Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Camry: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Options
    slov98slov98 Member Posts: 112
    Why not try a local mechanic if she's scared about brakes failing? that's what I would do, just let them look at it and give an estimate or say what's wrong, if it's urgent or not
  • Options
    wanna2002wanna2002 Member Posts: 23
    hboyd: I was discouraged to read that you continue to need your rotors replaced, because it seems I am in the same situation with my 2002 XLE. They were replaced at about 15,000 miles and at 40,000 they need to be replaced again. Is this a common problem with Camry or are there just a few unlucky ones, like us? Anybody else have to replace their rotors?
  • Options
    jeff1jeff1 Member Posts: 11
    I have a 04 Camery XLE. I found the Muffler shaked heavely when the car was started. The sound is loud when I start the engine. After the engine was started, everything is fine. Is it common?
    I did not notice the same problem with my old car.

Thanks!
  • Options
    camryman5camryman5 Member Posts: 10
    Are the costs associated with the TSBs that are listed on alldata.com covered by Toyota?
  • Options
    hank2hank2 Member Posts: 76
    I don't know the definitive answer, but if you have a problem that is within the warranty period, then Toyota should pay for the repairs.

If you are out of warranty and it is a documented "factory" problem [TSB], I don't know if you can force them to pay. However, many of the dealers like the goodwill and may make the repairs for you.

Finally, it you have a Camry 2003 or 2004, and the TSB is for the 2002, but the problem is identical (like a rattle), some folks have ahd problems getting the dealer to listen.

In any case, print the TSB and talk to both the Service Manager and to a lead mechanic (if needed), if you can get access.

Tell us about your experiences.

-Hank2
  • Options
    andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    A very nice person posted all the Toyota TSBs in the Rattles forum (I think), it was maybe a month or two ago. I did not appreciate this at the time since back then I did not know you had to pay for them.
  • Options
    gregoryc1gregoryc1 Member Posts: 764
    This problem is all over the "net"! Toyota owners are changing their engine oil sooner than 5,000 or 7,500 miles, and they are still forming sludge in their engines. What is the story on these engines????? ----Is it an oil, engine design, exhaust design or cooling system problem? ----What is Toyota doing about this issue? ----Does anyone on this board own a Toyota with this problem? ---What are your experiences with this issue, and Toyota as a company?
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    This issue was debated in the Town Hall some time ago. I suggest anyone interested should take some time to read through this topic.
  • Options
    junepugjunepug Member Posts: 161
    Your post is the first I have seen of this issue in about 6 months, and I do follow the boards on a regular basis. The problem was corrected during the 2002 model year.

Also, they advise for the 2004 models that the oil should be changed no later than 5000 mile interval. Part of the problem was people letting the oil change go over the 7500 mile limit. Therefore Toyota changed the manual to read 5000 miles.

If you have proof that the oil changes were done on a consistant basis within the required time frame, Toyota will replace the motor.

This is really, at this point, a dead issue and I have not seen any complaints on the web in the past six months.

I am in no way affiliated with Toyota.
  • Options
    solaraman2003solaraman2003 Member Posts: 92
    Overall, I am quite pleased with my 2003 Solara SLEv6.

This is my first auto with ANTILOCK BRAKES and TRACTION CONTROL.

I've seen these features in normal operation and believe that I can recognize them when
    they are in effect.

I'm experiencing 2 problems that might be related. They both relate to rain/water
    and they both relate to the front end. When hitting a bump AND puddle simultaneously on the right front side, I
    momentarily hear a clicking sound in the front. It's almost like a ratcheting sound and it
    remains for a few seconds, clicking about 3 to 6 times. The clicking sounds very much like a bad CV joint.

I feel no difference in the steering wheel or performance, however.

The second problem is that when driving in medium-to-heavy rain quite often the engine
    (or transmission) changes into a mode that makes it feel as if it has downshifted or something.
    The engine (or trans) noise is MUCH louder. I recall this happening in heavy snowfall as well. In fact, I recall
    one time just trying to get out of a parking spot in VERY heavy snow that this situation came up. So somehow it
    seems as though something is sensing that there is bad traction on the ground (?). When it gets into this mode,
    it seems to stay that way for at least a few minutes.

