Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 Burns Oil

Comments

• 2006rav42006rav4 Member Posts: 1
    My 2006 Rav4 started burning oil at 57,000 miles. I did not notice it until one day the oil engine light flicks at 63000. My car had extremely low level of oil at the time of checkup. It falls into the engine/serial numbers that relate to the problem per the Toyota service bulletin. Now my dealer said that I need a new engine since it had passed the 5 year mark. Even though I have been taking my car to the NJ autoland dealer for service over the years, the service rep claimed that no techenican would have noticed it since the tech only drains out the oil when the time for oil change. No tech would actually check the oil level. What a shocker! I thought it would make a difference taking the car to the dealer for service versus the local garage.
    The image of Toyota builds the most reliable car has faded away in my mind. What a shame!
    Toyota should recall the cars fall into the service bulletin and have the problem fixed. Advise to all Rav4 owner, check your car oil level every month before the engine fails on you.
  • lizzie07lizzie07 Member Posts: 6
    I am interested in joining a class action suit. I started noticing problems in June of this year with my 2008 Rav 4. When I approached my dealer, I was ushered into their business office and was told to protect myself, I should purchase an extended warranty. They said they were 90% sure what my problem was and because my original warranty and run out, this was the alternative. I purchased the warranty (I had been looking to purchase an extended warranty anyway) and they did a couple of consumption tests. It was determined that I did have this problem listed in the TSB and they got approval from the warranty company and proceeded to replace my pistons and gaskets. The problem has been fixed for now but I have a monthly charge for the next year for a warranty that will probably run out about the same time I finish paying for it. I am looking to recoup the money I spent on the warranty because I feel the same as all of you that Toyota should have just fixed the problem. Please let me know what I need to do to join the class action suit.
  • rishyarishya Member Posts: 2
    My Rav4 started showing similar symptoms at around 50K. It started consuming about 4 quarts for every 3K miles. Toyota service center managed to send me back twice by refilling the oil. Finally at 57.5K I was very upset and shouted at the service manager saying that they didn't do the job right. Then, I decided to google and happened to visit this site. Thanks for providing the bulletin here. Again went back at 61.5 K. They said I am out of warranty. Finally, the service representative agreed that I complained at 57.5K. Now I am on consumption test for 1000 miles. If it consumes more than a quart I will get a new engine.
  • jingyeljingyel Member Posts: 6
    Hello,

I am looking for a use 2006 RAV4 TWD with only 30k on it.

My Vin number is JTMZD33V465032384
    which is not in the engine effective Vin list---JTM#D3#V#85209466; JTM#D3#V#86088135.
    Does that mean I don't need to worry about the oil burn issue?

I mean anyone found similar problem with Vin number not list by Toyota?

Thanks.
  • fatwalletuabfatwalletuab Member Posts: 1
    I noticed the probem when it had 70K miles on it, and when I found out the oil stick only got the tip wet, i went to NTB, and they told me my engine is about to fail soon, so I'd better sell before the value crushed to 1/3 of a working car, what a jerk. Then, I went to firestone, the tech told me although only the tip is wet, it should still have 2 qts remaining, so that's kind of relief for me. So I had firestone put in 5 quarts of high mileage engine oil, and it is about another 3000 miles now, and the oil level is at the minimun mark, now i read this thread, there has to be a class action against Toyota. 2006 Toyota uses camery's engine, if there's a class action filed in Luisiana in 2007, the 2006 toyota has to be eligible, but anyways, what is the procedure to file a class action, and we need to do this fast before the engines crush
  • vivaldi7vivaldi7 Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2012
    I got 2008 Rav4, 4 cylinder engine and only about 71 000 km.
    Car is still under warranty for another week !
    During my last summer trip , this car burned 2 L / 700 km.

Currently running through 4th oil consumption test with Toyota dealer.
    On first test it burned 1 L per 1600 km.
    Last time it burned 0.5L / 800 km.

