Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Camry: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Options
    purrformabvspcpurrformabvspc Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2001 Solara V6.
     My ABS after heavy usage last winter, start to lock up and my dry braking distance increase at 35K.
    * I bleed the brake system, and found metal shavings & dirty brake fluid. (Based on the advise of a mechanical engineer & he recommends bleeding brake system every 36K. This a normal practice in Europe on ABS brake system.)
  • Options
    fourseasfourseas Member Posts: 15
    Yes, that is the correct location/picture for the bushings to replace. Change both sides together. You will be surprised with the results. Good luck!
  • Options
    purrformabvspcpurrformabvspc Member Posts: 4
    The RPM stays hi w/ foot off gas pedal in very cold temp. I suspect ice formation on the butterfly valve(Throttle).

*Found PCV valve clog & so I took the throttle body apart.
    => Found oil gum up & all over the intake system fwd to air filter housing.
    It wasn't fun, but I cleaned it with a toothbrush & throttle cleaner.

Anybody know why this happens?

I have been using Mobil 1 since 5000K, and had a $10 Fram oil filter leak.(bad gasket) My auto tranny & differential fluid are also Mobil 1. My engine RMP 5000 to 5500 w/ auto tranny on acceleration.
    Oil change every 5000 to 7000K. No sludge problems.
    I am using K&N oil filter now. b/c I could apply safety wire to secure filter from spinning loose. This was a problem in the past.
  • Options
    aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    i have a '98 lexus es300 - i figure it has many common parts with the camry and was hoping someone here might know how to fix my problem.

The right front turn signal doens't work; the bulb is good and the fuses are good, but the indicator on my dash just blinks really fast. The rear indicator works.

Is there a relay somewhere in the wiring?
  • Options
    dekesterdekester Member Posts: 322
    Had the same problem in my Olds Intrigue a few months ago. The second (bright) filament in the bulb (front indicator) was bad. I replaced both bulbs (so the amber color was the same from side to side) and I haven't had a reocurrance.

Try it - bulbs should run you no more than $5. Make sure you get the exact same type as a replacement as the DRL lights are different.

Deke
  • Options
    I did replace the bulbs - even though they looked fine and the problem didn't go away.

I fear there is a relay some where in the wiring that may be difficult to find.
  • Options
    The ony other thing I can think of - and that I've heard of happening - is the bulb socket may be bad and need to be replaced.

Deke
  • Options
    that's a pretty good hypothesis
    I'll look into replacing it.

thanks
  • Options
    docbuckeyedocbuckeye Member Posts: 10
    NHTSA.org lists most recent 2003 Camry service bulletin as November 14, 2003. Describes it as: (ENGINE CONTROL MODULE (ECM) CALIBRATION - SHIFTING ENHANCEMENT. *TT)

Anyone know what this service bulletin addresses and if the "enhancement" works? Any chance it resolves some of the hesitancy reported by some owners? Thanks.
  • Options
    Where did you find that notice? I have a 2003 LE V6 and want to keep up an any and all service bulletins/advisories, etc.

Thanks,

Deke
  • Options
    jade1jade1 Member Posts: 4
    Hi,all.
    My 96'camry le v6 was wonderful except some noise from the front wheels when i made a turn. So i had a mechanic to repair the cv axles,after that,the ABS indicator will come on while driving,(but the vehicle self-check is ok,the indicator will turn on then turn off).the mechanic told me that was just a sensor promble.I had the toyota dealer check it ,the dealer told me that :
    the right front wheel speed sensor bolt is broken off in spindle,and wheel speed sensor will not fit in spindle hole.The dealer attempted to remove broken wheel speed sensor bolt from spondle ,bolt seized in spindle,he also found the speed sensor will not fit in hole ,while appears that spindle had been replaced at on time with part from recking yard,,possibly the part is incorrect for this year vehicle .I remembered that the mechanic did told me that he cann't remove the old bearing and went to another repair shop had it done and changed a new one .I think the mechanic did something wrong,and the dealer asked a huge bill (about $1000)to replace the whole stuff.what shall I do? can i ask the mechanic pay the bill ? at least ,a part of it,or let him repair the camry again(i dare not)? and can I drive the vehicle safely?

And ,last enening ,I had the vehicle oid changed,the guys who changed the oil had checked the signal / tail /brake /third brake /head lights,all are ok.But,i found the front side marker lights does not work,what wrong is that?

WAITING ONLINE-----

THX SO MUCH IN ADVANCE!!
  • Options
    davidldavidl Member Posts: 3
    Hi everyone.

I am the proud owner of an '04 V6 SE.

