Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Dakota - Quad Cab

Comments

• engine16cengine16c Member Posts: 18
    For the quader asking about manual trans. I have it behind my 4.7L v8. I have no regretts at all. I don't tow anything so i don't know how it is for that. As I've said before, I had an 88 Trans Am with a 5-sp and I'd rather drive this QC.
  • bookittybookitty Member Posts: 1,303
    Gator, I love my Dakota 2000 Quad Cab. I find that
    four full front hinged door provide easier access and regress than do those on extended cab models. If the limited size of the bed suits your needs, then the issue of reliability is as good or better
    than any other man made product. The dealer network situation is as good as your local dealer(s) as in any other product. I really can't answer
    as to the interior dimensions without comparing the two specifications. There has been talk of an increase in size in the front of the cabin due to the pushing forward of the dash. Whether this is actual or perceived, and is useful or cosmetic remains to be seen.

NB, the Dakota Quad Cab will easily tow your "toys" if configured properly. A bass boat of
    that size may not be of the same weight as boats used for ocean/bay recreation such as I am familiar with here on the Jersey Shore area. However, with a choice of three engines, and two axle ratios, I am reasonably certain that your requirements can be met and fulfilled. If you can provide the actual combined weight of your boat and trailer, the axle ratio and format (2X2 or 4X4) one or more of the people in the club or on the forum can advise you. I occasionally tow a 5X8 heavy duty (large automotive sized wheels) utility type trailer and must continually look into the rear view mirrors to confirm that it is still there behind me (4.7 V8, 5 speed, 4X4, 3.55 gearing).

Bookitty
  • qc2001qc2001 Member Posts: 30
    i called the 1-800 today and they said that i am still at I status. it has been that way for a week and a half.

boo, should i get on the dealers butt and see what he can accomplish?

how long could it take to get through quality control? and if it has taken this long for quality control i may need to do my own complete and i mean complete.

starting to get discouraged, but at least it has been built.
    Evan
  • ferousferous Member Posts: 226
    I agree with Clyde. I would rather drive my 4.7 5spd than my 5.0 5 spd Mustang for everyday driving. The Mustang was a convertible, so the Quad can't top that... or maybe it's because it "tops" that. OK no more jokes.
  • slr9589slr9589 Member Posts: 121
    Got 7800 miles on 4.8/5speed,2 wd and can say that trip mileage with 3 passengers,bed full,and 72 mph did average about 19.8 mpg's.....
    the only gripe with the tranny has been the shifter feels stickey on going to 3rd from second.Otherwise i love this machine...wife does too!!!!!!
  • knkresortknkresort Member Posts: 79
    I have about 7000 miles on my 00 Quad with 4.7L/ 2wd/ 3.55 rear end. Drives great. My wife and I had a Saab Turbo and this is a nice replacement. The clutch is stiffer (harder to push with your foot) than other vehicles I have driven/owned, but I am so used to it now, I didn't really think about it until posting this message. The gears mesh well and my biggest problem is not getting the nickname "Speedracer" by my son.

KnK
  • victxvictx Member Posts: 108
    This is where the Quads are built right?
  • steve234steve234 Member Posts: 460
    Dodge City is the plant at Warren, MI. BTW, I finally got results from BNSF and my truck arrived 2 hrs and fifteen minutes ago in OKC. I feel a virus coming on, I may need to take the afternoon off and take a drive to clear my head.
    Can you tell me how to track my Quad, I've got a VIN, but no rail car #. I just got off the phone with DC and they couldn't confirm a ship date, but the truck was scheduled to be shipped 7-19. I called earlier today and the rep said the truck had been scheduled to be shipped yesterday (7-27). I guess some reps seem to know more than others :). Please post the info, or email them to me (get may email from my profile).
  • socaldudesocaldude Member Posts: 14
    I currently have a 99 Camaro SS with 6 speed and
    have always preferred shifting for myself. The
    problem was when I bought a 98 Chevy S10 4 cyl w/
    5speed, it was a nasty-shifting beast (slow as
    hell to boot ;). I only had it for 4 months before
    I got sick of it and dumped it.

If the Dakota has similar shifting capabilities,
    even though with a lot more power, I was thinking
    of getting the automatic.

