Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Crew - Future Models II

Comments

• Options
    odd1odd1 Member Posts: 227
    My mother who grew in south Texas before the rise of AC puts on a sweater below 75F. The other day a heard a DJ complaining about how miserably cold it is at 41F here in Houston.
  • Options
    jimmyp1jimmyp1 Member Posts: 640
    38F out here in the "Katy prairie" this morning, Odd1, and I heard the DJ on 93Q complaining while I was working out. All I could think was, "I wish it were always like this". Oh well. My wife was telling our 3 year old, no we can't go out and play, it's too cold, yesterday, and I was thinking, "it's 62F out there, this is quite possibly the BEST day of the YEAR to go out and play". Matter of perspective or opinion, I guess. I was raised in Nebraska/Colorado, and she was raised in Houston. There's your answer.

Jim
  • Options
    kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    How about calling it a "Toasty Buns, Mirrors and Wipers Pacakge". ;-)

Ken
  • Options
    My daughter and I had a great day at the zoo yesterday. I'm with you enjoy these temps in the sixties and low humidity while you can. There is plenty of 90+ degrees and 90+ percent humidity days just around the corner.

Any Subaru dealer you like or would avoid here in Houston? Been here less than 2 weeks. Even with my disappoint, so far, in the Forester redo. I can't write it off. It looks much better to me on Edmunds than Subaru's site. Hopefully, they will be addressing rear leg room issues.
  • Options
    West Houston Subaru, but I need to qualify a couple things. I liked them because of their service manager, who, unfortunately, just left the dealership. I have been trying to track him down, because I thought I might follow him, but no luck. I have been to Gillman Subaru, and didn't care for them. West Houston Subaru is at I-10 and Dairy Ashford, but they are moving to a brand new stand-alone dealership a few miles further west at Barker-Cypress any day now. The convenience of that location being so close to me may mean that I stick with them. Welcome to Houston!

Jim
  • Options
    Thanks

"Katy prairie" LOL- Is that between Brookshire and Sealy?
  • Options
    fernieguyfernieguy Member Posts: 55
    I'd hate to explain this to my insurance broker, you won't beleive these photos

http://www.hot.ee/ujuvsti/index_eng.htm

Stephen

• Options
    I haven't seen a post from him in two days. Did Subaru grab him and throw him in the dungeon with Patti? Hope he is okay.

Speaking of which, is there good stuff yet to come since Patti hasn't posted since before the Forester redo came out?
  • Options
    big_guybig_guy Member Posts: 372
    That brings a whole new meaning to a "cool dip in the lake"!
  • Options
    bigfrank3bigfrank3 Member Posts: 426
    If they had driven it out it would have been a great commercial for All Water Drive.

Regards,
    Frank
  • Options
    bblachabblacha Member Posts: 160
    Note how the spoiler stays above the surface. Seems like some air got trapped in the car. This is one well-made, tight-sealed car!

--Bart
  • Options
    hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    Just saw them in the flesh at my local toyota dealer.

Two words come to mind, ugly and claustrophobic, the back doors especially are real off putting, all door and very little glass,the inside is nicely done but I would hate to travel anywhere in the back.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    miksmimiksmi Member Posts: 1,246
    is available on the Forester XS. From the Forester press release:

New for 2003, an Electronic Brake Distribution (EBD) system on the 2.5 XS enhances braking performance and stability by actively optimizing braking force distribution between the front and rear wheels.

Does anyone have more details on this? I'm not familiar with the technology.

..Mike

..Mike

• Options
    gvmelbrtygvmelbrty Member Posts: 64
    From cars.com:

electronic brake-force distribution (EBD)

An antilock braking system provision that delivers shorter stopping distances by optimizing the force applied to each wheel’s brake regardless of the vehicle’s weight distribution

The force required at the front and rear brake pairs varies with the load carried by the vehicle and the urgency of the stop. Front brakes handle the majority of the action, because the vehicle’s weight shifts forward during braking. Rear brakes require less force overall but need more when the rear of the car is weighed down with passengers or cargo. Historically, engineers have designed front/rear proportioning valves to hit the median for rear brakes — enough force for some rear cargo but no so much that the wheels lock up when the car is unladen.

Over the years, the odd car has incorporated a variable brake-proportioning valve that adjusts how much force the rears get based on how low the chassis is riding due to onboard weight. Now, ABS-based electronic brake-force distribution achieves the same results — more precisely and for each wheel rather than for front and rear pairs. All brakes receive a given amount of force, and the ABS prevents lockup individually at each wheel.

