Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Crew - Events

Comments

• Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I have to buy that Forester watch first. Though I didn't see it at Costco, so I'll have to check Target. I knew I should have just bought it when I saw it!

BTW, the boss (i.e. wife) said June 11 is OK, so we're in. Me, baby, wife, and the puppies.

-juice
  • Options
    thecatthecat Member Posts: 535
    I have a little bad info for all you animal lovers who were planning on bringing Rover or Fluffy to the Rocks. I met with the Ranger yesterday afternoon and while I was there I saw a big sign "NO PETS". Sorry !!! I have seen people with dogs almost every time I've been there. I guess you do so at the risk of being ejected.

Looks like the date is set, based upon the arbitrary decision of the judges ... June 11th. We need to get a reasonably accurate head count so a place for us can be reserved. If you're planning on attending .. please let us know by June 2nd.

I'll post some directions for the "County Ride" for those coming from the South .. those above the Mason Dixon would do best following the directions from the link in the previous posting.
    - hutch
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I'll be out of town that weekend.

Bob
  • Options
    Bummer, Bob.

No dogs, so I guess it'll be me, the wife, the baby, and a friend that's staying with us. Count us four in.

I'll ask my cousin if she wants to bring her family, too. 99 Outback with 4 in the family.

My dad's moving here in July, and plans on buying a 2000 Outback Limited, but that'll be too late for this gathering. Maybe the next one.

-juice
  • Options
    barresa11barresa11 Member Posts: 277
    Ok....I'm jealous. You guys seem to have a lot of events going on near you on the Eastern seaboard. I haven't seen anything for us folks in the NW (read: BC, WA, OR, & ID). Maybe I need to do some more searching. I know there are a lot of Soobies in our neck of the woods!
    Juice: Tell your Dad that I still love my OB ltd for all the reasons you've previously listed. Sometimes I wonder what it would've been like to wait for the VDC H6 model, but then I wake up to appreciating what I have (my bank balance loves it too). The VDC doesn't really offer as much beyond what I have as I originally thought it would. With that said, I may purchase one in 4 to 5 years (this car thing is a sickness, you know) :-)
  • Options
    miksmimiksmi Member Posts: 1,246
    Hi Stephen,

I've read about a few meets in your neck of the woods on i Club. I haven't read closely, but I know there are auto-crosses, off-road rallies, and plain ol' meets. I met a few Impreza 2.5 RS guys at an auto-x in MD; nice guys. They didn't care that I a) drove up in my Civic b) didn't run in the auto-x and c) didn't know squat about the RS. They were happy to have someone there to yak about and support the Subes. Subarus are in the minority in North America and are represented as such at "open" events like auto-x.

Surf on over to i Club (the link works again), select Bulletin Board, scroll down, and select one of these forums where left coasters hang: Canada, Legacy, or North West Region.

Also, select Members from the blue menu at top and select a state or country to see how many people are in your particular area. The member list search doesn't work well but the maps do. There 4 map filters (top right in a very small font), one ea for Forester, Impreza, Legacy, and SVX.

Don't know if you have to be registered to post. juice tried registering recently but it hasn't been entered as the 3 guys running i Club have had a few probs w/the existing hardware and are moving the site to a new format.

If you want me to inquire for you, email me a message and I'll ask for you.

Spreading the gospel,

..Mike

..Mike

• Options
    Thanks Mike. I'll hit the link provided and do some searching as soon as I get more time.

Stephen
  • Options
    Dad kind of gave me a wierd stare when I asked if he needed more power. He'd probably prefer the 2.2l were it still available, so his two teenagers (he's remarried) don't get speeding tickets.

I'll wait 'til the i Club settles down in the new platform, then look further into why my account has taken weeks to set up. (boy, am I bitter or what?)

-juice
  • Options
    fandcfandc Member Posts: 51
    For those with no coast to speak of, like-minded enthusiasts can be found at <<A HREF="http://www.egroups.com/group/mnsubaru">http://www.egroups.com/group/mnsubaru>. Beware, the noisiest inhabitants are heavily into rally and rallycross.
  • Options
    juice, they just know you'd monopolize the board. Actually, I asked them to deny your request so we could keep you all to ourselves. Ok, the real reason is.. well I don't know. They're just 3 enthusiasts with not much time. Doesn't make it any less frustrating I realize. You can lurk sans an id, as you probably know.

..Mike

..Mike

• Options
    Thanks Rob, hadn't come across that one. ..Mike

..Mike

• Options
    I have been lurking, but honestly I feel more at home here (time to feel warm and fuzzy all over).

i Club is much more focused on the RS and WRX models and related mods, and tends to be either singles or DINKs (dual-income, no kids).

Seems like this Town Hall is full of SITCOMs. Huh? That's Single Income, Two Children, Oppressive Mortgage.