I have tried turning off TRAC (I think?), but I'm not sure if it's related to that system or not. I'm not even
    sure if turning off TRAC while the engine is running is even supposed to work that way.

I don't suspect that these problems have anything to do with ANTILOCK BRAKES, but I have not ruled out
    TRAC, since I don't know enough about it. I have played with the TRAC in the snow in a parking lot and
    was impressed with how well it worked, and it didn't make any such noises in those tests.

Any suggestions?

Thank you all, and thank you Edmunds for providing such a forum !
  • Options
    juzefmarjuzefmar Member Posts: 4
    Hello all,

I bought a 2000 Camry XLE V6 brand new in 2000. I've put 175,000 miles on it so far, mostly highway miles. I know that's alot of miles for such a short time but I thought this car would last me at least until 250,000 miles.

Well, yesterday, all of a sudden in the morning, I noticed some non-uniform vibration comming from the engine area while idle as well as during accelleration (although less so). Clearly, you can tell it's engine related :( When the car is situated down hill, the vibrations are least noticable and vice versa while up hill if that means anything.

I took it to a mechanic shop and a young lad (late 20's early 30's) told me after changing the spark plugs that the fourth cylinder is misfiring.

Please say it isn't so. I just closed on a mortgage yesterday (seriously)! :(

Can it be? Someone please tell me it's probably an electrical or timming belt problem. Could it be that my V6 Camry engine, supposedly one of the best engine on the market today, is dying? I took good care of this engine. I changed the timming belt twice (last time at 120,000 miles (currently 175,000miles). The oil was changed regularly, even more often than needed many times.
    (on average every 4000 miles).

What should I do next. I haven't taken it to a dealer yet. Perhaps this is the most logical thing to do. But how do I find out what to do while avoiding having to pay too much only to find out that my car will soon be a junker.

Please tell me it isn't so.

Thank you for all of your responses sincerely,

Joseph
    now in San Diego :)
  • Options
    for my above problem,

Could it be a dirty fuel injection system??
  • Options
    alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    When was the last time the spark plug wires were changed?
  • Options
    Joseph:

I own a 2002 4cyl. Camry with 28,000 miles.

At first, I thought I had a fuel injection problem (I noticed a ticking in the engine and it was idling rough at stops). At one point they mentioned something about the sparkplugs too.

However (after 3 weeks in the dealership shop), it turns out that a cylindar wall was scorned. Toyota had to replace the engine. Luckily, it was still covered under the warranty. They said it would have cost me $12,000 (not $1,200) for all the work they did.

Honestly, Toyota is not all it is cracked up to be. My Camry has a ton of annoying rattles, pulls to the left, wind noise, and the engine had to be replaced. The are unable to fix the rattles, so far. If you want "Toyota Quality", buy a Lexus (Volvo, Benz and Cadillac are also excellent options).

As a side note: I have not had a single problem with my 1997 6cyl. Grand Am SE.

Sorry to hear about your problem.

camryman5
    (Illinois)
  • Options
    rutger3rutger3 Member Posts: 361
    Have a 99 LE,4cyl with 152,000 miles,orig owner. Just started hearing a clicking noise from engine when accelerating. Took to my local Toyota dealer who has a good rep. They looked at it for about 2 hours (no charge) and although they heard the sound were unable to locate it. Said it wasnt a valve, then tried a couple more things including some type of spray but still no luck. Conclusion: probably lower half of engine and potentially major problem, would take many hours of labor to locate, may have to remove engine or most of it at high cost,said something could break at anytime now. Any ideas on what this could be. Yeah I know this is probably a sign that I need a new car, but still would like to know what it is. Not worth it spending over $1000 just to locate the problem. On the other hand, if it is something minor just making a noise then maybe I will drive it longer.
  • Options
    If I were you, I would contact Toyota USA office to raise a stink. Sounds like you have a class 1A lemon on your hand.

