Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Taurus Prices Paid and Buying Experience

kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
Tell us about buying/shopping for the Ford Taurus!

Edmunds Price Checker
Edmunds Lease Calculator
Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Comments

• thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I'm looking for my grandmother. Interested in a FWD SEL, with few if any options, just the lowest price possible. There is currently $1,500 in rebate/cash available on this car. Has anyone found any good deals lately?

I'm in the Birmingham, AL area, and am in the process of getting online quotes.

Any help is appreciated!

TheGraduate
  • easebizeasebiz Member Posts: 2
    Want to buy the SEL FWD base model, how much before tax & tag can I expect? Is it possible to get under 20k? There is 2k rebates right now. Does anyone know how much incentive/rebates/bonus ford give to the dealer without public knowledge?

I live in south Florida.

Thanks a lot.
    I got a quote of $21,489 on an SEL FWD base, it may have had the convenience package, but that would'nt be $1,500 difference.

This price included destination.

I live in Central Alabama.
    Just a follow-up here.

I have now received two quotes.

1.)$21,489 not including Tax or Title
    2.)22,067.75 out the door ($22,700 - 1500 rebate + 851.25 tax + 16.50 title)

2008 Taurus FWD SEL, no option packages or options. (MSRP $23,995 w/Destination)
  • brucelincbrucelinc Member Posts: 815
    I live in Minneapolis and bought an SEL for my wife yesterday for $19,880 at Superior Ford. Sticker was just over 24. They are also going to install factory body side moldings as part of the deal. The parts came to about $150 and their body shop will paint and install them.

This car has no options but really everything my wife wants comes standard. This is a fantastic car for the money.
    What did $19980 include? If nothing, what was your out the door cost (Car+Fees+Tax)? Thanks for sharing.

TheGrad
  • brucelincbrucelinc Member Posts: 815
    That price did not include the usual sales tax, license fees, and title. Those items may vary by state. I don't have the paperwork in front of me but I think the license tabs were $299 and the title fee was $50. Sales tax in MN is 6.5%. I did not purchase the extended warranty or any other add-ons that they try to sell.

The price of the car was on the dealer's website. It included a discount of a bit over $2,500 plus a $1,500 rebate. I was able to get them to furnish, paint, and install factory body side moldings for protection against door dings.

Superior Ford in Minneapolis has been a good dealership for me so I didn't even shop around. We bought our 2001 Taurus from them and any service work for my Lincoln, Ranger, or Taurus that I can't do myself (transmission flushes, alignments, etc.) goes to them. I even buy oil and filters from their parts department.
    Thanks for all your info bruce.
  • mrjdl71mrjdl71 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 1998 Taurus from a friend of mine. It was his company's car. I definitely think he gave me a great deal for $2000.
    It had ~145,000 miles on it (over a year ago).
    It has nearly 190,000 miles now. It's an OK. The dashboard lights don't work all that well. The interior light won't turn on when I open the door. The tape player wants to flip over and spit out occasionally. The passenger side electric door lock works independently of the other doors. I get 18-20 MPG most of the time although I drove it from Nashville to Chicago last month and got 38 MPG!
    The transmission is doing something strange... it is slow to engage and slow to disengage. I can feel the transmission disengage, not when I let me foot off the gas but when I'm pressing down on the brake. The transmission will sometimes bark the tires when first starting off. Supposedly there's a sensor in the transmission that has gone bad and the only way to fix it is to replace the transmission.

Of the things I wished the designers did differently,
    better front cup holders, made the "ashtray" able to open when the center armrest was up/open, a splash guard to allow the drive belt to not get wet when driving thru a puddle, an "idiot light" to show whether the alternator OR the battery was going bad, and less wind noise around the tops of the doors at interstate speeds. :D
    Please share your info with us if you've recently purchased a new Taurus (2008) Sedan. I'd really LOVE to hear it!
  • jkinzeljkinzel Member Posts: 735
    I got an Internet price from Westlie Ford - Mercury, Inc. in Camas, WA on 12/29 for a 2008 SEL. All he did was give me the same figures I got off the Ford “Build and Price page” and telling me what a good deal it was. $27090 MSRP and he could give it to me for $25590. What a deal, all he did was take off the Ford offered incentives.
    I told him we were not in a big hurry to buy, maybe late winter or spring.
    That quote is pitiful. You should get an additional $2k off beyond the rebates (which are currently at $2000 in my area).
  • richardmayorichardmayo Member Posts: 26
    JKinzel - I'm in the Vancouver, WA area too. That offer from Westlie is insulting.

