Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew - Events

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    The i Club has events in that area. Start here:

http://www.impreza-rs.com/

and then go to Bulletin Boards. Register, and join in on the fun. There is a New England chapter.

-juice
    As promised, here are photos of the i Club @ Dave & Busters.

They had a video game inside that allows up to 4 people to race each other in, what else, Impreza rally cars. We had a ball.

-juice
  • noclassnoclass Member Posts: 24
    The Subaru Club of America Summer Picnic, Parts Swap and Park Tour will be 26 Aug 00 at the Gettysburg National Military Park. The plan is to bring your picnic basket, your camera, good spare parts to sell or trade, bring your Subaru and maybe even your bicycle for a day in the park. The group will meet at the Picnic Area near Tour Stop 7 at Warfield Ridge around 11a.m. If your unfamiliar with the park, just follow the signs to the Visitors Center were you can obtain a Park map. The picnic area does NOT have grills and does not permit charcoal grills. Gas and Propane camp stoves are permitted. I will have my camp stove and a pan for those who would like to cook something. In the event of rain or snow, we will still meet at the picnic area but can then go to General Picketts Buffet ($9.95 per person) rather than sitting in the rain. The picnic area has lots of tables, plenty of shade and bathrooms available, but that's all !! The park is way to crowded to even think about having a gimmick rally in and around the area (sorry !) I'm planning on bringing my bicycle and doing some riding around the park in the afternoon. There are several tour bus plans to see the park for those who prefer the guided air conditioned tours and bikes are available for rent in town. (email me if you need particular info on this, I have all the flyers, including hotel listings! scoa@subaruclub.com). Just for fun, we will all vote on who's car we like the best (secret ballot !), and I'll see if I can dig up a cool door prize for the winner (drool bucket award ?!). The winner has to win by more votes than bodies were present in their car upon arrival. All Park links are provided below. Hope to see a lot of Subarus there.

FLASH FLASH : We will be adding a country drive to the event. It will most likely be 30 to 40 miles around the Gettysburg Area. Details are still being worked out, but driving instructions will be printed out and available to all that attend.
    Try to go, folks. I have freebies for all that attend, and they're nice!

Be there or be square.

-juice
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Count me in on that. Maybe we can drag patti with us?

-mike
  • lucien2lucien2 Member Posts: 2,984
    ...working! A pox on my retail job! Plus I have a wedding gig after work, so there ain't no chance getting there early, either. }:-(

BTW, what date are we considering for FATT?
  • miksmimiksmi Member Posts: 1,246
    Dude, I thought you had already signed up! 13 October. I've already signed up. Here's the i Club headcount thread, original FATT thread, and FATT testimonial (all in Mid Atlantic forum). Ack, I hope you can make it. Sign up soon to reserve a slot; they might already be filled.

..Mike

..Mike

Crapola. Where do I sign up?? I'll start hunting google for it, but if you see this post it for me.
    O.k., found it. I will call today....after I check with Kirsten. That is the morning after our anniversary, AND I have my monthly gig at J. Patrick's that night, so..... It depends on what she wants to do the night before, and depends if I can get home, get gear loaded, and get to the pub by 8:30 or so. I'll keep you posted.
    Confidence is not high. :(

Oh, and happy anniversary!

..Mike

OK, who's interested. So far, Yellow Bike Don, paisan, Mike Smith, and myself, so we've got 4 interested parties to start.

Who would be interested in an SIA Plant Tour in the spring?

-juice
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I'm in!

Bob
    Of course the east cost crew can caravan out there too... Maybe we can convince patti to come too.

-mike
    Maybe Patti could borrow a VDC program car for the trip. That would be schweet!

-juice
    Mike-

Lemme call BSR and find out if they still have room, and how long the day goes. I REALLY want to go. Problem is also that I am gooing there the next weekend with BMW so I can't ask fr Friday and Saturday (13,14) off. Oh crap, that's Friday the 13th...

Juice-

SIA: I am tentatively in. Depends on when and how long...actually, it just depends on whether Kirst will let me go solo if she can't get away from school.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    ... If all the east coasters (Marylanders) go in one one vehicle, it would have to be mini-van!

Bob
    I didn't think of that... I could put a 3rd row of seats in my trooper and tow all the subies behind it :)

-mike
    So we've got 6 likely:

juice
    Mike Smith
    Yellow Bike Don
    Bob Holland
    Loosh
    paisan

How 'bout you West Coasters?

-juice
  • barresa11barresa11 Member Posts: 277
    Count me in, I definitely would be interested in going.

