Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Crew - Meet The Members II

Comments

• Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Yes, this AM I could not post at all. Plus what I read didn't register, as it kept taking me back to the same stuff over and over.

I bailed and came back this PM, now it works.

-juice
  • Options
    nygregnygreg Member Posts: 1,936
    Dave. You don't happen to own a Mac, do you? 12 years for a degree...you do procrastinate!

All - thanks for the wishes on my company's pending layoff. April 10 seems to be hump day. Fingers crossed.

Greg
  • Options
    mrk610mrk610 Member Posts: 378
    Welcome to the crew Dave . Happy belated B-day pat .

Mike
  • Options
    dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    No, don't own a Mac. PC at work and home. The one at home is an antique laptop PC: Pentium 133, Windows 95, 26400 - 31200 dial up.

Best of luck on layoff day. I've been in the same shoes 3 times in 6 months. I survived the first 2 RIFs. When the 3rd one was announced, they ask for volunteers to cut their hours / pay by 20% to save as many people as possible. I was one of the volunteers so I now work 4 days / week at 20% less pay. Not what I wanted but better than no job at all. Unfortunately, the 2 people on my team that I was attempting to save got the axe.

juice: Have a beam type torque wrench, so presetting's out of the question. There goes my shot at an OCD membership.

DaveM
  • Options
    jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    Except for needing to be a contortionist to read them, you can't damage a beam type torque wrench by continuing to turn really hard after the click.

Jim
  • Options
    lucien2lucien2 Member Posts: 2,984
    nice list of former rides, btw, a couple benchmarks in there. Even a Rabbit Diesel!
  • Options
    fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    I better scout up a few more Steve's to help maintain balance. You guys may have pulled ahead of us again...

And, yes, I do wax the insides of my alloys. As my mother would say (with a slight NY Jewish inflection):
    "You should see my sons wheels - they are so clean you could eat off of them.
    Not that you would necessarily want to, but you could.
    Not that you would need to, he has plenty of dishes in that beautiful kitchen of his.
    Oh, you should see the wonderful house he has! And that Subaru he drives....."

Etc, etc, etc...

Steve
  • Options
    armac13armac13 Member Posts: 1,129
    LOL - I can hear her now!!! Thanks for a good start to the day.

Ross
  • Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
  • Options
    Join our chat tonight, Dave. See if you can keep up with Brenda's typing. ;-)

If you don't know what I mean, come tonight, you will soon understand.

-juice
  • Options
    I doubt my out of date PC with a very slow dialup connection can keep up. I'll give it a try; that is if I remember.
  • Options
    9pm. Skip the re-runs on TV and join us.

-juice
  • Options
    hammersleyhammersley Member Posts: 684
    Dave: I'm at 28.8 at best from home, and can keep up just fine. I can type faster than Brenda, but nobody (including myself) can read it!

Cheers!
    Paul
  • Options
    We're going to see Dan Bern downtown. Good music, if anyone is looking for something new; New American Language is the album I have and it's quite well done.

http://www.danbern.com/
  • Options
    It was nice chatting with everyone tonight. I definitely need to brush up on speed reading!

DaveM
  • Options
    ladywclassladywclass Member Posts: 1,713
    <passes the Mavis Beacon CD around or ... you can also take about 15 years of piano lessons .. those independent finger motion exercises work about the same way ... >
  • Options
    Great chat. The pace doubled when the valedictorian from Mavis Beacon (*cough* Brenda *cough*) showed up, but I managed to keep up. We didn't even bring up food!

Talk like Yoda, we did. That top 12 list was hysterical.

Bob - you got the info about where to park and that ferry we can take to NY on the 18th? Let's get good directions, too.

-juice
  • Options
    sorry I missed the chat last night. But the OB got the royal pampering last Sunday, now it was the Odyssey's turn. Tires, brake cleaning, suspension lube, etc. Two day road trip this weekend, and Beth wants to take the van.

Glad to have given you guys a laugh over my "clean enough to eat off of" routine! My mom is not really that bad, but it is fun to play it up.

Steve
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    << Bob - you got the info about where to park and that ferry we can take to NY on the 18th? Let's get good directions, too. >>

I know how to get to the Javits Center, and there's parking nearby. Go through the Lincoln Tunnel, hang a right, then another right and you're there. I don't know anything about a ferry.

Bob
  • Options
    Paul brought it up at the chat last night. Where were you? ;-)

Let's do whatever is quicker, though. It'll be a tight day as it is.

-juice
  • Options
    I dozed off... ;)

Bob
  • Options
    Here's the website for the ferry: http://www.nywaterway.com/

DaveM
  • Options
    hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    Has returned to the frozen north, we have a severe winter storm warning for tonight,20 to 30 centimeters of snow forcast for overnight.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    Keep warm and safe.

