Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Crew - Modifications II

Comments

• Options
    bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    The filter would be for the OB too. She also needs to get some HVAC bulbs replaced so maybe we could do it all at once.

Colin - I'm sitting here looking at the Britsh mag Japanese Performance. The WRX STi V5 Type R can do 0-60 in 4.3 secs! That's close to a motorcycle. Only if.

Dennis
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Lots of bikes come in under 3 seconds, actually.

Not only that, in a bike you are totally in touch with your surroundings, and your body actually becomes part of the suspension.

Totally different feel, really.

-juice
  • Options
    4.3 is closer to a bike than his RS is. ;-) Yes, it is a different feel though.

Dennis
  • Options
    hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    Dennis- those mirrors look to adhere to the windshield, but I think the mount could be removed for use with the pre 2K MYs. As for wires, guess it would be those from the overhead map-lights.

-Dave
  • Options
    p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Juice- The trouble with bikes is the higher probability of your body actually becoming part of the ROAD! Talk about a totally different feel!

-Frank P.
  • Options
    locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    Good point about the 0-60 Dennis, but there's no comparison when you look at quartermile times, 50-70 acceleration, etc. even when you're comparing against a 15 year-old bike. (of course, it's a low mileage, excellent condition bike.)

-Colin
  • Options
    hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    Dennis, the auto dim mirror does mount on the windshield, it is intended for Model year 2000 on.

I guess if you were determined enough it could be retrofitted, the wire harness is already there for it from model year 2000 on so you would also have to run your own wire harness.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    Thanks for the mirror input everyone.

-Dennis
  • Options
    True, you don't have all the sheetmetal around you for protection, but that's also what heightens the senses.

Well, did the gear oil swap on the 626 last night, we'll see how the tranny holds up. The light is off for now.

-juice
  • Options
    ramonramon Member Posts: 825
    I am not even sure myself if I am gonna get an STi if it comes. Reason being that if the EVO along and offers a better overall car package, i would get that. The new GDA imprezas do not getmy blood pumping at all even thought the WRX are faster than my RS. Besides, there will be alot of new sports cars coming out too. So... yup. Hope Subaru comes up with an SVX successor with manual tranny!
    Also colin, i've not been modding my car either. But still maintaining the car as best as I can.
  • Options
    barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    Has anyone seen these yet. They will be offered through Tirerack as of 10/19

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/images/prodrive/bodykit/prodrive_frontlip_lights_2.jpg

The price is $739 and are DOT approved. The grille set will also be for sale for $399.

Stephen

• Options
    These are becoming quite popular on the WRX. They come in flat black and need to painted in order to match WRX. Some folks have left them unpainted. Looks as such on the black WRX but I prefer the painted look on the other colors. The prices are between $550 & $650

I haven't decided which I like best.

Stephen

• Options
    fudd2befudd2be Member Posts: 50
    Hi - I have not been around for a while!!! How is everyone?

I have a question - anyone have any experience with or know where I can get hints on installing the Subaru 6-disc in dash changer? I am adding it to my existing stock cassette.

32K on my 2K OB Wagon and luvin' it! Thanks for your help!!!

-Howard
  • Options
    kate5000kate5000 Member Posts: 1,271
    It changes that bug-eyed look dramatically!

--Kate who does not like round headlights except on Wrangler
  • Options
    If it is a new unit the install instructions should be with it, however it is relatively easy.

First remove the woodgrain lower panel on the console by pulling up gently then pull it back, then undo two screws after taking out the ashtray this will allow you to remove the woodgrain around the dash, start at the bottom right corner and gently pull towards you it just held by a series of bayonet clips.

Six screws hold the radio and hvac mounting remove one of the black plastic trays below the radio, mount the CD changer and plug it into the back of the radio and you are done just reassemble and enjoy should take about an hour start to finish,

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    fudd2befudd2be Member Posts: 50
    Pat,

I appreciate the advice!! I expect to receive it Tuesday - will let you know how it goes!

-Howard
  • Options
    On the woodgrain panel that is on top of the console just pull up enough to free the clips then pull it back if you pull it up too far you will snap off the two clips that push into the dash panel.

