Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 Burns Oil

Comments

• ravnmadravnmad Member Posts: 15
    I already contacted NTSA, EPA (for combused oil polution) and JD Power and the local news station. Toyota will not take responsibility for this. It cost me the price of a replacement engine (>$5000).
    I hope others have better luck getting support. I will never buy another Toyota. I know it's trivial compared to their annual sales but it's still one less sale I was going to make until this happened.
  • alittle2latealittle2late Member Posts: 4
    Is it possible that not all vehicles with VINs listed will not have an issue with oil consumption? So far, first 1200 miles has shown no loss of oil.
  • lizzie07lizzie07 Member Posts: 6
    Sorry that you had to come out of pocket. My dealer paid for everything including a rental car for 7 days while it was being repaired.

I have since traded my 2008 Rav 4 and bought another Rav 4.

I think it depends on what dealer you have but I would continue to fight this because Toyota should be taking care of this.
    I suppose it's possible that some engines perform better than others because it's a mechanical tolerance that causes the blow through of oil.
    I agree with lizzie07 in that a GOOD dealer would want to support their customer and push back to Toyota. In my case, the dealer made me feel like it was all my fault and that they didn't have a clue about this condition.
    It seems that this happens more progressively as the vehicle approaches the 50-60k mile mark. Regardless, my oil light never came on but once and the reservoir was empty by then and the damage was done. Bottom line is that any vehicle that consumes oil that much with todays technology is just a poor design. In this case, Toyota realizes the design flaw but opts to pick and choose who they help starting with whether you had your vehicle seviced by Toyota or not (which is against the law according to the Magnuson Moss Warraty Act).
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited May 2013
    "Before you say "hey, that's not fair" keep this in mind: why should the dealer offer any help on the manufacturer's behalf to customers that are not loyal to the dealer when having their vehicle maintenance performed? If you service your vehicle through an independent or aftermarket facility, what does the manufacturer owe you in terms of assistance?"

Different story if your vehicle is still under warranty.

The Secret Warranty

How Can a Technical Service Bulletin Help Me?
  • somusomu Member Posts: 5
    Just sold my 2007 Rav4. Goodbye TOYOTA and GoodBye Dealership.... who thinks burning one quart of oil per 1200 miles is OK. I am glad I am out of this before my engine or O2 sensor blow out. Just got a 2013 Honda CRV. Good Luck to all fo you.
  • gail53vtgail53vt Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I had same oil consumption issues listed above and at 99,000 miles had my engine replaced under my extended warranty (which everyone laughed at me originally for buying) with a used engine (under 20,000 miles). I started having some issues about 11,000 miles after engine was replaced. I now have 133,000 miles on my car and altho the dealership has been great working with me and has done another oil consumption test, it's too late to get the engine replaced under now expired 12,000 mile warranty. The oil consumption test showed that there is engine failure. I have taken the advice from one of the bloggers above and emailed a complaint to the Nat'l Highway Traffic Safety Administration so they could start an investigation which will hopefully lead to a recall. I noticed Camrys from 2007-08 are having same problems. I feel like I just lost the blue book value on my car. Who is going to buy it?
  • djmush1djmush1 Member Posts: 2
    Sparkley,

A favor to ask: could you please post the TSB (Toyota Service Bulletin) listing that you obtained regarding this particular issue, including all of the affected VIN #'s? I found the 2007 Rav4 TSB online @ toyotaproblems.com, but it did not list this issue.