You might want to try one of the many other Ford dealers in the Portland area. Since they likely have much higher sales volume than Westlie, they may be more likely to be willing to sell for a smaller margin.

I had good luck in the past with the internet sales department at Landmark Ford in Tigard.
    Thanks. It looks like a few more months before I buy, but I will take your advice and give them a try if no local dealers in the Tacoma area have what Im looking for.
  • richardmayorichardmayo Member Posts: 26
    You're welcome.

Just as a "for instance" in todays Sunday paper, I'm seeing an 08 Taurus AWD with an MSRP of $28,570 advertised for $23,977 (MSRP minus $1500 factory rebate minus $3093 dealer discount)
  • ronsmith38ronsmith38 Member Posts: 228
    Dale Jarrett Ford near Charlotte, NC advertises $8000 off MSRP on the new 2008 Ford Taurus including all rebates. One example is listed at $16988! Fine print points out that not all will qualify for all rebates.
    Wow, Some big saving out there. Thanks everyone.
    I will post how my shopping goes when I start in in the next few months.
    It looks like Ford just raised the base price of the Taurus $240.
    The Limited is now 27470, was 27230, and the SEL is now $23485, was 23245.
    The destination charge is $750 on top of the above prices.
  • capellacapella Member Posts: 20
    Bought an '08 Taurus SEL (FWD) in MN for just under $21,500 plus TT&L (MSRP was around $24,700, including destination charge). I'm sure that's nothing amazing, but we received a decent trade on our minivan.

Other dealers elsewhere had better prices ($500-700 less) on similarly equipped vehicles -- one quoted us a price under $21,000. However, they were pretty far away and the one we checked didn't give as good an allowance on the trade, so it was close to a wash and we bought from the local dealer.

So far, so good.
    Bought a new 2008 Mecury Sable in Gastonia, NC. MSRP was $28875, and selling price $26314. Adding $700. tax, $99 tag/transfer, and $389 Doc fee the OTD price, after $2400 rebates and $3000 trade-in, was $22102.
    The buying experience was very good. I did a lot of the preliminary negotiations on the internet and telephone since the dealer was 40 miles from where I live. I was able to get a 5.99% 60 month loan, which beat the 2.9% Ford deal in which I would have had to give up $2000 of the rebate.
  • 7milehi7milehi Member Posts: 28
    What type of incentives can one expect for the 08 Taurus around August or September? Often when the new year models come out the big rebates show up on the prior year models.
    I would guess that the rebate available then will be at least as good as the present $2000 rebate. A local dealer is advertising 2008 Tauri at $6500 off MSRP (this may include rebates that not everyone will qualify for.)
    If I recall correctly, last year they also had "zero" % financing for up tp 60 months.
    When I bought my 2008 Sable in January, There was a $2400 rebate, or I could have gotten a 2.9% loan if I gave up $2000 of the rebate. You usually cannot get low cost financing in addition to all of the rebates.
    Is there a dealer like Fitzgerald that sells Ford/Mercury? A dealership that has rock bottom no haggle, no hidden fee internet prices.
    Has anyone bought a new Ford from Dale Jarrett Ford? They are advertising $7000 off msrp on new 2008 Taurus. My local dealer said there had to be a hidden gimmick in this price because he couldn't match it. He said if I could get a 08 Taurus for $7000 off msrp plus tax,tags & a reasonable doc fee I'd better jump on the deal.
    I think the $7000 off includes some rebates (military, etc) which most won't qualify. Also, there are some add-ons (pin striping, etc.) that boost the MSRP. The doc fee is $599. I shopped by there in January, but ended up buying a Mercury Sable, which had the features I wanted, about 30 miles away.
  • rbuescherrbuescher Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2008 Taurus, Ltd from Chris Auffenberg Ford in Washington, MO 63090. Sticker priced was $24,725. Purchase price was $19,000. I have been very pleased with this transaction, both from the standpoint of price and consideration received during the purchase. I have bought cars from them before and have always received courteous and honest treatment. They have also always provided me with excellent service on my vehicles. Their mechanical and body works in their shops have always been of the highest quality.
    Rom Buescher
    A Taurus Limited has a sticker of $27,620. Is yours an SEL?
  • marye1marye1 Member Posts: 3
    The dealership is the largest Ford dealerships in our area - Robinson Bros in Baton Rouge LA. While we were there (under 3 hours total including test drive), only maybe three other couples were there in sales rooms, and a handful outside looking. It was dead zone. But, that could be because it was the middle of the month. Or, things are looking bad for Ford, or car buying right now.
    Whatever. I had the most professional young lady sales person, who didn't apply pressure -- she really knew her product and let the car sell itself. My husband went there first, last Sat and looked at the car alone, then I went alone, and today we finally got there together. She was patient with us on all three occasions. Even today when I was trying to make my mind up between the Merlot and White. I'm glad I decided on the white. It's a striking car.
    Even the finance mgr was wonderful. They had an internet price which equalled invoice. Options were: Leather, Sirus, Sync, reverse sensor and interior convenience pkg.
    I believe these folks have to eat too, so I'm happy paying invoice. As I stated, the finance mgr was amazing. He made offers of various insurances and warranties but didn't push. Aside from the price of the car, tax (which at 9% is a killer), title and license -- not one other extra charge was added on. Title and license were right at $200, which is very normal. No mop n glo, no pressure. A totally refreshing, almost surreal experience. I feel like I got a good deal, and didn't have to suffer a stroke with anyone over price. Of course, I didn't have a trade in and that helped.

