Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Hyundai Veracruz Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• hoo320hoo320 Posts: 46
    Glad to find out that I am not the only victim.
    My car has exactly the same problem. and I do not think it only happens when it is cold. It happened even after a 300 miles road trip. When engine is cold, the rumble is just more prominent.

I do think this is a serious problem. Mazda CX-9 and lexus es350 are using the same transmission and nobody even heard situation like this. Hyundai did not do a good job coupling the transmission with the engine. They have to fix it. We paid more than 30K for this car.

Good luck.
  • Well, all I can say is my wife and I tested 11 different makes of similar size SUVs and compared all with respect to available options and price. We picked the Veracruz because of the huge bang for the buck! The only vehicle even close was maybe the Nisson or the Lexus R model and it was about $15,000 more... equipped like our Hyundai! We love ours and if you are having an issue....take it back for repair, I mean you are covered for 10 years for petes sake! >LOL. Best warranty also I might add.
    Ken
  • mjb56mjb56 Posts: 170
    I've got 35K mi on mine and no leaks drips or problems. 07 GLS AWD.
  • acdiiacdii Posts: 753
    The engine management and gearing to get good economy. Basically it feels like the engine is lugging, but it is not, it is on the edge of lugging though. The gearing on the VC is high so that it can meet CARB, EPA, etc. If you have noticed, cars made in the 70's and 80's would be around 2500-3000 RPM's while doing 55, but if you look at the RPM's on the VC while doing 55, they are between 1300-1600. If you drop to 5th when it rumbles, you will notice it is much smoother and quieter, but the RPM's are also above 2000, and fuel economy will drop. What I think they did was made it most fuel efficient at 65 MPH, since that is where everything runs smoothly on mine, and the RPM's are around 1800, which is the perfect spot for best MPG.

The one thing I hope they do fix though are the shift points, they are too quick and annoying, especially the delay to downshift after making a turn too slow and it upshifts to 3rd from 1st. That is a programming problem that I hope they address soon, but the rumble will not be something they can fix with a reflash since it is a mechanical problem with the gearing. When the rumble bugs me, I just knock the shifter to the right and tap it down a gear, problem solved.

OTOH, what I find truly amazing is when I ask for some giddyup and go. Stomp that pedal and this beast can move, shifts are perfectly timed and smooth, and can get this beast up to 85 in no time flat! That makes having the rumble worth it! :) As far as ride goes, very nice compared to others I drove, the rear clunk is annoying but the radio can easily drown it out, and the radio is probably one of the best factory units I have ever had in a car, it thumps, it rocks, it sounds great, and it also filters out AM static and line noise far better than any radio I have ever heard. My other car is a 2009 Camry Hybrid, and even though that radio can put out good sound, great bass etc, AM gets drowned out from line noise, and I listen to AM during my hour long morning drive, and having good clean AM is great.

My Overall experience with the VC is great, 9200 miles of trouble free driving, other than two seat belt clips getting busted by a careless teenager, i have had no quality issues with it whatsoever, and coming up soon I will have had it a year. I got it in February last year, drove it a few months, then when gas shot up to over $3 a gallon we got the TCH in April, and parked the VC in the garage, only because it wasn't practical as a daily driver, and we put 17000 on the TCH so far, that's 17000 that isn't on the VC, and I plan to keep the VC for a long time, and when I do get to drive it, I get to enjoy it.
    Static Electricity will cause that. I have seen it on other cars too, darker cars will show up more. Give it a clay bar cleaning, and a good coat of wax and it should go away. Its just cosmetic and doesn't affect its performance in any way.
  • could it be transmission problem? Or early signs of transmission problem. I have a Santa Fe and before the transmission failed, I was noticing lack of responsiveness from it when driving. Please keep us updated with this issue. Thanks.
  • Is it AWD and do you have the AWD Lock button depressed? :)
  • I have been experiencing the same problem and the dealer also says nothing is wrong. I have noticed that it will shift into 4th at around 30mph and that is when the jerking sensation begins, but only if trying to cruise at a steady 32-40mph. What I do now, when I begin to feel the jerking, is switch it to manual mode downshift to 3rd until the vehicle reaches about 43mph then switch back to auto mode. I do not think there is a problem with the transmission per say other than the programming which upshifts too quickly causing the engine to lug. I believe it is the engine lugging we are feeling.
    The difference between your VC and mine is that yours only feels lugging. Mine feels rumbling.
    Deep bass tone, vibration ~1500 RPM, can hear the engine? Thats what mine is like when its in too high a gear. Does it go away if you shift down a gear?
    Thanks.