Our 2002 LE V6, built in KY, runs like a clock and has absolutely no rattles. Toyota does make a great product. It's just that some out of the thousands of cars manufactured are lemons.
  • Options
    just found out that my son bottomed the car out a couple weeks ago which is around the time the noise started. not sure if it loosened something in the lower part of the engine, or perhaps something else altogether. would be nice to know if it is a minor or major issue.
  • Options
    scoti1scoti1 Member Posts: 676
    Unfortunately, the engines are still sludging, just haven't read about it a lot on Edmunds. It is the 1997 - 2002 models covered under the sludge policy, but I have read reports of a couple 2003's recently. Can't recall which Toyota model, tho, as this covers the Camry, Avalon, Solara, Sienna, Highlander, Celica and the Lexus RX300/ES300
  • Options
    mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Still say show me REAL proof that they are sluding. Every engine sludges if it doesn't get regular oil changes. Back to the topic, The in-law's 97 Camry was perfect at 110,000 miles, 5,000 or 3 month oil changes, no measurable consumption. New 04 Camry: perfect, no problems.
  • Options
    Our 2002 LE V6, asembled in KY, has not experienced a sludge problem. We do have the oil changed every 3,000 to 3,500 miles or three months.

I have always maintained this schedule and have never experienced a sludge problem. We have kept some of our cars for eight to ten years.
  • Options
    tyresmokertyresmoker Member Posts: 266
    I have seen your posts before touting that '97 Grand Am....Didn't you also say you bought that Camry used?
    Prehaps it has nothing to do with the quality of the car, but the quality of the person you bought it from.
    Not that they are perfect, but did you pull a carfax before you bought it? Sounds like you might have picked a winner there..
    Be glad Toyota felt for ya and picked up the new motor.
  • Options
    Yes, I bought both cars used. Both with 20,000 miles and one year old.

The Carfax report was fine. I assume both cars were rental cars. Regarding the Camry engine, I tend to believe that mine must have been abused. I've read about some car rental companies that never change the oil in their automobiles.

Toyota did indeed pick up the tab...kudos to Toyota!
  • Options
    camryman and junbug and everyone,

Thanks for your diagnos. Quick question, so the engine is mis-firing. What if I drive it anyway.
    Is it a safety hazard? Is there a risk of fire.

I'm thinkin about just driving this baby till she croaks. :)

Thanks for the response,

Joseph
    in San Diego.

PS. How's the BMW 330 reliability? :)
  • Options
    themoon77themoon77 Member Posts: 102
    I just found this info the other day. Please, all of you with the 97 and up cars with sludging problems, check out this link.

http://www.yotarepair.com/breakingnews.html

Steve
  • Options
    themoon77, that is an interesting site. Just wanted to point out that if you follow the link to the "Sludge Zone" that the model years covered under the Toyota sludge program have not been updated. Toyota actually extended the policy to cover the V-6 engine in some of the 2002 models. The 4-cylinder was supposedly "fixed" after 2001 so the 2002 4-cyl is not included.
  • Options
    airman72airman72 Member Posts: 19
    One big black box behind the battery looks like the only one that can house it, but the box is screwed down and connected to a hose. Can anyone confirm if this is the one, and how to open it? Thanks.
  • Options
    actually I'm going to attempt to open it tomorrow, it is that black box behind battery, I bought an aftermarket filter we'll see what happens
  • Options
    jdeibjdeib Member Posts: 70
    I just replaced mine for the second time on my 2002 Camry. It is the rectangular box behind the battery. What you need to do the job is a 10 MM socket wrench. Preferably a longer one in that the the two bolts that hold down the top of the box are set down a bit far. Anyway, remove those two bolts and carefully pry up on the top of the box. You can work out the top from the two slots that hold it down on the left side. However you do not need to remove the hose above it to change the filter.

While you are at it, change the cabin air filter. It gets filthy after 15,000 miles. There is a great illustrated instruction in the owners manual.