Closer to my reality ;)

-juice
  • Options
    Me too. Just wish this forum software was more user friendly, like i Club's. At least it's not the hideous interface on Yahoo Clubs - yech! ..Mike

..Mike

• Options
    As we all know, the word "Subaru" is not recognized by thr spell checker. But... the word "Citroen" is. Go figure.

Bob
  • Options
    I asked about that.. apparently it is impossible or very difficult at add. Oh well. Bummed you've got plans on 11 June. Next time. Mike

..Mike

• Options
    I don't like the i Club's layout, though. Entirely too many threads, impossible to keep up.

Yahoo posts are very focused and I value it purely for the contant.

-juice
  • Options
    francophilefrancophile Member Posts: 667
    That is, I believe, Citroén ;-)

-wdb
  • Options
    I though it was a double-dot on the "O"?

-juice
  • Options
    Yes, it's ¨ which is an umlaut or dieresis. See Citröen.

..Mike

..Mike

• Options
    Oops, we were all wrong. It's an umlaut on the "E".

Never mind, "Subaru" has a better ring to it anyway ;)

-juice
  • Options
    I went to all that trouble with the HTML and still screwed it up. I am not smart.

Citroën

There.

..Mike

• Options
    lucien2lucien2 Member Posts: 2,984
    The Park Web site says dogs are allowed, leashed, on the trails, but are forbidden in the picnic area, leash or no. Makes no sense to me but, at any rate, we'll leave Riley at the house.

She's an Aussie shep / Border Collie mix, BTW. Remarkably, she is a pretty docile pooch.

So, what breeds do we have out there??
  • Options
    Okay, so I can't spell in French. At least I knew which letter got the accent.

As for dogs in picnic areas, think for just a wee moment about it. Picnic = kids on the ground playing and crawling and running, perhaps people strolling around in bare feet, but generally speaking some human part touching a significant portion of the square footage at some point or another; dog = wee-wee and doo-doo on that same ground. I have no doubt that either juice's dog uses the 'loo or else juice follows the poor pup around with a shovel, nevertheless not everyone is so thoughtful. Please no flames, I'm not anti-dog. The fact that I have 3 cats has *no* influence on my thoughts - really .

I will have to let you know later whether or not I will be able to make it. If I do come it will be just me again as that is a weekend my SO works. If I don't come it will be for a reason that will probably have me posting more tales of the highway. Either way you lose ;-)

Cheers,
    WDB
  • Options
    juice's dog uses the 'loo Dave you leave me in stiches!

I was going to email everyone but hopefully you'll answer here.

11 June is a conflict for Bob and WDB so how about a different Sunday (Lucien works Sat). 18th is Father's Day. 25th is bad for me; what about the 4th? Bob? WDB? Lucien? Juice?

..Mike

..Mike

• Options
    Don't change it on my account. If 11 June is not good for me, no date will be. So Bob, it's on you ;-)

-WDB
  • Options
    You guys go ahead with your plans.

The next month (perhaps longer?) is in question for me. I have help move the contents of my (recently passed away) father-in-law's apartment in Long Island, down here. Not sure how many weekends that's going to take.

Bob
  • Options
    Bob, I'm very sorry to hear this. I can't imagine what your wife and you have been going through. I am without words. My heartfelt sympathies to your wife, her family and friends.

..Mike

..Mike

• Options
    FWIW, I'm still in.
  • Options
    Thanks Lucien. Ok, 11 June is it. Monday I'll fire up an email conversation so we can work on the details. ..Mike

..Mike

• Options
    jamespowerjamespower Member Posts: 42
    I keep thinking that we should arrange a trans-continental Subaru Crew (and maybe friends from other message boards) event for next year. How about structuring it around a trip to see Subes being built in Indiana? Is anyone into this idea? Wonder if Subaru of Canada/SoA are interested in giving us some hospitality....?

JP

PS: I've not looked at the map yet, but assume this will be at least a couple of days drive from Calgary....
  • Options
    JP, Sounds like THE EVENT to me! (But I only cast one vote so I'll check w/my better half.) I like touring manufacturing and industrial plants; it's just not something most people run into every day. I'm sure those that work there wonder what the fuss is all about. I fondly remember touring the Beechcraft (single-engined aircraft) factory with my Dad and brother when I was a kid (think mom skipped it). It'll definitely require some planning, starting w/SoA (I'm not volunteering ;)

..Mike

..Mike

• Options
    yellowbikedonyellowbikedon Member Posts: 228
    Living in Evanston, IL makes the thought of an SIA Event great! Now, if this can be arranged to take place before the end of April, 2001,count me in as I plan to relocate to Florida in April 2001.

Don
  • Options
    I'd have to pull a Mike and incorporate other events into a road trip like that in order to sell it to the boss (read: wife), but I'd still love going.

My dogs are mutts. 100%, pure-bred, mutts. Both parents were 100% mutt, too. The best breed!