This raises the question, Isn’t EBD inherent in any ABS system? To a degree, yes; but the threshold at which ABS kicks in is now lower, and the force proportioning is more variable. This greater sensitivity at lower slip rates helps enable shorter stopping distances — no matter how much weight the vehicle is carrying and where it is distributed.
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Even they get STi's before we do. Oh man...

As to juice, he's in Florida at a wedding I believe.

Bob
  • Options
    was anybody as disappointed as I was to see the Silverado pickup truck get the Avalanche style headlights? I think it looks rediculous. Just venting.

Jim
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    But so long as it doesn't have the cladding. Do the 2500 series or only the 1500 series get em?

-mike
  • Options
    armac13armac13 Member Posts: 1,129
    Nope - I never look at the dark side. GM = Generally Malevolent.

Ross
  • Options
    The front of the new Chevy looks like it came straight from the Avalanche, and no it doesn't have the cladding or squared off wheel cutouts of the Avalanche. The GMC's front also got a makeover, with the grill hinting somewhat of the new Envoy.

I don't care for the styling of either one. I also don't care for the styling of the current models either. The Chevy's front does look a bit more "aggressive."

Until GM does a complete makeover of this pickup range (years down the road), they rank, IMO, and other than the Tundra, the worst styled full-size trucks out there.

It's a shame, because under the skin, they're arguably the best pickups out there.

Bob
  • Options
    Of the new ones, although inside the Yukon/Tahoe the window sills are too high, step up height too high (for the low ground clearance) and windows seem more like portals than windows. But in a truck I'm more for function over form. I also like the looks of the F250/350/450HD much better than the curvy F150. (see I praise ford sometimes ;) )

-mike
  • Options
    Thanks, Tom. First time I've seen that mentioned in a Subaru. I wonder who actually makes the 2003 Forester's brakes.

..Mike

..Mike

• Options
    subypowersubypower Member Posts: 50
    I know this goes against conventional wisdom for an SUV. But as an owner of a Forester and someone who sells these cars every day, I think the driving experience given the frame and handling would be improved more with a turbo than the H6. I like the sound of the H6 and the interstate performance. But I am still not sold on the overall benefit from the 4 to the 6 for the money. But when driving the WRX, you are definitely willing to spend the extra money over the TS or RS.
  • Options
    outbacker2k2outbacker2k2 Member Posts: 24
    I honestly don't care if they proliferate the H6 to other models or slap a turbocharger onto the existing 2.5, as long as they do something! If SOA offered an H6 or Turbo as an option for the base model outback I'd be the first in line to get one. Hopefully SOA will see the light soon.
  • Options
    jimmyj1945jimmyj1945 Member Posts: 141
    I totally agree with outbacker2k2. I will buy a 2003 because it is such a great vehicle, but I would have been much more excited about it if there was either a turbo or an H-6, or even just a power boost.

Jim
  • Options
    SOJ has just updated their Blitzen site. Don't know as to whether the vehicle has been changed. In any case, more gorgeous images...

Bob

http://www.subaru.co.jp/
  • Options
    p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Bob- The images were blury... kinda like somebody had drooled on them. Perhaps Mike S. had already visited the site :(o)

-Frank P.

P.S. I see SOJ has now included an english text version of their site.
  • Options
    LOL, Frank. Good find, Bob. I was there all last week, they must have updated this week. Wish they had photos in the other colors, not just red. Still, the red is pretty sweet. oops, I guess it was me.

..Mike

..Mike

• Options
    SOJ has always had an English version of their site. Unfortunately, it contains only Euro-spec models, not Japanese models.

Bob
  • Options
    hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    Looks like they do have specs available for download (PDF). But, my Adobe (English) doesn't know Japanese :-( and don't want to mess things up to load the Japanese Adobe.

-Dave
  • Options
    Same thing here, Dave. You can download just the Japanese font pack for the English version of Acrobat Reader 5.0 (Windows) here. Mac version is also available.

..Mike

..Mike

• Options
    Hehe, well I gambled on loading the Japanese version and now I can't read even English. Boy, did I mess it up :-(
    Have to wait for IT (brother) to undo the mess :-)

-Dave
  • Options
    Dave,

heh, you're thanking me for instructions that screwed up your computer?

