Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Regal Check Engine Light

bbernanderbbernander Member Posts: 6
My 96 Buick Regal's check engine light continues to stay on. I have reset it by disconnecting the battery and have filled up with new gas which worked for about 3 days. The engine seems to sputter once in a while either from a stop at a light or around highway speeds. I have noticed as well the gas gauge has started to float as well when turning corners. What would you say would be a good option at fixing this or the possible cause.

Comments

• shoprat55shoprat55 Member Posts: 3
    The sevice engine soon light was on when we bought this car. we were told to change the EGR valve by a buick dealer. after this fun change, the light still didn't go off. so we thought that we might have to just reset the light. so we brought it to a garage and got it reset. lucky us, a mile down the road, the light came back on. we tried resetting it again, and sure as anything, its back on. does anyone have an idea about this problem, or how we can fix it?
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Take it back to the Buick dealer(not garage) and have them fix it at no charge.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    ty for your suggestion, but the problem with this is we installed it ourselves, the dealer told us what it was, but they didn't do it, so they aren't obligated to do so for free.
  • fondofondo Member Posts: 2
    Hi
    I own a 2002 Buick Regal. I am having some trouble with the car when driving it. I feel a stall or stumble that really jars the car. It is like the car shuts off. This lasted for a number of weeks and the dealer couldn't tell us what was wrong. There was no engine light for weeks while experiencing this problem. Finally the service engine soon light came on and the code we got was for the Mass Airflow sensor. I changed the sensor with a remanufactured unit and reset the code and the car ran fine for 6 to 7 weeks and now it is doing the same thing again but no service engine soon light has come on yet. I checked the sensor and the new one is connected up nicely, the battery cables are clean and not corroded in anyway. There are no codes in the computer at this time telling what it might be. It just has this stumble and it has stalled out a couple of times. Can you give me any advise as to what to do at this point.
    Thanks
    Just a guess, but I would take the Mass airflow sensor off and clean off the connections. I was told that MAF's can be cleaned and reused. I had mine replaced (new) several years ago, no problem since. Or, maybe your remanufactured MAF is going bad??
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • fondofondo Member Posts: 2
    I will give that a try. The MAF sensor was pretty expensive but I wouldn't doubt it would go bad being a remanufactured unit. Do you think I should try to get a new unit and not one that is remanufactured?
    Thanks
    Perhaps the place you bought your remanufactured unit would replace it for you if you told them it was not working. Did it come with any type of warranty?

Hard to say about getting a new one. Funny though that's it's not putting out a code. It cost me around $350 at my Buick dealership for a new MAF sensor, I think that included $90 for diagnostics.
    Get the code read for free at Autozone. Sounds a bit like a dirty mass airflow sensor.
  • bbernanderbbernander Member Posts: 6
    So I received the codes for my 96 Buick Regal of P0102 which is Air Flow Sensor Condition. And Code P0420 Catalyst Efficiency Low bank 1. My question is what Vacuum hoses(location) are I to look at for a possible leak and how to I find a leak. And any simple trouble shooting ideas to narrow down the issue?
  • bbernanderbbernander Member Posts: 6
    I had the MAF replaced but still providing the check engine code along with a low reading on the Catalytic converter of which the mechanic said he could not turn off. Would the code still appear if the new MAF was working properly after I disconnected the battery?