Now that I've heard lots of positive comments, I
    guess I need to get my butt down to the dealer
    and try out a stick.

Thanks again for the comments.
  • gbilhimergbilhimer Member Posts: 53
    I just got back from vacation to southwest Colorado. I hooked up the Quad to my 6x10 enclosed trailer with three dirtbikes inside and two riding buddies. Total trailer weight is about 3000lbs. if my calculations are correct. My Quad is 2wd 4.7 auto with hd service group and tow pkg. 3.55 lsd. I locked out the O/D and the rpms were about 3100 at 70 mph. It towed great!
    The cruise was on almost all the way across Kansas
    and the tranny only kicked down on the biggest of hills. Going over Monarch Pass (elev. 11,300) and a seven mile pull to the top I maintained 45 mph and the fan kicked on and immediately brought the tempature down to 190. I am thrilled and my buddies were impressed with the truck overall.
    The only bad spot was the gas mileage which averaged about 12 mpg. I know the trailer is probably like pulling a barn door though.the entire trip was approximately 1750 miles.
  • ford_biiford_bii Member Posts: 120
    I was in Cincinatti this week and I stopped by a dealer there because I saw a very odd truck... It was an Amber Fire Quad Cab SPORT. That's right, SPORT. It had the painted bumpers and sport badging. I looked at the sticker and it was a 2000 model. There was no sales people (it was a Sunday) so I never got the word on how this truck managed to come through in this color. I was under the impression that the Sport was not available in this color. Any comments/answers?? It was definately a Sport, don't even question me...
  • ford_biiford_bii Member Posts: 120
    I was in Cincinatti this week and I stopped by a dealer there because I saw a very odd truck... It was an Amber Fire Quad Cab SPORT. That's right, SPORT. It had the painted bumpers and sport badging. I looked at the sticker and it was a 2000 model. There was no sales people (it was a Sunday) so I never got the word on how this truck managed to come through in this color. I was under the impression that the Sport was not available in this color. Any comments/answers?? It was definately a Sport, don't even question me...
  • samg42samg42 Member Posts: 10
    To trace a vehicle shipped by Burlington, go to www.bnsf.com/cws/tracing/index.html You will need the last eight digits of your VIN. I have been tracking it for a week before I finally got a readout, but once it gets on the rails, it seems to move quickly. Mine arrived yesterday and is already at Out Gate. The final step is Unloaded which I am hoping is today. Good Luck
    I keep forgetting to mention when I am not on the computer that I use as steve234
  • chachingmanchachingman Member Posts: 17
    Well yesterday was 9 days since DC told me my QC had been shipped. The Missus called again to check the status, and got a rude surprise. The agent first said that "yes, the truck had shipped on the 19th", and then he said "no, wait, it's in a warehouse out here". He then said that he had to get a message over to traffic (and they never call back)AND he could probably tell us something in 3-4 days!! I guess I'll call on Monday and try to get some more info. This wasn't supposed to be this difficult. 93 days since the original order.
  • doctor_gdoctor_g Member Posts: 1
    I own an Amber Fire 2000 Dakota Sport (since Feb.). It's not a Quad. Dodge did not list the Amber Fire color in their brochures. However, they had an Amber Fire Quad Cab Sport on the lot, and it was from this "sighting" that I made my color choice when I ordered it.
  • wampuswampus Member Posts: 11
    I have a 2001 quad cab ordered and suppose to be getting it next week so the dealer says. I have not seen any price on them and was wondering if anyone has?
  • spike50spike50 Member Posts: 481
    I too have the 4.7L / 5 sp / 3.55 LSD rear end and I have many second gear starts and can get into fourth relatively soon after. Live in south central PA so its always hilly no matter what direction you go. I reserve fifth gear for anything flat that's a mile or longer.

