Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• ctaylor4ctaylor4 Member Posts: 9
    no it doesnt have the letter J in it. it does have a K though, if that means anything.

They dealer put new tires on it. The ones that were on it looked ok..but they though perhaps there was something wrong with them. So new tires..re alignment again and it doesnt pull anymore.

I find it 'favors' the left..but its not a pull like it was.

Compared to other cars I've had it seems to follow the road more. Now, this is if i hold the steering wheel very loose. With normal driving it seems ok. I'm just senstitve now to it from looking for the pull.

I found it will drift on the same section of road everytime. my other cars didnt do this.

strange car. but smooth!
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    consistencies, different odors, and even a slightly different color...

Their coolant has been red for most of a decade now.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• xbbusterxbbuster Member Posts: 145
    The dealer couldn't tell the difference either. I had my Camry for only a few days when I spotted a three inch diameter puddle of a reddish fluid on the garage floor right where the front of the car was parked. I took the car back immediately to the dealer thinking it was ATF or steering fluid. They put it on the lift and told me it the steering pump was leaking and they would order a new one. When I got home in their loaner I wiped up the fluid on the floor but it wasn't steering fluid. It was the red coolant that had overflowed. I think the dealer put one over on Toyota. Makes me think they wouldn't hesitate to do the same thing to anyone in or out of warranty.
  • tomf13tomf13 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1992 Toyota Camry with a 2.2 liter four cylinder engine. Other than that I blew the transaxle recently (at 168,000 miles) I really like this car. I am looking for a good transaxle to install in the car but I'm confused by some of the claims of interchangability. Does anyone know, for sure, what all years of transaxles from four cylinder Camrys will work in my 1992? Thanks - Tom
  • andamoandamo Member Posts: 3
    We bought a new 2002 Camry SE in November. This past January when my wife went to leave work on a exceptionally cold windy day, the car wouldn't back up. Some of her fellow workers came out to help and 2 of the fellows said there was no automatic transmission fluid. I called the dealer and they sent a tow truck and took it to the dealership. Now this car had about 1800 miles on it. The check engine light was on when my wife couldn't back it up and was on when I went to help the tow truck driver. The car started right up, backed up, and I moved it to the tow truck. The next day the dealership called and said nothing was wrong ! They also couldn't find any codes stored in 3 computers saying anything was wrong. It seems to me there is something wrong or going wrong with the transmission. Any thoughts or similar happenings ?
  • 1violinist1violinist Member Posts: 338
    If the temperature is way below freezing there's a chance that the gear and/or the transmission fluid freeze. If you warm up the engine before you start driving it should be ok.

If you live in an area where the temperature drops below freezing, make sure you use the right type of fluids:

Engine oil: 5W-30 instead of 10W-30
    Coolant: put 60-70% ethylene-glycol anti-freeze
    Washer: use anti-freeze washer fluid

Keep some de-icer in your car just in case you need it.

Good luck!
    Tony
    I have lived in this area (Pittsburgh) to be sure and run the correct fluids in the winter months. With that out of the way, does anyone have any idea what temperature ATF will start to "gel"? I really think this is where the problem lies. The idiots at the dealership look at you when I suggested this as if they got a dose of temporary stupidity.
    The ATF my dealer uses is Dexron II - Dexron III compatible. It has a freezing point @ -5 F., which works great considering that I live in Southern CA. -- actually, here we're more concerned with the 'boiling point' of ATF rather than the 'freezing point'!

The new (and expensive) synthetic ATF's have freezing points @ -78 F.; some even don't freeze period!

Hope that helps you.
    Tony
    This might be the problem Tony. The day my wife was having problems was VERY cold. I believe the outside temp. was ~-7 with the wind blowing all day long. Before next winter sets in I am going to change out the fluid to the synthetic. Thank you very much for the help.
    You need an ATF like Pennzoil (freezing point -71 F.):
    http://www.pennzoil.com/penn/products/car_truck/pdfs/gearoil/atf.- pdf

Drive safely and keep warm!
    Tony
  • jojo42jojo42 Member Posts: 2
    I'm not a Camry owner yet, but wondering if there are any comments good/bad about a 2001 V6 Camry.
    Hoping to purchase one soon!
    Thanks.........J
    jojo42,

It's an excellent car. I've had it for 2 years now and I'm very pleased with its performance and reliability. In my opinion, it's better than the 2002-2003 model. The 2001 is the last Camry model made in Japan. Camries are now made in the USA for the local market and there seems to be a difference!

