Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew - Meet The Members II

Comments

• rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    It was a great commercial, at least the one I saw. You really felt like what it's like to drive the car—which is exactly the point it's trying to convey.

The press release stated, however, that these commercials are only going to be run on cable. Why aren't they going to be shown on ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX?

Bob
  • miksmimiksmi Member Posts: 1,246
    juice, thanks for taking the time to re-post the photos. I know it was a lot of work. Thanks again.

..Mike

..Mike

• barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    Bob: I don't have cable TV (long story, personal protest against TCI) and I saw the commercial w/the silver WRX on CBS, Monday night.

Stephen
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    the press release appears somewhat obscure. Here's the quote from the PR. I guess the key word in that sentence is "primarily."

Bob

• subaru_teamsubaru_team Member Posts: 1,676
    Hi All! FYI - They are referring to the "corporate" paid stations. Our Regions/Distributors and dealers purchase the commercials to run on local networks, including the major guys out there. So, you'll see them out there!

Thanks,

Patti
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    I just saw the two WRX commericals. Blew me away! I got goose bumps watching them. Excellent camera shots and audio. Loved the shots of the boost gauge (is that offered in the US?).

Shoot, now I want one too!

Ken
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I saw one ad on NBC - sweet! Made me want to go drive one. Very effective marketing.

Interestingly, Audi just came out with a new series of ads that is very, very similar. Have you seen the "form" that then becomes "performance"? Also very nice ads.

-juice
  • francophilefrancophile Member Posts: 667
    I've only seen one: a blue WRX sedan rippin' across a windy dirt road. 30 seconds. Nice, but it doesn't give me any idea what it's like behind the wheel. I suspect there must be other ads besides that one.

Oh, and I definitely saw it on broadcast commercial TV (CBS/NBC/ABC/Fox) because that's all I get out here in the hinterland.

Cheers,
    -wdb
  • dannykadannyka Member Posts: 115
    I saw two different WRX commercials last night. What's interesting was that one was on the local UPN station during a Star Trek Voyager rerun. The other was the local WB station showing the blue WRX commercial during a Star Trek:TNG episode. What are they (SOA) trying to say here? Maybe something like, anyone into Warp speeds would enjoy the WRX?

-Dan
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    Well, I haven't seen any. Does that mean I need to watch more TV? :-)

Dennis
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Spent two weeks near Minneapolis recently and drove an 01 Outback rental. By the way, Outbacks are very numerous in that neck of the woods and are also popular to rent. I was quite impressed with the Outback. It did seem a little quieter than my Forester (wind noise mostly) and felt a little more solid. I would certainly recommend the Outback to anyone who needs to haul 3 or more adults due to the extra rear seat room. Other than that however, I'm still happy with my Forester. Oh, I also avg 25.5 mpg in the 4AT Outback compared to 27.5 in my 5MT Forester (hwy driving for both).

-Frank P.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I'm considering selling my XT6 to start saving for an SVX. The car is in great mechanical shape, recently converted to non-air-suspension, 1 set of Firehawk GTA All-weather tires on rims, 1 set of brand new (under 200 miles) Yokohama AVS Intermediates on rims, 74K miles, Brand new Timing Belt, Water pump, rear springs, rear shocks (monroe gas-matic), front RS Springs and Struts with 8K miles on em. Just replaced the windshield as well.Alignment just done with tires.

A/C works.
    Hella E-code Headlights 80/100w.
    100w Phillips fogs.
    Automatic Tranny.
    AWD.
    No visible rust.
    Folding rear seat.
    2.7l H6 engine.
    Needs a muffler.

If anyone is interested, e-mail me an offer. I'm looking for around $3K for it.

-mike
    Dennis, I'm in the same camp as you.

Frank, good to hear from you. Minneapolis, eh?

Patti, someone in marketing might wish to submit the WRX ads to www.adcritic.com so we can download them, or put them on SoA's site. Better yet, do both! adcritic.com is a highly-trafficked site. Audi, Mercedez-Benz, and VW have ads there, why not Subaru?

