Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Camry: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Options
    ian721ian721 Member Posts: 93
    Any shifting from 1st to 2nd gear shouldn't be affected by Overdrive, which is simply the top gear (4th or 5th in your Solara). Are you saying that it shifts differently from 1st to 2nd based on whether the "O/D" light is on or off?
  • Options
    rmlrml Member Posts: 3
    It is when the trans shifts from 2nd to 1st gear in overdrive I feel it drop in hard like a thump.
  • Options
    bogeymanbogeyman Member Posts: 1
    I am considering a 2005 Solara. I wonder if the window design will cause problems down the road. They are not framed in metal at the top, and I think this could cause road noise or worse, water leaks. Has anyone had these problems?
  • Options
    What I'm saying is that Overdrive should have nothing to do with it. Overdrive is simply your highest gear...shifting from 2nd to 1st shouldn't be affected by whether overdrive is on or off.

Unless you're saying that it behaves differently going from 2nd to 1st based on whether the "O/D OFF" light is on or off? Now that would be something new...
  • Options
    anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    My older Integras had no frame around the top and they were fine. Even BMW uses a framless window I believe.
  • Options
    heyman1heyman1 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2001 Toyota Camry LE with the Factory Installed JBL audio system. I am having a problem playing CD-R's I have burnt with my computer. Documentation on the stereo states that the factory stereo will not play burnt CD-Rs. I would like to replace the stereo with an aftermarket CD/MP3 player. I am asking for any imput on how to wire the stereo in. I have done over a dozen stereo installs so I am familiar with the basics. I am told there is a JBL amplifier I may have to wire around. This is where my question lies. What do I need to do to wire around the JBL amp? Any help is greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    ballardballard Member Posts: 1
    I noticed a paint chip on the left front fender of my 2004 Camry shortly after I took delivery. I thought it was odd because it was all the way down to the primer and perfectly round...almost like a blister had popped. I discovered a new spot today in a protected area just in front of my wipers. Penny sized where it appears the paint is just crumbling. Obviously not a nick of any kind. Anybody else seen something like this?
  • Options
    themoon77themoon77 Member Posts: 102
    Hi folks;

In my quest to correct a racing idle at cold engine temperatures, I have found info that points to the possibility of a bad intake manifold gasket(s). My question for everyone is, especially the mechanics out there, how big a job is this and how many hundreds can I expect to pay? I have Haynes/Chiltons manuals--should I even try to do this myself being good at oil changes/spark plugs etc. And the big question is, could there be any other causes of this racing idle problem? The car is an 89 Camry V6 2.5 liter. Thanks!!
  • Options
    themoon77themoon77 Member Posts: 102
    Do you live near a reputable body/paint shop? I would drop by just to see what they think--they should give you an unbiased opinion.
  • Options
    motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    The CD player in my 99 Corolla plays burnt CDs as does the JBL player in my 2003 Camry. I have a 14 year old Sony CD player for my home that also plays burnt CDs. It is very hard to believe that your 2001 Camry's JBL player doesn't play burned CDs. Did you burn your CD in MP3 format? If so, then you need a CD player that can play MP3 CDs. By now quite a few can. wISH I could help you with self installtion. Good luck.
  • Options
    typesixtypesix Member Posts: 321
    Have you checked vacuum hoses for cracks, leaks or whether they still fit on tight?
  • Options
    rmlrml Member Posts: 3
    Well, for your infomation I do not have the hard drop in from 2nd to 1st when overdrive is off than when O/D is on.
  • Options
    winklebullwinklebull Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Camry SE that produces a clicking noise in the drive side dash/firewall. The clicking only starts happening after the car is going down the highway at normal speed. Clicking is worse as you go faster at that point. Sounds like it is something electrical, but can not locate. Have had it into a dealer and another mechanic and they can't get it to happen, however, they did not drive it out of town on the highway. Clicking is not dependent on whether the road is straight or has curves. Also, this noise does not happen in town. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    toyoman1toyoman1 Member Posts: 52
    Today while doing a brake job on my car I noticed that on the drivers side there was one of the prongs that the lugnuts screw into broken off and it and the lug was gone. Is this gonna be an expensive repair and can someone tell me what is a reasonable price to pay thanks!