Toyota Canada states that the 'Industry standard' is 1.5 L / 1500 km.
    So technically speaking they can do nothing.
    Thinking about arbitration and court case if nothing is done,
    will decide soon.
  • rishyarishya Member Posts: 2
    Update to case mentioned in message #54. My 1K miles test returned 0.8 quart consumtpion, which is within the limit. But my VIN was listed in their service bulletin. They kept my case pending for two days in discussion with the head office. Finally, they worked out with HO and and they got the approval. I got my car back yesterday after the fix. It costs around 4,500 for the fix if I had to pay. They also provided me with rental car for two weeks. (Wolfchase Toyota, Cordova, TN). Hope everything fixed.
  • lizzie07lizzie07 Member Posts: 6
    Yes, mines was repaired but I had to purchase an extended warranty which covered it. They also gave me a rental car for two weeks. I should have waited them out instead of purchashing the warranty but glad it is fixed. I am still interested in a class action suit since they should not be giving everyone a hard time since they know it is Toyota's fault.
  • khalidhkhalidh Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 rav4 still under warranty which is burning oil. Its funny how Toyota was the one that initially told me about car consuming oil (3L since the last oil change i did). I came in after 2000km as they requested and said it only burnt 0.7L which is under the limit. I find that weird how they tell me about an oil consumption problem then tell me it's not ENOUGH oil being burnt after. It's burning oil and still an unusual amount. Let me know what you guys decide to do.
  • justus6justus6 Member Posts: 10
    This is justus6. I just saw your msg. I had my gaskets changed but my problem still exist and is getting worst. I now have an extended warranty plan. Hopefully, they will authorize my problem to be fixed as well. I am ready to get started with the class action suit. Does anyone have a lawyer that they can ask about our issue and let us know how to get started?
    I am ready to get started with the law suit. We might as well jump in while they are dealing with the Rear Lower Suspension Arm recall. How do we get started. Do you know of a lawyer that could advise us how to get started?
  • ravnmadravnmad Member Posts: 15
    edited October 2012
    Hi, my story is similar to all of yours. My 2007 RAV4 engine seized a week after my wife noticed the oil light flicker on (96000 miles). At that time I had to add over 4 quarts of oil so I knew I was in trouble, it was bone dry. Mind you, I serviced my vehicle in reasonable intervals and never had a sign that anything was wrong (no dash lights, no oil leaks, no overheating, nothing!).
    Dead one week later. I had a used engine installed before I realized there was a TSB about oil consumption ($6100). Other options included $12000 new engine and $9000 for a new short block, both of which exceeded the vehicle value. When I asked how much they would give me for a trade-in as is, they suggested $1500. I was shocked to say the least.
    Now I come to find out that the replacement engine was manufactured in the same date range as the suspect engines listed in the TSB.
    I tried to reason with TCS but I am outside of warranty and they said they wouldn't help offset the cost because I didn't have my vehicle serviced by Toyota. I even tried sueing the dealership in small claims court, but they claimed that they had no obligation to tell the owner about the TSB and the warranty is a manufacturer issue (so I lost). I went as far as to write a letter directly to the President of Toyota in Japan (Twice). Unfortunately, these just ended up back at the Corporate office in California where the customer support team resides.
    I am extremely frustrated and when dealing directly with an Executive Analyst from the Toyota corporate office, I was mislead and finally offered a minimal amount as a peace offering as long as I signed a waiver to any future action (and I can't discuss the details of it outside of family).
    So, that's where I am today...to sign or not to sign? That is the question. As a customer, I mean nothing to them, but I'm desparate for any cost assistance. I don't know if there is enough people complaining to actually move forward in a class action suit.
    Fact, the Toyota 2AZ-FE engine was redsigned in 2007 with thinner piston rings and different piston design. There were other design changes but these are the ones that created the oil consumption problem.
    Fact, the TSB-0094-11 is directly related to the bad design. The repair includes replacing postons and rings (coincidence?)
    Fact, The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for this manufacturer to claim that because service was perfiormed outside of Toyota, the warranty is void.
    Fact, my 2007 RAV4 was defective from day one so that is before any warranty period.
    Fact, the District Service and Parts Manager (DSPM) decided not to help support my repair without ever looking at my vehicle. Getting in touch with this DSPM was a challenge in itself (untouchable). He finally called after almost 4-weeks from my request from day one in the shop, just to tell me I'm SOL.
    So, Toyota knows about a problem, ignores pleas for help and has the airogance to suggest that my engine failed because I didn't have it serviced by them.
    So, guess who's out of luck? Me and all of you. I never thought I was going to give up this fight but they are Goliath and I'm not David.
  • chiplexicchiplexic Member Posts: 1
    I just pulled the dip stick last night and found the level just barely reading on the tip of the stick. It took about 1 quart to get it to almost halfway up stick scale. I noticed over a year ago that I was down on oil between changes and at changes,which I do myself and I keep all receipts. I have approx 7 months and 5k miles left on 60mnth/60k warranty.

