Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Crew - Events

Comments

• Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Actually Patti...

On an automatic trans you only need 1 hand on the wheel ;) (unless you have kids you need to smack around ;) )

But on a serious note, on long trips, I'd like a driver side handle to hold onto just to rest my arm. It's a nice change to hang your arm up there instead of just resting it on the arm rest. Just a thought.

-mike
  • Options
    c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    All of a sudden the Dave contingent has been replaced with Mikes . . . .

Mike (Torricelli), there IS a driver's side O.S. handle on the Outback. If the driver has to let go of the wheel to grab onto that, well, there definitely must be trouble. But, it's there just in case.

I'm still befuddled by the door lock setup though. The manual button slides back to lock, the power button slides forward to lock. Huh??????

Mike (Smith), be sure to report back about the rendezvous. I should have gone -- we planned a day at Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, but ended up staying home. I just helped to can some pickles, and now we're going out to shop for new curtains and get some Mums. Help me!! The only consolation is that I get to eat some of the pickles in the coming months, and we'll probably take the Soob shopping!

I would like to make it to the Fall Foliage gathering in late October -- Charlottesville is really nice that time of the year, and it would be good to meet some of you guys. And Patti, I would love to check out an H6! I'll be up there in early October for the Apple Festival and some hiking, and am looking forward to driving through Skyline drive in Shenandoah NP with the Outback. I used to scare my passengers queasy in the curves when I had a Prelude (had to test out the active torque transfer system (ATTS), right?), but I'll probably tone it down some in the OB. Though, the AWD sort of acts like a front-to-back ATTS . . . . hmmmm.

Have a good weekend, all.

Craig
  • Options
    2 of us may be interested in the FF tour, but need some details.

-mike
  • Options
    subaru_teamsubaru_team Member Posts: 1,676
    Handles - sorry, I thought you were goofing on me. I seem to think that Craig is right about the handle being in the O. B. I'll scope out some car's at lunch time and find out which has 'em and which don't!!
  • Options
    miksmimiksmi Member Posts: 1,246
    The Rendezvous: wow, what a lot of Subes! I guess there were 200 or so cars, two-thirds vans and SUVs, one-third Subes: Outback, Forester, Legacy wagon, Outback Sport, GT sedan (from most to fewest), even an SVX! I think I had the only GT wagon there but I didn't take a thorough inventory. Mostly VA, MD, PA, NJ plates, but I saw some from VT.

I "only" spent 3 hours there with my wife with and two children and ran out of time to do everything. Kids loved exploring the LL Bean tents; they liked the three "room" tent the best -- one for mommy and daddy and one for each of the them. Now they think they want to spend the night in one -- which is great! We'll try it in the back yard for starters.

I was wearing my Coventry City Football Club jersey emblazoned with SUBARU (photo) and boy, wasI treated like royalty! Every Subaru representative I saw asked me where I got the shirt. Funny thing is that the SoA district service operations manager (who has a lovely 52 Bentley and of course an 01 Outback) has the same shirt -- he convinced an associate in Subaru UK to procure his.

I met a marketing rep from Subaru of Canada and mentioned Ash's fuel injector problem and the high-sulphur fuel issue (thanks Colin); she hadn't heard of either problem (but then again, she's in marketing not service). Several SoA reps for DC introduced themselves, including Mike Smit (yes, that's my namesake missing an H). Always great to talk Subes with the factory reps. I voiced our desire to move the H-6 into the GT and of course turbos into the whole line (including one for Kate's next Forester).

Also ran into Bill (an Edmunds lurker) who is going through the same evaluation process I did (Passat wagon vs. Subaru wagon). When I mentioned Edmunds, he wanted to know if I was the one and only juice (he read juice's opinion of the Passat). Turns out he lives about 1 mile from me. Small world, even in the megapolis of DC.

I sat in an LL Bean 3.0; didn't care for the feel of the leather on the Momo wood steering wheel. Might have been that it was a pre-production version. I like my GT's leather wheel better (just personal preference). Wish I could have driven it around but I had fun salivating over the H-6 anyway. I've got the 01 brochures and I'm digesting them. It's funny though: through the miracle of modern computer graphics, they re-used the photos in the 00 brochures and changed the colors (like the GT Limited sedan from Rio Red to Winestone Pearl). I wouldn't have noticed except that I've memorized every inch of that lovely GT photo, so I remembered its color.

Craig, if you like coasters, there is ERT (Exclusive Ride Time) on Superman at Six Flags Largo this Saturday. The event is organized by the Coaster Zombies and though that page is mum, the date is this Saturday 16 September. I've ridden the coaster and it r00lz; lots of air time. It's no Millennium Force (see this post), but it's definitely worthwhile. Email me if you want to meet up.