This is really the only precaution the two little bayonets that push into the dash are really fragile, good luck.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    ramonramon Member Posts: 825
    are nice if it's on a:

- Mini
    - Porsche
    - Beetle
    - those jeeps.

I stick to the adage that if you have to do alot of mods to the exterior look of the car to improve it's aesthetics, then that means the car's design team has failed. It applies to any other car.
  • Options
    lucien2lucien2 Member Posts: 2,984
    was a real bummer, but the folks at iON Performance seem to be getting thier ducks in a row. This thread is interesting to me mostly because they are offering springs that are JDM Legacy RS/GTB spec, as opposed to making Legacy owners make do with a set really meant for Imprezas.....

http://www.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=96115&perpage=25&pagenumber=2

• Options
    rplumrplum Member Posts: 48
    Sad about Rallispec, and SPD closing down at the end of the year due to Mike having some health concerns. Personal Kudos from myself to Mike at SPD, he is a good guy.

Round lights, no BMW mention? A few of my favorite cars are the E30 3 series, and E28 and E34 5 series car. I'm also a sucker for the "angel eyes" headlight trim on the new 5 series, and at a track day at Putnam a few months back a guy in his new E39 M5 totally ate my 2.5RS naturally aspirated lunch. (my local friends are mostly all BMW guys with quite a stable: 1988M5, 1990M3 J-stock racecar, 325iX, E34M5, 2000 M Coupe, etc. - I'm the Subaru weirdo)

I-club: I don't have the energy to do much i-clubbing anymore. It moves too fast, and there's a lot of background noise there, unless you have an hour to surf/read everything it's difficult. It's changed from the good ole days when there were only a few of us. Good and Bad. Good: much more good information, vendor support. Bad: the aforementioned background noise, and the "visual tuner" crowd (how 's that?) which isn't my bag. To each their own.

My personal 2.5RS gets a set of Sparco EVO seats this week, I'm having some custom mounting subframes sent from Japan as I speak. I can't wait. My fiance' inherited my STi V5 reclining buckets for her 2002 Legacy GT.

My 2.5RS at this point is prepped beyond STS class, and Street-Mod is a whole different animal, as I think Colin discovered. Plus, I'm kiind of hooked on track racing/driving school stuff now, so autocrossing lost some of it's lustre.

Just sent one of our WRXs to Ford (short term eval), hoping to get a Focus SVT in return in the near future.

fading into the background...............

Ryan
  • Options
    I like that. Very p.c. :D

Dennis
  • Options
    Being a student of design...I wouldn't agree that the designers failed, just that maybe there were/are other alternatives that improve the design. :-) BTW, not saying that the two alternative links I listed are necessarily improvements.

Stephen
  • Options
    I wasn't plugging i-club, just providing a link to an offer for legacy-specific springs. My point being that a tuner methodical enough to develop springs with Legacy RS/GTB rates is worth considering , as opposed to others who simply say "yah those are fer the impreza, but they'll fit yer Legacy too!"

I only lurk the Mid-atlantic board (mercifully free of noise and, as you say, "visual tuners" heh heh) and the Legacy board (ditto)
  • Options
    well the seats are half done/in. I got some pretty trick BRIDE subframes/side mount brackets from Jpn. We had to modify them a bit, as the side mounts on the were too narrow. Removed the upright tabs, welded on some Sparco sidemounts, and now I'm in business. I'll probably get the passenger seat in tomorrow. Perhaps the coolest feature of these mounts is the included inboard seatbelt mount and Subaru OEM bolt supplied. I've not seen that on other setups, it will allow me to use both harnesses and stock seatbelts cleanly.

The seats I have are Sparco Evo IIs, "sympathetically" used (as Glenn Wallace might say). They're a bit too wide for me for any kind of serious racing, but for the winter and goofing around, should be fine. When the setup is complete I'll snap some pics and maybe find a way to put em up here....

RP
  • Options
    Looking forward to those pics...

One guy had Sparcos put in his Forester. It was wild!

The flat black headlights look like the rally team USA's. If you're going for that look, as a tribute to the rally team, I can imagine that being part of the package. The price is worth it if you're getting HIDs along with the rest of the package, not just the different style.