If you're running Windoze, go to Settings, Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, and uninstall Acrobat Reader and the font pack (might not be listed). Reboot. Download and install a new copy of Acrobat Reader 5.0, then the font pack.

Apologies if I caused any problems. On second thought, blame Bob. ;-)

..Mike

..Mike

• Options
    No Mike, the thank you was for the link of fonts.
    The screw-up was my own baddy :-)
    Was looking for the uninstall, but cant find it. I am using a Mac OS 9.2. I know the stuffs are somewhere in the laptop. Just got to figure where it got hidden.
    Brother should be home soon.

-Dave
  • Options
    I finally succombed to curiousity. The Blitzen PDF is 2 pages of mostly Japanese (surprise!) with some English sprinkles. No photos. Not really worth downloading, unless your name is Ken Suzuki (kens) (who reads Japanese).

..Mike

..Mike

• Options
    OK, I got everything back to normal. Don't know how I did it, and got to see the Blitzen PDF in Japanese too.
    Let me guess, from English sprinkles, 2.0l engine (wonder how "turbo" looks like in Japanese)
    4AT-VTD sport shift by Prodrive, 5MT with LSD
    AT 256hp @ 6000 rpm 235 ft-lb @ 5000 rpm
    MT 276hp @ 6500 rpm 253 ft-lb @ 5000 rpm
    There seem to be 2 sets of weights for each. I'm guessing Sedan and Wagon.
    McIntosh stereo; HIDs; MOMO steering...

-Dave
  • Options
    subypowersubypower Member Posts: 50
    Even though the engine seems nice, can't they do something a little better with the styling on that B4 Legacy.
  • Options
    Ben, I concur, I'm not wild about the B4 front facia, nor the wheels. I prefer the front facia of the GT-B E-tune II.

What are the mechanical differences between the Blitzen Touring Wagon and GT-B E-tune II? Suspension?

..Mike

..Mike

• Options
    declansdaddeclansdad Member Posts: 120
    The B4 may not appeal to everyone, but I say bring it here (to the states that is) and watch it sell like hot-cakes. I would be first in line at my local dealer with a deposit in hand. The B4 is everything I want in a sports sedan (especially exclusivity). It could go head to head with the Infinit G35, which will most likely get AWD in a year or so.

Michael
  • Options
    Hey guys,

I took a quick look at the PDF. Let me know if you want any specific specs.

Ken
  • Options
    Ken,

I notice GT-B E-tune II is mentioned in the Blizten document. Does the GT-B share components with the Blitzen? I'm not clear on the distinction between the Blitzen and GT-B.

Thanks.

..Mike

..Mike

• Options
    Mike,

The first sentence in the .pdf explains that the red star symbol denotes Blitzen specific features that are above and beyond the RSK or GT-B E-tune II standard equipment.

Some of them are:

- Porsche design 17" rims
    - Front helical LSD
    - Front strut tower bar
    - Legacy McIntosh stereo
    - All the Blitzen specific body trim (duh)

Ken
  • Options
    kens-
    Is that in additional to the rear LSD?
    On MT only? OK OK, I'm a slush box driver [not by choice]. :-)

-Dave
  • Options
    Dave,

Yes, that's in addition to the rear LSD. I'll have to check the .pdf I printed out when I get home to see if it's on both MT and AT.

Ken
  • Options
    Now that is what they need on the forester, slap the H6, skid plates, different bumpers, and front and rear LSD + some bigger tires, and you have yourself an awsom off-road capable forester.

-mike
  • Options
    locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    a helical front LSD would make a profound difference in tarmac handling for any high powered AWD car.

it would help some offroad as well, but on-road much more.

-Colin
  • Options
    maybe not helical? would make it perfect off-road.

-mike
  • Options
    locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    yeah, helical limited slips do nothing when one side is in infinite slip (like in the air) so they're not the best for off-road.

they're awesome on tarmac though, biasing the wheelspeed instead of mundanely locking the outputs together.

-Colin
  • Options
    Wasn't sure what the helical did. Yeah a traditional LSD in the front would work better on a forester/off-road situation, especially with IFS which could leave a wheel suspended.

-mike
  • Options
    Just checked the .pdf. The front helical LSD on the Blitzen is only for the MT.

Ken
  • Options
    Thanks Ken :-(
    Would be great if the AT had them too

-Dave