Went with a ball on the bumper for light towing. Hauled a 8'x10' snowmobile trailer with about 750 to 1,000 pounds of riding lawnmower, cart, and some other stuff. No problems during the 1.5 hour drive. Combination of backroads and 65-70 mph interstate. This is the second pick-up I've owned and I love this one. The only time I wish I had an automatic is when I'm eating / drinking something while driving. Other than that - no regrets just confidence.
    This steve234 again. This is going to be a long message, but I don't think anyone will mind. I have details! Yesterday I was waiting to unload. Last night whenI checked, there was no record of my truck at BNSF which I assumed meant I was unloaded. One of my B-I-Ls called this mornig. He was making a grocery run and drove by the dealer. He did a double take and made a U-turn in the middle of the street. There were two new bronze Qs and one of them had my name on it. After a long, long talk with my wife, the chores were forsaken and we made the 130+ mile run to Vinita. 105 minutes. Aren't turnpikes wonderful?

For what everyone is interested in, the only change to the SLT front is the front air dam has two additional openings below and inside of the fog lamp position. Still that gray color (going to talk to the dealer about a bit of painting). That is the ONLY exterior body change. The tires are 255/65R16 Goodyears. The mags have changed slightly and I like the look better. They do not have that U shape where the spokes meet the hub.

MSRP: The base price for 2wd has gone from 19,250 to 19,465, a $215 increase. The SLT plus package went from 1,275 to 1,305. The 4.7, Auto, 3.92 axle, lsd, tow pkg, HD svc grp, dest., were all the old price. Interesting, I ordered the 6x9 mirrors and did not see a charge for them. However, the other bronze Q that came in was the same except did not have the tow options and had the 5x7s.

The interior: I could not get in, but I liked what I saw. The taupe looks real good. There are some major changes. The dash is flatter on top and does not have the multiple recessed defroster openings. There is one long flush vent in the center. On the passenger side, there is a shelf on top of the dash for placing items. The front of the dash is not as bulging looking but looks decent. I got the impression that there may be more leg room. The center of the dash is totally different. The radio is moved up and the A/C controls are below mounted horizontally. The knobs and makings are slightly different. The center vents are now on both sides of the radio pod. Two on each side with a tiny cubbyhole at the botton. A guess is that the left cubbyhole may be where the 4wd control may go. The dash looked basically the same from what I could see. The old floor console is totally gone as is the front pull out drink holder in the bench. A new deeper floor console, narrower in front than back, with a tray in front and back and two adjustable drink holders in the middle.

The doors are completely changed. Instead of the oval fabric segment, the fabric covers the back half of the door in a rectangle several inches down. The door pull is changed from a ring pull to lever. The look of the door is flatter with a new arm rest that goes from front to back. Instead of the pod that houses the windows, doors and mirrors, the controls are on the arm rest. The door locks are now a slider style above the arm rest and below the door opener. The map pockets are basically full door wide with two decent pockets in the back and a short shallow pocket in front to house the speaker. Some may prefer the old interior, but I like the new look. One thing that I appreciated was both of the Qs had teh beds perfectly aligned with the cabs.

My wife is staying with her sister for the week and she is going to do the preliminary inspection and paperwork. I break free on Thursday and go to pick it up. FYI we did not just go and check out the Q for you guys, we had a bunch of the family come down and we had a BBQ and took a run on the ATVs. It has been a wild and wooly day.
  • ohc_babyohc_baby Member Posts: 116
    Pictures of the 2001 Quads are in the gallery section.
    I took pictures but not too great. Will try to post one or two later.
  • bookittybookitty Member Posts: 1,303
    Evan, at this point in time, I would try to get the dealer to contact the area representative. As a rule, they can get these types of questions addressed internally. See if your dealer will contact him/her. You should not have to be kept hanging regarding your delivery. Good luck!

Bookitty
  • themacguythemacguy Member Posts: 417
    Hey, I was in SW and central Colo. all week. My 4.7/auto/3.55/non-lsd, running on 85 oct. (no kidding) got 20-21.5 mpg at whatever speed I drove it (hard as I could) - seemed like about 60 - 65 most of the time going up and down some SERIOUS passes at 11,000 + feet. When I got back down to 'level' about 60 miles east of Castle Rock (Colo. Springs, sort of), it started pinging hard so I switched back to 88 oct. and it stopped - as did the mileage. It went to 18.5 all the way back to TX at 75 - 80 mph. I drove a total of 3,110 miles in those 7 days & nights (444 miles per day). Speed definitely makes a difference in mpg on this truck - just about anything over 65 mph hurts the mpg, no matter the climate or altitude. Also noticed about a 15 cent a gallon higher cost for fuel in the mtns. (as it should be) vs. the flatlands of Colo., NM, Okla. and TX. The really interesting thing is the octane rating: lower by two full points in the mountains. Offset by the cooler, denser air (and the reduced speeds) the mpg was up noticeably.

