Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda CX-7 Engine Problems

antzpattiantzpatti Member Posts: 2
I have an 07 CX-7 that I bought in April. I took a 6000 mile trip this summer and could not have been happier with the comfort and performance of my vehicle! Two days after I arrived home...I noticed a grinding noise when I started it up. It was happening everytime I would start it so I took it to the dealership. They had it for 3 weeks! First they said it was something to do with the timing belt so they had to pull the engine and replace it (it took several days to get the part in). After all of that the noise was still there. They talked to the "hotline" and decided to replace the entire engine! This took several weeks for the engine to arrive! After it was installed I had several "kinks" to work out. The electrical system seamed to freak out a bit. I have had nothing but problems ever since!

I am in the process of trying to settle with Mazda and the BBB Lemon Law Dept. I want a new vehicle but they will not budge! They are offering me an extended warranty or $2000. I am not happy!

I drove a 2002 Hyundai Sante Fe for 5 years, 90k miles and NEVER had it in the shop for anything. I wish I had replaced it with another Sante Fe!!!!

Comments

• pbear9pbear9 Member Posts: 2
    Same thing happened to me - engine replaced at 15200 miles. I have been out of my car for 34 days now since purchasing 14 months ago. Am in the process of arbitration with Mazda. Wish me luck.
  • sproudsproud Member Posts: 1
    I have 36,380 miles on my Mazda CX-7, 2007 and the Mazda dealer says that I need a new engine, due to lack of maintenance. I only had the car for 3 months, it was in under warranty the first week for a new A/C compressor, then in again for a new r/headlight replacement/wiring and all - due to something electrical. Now it needs a new engine. Mazda says all four cylinder walls are scored and the timing chain is off. They blame the previous owner, but there is no proof one way or another. I have been on other forum sites and I am not the only one with this problem! Someone emailed me two days ago - he HAS all of the maintenance & oil change receipts and MAZDA STILL says they won't do anything, "due to lack of proper maintenance" - HOW CAN THIS BE????????????
  • howardruhowardru Member Posts: 155
    The warranty expires on 3 years or 36,000 miles. You've obviously passed the 36K mile warranty.

With that said, even with the proof of service records, Mazda legally doesn't have to do anything for you. Now, in reality, they really should with only a few hundred miles over the warranty AND you have complete proof of service records.
    Have them call in the Mazda regional manage to review your situation. As a matter of good faith, they really MUST replace the engine. If they don't then call your local consumer advocate (TV, newspaper) and get them on the case. Nothing like bad publicity on TV to get your problem resolved.
    soooooooo glad I got that extended warranty for piece of mind
  • leggworkleggwork Member Posts: 1
    you're assuming that the ext warranty vendor won't give you the same runaround on coverage?????
    They can try, but I keep all the documentation and know how to get them to see the situation from my drivers seat..... I've fought that battle before and consistantly win...
    This is the plan that I got for my CX-7

http://www.authorizedfordwarranties.com/mazda/plan-TotalCare.html

You can get a quote for your car in this system but these are "list' prices. They have the 120/100 for a CX-7 AWD under 25K miles for $2187. Think I paid $1600 at the dealer.
  • desertgirl1desertgirl1 Member Posts: 3
    Well I've spent most of my morning searching for others who are having the same issues I am having with my CX -7 (07) and I have to say that surprisingly I have been able to find a lot of people with similar issues. BTW the warranty for the power terrain is 60,000 not 36,000. My vehicle is still under warranty and Mazda is also claiming that even though the timing chain broke and the VVT acuator that the engine damage was due to lack of maintenance not due to the breaking of the chain. It sounds like as consumers we have to stand up and fight these bullies! I'm a single mother, work hard for my money, and now I have to pay a car that doesn't run! Its been in the shop since May so I have now been out of a car for 4 months even though I pay my monthly payments, pay my vehicle insurance, I still have no vehicle. Oh and by the way I did purchase the extended warranty but that does you no good if you're car still falls under the original warranty.
    Powertrain is not the engine.

Powertrain is the transmission system or AWD system for turning the wheels.