Stephen (West Coast, Seattle)
    Mike, FATT is waitlisting. I'm on it, of course, but I don't know if the prospects are good or not. Sorry, dude, I wasn't following the iClub board at all.
    I was off Edmunds for a while and then I saw one of your posts saying you were going to Summit Point; thought you had signed up for FATT, now realizing it was for the BMW school. But twice in two weeks might be asking too much of Kirsten and your employer anyway :) Next time I'll do better of keeping you in the loop.

BTW I'm now in Hingham, MA (south of Boston) on vacation at my inlaws. Beautiful beach weather yesterday. Heading back Saturday, unfortunately too late for Valley Forge. I'm bummed (til Friday the 13th in October :)

..Mike

..Mike

• FrankMcFrankMc Member Posts: 228
    I don't think there are any really big groups in town this weekend. Last weekend we had the PA chapter of Harley Davidson and the town was absolutely filled with motorcycles.
  • subaru_teamsubaru_team Member Posts: 1,676
    Hi folks! Dependent on the date of the meeting, I should be able to get there - and maybe have a few surprises up my sleeve. Keep me up to date on dates!

I'd love to meet you all in person!
  • FrankMcFrankMc Member Posts: 228
    from everyone that attended the Gettysburg event on Saturday. We had a great day for the event, and Juice was in attendence with his digital camera. I am sure he will be sharing the photo's. The "Country drive" portion of the event is my daily commute route. I got a chuckle when "noclass" asked me if there would be alot of traffic on that route.. It is the country and there is never any traffic!
    Folks, time for a simple math lesson:

Patti Mickel, SoA = Class Act
    Darlene, Quality Subaru = Class Act

For those who weren't able to attend, Patti had a caterer deliver an ENORMOUS basket full of goodies to the SCOA event, even though she could not attend.

Darlene shipped beautiful "Subaru Lifestyle Sports" T-shirts for me to distribute. You should have seen the looks on those faces! I felt like Santa Claus!

About a dozen vehicles showed up, and this time folks brought their families to tour the battle fields of Gettysburg. A few of us took a scenic bike ride of the area, while the rest enjoyed a basket full of munchies courtesy of Patti.

Special thanks to Garry Grimes, SCOA, for organizing a fun filled event. Nice to finally meet you in person!

We have to do this more often! And on Sundays, too, right Loosh?

-juice
    I'm glad everyone had a good time. The weather was certainly cooperating! I'm really sorry I could not join you in person, but I thought about you all throughout the day.

I hope to see you all at the SIA meet!

Patti
    Sundays would be nice. Boss just told us to forget any more Saturdays off until after the holiday season. :'O Hope I can still go to October driving school....
    Look here for Gettysburg photos.

OK, Sunday, we got it. If nothing comes up, maybe I'll just invite a few folks over for a casual gathering.

-juice

PS For now, at least you made my web site again! Follow the same link for that.
  • guxxguxx Member Posts: 33
    ...do let me know. I live in the Boston metro area.
    It's an 8 hour drive, but what a fun road trip it would be to come for the fall folliage tour in October. The trees will be bare by then in Boston anyway.

There's also the Outback Rendesvous on 9/9, in Virginia. Any business trips down here? If so, let me know and we'll try to organize a gathering.

-juice
    10/22 is the second day of driving school at Summit Point. I think I am destined to never be able to attend an event with you guys. But I'm gonna have fun anyway, uh huh..... ;-)
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    Juice, any idea how much "Subaru" content will be at the show? Any cars? I got the impression it was mostly an outdoor sports event. As much as I'd like to tempt fate eskimo rolling a kayak, I'd rather see some cars! I can always go dunk myself here anyhow.

Craig
    I actually can't make it. I'm leaving for the Outer Banks early that morning. Oh well, guess I'll just have to drive on the beach to get over my depression!

I heard they'll have an LL Bean model there. They also have a free door prize if you bring the mailer.

Sounds like a lot of fun. I'm bumming (well, not really). Figures I'd miss two events for one trip, since the i Club meet in Bull Run Park is the following Saturday.

Looks like it's Fall Folliage for me!

-juice
  • thecatthecat Member Posts: 535
    A.J. .. what's the latest poop on the F.F. tour?

Lynn and I are planning on attending but I haven't heard (seen) anything about it lately. Any updates?

- hutch

P.S. Can I drive your car ? :)
    Check out SCOA's web site. I'm at home so I don't have the URL handy.

Garry said we're on for October, so it should be a good time. He's got a drive mapped out and all.

You can drive only if I'm properly sedated!

-juice
    A.J.

Exactly what would you consider "properly".

Would a blindfold and a valuim do ? :)
    Make that Valium ...

- hutch
    Subaru Club of America. HTML on a touch screen.. not easy. ..Mike

..Mike

Thanks Mike,

The SCOA website doesn't currently offer any specifics about the F.F. Tour. Just that it exists. I've emailed them requesting more info. When I get it, I'll post it here for all who are interested in attending.