Frustrated in Georgia
  • Options
    josmasonjosmason Member Posts: 1
    We have a Camry 2-door LE V6 1994 and we are looking for an ECM for the Transmission #89661-06180 or #89661-33400. We are told that this part is discontinued and are looking for this part or alternative ways to get our sweetie pie going. Can you help?
  • Options
    pattynrobhpattynrobh Member Posts: 2
    I was wondering what could be the cause of a clicking noise we hear when we turn our wheel. The car has 27,708 miles. Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Thanks
  • Options
    joescarjoescar Member Posts: 30
    I have the same problem with my 2004. Review my posts (JOESCAR). Tomorrow it's going back to the dealer for the 6th time for the same problem. The rack has been replaced and now they say they'll replace the "intermediate shaft". Watch this forum for updates.
  • Options
    toyoman1toyoman1 Member Posts: 52
    Today while doing a brake job on my car I noticed that on the drivers side there was one of the prongs that the lugnuts screw into broken off and it and the lug was gone. Is this gonna be an expensive repair and can someone tell me what is a reasonable price to pay thanks!

Frustrated in Georgia
  • Options
    pattynrobhpattynrobh Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for replying so quick. I saw your other posts and was hoping some new news was known. I am taking my camry to the dealer tonight. I will post what they tell me.
  • Options
    My dealer has just informed me that Toyota has acknowledged a problem with the steering column (intermediate shaft). They instructed him to replace the assembly and 'guarantee' the problem will be solved. I await delivery of the part and subsequent replacement. I have been to the dealership 6 times attempting to resolve the problem and it appears they have FINALLY determined the cause. I'll post the results ASAP.(2004 Camry 20,000 miles)
  • Options
    dekesterdekester Member Posts: 322
    Uh, oh..... Had the same problem in my 98 Olds Intrigue and it seems like almost the entire run of Intrigues and other GM "W" body cars.

I had the ISS replaced once under warranty, but the problem recurs, so a periodic lubrication of the ISS is in order, NOT covered by GM.

The symptoms were a "loose" feeling while turning, along with various clunking and popping noises.

Sure hope Toyota keeps after this and offers lifetime ISS lubes (if deemed necessary).

Deke
  • Options
    csaxoncsaxon Member Posts: 8
  • Options
    net1net1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 XLE V6. My problem is that when I accelerate, I get a rough feeling from the transmission, as if it is going over a rough patch. The tranny is not 'silky smooth' as advertised and what I found in other same model cars I tested. The problem is more apparent once the engine is warm, and speeds 0 to 40 mph and when going uphill. Have been to the dealer twice, once after 80 miles and then 1600 miles, the patent reply is 'the problem cannot be duplicated' . Would appreciate any help.
  • Options
    morinkumorinku Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

I was so disappointed with the shifting quality of the 02 Camry V6 that I owned I traded it in for an 04 Camry V6. I started experiencing hesitation and what feels like sliding into gear (1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd). It usually gets worse after I get off the highway and into stop and go traffic. I had the car into the dealership about a month ago and they reset the computer. It seemed better for about a week and now it's starting to happen again. These problems are intermittent but seem worse in stop and go (city) driving.

The shifting quality (both Camrys) is terrible. I can almost relate the way the transmission shifts to the old Chevys that had the PowerSlide (OOPPSS, I mean PowerGlide) transmission (shame on you Toyota).

Is anyone else experiencing these sloppy shifting (sliding into gear) issues? I am sure this is all due to the new electronic shifting (fly by wire) system which Toyota has not perfected yet.

What is going to happen to us down the road as our warranties expire and real transmission problems start cropping up because of what's happening now.
  • Options
    mcgirl0730mcgirl0730 Member Posts: 78
    I drive an 04 Camry V6 LE and it shifts smoothly. Sometimes, however, it hesitates when I step on the gas from a complete stop.
  • Options
    cafastlanecafastlane Member Posts: 11
    Hi!
    I bought my 04 V6 Solara at the end of March and have faced some problems.

First: the acceleration is "harder" than before. I feel like I have to really press on the pedal for it to speed up. It used to be much easier and SMOOTHER. This problem occurred before but it stopped after I stopped switching back and forth from automatic to stick. This problem occurred again after the dealership tighten my gas cap.

Second: For the past week and a half, my car has been releasing this nasty odor that I can smell inside and outside my car. It's like something is burning. I'm not sure how else to describe it. As the days passed, the smell is less and less but it's still there.