Sitting next to my RAV4 in the driveway is my 01 Chrysler Voyager with 112k. I pulled it's dip stick and it read about 3/4 full and I changed both vehicles oil on the same day....so much for paying extra for Toyota Quality :((
  • vivaldi7vivaldi7 Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2012
    Here is more to my story.

After all the hassle, engine in this car was fixed by dealer.
    However, my joy lasted only about 4 weeks. Sometime during week 5,
    I observed that oil level dropped again. By the end of week 6 it was down by almost 0.5 L or in other words it was half-way between max and min mark on the oil stick.

So I am back to square one, running through consumption tests,
    and growing in disappointment of Toyota.
    FYI, this car was manufactured in Japan. Millage is less then 45 000 miles.
    Dealer is not even sure if the warranty on the fix is 60 or 90 days !

To add more,
    7 days after my last visit at dealership service, for oil consumption check and refill, I discovered that there is too much oil in the engine.
    They overfill !
    They overfilled by about 0.5 L !
    Why ???

Can I trust them anymore ?
  • matt_18966matt_18966 Member Posts: 2
    My story (2007 Rav4) starts out the same as everyone else's - oil light comes on at around 60K miles, need to add oil frequently, consumption test, etc.

Fortunately I had purchased this vehicle from a private seller in 2008, and he had originally purchased a premium extended warranty policy. Everything is covered up to 100K miles with "0" deductible.

After "failing" the consumption test my dealer (Team Toyota in Langhorne, PA) took the engine apart and found a complete mess, and a new short block was needed or a replacement with a used engine. The warranty company knew they were on the hook, especially since my records showed that I had the oil changed on schedule since I owned it, but took their sweet time making a decision. So after a few extra days of waiting my rep. at the dealer read them the riot act and we finally got the engine rebuilt. So the $6000+ repair job was completely covered, and the dealer and the warranty company paid for the nearly 3 weeks of the "loaner" car.

I'm feeling pretty good right now, but I hope this engine lasts a nice long time. You just never know any more. Kudos to the dealer - I think the fact that they weren't paying for the repairs themselves made this a better experience than others since they were actually on my side.

- Matt
  • jacquegopidohjacquegopidoh Member Posts: 1
    Well I just found out the hard way about this oil buring issue at ~93,000miles.

I have been religious about changing oil every 3k mile and never though to compare teh volume out vs what goes in. This last change was closer to 5k as I got sidetracked and had not had a chance to change the wifes oil.
    I was shocked to see barely 1.2 qts of OW20 come out into my bucket!. How can the engine be down 75% in oil and NO engine oil light come on!. I am concerned I may have toasted the engine running it on such low oil. Thank you Toyota!
    The light just did start coming on but only under a hard brake as the oil would get pushed to the front of the oil pan. Under idle - no light. I just called the local dealer - of course they have never heard of it. Called the Customer service number as well to register a complaint. Now I'm worried the engine is going to blow!
  • somusomu Member Posts: 5
    My 07 with 53k has the same oil consumption problem. I am in for the law suit.
  • lauratxllauratxl Member Posts: 1
    Same problem as everyone else here with my 06 rav4 sport. Have had all maintenance through the dealer, take great care of the car. Went through the oil consumption test at 60k miles when oil light first came on. I was getting 1250 miles to the quart, Toyota said they would fix it at 1200 miles. Restarted the oil test at 80,000 miles. When I got home from the dealer the first day, I checked the oil and it was way high on the dipstick, they had massively overfilled the oil. So when I went in after 1000 miles they said I was now getting 2000 miles to the quart. I stayed with the car to make sure they didn't overfill and this time got barely 1200 miles before it was empty again. Broadway Toyota of Portland Oregon is clearly trying to cover this up, anyone else seeing dealers trying to
    Hide the problem? I'm going to start using twitter to see if Toyota will respond.
  • brincbrinc Member Posts: 3
    I am having the same problem. Unless we start a class action Toyota will not do anything about it.
    edited January 2013
    I'm sorry to hear of all these engine problems. I have tried my best to work with Toyota Corporate office and have been told that it's not a recall, therefore, there's nothing they will do. I will never buy a Toyota ever again and actually get nauseous when I see a Toyota commercial on TV. Their sales are rising so to all the existing owners...good luck.
  • fredy3fredy3 Member Posts: 27
    Hello , did you make and investigation to verify the original mileage of your car ?? perhaps there is something illegal concerning rewinding illegaly the meleage before saling to new customer ??? I know some thru story :shades: happen on recent toyota car,
  • csparkescsparkes Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2013
    Count me in an any class action suits because the drealer will NOT help at all.
    Over $2500 for new drive shaft and nothing done about oil consumpyion at all .
    In NL Canada.
  • matt_18966matt_18966 Member Posts: 2
    If you really feel you have a case why not just sue Toyota? You don't have to wait for a class action, for which you would get little $$ out of that anyway, after legal fees were subtracted. That is unlikely to ever happen because every car/owner is different. Many owners fail to maintain their vehicles. Not always Toyota's fault.
    Matt,