Unfortunately, my chair squeaks. Whenever I go over bumps, or brake or gas too hard, I can hear it. Part of the squeak is the leather rubbing up against the plastic base, but some of the sound I'm pretty sure if coming from inside the seat.

I have leather seats(not the sport leather), and the heated seats option as well. Is the chair itself broken? Or is this a design flaw?

My second question is on the VSC. I didn't add this as an option and was wondering if this is just code for the computer chip and can it be added now and if so...how much are they going to overcharge me.

Thanks.
  • Options
    parksrparksr Member Posts: 11
    This is a reply to above message about a Camry with a Hesitation/Vibration when starting out at about 20-25 mph. The first visit, the dealer said it was normal for the torque converter.

I just returned from my Toyota dealer a few minutes ago. They are going to replace my transmission with a new one. Not sure whether to be happy or not. The car is only three weeks old. I feel like I am getting ripped. I bought a "NEW" car, now they are screwing around with the transmission. Not a real good feeling. I have pitched a fit, but will probably not get anywhere.
    Ron
  • Options
    nw1997nw1997 Member Posts: 227
    parksr,

I understand your situation. This problem sounds like what was happening in the 03 Accords. If I were in your situation I would speak to the GM of the dealership and have them swap cars, they can easily re-sell that vehicle as a demo or use it as a service car/loaner, which I am sure is done all over. For a vehicle, especially Toyota's to have a defective tranny in less than three weeks is rare, mostly Honda had issues in the past. I would definitely recommend you making calls, follow-up's and be on their backs. No vehicle is perfect, but a major component as a tranny should last the life of the vehicle if maintained.
  • Options
    You can find the Camry service bulletins at www.nhtsa.org. Check their service bulletin database. Unfortunately, they just list titles and not details.
  • Options
    andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    look in the rattles forumn...some kind fellow posted a zip file with TSBs and details. Not sure where he got them.
  • Options
  • Options
    nickbailynickbaily Member Posts: 2
    Problems: when shifting from park to drive, there is
    a 1-3 second hesitation, then the transmission "clunks"
    into gear.

secondly, when driving downhill, if I remove foot
    from accelerator, transmission downshifts with a
    hard jerk, then whines and vibrates.
    Dealer in Hollywood admits problems, states that the
    torque converter is at fault, and that Toyota has
    NO solution.
    Please help.
  • Options
    simple solution...tell them they have 2 more attempts to get it fixed then you will be seeking to return the car under the lemon law.
  • Options
    Anyone notice the 2003 Camry trunk interior is so well trimmed and padded that there is no exposed metal or hole to hook a bungee cord onto to hold the trunk lid down if you're hauling something big? Here's a solution...

The padding on the interior of the trunk lid is held in place with small black plastic rivets. They can be easily removed with a phillips screw driver (twist the inner circle while holding the outside edge). Remove one on each side. In it's place, screw in a 5/16" eye bolt, about 1-3 inches in length. The hole is the perfect size to grab the bolt threads, no additional nuts needed. Use an eye BOLT, not screw eye.

Not sure just how much force the bolts can withstand, but certainly enough to hold the lid down. Too bad Toyota didn't incorporate something initially.
  • Options
    cam2003cam2003 Member Posts: 131
    There is nothing at front Camry to tie down the canoe. Any suggestion ?
  • Options
    YES. I NOTICED THIS IN HOME DEPOT AFTER PACKING MY TRUNK FULL! I like your solution. Here's another. By one of those foam pipe insulation wraps. These are the ones sold in 4 foot long sections that are meant to insulate your housepipes from the cold. They are split down the side. Whenever I need to tie down my truck, I slip one of these along the bottom edge of the truck so it does not get chipped up. It usually stays in place and if it were to fall off it would not damage any other vehicle and you would only be out .79 or so.
  • Options
    nickbailynickbaily Member Posts: 2
    to andrelaplume:

thanks for the advice. will consider. lemon law
    requires that I pay for the use of the vehicle to date.
    that would mean a 6000 thousand dollar shortfall for me. is there a technical solution that you or anyone else may know of?
    thanks for your responses.
    nick
  • Options
    webguysterwebguyster Member Posts: 434
    My Solara always has had a rough 1-2 and 2-1 shift in the transmition, dealer says they all do. Neighbors Camry, long since traded was a 4 banger and smooth.
  • Options
    dpchaidpchai Member Posts: 2
    Hi everybody,

Does any know how to change the shift console bulb for a 2001 toyota camry CE?