Well, I'm really glad I went to the Subaru Outback Rendezvous. If there's one heading your way, go to it! Thank you, SoA and the other sponsors!

..Mike, still jazzed on this morning's coffee

..Mike

• Options
    Yep... They do the same thing in my Trooper brochures, same photoes 1998-2000 all they did was photoshop in a differnt grill, rims, and got rid of the 2 tone. (I noticed the snow was in the same spot on a mailbox in the background)

-mike
  • Options
    Mike, thanks for the great report. Sounds like it was a cool event, and it's good that you got to talk to the factory reps. So, where can the rest of us get one of those cool shirts??

I'm lukewarm about coasters -- I generally have a good time, but some scare the hell out of me. I've flown with test pilots and skied off cliffs -- no big deal -- but am a big baby when in comes to amusement park rides. Probably a bad childhood experience I've blocked out somewhere . . .

Funny thing about brochures and websites -- I've seen several instances where they flip an image around to recycle it. Look closely at the pictures on Subaru's website -- I saw two or three that were "backwards".

Craig
  • Options
    The shirt I have is last year's model, solid light blue. This year's fashion statement is wide light blue and white stripes -- ugh! Click on the CCFB link above and go to their catalog. They have marketed that team to the hilt -- umbrellas, baby clothing, etc. Not everything says Subaru. You want the Home Team "Kit", which Subaru sponsors. The Away Team "Kit" is sponsored by.. Isuzu (oh no, more fuel on paisan's FHI/SIA/Subaru/Isuzu conspiracy fire!).

Craig, coasters are pretty lame compared to a ride with a test pilot! But no prob, thought I'd check as you just can't beat ERT.

Toodles.

..Mike

..Mike

• Options
    Just give me my XT6 or my Trooper and the 2 lane blacktops or forest roads in upstate NY...

I always hated coasters cause it's generally some teen aged kids who are paying more attention to the chicks than what they are doing running em... That scares me.

-mike

PS: Yes... FHI/SIA/Isuzu/GM fire is still a brewin!
  • Options
    kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Just got an e-mail reminder for the Edmund's Live event in the San Fran Bay Area. They're claiming the Escape will be there.

Ken
  • Options
    qsubaruqsubaru Member Posts: 37
    If it is, please don't drive it.
    Since we are also a FORD dealer, I see all of the recall info.....I'd personally be afraid to get behind the wheel, might get out with it in my hands.

Darlene
  • Options
    Ouch! How about I try tugging on the steering wheel first to make sure it's okay? :)

Ken
  • Options
    Okay, I just got back from Edmund's Live in the Bay Area! What a blast! I was only there for 2.5 hours, but I had a great time. It's well worth the $15.

During my time there, I drove a sampling of almost every vehicle class. Here's some of my impressions:

Small SUVs: I got to drive the Escape. It looks and feels the largest of all the other small SUVs. Interior finish was okay but acceleration was impressive. Handling not too bad and it did well over the "off-road" part. And, no, the steering wheel didn't fall off.

I also drove the CR-V, RAV4, GV and Forester as well. While the acceleration & torque award goes to the Escape, the handling award goes easily to the Forester. The all the others felt pretty sloppy in the slalom. The two vehicles I was least impressed were was the CR-V and RAV. Both had lethargic power and handling was pretty soft. The CR-V flexed quite a bit over the bumps.

I also got in trouble with the Forester. It was the very last vehicle I drove during the day so I really pushed it. I ended up swinging the tail end in on of the hairpin turns knocking over three cones. Got yelled at by an attendant -- sorry guys! ;-p

Near Lux Sedans: Drove the IS300, BMW 323 and Acura 3.2TL. The IS300 was a blast. I had the rear tire squealing through all the turns. Great feel and acceleration. The TL was very comfy but gave a well-controlled ride. The least impressive was the 323. It felt heavy and sluggish through the slalom.

juice was right on his advice. Get there early! Your reservation time slot and vehicle category mean nothing! You can show up way in advance and drive any vehicle you like all day.

Ken
  • Options
    Great reviews, Ken, thanks! ..Mike

..Mike

• Options
    thecatthecat Member Posts: 535
    Thanks for the reviews. I agree, the IS300 was the ride of the day. I also found the BMW to be a little disappointing .. maybe I expected too much. I was unable to get the Forester to let its tail loose. Lord knows I tried! The G.V. was a real shock to me. I expected tank like handling and was pleasantly surprised. Although it didn't handle like the Soob it was superior to either the Rav or CRV. BTW, I knocked more than a few cones down during the day .. nobody said a thing. All said and done, Emdz Live was the most fun I ever had for $15.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    subaric: Your Outback will be fine for light off-roading. Dave Zartman has gone a bunch, as has David Chen (87% of Subaru owners are named "Dave").