BTW - I've calculated the operating costs with depreciation figured (for my accountant) at just .43 per mile vs. our other Co. trucks at .55 per mile over 100k of driving. Last quarter, the Quad was at .45 per mile. Prior to that .46 per mile. :-))
  • wampuswampus Member Posts: 11
    where do you go to find the gallery for pictures of the 2001 quad?
  • bigal31bigal31 Member Posts: 189
    Picture gallery-Photo gallery.
    Allen-
  • longrider1longrider1 Member Posts: 3
    I have @1,500 miles on my 2000 White QC SLT, which I purchased at Dodgeland of Columbia (SC)6/04. Got the 4.7, auto with most of the bells and whistles.

It is interesting to read other comments on similar problems: hissing of a/c drainage on exhaust and misaligned bed/cab. Love the truck so far. Hope it's much, much better than my '91 Plymouth Grand Voyager LE (I won't go into that here.)

Getting 16 to 16 1/2 mpg so far no matter what speed I drive it at.

Have been using higher recommended tire pressures per handbook. Any comments from other owners who use the Super Slabs?
  • paul152paul152 Member Posts: 2
    i just ordered a new 2001 QC in june expect it in a week,[can't wait].slt-slt+ -heavy duty package -power seat -rear defro- 4+2-limited slip- 4.7-a/t- flame red. i paid $22,515 for it.I quess it's good, i'm happy anyway. But i was wondering about a/t problems. i'v heard about them but not exactly what they are,and how they can be avoided.any advice would be helpfull.
    Thanks for the '01 info. My dealer says my truck probably won't arrive this week. Should be next week though. They said invoice was $25,102 which is for 4.7 4x4, 5 speed and all options except leather, power seats, factory hitch and auto tranny. They will fax me the invoice at work tomorrow. Dealer said the price difference for the 2001 was about a $200 increase from 2000. I'
    m hoping someone will beat me to the punch, but I will post pics of the '01 with a few more options than the stripped down one in the photo gallery ASAP.
    samg42- do you have the bench or the bucket seats? i don't like the sound of where the window controls are, but i will deal with it later. if you are near a 2000 jeep gran cherokee, look at that interior and see if it looks basically the same. i looked today and it sounds alot like your comparison.

boo- thank you, i am taking your advice as you are obiviously the king of the quad waiters, and will post you with whatever headway that i make.

for all of the rest of you. check your order status at the DC customer service line. mine was supposed to ship the 17 of July, only to find out that i was at G status, and went to I status on the 19. i have been there ever since. trust me, do your own homework.

Evan
  • chachingmanchachingman Member Posts: 17
    Yippee! Called DC today, my '01 quad shipped by rail on Friday. I tracked it on the internet today into Atlanta on NS train 197. Now just a short trip by rail up to Lawrenceville for unloading and then a car hauler ride up to Jasper GA to the dealer. Some odd facts: Today it passed within 15 miles of where I was working, then off to Lawrenceville (my old hometown). Can't Hardly wait!
  • gbilhimergbilhimer Member Posts: 53
    themacguy does your truck have the trip computer in the console? Mine does and you can definitely tell the mileage goes down with speeds over 65 mph. One tank in the mountains I got right at 14 mpg which is not terrible considering the load I was hauling and the O/D off. I rode dirtbikes with a couple of friends over lots of jeep trails while the Quad stayed put in the motel parking lot! The trails were pretty rough, I don't think I would risk my expensive Quad if I had a 4wd.
    I don't think I could bear the thought of scratching up a new truck on the rocks.
    For not wanting to mess up your Dakota. They're all (RC, CC and QC) very nicely finished. And no, I don't have the trip computer, since I couldn't wait until the 99 tax year ended to purchase. I don't have lsd either; however, we were not very heavily loaded. I have run various speeds with some degree of accuracy due to TX & NM speed limits. TX has a 70 mph day limit - 65 mph at night. NM has I/state speeds of 75 mph, local type highways are varied, as are the night speeds. So I get to drive great distances (I'm approaching 25k miles on mine now) at different 'set' speeds; say, 400 miles at a pop (ruler flat) without pausing at all, so I get to check my Quad's mpg figures pretty accurately. And I have a good calculator. :-)
    chachingman, I live in lawrenceville and ordered a new silver sport QC. I'd love to get a look at yours when it comes in. Send me a quick e-mail to crit@engineer.com if you would.
  • edwardqcedwardqc Member Posts: 16
    Hey Chachingman,