It's true that some owners might not maintain their vehicle as well as others; however, in this case, there is a definite design that was changed in the 2AZ-FE engines that is directly related to excessive oil consumption. The technical service bulletin describes the fix as replacing the pistons and rings, that is, if the damage didn't go as far as the short block.
    Suing the manufacturer directly is also a very expensive option, that is if you can even find out how to do that. I was working with one of their "Executive Analyst's" and it was impossible to work around this person. If you can get past this barrier, I'm sure their corporate lawyers would create quite the challenge.
    My best option is to lick my wounds and never buy another Toyota. It sounds trivial but if everyone that experienced a failed engine with zero support from the dealer or manufacturer, then collectively, it would make a statement. After all, they are just a big business and money is the only motivator.
    There was a time when Toyota was customer focused. It's too bad they are so ignorant today. In my case, it wouldn't have taken much to help ease my financial burden but instead they chose to hide behind the statement "It's not a recall" therefore they don't acknowledge the problem.
    I wish everyone luck in pursuing support. It was an expensive lesson for me.
  • jannafjannaf Member Posts: 1
    I want to join in class action suit, 2007 RAV 4 burning oil at 86,000. All maintence done at Toyota. Bought brand new and they wouldn't fix the problem unless a broken part in the engine.
  • gatlorgatlor Member Posts: 1
    I had this same oil consumption problem with a 2009 Corolla CE which I traded off 3 days ago for a Rav4 6 cylinder and I am hoping that the six cylinder engines do not have the same problem. I am interested to know from others with 6 cylinder engines are also experiencing problems.
  • javatechiejavatechie Member Posts: 11
    I have a similar oil burn problem in 2007 Rav 4 (4 cylinder) currently at 55k miles, This is the 3rd time I am taking the car to the dealer for the consumption test. My car is in extended warranty for 7 yr 75k miles.

I had the oil low indicator going on when i brake.

1st time the dealer (Woburn Toyota MA) said there is no issue and is within consumption limits. which I was not Ok with (I called toyota and they told me to take the car to the dealer again)

2nd time : The dealer said it bunt oil but is within consumption limit (In 1200 miles it went all the way from top of the mark to low mark in dip stick).

3rd time : I just left the car at the dealership it is really bad in 1100 miles the oil went from little above max level to close to the bottom end of the dip stick (far below the dip stick low level indicator).

I dont know what explanation the dealer is going to say this time, This is definitely a Toyota engine issue. I had done all my scheduled maintenance & oil changes at the same dealer so they have no reason to reject me.

I cannot keep changing my oil every 1000 miles once and hear from the dealer that it is withing the consumption limits, The dealer even tells me that I should be checking the oil every time I fill gas and top it off (which is unacceptable)