Go for it!
    Tony
  • jojo42jojo42 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, Tony!

This is my first "solo" car purchase and I've never bought used before so I'm a little nervous! People are telling me the 4 cyl is just as good as the V6, but I travel a lot and like the extra power over a 4 cyl.

I'll know by the weekend!
    J
  • 1994camry1994camry Member Posts: 3
    I have a 94 Camry that I bought used about 18 months ago. From the maintenance records it had oil changes about every 7000 miles. I have been changing it much more frequently - every 3000 miles. About 6 months after I bought it, the low oil pressure light started coming on during trips. After I let the car sit for a while the light would go off. Occurences got more frequent so I brought it to a repair shop. They ran it through one of the engine cleaning treatments, dropped the pan, cleaned the screen, etc. It appeared to be okay for a couple months and then started acting up again. It now can come on for very short trips, 5-10 miles. It never comes on right at startup. Speeds do not appear to matter, nor hills. Sometimes it flickers, sometimes it is solid.

Looking for ideas as to what may be causing it. I hate to spend $500 for this cleaning again to last a couple months. If the engine was worn, wouldn't the low pressure occur at low idle speeds but not highway speeds? Anyone heard of using transmission fluid in with your oil to clean your engine? Will the sludge keep reoccuring? Is there a full proof way to remove it?

I've read about other Toyota oil sludge problems and the Special Policy Adjustment, but unfortunately, it cuts off at 1997 and does not apply to my 1994 Camry.
    exactly were they cleaning? This is an odd story. The auto transmission has a screen inside - is that what you mean?

And how do you know the engine is sludged? Are you guessing, or have you actually seen the sludge (it will be visible through the oil fill hole)?

This sounds a lot more like an oil light malfunctioning - have you had it checked?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• bronzemaxellbronzemaxell Member Posts: 55
    most of the camry are built in US, i managed to buy a 03 camry SE 5SP that has a vin# start with JTxxx, not sure if there is any difference where they were built, but i do still own a 94 camry LE V6, and 99 Lexus RX300, all were made in Japan, no problem on any of the vehicle yet.
    so there is still a very small percentage of camry came to US by boat
  • jcfcjcfc Member Posts: 5
    I've a 03 camry LE that has a vin# start with JT... Did you notice the difference in the front bumper cover compared to a US built camry ? Mine has a small disticnt square mark (2"x2") and the fog lamps area appears to be detachable. I've asked the dealer about the mark, they don't know what is that for ? Does your Camry has the same type of bumper cover as mine ?
    Thanks,
  • gtahobegtahobe Member Posts: 42
    I too have a 03 Camry LE made in Japan (J...). My paperwork even had the port that it came into, Baltimore, I think. Yes, it was an East coast port.

The 2x2 mark is a cover that will pop off to allow access to a threaded hole. Into this threaded hole, you can screw a heavy-duty eye-bolt that can then be used to drag your Camry out of the snow, ditch, or whatever. This Heavy-duty eye-bolt is conveniently located in the trunk, in the spare tire compartment, next to the jack crank.

I hope you never have to use it.

Also notice two tow-hooks located along the underside of the back bumper, almost directly under each rear brake light.

Later.
    To answer your questions, the screen I am talking about is behind the oil pan, I believe. The first time I had it in the shop, they decided to replace the screen due to the build up of sludge.

I have not seen the sludge myself, since I'm not exactly sure what to look for. Would I see it when doing oil changes or near the filter?

I'm coming to the conclusion that it is a sluge problem again, since the light does not come on immediately when I start my car. It usually takes 10-15 miles before the light comes on.

On one recent long distance travel, the light came on and stayed on for 100 miles. I thought maybe it was just like light malfunctioning, until I heard my engine making a racketing noise. I think this was the rods in my engine hitting metal on metal. After sitting for 20 minutes and turning my car back on, the light was off and I completed my ride.

I don't think it is the oil light, but I am going to replace the sending unit anyway, to at least eliminate that possibility.