Could you give some tips on how you tracked your Quad Cab? I too have ordered from the same dealership as you and mine was scheduled for shipment 7-31-00. What are details on your QC?
    Mine is White/Silver 4x4 SLT,SLT Plus 4.7,Auto,3.55, Towing, Etc. Jasper is a great place to buy a Dodge, don't you think? This is my second one.
  • steve234steve234 Member Posts: 460
    I have the bench seat, but in reality, they are both the same. The only difference is what is bolted in the center. I decided to go with the bench and when I want to, take the center seat out and add a real nice console for a lot less than $200. I was not able to sit and feel the power button operation, but from what I saw looking in, they are actually in a better position than the old pod. The arm rest with the manual crank looks very different than with power. I really like the looks of the new map pockets. I use mine a lot and the new ones look great.
  • gsu1gsu1 Member Posts: 43
    edwardqc and chachingman-Why drive all the way to Jasper? I check with them, Palmer Dodge in Alpharetta, Marietta Dodge and Hayes in L'vlle. The best price by atleast $800. Was at Hayes. This is where I bought mine. 4x4 4.7 v-8 slt + loaded for $25,400. I hope you did better.
    called the dealer today, and was told that i am in JE-emissions, and that mine will probably be released for delivery by the end of the week. i hope to get the invoice for a 4x4 by next week for the raised prices, but i don't expect them to rise anymore than the 4x2. hoping for KZM by end of week. we were already approved for our loan. its all coming together.

Evan
  • zonkzonk Member Posts: 208
    I thought I had posted a question on this earlier, maybe it is one of the "phantom entries" that somehow got deleted on one of the topics here. Anyway, what effect/advantage does the new tire size on the T&H have on handling? Is there any disadvantage to other performance features, e.g., gas mileage? Thanks!
  • dskoczylasdskoczylas Member Posts: 22
    How can I track my QC ordered a few weeks ago. Is there a number to call at DC? can it be done through the Internet?
  • iowabigguyiowabigguy Member Posts: 552
    I think the tires remain the same overall diameter between the 15" and 16" rims. I would guess with the somewhat shorter sidewall that the suspension should feel a little firmer when hitting bumps and maybe a little less lean in on high speed turns. Rick
    gsu1:

I can't speak for chachingman, but I go there because I get a great buy and no hidden charges(like outrageous dealer prep, for example). The '01 QC is my second purchase from them and both experiences have been excellent. I have in-laws who purchased from Palmer and Marietta Dodge previously, but the stories are not so positive. As far as the deal is concerned, $195 over invoice is not bad and I don't think you can beat that by $800, since there are no rebates and I've never known any dealer to give up his holdback. On mine, that equates to $25,526 in 2000 pricing. The 2001 is about $200 bucks more. This for SLT+ 4x4 loaded as well. As far as distance is concerned, driving 45m(Lville) vs 65m(Jasper) is negligible (I am south of ATL). My guess is your deal is more equivalent to mine than you think. But you should always do what you think is right, as I have. Enjoy your QC.
    Actually, Edward, I got Peachtree Dodge down to 350 under invoice. I talked to Palmer and Marietta and didn't really care for either. I chose Peachtree over Town & Country and Jasper, though they were all relatively close. Peachtree's the second-closest to me and has been as much a joy to work with as any dealer can be, really.
  • gsu1gsu1 Member Posts: 43
    I am not doubting you got a good deal, just not worth the extra 40 mile round trip. You went there for price but what are you going to do about service. I never said my deal was better than yours. Just that no-one quoted me close to what Hayes did. As you can see you don't have to drive so far to get a good deal. I live in Covington so I only had a short 30 mile drive compared to 50+. Well enough of that, no need to argue about dealerships. We need to get the Quad members in the south together. It seems like everyone here is from up north.
    As I said before, if your happy with your experience, stick with your dealer. I still say you cannot buy a new QC under invoice, unless of course one of the following is true:
    1) There are existing rebates.
    2) You're a DC or dealership employee
    3) The dealership has somehow modified the numbers such that he gets a net at or above the invoice by charging hidden fees, high prices for dealer add-ons, or accepting a trade-in at a lower than normal value so their costs can be recouped.
    4) It is also remotely possible that a dealer may be willing to give up a portion of the holdback if a customer places an order, though on popular models like the QC, this is highly unlikely.