Good luck.
  • Options
    I tried to do it myself with the 10mm wrench but couldn't get to the second screw, there is almost no space back there. I went to a gas station and a mechanic installed it for me in a couple of minutes

PS. Also changed the cabin air filter couple of days ago, it's real easy and at 11,500 miles it was already pretty dirty
  • Options
    jehovajehova Member Posts: 1
    I have a 4-CYL 2004 XLE. When in stop and go traffic, the car shifts hard, and also seems to stutter when going from first to second gear. Anyone have the same issue?? I take it to the shop as soon as i can find the time, which is not making me happy, since I have always had good luck with Toyota.
  • Options
    longformlongform Member Posts: 1
    I have a '99 Camry that is getting only 22 mpg. When I bought it from a private owner a year ago, it had only 27056 miles on it and looked it. I drove it regularly in both local and highway conditions so now I have 39,056 on it. I would get 26 to about 28 mpg with it about 4 months ago and once, on an all day jaunt, I got 45 mpg. I check the tire pressure regularly (35 psi up from 30 that the owners manual recommend). The car runs very quietly, accelerates on demand shifting smoothly. I had it into the dealer who did a 10,000 mile check, but could find no reason for the low mpg. I did have the 30,000 done when I bought the car. The tires are rated fair by the dealer, but I can not see the top of Abe Lincoln's head when checking the tread depth with a penny. Any suggestions as to what to look for?
  • Options
    sgzsgz Member Posts: 2
    My 1999 Camry blew a rod and destroyed the engine. It has 97,000 miles on it. We bought it new and have maintained it very carefully. It's been to the dealership for every possible maintenance visit. In fact, it had a scheduled maintenance two weeks before the engine blew. The service manager has offered to reduce the $4500 repair bill to $3000 which he says is generous, considering that the car is out of warranty. I am not impressed. We bought a Camry because of its supposed solid construction and reliability. Is it unreasonable to assume that it would last for more than 100,000 miles?

I am considering options including checking with the dealer's sales department to see what kind of a deal we could make on a new car. However, I'm really not sure I want another Toyota. The failure was catastophic - during a merge onto the interstate with a semi coming up behind me. I'd appreciate any advice including whether I'm being unreasonable to assume that the engine should not have failed so spectacularly in a car of this age and mileage.
  • Options
    rogmanrogman Member Posts: 24
    I have 2004 Camry LE. I am also experiencing the stuttering from 1st to 2nd gear. It only happens once in awhile. Seems to shift O.K. Had it back to dealer twice. They seem to be making an effort to solve the problem but can not get it to fail at dealership. They changed the tranny fluid, but the problem is still there. It seems trans related, but maybe it's something else. Dealer wants me to drive car with technician. Please keep posting. I will repost if I find out the problem.
  • Options
    sqz: I too have a 99 LE 4 cyl with 152k on it, just found out that the clicking noise in engine is probably a bad rod . You should certainly get more than 97k on your camry. I would make waves with the dealer and Toyota USA. This is the reason people buy Toyotas for their reliability, heck you can get 100-125k or more on American cars now if you keep them up well. My problem is with that many miles,not worth repairing, may try to trade it in. Good luck. btw, does anyone know of anything that would quiet the clicking down?
  • Options
    sgzsgz Member Posts: 2
    Just be careful. There was no indication that anything was wrong with my car. No idiot light, no clicking noise, just a big ka-blam.

I do plan to write an indignant letter to Toyota and the dealer, and possibly check into the Hyundai with its 100K powertrain warranty.
  • Options
    s15as15a Member Posts: 14
    I've had this problem for at least 1 year on my 2001 Camry with 30K miles on it. I'm getting literally tired & sick of it. My 1990 Camry with 130K miles does NOT have this problem. It smells fine, even though its over 10 years older.

In the 2001 camry, the smell goes away, once I let the air run for a while(without recirculating it).

anyone recommend a solution? Is a "moldy evaporator"? My neighbor has 2 camrys both with over 45K miles on them(2001 and 2002) and he says he does not have this problem. So what gives here?

I'm "sick" of this new camry, almost thinking of selling it. Should not this be covered under the warranty? Please help.

thanks.
  • Options
    hank2hank2 Member Posts: 76
    In Rattles,
    333 of 384 canoe2 and andrelaplume by amphipri0n
    Feb 19, 2004.... Posted the following:

andrelaplume: you can download http://www.tt-cc.com/ratko/TSB.zip open it up and the noise issues all start with the letters "nv"