Thanks for you help!
  • astorey1astorey1 Member Posts: 41
    The carpeted wall next to the gas pedal keeps falling down and just hanging. This has started happening on a regular basis? It takes forever to push it back in and get it like it should be. Should I contact the dealer about this or just deal with it?
  • bronzemaxellbronzemaxell Member Posts: 55
    i've also noticed that on my 03 SE, i thought all camry has it?? i read the manual book, and it is for towing, but when i asked the sales guy the day i bought it, he said it is for outside temperature sensor, and i told him he bs with me.
    it is a malfunctioning warning light...you drove it 100 miles with the oil light on and the rods "clanking"? If the light is working, that engine is toast.

If the light only comes on after everything has heated up, that bodes ill too: rod knock maybe, if it is clanking, or something like it.

I am so curious to hear what this mystery screen is inside the oil pan - never heard of such a thing.

get the dealer to fix it! Your car is brand new! Not to mention it could be a safety issue if that carpeting somehow gets tangled with the gas pedal and you can't slow down...

I was in the middle of a long distance trip when the light began as a periodic flicker, eventually becoming solid 100 miles later. That was when I got off the road and hear the racketing. I did not hear racketing when I was traveling at higher speeds.

The "mystery" screen... I'm not a car expert, I have not see the screen myself, nor do I know where it's located. It was my guess that this screen is near the oil pump, which is sucking in oil from the oil pan. The point was that I have had the screen cleaned to remove oil sludge build up.
    oil pump, oil sender, many other things besides sludging, if in fact there is sludging, and not a story to get you out of the mechanic's hair...

my bet is no longer on malfunctioning light with these stories of "clanking".

The carpeted wall next to the gas pedal keeps falling down and just hanging. This has started happening on a regular basis. It takes forever to push it back in and get it like it should be but then you can still see it pooched out some. Should I contact the dealer about this or just deal with it?
  • jtbruinjtbruin Member Posts: 40
    I just got my '03 camry le, in the dark blue color. I bought it at night about a week ago and the dealer told me that if i noticed any scratches that i should let him know.

WEll, i finally inspected the car and noticed quite a few scratches (some or kind of like scrapes, such that no paint is gone) on the car and some major scratches in the grooves of the car handles. Of course, i didn't make any of these scratches, but do you think that the dealer will do anything especially since it has been a week and i already signed the contract? should i ask for a new paint job or somthine? or am i screwed for not checking when i bought it. thanks
  • toyotaguy3toyotaguy3 Member Posts: 1
    that rotten egg smell is just the catalytic converter. it is harmless and common.
    I don't care if the rotten egg smell is "common" but I paid $21,000 for a brand new car and it should not have this stinch about it at any time. This is an issue that Toyota needs to take seriously.
    jtbruin,

You already signed an 'inspection sheet' when you received your car from the dealer. All scrathces/dents should have been mentioned on it. So, technically you're stuck with it, but since the dealer told you to inform him about scratches (I guess he knew about them)I would take it back to him ASAP. It doesn't need a 'paint job' -- just a few touch-ups.

Talk to the same guy who told you about finding the scratches and don't ask him if they can do it or not; just show him the scratches and ask him when you can pick up the car after it's done.

If you're not satisfied with the dealer you can mention that in the questionnaire that Toytoa will mail you soon -- dealers get very sensitive about this evaluation because it affects their status.

Good luck!
    Tony
  • munasmunas Member Posts: 1
    I have bought a 1997 Camry LE 3 months back with leather interior. I noticed after purchase that there are wind noise. Please let me know if you have faced this problem and most inexpensive solution.
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    Screen = oil pump pickup screen.
  • cmore2cmore2 Member Posts: 1
    Bought a 2002 Camry in Sep 2001 and during the first 1000 miles noticed a jerking sensation at speeds between 40-50 mph.

Took it in for several service bulletin modifications but the problem is now hidden. Instead of bucking, I'm getting a slight delay as if a gust of wind hit me.

Anyone else experiencing this problem? Hard not to notice while maintaining a steady speed between 40 -50mph.

Also since the modifications, I'm getting a clunk when I engage the transmission in the morning.

What a dog.

You may email privately to cmore77@attbi.com
  • gamehengamehen Member Posts: 6
    Have a 1995 Camry with 107,000 miles. In excellent shape but recently started hearing a clicking noise from the left front wheel when turning. Has been gradually getting louder. Doesn't appear to be a gridning noise but rather clicking when the wheel is turned.
    Taking it in for service this Thursday -- but was wondering if anyone out there might be able to tell me what it could be?
  • airman72airman72 Member Posts: 19
    My '03 Camry is only 3 months old. I got the ERR1 code yesterday on the CD player, which refused to play for a while. After I tried a few CD's, it went back to normal, seemingly without a problem now. I am not using CD-R/RW. Did anyone experience this error code? What is it, and will it come back?
    bad CV joint - you will need te replace the half axle most likely.

