Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Cougar Support Group - A New Start

Comments

• Options
    jayhawk5jayhawk5 Member Posts: 70
    nice website! Much more exciting than the Mercury website.
  • Options
    coolchickcoolchick Member Posts: 174
    mws --

Cool web site. Much better than what I've previously from LM for the Cougar.
  • Options
    stageleftstageleft Member Posts: 391
    Thanks for all your kind words regarding the Cougar head emblems in the door panels. They came out for the second shipment, I guess. :^)
  • Options
    badulahbadulah Member Posts: 961
    MWS0520:
    I like the current factory sunroof, but I would like to see it open a little more in the future. I find the seats to be comfortable, but I would like to see more bolstering on the sides. This would help to keep the driver in place while in tight turns. I don't have the side moldings, but raising them would only change the look of the car. I recommend that they NOT be moved.

Coolchick & Dasaint1:
    An after-market CD changer can be added to the stock stereo. You are going to have to ad an RF model. This type of changer is installed in to the trunk (or where ever you prefer) and actually ties in to the antenna cable. When you want to listen to the changer you tune in a preselected radio channel and your CD changer will broadcast through that channel. When the RF changer came out it was not a big success, but recent models have really improved. My X-Girlfriend had a Pioneer model in her car and it worked GREAT! It never skipped and the sound quality was excellent (to bad she listened to crapola with it). I don't happen to have specific model numbers right now, but I will get back to you with them later on today.

Ferrywhistle:
    Congrats on getting your Cat! I hope it serves you well. Keeping a Black Cat clean is a bit of a chore. I recommend lots of wax, and quick detailer. Pollin will always be a problem, but it is easy to wipe off.
  • Options
    CoolChick & Dasaint1:
    Here are two model numbers for FM RF CD changers:
    - Pioneer CDX-FM653 (6 changer)
    - Pioneer CDX-P1250 (12 changer)

The 653 should sell for about $270, and the 1250 should sell for about $320 (without installation). Both will work with your stock unit and should provide good performance and good listening quality.
  • Options
    krnchkrnch Member Posts: 127
    Molding:
    I have the bodyside molding and, in the past, have agreed with people in this group that they are too low to provide much protection. However, last Friday, while conducting my daily inspection, I discovered a black paint or rubber smudge on the passenger side molding. There was absolutely no dammage to the door itself. I was able to buff it off the molding. In this one incident, the moldings just paid for themself.

Cougar Emblem:
    Has anyone removed the Cougar emblem from the centre of the steering wheel? I'm wondering if it just clips in, or if it is adhesive. I would like to take mine out to remove the dent in it. I guess I hit the horn a little too hard. Oops. :)

MWS:
    I have read different articles which suggest that auto mag reviews are highly influenced by advertising endorsements from car companies. What's your take on this (if you're at liberty to say)?

A.
  • Options
    juanbjuanb Member Posts: 6
    I think the seats are quite comfortable. The cougar has been the fist car I've driven for more than 4 hours without getting even slightly tired.
    For what I've read in this forum, this disagreement about the comfort of the seats has its origins in the sport/regular seats option.
    Just a guess.
  • Options
    fredlyfredly Member Posts: 201
    I drove from Florida to Pennsylvania Straight through, I think about 16-17 hours
    regardless, the Sport Seats were very comfy. The headrest is my only complaint I think I would like it better if it tipped back just a bit, But I realize that it is designed to protect against whiplash.
    Oh I know, one thing that could be changed on the existing seats, the up down control on the seats seems like its in the wrong range, seems like its lowest position should be a couple inches lower, ever put your seat up to the highest position? I have a hard time believing there is a single person that puts the seat that high.

Side moldings, I don't have them. and I agree there position is relatively useless, and moving it would change the lines of the car, so with that said, I second the use of Ding Proof Doors?panels(DPD or DPP's if you wish).

Glass Sunroof vs Solid, Honestly if glass was offered I would have ordered it. But lets not beat around the bush, how about that Convertible Cougar we are all looking for?

MWS, regarding my Wiper dilemma, I figured it out. They work fine at 55-60, I was experiencing these problems at higher speeds. I guess it would only be a problem on Europe's Autobahn :)
    Also, I got my new wrench in the mail, thank you greatly, good thing they came with instructions, cause I honestly forgot how to put that stuff back in the trunk. do you think in the future, they could include that set of instructions in the Owners manual?