We did get the 0% financing. I am thrilled about that beyond words.

I love this car. I was concerned about the gas mileage, but I'd rather be safe in a larger car. Also, my husband is very tall and simply can't fit in the small cars. Even not broken in, we averaged 19 mpg driving around town after the purchase. :)
    Currently appears to have a $500 rebate, so wiggling $500 under invoice still leaves them their 2-4% holdback.
    Mine had a $750 rebate because I chose the 0% financing. It is $2000 if you don't use FMC, and $2750 if you use FMC, but don't get the low apr.
    Holdback? Let them have their 2 to 4 %. I don't negotiate on holdback. In my experience, that only sets up a hostile negotiation, therefore an even more miserable buying experience. I'm happy with the deal.
  • capellacapella Member Posts: 20
    Glad to hear you like your new car. We have around 6K on ours now, and if you drive conservatively and don't speed, over 30 MPG on the highway is quite doable.

We live in a very hilly city, so MPG in town has been around 17-22 lately depending on how much hill climbing is being done.
    Thanks for the mpg info. We are in La, so totally flat terrain here. I've been averaging 20 mpg city, so I'm happy.

More on the price: One thing that did influence my not negotiating further on the price was that this car had just arrived there in March. It was only one of three on the lot with Sync, that also happened to be in the color and exact options I wanted.
    I am very happy (lucky) they already had it on special. Otherwise, I might have not negotiated as well. My husband is NOT a good negotiator at all. He is happy with a few hundred off MSRP. :confuse:
    I on the other hand, am usually not tied emotionally to any car enough to be beaten down. I've negotiated till happy, and then got up to walk away when they try to get me with the mop n glo or overdone doc fees. This time was so refreshing, it was surreal.
  • bennyheelbennyheel Member Posts: 3
    Since I commute in Atlanta 80 miles roundtrip each day, I had been driving a 98 Mercury Grand Marquis which averaged 24 MPG. This weekend the heater coil went out (coolant smelling smoke coming out of the vent) and I didn't want to pay $1000 to fix it. Fortunately, over the past few months I have been researching and test driving cars, because I had to act fast. After visiting one dealer who did have much of a selection, I visited another who had a used 2008 Taurus Limited with 27K miles for $16,900. While test driving that car, they test drove my Mercury. When they got back, I noticed a river of coolant flowing under my Mercury. I was stuck, I had to buy a car from this dealer, no way I could drive it off the lot.

I ended up getting from that dealer a new Taurus SEL with leather, adj pedals, sirius, interior convenience package, back up sensors, etc. with a sticker of $26,395 for $4000 off invoice. The car now has 625 miles on it and the trip computer is showing it is averaging 26.5 MPG on 80% highway driving 60-65 mph with the A/C on. It would probably be higher if not for those stupid ramp meters which made me creep along for about 20 minutes right after I filled it up and reset the computer. My insurance only went up $100/yr.

Also, I've noticed that a lot of the dealers were did not have much of a selection of Tauruses and Sables. One salesman told me that this is the time of year that they stop production on the 08's and start building 09's. If that is the case, people who expect to wait until September to take advantage of the "year end clearance sales" may be disappointed to find that the 08's sold out over the summer. If you are looking to buy, now might be the best time.
    I've had a hard time finding Tauri as well, although one dealer told us they expect a shipment next week, including something like eleven vehicles.
  • bennyheelbennyheel Member Posts: 3
    "Tauruses" or "Tauri". Somebody once posted in the Vent of the Atlanta paper "If I have two Lexus vehicles, do i have "two Lexuses" or "two Lexi"? Someone responded, "what you have are two Toyotas, buddy."
    Haha, great answer.