-juice
  • Options
    p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Stehpen- Neither of those do much for me. Didn't think I'd ever say it but given the alternatives, I prefer the stock look.

-Frank P.
  • Options
    I know what you mean but the Morettes have grown on me. I know, I live in the soggy NW so maybe it's like mold...LOL!

Stephen
  • Options
    and I have pictures. no website to link from tho.

if anybody want em/can post em, let me know

Ryan
    r_plum at msn.com
  • Options
    brekkebrekke Member Posts: 304
    Does anyone know where I can get polyurethane bushings for a 20 mm rear sway bar? I've posted at i-club, emailed a couple of places, I got nothin'.

I do have a price of $46 plus shipping for Powerflex but that seems awfully expensive for a pair of bushings.
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    JC Whitney?

I picked up a set of 4 (2 for the front, 2 for the rear) of my Trooper for $20 total.

-mike
  • Options
    unless you plan to rally crossing or taking your car on the track. I have the 20mm rear sway bar with the stock bushings and everything is fine, no squeak or creak.

Stephen
  • Options
    Ryan: e-mail them to me at ateixeira@ifc.org. I'll get them up on my PhotoPoint account. Hurry 'cause I'm out tomorrow so it's today or Monday.

Try http://home.att.net/~teaguesauto/index.htm or cobbtuning.com for the bushings, but I'm afraid that price may be about right.

-juice

• Options
    Beat you to it Juice. ;-)

Ryan's stuff is here:

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1182273&a=13887564

More pictures to be added later, I think. Oh and Ryan if you want different captions let me know. ;-Þ

-Colin

• Options
    DOH! I'm keeping them for reference. :P

Mine are here, the last three photos in the album, along with the HIDs and turbo kit I saw.

Here is the seat installed (sweet!):

-juice
  • Options
    maybe I should get out my wallet and renew my photopoint account afterall, as it is handy.

the car even got a bath last night, and I found a buyer for the seats when I remove em after this winter (too wide for me, they will go into my buddy's Defender 90 in the spring!)

Ryan
    -that banner is red, I swear!
  • Options
  • Options
    brekkebrekke Member Posts: 304
    thanks guys! The price I got was $23 for one bushing. JC Whitney includes brackets with their bushings but they were in inches and I didn't know if I needed an exact match.

Having said that, should I go with Teagues's Sway bar link package for $78?
    It includes "a high tensile spring steel link fitted with ultra low compliance polyurethane bushings. Critical hardware is replaced with high tensile components to match the higher loads."

And should I change the front bushings while I'm at it?

Forgive my newbie questions...I'd appreciate any advice regarding a thicker front sway bar as well. Would that lessen body roll, but give more understeer? My goal is less understeer, less body roll.
  • Options
    Posted you earlier regarding Mobil one but since the subscriptions have been messed up you probably did not get it.

Anyway my question again since Mobil one seems to be the oil of choice on these boards, and I seem to recall a post where you said you were using Syntec but would use Mobil one if the cost was the same, how much better if any is Mobil;one? compared to Syntec.

The reason for the question Mobil one has only been available at some esso stations at an inflated price it is now available at our local Canadian tire stores, I have always used Syntec or Quaker state in the past but I intend to change to synthetic at next oil change.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    Leave it to an i-clubber to get the info I could NEVER seem to get from SOA despite repeated e-mails to SOA & supposedly forwarded to their engineering dept.

OK...nuff' ranting...just can't stand sloppy follow-up, especially after I was told my e-mail would be fowarded to engineering and that I would get a response.

http://www.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=104241

I know that it's easy to get inside the WRX seats as there is a zipper that goes around the entire back of the seats. Anyhow, I plan on investigating more. I would really like to have those heaters, especially on long drives.

Stephen

• Options
    kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Pat,
    I asked Colin a similar question -- which would he choose if the two oils were the same price. His answer: Mobil 1.

In theory, Mobil 1 is a true synthetic so it should perform better and last longer. In practice, I don't know if it makes any difference in our engines.