A timing chain break (which seems to be very suspect) is an engine failure, not drive train failure, thus a timing chain failure is only covered under the 36K mile warranty.

Any, I would recommend that you contact this person at the USDOT and let him know of your issue, and that of the dozens of other owners who are having this problem with the 07 model.

Derek L. Rinehardt
    Safety Defects Engineer / Federal Investigator
    U.S Department of Transportation
    National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
    Office of Defects Investigation, Vehicle Controls Division
    1200 New Jersey Ave, SE
    W48-219, NVS-213
    Washington, DC 20590
    Office: (202) 366-3642, (877) 536-8368 x63642
    Fax: (202) 366-1767
    Email: [email protected]
  • niko61niko61 Member Posts: 3
    Per Mazda website:

Powertrain Warranty Parts List
    The listed below are the powertrain components covered under the Powertrain Limited Warranty:
    Engine
    Cylinder Block, Cylinder Head, and All Internal Lubricated Parts (Piston engines)
    Rotor Housing and All Internal Parts (Rotary engines)
    Timing gears
    Timing chain/belt and tensioner
    Timing chain/belt front cover and gaskets
    Flywheel
    Valve Covers
    Oil Pan
    Oil Pump
    Intake Manifold
    Exhaust Manifold
    Engine Mounts
    Turbocharger Housing and All Internal Lubricated Parts
    Supercharger Housing and All Internal Lubricated Parts
    Powertrain Control Module
    Water Pump and Gasket
    Thermostat
    Fuel Pump
    Seals and Gaskets
    Freeze Plugs were not added
    Transmission and Transaxle
    Transmission Case and All Internal Parts
    Torque converter
    Clutch Pressure Plate
    Transmission Mounts
    Transfer Case and All Internal Parts
    Transmission/Transaxle Control Module
    Front/Rear Drive System
    Final Drive Housing & all Internally Lubricated Parts
    Manual and Automatic Hub (4X4)
    Front Wheel Hubs and Bearings (FWD Transaxles)
    Rear Axle Housing & all Internally Lubricated Parts
    Axle/Drive Shafts
    Propeller shaft (RWD and AWD only)
    Universal Joints
    Constant Velocity Joints
    Rear Axle/Hub Bearings (RWD and AWD only)
    Seals and Gaskets
    OK. I'm completely wrong. Thanks..
  • maytagmanmaytagman Member Posts: 2
    So just returned from Mazda dealer my complaint was the engine sounds like a diesel ticking noise , At first they said it sounded normal then another tech came over and stated that it sounds like a chain slap noise ,After they removed the manifold they determined that the engine had jumped time and that the timing chain needed to be replaced requesting for me to provide the Oil change receipts or neither they nor Mazda would cover the repair ( who keeps these receipts ) So a couple of questions other than this noise the car runs great , 1) if it has jumped timing shouldn't the engine light come on , 2) It only has 27,000 miles Do I really need to provide receipts of past oil changes , Which I can get , But what about if I changed it myself .

Thank you
    Bill
    Infortunately, the 2007 model year seems to be loaded with engine and turbo problems that occur prematurely and very early in the life of the car. Just take a look at all the message boards about the engine problems. Check out

www.mcx7.com and www.mazda247.com

#1) That is a good question. One would think that the CEL would light up with such a "dramatic" event. A timing belt should be replaced periodically per the owner’s manual specifications. It may have worn and stretched just enough to slip over a cog a bit. The dealer must remove the timing belt covers and check the alignment of your cam and crank. If it really jumped, there should be subtle marks on the cogs and the rear cover or casting. The compression will be good during a cranking test, but will not be ok during a running compression check. If that’s the case, they should replace the timing belt and check the pulleys. If your timing belt did not slip, the timing chain tensioner or guide shoes may be worn and will require replacement Either way, this seems to fall outside the normal replacement guidelines and I would consider this a premature failure of the system.