• shawnmaloneshawnmalone Member Posts: 71
    I want to disconnect the Check Engine Light in my five-year-old Toyota Camry.

Anybody know how to do this? Is there a wire I can cut or something?

Thanks!
  • 02camryseowner02camryseowner Member Posts: 20
    Shawn, anybody with the right equipment can reset that light in about 45 seconds. I don't think killing the light is a good idea. Maybe one day somebody owns the car and isn't alerted in time to save the engine... (My ex once drove a car without oil in--people do funny things).

:)
  • xonxon Member Posts: 9
    The carpet wall in my '02 Camry next to my gas pedal isn't falling but is worn down and tearing, I guess because I rest my leg against it while driving.
  • xonxon Member Posts: 9
    Every now and then, the brakes in my '02 Camry sink to the floor a few minutes after I stop for a light. Once, again, when I addressed this to the dealer, I got the usual response: "it is normal" I'm also noticing some jerking in the car, however, at low speeds around 20-30 mph. I'll bring it to the dealer, but I'm expecting the typical answer. . .
  • shawnmaloneshawnmalone Member Posts: 71
    Derick, I hear you, maybe someday somebody will want to know about it. If I sell it (unlikely, I bought a Toyota planning to drive it into the ground) I PROMISE you I will warn the next owner that they need to re-connect the CEL.

My problem (I'm not going to go into a long story here) is that so many trivial things cause the CEL to come on that it's nothing but an irritation, and I still want to MAKE IT STOP! Can anybody tell me how?

Thanks.
    You can put a sticker on it so you don't see it!
  • gamehengamehen Member Posts: 6
    Reference below reply #1329 to 95 CAMRY CV joint problem

"bad CV joint - you will need to replace the half axle most likely."

ANY IDEA HOW MUCH THIS MIGHT COST AT A TOYOTA DEALER/SERVICE SHOP? THANKS
  • 02camryseowner02camryseowner Member Posts: 20
    Hmmm, no I don't know to disconnect it easily. I couldn't even figure out how to remove my instrument panel in my '02. Without removing the panel it'd be difficult to trace the wire. Maybe a Chilton's manual would have the wiring info?

My friend says you can buy a device to clear the lights, but I doubt that would be cost-effective.
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    I have not seen anything like this since the heater core went on my '75 Firebird many many years ago.....I have noticed a film build up on the inner windshield of my 2002 Camry. I assume there is no anti freeze leak on such a new car, I smell nothing and I think the resevoir is where it should be. What would cause this film to appear. I cleaned the windows but over time it comes back. It does not stop you from seeing out but it is there, all you need do is swipe your finger over it and it 'wipes' away.....
  • xbbusterxbbuster Member Posts: 145
    I've noticed the same thing. It's as if someone was smoking in the car.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,150
    Is it the plastics giving off their polymerizing chemicals. Are you in a warm climate? It's usually worse during hot times for the first year.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

probably $500 or more at a Toyota dealership, but this is one repair you can save a lot of $$ on by going to an independent. I bet if I dug around where I am I could get it for $300-350, and California is more expensive for most repairs than other parts of the country.

• andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    I am in PA and I'd say the film developed over the winter. Never heard of platics giving off film....at least it never happened on the Fords I owned. It was suggested in another forum that perhaps there is a pinhole size leak somewhere...hope not! I was hoping this was something common to Camry's or Toyota's and I'd see a bunch of 'Oh Yea - don't worry about it' type repsponses here!
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    I have had three cars that this film develops. First was an 1983 Chevy Celebrity(really bad case of it) second a 1990 Taurus and also my current 2000 Taurus which were not as bad as the Celebrity. This film is definitely due to the plasticizers in the plastic interior surfaces bleeding off and evaporating and then depositing on the windows. (unless you do have a pinhole heater core leak) All those soft cushiony surfaces have more plasticizers than the harder plastics. It most definitely shows up in the summer more and seems to develop for me more on the rear window than the windshield. I usually clean the windows in the warmer months about once every 2-4 weeks-depending on how ambitious I am. The fogging goes on for years as well, though in very hot climates most of it may bleed off earlier and then slow down as the car ages.
This discussion has been closed.