Are you planning on attending "Miksmi". Juice says I can drive his car ... at least that's how I interpret #242 ........

-hutch
    I'm not sure valium is strong enough...

psst - Mike, read back on my posts about Edmunds Live, Hutch drives like a thief being chased by the Terminator!

;)

-juice

PS Garry saves the details until the event is closer, but they're well planned and fun.
    makin copies. Steve-o. The Stevenator. From an annoying SNL skit ("The Richmeister") with Rob Schneider that I later grew to love).

Hutch, blame juice for my digression, he mentioned your name with The Terminator (one of all-time sci-fi favs) and I just blurted it out (and my backspace key is broken).

Yes, I'll be at the SCOA Fall Foliage event, family in tow. Garry is a top notch guy and does a great job of organizing events and making everyone feel welcome. I also went to the Valley Forge event that he organized and it was a blast, especially since it snowed (and this was in April!). We had to curtail the gimmick rally because the signs were snowed over, but still had a great time.

I haven't driven the Blue Ridge Mountains in the fall in quite some time; I'm psyched.

Highly recommended. Anyone else?

..Mike

..Mike

If you didn't already have enough reason to go, Patti's likely to join us, and may bring a surprise ride along with her. VDC? ST-X concept? Turbo? Who knows, any one would be super cool.

:)

I got dibs on the first test drive!

-juice
    I got dibs on the first test drive! -juice

Hey... we're partners again! I'll take the 2nd lap unless you've scared Patti with your version of events at Edmz Live. Honest Patti I don't drive fast at all .. really .. mostly hardly at all .. kind of .. well .. you know.
    - hutch
    Thanks Mike .. kinda like that. But the truth is that A.J. sort of exagerates. I don't think I went over.. ahhhh .. 15 MPH at Edmz Live. Maybe 16 tops. :) I think I just enjoyed myself toooo much.
    -hutch
  • subaricsubaric Member Posts: 3
    I was eager to try my 2 week-old '01 Outback LTD off road, so last weekend I went to a place where there is a dirt/gravel road. I got through the first section without a scratch, but at the end there is a small 2' high lip (at a guesstimated 30 -40 deg for about 3') that I have seen many a car, including my clapped out '89 Jetta, go up with at worst a bumper rub. I approached at the same angle that I have many times before (at an offset angle, not perpendicular to the slope), but this time the front left bumper dug in! The bumper did not come off, but I was left with a badly scratched bumper and a handful of dirt that the fog lights scooped up! I don't have the Jetta anymore, but IIRC, the Outback's front bumper sticks out further. Anyways, how have others fared with their OB's off-road? Does anyone know the max approach/departure angles for this car? Should I have bought a truck instead? (nahhh) Thanks!
    well, uh, I guess it's time to fess up - - - my family is very grateful for the "oh poop" handles in our cars. I happen to really enjoy applying pressure to the gas pedal and putting cars through their paces. I also happened to have raced a few cars at a local track for stock vehicles in my youth.

So, Hutch. . . wanna race?
    Patti,

I've apparently failed in my feeble attempt to disguise my inner self .. (Mario Andretti is inside somewhere) So, You're on ! We are talking about using your car right? Cause I drive mine like a little ol' lady.

- hutch
    So Patti, I am assuming you will be at some of the Englishtown or Camden Auto-xs next season? Maybe take the VDC out and whoop some Acura butt?

I auto-x my XT6 and I've been very amazed at how well it does for a 12 year old completely stock vehicle...

We need O-sh1t handles on the drivers side though :( can you work that into the new cars?

-mike
    Hey, Mike - great idea! I can use those when I take a fast turn while I'm steering with my knees. I've always wondered where to put my hands when I do that! }~p I'll pass it on!!

And Hutch. . . yup - we can use my ride. Wouldn't want to harm your baby!
    For details, see <195</A>> (thanks, soobydoobydo!) or goto 195Subaru NewsClubs, select Events Calendar at the top, then 9 Reston VA. Here's PDF. I'll be there at 11am, starting at the kids camp, then um, maybe drifting away when my wife isn't looking.

Anyone care to join me to check out the LL Bean's H-6?

Subes aren't the primary focus, so the event won't interest you unless you want to practice/learn one of the outdoor activities (fly fishing, kayaking, backpacking, rock climbing, canoeing, mountain biking). I'm intrigued by the Leave No Trace Campfire Technique. juice is out of town; Lucien is working; Craig (c_hunter) said no. Bob, Stevenator? soobydoobydo? (hey, it was your idea in the first place ;) I haven't met all DC folks on this board; time to put more faces to names!

..Mike

..Mike