2) Yes, for them to honor their warranty they have been demanding proof of service which based on the owners manual is oil change every 7,500 miles. If you have done them yourself then you need to show sales receipts of 6 quarts of oil and an oil filter on the sales receipt dates about every 6 months or 7,500 miles. If it is not a problem to get the sales receipts, then just do it, so you leave nothing to chance.

Good luck!
  • gentemiogentemio Member Posts: 13
    In August while travelling down Route 95 in Delaware, the CX-7 going at speed of 60 shut down. Car had to be wrestled to side of the road as everything died and there could have been a horrible crash. Car towed 125 miles to dealer. Timing chain broke at 73,000 miles. Dealership said it happens. Needed to replace the engine at a cost of 7,000. Wrote letter to Mazda citing fact a timing chain would eventually need to be replaced but not at 73,000. Mazda had no compassion and refused to give any break due to mileage. Three thousand miles later and a month later, turbine failed. They wanted 3,500 to fix it. Called Mazda explained problem first the engine then the turbine. Probably happened due to lack of maintenance. Wrong I have all the receipts. They didn't care. Mazda said we will call you back. Never did. Got rid of the car at a loss. We will never buy a Mazda again. We never even saw the service manager at the dealership. Mazda USA was non-responsive :sick: . There is something wrong if both the engine and turbo fail at the mileage they did. Oh yeah they refused to pick up any cost of the rental car. No more Mazda.
  • desertgirl1desertgirl1 Member Posts: 3
    Thank you for that great info. I will definitely call him before my hearing which is scheduled for Tuesday the 3rd of Nov. I am so tired of dealing with this issue. I haven't had a car for so long. Its awful when you play by the rules, struggle and fight to give your kids a good life and then something like this happens to make things more difficult! Its a bit overwhelming at times. Thanks for all the input.
  • mmasterson1mmasterson1 Member Posts: 2
    I am so glad to read this comment about the timing chain. 2 weeks ago I was on a trip(to St. Louis from Tulsa, OK) and a "knocking" noise started once I was on the highway at speed (70 mph) and I was losing power intermittently while accelerating. It continued for about an hour and I found the nearest authorized Mazda dealer (Reliable Mazda in Springfield, MO) and stopped to ask. It was close to closing time on a Friday evening. The Service Manager made a cursuory check, and "conveniently" thought to check the timing chain by opening the oil reservoir cap and visualy inspecting. He said it looked fine. I asked him to describe to me the "symptoms" of a timing chain that is not operating correctly (ie. slipping, etc.). Everything he described made it sound like a timing chain issue. I asked how serious it looked and his exact words, "well, coulld be or couldn't be" I asked him what I should do and he replied,"well, you can continue or your trip or not, I just don't, but it could be fine." So, being late my wife and I set back out, not 20 mins later the timing chain failed. The car is 2.5 years old with just 34k miles on it and regular maintenace. Although I am in the similar situation with Mazda Warranty in that I have 2 verifiable oil change receipts. But they HAVE denied my warranty claim. After speaking with the District Service Manager for the region that works directly for Mazda USA and not the dealer, he explained that despite the owners manual having the oil changes at every 7500 miles it should be no more than 3-5k miles because the turbo engine is HARD on the timing chain. I'm sorry but us poor, dumb consumers are not certified technicians on high performance turbo charged engines. After reading this and a couple other stories about this EXACT same issue, I believe that Mazda engineered an inferior timing chain for the stress that the 2007 model year engine places on it.
    I have filed complaints with the BBB against Mazda USA, as well as, the California Attorney General. I have also sent complaint letters to the following people:
    James O' Sullivan - President and CEO, Mazda North Am Ops
    Yasuo Kunita - VP Customer Service, Mazda North Am Ops
    Eric Johnston - VP Sale, Service, and Parts, Mazda North Am Ops
    Blase De Leo - Regional GM Southeast Region, Mazda North Am Ops
    Ron Stettner - Regional GM Midwest Region, Mazda North Am Ops
    at the following addresses:

10 Corporate Park, Ste 200
    Irvine, CA 92606
    and
    7755 Irvine Center Drive
    Irvine, CA 92618

I recommend that every person suffering from this systemic issue do the same and apply the very appropriate pressure on a car company that has made a great car but with inferior engineering. Warranty will repair this issue and make sure it does not happen again. Anyone else suffering this issue please contact me at [email protected] and we can coordinate a strategic camapign to resolve this issue for other American in this situation.
    Thank you for the infomation on the corporate officers. I also filed a complaint with the Nathional Highway Transportation Safety Board.
  • maytagmanmaytagman Member Posts: 2
    Heres one for you Brought the car to the Mazda dealer in Danvers Ma. where I bought it just 24 months ag now 27, K miles later Complained about ticking noise They took the valve cover off determined Engine sludge told that this caused it to jump timing and that they would have to take pics and have Mazda review to see if they would cover the repair ,Also asked me to provide the oil changes for the past 24 months which I di ( 5 of them ) aprox evry 3,500 miles Told me to drive the car home and park it, Well the car runs great so I dropped it by the local certified garage They said it needed a good oil change and the timing is fine . Still waiting for the Dealer to call me and bring back to have the repairs they tell me that Mazda will not cover this in warranty , So being the smarty pants that I am I bring it to another Mazda dealer and pay them to check it out . They listen to the engine and take it for a test drive Top guy says what are you crazy Nothing wrong with this car . They then call me at work later on and clue me in that According to Mazda they revoked our engine warranty after looking at the pics from the previous dealer ,So a misdiagnosis by the dealer has cost us our warranty . Yeah like I'm gonna let this one droppppp. Good thing I was able to get my oil receipts from the three different companies that changed the oil The second Mazda dealer is going to bat for us Stay Tuned ...and wish us luck
  • mmasterson1mmasterson1 Member Posts: 2
    If you read mine that is exactly what happened and here is one better for you. At my 30,000 mile oil change the Mazda Dealership said there was sludge. But I had properly maintained the engine, so I had them clean the sludge. Then the incident with the timing chain breaking occurred at 34k miles, heres the kicker, when the Mazda dealership I towed it to opened it up... you guessed it SLUDGE. And of course they are citing improper maintenance as the reason. BUt how can an engine have more sludge f it has been cleaned. Assuming the cleaning was done, that means the engine must burn oil at an outrageous rate and producing the more than average sludge. Combine that with the multiple notations that the turbo engine of the CX-7 produces extreme pressure and heat (direct statement from Mazda white papers and Mazda District Managers) that equals...drumroll...an engineering defect!
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Sorry, turbo engines are ALWAYS defective, far from an optimal design, VERY far.
    You've done everything I would do except for one thing.

Here in Boston, some of the local ABC, CBS and NBC news affiliates have a consumer advocate that reports on scams or bad business. These spots are run during the evening news. Ild call them and have them show up a the Mazda dealership or perhaps they can call Mazda USA and see what response they get now.

I'm truly hoping these problems have been resolved in the 2009 model.
  • boesman1boesman1 Member Posts: 47
    Here is a GREAT idea if you do not get the resolution you desire in this situation. Go and park your car outside the dealers entrance on weekends and tie a bag of lemons from every door handle on the car. In addition write a BIG sign that says Mazda sold me a lemon and wont fix it. I guarantee this will capture the attention of the service manager to resolve the issue. In the meantime drive all around town with the lemons hanging from your door handles. No making lemonade here, this is just sour business practices that need to be stopped.
  • ajcooperajcooper Member Posts: 1
    My 07' Mazda CX-7 just had the same problem on the 13th, and guess what the dealership said the same thing due to improper maintanence which isn't the case at all, why should I have to go back and search 2 years worth of records for them to tell me tough luck, I am seriously looking into a class action lawsuit, has anyone looked into this already?
    I do not think anyone has looked into a class action suit. When I put my problem out there with the engine and then the turbine I did not know how many cars had a problem. I have all my records for oil changes and work at the dealer ship. They just did not want to see them.
  • mccpatrimccpatri Member Posts: 3
    I Just replaced my engine at 42000 miles with no help from mazda. Has anyone had luck gettintg through to them or hearing back? They used the same "lack of maint." deal with me, even though I bought it used and only owned it for 8 months. I had to pay another mechanic to replace the engine. I don't have money for lawyer . . .any suggestions?
    Yes, in the future stay well away from turbo charged engine, ESPECIALLY second hand.