If someone is starting a class action, I will join too.
  • yanirayanira Member Posts: 1
    My 2006 RAV4 started burning excessive oil a year after I bought. My car now has 130,000 miles and I have to put oil every two weeks or risk damaging the engine. I want to be a part of any class action suit.
  • kratos68kratos68 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2013
    I own a 2008 Rav4 and my mileage is at around 73,000 my engine blow and cracked the Sansone dealership in NJ is trying every way to say it was my fault! I got my oil changed every 3,000 miles but not through Toyota now there trying to say its my fault and want receipts for every single oil change I ever did! I told them I don't have them and the Lube shops don't have any computers to print me out anything. There trying to make me pay for a $1000 just to look at the engine! I'm going to call the better business bureau and the news. I maintain my car I even have the extended 100,000 mile powertrain warranty and there still giving me a hard way to go.
  • phuaphua Member Posts: 1
    my 2006 RAV4 started to consume 1 quart oil per 1000 miles from 5000 miles although I had regular service. Please count me in if someone is going to initiate a class action.
  • sandyodsandyod Member Posts: 1
    I started to notice the oil thing at around 100k. I'm at 115k miles now and decided to trade it in. Just bought a 2012 Camry. The Rav has been a wonderful car up until the last 5k miles. It's too bad though because I had intended to pass it down to my daughter, she is driving a 2001 corolla, which is running better than this newer Rav . I won't pass it down now with this problem. It seems whenever I buy a new car big stuff starts to happen at 100k. Oh well. I hope it doesn't crap out on the way to the dealership tomorrow to get the new car ha!
  • jmbczajajmbczaja Member Posts: 1
    Bought 2008 Rav 4-brand new from dealership and had all oil changes and maintainance done through dealership. Had trouble with the car from first day-the whole car shakes after you come to a stop, like it couldn't gear down properly( they always said they couldn't feel it-What!!), and have continual problems with the cruise control surging to high speed even on flat ground like it's trying to go up a steep incline (even after the computer update, it still does it) In January, all my lights came on and my oil light stayed on even though it wasn't time for my service. I had my husband check the oil and it was almost empty. I took it to the dealership and they said they weren't sure why it was doing that and they did an oil change and said to bring it back in 1200 miles for an oil check. I took it in today and there was only 1/4 of the oil still left. They tried to tell me this was normal until I pulled up this forum on my iphone and showed them the info. I park in my garage and have never had a drop of oil on the floor so they said it was probably burning oil. They told me they couldn't do anything about it as my car has 80,000 miles and is now out of warranty - I had to call the 800 Toyota number. Toyota told me they could not help me with anything except they would give me a customer loyalty deal if I wanted to purchase a new car from them. Told them I would never buy another Toyota again. I asked them if my only recourse was filing a class action law suit to get some retribution and they said "if that's what you feel you need to do." I'm forced to trade in my car that I took great care of b/c Toyota won't stand behind their product and fix something they obviously did wrong with the engine. If a class action starts- I want in on it!
  • mihlmihl Member Posts: 1
    I have a RAV 4, turbo Diesel 2.0 Y2004, with 155.000 Kilometers. It consumes about 1,5 litres of engine oil per 6000 kilometers. The fresh oil is totaly black after about 2.000 kilometers. [non-permissible content removed] this Toyota!

Example: Kia Sportage 2.0 Y2000 with 175.000 Kilometers consummed only about 0,5 litres of oil per 10.000 kilometers (!). Will buy Kia next time again. :)
  • donr163donr163 Member Posts: 1
    According to a friend in the business (a long-time Toyota service writer), this excessive oil consumption is due to an oil ring issue that Toyota has known about for years. Apparently the oil rings, over time, gets caught up inside the ring groove in the piston and is not making contact with the cylinder walls as it should to scrape the oil back into the oil pan. The oil works past the compression rings above the oil ring and is burned during combustion. As far as I have heard this only happens on the 2.4 liter four-cylinder and not on the V6 engine. It's an appalling situation that would cost Toyota millions and they will not correct it voluntarily, as in a recall.
  • tmistaltmistal Member Posts: 1
    I am about to buy a 2008 Rav with a 4 cyl. What is your VIN or I can tell you mine, I may close the deal tomorrow. I want to see if this one is close to yours. I don't want to buy someone else's headache. Any help would be appreciated.
    This is justus6

Update- I had my oil consumption problem fix, the cost was about $3,600 bucks. The issues were pistons and oxygen sensor. Thanks to my warranty company, carchex, they paid $2800 for the pistons and I had to pay the balance for the oxygen senor, which was damaged by the oil issue. Did everyone receive and submit their claim form for the brake override system. PLEASE DON'T PROCRASTINATE. It will help our case when we decided to file. Since they are having so many documented problems and issues, we can definitely start our case for the oil consumption.