Thank you very much in advance,

Jeremy Mush1
  • rav4rerav4re Member Posts: 1
    Hi. Thanks for your post. I was planning on contacting many of the agencies that you contacted and I saw that you already did it with little success... Do you mind telling me what state you're in? I'm in NJ and I'm completely frustrated with the same issue with my Rav4. Toyota does not want to budge on this and I'm stuck. Thanks!
    I'm located near Buffalo NY and the dealer I worked with was Toyota of Batavia. The dealership was useless in helping my cause.
    I have heard of some folks getting much better support from their dealers. They must have had better training in customer service or they were just compassionate people that understood that there was a big problem with the manufacturer that they were willing to fight for.
  • alittle2latealittle2late Member Posts: 4
    Just returned from Toyota service department after 1200 miles and the tech told me because oil was not down much, about a pint, we shouldn't spend the money to replace pistons and rings, just keep checking and adding oil when needed. Don't want to spend the money, but don't want engine problems either.
  • javatechiejavatechie Member Posts: 11
    edited June 2013
    My 2007 Rav 4 has 59,000 miles and still under platinum coverage extended warranty for another 3 months.

I am struggling with the Oil consumption issue for last 9 months. I had done all the scheduled maintenance and oil changes with the dealer and I was made to undergo almost 6 oil consumption tests by Woburn Toyota MA, Every time they sent me back saying it is within the spec ( even though the car burnt 1 quat in 1200 miles).

This time I went to Lexington Toyota MA, They agreed to use my own Mobil 1 - 5W20 synthetic oil and allowed me to watch it personally, I took pictures of the dip stick level (to make sure they fill only till max level in dip stick), I had them mark everything with a white marker and at the end of 1200 miles I checked again with the technician. The car was consuming little more than 1 quat.

Now I have called the Toyota financial svcs customer care and spoke to a few representatives and a supervisor, here is the update.

Toyota will cover the repair, if it is part of TSB0094-11 oil burn problem ( http://www.rav4world.com/tsb/2011/T-SB-0094-11.pdf ).
    I have to give the dealer a Customer Authorized Tear Down of the engine. If it turns out to be a TSB oil burn issue, Toyota will pay for it, if not I am liable for the tear down charges. I still do not know how much it costs or if the dealer will waive it for me. I will keep you posted here.
    Here is what I want to know from any of the experts here

1. My old dealer was using 5W30 oil in my RAV4 since around 15k miles even though Rav4 4 cylinder engine is supposed to use only 0W20 or 5W20 oil. Is the viscosity of the oil anything to do with the Oil Burn problem, Could they be using the higher viscosity 5W30 oil to suppress the oil burn problem till the warranty expires?

2. Is the Oxygen Sensor replacement related to the oil burn issue? I too had to replace the oxygen sensors a few months back.

I really wish Toyota made a recall for this, instead of making me undergo such a lengthy & painful process in spite of me spending ton’s of money on the platinum coverage extended warranty.
  • lizzie07lizzie07 Member Posts: 6
    When my dealer agreed to fix my problem, I was also told that if it was not the problem related to the TSB, I would be responsible for the tear down of the engine. I am not sure what to tell regarding whether you should authorize the tear down since my car was almost empty at the end of my consumption tests. Check to see if your vin number is part of the TSB.
  • djmush1djmush1 Member Posts: 2
    Greetings,

I checked out the TSB for this issue posted above (I requested that someone post a while ago); here it is again:

http://www.rav4world.com/tsb/2011/T-SB-0094-11.pdf

It looks like the TSB states that this issue is limited to 4-cylinder Toyotas. Has anyone experienced this issue w/ V6 Rav4's?