Please help me if you can. Thanks!
  • Options
    alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    For the smell, are you sure you haven't collected a plastic bag on the exhaust pipe?
  • Options
    cp2333cp2333 Member Posts: 1
    My 04 Camry V6 LE is the same, generally smooth shifting but hesitation from a complete stop. I took mine in to Toyota dealer and was told that the hesitation was due to the electronic accelerator which replaced a direct accelerator cable. This sounds plausible, unfortunately, I don't know have enough auto knowledge to know whether it's really true.
  • Options
    camrysev6ownercamrysev6owner Member Posts: 66
    Sorry to hear about your problems with the Solara. As far as the stiff accelerator goes, I don't think you need to worry so much about it. It's probably just an attempt by Toyota to make the car feel sportier, or more European. My 97 Camry LE used to have an accelerator that had a nimble feel but my Camry SE, I believe, feels the same as your Solara in terms of the accelerator.

I actually find that the stiff accelerator is better than the loose feeling I got from the 97. It is by no means a sports sedan, but it does add a little spice to driving. The same thing goes for the steering feel. It takes more effort to steer, imitating that of European cars (although I find it is still very light).

I believe, though not sure, that this generation's Camry LE's accelerator still has that lighter feel to it. Correct me if I'm wrong, LE owners! I also found that the door hinges on the LE are looser than those in my SE, that's for sure. It takes a bit more effort to open the doors now, but then it doesn't bounce back like the doors on the 97 LE I used to own.

Maybe I just like things a little tighter. To me, it feels more rigid.

Hope the odour goes away soon!
  • Options
    rogmanrogman Member Posts: 24
    A few of us had the same problem with the 2004 LE 4 cylinder Camrys. See post 2613. I finally got it fixed after 8 trips back to dealership. Sounds like the problem also exits with the 6 cylinders. I filed complaint with Toyato 2 times. Keep after them...it will be fixed eventually.
  • Options
    hatestoyotahatestoyota Member Posts: 3
    I have tried for a year now to get Toyota to fix my transmission with no luck. My last attempt was today, so this week I will trade the car for whatever. The Camry with a sticker price of 29,000 has been nothing but trouble from day one. The car has no idea when to shift. Sometimes it will go and sometimes it will not. I will not risk my life by having a car that will sometimes go when I pull out and sometimes leave me sitting in the middle of road waiting to change gears. I have dealt with some of the most unprofessional people at Toyota. The car has been reported to the NHTSA but nothing has been done. This is my last Toyota. It is a shame there is no protection for consumers. Good luck with yours!!
  • Options
    dekesterdekester Member Posts: 322
    Sure, you have protection! Ever hear of the Lemon Law? If there were more then three attempts to fix the same problem, Toyota would have to buy the car back and/or replace it.

Did you try that route? Filing a complaint with NHTSA does not force auto manufacturers to recall the cars or make good on yours; you merely lodge a complaint which others can see and file their own complaints. Enough similar problems, then the NHTSA looks into it, Toyota maybe sends out a TSB for repairs. Further problems forces a recall.....

I hate to hear someone rant and rave against a complete company when there was a problem with one product. If you did nothing further than yell and scream at a service advisor at the dealership, you did nothing to help your cause. If you followed up with Toyota directly, you were heading in the right direction, but a visit with a Lemon Law attorney should have been your next move.

Hope whatever car you get will be more trouble-free than your Camry. Just stay away from GM products....and some Fords.....and...
  • Options
    cafastlanecafastlane Member Posts: 11
    Thank you for your replies. I thought the acceleration problem was odd because it wasn't like that when I first bought the car. I'm glad it isn't a major issue I have to deal with.

oh.. and I'm not sure whether there was a plastic bad in my exhaust pipe but I will check that out. Thanks again!
  • Options
    califgigicalifgigi Member Posts: 2
    Did you ever find a solution to your problem?
  • Options
    Not sure if you'd all agree with me, but I find the front passenger's toe room in the current Camry a bit tight. I'm 6'2" and I fit comfortably in the driver's seat. However, whenever I sit in the passenger's seat, I find that there's not enough toe room particularly to the left and right of the feet. I usually slide my feet in the middle where there's a little more toe room, but after awhile I get tired of sitting with my legs together.

If I were to sit with legs together the entire trip, I would have to move the seat back so that my legs are almost straight. That way my legs would be resting flat on the seat. But then I would find that my feet would be placed at an awkward angle and eventually causes stress on the ankles. However, I'm usually the driver so maybe I'm just too accustomed to the seat there.