Also, I called Toyota headquarters today 3/15/2013, and asked are they getting in complaints about the oil consumption. And once again, they stated no. I am finding this hard to believe.
  • dave_kingdave_king Member Posts: 1
    My 2006 RAV is around the 90,000 mark and it has begun burning oil as well. Not to the extent of some of the other posters here, but it is definitely losing oil. I mentioned it at my last service (5000 miles ago) and they offered to track it for me, but I decided to do it myself. I will update them at my next service which is in about 900 miles. Perhaps if enough people complain, they will address the issue. I will subscribe to this thread to stay informed. Thanks!
    To save yourself some time, tell them to do the oil consumption test. This involves, putting a plastic tie on the oil cap. They will ask you to return at 1200 miles to check the oil. When you return they will check your oil to see how much you are burning and it lets them know that you have not applied any oil to the car. Please, Please, do not let them trick you, "HOUSTON YOU HAVE A PROMBLEM." You need to start your contingency plan now because it only gets worst. If you dont have $2800 bucks to spend, I suggest you get a good car warranty plan.
  • toyotafailedtoyotafailed Member Posts: 2
    I do have the same problem with my rav4/2006. Tomorrow I have to drop off the car at the dealer. They said they think is the pistons and since the guarantee ran out they will be covering for everything but $1000. Don't know if I should bring it somewhere else. Frustrating.
  • rav4stinkrav4stink Member Posts: 2
    If they would cover everything but $1000 I'd be thrilled. Mine was diagnosed with only 60 miles over the warranty and they wouldn't do a darn thing about it. From what I understand, to replace the piston and rings is about a $4000 job. No thanks, Toyota can have the piece of junk back before I drop that much into it. :mad:
    I agree with rav4stink. Not just with his screen name but also with the idea that $1000 is a good offer. I knew nothing about this condition when it happened to me and had a used engine installed for over $5000.
    The only recourse I have is to never buy a Toyota again. They clearly DO NOT stand behind their product as defined in the field book "The Toyota Way".
    They were ignorant during all my correspondence all the way up to their Executive Claims Manager.
    The fact is that there was a design flaw with the 4 cylinder engine that creates this problem. Very expensive lesson for me.
  • toyotafailedtoyotafailed Member Posts: 2
    Update. Very happy Lexington Toyota in MA is taking care of the $1000 they initially told me I would be responsible for. The girl that is working on this case said I have been a good customer and have brought in the car for every service the car is required. Dropped off the car today. They gave me a rental they will pay for also. Good luck to all of you. Hope your oil problem gets fixed. Come to Lexington Toyota!!
    It sounds like you will make out ok. It's nice that the dealership acknowledged your service records and I'm happy this worked out for you.
    There is a law that is supposed to protect the consumer from warranty claims rejected due to having service provided at shops other than the dealer (Magnuson Moss Warranty Act).
    One very big reason my dealership failed to help me was because I didn't have my vehicle serviced by them. I had service records from other shops that were more convenient for me to work with and had no idea this would impact their decision to help me. I also had to do all the fact finding myself because the dealership never mentioned that a design flaw could be the cause of my seized engine.
    I am still very bitter towards the dealership (Toyota of Batavia, NY) and Toyota as a manufacturer.
    They respond with support for a chosen few and leave the rest of us out to dry. Typical big business ignorance against the customer.
  • teresa60teresa60 Member Posts: 2
    I complained to the dealer about my oil light going on prior to my extended warranty being up. They told me they needed to do a oil consumption test. They did the test and then they told me Toyota's guidelines are that it has to be using 1 qt. of oil everything 1000 miles. My vehicle was not consistently using a quart every 1000 miles, so they said the extended warranty would not cover it. They also acted like they didn't know about any problems with this issue in other RAV's. My car now has 121,000 miles on it, and I have been adding about 2 to 2 1/2 quarts every 5,000 miles. I had the oil changed 1,222 miles ago, and I just had to put a quart in. So, now it's getting to that level. I see all of these complaints on line, and I also heard other people in the Toyota Service Center talking about having oil consumption tests on their vehicles. It appears there is a problem. I also had the issue with the steering column, and Toyota would not cover that. Toyota finally admitted there was a design flaw, but that it was only covered if the car was still under warranty. Of course, the clicking noise didn't show up until the car was out of warranty. I have been buying Toyotas because they have been rated as the "most reliable" vehicles! That is not the case anymore. They don't stand behind their products, and they won't admit they have even have problems! It's not like the oil issue is a minor problem! They have lost me as a customer! I will never buy another Toyota!