The engine continues to studder which it seems the RPMs fluctuate when coasting and at idle. The RPMs will dip for a second, slowing the vehicle a little and then resume to where it was. And this will continue. At idle the RPMs will fluctuate from 1000 which is a little high to 500 and then back. Plugs and Fuel Filter have been changed, the plug wires seem to be in good condition by looking at the tubing themselves but I am confused as to what else it could be. Any other suggestions?
  • whoodiwhoowhoodiwhoo Member Posts: 3
    my moms 2000 mercury sable acted very similar when it blew a head gasket
  • faith106faith106 Member Posts: 1
    When you find out what the problem is, let me know I am having the same problem on my 02 Buick Regal. I am being told that it is the mass air flow sensor.
  • abaillyabailly Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same issue. We were driving my '98 Buick Regal and all the sudden the car just dies, no power steering nothing and couldn't get it running again. We had to rev the engine throw it into gear and keep the RPM's above 2 just to make sure we got it home. (We were in a no cell phone zone in the mountains!!) Once we got home the car ran just fine!!! HOW FRUSTRATING!!! Check engine light was on until I was almost to the mechanics and wouldn't you know the dang thing went off right before I got there. So he checked the codes and memory and there was a Mass Air Flow Sensor code in there (so he tells me). So I just picked my 1998 Buick Regal up yesterday from the mechanic who put in a new Mass Air Flow Sensor. I took my car up some hills to try and put a load on it to see if it would happen again. Nothing but a crackle noise when the car is in second, which I've heard before but not as much. And my Service Vehicle Soon light came on, not the Check Engine Light. Any ideas what this might be? I'm ready to drive it off a cliff! Any suggestions on the issue would be great!!!!
  • diy_daddiy_dad Member Posts: 2
    I found this site on cabelas forum, http://repairpal.com Punched in 2002 buick regal mass airflow replacement and it said, About this Repair: Mass Airflow Sensor Replacement for your 2002 Buick Regal
    What to watch out for

Mass Airflow Sensors are often replaced when the only problem is a bad connector or the sensor wiring harness. The shop should check these items before replacing the sensor.
    "High-performance" wet foam air filters are not recommended because they will damage the mass airflow sensor and actually cause poor performance.

Recommendations

The air filter should be replaced along with the Mass Airflow Sensor. Dirt and debris should be cleaned out of the system to prevent any damage to the new sensor.

Why this happens

A failing mass airflow sensor can cause the "Check Engine Light" to come on and due to high nitrous oxide, the vehicle may fail an emissions test.

If the Mass Airflow Sensor is not functioning correctly, the vehicle may lack power when accelerating or going up hills
    Mass Airflow Sensors are often replaced when the only problem is a bad connector or the sensor wiring harness. The shop should check these items before replacing the sensor.

I had my MAS replaced a few years ago to the tune of $300. I'm sure the dealership checked for bad connections and only replaced it if necessary... not!
  • michemanmicheman Member Posts: 1
    04 regal service engine light stays on. car runs great, gets good gas milage. 5 codes say (paraphrasing) rich mixture bank 1 (2times) transmision shift solinoid (2times) and turbo malfunction (1time).
    Car has 59000mi. Is there a check to narrow down which components are bad. Car does not have a turbo and never has.
  • joe862joe862 Member Posts: 4
    I just got this 1996 regal 6 cylinder. When you idle the fans wont turn on. I bypassed the control switches and can get them on. My question is, is the coolant level sensor the same as the heat sensor that tells the control units to send power to the fans?
  • zacheryelliszacheryellis Member Posts: 1
    I have a 96 regal grand sport and i have several codes that pop up. The are codes 102, 107, 122, 300, 1107, 1122, and 629. I am not really sure what they mean and I need help fixing this car really fast! if any one know please give me a shout :)
  • buickregal12buickregal12 Member Posts: 5
    i read on this site to check out if the CAT converter is plugged. apparently there is two lines running to it and they crack over time? check it out. also known for helping transmission.
  • buickregal12buickregal12 Member Posts: 5
    my 98 buick regal has alot of problems need help!!!!!! my abs brake sensor light is on and brake light will go on and off. low coolant will stay on. assuming thats the thermostat. check engine light. ??? need a supercharger rebuilding kit. coupler in there is goin out. tranny is the most of my issues tho. i seem to have every problem people are talkin about. it shifts hard at about 40-50 and so on. also it willl shut off on me in the blue? wtf
  • mr_jovanmr_jovan Member Posts: 1
    My car is missing really bad. I have an p1352 code. I changed the intion modlue and I'm thinking about changing the pcm. Is there any one that can help me?
  • joedynamojoedynamo Member Posts: 2
    Disconnect the battery and connect the cables together to reset the controller's door position. The doors should perform a sweep test to relearn door positions. If this fixes the problem, a revised controller is available. Bulletin #02-01-39-001 is related. If that does not fix the problem, use a scan tool to monitor door commanded and actual door positions. Also check for poor a/c performance problem. It is common to cause different dashboard outlet temperatures.