Thanks alot -
  • jenthomasjenthomas Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if there is a class action suit in the works? If so would you please forward me the information so that I can join? I'm so done with Toyota. Brought my first and last toyota!!!!
  • typesixtypesix Member Posts: 321
    Yes, the 5-30w is an attempt to slow down the oil consumption. Some Subaru owners are experiencing higher oil consumption with using 0-20w oil and some are trying heavier weight oils such as 5-20w or 5-30w.
    Thanks, yes looks so. another suggestion that Woburn Tyoyota was telling me to do for my RAV4 (60k miles) was to use a High Mileage Engine Oil - looks like that too may slow down the oil burn.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/Using_Higher_Visc- osity_Oil.aspx
  • jinniejinnie Member Posts: 2
    Jenthomas, have you filed a report at www.toyota.com & the www.nhtsa.gov, pls do so it you have not. Especially with the nhtsa.gov, once they have many complaints they can get Toyota to start doing recalls. I too have a 2006 RAV4 with the same problem. Thanks!
  • jinniejinnie Member Posts: 2
    Javatechie, don't waste your time with these Toyota dealers. I've tried changing oil and that didn't work either. These oil consumption test are also a way to distract you. Toyota knows about the problem. They been knowing it. go to www.nhtsa.gov and file a complaint. this is the only way we're going to get a recall on these cars and have it fixed by toyota. I hope everyone that has a RAV4 see this so this can start going. I was going to upgrade to a newer RAV4, but it they can't fix this, I will go somewhere else to buy.
  • joyspr13joyspr13 Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2013
    I am so glad I located this post. I am having the same issue with my 06 Rav4 with 4 cylinders. They did the last oil consumption test over the weekend and told me I need to rebuild my engine. They also mentioned that upgraded parts were recommended but that it wasn't a recall so it was my option if I wanted to do that instead. My vehicle already has 105000 miles so I am no longer under any type of warranty. I'm still waiting for a call on a price for all of this. I will be going to nhtsa.gov website to file a complaint about this as well.
  • neilpyeneilpye Member Posts: 8
    We are nearing 100K miles (08 Rav4), so we're out of warranty as well. The dealership I'd been dealing with quoted me $3,400 for the Technical Service Bulletin repair. I said 'no thanks'. So, now I buy oil by the 5 quart jug and check and refill as necessary. Pain in the rear end.

I filed my complaint with NHTSA, but I'm not expecting anything other than owning my last Toyota.
  • christinecalifchristinecalif Member Posts: 1
    I have 88,000 miles on my 2007 Rav4 and it burns through a quart of oil every 15000 miles. It's just barely out of warranty. I will call the National Traffic and Safety Administration. Thanks for the tip. My mechanic said we could try a lighter-weight oil before replacing the engine. : (
    Do I have to replace the whole engine? Is it worth it?
    edited July 2013
    Hi Folks, update on my 2007 Toyota Rav 4 oil burn issue

I have 59K miles on it, The car is still under 7 yr 75k mile platinum service warranty.

Earlier Woburn Toyota MA had made me do 5 consumption tests in spite of the extended warranty and rejected me that the burn is all within manufacturer limits.

This time I took it to Lexington Toyota MA - they did the test and my car burnt 1.3 Quats of oil in 1116 miles. The dealer was fair and allowed me to personally supervise the oil change and the final check as well.

The dealer agreed that there is an a problem and asked me to drop the car next week. Meanwhile I called Toyota they still would not promise coverage, They said the dealer needs to open the engine and only if it is found to be a covered issue, if so toyota will cover else I will be responsible for the engine tear down charges !.

I went ahead and gave the car to Lexington Toyota, they gave me a loaner car and got my engine fixed in 3 days - The pistons, piston rings, piston pins, connecting bearings, valve assembly, gaskets & etc were replaced.

Everything was covered under Extended Warranty and I didnt have to pay anything. The service adviser told that I was lucky because my car was still under warranty and the oil burn level is just above the tipping point and I pulled the right stings by talking to the right decision makers the Service Manager and Toyota Extended Care warranty people.

After the fix the engine now feels softer, The dealer has asked me to bring the car back after 1200 miles to make sure the prob is fixed once for all. The the job also comes with a 12k mile warranty on the engine.

Though I got the Engine fixed under warranty, I still believe Toyota should have done a recall.

for folks out there, if you are still under extended warranty and have this issue, try taking the car to multiple dealers, Some Large Dealers ( like Woburn Toyota MA) are reluctant do do the job and do to turn this down citing some or other reason.