Thanks in advance

dpchai
  • Options
    dpchaidpchai Member Posts: 2
    Hi everybody,

My 2001 Camry is hard to puch the gas pedal sometime, it looks like the cable stuck somewhere.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

dpchai
  • Options
    scamrysscamrys Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem about ayear ago on my 2001 camry and i took it to the delarship and they said it was due to carpet fiber build up and some other stuff and they performed some service on it and it hasnt happend since try checking with your nearest delarship
  • Options
    buster6buster6 Member Posts: 134
    Hi everyone, I have an 02 SE V6, I have enjoyed 70k pretty trouble free miles. I have one problem that comes and goes. The steering wheel squeaks as I am turning it. I asked the service advisor about it, his comment was:

Just spray some wd40 in it to see if it clears it up, which I liked the idea of, but as soon as he ran to get some, the shop supervisor came out and said that it was a bad idea, it might mess something up badly--so bring it in on another day when we can take it apart and look at it.

The thing that really bothers me is that the car was recalled for a drivers side air bag problem, so they replaced it (no noise prior to the replacement--and the techs taking the steering wheel apart). Now the car is way out of warranty, and I am tempted to just spray the wd40 myself. Any thoughts if it will mess anything up in there?

Anyone else experienced this?

Thanks
  • Options
    Just had my 02 fixed a week ago. It would do this in the very cold weather. When I was in for my oil change I mentioned it and they new exactly what was wrong right away. Evedently it is common enough that there is a TSB. My invoice noted: Tech lubed steering shaft per TSB. Mine was under warranty. Ask your dealer to pull the TSB and ask then what it would cost you...assuming you have no extended warranty. If it is expensive get Toyota on the phone....no reason it should do this irregardless of the miles.
  • Options
    typesixtypesix Member Posts: 321
    It's a common problem. It's not a stuck cable but carbon buildup on the throttle valve that needs to be periodically cleaned. The valve is located on the long air tube near the back of the engine where the flexible hose supplying combustion air connects to.
  • Options
    chrismchrism Member Posts: 3
    My new camry shifted real bad from the time we took delivery. First it shifted to fast on normal acceleration, and it would hesitate and buck between 2nd and 3rd gear. First i was told this is normal because of the new 5spd auto trans and the shift by wire technology. I got lucky and brought the car back for the cowl rattle, which did fix the noise, and told them again about the shifting issue and was lucky enough to have the buck happen when the tech was test driving. First they did a update on the computer and told me to drive it and see what happens. It did not work. It bucked pulling out of the dealership. I came back 3 days later and they got Toyota involved. They were told to erase the computer and reprogram it as if it was a new car, and also to test drive for 15 miles. So far it works great, i hope this helps others who are complaining about the trans.
  • Options
    dchdch Member Posts: 4
    There is a solution. Have them replace the transmission, because my 03 SE 4 cylinder transmission shifts very smoothly
  • Options
    yopperyopper Member Posts: 1
    Four months ago my wife purchased a 2004 camry XLE with the "advanced airbag detection system". The problem is every time I sit in the passenger seat the S.E.S airbag warning light come on. I've been told that when this happens the passenger's airbag is disabled. After six attempts to repair the problem Toyota service rep (Harry Peterson) has acknowledged that the problem is the design of the seat sensors. There is a problem with them when a tall or heavy person sit in the seat. And I am 6'2" and 300 lbs. What I would like to know is the anybody else out there that has the same problem? And if so has it been resolved?
  • Options
    camrytimecamrytime Member Posts: 1
    Hello would like some info on the need to or need not to have the engine gasgets replaced. I know there is a secret warranty out there where Toyota has to replace them at no cost. Not A Secret anymore eh! I just bought a 2001 Camry XLE V6. with 19000 kilometeres. Please let me know ... thankyou ...
  • Options
    chrismchrism Member Posts: 3
    My 04 XLE does the same thing, but i was told this system monitors if someone is sitting in the passenger seat. My understanding is when the light is on the airbag is activated. If a small child were to sit in the seat, the light should not go on because you do not want the airbag activated. If there was on a driver in the car when a front end accident happened, only the driver's airbag would deploy.
  • Options
    kehuangkehuang Member Posts: 2
    I can hear one or two clicking sounds when I turn the wheel. I couldn't believe that only after 7000 miles, the bearing could be going bad.
    Does anyone has similar problem?
  • Options
    scoti1scoti1 Member Posts: 676
    In reply to #2114 2001 CAMRY V6 ENGINE GASGETS REPAIR, I am not familiar with a head gasket secret warranty. There is a policy that covers engine sludge (or gel) for a period of 8 years from the original purchase date, unlimited miles. It covers the 2001 4 cyl. and V-6 Camry's as well as several other models and years.
  • Options
    gavin3gavin3 Member Posts: 2
    Re: Stablizer bar bushings

Done job mate. Worked like a dream.

Thanks for confirming and your help.