-Hank2
  • Options
    Well maintained Toyota engines are definitely supposed to last longer than that. Is it possible that your engine blew as a result of engine sludge damage? If you can, you may want to have it checked by an independent mechanic. Your Camry is covered for 8 years with no mileage limit under a policy issued by Toyota for sludge related problems.
  • Options
    andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    Yes I got them earlier this year from the friendly poster. I think they need about 100 more TSBs to clear up all the '02 rattles!
  • Options
    azguyazguy Member Posts: 23
    When I start the 2004 Camry LE Special Ed., and shift from P to R, I hear a metallic sound. The dealer says it's "normal" and it's the "ABS attenuator ".. Having a talk w/ the Toyota Regional Rep next month re this. Any ideas? Thanks..
    zguy in AZ
  • Options
    Is there a TSB for a stereo rattle in the '02 4cyl LE? There are so many rattles in my car!!!
  • Options
    qibbleqibble Member Posts: 26
    Hello,

I'm getting really poor gas mileage. With gas prices so high and my problem, I dropped 90 bucks on gas last week. That's really hard on the pocket especially when you don't do much driving. So I just did the throttle body cleaning because I had a lot of carbon build up. I hope that helps. But while I was getting that service done, I was told that my air/fuel sensor was going bad ($600 plus to fix... ouch). Could that be the problem? I'm doing a major tune up this weekend(changing wires, plugs, etc.) Is there anything in particular that I should be checking while doing the tune up. Thanks.

BTW, my car is a 99 with 79,000 miles
  • Options
    paul29paul29 Member Posts: 178
    If it is the a/f sensor before the catalyst , the part cost is about $170.00 . Many places carry them on the internet . It might take 20 mins to install .
  • Options
    anselmo1anselmo1 Member Posts: 163
    I change the oil every 3K miles or 3 months, whatever comes first. Oil changes are done at the dealership using 5W30 and OEM Toyota oil filters. No sludge problem at all!
  • Options
    farpayamfarpayam Member Posts: 1
    I have bought a new 2004 Camry LE 4 cylinder two months ago, and I'm facing an annoying problem that engine break kicks in and engine RPM goes up when I hit on break in relative steep downhill with overdrive (OD) off. I took it to dealership for test drive, the service foreman said that downshifting at downhill when break depressed is normal and this is the way these new cars are programmed. Since this issue has concerned me I wonder if any member has faced the same problem, and if yes, have they been able to fix the problem or this annoying issue is normal. Please keep me posted if you aware of this issue.

Thanks Members
  • Options
    samirsamir Member Posts: 5
    Hello rogman

I have an 03 SE V6 and had the same problem with my transmition. Took it to two dealers, they couldn't fix it. Took the car to Toyota of Glendale in Los Angeles county and they fix it by re setting the software and now it is it shifts very smoothly. Hope this helps & good luck.
  • Options
    lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    rogman & samir - Can you guys tell under what road and driving condition are when you experience the sudden shifting? My friend's '02 Camry LE V6 (less than 20K miles) has the silimar problem when only going uphill. Any TSB on this?
  • Options
    jonintheoaksjonintheoaks Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Camry LE 4 cylinder with the same annoying problem with the transmission downshifting when I apply the brakes. The dealer said it was "normal". Also, once the engine downshifts, and I apply gas, the engine revs for about three to four seconds and then the transmission upshifts. I found that by manually downshifting turning off the overdrive and then hitting the button again to turn on the overdrive, the transmission upshifts immediately with no hesitation. I am thinking I will ask the dealer if the transmission downshift can somehow be removed from the programming...
  • Options
    samirsamir Member Posts: 5
    To lok888

I had the tranny problem since week one after the purchase and it was during low speed or during freeway bumper to bumper traffic. I also found Toyota dealerships to be ignorant or lazy about taking care or their customers. This past week I bought my daughter a new Hyundai cause I was turned off by Toyota's response to our few problems.

Good luck
  • Options
    mca2mca2 Member Posts: 20
    I have the 2002 SE with 66K miles and I have had 3 alignments in the past 1 1/2 years (2 from Toyota dealers and 1 from Pep boys). I just had one done and the freaking car still pulls to the left. I also seem to have a transmission shudder in the morning until the car warms up (about 3-4 miles of driving). I also cannot seem to cure an out of balance rim. I have had the tires rotated and balanced about 6 times this past year. I feel a vibration around 60-75 MPH. Could this be a bent rim? Anyone else having these problems with there 2002 SE V6?
This discussion has been closed.