I think its safe to say "Tauruses," I just call them "Tauri" in fun, or when speaking in person, otherwise, all those esses (Ss?) could lead to some serious spitting! :)
    I'm waiting to hear back on a quote for a base model SEL Taurus, brand new.

What should I expect? $2000 rebate, I know. We're hoping for $20,000 before taxes.
    Latest quote: Taurus SEL, Convenience Package, Leather, Sync

MSRP $26,615
    OTD Quote $22,000 (taxes are a little over $900)
    Town & Country Ford in Bessemer, Alabama - they've been great so far!

Another dealer (Long-Lewis Ford) offered base SEL Tauruses with no options for $20,000 + tax (amounting to near $20,900). The better-equipped one is actually the better deal. Approximately $2,300 worth of extra equipment for only $1,100 more than the base model at the competing dealership.
    Hi all. My folks purchased their new Ford Taurus SEL today. It is equipped with leather, the convenience package (Auto Headlamps, Power Driver's Seat, Dual Climate Control, 6CD/MP3), SYNC, and Sirius Radio. MSRP - $26,615.

First, the pricing.

Was given an initial offer of $22,000 Out the Door, and after passing it on to my folks, they were happy with that. No negotiating necessary. The breakdown on pricing looks like this:

2008 Ford Taurus SEL, Silver Birch over Stone, 21 miles on the vehicle.

MSRP : $26,615
    Dealer Price : $24,844
    Customer Cash : - $2,000
    Manufacturer to Dealer Cash : -$2,000
    Doc Fee - $199
    TTL - $957

APR - 4.54% (Fantastic Credit)

Final Price - $22,000 OTD
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    Sounds like your folks got a great deal. Haven't had a chance to drive one yet but the vehicle sounds intriguing as I'm looking for a vehicle that can handle putting a wheelchair in without having to take it apart.
    The best part was that there was no haggling whatsoever. I called my dealer, and was asking if it'd be possible to get out the door on a base model for $20,000; since they had a more loaded model, he offered 22k, and we immediately accepted.

Nobody had mentioned that there was $2,000 factory to dealer cash to play with, on top of the $2,000 rebate.
  • oralbertroralbertr Member Posts: 9
    The dealer is offering $2K off MSRP, plus $2000 in Ford-to-customer rebates ($1500 + $500 from Ford Credit).

So for 2008 Taurus FWD SEL with MSRP of $26,615, the price from them will be:

$26,615
    - $2000
    - $2000
    --------------
    $22,615
    + TAX
    + $115 Doc fee
    + $45 Title & Registration

Does it sound reasonable or they are trying to rip me off?
    The Graduate posted (post # 45 above) the following: In other words you should get $4000 off Invoice not MSRP. It looks like he bought the same car/options you are looking at.(Ford is giving the dealers $2000 in addition to the $2000 customer rebate on each car.)

2008 Ford Taurus SEL, Silver Birch over Stone, 21 miles on the vehicle.

MSRP : $26,615
    Dealer Price : $24,844
    Customer Cash : - $2,000
    Manufacturer to Dealer Cash : -$2,000
    Doc Fee - $199
    TTL - $957

APR - 4.54% (Fantastic Credit)

Final Price - $22,000 OTD
    I know that there was dealer cash (not rebates) through June 30, but I don't know if it carried through to July or not.
    Local ford dealer seems to insist that there's no manufacturer-to-dealer cash on 2008 Taurus which they are aware of.... Are they trying to take me for a ride?...

-albertr
    I know there WAS cash until June 30th. Ford may not have extended it into July; I honestly don't know, since our deal was done before that went away three weeks ago.

Sorry I'm not more help. My only suggestion is to try and beat the price with a different dealer. Request a no-haggle quote with the price-broken down into their price for the Car - Rebates + TTL.
    Thank you for your help, I appreciate it! Just trying to see if anyone knows about current ford-2-dealer cashbacks...

-albertr
    This forum stays pretty quiet (trust me, I was in the same boat you were a little while ago! Hopefully more people will wake up!

Feel free to check out the mainstream large sedans comparison as well. It has a lot of owners of Tauruses and its competitors.