Does anyone else find that they have the same problem in their Camrys? My old 97 Camry's passenger toe room was better, but still not the best. Wonder what the Accords and Altimas toe rooms are like.
  • Options
    My dealer has informed me that intermediate steering shafts are on back order for my 2004 Camry LE. The problem is a "clicking" when the wheel is turned. Others may have the same problem. Check with your dealers before the problem gets worse!
  • Options
    buffalonickelbuffalonickel Member Posts: 113
    I had a '94 Toyota Hilux that had 3 lugs broken off. The metal in the lugs failed. I would recommend that while you have that single lug repaired, you consider having all of them replaced as long as they tear it down. I fixed mine myself and it wasn't an "easy" dig.

B
  • Options
    buffalonickelbuffalonickel Member Posts: 113
    Tell the bumpkins that you are going to leave the car overnight and you want them to "duplicate" the event the next day. In fact, if you can, go up there and get in while he starts it up.

B
  • Options
    rayhrayh Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

I intend to purchase a new car for the next 2 weeks. Currently, I have 3 cars in my mind. They are 05 Toyota Camry XLE V6, 05 Honda Accord EX V6 or 05 Lexus ES 330. I have done my research for all those vehicles. But, I still could not decide. Here are the problems.

1. Both Camry and ES 330 have the transmission problems (based on the owners' testimonies at Edmunds' board). The word 'hesitation' accelaration scares hell of me. I don't want another Dejavu!!!

2. Honda Accord adopted DOHC technology for its inline 4, but SOHC for its V6. I always think that DOHC is better. Am I right about this?

Currently, I own 2002 Honda Civic EX. My complains for it are underpowered engine, hesitation accelaration, bumpy suspension, and loud road noises. I plan to trade my Civic in. Good idea? Any advise.
  • Options
    motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    Have you test driven any of these cars? If not the best advice I can give you is to take each one for a long test drive, preferably for at least an hour. During your test drive check if you can duplicate the transmission problems on the Toyota and Lexus that some people are complaing about. I haven't heard any tranny problem for the 05 ES330; most of the problems seems to be for the 02 through 04 models.
  • Options
    rayhrayh Member Posts: 2
    Regretfully, I haven't test driven any of them yet. But, I'll do so next week.

I just assume that 05 models will still inherit the tranny problems, just because there are no news or press release that Toyota (and Lexus) improve their mechanical spec. I might be wrong though.

Thanks for the info, Motownusa.

Ray
  • Options
    nikki1nikki1 Member Posts: 10
    Hi the Lemon Law is BS.. The car has to be in the shop more then 30 days. The think that sucks, is that the dealer may not want to confirm the same problem or they say can't duplciate the problem. I have extended warranty purchased on my Accord 2003 EX. Bought the car on Sat, no milage. The next day less then 100 miles, the transmission leaks from one of the joint. At 12k miles, replaced, transmission. Now at 35k same issue with tranmission shifting, Dealer say no problem can't fix the car. So bottom line, all the deales are INDEPENDENT not Honda.. It seem like they see you have extended warranty and they don't seem to fix the problem.
      Bottom line stay away from Honda. My friend is a mechanic, he said "Honda tramssion, do have issues when the car ages".
      I drive the car really hard, changed the oil very 3k. Still very disappointed. I think the bottom like better off with a stick shift. I never had problem with my Acura Integra GSR '97.
  • Options
    As much as I love my car, something very weird happened to the door of my 03 Camry tonight.

It was a cold night, -3 degrees, and I got into my car as usual. I closed the door firmly so that the dome light and the "door ajar" light turned off, indicating that the door had been fully shut.

However, when I was about to come to a stop at a traffic light few blocks down the street, I heard a "pop" and the dome light came on! Then I heard all these road noises and I looked at the dashboard and found that the "door ajar" light came on! The door popped open by itself!

I came to a complete stop at the traffic light, wondering what might have caused the door to open but couldn't come to any conclusions. I pulled the latch to open (Although the door wasn't fully shut, the door couldn't be opened without pulling the latch. Just like when we all sometimes forget to use more force to close the door) then close the door firmly again. It was fine for the rest of the way home.

I was definitely SURE that the door was shut firmly, or else the dome light and "door ajar" light would be lit. Also, the automatic lock probably wouldn't have been able to lock the doors when I shifted into reverse if the door was still open (not sure about this though). It shouldn't have been the cold weather either because the car had been through two harsh Canadian winters with temperatures well below tonight's, yet the door was fine.

I am going to bring this issue to the dealer's attention next time I go for maintenance. But I am pretty sure there should be nothing wrong with the lock. Or am I really that unlucky to own a Camry with a defective lock? Nah, afterall, it's a Toyota. It was assembled in Japan too. There might be some rattling here and there, and a little clicking in the steering wheel, but I am sure that they won't build a car with such a major defect.