I just took my Forester on the sands of the Outer Banks, and was very, very impressed. What a ball! And I still managed 20.5mpg, in a week of driving off road EVERY single day!

Miracle of coincidences, your loyal chief has already obtained and installed an "oh-poop" bar on the driver's side. Yes, indeed, with Darlene's help we dug up the part number and I bolted on one. The Forester has holes ready and waiting, you just need the part, and some bolts (not included).

Is that hilarious or what? Paisan talks about it, and sure enough, I'd already installed it. Yes, as usual, I have photos to share, probably tomorrow.

Oh, and yes, it was handy. Driving back from the beach, on several occasions it was at sun down. That means sharp rays right in the eyes, and a filthy salt/sandy windshield means zero visibility. So I hung partially out the window, holding my new oh-poop bar, so I could see.

Worked like a charm. I'm dead serious, too.

Bill - looking forward to meeting you, even if you do settle for the wheezy Passat V6. ;)

Sometimes you intend to be funny. Other times it's by accident. Darlene: you gave me the best laugh I've had all year long with post #269.

I can see the T-shirts now: "Friends don't let friends drive Escapes".

-juice
  • Options
    Ken: sounds like our impressions at Edmunds Live were similar, except you drive more like THE CAT! :)

Can you elaborate on the Escape's handling?

I also wasn't impressed much with the 2.0l contingent. It's clear they were launched before all the torque showed up.

The attendants didn't seem to care much here. Oh well, sounds like fun - slipping the tail out. Who says a Soob can't oversteer?

The car mags are not as friendly to the IS, but they must be comparing it to a 5 speed 328, not an auto 323 like you and I drove. The Lexus was easily the better of the two, we agree.

-juice
  • Options
    juice,

When I sat in the Escape, the first thing I noticed was that the ride height was significantly taller than any other mini SUV. In fact, it almost felt Xterra-like.

The interior was done in a grey patterned fabric that didn't look too bad. The dash and controls had the typical Ford-grey plastic look to it. Overall impression was spartan, but something you would expect for a vehicle in it's price range.

The rear seat was what was most impressive. Even with my friend, Tony, who is about 6" with the driver's seat set comfortably for him, there was ample leg room in the back.

Acceleration felt brisk. The V6 engine is reasonably responsive and flooring it gave you the satisfaction of the 200HP under the hood. The Escape felt the quickest in straight line accleration.

Overall ride felt taut, not springy. Aside from a fair amount of body roll which was to be expected, the Escape felt pretty good in the slalom course -- much better than the CR-V, but not quite as good as the Forester. Ford must have decided to use stiffer springs in the Escape because it just seemed to handle the slalom much better than the Explorer.

On the bumps, the Escape felt quite solid. In my opinion, the GV felt the most solid with the Escape and Forester in second. Body flex was not noticeable and the suspension did a good job of working out the pitching and diving.

On the big "hill" I stopped mid way, flipped the switch to 4x4 "ON" and tapped the gas. The Escape pulled forward with minimal slip unlike the CR-V where I got the front to slip and then feel the rear kick in.

That's about all I could get from the short track they had set up in Golden Gate Fields. Overall, I was impressed with the Escape. Aside from the fact that it is a Ford and it's on it's 3rd recall (not counting the Firestone tires), I would give it a hard look if I were looking for an alternative to bigger SUVs. If I wanted handling, I would go with the Forester.

I honestly felt that the Escape will give just as much, if not more, competition to the Explorer aside from small SUVs. The Escape costs less, handles better and seemed to have as much passenger and cargo space as the Explorer.

Ken
  • Options
    Agreed, but that's why Ford's coming out with a bigger Explorer.

In the meantime, the Escape will sell very well, especially with the Firestone/Explorer scare.

-juice
  • Options
    lucien2lucien2 Member Posts: 2,984
    Still no info posted. I'll be about 2 hours away that day, so I doubt I could make it, but I thought at least some of us could hook up on y'all's return trip. (that is the proper number of apostrophes. Contrary to popular usage, "You all," in its contraction form, would be "y'all." This does not stop 99% of Texans from spelling it "ya'll," which makes no sense at all. "A" is not a letter found in the word "you.")
  • Options
    Check it out, I made SCOA's cover page.

Garry misspelled Forester (one "r"), though. Oops. I got an SCOA T-shirt so I can forgive him!

He only mentions the event and the date - 10/22.

Hey - it's on a....SUNDAY! Finally!