The words "TURBO" and "TurboCharged" are a well known attractant for those of the "boy-racer" mentality, if not actual "boy-racers". They do not treat their cars/engines well and probably remove all of the aftermarket GU-GA, evidence, prior to resale.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Mazda knows there is a problem with engine sludge. Mazda has allerted their dealer network as well. I'm just curious as to what they are going to do about it.
  • mycx7failedmycx7failed Member Posts: 2
    Add me to the list. My CX-7 has failed and dealer wants $90 per hour just to diagnose problem. After only about 30-45 minutes of research, I have come to believe that consumers may have grounds for a class action lawsuit against mazda. This vehicle is horrible.
  • mycx7failedmycx7failed Member Posts: 2
    BTW, this is a 2007 with about 70k miles on it.
  • antzpattiantzpatti Member Posts: 2
    I am the original "poster" of this message.....still have my 07 Mazda....still having problem after problem with the darn thing! I would be very happy to be added to the class action lawsuit list when it comes available.

Good luck to all.....I know I have learned not to ever buy another Mazda!!!

Happy Holidays!
  • cx7lovercx7lover Member Posts: 90
    The grinding at startup noise is a simple VVT actuator problem.. your dealerships must be extremely clueless.
  • zcarmanzcarman Member Posts: 3
    +1 more for timing chain issues.... 57,600+/- miles