291 days and 20 hours ago.
    Removing the battery cables and putting them together did not solve the problem. I dont know what a scan tool is. my a/c was working very good. I was having no problems until the new battery was installed. There is the push button climate control in the dash and buttons on the passenger door that says cooler and warmer on it. Sometimes when i push around on some of the buttons the outside temp light will quit flashing and i get heat. with the air i get cold on the driver side and heat on the passenger side dashboard outlets. ajusting the climate control on the passenger door does not change the heat to cool.

Posted by Bob 291 days and 20 hours ago.
    Answer
    I understand the ac WAS working ok before, but there is a TSB from Gm on this exact problem and this is the bulletin. It could be just coincidental when you changed the battery the controller is the problem. A scan tool can check the body control module for codes and show you the right direction to go.

#02-01-39-001: HVAC Temperature Difference Side to Side and/or DTC B0361, B0441 Set (Replace HVAC Controller, Splice into Backlighting Circuit) - (Feb 7, 2002) Subject: HVAC Temperature Difference Side to Side and/or DTC B0361, B0441 Set (Replace HVAC Controller, Splice into Backlighting Circuit) Models: 1997-99 Buick Century, Regal 1998-99 Oldsmobile Intrigue with RPO CJ2 Condition Some customers may comment on a temperature variation between the left and right hand ducts. Typical concerns may include that the right side of the vehicle cools down but the left stays warm or the opposite. This condition is sometimes associated by the customer with a recent service visit for other non-related repairs. The codes, DTC B0361 or B0441, may be present but will not illuminate a telltale lamp. Cause The HVAC controller unit and the TEMP door actuator motors rely on a feedback system that supplies the controller with count values in order to accurately adjust the air temperature. When battery power is interrupted to the HVAC controller, the current actuator position values are lost. When power is restored, the controller will perform a "sweep test" of the doors from full cold to full hot and record the end values for reference. Over time, the TEMP doors may develop some flexing when run to their extremes. This flexing allows the count values to run out of range (beyond 0-255) and results in DTC code B0361 or B0441 to set. Correction A revised HVAC controller has been released with new programming that allows for a wider tolerance in the expected range of the TEMP door. Replace the controller using the procedure below: Important: On the 1997 Buick Century and Regal, additional steps are required. You will have to run a jumper wire to the new HVAC controller. Be sure to follow the additional 1997 model year steps below. 1. Disconnect the negative battery cable. Important: On the Buick Regal, the console must first be removed to access the HVAC controller. For Buick Century and Oldsmobile Intrigue, skip to Step 10. 2. Apply the parking brake and block wheels. 3. Shift the transmission to first gear. 4. Remove the console trim plate and disconnect the electrical harness. 5. Disconnect the cigarette lighter sockets. 6. Remove the console storage box. 7. Remove the console control plate and disconnect electrical harness for traction control and heated seats, if equipped. 8. Remove the console retaining bolts. 9. Remove the console from the vehicle. 10.Remove the HVAC trim panel, if equipped. 11.Remove the HVAC controller retaining bolts. 12.Disconnect the electrical harness. 13.Discard the HVAC controller. Important: At this point, you must refer to the 1997 Buick section below if working on that model and year. The section below includes steps to revise vehicle wiring to enable HVAC controller backlighting. 14.If the vehicle is a 1997 Buick Century or Regal, refer to the section below titled 1997 Buicks (Enabling Backlighting Circuit). 15.Connect the HVAC controller electrical harness and install the controller retaining bolts. 16.Install the control module trim plate, if equipped. Skip to Step 23 for the Buick Century and Oldsmobile Intrigue. Continue below for the Buick Regal. 17.Install the console to the vehicle. 18.Install the console retaining bolts. 19.Install the console control plate and connect the electrical harness for traction control and heated seats, if equipped. 20.Install the console storage box. 21.Connect the cigarette lighter sockets. 22.Install the console trim plate and connect the electrical harness. 23.Shift the transmission to PARK and unblock the wheels. 24.Connect the negative battery cable. Additional Steps for 1997 Buicks (Enabling Backlighting Circuit) 1. Remove the radio retaining bolts. 2. Remove the radio and disconnect the electrical harness. 3. Prepare an 457.2 mm (18 in) long, 18 gauge jumper wire. If multiple colors are available, it would be the most convenient to use grey to continue the backlighting circuit in the same color. 4. Locate and splice one end of the jumper wire to the grey wire occupying pin location F4 at the radio harness. 5. Position the radio back into the I/P and route the jumper wire down to the HVAC controller harness location. 6. Using a new terminal (GM P/N 12146447 Micro-Pak .35-.50), attach and install the other end of the jumper wire into cavity C16 of the HVAC controller harness. The row and column position indications are molded into the body of the HVAC controller at the harness location. 7. Connect the electrical harness to the HVAC controller. 8. Connect the negative battery cable and test the HVAC backlighting by turning on the headlamps and varying the backlighting intensity. 9. Install the radio retaining bolts. 10.Install the I/P upper trim panel. 11.Refer back to Step 15 of the Correction section to complete the procedure. (You will have already connected the electrical harness).
    Parts Information Part Number Description 10435588 Controller, HVAC (Buick) XXXXXXX Controller, HVAC (Oldsmobile) Parts are currently available from GMSPO.