-juice
  • Options
    ...Driving school is that day!! i STILL can't make it. That is why I wanted more info, so I could try to catch up at the end of the day.

FWIW, that page is also rife with bad apostrophes.
  • Options
    ...uh, nice helmet, man! I though that was Lance for a sec!
  • Options
    Apostrophes - you crack me up!

I need a new one - Tati ate the innards of the one you see in the photo.

Any suggestions? Just go to Performance Bikes?

-juice
  • Options
    yea, that will work. You want to be able to actually try them on (sound familiar?), so I don't recommend mail order for helmets.
  • Options
    subaru_teamsubaru_team Member Posts: 1,676
    and it's a Sunday?? Well, I think I'll bring the family! I'll confirm soon!
  • Options
    We're still waiting on the details. I will be in Summit Point, WVa chasing Bimmers around the course there. I don't know if I can catch up with FFT participants, as I will be engaged until at least 6:00 and will be 2 hours from Charlottesville. I have emailed Gerry about details and am awaiting a reply.
  • Options
    Garry says FF info will be available on or about Oct. 8
  • Options
    Loosh: pray for rain. Early snow would take a miracle.

Patti: please do come, it'll be a lot of fun.

Garry said we'll probably meet at 9am, and the first car will leave at 10am for the Gimmick Rally and Tour. Should be beautiful and scenic, with the folliage at its peak.

It should end around 2pm, he said, and we'll gather and check odometers and times. Top 3 get a prize, too.

Don't be surprised if Darlene takes good care of us once again. ;)

-juice
  • Options
    dzartmandzartman Member Posts: 112
    Attention all Southern California Subaru drivers.
    Anyone want to run a "mini-rally" in the hills
    north of LA? I know some great ridgeline roads
    with sweet up and downhills, plus nice corners as
    well which I've run in my Outback. There's a great
    place to park and chat while Soobies run the
    "course." yes, this is strictly for fun,
    non-sanctioned, etc etc. I'm bored with running my
    Soob through the hills solo and figured it would be
    fun to meet up with some folks and run our
    vehicles as they were designed for. Just an idea,
    but it'd be a hoot. Anyone interested drop me a
    line at dzman7@aol.com. Comments welcome.

dave z

http://www.wave.net/diveguy/Dave

sri bout weird type placement from copying. Sheesh!
  • Options
    chriscoulterchriscoulter Member Posts: 17
    Had a blast w/ our 5 mo. old OB wagon yesterday.
    Drove to Cuyama and up Santa Barbara Cyn., then left up Dry Creek Cyn. and 7 miles or so up toward Cuyama Pk. ROCKS AND RUTS AND STEEP SLOPES NOT FOR THE FAINT HEARTED. Put "ruby", our wintergrn. baby, and her ltd. slip differential through her paces indeed. Thought we would have to give up around every other bend. But slow and steady, never missing a step, she hauled us up the mountain with no more to show at the end of the day but a few "knee-skinnings" on her lower lip. (You know what I'm talking about?)

I want to shout "I LOVE THIS CAR!" from the top of every mountain with anything like a goat trail going up it's side.

Keep me posted on the rally idea. Santa Barbara is not so far from Thousand Oaks and after yesterday it sounds like alot of fun!

Chris
  • Options
    Lemme guess, WINEstone pearl? :)

Come on, folks, RSVP to Garry ASAP. Freebies have been secured.

Chris - sounds like a fun run. Did you catch any photos of the trail or the scenery?

-juice
  • Options
    This was the most fun I've had in a Subaru; even beats driving in the snow. i Club thread.

..Mike

..Mike

• Options
    Let me get this straight . . . you took your wife's station wagon to the track? That ROCKS!!

Sounds like you had a good time, which is cool. Reading the iClub thread makes me sad that I sold my Prelude -- it was a sweet track car (even if I wasn't always the perfect driver).

So, were you the only wagon out there? ;-)

Craig
  • Options
    Holy Cow, Soobs passing Bimmers and a Vette, plus a live rollover? 140mph turbo RSs? Think you got your money's worth?

Sounds awesome, you da man! I should've gone just to see you wringing that wagon around the track!

-juice
  • Options
    I guess I don't feel so bad about missing the Fall foliage tour for a weekend at Summit Point in my wagon. :))
  • Options
    francophilefrancophile Member Posts: 667
    ...I am soooooo jealous! Flogging your wife's car that way - I just can't believe it. Either you married the sweetest woman on earth, or else you told her you were doing something else, like saving a rare breed of WV baby mountain goat from extinction or some such silliness (grin).