Here are some humorous and auto ads I like:

88 Dodge Aires K Car spoof BOOYA! Groove to the Chemical Brothers.
    John West - Bear Fight ad
    President Clinton - Final Days President Clinton did this spot as a part of the White House Correspondents Dinner earlier in 2000. Yes, it really is William Clinton, the former US President.
    Mercedez-Benz - Badness
    Mercedez-Benz - Pride Gary Glitter hey hey!
    Audi - Unfair Advantage I am curious to see how the WRX ad compares to Audi's mention of the Super Touring series.

Forgive my forgetfulness but who here works in advertising or PR? (I recall Alan/aakerson was in PR until he retired this year.) I'm curious to hear comments on the WRX commercials from those who work in the ad industry.

..Mike

..Mike

• kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    I think one cool subtle nuance of the ads is that Subaru is marketing the WRX with "Subaru AWD" and not just AWD. Good move given that AWD drivetrains are becoming more popular. Interestingly, SOJ markets their vehicles with "Subaru 4WD".

Ken
    Mike,
    If you want to download them, they're all over the i-club in the WRX Non-Technical forum. A computer screen isn't the same as a TV screen though (unless your TV screen is your monitor). :-)
    Dennis
    Actually, it might be easier to find the ads here:

http://www.subaru.net/

Dennis

• locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    heh. "rally-bread" is what the team eats for lunch, or maybe what the driver earns. rally-bred would be a car that is borne from a desire to rally and win.

:-D

-Colin
    Rally-bread. LOL!
    C'mon Colon, can't you see his palms were sweaty? :-)

Dennis
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Oh my gosh!!!! Mister dictionary himself making a mistake that simple? It was either intentional or a hacker has assumed Mike's identity!

-Frank P.
  • soon2bsubeesoon2bsubee Member Posts: 137
    His mind must have been full of Cup-Holder dreams !!!!!!!!!
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    is on now! (6-7pm Pacific/9-10 pm Eastern). Hope to see you there!
    http://www.edmunds.com/chat/subaruchat.html

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
  • nygregnygreg Member Posts: 1,936
    I'm new to this room (first post), but have been watching it for a few months now. I would like to thank all of you for being a great source of info as I am hoping to be a new OB owner soon (month or so). Winestone. It is great to see the kind of dialogue that goes on here. Hopefully, I will be able to contribute a little - but not as much as most of you since I will be a Subie owner for the first time. My story? Owned Fords and Toyotas (love my Toyotas - a Sienna and a Camry). It's time to replace the Camry and when my wife and I realized it was time to shop around, we looked at each other and both said ......Outback! Funny, never discussed it before. By the way, drove the WRX 5spd....Wow - if only I didn't have children. Maybe the Sienna for the kids, Outback for the wife (auto), and WRX 5spd for me. :)

Anyway, sorry to ramble,
    -Greg
    LOL that's what I get for not proofing. I may not be able to re-write history but I can re-arrange it.

Meet the turbocharged rally-bred Subaru WRX. That's the beauty of all Subaru all wheel drive.

"turbocharged rally-bred Subaru WRX" -- I love that tag!

My palms are sweating, my mouth watering.

hehe I'm still chuckling over that buffoonery.

..Mike

edit: hehe, I'm kinda disappointed not to see any cupholder shots in those WRX ads.

Dennis> C'mon Colon,

Dennis wash your mouth out with soap!

..Mike

Sounds like you ordered. Waiting is the hardest part. Glad you joined us. Feel free to ask questions.

..Mike

..Mike

• pattim3pattim3 Member Posts: 533
    Just so you know, we (SOA) really are interested in customer experiences so I share what I get here throughout out organization. Once you buy, let us know if we can help in any way (or if you need help with your purchase experience.

You'll find the folks here to be the "best on the net". They are honest and fun.

Thanks!

