, it has power in the upper ranges. The VR6 Jetta (12 valve) LOVES 80+ mph. I cruised across Wyoming at 3AM at 100 mph for almost an hour. The car had PLENTY of power. I even did a couple of "bursts" up to 125 and it pulled nice and strong.

To Ik4sp.....while under your "bumper to bumper" warranty your dealer should look into and fix (with or without) parts any problem you bring to their attention. FREE OF CHARGE to you. That's what a warranty period is all about. It sounds like you have a dealer that is less than honest. Do yourself a favor. When VW calls to ask you about your experience with this dealership give them all 1 (worst) ratings. And tell them why. These calls from VW KILL a dealer when they are negative. It affects the dealer's rating with VW, and it also effects which cars they get and when and also whether or not they remain a VW dealer or not in the long run. Even if they are a high volume dealer it will still effect them.

My car has 30 K on it now and thank GOD I haven't had any of the electric or rattle problems I'm seeing here. In fact it's been great. But I have noticed that the rear pads are wearing MUCH faster than the fronts. They are about to be in need of replacement. Also, they of course make my rear wheels much dirtier than my front ones. I went to :

http://www.alldata.com/TSB/0162_mo.html

And found a recall on my car for the ABS control unit. I believe this may be a source of my wear problem.

1. RECALLWJ MAR 02 Recall - ABS Control Unit Replacement

My advice to anyone here is to go to this site to look up your car. It may be helpful to you.

• Options
    Welcome!