Will post the results after going to the dealer.
  • Options
    ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ...would obviate much of the apparent ineptitude that we are noting within these threads........

Again, the dollar speaks: folks don't want the extra effort of a real clutch, shifting forks (or cables) coordinating the synchros and CONTROLING gear changes...

..just listen to my high school buds come up with why they drive an auto. "Well, I hurt my left foot in an industrial accident"; "I'm tired of shifting: I can afford it, why not?"

You made you bed; now sleep in it (as my Dad was fond of saying)
  • Options
    When you drive a stick for 20 years all automatics feel like they have some kind of hesitation. My 2004 Camry I4 4-speed takes around 1/3 second to respond from standing still, maybe 1/2 second to downshift when accelerating suddenly on the highway (haven't felt the need to use the "O/D Off" button yet). But overall it feels very smooth.

There are a lot of improvements in the 2005 model that I'd like to have, but the 5-speed AT isn't really one of them. Just more opportunities for problems. And who wants to be the guinea pig for a new tranny? (not that the 4-speed is so great, but new models can be iffy).
  • Options
    msabatini2001msabatini2001 Member Posts: 4
    I have 2 problems
    1. Wipers: The wipers suddenly only work on fast (i.e. intermittent settings don't work). So I only have fast, fast and super fast. Is this a problem with the wiper switch or motor?

2. Starting problems on a cold engine: When started, I take my foot off the gas, the engine dies. This can happen 2-3 times. But if I keep my foot on the gas (at high rpm) for about 30 secs, the slowly remove foot, the engine keeps running. Is this a problem with air intake, manifold, ..?
    Thanks.
  • Options
    peterpanpeterpan Member Posts: 120
    You did not state whether your car has a I4 or V6 engine.

It appears your cold start mechanism inside the fuel injector unit is sticking. Fill the tank with premium gas and add a bottle of injector cleaner. That solved the problem for my Camry I4.

If that doesn't solve it, remove the air inlet rubber hose from the fuel injector. Spray in 2 bottles of injector cleaner while revving the engine at various RPM.

If that still doesn't work consult a few reliable and competent dealers and shops before making the next move.
  • Options
    tjepptjepp Member Posts: 7
    I have a 00 Solara SE 4cyl. with 82,000. I seem to have a problem with white smoke coming from my exhaust at start up. It's a light to medium flow right after startup for about 10 to 20 seconds and then its gone. If you rev the engine after the initial occurance you don't get anymore smoke either. It doesn't happen when my car is started at home, but rather at work, everyday just like clockwork. At home my car is garaged and at work it sits out in the sun from the time it comes up until the time I leave between 2 and 3 in the afternoon. This is the only variable that I can think of. I have tried starting it at various times at home in my garage and I never see any smoke. If I'm out at a store or something at any time of the day or night and return to start the car it starts without the smoking. I'm really at a loss on this one. I don't want to take it into the shop just to have someone nail me for an expensive "repair" when it could be something simple. Has anyone read a post about this anywhere or had any experience with this? Any help from anyone here would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    philjsphiljs Member Posts: 2
    2000 thru 2004 camry have very low brake pedal with little reserve. owners manual calls for pedal height to be 2 1/2 inches when pressed with pressure of 110 LB/ FT

NY state inspection calls for depressed pedal at

1/3 of pedal height..Pedal should not fade or sink for one minute ..did car meet these specs
  • Options
    morphius909morphius909 Member Posts: 67
    We just brought home the Camry from an Autobody repair shop* Hail damage in excess of $5,000 needed to be repaired*. It was approximately -10 degrees celsius the day we picked it up, but it had sat outside in temperature of excess of minus 20 degrees. I drove the vehicle home, but noticed that the climate control/heater fan was slowing down and speeding up. My first suspect was the Battery/Alternator. No Battery light ever came on inside the car. I made it home. Parked the Car and turned it off. Approximately 10 minutes, when I went to move the car, there was absolutely no power. No lights, nothing. I couldn't even move the Shifter into Neutral to push it. We boosted the car, it boosted fine. I noticed on the Toyota/Panasonic Brand battery that the Indicator Eye indicated a "needs charging" condition. I didn't know if it's the battery unable to hold a charge now or if the alternator is pooched. When I went to turn the heater fan on, the car suddenly died again. No power, not even the interior lights. It was as though the connection was severed. I boosted again, let is sit for appro 10 minutes idling and then move it into the garage, When I moved it into Park and then went to turn off any heater fan controls, the car died again.

Any Ideas?

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.