Hadji is very, very well trained, but we're still working on the 'loo trick. He's part Pomeranian, part Dachsund (you know, hot-dog), and throw in some pointer and terrier for good measure. You end up with a 12 pound dog that can jump a 4 foot fence without a running start. Too bad he's too small to catch frisbees, he'd be a champ for sure. He jumps through a hula-hoop, too.

Ashley is a total priss. Big wimp. Hates stairs. Part poodle, part terrier, so that makes her a terrible poodle. She barks constantly and bites, too. Cute, though, and at only 7 pounds a total lap dog. She must have been a cat in a previous life. :b

Looking forward to June 11. I'll invite my friend Jim, though we just found out his wife is pregnant with their 3rd child. That's one each year, three year in a row! Their Outback is going to get kind of tight. Anyone try 3 child seats in back?

Now we BOTH want a Soob with 3 rows of seats.

-juice
  • Options
    I have looked at the map and it is a long way but do-able if I sell it to wife in combination with visit to relatives in Ontario.

I hear you Don, but what about the Indy 500 long weekend in May 2001? The factory visit for maybe the Friday before, with some time for a Q&A session with some SoA techs, and free test track time with the WRX, GT/OB-6, etc....(better keep the numbers reasonably low, 5 mins would not be enough).

Just some thoughts kicking around my head. By the way, if anyone has been following my work search saga, I just got hired full time. Sadly enough, you guys are the first to hear (there's only me and the dog at home right now...)

JP
  • Options
    Well then congratulations JP! We'll be your surrogate family!

Don, we have to include you, so it sounds like we've got us a serious deadline.

..Mike

..Mike

• Options
    Yeah but dogs are the most loyal companions!

Glad to hear you're getting paid, man.

-juice
  • Options
    JP,

The intrigue of an early April 2001 event is the proximity of Illinois to Indiana. May 2001 will find us Florida residents. But then, anything is possible! My wife is an attorney with Illinois clients. Perhaps I can talk her into visiting the Illinois clients during May. Now, that's an excuse!

Don
  • Options
    The only problem I have with April - and this will surely apply to other long distance people - is that this is a little early for my 'summer' holidays. This trip done in the Forester will eat up half to two thirds of our annual leave, so I can't see me being able to swing it with the 'entertainments manager' this early in the year. It may also still be snowing, but I guess that may make it more interesting. However, there are obviously other factors to consider. I could come without my Sube (the shame...), and make it a shorter flying trip.

If there is enough support to at least explore this concept, I will try and find time to write to SoA/SoC.

JP
  • Options
    Lessee...
    - a road trip to Indiana;
    - a factory tour;
    - a chance to talk turkey with factory folk;
    - a few laps at Indy.

Oh, alright, since you're twisting my arm :-)

WDB
  • Options
    I LOL (laugh out load) at you guys. Don's got it right, it must be called the "JamesPower 2001 Event II" since it was his idea. Oh this is going to be fun.

..Mike

..Mike

• Options
    Wow...this would be great. My sister lives in Indianapolis so this would be a double duty trip. I don't think that I would drive out from Seattle as it would eat up a lot of my leave time (only get 2 wks). Anyhow, the plant tour sounds like a great idea. Count me in.

Stephen
  • Options
    How far is Indy from DC? Anyone ever drive to and fro?

It'll be a tough sell, but I'd love to go.

-juice
  • Options
    tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    Juice, it takes about 10 hours. I have done it twice.
    tincup
  • Options
    That's tough with a baby. She gets fussy after 2 hours or so.

My personal best is 14 hours to Tampa, overnight, by myself. Left at 10pm after a mid-term exam and only stopped for gas.

Those were the days, man. Love those 75 mph speed limits, too, you can go 85 without blinking.

-juice
  • Options
    James has a point about timing. Kirsten is a teacher, and would be totally free by June, but April could be tough. Wither way, we'll do our damnedest to be there.

Do we have a Rocks head count yet?
  • Options
    JP,

I am "telephone" friendly with a few of the Subaru Mid-America Region people here in Illinois. I would be glad to contact the region if you feel it makes sense to plan for a 2001 Event and see what kind of a reaction we get. Just let me know!

Don
  • Options
    Don

Yes, please go ahead and float this idea for soemtime in 2001 with your contacts. That would be great. Tell them what a fine job we are doing generating extra sales and brand awareness - for free!! Refer them to Edmunds and the other internet boards (the numbers of people involved must run into 1000s and growing...)

JP
  • Options
    As for the Rocks head count, count me in for at least one Soob and probably four people. If my cousin can go (still unknown), two Soobs and eight folks.

Dad hasn't moved here yet, and he'll probably pick up his OBLtd in July.

-juice
  • Options
    Any progress with Subaru mid US on Y2K+1 event?

I've done no more, but might get around to writing to SoA/SoC in the next week or 2.

JP
  • Options
    Don's looking into it for us. He'll get back to us when there is news to report.

Looking forward to June 11. Looks like the cousin will join, so make that 2 soobs and 8 people in my group.

-juice