To all who participated, it sounds like it was a fabulous outing. Promise not to stop having them until I get back east and can come along on a few, please?!?

Cheers,
    WDB
  • Options
    I'm going next time, and one of you guys is going to have an extra 200 lbs of ballast. ME!

-juice
  • Options
    Yep, Craig, 'twas the wife's wagon at the track. After all, "TIS HER SUBARU" ;) Hehe, being the only wagon was the best part. I think the other drivers would have been less forgiving of my lousy driving if I was in a RS. Not to mention the interest off the track that it generated.

Hehe WDB, I hope to be doing this as often as permitted by my wife the saint. Lucien and I are already making plans for next year; will keep you informed here. I need to find a PC-based driving simulator/game, preferably w/a Subaru or Legacy, to practice track driving.

I couldn't sleep the night before, the night of, and the night after the track day. Last night I finally got more than 5 hours of sleep in one night. I am still pumped. I didn't realize how complicated driving actually is. I learned an awful lot about vehicle dynamics but I've barely scratched the surface.

..Mike

..Mike

• Options
    You forgot the best part (we spoke on the phone).

Tell everyone about the bathroom first part, and about what it felt like to pass a Testarossa.

Heck, I'd be bragging to everyone I knew!

-juice
  • Options
    Thats great you had such a blast. Isn't it amazing how tough it is to "really" drive on a track? I felt like a granny my first time out, but got better and better with each lap. It's really exciting to start getting a feel for the car and course.

The real difficulty is trying to drive normally on the way home from the track . . . .

Craig
  • Options
    In class, you are told: "Go to the bathroom before the track. We want you concentrate on the driving, not your bladder."

The best part was my instructor for the first two (of four) 20-minute sessions is SCCA licensed in his Integra. Between newbie sessions, instructors get exclusive use of the track. He wanted to show me some things and invited me for a drive. Serious business: roll cage, fire extinguisher, five-point harness, race suspension, Kevlar brake pads, gigantic rotors. Never having belted up in a 5-pt, I learned the hard way to 1) close door and 2) belt in. I reversed the two, couldn't budge, and had to ask someone to close the door. My instructor did the same thing but with his sunglasses, which he couldn't find (they were on the floor). D'oh!

What a scream! Good thing I followed class instructions before the lesson. He completely maxed out the vehicle, threshold braking, sliding, tires begging for mercy.. it was an unbelievable ride. He was either maxing out the brakes or the gas (which is how you race, at least according to the book I read).

To give you an idea of what was happening, I exited turn 3 on lap 1 at 60mph, on later laps at 70mph; he took it in stride at 89mph! (and that's with my BBB (big bum balast)) (BTW I never looked at my speedometer; he read the numbers to me. I just listened to the engine and felt the car's feedback.) We passed every vehicle on the track (more than once), including a Testarossa that we overtook coming out of turn 10. Drivers being passed signal those wanting to pass; though the Testarossa could have overtaken us on the straight we entered after turn 10, we clearly were faster exiting the turns and the Testarossa driver acknowledged that by letting us pass. Links: Summit Point Raceway and track config.

Good grief I am spent for the day.

..Mike

..Mike

• Options
    Indeed, Craig, "really" driving the track is tough. Yes, the hard part is that s l o w drive home, of which a friend warned me prior to departure.

..Mike

..Mike

• Options
    Way cool. I can't wait for this weekend. the Jefferson circuit was fun, but I am really looking forward to the big track. 2 full days of track, classroom, and skidpad instruction in my OB will be exhausting, but fun.

Just gotta keep the shiny side up ;)

Loosh
  • Options
    I can't wait to get my XT6 going again and take it to the track with Mike Smi!

Any new developments in the SIA Tour this spring? Once I get the Isuzu section of the Edmunds Owners going, I'd like to invite them to tag along. Let's make this happen!

-mike
  • Options
    That sounds like a good idea. We'll probably get a lot more interested parties.

What's the time table like on the Isuzu topics?

-juice
  • Options
    Well Bonnie said that within 2weeks give or take they should be up. We have a decent interest so they should be nice and full.

-mike
  • Options
    IN!
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Who am I going to see this Sunday at the Fall Foliage Tour?

Unfortunately, it looks like I'll be flying solo. Wife and daughter are currently in Florida looking at more colleges. And... I'm getting up too early to wake my son, who has absolutely no interest in Subarus, foliage, or waking up early. I don't think I'll be bringing Annie (our Golden Retriever) either, as she has a nasty habit of eating food from tables. Don't think that will go over to well at the buffet.

See ya'll Sunday!

Bob
  • Options
    wife, children, and me with a huge grin that I can't seem to shake since last Friday's track day. :->

..Mike