The two cost the same where I shop so I just went with Mobil 1. I recently switched from Syntec 10W30 to Mobil 1 5W30 and have been happy with the results. Cold engine startups seem less noisy and my fuel milage seems to have gone up about 1mpg. Don't know if that's due to the thinner weight or the difference oil. My guess is the former.

Ken
  • Options
    Guys,

Mobil 1 is better on several metrics. Both Mobil 1 and Syntec are so far above mineral oils on any of those measure though that I feel no guilt in feeding my RS 'only' Syntec.

-Colin
  • Options
    This one involves taking the yellow gel stuff out and placing a bulb that blinks yellow instead. It really cleans up the stock headlight IMO.

http://i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=104315

Here's another mod where the guy replaced the side bulb in the front headlamp assembly with an amber one. I believe he also did the mod above. Additionally (since the semi-side one was switched to amber) painted over the amber side marker light. You also can get clear ones and paint over them. The nightime look is most cat-like....me like. :-)

http://i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=104174

Stephen

• Options
    Well sure, those links are pretty good, but the bushings in question are part of the link itself and NOT the bushings you are looking for. You want the ones 5 items down- the Whiteline 20mm bushings for $22. Your stock brackets should work, but it is a beeotch to do alone. You'll need someone to clamp them closed while you screw 'em down. A REAL pain flat on your back, but do-able.
  • Options
    This is advice Mike Shields proffered to someone on the Outback mailing list about mods for HP:

"We do NOT recommend 'bolt-on' (e.g., K&N, pulleys, exhaust, etc.) horsepower. I will outline the reasons why these products are of questionable value. I. The possible 15-18hp gain is all at the very last 1000 rpm, so it may look like a 15 percent increase in power, but in fact, when you average over the rpm range the motor must run in each gear it is really only about a 7-8
    percent gain. This assumes you run the motor to red line in each gear.

II. There is not any power gain in the 2500-4500 range that you normally run the engine in, and in fact, some bolt-on power such as more than 2.25 inch exhaust pipe will cause as much as a 10% drop in midrange power. This gives you the impression that the motor has a stronger top end, when in fact, drivability has actually suffered.
    III. Acceleration is a square root function of power. This means that for a 9% gain in power you only get a 3% lowering of acceleration rate or just a couple of tenths in the 0-60 time. You will soon forget this change in the car, while you will have much more engine noise and be $1000-1500 poorer for your trouble. "

Seems like strange advice from a guy who has made a tidy sum selling bolt on exhausts and pulleys. *shrug* Maybe he is just "profiling" the typical OB owner, or maybe he really is calling BS on the entire aftermarket parts business???
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply, anybody who doubts that synthetic is superior to dino only needs to install an oil pressure gauge and compare the two.

At very cold temperatures oil pressure builds much quicker on synthetic, and across the temperature range synthetic will maintain almost the same running pressure while dino the hotter it gets the lower the pressure which means a thinner film of oil between the bearings.

Some people maintain that as long as you have oil pressure you are good to go but if that were the case why would high performance engine builders insist on high pressure high volume oil pumps.

Ken I have no doubt about the benifits of synthetic I just wondered how much better Mobil one was.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Lucien,

I'm going to guess that Mike's answer was geared toward what he felt was in the best interest of a "typical" OB owner but it is kind of strange how he comes out so strongly against bolt-ons.

If you look at his answer, the bolt-ons would make sense for someone who cares about shaving every tenth of a second off their 0-60 times or drives near redline consistently.

Ken
  • Options
    Well it seems the tech area of hise site has been upgraded a little, with some clarification. he basically argues that changing the breathing of a 2.5NA motor is useless without changing cams. I guess Colin knew that, huh? :) He argues for leaving it alone and tuning the suspension for a nice, tossable fast-road tourer
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Mike is actually out of business, just like Rallispec. My buddy scott contacted him a week ago and he said he wasn't in business. Could this be true?

-mike
  • Options
    1subydown1togo1subydown1togo Member Posts: 348
    Mike supposedly closed SPD due to illness
  • Options
    I contacted Nick Duncan in the UK and ordered the rear cupholders. They are offered through the UK Subaru dealers but not presently at the stateside dealers. The total price w/shipping was $65. Just a FYI for those that may be interested.

http://i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=102689

Stephen