When you have to do a consumption test, make sure you are there to supervise both during oil fill and verification at the end of 1200 miles. Oil should be filled only to the max level mark, not above it - do not give away the keys for the dealer check. Preferably use your own oil ( I took my own 5w20 mobil 1 synthetic oil for the oil change) - this will help avoid any foul play by the dealer, they may use 5w30 or other high viscosity oil and hide the issue.
    Speaking of higher viscosity oil, would it be advisable to use 5w30 during the warmer months (I live in Ohio) to help minimize oil loss? I'm adding a quart of 5w20 approx. every 1,000 miles and wondered if I could get away with using 5w30 during the summer and not have to keep pouring so much oil into it.
  • berto63berto63 Member Posts: 1
    i too have the same problem. we need to contact the news media and reveal to the media and newspaper to report and write an investigative story. but we all need to get together and provide facts. it is only a matter of time before something tragic will happen,
    I tried the local news route and they only responded with all the recommendations I already tried (I wrote to the Attorney General, The BBB, JD Powers and The NHTSA). The most disappointing thing I realized was that with all the vehicles that are involved in this design flaw (tens of thousands), the number on this message board complaining (132 to date) is insignificant in comparison. This is to say that some owners are probably getting better customer service than I did. I hold the dealership partially responsible for not supporting my claim against Toyota.
    I have exhausted every avenue and in the end, I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER TOYOTA! I also work for a company that references manufacturing philosophies described in the "Toyota Way Field Book" where they describe the customer as the key to success (Bull-sh**).
  • simrantsimrant Member Posts: 1
    At first I thought that it was just my bad luck, but apparently Toyota is shadey as hell. I too have experienced the engine oil consumption issue with my 4 cylinder 2007 Rav 4. My Rav has done 116,000 and the engine completely ran out of oil on a recent drive. I had to pull over and have the car towed! They now are telling me that it's going to cost $7,000 to fix the engine. I get my car serviced regularly, never saw a leak, and last had it serviced at appropriate interval- never missed a servicing! The dealer refuses to help, refuses to listen, and we even went to the Toyota headquarters-- Nothing!!! My family has always owned Toyotas and my parents each have a Prius. WE ARE DONE!! I'm filing a complaint with the NHTSA, BBB, JD Powers, gonna blast them on Yelp, and do everything I can to ruin their rep. Of course I'm just one person, I'm definitely in for a Class Action Lawsuit, but how? Any ideas?
  • chap0925chap0925 Member Posts: 1
    It is concerning that there are so many of us having this issue. I purchased my Rav4 in 2006 and everything has gone well until about 100,000 miles. Then the oil consumption has gone to heck in a hand basket. Thank all of you for posting though,it does help to know Im not crazy and can read an oil stick correctly.
  • ridgeinatorridgeinator Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 RAV4 with 98K. On my way to work I noticed the oil light on when I braked. Thought it was just a faulty switch or sensor. Went to the dealer to have them look at it. They said there was 1 qt of oil in the engine. The looked in their records to see that I was there 2 months ago (1800 miles). They filled it and did the oil consumption test. After 3 tests, they found I am burning about 1qt every 1300 miles). Called Toyota...nothing. Called the Dealer...they said it is Toyota's call since it falls withing their acceptable range for oil loss. I am at 104K now and carry 4 qts of oil. This not my idea of a reliable car.
    :mad:
  • rarmorgansrarmorgans Member Posts: 1
    I have 85,000 on my 2008 Toyota Highlander
    Just under 4,000 miles after the last oil change, my light flickered on the panel, hard to read, but my husband finally saw it the next day. It said it was low oil pressure, so I brought it in the next day. They said I was 5 quarts low! We did two oil consumption tests and at the 2nd 1,000 check they said I had an issue. My husband didn't believe it so now I am at the second dealer where I bought the car and I am starting on my 2nd check, cause I was down a quart just under 1,000 miles. I am under extended warranty but you know how that can go. After paying the deductible and them trying to decide what and who should pay what, I get stuck with a bill. I was mowed over by Ford with the 2004 diesel engine and I am not going to get mowed over on this car. I will check back and let you all know what happens next.