Pricing aside, I'm glad your happy with your experience at Peachtree. I've talked with ATL dealers Town&Country, Landmark, and Marietta and none come close to Jasper on price. My new QC reached Order Status F on 7/28, so it will be here soon.

GSU1,
    A 40 mile round trip, even at today's gas prices, costs $14(assuming 35 cents/mile). Even if I had to do this five times in the warranty period, thats only $70. My last Dodge only had 1 warranty repair. So, it is worth it to get a quality purchase and service experience with a dealer you've had experience with and trust, at least to me.
    The way it worked for me, I had to drive a 600 mile round trip to get a 'deal' on the new Quad. I had to go to [www.bennyboyd.com] in Lampasas as NO dealers in W. TX. even new what one looked like (last Dec.). I hope everyone is happy with their 'short hops,' as routine drives out here - just to look - are day trips at best! Good luck on finding invoice prices. 1% over seems a good target in TX.

BTW - In Colo. (all) last week I didn't see any Ford SuperCrews and just 1 or 2 of the Nissans. But I saw dozens of Dakota Quads. Must be the power to weight issue in the mountains. ;-)
  • gettinaquadgettinaquad Member Posts: 7
    Well, my truck is in.....getting it today or tommorrow....also, I have pricing, so here goes (I only know prices for what I ordered, so some options are left out...sorry).....

Base Quad Cab SLT 4X2 17,619
    Heavy Duty Service (ADJ) 153
    Trailer Tow Group (AHC) 234
    Security Alarm (AJB) 191
    Power Overhead Conv (AJL) 234
    SLT Plus Decor (ATK) 1,109
    Auto Trans (DG4) 829
    Posi Rear End (DSA) 242
    4.7L Endine (EVA) 502
    Sliding Rear Window (GFD) 98
    Pwr Heated Mirrors (GTS) 17
    Bodyside Molding (K17) 64
    Fog Lamps (LNJ) 102
    AM/FM/Cass/CD Radio (RAZ) 561
    Steering Whl. Audio Cntl (SCG) 64
    Owner Loyalty (YDH) 20
    7 Addtl Gal. Gas (YGC) 9
    Preferred Package (26G) 1,037
    SLT Plus Disc. (3KV) -383
    Cust. Pref. Disc. (3VT) -225
    Los Angeles PPA (A48) 160
    Los Angeles DAA (T48) 300
    Destination Charge (029) 545

Well, there you go.....these are obviously all invoice prices......there are only a couple of other options (well, other than engine/tran stuff) that I didn't get, so this should be about everything....or most everything.....
  • gettinaquadgettinaquad Member Posts: 7
    one other item......

invoice for my truck totals 23,525 and per the invoice, the MSRP is 25,740 for what it's worth....
  • resqmanresqman Member Posts: 71
    cowtownaggie,

Did you install the drop-in or the FIPK K&N filter? The drop-in is about $40-$45. I have not seen pricing for the FIPK yet. At an additional 1 mpg, it wouldn't take long for it to pay for itself in ROI alone. Of course you also get the added power and cleaner motor.
  • steady73steady73 Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone heard of Airaid, they are a competitor of K&N and alot less expensive but you know the old saying. You get what you pay for.
This discussion has been closed.