I think thats it.
    Oh yeah Cougar vs Possum
    Cougar 1 - Possum 0 (not playing dead)
  • Options
    Badulah -- thanks for the stereo info. I'll have to start putting a little $$$ aside for it, hope to get something before summertime driving comes around.
  • Options
    I guess I could add a comment about the seats, now that you mention it again. Fredly, thanks for reminding me about the controls. I think the Cougar would be better off with a full 6-way adjustable seat, because at my height, it would be beneficial to me to be able to tilt the seat bottom, instead of it going up and down (it's all the way down, BTW). I liked that feature in my previous car, and it would give the Cougar a nice little rake to the seating that would make it even sportier (is that possible?) to drive.
  • Options
    daexpertdaexpert Member Posts: 140
    Learning to drive manual was tough at first, specially the first hour. I was stalled like 6 times in a row in this particular hill and the car behind me for some reason would just not go around me even though he had plenty of space. So thank God I eventually got the car going again (yup, tires were screeching and everything). But today morning that I drove to work things were just so much better. I didn't stall a single time at all! My only problem is that I think I"m reving the car too much and I'm afraid that I might damage it before the so called break-in period.

The highest I revved it was almost 5k rpm, and that was mistake not because I meant to. I also think I tend to hold the cluth a little more than I have to, like when I'm gonna take a turn and I downshit into third (which is pretty cool because you can't do that with an auto) but am I damaging the clutch?

What do you guys think? When should I change gears, like how fast should I go and at what rpms is it normal to shift? What about the clutch? Any suggestions guy? Thank, I appreciate it.

And I would certainly recommend the manual Cougar, responds a lot better and it even sounds better I think. Just wait till I get the hang of this, it's gonna be a blast! Later and thanks.
  • Options
    Daexpert:
    LOL! Reread your post!

Down shifting around corners is not a bad thing and can help control the car better in a turn, just be sure to shift it smoothly and not to dump it in to a lower gear when going to fast. Once you get the hang of driving a manual, you will never want another auto.

I see we have some new company in the Owners Topic area. There goes the neighborhood (just kidding).
  • Options
    Dasaint:

Congrats on learning! Hills are tough until you get the point of engagement down pat. Still, though, if you're getting places, you must be doing okay. Don't worry about the other guys, if they won't go around you it's their problem. All you can do is give the "I'm sorry" shrug.

Take care, and be safe out there everyone!
  • Options
    Dasaint & Coolchick:
    JVC and Jensen also make RF CD Changers:
    - JVC CH-X200RF - 12 Disc changer, sells for about $240.00

- Jensen RF10DC - 10 Disc Changer, Sells for about $190.00, although I do not recommend Jensen products.
  • Options
    I used to have an RF modulated 10-disc CD changer in my previous vehicle, and it was a snap to install (although I didn't do it because it was new and I wanted the work warranteed) and it worked great! I don't ever remember it skipping, and this was in the back of the extended cab of my pickup.

If you don't want to change the head unit, or if you can't find a compatable CD changer, RF is a nice way to go (if you don't mind giving up one station preset).
  • Options
    Sorry about all the grammatical errors in my post, I'm at work and I just wanted to see if you guys had any suggestions....hehehee. Thanks for the advices though, they're helpful. = )
  • Options
    dasaint1dasaint1 Member Posts: 230
    badulah:
    Thanks for the info on CD changer. However, I'm not really interested in the RF CD changer. I've had a previous experience with them before. I was driving down the coast of California, and everytime I lost the station the CD was playing on, I'd have to search for another station. I'd like a CD changer that's not dependent on a FM station. Is there one available that I can connect to the stock unit or am I doomed to go with the RF unit?

Stageleft:
    Thanks for the compliment, but I'm not the one learning how to drive mtx--I think you meant DaExpert.

DaExpert:
    Hey man, people are confusing the two of us. Maybe we should drop the "Da" in front of our names.

BTW, you mentioned dropping to 3rd on a turn. If you're making a 90 degree turn (left or right), you should be dropping to 2nd gear, unless you drive like a maniac.

2nd gear - 10 to 25 mph
    3rd gear - 20 to 45 mph
    4th gear - 40 and up
    5th gear - same as 4th

Of course, you can vary the speed accordingly--whether you're driving aggressively or just cruising. Since you're still in that break-in period, you shouldn't go over 5K rpm.