Patti
  • thecatthecat Member Posts: 535
    I forget who it was that had a VW friend along with them last night. But, I checked some data this morning and the Golf V6 weighs about the same as the WRX (maybe more)and has 174hp vs 227hp. I don't think this is a contest. Get your head out of your tailpipe man!
    - hutch
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    I too have a Winestone OB. Here's a pic of it: http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1521196&a=11881816&p=42574351&res=low

As you can see, I have the hood deflector and rear spoiler installed. So, if you were thinking of those items on your new ride, that's what they look like.

Lucky you - able to drive a WRX! My dealer only had one - and it was sold!

-Brian
    Greg - welcome to the club!

Mike - I was too busy laughing about rally-bread I made an @$$ of mySELF. Oops, sorry Colin.
    Ok, they need to give us an unlimited amount of time to edit posts.

Dennis
  • amishraamishra Member Posts: 367
    Update on my selling the OB:

It's been sold. I honestly could not believe the number of inquiries I had (16), and I got offers from 10 of them. Sold it 2 days ago for the ASKING price. (That's right, didn't even have to drop it $100).

All I can say, is wow, do Subaru's ever hold their value well.

I have the OB till the end of next week (March 30) mostly because I need sometime to say goodbye to it.

-- ash
    Mike, Patti, Dennis, Brain: Thank you!

Mike - didn't order. I figured I will be able to get one off the lot or within a few days. Subies are real popular here in the Northeast and my shopping tells me I can get what I want. Just going through some remorse with dumping my Camry - 180,000 miles on it and running great.

Brian - Nice car! I wasn't thinking about the hood deflector, but it looks nice on your car. Maybe I should consider it. As far as the WRX - drove into the dealer to look at the OBs again (and the new RAV4, sorry) and there was a Blue WRX 5 spd with the keys in the door! When asked if I wanted to "take it for a spin" (aka VDC commercial) my collegue and I just smiled......and fought over who drives first.

Patti - I will try to give you an honest and fair assessment.

Thanks again,
    -Greg
  • armac13armac13 Member Posts: 1,129
    I'm glad that your parting memories of your OB are more positive then your feelings of a few months ago. Hopefully when you return to the Great White North there will be another Soobie in your future. Congrats on the price, but then you knew they are great cars with super resale didn't you? :-)

Ross
    I have the OB till the end of next week (March 30) mostly because I need sometime to say goodbye to it.

Hehe. Glad you were paid a fair price. I've enjoyed your posts on the board. Please check in from time to time from the UK.

..Mike

..Mike

Patti, which companies and organizations are eligible for the Subaru VIP program? So far, besides vendors, suppliers and employees, I have also heard that the AARP and the Intl Mountain Bike Assoc. are also in the program...can you confirm this? Is there a place that lists all the organizations?
  • lucien2lucien2 Member Posts: 2,984
    You know, I am 31 today, and I didn't remember until 9:00 this morning. A sure sign that I am leaving youth behind. NOOO!!!! Gimme a WRX NOW!! Instead of cake, I'll celebrate with a piping hot slice of rally bread.

NEway, there is a guy I know who is a BMW 2002 nut. He has made me an interesting offer. If I go to NC with him for 4 days to retrieve 4 2002's from a guy down there, he will sell me one of them for like $1K, to be paid off over the course of a year, and also help put it together and on the road..... could be kewl, but.... do I have the time? Dunno. I just got comfy walking away from all things BMW and renewed my vows to a Scooby way of life!
    Have a very happy 31st birthday...go out to a nice dinner, and have a blast.....
  • armac13armac13 Member Posts: 1,129
    You're just getting broken in. You should be able to exceed 4K rpm any day now. Enjoy the rally bread and happy birthday!

Ross
    If you want a good deal in NYC, call Staten Island Subaru/Isuzu, ask for Mark or Ira 718-979-9595 tell em I sent you and they'll give you an excellent no BS deal (ie: price includes everything except tax and tags)

-mike
  • locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    Loosh, if you want to start learning about getting really dirty working on cars, then you should absolutely take him up on the offer.