Read more: I changed the battery on my 1996 buick lesabre a... - JustAnswer http://www.justanswer.com/questions/2n7ej-i-changed-the-battery-on-my-1996-buick- -lesabre-and-now-the#ixzz0v6kyeF5P
  • nyrprnyrpr Member Posts: 1
    I replaced mass air flow sensor 2x, removed throller assy and cleaned ,installed new gasket,replaced throller sensor,replaced mass air flow connector. the last thing I did was replaced mass air flow sensor again and check engine light did go out,but it stayed off until I turn on the A/C. As soon I turn on A/C check engine light came back on and driver side vent hot air came out and pass side is ok cold air. Which was working fine before P0102 problems started. Any idea what is wrong? In the last 6 months, Battery,starter,alternator,ignition switch,plugs, coil, wheel hubs,rotors,and brake pads all been replaced for different reasons. I would like just 1 month that nothing was wrong with the car. lol If there is a short or bad ground between A/C and Mass Air Flow? where? Can it be the idle solenoid?
  • maffei13maffei13 Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2012
    Like a lot of you my check engine light stays on..low tire stays on inside dash lights not so good sometimes fog lights work Hi-beam is what I use all the time because, tried replacing the drivers side lo beam- worked for a bit, then both now don't work, even with new bulbs. someone mentioned fuses-- mine are under hood and I have no manual and I'm a broke girl $$$ can't do expensive hoping someone could share their fix its
    thanks Pam
    Everything else works pretty well. Only had the car 4 mos. I sat in a tow yard I believe for couple of years. Thankfully it just doesn't stop
  • onefunkaronefunkar Member Posts: 113
    turn ignition on. in fuse box is tire pressure relearn button. push it and you should be good. make sure tire pressure set correctly when doing this. some auto stores will check code for check engine light for no charge then at least you will know what is wrong.
  • maffei13maffei13 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you located the inside fuse box did that, took positive cable off and check engine and low tire lights went off. I was very happy but now again after working for a while now lo beams or hi beams do not work uugghhh. Where do I begin searching for a short OMG I was so excited I thought I actually followed directions and fix it :(