I'm at 550 miles. I can't wait 'til she hits 1K miles, then I can let her rip. Look out for speeding Silver Frost--or should I say Silver Blurrr.

As for your grammatical errors, I especially enjoyed the "downsh#t."
  • Options
    cafmeyercafmeyer Member Posts: 2
    dsaint1:
    I went through the same dilema. The stock system is fine for my tastes so I ended up buying a changer through the classifieds on the newcourgar.org site. I bought the changer and head unit for $150 (anybody need a headunit?). I still had to buy the data cable which I got from radiosandmore.com for around $45 (they also sell factory cd changers).

Jeff
  • Options
    Dasaint1:
    If you don't like RF units, than your going to have to buy either the unit FMC installs, or replace your head unit.

Daexpert:
    Normally I don't care about typos in posts, but there was a BIG one in yours. Check out the words "Down Shift" in the second paragraph. LOL!

cafmeyer:
    I don't recall ever seeing you in the CSG before (but I could be wrong), so welcome to the CSG!
  • Options
    malibumalibu Member Posts: 155
    Well my salesman just faxed me a brochure on the 2000 special edition cougar, it has a picture of my car, Beautiful! and a picture of the "special edition badge" it has a cougar head on the left then reads Special Edition in handwriting, it looks sooooo coool. I put it on my bulletin board and everyone keeps asking if it's my sonogram for the new baby...it sorta is! Well just had to share.
  • Options
    fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    I'm on my way down to Florida tomorrow afternoon for vacation and will be without the CSG until next Sunday. I don't know how I will manage. I just checked the oil and tire pressure so shes ready for the trip. I know I will have tons of posts to catch up on. I will let you all know how my Cat did when I get back. See Ya!!!
  • Options
    fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    For my trip tomorrow, I have packed all my car cleaning supplies(car wash, bucket, towels and wheel cleaning stuff). Tell me thats not going a little overboard. I told my Wife that I was bringing my car cleaning supplies and all she did was shake her head. I think I am totally obsessed with my car!!!!! I bet you have never done that badulah!!!! or maybe you have.......
    has anyone else done this or am I the only one who needs therapy???????
  • Options
    fredlyfredly Member Posts: 201
    Count me in on that one, actually
    I brought some of my cleaning stuff down to FL with me.
    And then purchased even more when I got there, I left
    most everything with my Mother, I gave her lessons
    and a complimentary set of cleaning supplies :)

Have a fun trip, be careful if travelling through Virginia
    Watch that speedo...
  • Options
    rickelrickel Member Posts: 34
    I was playing around with a fellow on the Interstate yesterday. He was in a Toyota minivan, and had this silly idea that he was going to pass me. Well, I wasn't about to let THAT happen, so I stepped on the gas.

Just a little.

Now we're doing 80 or so...the minivan speeds up a little. The driver has it in his head to pass me, so that is what he will do. I press my accelerator a little further.

90 mph. He WON'T give up! 95mph...my Kitty is purring now, 3,300rpm, barely ticking over, but Mr. Toyota must have his engine screaming! The guy freaks out and slows down immediately, leaving me to sail off into the sunset.

Last time I saw him, he was a wee box in my rearview. WHAT A CAR THIS COUGAR IS!

But I had a chilling image today of what might have happened if the minivan driver had lost it at that speed....utter destruction and death for the people aboard. I had lured that driver into an impromptu race, which might have led to disaster.

Next time, I'll just floor it, and show him who's boss! No use playing around, they just don't GET IT!

Good kitty!
  • Options
    cafmeyer:
    Thanks for your response. Yes, I agree with you--the stock unit is fine. I don't need to play the music real loud that I'd wake up the neighbors at night (it's not really the neighbors I'm concerned about but my ears).

Let me get this straight, you bought it from the classifieds--was it new or used? So you installed the changer to the stock unit using the data cable. How do you use the single CD on the stock unit, and then use the multiple CDs on the CD changer?