I don't have the details yet - except for the '07 CX-7 started losing power and making strange noises. Luckily, we were only 3 miles from a Mazda dealer. Initial diagnosis was timing chain related (probably broken tensioner/idler since the engine was still able to run). Today, I received the call nobody wants to hear: "can you provide proof of oil changes". Ummm... no, I did almost all of them myself.
    I think I'm gonna be sick...
  • lulusboutiquelulusboutique Member Posts: 16
    My timing also went out said i needed new engine warranty out 75000k not true took it somewhere else timing out. mazda conroe tx refused and also lies about what is wrong found this online to day 1/29/2010
    bullentin.
    :mad:
    Page 1 of 2
    CONSUMER NOTICE: The information and instructions in this bulletin are intended for use by skilled technicians. Mazda technicians utilize the proper tools/
    equipment and take training to correctly and safely maintain Mazda vehicles. These instructions should not be performed by “do-it-yourselfers.” Customers
    should not assume this bulletin applies to their vehicle or that their vehicle will develop the described concern. To determine if the information applies,
    customers should contact their nearest authorized Mazda dealership. Mazda North American Operations reserves the right to alter the specifications and
    contents of this bulletin without obligation or advance notice. All rights reserved. No part of this bulletin may be reproduced in any form or by any means,
    electronic or mechanical---including photocopying and recording and the use of any kind of information storage and retrieval system ---without permission in
    writing.
    © 2008 Mazda Motor of America, Inc.
    Subject:
    VARIABLE VALVE TIMING (VVT) NOISE WHEN STARTING ENGINE
    Bulletin No: 01-002/08
    Last Issued: 01/16/2008
    Service Bulletin Mazda North American Operations
    Irvine, CA 92618-2922
    MULTI-MODEL - VARIABLE VALVE TIMING (VVT) NOISE WHEN STARTING ENGINE
    BULLETIN NOTE
    This bulletin supersedes the previous bulletin 01-043/07 issued on 11/29/07. The REPAIR PROCEDURE and
    PART(S) INFORMATION have been revised.
    APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS
    2007 Mazdaspeed3 vehicles with VINs lower than JM1BK******742222 (produced before April 1, 2007)
    2006-2007 Mazdaspeed6 vehicles with VINs lower than JM1 GG******109660 (produced before April 1, 2007)
    2007 Mazda CX-7 vehicles with VINs lower than JM3ER******166945 (produced before April 1, 2007)
    DESCRIPTION
    When the engine is first started, some vehicles may exhibit a loud ticking noise from the variable valve timing
    (VVT). This is caused by the lock pin of the variable valve timing actuator not fully engaging. Heat treatment has
    now been added around the hole of the variable valve timing rotor lock pin to prevent this from happening.
    Customers having this concern should have their vehicle repaired using the following repair procedure.
    Page 2 of 2
    REPAIR PROCEDURE
    1. Verify customer concern.
    2. After the engine cools down, replace the variable valve timing actuator. Refer to VARIABLE VALVE TIMING
    ACTUATOR REMOVAL INSTALLATION [L3 WITH TC] on MS3 or in the Workshop Manual section 01-10.
    Also, you may refer to the Training job aid “Engine Timing Verification and Correction LF 2.0L and L3/L3T
    2.3L” on MS3.
    3. Change the engine oil (5W-30) only, then start and let the engine idle for 5 minutes. This is to remove contaminants
    from the engine.
    4. After the engine cools down, change the engine oil (5W-30) and filter.
    5. Verify repair.
    PART(S) INFORMATION
    WARRANTY INFORMATION
    NOTE:
    • This warranty information applies only to verified customer complaints on vehicles eligible for warranty
    repair. Refer to the Warranty Wizard for warranty term information.
    • Additional diagnostic time cannot be claimed for this repair.
    NOTE: This repair calls for the oil to be changed two times. Please claim part number 5555-EG-003R with
    quantity 12 for the oil as a related part number.
    Part Number Description Qty.
    L3K9-12-4X0B Variable Valve Timing Actuator 1
    L3K9-12-429 Washer 1
    0000-77-5W30-QT Engine Oil (5W-30) 12 (Quarts)
    L321-14-302-9U Oil Filter 1
    Warranty Type A
    Symptom Code 82
    Damage Code 9C
    Part Number Main Cause L3K9-12-4X0B
    Quantity 1
    Operation Number / Labor Hours: XXC0YXRX / 3.2 Hrs. (CX-7), 3.3 Hrs.
    (Mazdaspeed3), 3.6 Hrs. (Mazdaspeed6)
    ;) Page 1 of 2
    CONSUMER NOTICE: The information and instructions in this bulletin are intended for use by skilled technicians. Mazda technicians utilize the proper tools/
    equipment and take training to correctly and safely maintain Mazda vehicles. These instructions should not be performed by “do-it-yourselfers.” Customers
    should not assume this bulletin applies to their vehicle or that their vehicle will develop the described concern. To determine if the information applies,
    customers should contact their nearest authorized Mazda dealership. Mazda North American Operations reserves the right to alter the specifications and
    contents of this bulletin without obligation or advance notice. All rights reserved. No part of this bulletin may be reproduced in any form or by any means,
    electronic or mechanical---including photocopying and recording and the use of any kind of information storage and retrieval system ---without permission in
    writing.
    Subject:
    VARIABLE VALVE TIMING (VVT) NOISE WHEN STARTING ENGINE
    Service Bulletin Mazda North American Operations
    Irvine, CA 92618-2922
    MULTI-MODEL - VARIABLE VALVE TIMING (VVT) NOISE WHEN STARTING ENGINE
    BULLETIN NOTE
    This bulletin supersedes the previous bulletin 01-043/07 issued on 11/29/07. The REPAIR PROCEDURE and
    PART(S) INFORMATION have been revised.
    APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS
    2007 Mazdaspeed3 vehicles with VINs lower than JM1BK******742222 (produced before April 1, 2007)
    2006-2007 Mazdaspeed6 vehicles with VINs lower than JM1 GG******109660 (produced before April 1, 2007)
    2007 Mazda CX-7 vehicles with VINs lower than JM3ER******166945 (produced before April 1, 2007)
    DESCRIPTION
    When the engine is first started, some vehicles may exhibit a loud ticking noise from the variable valve timing
    (VVT). This is caused by the lock pin of the variable valve timing actuator not fully engaging. Heat treatment has
    now been added around the hole of the variable valve timing rotor lock pin to prevent this from happening.
    Customers having this concern should have their vehicle repaired using the following repair procedure.
    Page 2 of 2
    REPAIR PROCEDURE
    1. Verify customer concern.
    2. After the engine cools down, replace the variable valve timing actuator. Refer to VARIABLE VALVE TIMING
    ACTUATOR REMOVAL INSTALLATION [L3 WITH TC] on MS3 or in the Workshop Manual section 01-10.
    Also, you may refer to the Training job aid “Engine Timing Verification and Correction LF 2.0L and L3/L3T
    2.3L” on MS3.
    3. Change the engine oil (5W-30) only, then start and let the engine idle for 5 minutes. This is to remove contaminants
    from the engine.
    4. After the engine cools down, change the engine oil (5W-30) and filter.
    5. Verify repair.
    PART(S) INFORMATION
    WARRANTY INFORMATION
    NOTE:
    • This warranty information applies only to verified customer complaints on vehicles eligible for warranty
    repair. Refer to the Warranty Wizard for warranty term information.
    • Additional diagnostic time cannot be claimed for this repair.
    NOTE: This repair calls for the oil to be changed two times. Please claim part number 5555-EG-003R with
    quantity 12 for the oil as a related part number.
    Part Number Description Qty.
    L3K9-12-4X0B Variable Valve Timing Actuator 1
    L3K9-12-429 Washer 1
    0000-77-5W30-QT Engine Oil (5W-30) 12 (Quarts)
    L321-14-302-9U Oil Filter 1
    Warranty Type A
    Symptom Code 82
    Damage Code 9C
    Part Number Main Cause L3K9-12-4X0B
    Quantity 1
    Operation Number / Labor Hours: XXC0YXRX / 3.2 Hrs. (CX-7), 3.3 Hrs.
    (Mazdaspeed3), 3.6 Hrs. (Mazdaspeed6)
  • dj119dj119 Member Posts: 10
    Hello,