There are 2 reasons why you shouldn't though:
    1) time. I spend a lot of time on weekends in the garage or driving. I haven't allowed it to creep on my weekday evenings yet, but it could happen if I had a deadline to meet.
    2) money. fixing, modifying and driving cars (street, drag, autocross, track) is not cheap. it's cheaper if you do the labor yourself whenever possible, but it's still expensive and that labor goes back to #1 above.

-Colin
  • bg18947bg18947 Member Posts: 184
    Did some of you folks with 2000 Subies with an Automatic Transmission get the recall notice yet? I just got mine yesterday and I'm scheduled to have it replaced next Tuesday.
  • thecatthecat Member Posts: 535
    Crip. I knew someone that was 31 once. No .. wait he was just 30. Man 31 that's like .. well dead!
    The first thing to go is your libido and then your memory. Shame it's not the otherway around then you wouldn't remember what your missing.

Well, welcome to the polident crowd.

Ah man .. your just a puppy!
    - hutch
  • natescapenatescape Member Posts: 176
    Thanks thecat, it was me who had a co-worker who's a VW fan. I showed him the videos (at http://www.subaru.net) and he kept harping on the looks and saying "But it's a Sooobaruuuuu, and it looks like a Neon". What a weenie.
    When you grow up and get as old as me, you'll really learn to ignore birthday's! Enjoy them while you're young!

Wishing you the Sube of your dreams %~}

Patti
    Happy Birthday Loosh !!!
    Dennis
    Thank you for the tip. I live about 60 miles north of the city, so Staten Island is a little far. There are about 6 dealerships within 30 miles of me, but if I get stuck I will give them a try.

Lucien - Happy B'day. I was 31 once. I'm trying to see if I can get myself in better shape now than I was then. It's going well. Now if I can only remember where I put my d@$# car!

-Greg
  • lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    I e-mailed my birthday greetings to you offline.

Seriously, the aught-two was IMHO the last great, unpretentious four-wheeled BMW. Look at it this way: potentially adventurous road trip to NC, a generous offer of payment terms and mechanical assistance, and a car that you should be able to unload pretty easily if you tire of it (2002s tend to stay in steady demand in my experience - at least more so than Studebaker Larks). Very few people make money in the old car hobby - it's best to choose something you really like.

I agree with Colin's points, though. If you're not itching to get it on the road you can take your time, save your pennies and learn to do a lot of the work yourself. Of course the current condition of the car is a factor. There are a lot of 2002 enthusiasts out there who can give you a fair estimate of costs and parts availability; do a little homework and do the math before making your final decision.

There are upsides to getting dirty working on cars. Sometimes I find time spent in the garage is good therapy - even with the skinned knuckles and swearing. Beats lying on someone's couch for 50 minutes. My Studebaker is no performance car - it was literally a grandma car - but it never fails to get the stares and questions. I look at it as my way of preserving a little bit of American industrial history.

Ed

PS: WRX wagon would make a fun parts hauler.
    Since the list of VIP approved company's, vendors and associations is always changing, it's probably a good idea to call 1-800-VIP0933. Some of the folks that we partner with that work with the VIP group have some limitations, but the folks at the VIP number have all of that information.

Have a great weekend!

Patti
    Yup, the notices are in the mail. It will be a staged mailing to allow got parts to be in plentiful supplies at dealers. Should help with some of those blasted MIL situations (or CEL, check engine light, whatever you prefer).

I'm glad they got a resolution fairly quickly. Most are no problem, but better safe than sorry further down the road.

Patti
    The new WRX headlights may be ugly but they sure are functional. I really liked em on my test drive.

-mike
  • hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    If it is a 2002Tii go for it they are worth money, if it is a regular 2002 they are not worth very much, and by the way happy birthday.

Ash I am glad you got your asking price I knew you would, I looked for months for a used outback and the asking prices were scary, enjoy your time in England and check in from time to time.
    Cheers Pat.