Rickel:
    Take it easy on the minivans. I know it's hard to resist sometimes. But beating a minivan means nothing, and losing to one is unthinkable. You're in a no win situation here.
  • Options
    eurocareurocar Member Posts: 12
    Howdy all you hep cats (cough, chortle)

Well my cat has 31900 miles on it now. Getting close to the end of the standard warranty period and no real problems. Even my brakes don't bug me. The only two things I don't like were there from the beginning: the side moldings and the spoiler. Strictly personal preference of course. But that's what happens when you're impatient. I suppose I still could have waited the extra 3 months to get the car I ordered. That would have made a total of 5 months, with the dealer changing his story on every due date. Seems weird to look back on that experience, I hope the deliveries aren't quite as nuts these days.

Anyway, Mr. Cougar L/M guy, I like the solid sunroof more than the glass. It looks to me to be more integrated with the rest of the car, and it's like the ones that have usually been in the Porsche 911s. I do wish they opened wider though.

I can't believe the side moldings are for looks. What kind? They certainly, IMO, don't do anything but detract. I bet the designers were slashing their wrists when your marketing folks added that option. I wish there was a side molding removal kit. Hey, does anyone know how to do this? Without repainting?

If I was going to purposely have a spoiler, I guess you can't do much better than this one. It's pretty nicely integrated. But I don't like the tail in the air look it gives the car. It does Americanize it though. It adds a nice tasteless touch to an otherwise beautiful vehicle. Must be the same design terrorists who are going to slap one on the Audi TT.

What is it with these magazines and the Cougar's seats anyway? Automobile went off for almost 4 pages, mainly ripping at the cat's seats and how they all had bad backs after driving it. They did publish my letter rebuking them for being a bunch of whiners. But I really don't understand. C&D is nuts anyway. If they're praising the car's driving character now, how does that square with the trashing they gave it earlier.

Oh well, sorry for the bandwidth. Have written for a while, had to get everything in.

By the way. I LOVE my Cougar. Despite the spoiler and moldings.
  • Options
    gustafscgustafsc Member Posts: 361
    Rowing your own is, as far as I'm concerned, the only way to go. Been doing it for 40yrs (note overdeveloped left leg and right arm).

As far as shift points/speeds are concerned, it varys with the type of driving you're doing at the time. Just puttering around town or in normal traffic, 2.5-3K, loaf along in 5th @35mph. Drop to 3rd or 4th to accelerate as required. Saves gas and wear and tear. Hard acceleration calls for shifts in the 5-6K range. Don't pop or slip the clutch under these conditions. A quick, smooth engagement is best. Under normal conditions, moving from a dead stop just takes a little gas with a smooth engagement of the clutch, and away you go. Very little slipping. Eventually this will become more of a feel thing than a mechanical step by step thought process. After a while, you won't even be reading the tach, your senses take over and you know when to do what.

When downshifting at speed (more aggressive driving on the open road into corners etc..) a little rev matching is needed. As you step on the clutch, tap the gas to pick up engine revs so that the engine RPM closely matches the clutch RPM. Done properly, this makes for a smooth shift without damage or clutch wear, the engine helps in reducing speed into the corner, and is in the right gear to exit. The last place you should be downshifting is in the exit from a turn after scrubbing off all of your speed and momentum. In general, double clutching is not needed on modern syncromesh transmissions, but that's a whole different driving lesson.

After a while, the above will come naturally, just like swinging your arms while walking and you don't even think about it. The best time comes when the car is just an extension of your body and all of your attention is on the road and traffic around you.

Take it easy, have fun, and don't think you've become an expert after the first 1K mi. When you can stop thinking about what you're doing, and it just happens, thats when you know what you're doing.

Skip G. (End pontification)
  • Options
    Fish8:
    Have fun on your road trip, and stay safe! And yes I have packed my car care supplies on road trips. They are standard packing items on my road trip packing list (assuming i'm driving).

Dasaint1:
    Yep racing a mini-van is a no win situation.

All:
    Just in case you are ever tempted to race a couple of 911 Porsches while driving down the interstate, let me give you a little piece of advice. Don't waste your gas.
    That's a tip, from your old Uncle Bob.
  • Options
    Dasaint:

Oh man, sorry for the mix-up. I guess when I started typing Daexpert, my fingers completed the name. Much appologies, I would never intentionally mix up two people! Please forgive me! :^)

Skip:

That's good advice for a novice. I haven't been driving a stick for as long as you have, but I know that point of which you speak, there is definately a time when your subconcious takes over the helm, and allows you to focus on traffic and driving, while the arms and legs do the work.