Have fun shoveling ;-)

DaveM
  • Options
    Shoveling is anything but fun especially this late in the year but we will have to grin and bear it.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    C'mon Pat, I expect you to convert your Legacy into a Nuclear Snow Melting Machine. We all know you're capable, just bring duct tape! :o)

Life is sweet, we got cable internet at home, it's a blazin' quick connection now. Can't believe we had dial-up for that long.

Heck, it even feels quicker than the T1 at work, perhaps due to traffic there.

-juice
  • Options
    I'd love to get a cable modem but I can't justfy spending $52.95/mo. plus taxes to surf the net. Besides, I have free unlimited dial-up (courtesy of my employer).

Happy speed surfing.

DaveM
  • Options
    hammersleyhammersley Member Posts: 684
    We just got e-mail addresses for all the kiddos thru our dial-up provider - I can't see going thru that change again just for the honor of faster service at home. We're too far geographically from the phone switching apparatus for DSL, and cable modem isn't available 'til Comcast upgrades the neighborhood. Sigh. It's actually okay - we really have so many other things happening here that surfing doesn't take up much time.

Cheers!
    Paul
  • Options
    armac13armac13 Member Posts: 1,129
    Wow, that price does seem outrageous! I currently have DSL, but it's the same as cable here. Including all taxes, it comes to $42.53 CN (that's about $29 US). I've had cable & DSL for about 5 years now, and would NEVER go back to dial-up.

Ross
  • Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    I pay $52/month with taxes for cable modem access, but I don't have cable tv - I have DirecTV instead. I think if you already have cable, adding the cable modem just adds $29/month. YMMV!

I agree, once you experience cable or dsl, you kringe to go back on dial-up! :P

-Brian
  • Options
    The $52.95 plus taxes is if you have cable. I think it's about $10 more if you don't. Cable TV is now over $40/mo. Hmm, maybe it's that Comcast monopoly?

If I had to pay for dial-up and a 2nd phone line, I would probably just go for a cable modem. I have a T1 connection at work, so I'm familiar with speed surfing.

Ross: Maybe I should just move to Canada?

DaveM
  • Options
    Dave: I had a free "ISP" with work also, but still, it's worth it. At least for us it's a business expense since the wife is self-employed.

Our cable bill is in the $40s. Broadband is another $40 I believe. We got 2 months free to try it.

But we were paying for a 2nd phone line, and we're gonna cancel that. Bills on that line ran about $70, although that includes long distance. The idea is to now let my wife chat on-line, instead of on the phone!

Hey guys, check out the Mods section, I finally got that plood installed.

I have more cup holders than you, Na-Na-Na-Naah-Na. ;-)

-juice
  • Options
    What a gawdawful day, we got about six inchs of snow but then we have had freezing rain on and off all day.

Right now as far as I am concerned the Canucks can give this place back to the natives.

For DSL broadband I pay $44.95 plus taxes per month.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    OK ... I had a momentary bout of craziness. I have decided I want a dog. I've had dogs in my life at various points because someone else would bring them home, then I'd end up taking care of them. But now - I want a dog ....
    I was looking at australian shepherds because I've had one before who was the most wonderful dog I'd ever seen. Then I found out there are miniature aussies. However, I also found out they are expensive!!!
    I had called on some last night, and the breeder had 3 week old mini puppies and a litter of standard puppies due any day. I went to see the mini puppies and they were beautiful. Most of them blue merles. And I'm sitting there thinking, I have no business even looking at these puppies because they are <coughcough700dollarscoughcough>
    Anyway, turns out the breeder's parents had a dog they had taken in from a friend that they were looking for a home for. This dog is a 2-3 year old female that is 1/2 Aussie. She looks like a red merle aussie only a little stockier and the size of a large standard aussie. She is housebroken, spayed, up to date on shots, and already has some training. I've been out getting 'dog stuff' today and I go back to pick her up tomorrow for FREE. I think she'll make a wonderful companion/watchdog. WITHOUT THE GUILT !!!!
  • Options
    Way to go, I am sure you and your new friend will have a wonderful life together.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    G'day

I vote for the free one as they are always the most interesting. We have had the pleasure of many waifs over the years and all have given great pleasure. As I type this, my RSPCA rescue dog (half kelpie, half pharoah hound) is lying over my feet, guarding me.

Having written that, she has just wandered off to check if the children are okay. She is an absolute delight and has the idea of family (more correctly pack) perfectly sorted.

The only problem is that she does not trust my mother in law and defends her family appropriately.

Getting a mature dog means that you are getting someone with a well developed personality. It's more like getting used to a boarder than raising your kids. We have had to get used to Sirius's habit of digging deep holes. Not bored, but just one of those things a dog has to do!