How did your hearing go? I am going the same thing right now and was curious.

Thanks, DJ119
  • janell92071janell92071 Member Posts: 1
    SAME THING HERE! My mazda was taken in and they are claiming "sludge is the culprit, and wont fix is due to "lack of mantienacne. It only has 44,270 miles on it, THis is an outrage! MAZDA is scamming its comsumers. The 2007 model is a crap SUV and they need to own up to it! If anyone is interested on a class action lawsuit please contact me. This all happpend to me last week, and I am not finding out how they screw over so many other people. Just today they told me they would buy it from me for 3000, i laughed at them, and said so you can put a new engine it for nothing and sell it for 17,000! they are insane, and taking advantage of people, and I wont stand for it! They told me they could fix it for $10,000 i laughed again!!!
    My Car is fixed and DID NOT TAKE IT TO THE DEALERSHIP I took it to a well known mechanic you just need to find one that has the right machine to fix the Mazda C-X, timing chain broke, cracked the head gasket, bent 4 values and so on. Mazda dealership said I need a rebuilt engine for $7,500. because the motor is gone, well my car has been repaired and ready for pick up today Thursday 2.25/2010 total due $3,027.00, ($1,340.00 labor) but engine WAS NOT GONE NOR WAS IT FROZEN LIKE THEY SAID.

BEWARE OF THE DEALERSHIP TAKE IT TO SOMEONE RESPONSIBLE AND YOU KNOW HAS GOOD REVIEWS ON THE REPAIR SHOP... THEY WILL FIX IT WITHOUT TRY TO MAKE YOU BUY A REBUILT ENGINE

ASK THEM IF THEY HAVE THE RIGHT MACHINE TO FIX IT AND LET THEM KNOW THAT IT IS AN INTERFACE ENGINE..THEY WILL KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS.. GOOD LUCK

I AM SO READY TO PICK THE CAR UP. I WILL MAKE SURE ALL MY OIL CHANGES ARE DONE AT THE SHOP THAT JUST FIXED MY CAR AND NOT THE MAZDA DEALERSHIP..THE ARE FULL OF HORSECRAP. :) :shades:

SINCERELY,

CHRISTINA TEXAS
    (st,d)ealer's cannot afford to retain mechanics with enough expertise to tear an engine down and rebuild it and still pay their kids tuition at Harvard. Plus the profits from charging $7500 for a simple engine swap are a bit to hard to pass up when the opportunity arises.
    I wrote back in September, where they wanted to replace the engine for 7,000 and they then settled for 6,500. After that was done 3 weeks later the turbine went and they wanted another 3,000. I got 8,000 for it.
  • hec1893hec1893 Member Posts: 2
    i have a useless 07 cx7 with 39000 miles and a blown turbo mazda states there is sludge in engine and points to customers lack of maintenance not true have all my reciepts and sent them like they asked.they still will not warrant the turbo and say i have to pay around $9000 for a new engine and turbo.dealership in san antonio named ipac mazda owned by larry benson told me when i bought my vehicle new with 1600 miles that the 36000 mile bumper to bumper would extend to 37600 miles since i was the first owner not true according to mazda usa .nothing but head aches from this vehicle stay away from mazda and ipac mazda in san antonio,tx
    I am very much interested in a class action lawsuit against Mazda. I just had to pay 6500. for an used engine. I am going to dump this car as soon as I can. A course at a huge loss.
    How do we get started on the class action?

Diane
    Hello,

Did you ever get anywhere after sending letters to Mazda?

thanks, Diane
    I have been ready for a class action law suit...I have all my records of maintenance. I paid for a new engine and then the turbine....No calls back from Mazda...this is a dangerous situation which could be similiar to Toyota. Maybe we should start sending information to our Congressmen and Senators....
  • nace818nace818 Member Posts: 140
    edited March 2010
    I only bought my 07 CX7 about 5 weeks ago. I did a little research before buying and found that the EPA # were 17/23 I believe. I calculated my mileage this week driving about 68 mph all interstate and my mileage is only 19 mpg. Something has to be wrong with it. I can't drive it any easier. Is this about what everyone else is getting? Is something wrong with mine? It is AWD, but shouldn't I get cloder to the top number driving that easy?
  • mccpatrimccpatri Member Posts: 3
    haha. . . . I'm sure the majority of us would love it if our only problem was getting 19 mpg. We've all had to replace engines. . . or have vehicles which are disabled. . . .You should get in a time machine, go back 5 weeks, and purchase a different vehicle. Good Luck in the future with it.
    You are right. I plan to trade it this weekend for a 32 mpg Sonata.
  • hec1893hec1893 Member Posts: 2
    turbo,sludge,timing problems all will require you paying out of pocket even if you have service records,mazda will still blame you with thier famous line "still points to customer neglect and lack of maintenance.
  • missieselfmissieself Member Posts: 2
    my 2007 mazda cx-7 quit pulling and i took it to ron epperson mazda. they said the turbo was the problem and there was sludge built up due to lack of maintence. i didn't have but 39,000 miles on it. i told them they are crazy. then they wanted to replace my motor for $9500.00. the warranty would not cover it.so i am paying for a piece of crap that i can't even drive. it has been 6months i have just gave up mazda seems to not care. i will never buy another mazda. i am more than pissed. and the people in their california offices are the most rude people i ever had to talk and they can kiss my butt. william and melissa self in ringgold, georgia i would be more than happy to join your lawsuit against mazda.......
    So I guess if my turbo or engine fails, since I bought it used and don't have the previous owner's maintanence records, I'm sol? It could be some service depts. are the culprits?
  • fonefixerfonefixer Member Posts: 247
    Driving the same 2007 cx-7 AWD model. Achieving 20 mpg all city driving. 55000 miles. Don't think any worse than other 4000 lb. AWD vehicles during winter in town usage. A couple of tips about MPG: Have your front end alignment checked--mine was out from new-- now getting an extra 2 MPG. Check your tires--keeping at 37 PSI, can make a big difference. Of course regular oil changes, (every 3~3750 miles) helps keep everything running smoothly. Using premium fuel? Using regular on the '07 will actually decrease performance and MPG.