Eurocar:

Long time, glad to see you back. As for the mouldings, I agree with you, but even from a purely cosmetic reason, I like my wing. I've seen the Cat w/o the wing and it just doesn't look right, like they left something unfinished. But, as we all know, it's personal preference, and I respect your opinion. Disclaimer: Stageleft is not responsible for any damage to your Cougar, I love them, and wouldn't want to see any harm done to any of them. I'd check with a body shop first, but the mouldings should just be adhered to the finish on your Cat. Try a little dental floss, it won't scratch the paint, but it makes a great adhesive cutting tool. Run it between the moulding and the door, then you might just have to spend some time rubbing off the adhesive and putting a nice thick coat of wax where the mouldings were. Again, check first.

Rickel:

I think you did okay, because after he passed you, he would've probably just slowed down anyway, causing you to make an abrupt lane change or something. Was it a green minivan? I've been plagued by green minivans lately ...

Fish8/Fredly:

I carry the Quik Detailer in the hatch everywhere I go (unless it's supposed to freeze or something), just so I can clean it up after a trip, or if there's some bird "gifts" on it. As far as my full supply of cleaning gear, I've travelled with that, too! We're all on the same page.

Malibu:

Almost ...

Take care all! Later!
  • Options
    juanbjuanb Member Posts: 6
    OUCH, OUCH, OUCH.... your description of how you are learning to drive with manual its painful :) heheh.. and funny.
    I would have rented a manual car for 2 or 3 days so you would get comfortable with it before putting your cougar through that.
    Rather than on speed, (IMHO), you should shift (up or down) on RPM. If you are not driving aggressively, a good rule of thumb would be shifting up when you get around 3500 RPM, and shifting down when you get around 2500 RPM.
    As you get more confident and willing to get more from your engine, you'll find yourself shifting up at 4500-5500 RPM at low speeds (to get more initial acceleration)... but it will come gradually.
    You mention the sound of the engine, learn to listen to it, for me is its sound what tells me when to shift up and down, not the RPM indicator.
    I'm glad you got an MTX, you'll find ATX boring after that.
  • Options
    Well, I stalled the car only once today, and that was over a speed bump, but that was about it. I think I'm getting better at driving manual, and I believe my grammar has improved also!

I still need to get better at when I need to downshift (if the rpm's are too low) and when to upshift, but I really think I'm doing okay. A big problem is that whenever I shift, I think I'm not doing a gradual movement with the clutch cause the car seems to jerk a bit sometimes, sometimes smooth, sometimes a bit jerky, but I'm getting there!!!!

Yes, manual was definitely worth it, and I'm glad I got it. The dashboard lights seem to be a bit too dim at night compared with my other car, but maybe that's how they are (it's at its brighest setting right now).
  • Options
    cafmeyercafmeyer Member Posts: 2
    dasaint1:

Actually I have the stock tape deck which has the CD Changer controls. So you have to pull out the head unit, plug in the data cable, snake the cable back to the hatch and plug it into the changer. The changer I bought was used, but it came out of another Cougar when the owner wanted something more. He said it was only used a month (at that time it could only have been about year old at most).

badulah:

I've been around around for awhile, only posted a couple of times, so thanks for the 'belated' welcome. I took delivery of my Silver Frost/6cyl/MTX/Sport/Conven. in 11/98 on my birthday; a fantastic present to myself!

Jeff
  • Options
    Cafmeyer and Badulah:
    Looks like I'm stuck with my single CD player. Oh well, that's what I have my wife for--she can be the manual CD changer during long trips. Maybe as the Cat gets older, I'll invest on a new unit.

Thanks for the info, anyways.

Daexpert:
    Glad to hear you're getting used to it. As for the sometimes smooth, sometimes jerking shifting, it happens to me too. It usually happens while I'm shifting to 2nd gear. I let go of the clutch too soon, and she jerks a little bit. But when I make a conscious effort to release the clutch slowly, she shifts smoothly.

I hope my wife learns as quickly as you did. I'm waiting to break-in the engine before I let her drive the Cat. Then I'll teach her mtx. It's actually a scary thought to have someone learn how to drive a mtx for the very first time on my Cat. Say, since your Cat is used to beginners, can you let my wife learn on your Cat too? :>)
  • Options
    cafmeyer:
    Looks like you and me have practically identical cars, except mine is a 2000 model. According to Consumer Reports, metallic Silver is the most popular color. 20% of cars sold last year were metallic Silver. That's either good or bad for us.