Yes, it does go away when I manually shift it down or step heavily on the gas.
    We are probably talking the same thing, just thinking about it in a different way then. It was the first thing I noticed as weird after driving it for a while and thought something was wrong, until I saw how low the RPMS were and said, oh, must be the gearing. They can fix this if they really wanted to, by lengthening the shift points, and keeping it out of 6th until after it hits 45 MPH, but I'll bet it would mess with the EPA ratings.
    This just sucks for a car cost more than 30k. Big time.
    At least it isn't a CX9, I heard it has a low consumer rating and is a more expensive vehicle, and frankly I found it to be very uncomfortable.
  • Hyundai has a problem with the fuel filter/fuel pump located inside the fuel tank. Mine is in the shop to be replaced today. Had no problems with the vehicle until we took it in for a fuel filter recall, have had nothing but problems since. I insisted today that they replace it again as mine was replaced with a faulty unit, would have been better off to ignore the recall. Ask your dealer about the recall, this is a known problem that can be corrected.
    Hopefully Hyundai will come up with some new programming for the shift points. This is one of my pet peeves on the VC. My other one are the wipers, first they are proprietary blades, you just cant go the autozone and get new ones, the second are the auto wipers, there should be a way to switch between auto mode and intermittent. I found that driving in light snow, the wipers seldom wipe, the sensor gets ice on it, and then the windshield ices over. The only way around is to run them all the time, then they skip and drag.
  • My Pop's friend had this same trouble with his santa fe and it ended up being the throttle control. It's a computer chip and it ended up malfunctioning. He took it to the dealer and they diagnosed and replaced it in 45 minutes.
  • ilitilit Posts: 71
    Has any body replaced the fuel air filter in Veracruz? This is not the air filter, nor the fuel filter. It's an air filter "in-line with the fuel line" located near the carbon canister. Any body know what that's for?

Thank you!
  • This could be a sign of a bad battery or a bad alternator. Take the car to Sears Car Care, or a good auto parts store and ask them to check the battery. Checking the alternator maybe more tedious and may cost you. Maybe you can ask the Hyundai dealership to verify the amps that the alternator is putting out.
    I have had my Veracruz for over a year and so far zero problems, absolutely love it.
  • juncardrjuncardr Posts: 2
    Take your Veracruz to your dealer and ask them to check the ETC Throttle Body :confuse: . Veracruz doesn't have any transmission problem (as far as I know). I think your Veracruz has TPS :confuse: (throttle position sensor) problem. TPS is part of ETC throttle body. Ask them what they can do for you regarding this ETC. Tell them to Reflash or Reprogram :confuse: the ECU if ever they will replace the ETC throttle body. Have a nice day!

Reflash or Reprogram - means updating the ECU
    ECU or ECM - means Engine Control Unit ( the computer of your car's engine)
  • You can get Veracruz wipers on Amazon.
  • juncardrjuncardr Posts: 2
    I think what you are talking about is the evap vent valve filter.. In the Evap system the fuel vapor from the tank is being purge to the intake manifold. The fuel vapor being purge to the intake manifold is being mixed with fresh air through the evap vent valve. I'm just curious why you are asking about this filter.
    I had the same thing, they scanned the computer and told me that is the way the car is. There was nothing they could do. It is the lock up or the toque converter.
    Hyundai Sucks Big Time! I am never buying any Hyundai no more.
  • steverstever Posts: 52,462
    Wish you had gotten the Outback eh?
  • I have noticed the engine lugging at slow speeds, not bad but noticeable. I have a new problem. the "sport" shifter is stuck in 1st gear. I have an appointment at the dealer to check it out but it would be helpful if any one could share a similar experience.

John
  • ilitilit Posts: 71
    It's called "fuel air filter" and needs to be replaced at 30K miles per the Maintenance Schedule 1 in the User's Manual.
    I have ordered the filter and will replace it this weekend. I think I know where it is.
  • p885p885 Posts: 5
    So what are you doing about it. ???
    Outback eh? Something tells me Hyundai will be around much longer than Saturn, especially after today's news regarding how bad GM is right now, and 2 hairs away from bankruptcy.