:-)))
  • Options
    jay20jay20 Member Posts: 1
    Dear friends in this discussion board, I am having
    a problem for my new 2004 Toyota camry limited edition LE model. I had this car for about two months, and had only driven 600 miles so far. I noticed that there were quite a lot of water leaking from the bottom of car after I drive for a while. I did not turn the AC or defrost on. What could be the problem ? If someone could give me some guides, I would appreciate it very much.

Thanks a lot.

Jay
  • Options
    railroad17railroad17 Member Posts: 18
    My 1997 Camry LE has its light bulbs burnt on the control knobs, transmission panel(D,P,N,R, etc) and air direction control knobs.

Can someone tell me how could I change the bulbs myself since the shop wants to charge me $150.00 to get them replaced.

I've taken the battery cables for airbags but don't know where to take off the panels to get to the bulbs. Any comments will be much appreciated.
  • Options
    ricwricw Member Posts: 1
    I just bought my Camry LE a week ago. My brake
    occasionally has some kind of jerking feeling when
    I step on it. I just wonder anyone has similar
    problem? Thanks for reply
  • Options
    tyresmokertyresmoker Member Posts: 266
    I had a '96 a few years ago with the same situation.
    Easy fix, there is a drain hose attached to condensor that (believe it or not) sometimes bugs climb into and block it. As a result, excess condensed water drained into (in my case) the passenger footwell. A quick shot with compressed air freed the hose and about a gallon of water came pouring out..
    You are still under warranty..bring it in and they should sort it out in short order..
  • Options
    edgaremedgarem Member Posts: 58
    Have checked out a few other domestic owner boards, and realize just how well Toyota stacks up! FYI, my '92 Camry V6 LE is running nicely at 275K with NO repairs excepting CV boots at 200K, one exhaust pipe, and regular maintenance.

BTW, usually on Mazda 3 board - wife just bought one. Great car also.
  • Options
    mtdavis0mtdavis0 Member Posts: 10
    Hi, I'm putting in a CD player in my daughters car. Afeter taking out the radio, I've lost power to the radio and car digital clock. I've never worked on a Camry and can't find the fuse box.

I've opened two (2) fuse/relay boxes next to the battery. Neither seems to identify the radio fuse.

Thanks very much!

Is there another fuse box inside the cabin (kick panel etc?)
  • Options
    bronzemaxellbronzemaxell Member Posts: 55
    have you check the one somewhere under the steering wheel? not exactly under, but near the hook release handle, you will see a retanglular removable panel, if you open that, you will see a couple more fuese.
  • Options
    slov98slov98 Member Posts: 112
    I also had this issue first few thousands miles, I don't notice it anymore
  • Options
    mtdavis0mtdavis0 Member Posts: 10
    Thanks for the response.

05:30 this morning off to the garage.
    Searched again to no avail... looked on the passenger side - zip. Went back to the driver side, looked closer at the kick plate - zip.

Stared at the dash... Opened the courtesy drawer right above the parking brake... its filled with coins. Shined flashlight at the drawer... SAW RED and BLUE FUSES behind the drawer. BINGO

Fuses were hidden too well... gotta hand it to Toyota, neatly hidden and back of drawer had diagram.

Changed fuse, didn't have to sing on the way to work.

Thanks again.
  • Options
    fiftytwomvfiftytwomv Member Posts: 4
    We have two Camry's, 2003 and 2004, both with 6 cylinder engines. The recommended service interval for the 2003 is 7,500 miles (5,000 miles for hard driving) and 5,000 miles only, for the 2004. Does anyone know why Toyota reduced the basic service interval from 7,500 to 5,000 miles?
  • Options
    junepugjunepug Member Posts: 161
    I was told at the dealer that the miles between oil changes were reduced since many people would take the higher number and drive for a couple of thousand miles more and thereby cause oil gelling. They seem to feel that there will be no more oil problems with the 5,000 mile number. As for myself, I will stick to what I have been doing for the past 40 years and that is changing the oil between 3,000 and 4,000 miles. It may be old fashioned, but we have kept 4 of our cars in excess of 10 years and have not had any problems with the oil situation.
  • Options
    yrneh1yrneh1 Member Posts: 25
    Today, my '99 Camry did something one sees only in movies. When I opened the door to get in, the door handle broke off. More specifically, the part where your hand grabs broke off from the main part of the door handle. Now, I have to use my finger nail to lift up the door handle slightly and glide the other handle under the space to pull open the door. What a pain in the butt!!! Furthermore, I go to the dealer to get it fixed, and they quote me $185 for parts and labor. I was curious as to see how much profit they are making, so I look up in the internet. The part only costs $22.50. Should I try to fix it myself? Or is it just not worth the trouble...

Either way, my confidence in Toyota reputation of quality is eroding rapidly.
This discussion has been closed.