On the one hand, it's hard to claim uniqueness. On the other hand, if you ever had to sell the Cat (God forbid), you'll probably have an easier time selling her.

Stageleft:
    I, too, have Meguiar's Quik Detailer and a chamois in the trunk. Hey, every Cougar's trunk should have one. It should be standard equipment--are you listening to me, MWS!!!

If only the trunk had a mini-compartment where I can keep 'em, so they wouldn't be all over the trunk as I'm driving (are you listening to me, MWS).
  • Options
    halo_1halo_1 Member Posts: 27
    Cargo net = $33
    Organized Trunk = PRICELESS

On a serious note, the cargo net is worth every penny.

Regards,
    HALO_1
  • Options
    ambercadabraambercadabra Member Posts: 56
    YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!!!!!!

I picked up my new Silver Frost kitty kat last night and I couldn't be more thrilled. I would have posted last night, but I just couldn't resist the urge to get out and drive.

Rob had asked me to post about a custom cat at the dealership where I purchased mine. The company is local (still trying to find out who it is, exactly - DealerGuy didn't know). It was Lazer Red, with 2-tone black/red leather interior, Cougar emblem embroidered on the headrest, ground effects, custom spoiler, handpainted pinstriping, custom chrome wheels, the whole nine yards. No mods to the engine, I don't think, but MAN was it sharp. Pricetag: $23.5K

My $.02 about the sunroof - I got my kitty with all the toys, and I have to agree with those who like the colorkeyed roof - I think it makes for a more fluid line along the roof. I, also would like it to open a bit more, but for the sleek look of having it blend better with the rest of my car, I'll sacrifice the 1.5" or so. I'm not sticking my head out of it, anyway. At least not while I'm moving.
  • Options
    eurocar --

I myself had a lot of difficulty finding a comfortable seat in the Cougar. I finally ended up with the leather power sport seats after test driving every possible seat. One in particular was so bad after a 5 minute test drive, I had a truly painful spot on the back of my neck for 30 minutes. I won't say the car reviewers are full of hot air on that because of my own experience.
  • Options
    freeverse7freeverse7 Member Posts: 2
    ok i have been checking out these boards, the csg site, and reading everything possible. i am on the verge of making the plunge to buya cougar and i wanted to get as much info as possible. this is the last part of my diabolical scheme to buy a cool car. i am looking for as much info from you, the owners. i want to know everything that you like about the car and everything that you dislike. if i decide that i will go through with my intentions of purchasing a cougar it will be a v6 mtx, with the sport and conv package. i will also be getting the molding, moon roof, leather seats, brake package(anti lock 4wheel and balance). basically i will get everything with the exception of an over priced cd changer. please give me any info that you can on this car, because it is my first new car purchase and i want to be happy with it!!! thanx in advance and please respond objectively...P.S. damn that is a pretty car....
  • Options
    9Cougar99Cougar9 Member Posts: 12
    rickel: I searched graphics online and finally printed out one (that matched my car), glued it over the warning sign and it looks great.

mws0520: I think the moldings should stay where they are because they would change the lines. The cloth seats I had were starting to fray after only 6 months; so I now have Katzkin leather seats with the cougar emblem on the headrest and love them. Speaking of head rests; I'm too short for them to make any difference. It looks like the interior of the cat has finally been changed from beige. People are always asking me why the liner doesn't match the rest.

dgemini: Where do you live....that gas prices are going down?!!

ferrywhistle: Congratulations on your new Cat!
  • Options
    freeverse7:
    I think I covered most everything in my response e-mail to you. I'm glad you have joined our little posting community, i'm sure everyone will be happy to share their thoughts and feelings about their Cougars with you. This is Definitely the best place on the web to come for owner feedback.

ambercadabra:
    CONGRATS! I know how excited you are, I remember when I first brought my Cat home. I couldn't keep from driving it all over the place. Good Luck and Stay Safe!

Thanks for the info on the custom Cat. As I suspected the custom package was strictly an appearance package and not a performance package. Looks are nice, but I personally like the Cat the way it looks without effects. Pinstriping? Why in Henry Ford's name would you want to put pinstriping on a Cougar?