  • alittle2latealittle2late Member Posts: 4
    My confusion regarding this and other issues regarding 'known problems' by auto manufacturer's is why are we only notified about recalls and not all the TSB's (Technical Service Bulletins)? We have been loyal Toyota owner's since 1973, 3 used and 4 new. All have served us well and other than routine maintenance, done with due diligence, oil changes and simple stuff done by myself, we've remained loyal. We converted my parents and 5 siblings and spouses to Toyota lovers, as well! Our last purchase was our 2006 Toyota RAV4. About a month ago, with recall notice in hand, I visited the nearest Toyota dealership for recall repair. Since we've not had any issues with the vehicle, and I do all my own oil changes and any other simple stuff, never needed to seek one out. They told me when repair work was finished, that they needed to add oil. Then proceeded to tell me they wanted to do the monitoring, and went to explain why and what may need to be done in the event of excessive oil consumption. Really? We all should have been notified of this, and any other issues whereby a TSB had to be issued. We pay a lot of money for the car and the technology that goes into it. We should be given the same information the dealerships receive in order to have the repair done with a Toyota dealership, or a facility of our choice. To force car owners back to the dealership isn't fair, even a hardship for many. This is so wrong, on so many levels.
  • seattle11seattle11 Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone. Sounds like Houston (or Toyota) we have a problem!
    I'm an owner of a 2006 Rav 4, 4cylinder engine. I service my car regularly at the Toyota dealership here in Seattle. I service it every 5000 miles, where about a year ago i started noticing the oil light coming up after 3000 miles from my last service. There was no indication for oil leak so i was buffled. In my next oil change i mentioned it to the Toyota service man. At the time they looked for leaks, found none and told me to come back for a 120k mile service where they will look better. At the 120k mile service they again didn't find anything. At that time they recommended the oil consumption test. (what a joke!!!!) after coming regularly every 1000 miles for 6 months they told me that my car burns too much oil (3qrt every 1000 miles) and needs an engine re-haul! In my opinion, these were all buying time tacktics on Toyota's end. Now my car is a year older with a lot more miles on it, so it diminshes the problem. They can now blame the problem on age and miles. The miles put us all pass the warrenty.
    I've been talking with the dealership, but feel like i'm getting no where right now.
    They quoted me $10,000 for re-hauling the engine, and $6500 for a used one!
    So much for Toyota standing behind it's product.
    Anyone knows a good lawyer?
  • alittle2latealittle2late Member Posts: 4
    Whoa! Your costs far exceed any figures I've seen quoted while researching this issue. I'm still going through the monitoring so haven't been given a cost to repair quote. The dealership said they have had good luck getting Toyota to pay a good percentage, thus far. However, we only have 71,000 miles.
    My oil light never came on when the oil was low. It wasn't until my wife mentioned the light come on when she came to a stop, but it went off right away.
    The manual even suggests that this may happen and that there is no need to worry, just address it right away.
    When I checked the oil at that point, it didn't register on the dip stick. I bought oil thinking is was just under the point of touching the dip stick but was shocked when it actually took 4 quarts. That means it was dry and the light didn't stay on!
    So, not only did my RAV burn oil but the monitoring system didn't do anything to warn the operator.
    I hope that someday Toyota will take responsibility for this poor product. I too was a very happy owner until this happened. I had my oil changed regularly and I'll admit I may have driven past the 5000 mile mark a few times but to have an empty reservoir is totally ridiculous given the new technology. Even the oil manufacturers are improving the oil to the point that auto manufacturers are looking to extend required change intervals. In one article I read, Toyota was on the top of the list of manufacturers that support longer intervals. How can that be?
    I'll say it again; Toyota had a design change for the 4 cylinder engine that involved pistons and rings. The TSB solution is to monitor and repair as necessary. The repair is to replace...you guessed it...the pistons and rings. BRILLIANT!
  • mag75mag75 Member Posts: 1
    I noticed the exact same problem that you mentioned on May 2 2013 with oil light not coming on and monitoring system not picking up that the oil was low when i checked the dip stick it did not have a drop of oil on it. I drive a 2007 rav4. I took mine to the Toyota dealer ship they are going to do a 1200 mile oil consumption test. There is no reason why it should be burning that much oil. Is Toyota going to fix your problem? I have called the National Traffic and safety Administration and made a complaint. If they get enough people calling in making complaints they will do an investigation which could result in a recall.