Hope the dog is as nice as it sounds.

Cheers

Graham
  • Options
    We got a golden retriever (Annie) 6 1/2 years ago, because my daughter wanted a dog. I hadn't had a dog since I was a preschooler, 50-some years ago, so this was a "new" thing for us. The only question I ask myself is: Why did I (we) wait so long? I'm sure you'll have many happy days to come with the pooch.

Bob
  • Options
    Congratulations on your new furry four-legged child. Although my parents always had dogs (along with cats, a pony, rabbits, guinea pigs and chickens), I'm a cat person myself as I much appreciate the self maintaining feature.

Maybe she'll slow down your typing ;-)

Oops, I looked up the price and cable internet service is $42.95, not $52.95.

DaveM
  • Options
    Someone over at NASIOC was asking about skid plates for a '97 Outback. I replied that I had the OEM front & rear that I took off my '96 Outback. Another guy replied that he was interested in buying them. It turns out that his name is Dave, he has 2 Subaru's ('97 GT sedan & '02 Outback wagon), he works 3 miles from me and lives 2 miles from me. What a small world.

DaveM
  • Options
    his name: Dave, of course.

Bob
  • Options
    Sounds like a great dog. I agree with Graham about mixed breeds, although, like you, we began our hunt for a pure bred Border collie. We found Riley 7 years ago as a shivering, frightened pup no more than 4 weeks old at the pound in TX, huddling with her litter-mates. She's a Border Collie/German Shepard mix, and a steadfast member of the family. She's well-trained, intelligent, quiet, sensitive, and loving. Not a fan of small children though, at least until they have the language skills and temprament to command her. NEway, she too is lying her at my feet, keeping an eye on the back door, lol. ok, now she wants some of my breakfast....

ok I'll post a couple pics in the gallery for ya.
  • Options
    I picked her up today after a brief meeting yesterday. Took Mark with me (he's almost 13). She seems glad to know she has 'a boy', and liked the short ride in the car to get here. She had to sniff all over the house to find out what's here, then within about 15 minutes found the toys (a ball, a squeaky bone, and a rope tug bone) and was ready to play. She likes to bring the toy, have it thrown down the basement stairs, and run down to get it and back up to do it again. I was a little worried about exercise on bad weather days. Guess we've got a gym right here!
    She goes out with me on the leash, takes a walk all around the yard, and comes full circle back to the door we went out of.
    I know we'll all have some 'getting used to each other', but all in all she seems like a great dog!
    I'll take some pics later with the digital and see if I can get them in a place where you can see her.
    Brenda
  • Options
    locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    Brenda,

Congrats and it sounds like she's settling in nicely! What's her name? (or did I miss that?)

-Colin
  • Options
    name is Skyler ...
    She seems used to it, so why change it?
    I think you can see her pic here ...
    http://briefcase.yahoo.com/teachers__pet2
    I should have it set so you guys can see the 2 pics ..
  • Options
    grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    G'day

Brenda, that looks like about a million watts of energy. Doesn't she look a lively girl? A real personality dog.

Hope you enjoy each other. You're right though that she looks like the sort who needs a boy for exercise. Explain to him about skateboards, leashes (well a bit of rope wil do) and sheepdogs (if you need more information, most former boys here will fill in the details!)

Cheers

Graham
  • Options
    bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    We're supposed to get 4-8 inches today. Farther North and West is supposed to get 12.

A few weeks ago I switched to summer tires and Ed asked if it was a bit too early. I said nah, winter's over! :-) I was away for the weekend and got in late last night, so I spent 40 minutes changing my wheels back this morning. I need some *real* tools. :-)

-Dennis
  • Options
    Adopt! There's less chance of in-breeding or bad temperment, and they're the most grateful when adopted.

she does not trust my mother in law

See how smart they are? LOL (kidding!)

Skyler's a beaut, looks kinda like a wolf! "K" in the name, even better, don't change it.

It's amazing, the other day I met a neighbor with a Subie, an older Legacy, and his name was *NOT* Dave! Wow! :o)

-juice
  • Options
    The bad thing about a dog is that they always insist on going outside sometime between 9-10pm (eastern time) on Thursdays (chat time)!! Congrats on your new friend.

Turned 46 yesterday. Spent the weekend on Long Island visiting relatives. Took Emily to the Ocean (Jones Beach) yesterday. Dodged the waves and collected shells. Excellent Daddy/Daughter time.

Steve
  • Options
    Happy Birthday hope it was a good one.

Brenda looks like you have friend for life, appears to have settled in right comfortable.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    Steve- Belated Happy Birthday to you :D
    Wishes do come true :)

Brenda-
    Congratulations on your addition to the family.
    She sought of reminds me of Marty Feldman.

-Dave