Dasaint1:
    How much are you willing to spend on a CD changer? I might be able to locate you a deal on a package (head unit and changer).
  • Options
    Ambercadabra:
    Congratulations on your new fabulous ride. Welcome to the growing family of Silver Frost Cougars. Hey, we might have to branch out on our own soon. :>)

Freeverse7:
    Reasons not to buy a Cougar:
    1) You like to park the car as close as possible to the mall regardless of whose park next to you.
    2) You hate to handwash and wax your car and prefer the car wash instead.
    3) You hate getting lots of attention; you don't wanna be noticed.
    4) You think that being personally attached to an inanimate object is crazy.
    5) You prefer to pay more money for less of a car such as an Eclipse or Integra or Civic SI.
  • Options
    fastback2fastback2 Member Posts: 55
    Daexpert:

Glad to see you're beginning to enjoy having an MTX. When I first bought my MTX cougar, I noticed that the clutch was a bit "grabby"(engaged abruptly). However, at 20K miles both the tranny and the clutch have broken in quite nicely and are smooth as silk.

MWS:
    One for the suggestion bin: I have the sunroof on my cougar, and have found it to be quite handy during the summer. However, it would be neat if there were some kind of warning beep if one happened to leave it open while getting out of the car. There have been a couple of occasions where I almost forgot about closing the sunroof back up, and a beeper feature would prevent me from finding out about it the hard way(rain-soaked interior or finding a "calling card" from a bird). BTW, my vote is for a glass sunroof. Thanks!
  • Options
    Dasaint1:
    Excellent list of reasons not to buy a Cougar.
  • Options
    All:
    The CSG web site has been updated! The latest update includes pictures from our little meet in Virginia. You can check it out at:
    http://home.att.net/~cougarsupportgroup

-Rob
    AKA "Badulah"
    CSG Caretaker

PS - I look AWFUL in two of those pics (Badulah rolls his eyes while saying that)!
  • Options
    krnchkrnch Member Posts: 127
    The following is a list of changes to the 2001 Cougar, according to the NECO site (taken from Blueovalnews.com). Disclaimer: The original source of this information is unknown and therefore no responsibility or guarantee in the authenticity of this information is provided or implied by myself or the CSG.

Cougar - July 13th scheduling begins, Job #1 is Sep 5th

New front and rear fascia

New grille, fog lamps, spoiler and available in dash 6 disc CD

New colors (Dark Shadow Grey, Tropic Green, French Blue,
    and Sunburst Gold)

New instrument cluster with satin aluminum face/graphics

New headlamps with projector and reflector system

Cougar S job #1 is Sep 5th, 17" aluminum wheels, powertrain
    improvements, sport tuned suspension, Midnight Black leather seats

Any comments MWS?
  • Options
    Badulah --

Ummm, let's not talk about awful looking shots :P
    It looks as if I'm banishing you in one pic :0
  • Options
    Um this information is incorrect. First off this is supposedly for the Cougar-S, not for the standard V6 Cougar. Judging from the picture of the "S" released by FMC, these changes are not present. I personally read Blue Oval news, but I take it with a grain of salt, and I would never post their findings on the CSG site due to the fact it is generally based on rumors.

MWS0520:
    What is your position on all of this?
  • Options
    Coolchick:
    I think you were ordering me to polish your car in that shot.

8-)
  • Options
    Badulah:

I don't order guys to do anything. I just smile and offer them brownies when they do nice things for me :) Remember, it was stageleft who kept telling you that you missed a spot....and I gave him brownies for being nice enough to point that out!
  • Options
    Coolchick:

You were using the "I think there's a blemish" technique on Badulah knowing he couldn't stand to let that go without taking care of it! :^)

Ambercadabra:

Congratulations on taking delivery! I know how hard it is to NOT drive the Cat, so enjoy every minute of it, as I know you will.

Freeverse:

I love my Cougar. I think I got one of the first V6/MTX Cats that came off the truck in '98. I've not had any mechanical problems over the last 22k miles, and it keeps getting nicer every time I drive it. I love to keep it clean, and it's a pleasure when people notice. Good luck in your decisionmaking process, I hope you've found a good L/M dealer that won't hassle you too much.

Dasaint:

I've built a custom, non-skid box in the back of my Cat that I can move around in case I have larger loads than the towel and Quik-Detailer. I've mentioned it some topics back, in case you remember. It's great to not have to worry about stuff flying around back there, especially since the Cougar take corners so well things probably should be! Love the grip ...

Take care all!
This discussion has been closed.