  • scott269scott269 Member Posts: 1
    toyota rav 4 back in aug my wife was driving home and the oil lite came on for a split second then went off .next the engine shut off .my wife called me and i met up with her ,and checked the oil and no oil in motor .i put 4 qts of oil in the engine still no help the engine made a loud noise and we had it towed back home .i contacted toyota and filled a complaint no responce back .conformed moter was done ,called several mechanics on motor replacement cost me out of pocket $4200 plus $1000 install .if anyone could send me leads to contact or emaill address and numbers i like to fight them from toyota to get my money back for this big mess out of pocket ,toyota needs to repay everyone that is going through the same thing .i did do some research early today and did find on this website toyota had a lawsuite back in 2001 louisanait was posted on message43 back in early 2001 for oil sludgebuildup class action suite in state court louisana
    Scott, The oil sludge problem was a different failure mode. I believe the fix is what ended up causing the 2007 2AZ-FE engine problems. The design change from 2006 to 2007 includes a reduction in piston ring thickness and a change in the piston shape that effected the compression ratio.
    The technical service bulletin (T-SB-0094-11) issued in August 2011 has to do with oil consumption. The corrective action, if the vehicle fails the allowable consumption rate of 1 qt in 1200 miles, is to replace the pistons and rings (essentially undoing what the design change was).
    Start with Toyota Customer Service 1 (800) 331-4331 (They will most likely say they know nothing about this issue). keep insisting that they do something to help you. I went as far as sending a letter directly to the president of Toyota residing in Japan (Mr. Akio Toyoda) and received a letter to contact the Toyota Motor Sales Executive Offices in Torrance CA. (310-468-2442). Be persistent and hopefully you'll get something. I didn't but if enough people contact them, maybe they'll give a little.
    Good luck!
    They offered me $1,000 off my next Toyota purchase...as if I'll ever buy another one.
  • henry82henry82 Member Posts: 1
    I'm in too for the Law Suite. I usually think Law suites are petty. But I like others bought Toyota's reputation. When I went for an oil change and the guy tells me there was only one quart left, I froze. What if I had waited a week? Now it seems I'm checking every couple of days. Every time I talk to Toyota they play dumb. My car is a 2008 Rav4 with 130,000 miles on it. Everyone of us should join this law suite. I say when Toyota sells us lemons, lets use a law suite to make lemonaid!!
  • teresa60teresa60 Member Posts: 2
    You should trade your RAV. I did, and I will never buy another Toyota. I bought a Nissan. I'm sure all manufacturers have their issues, but I'm totally disappointed with Toyota. I thought they would stand behind me, especially since I started having this problem before my 100,000 mile warranty was up. They are not very smart to lose loyal customers. If you hang onto your RAV, you will eventually have to replace the engine. I was almost to that point. When it starts using a quart every 1000 miles, you're in trouble.
  • rivers1982rivers1982 Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 2008 rav 4 with only 78k and having same issues from dealership. I've been having the problem since it had around 60k and I've been getting excuses left and right. I had to go threw he'll just to get a lifter replaced when I told them that already but they threatened me with fees that I couldn't afford. I thought toyota was a good dependable car but I was wrong. I think I
    Will buy a honda next time.
    While it is a pain in the rear, if you know about the problem you can safely monitor the oil usage and add as needed. I have been doing this for several months with my 2008. It is using a little less than a quart per 1000 miles. Yes it is a pain, but it is manageable. I wouldn't say I'm in trouble. The real trouble would be if you didn't know about the problem and ended up with a ruined engine.
  • egrenonegrenon Member Posts: 1
    We own a 2007 rav4 with 122,000 miles. we bought the rav with 105,000. this last oil change we had 4 qrts burn on 5000 miles. They put dye in the oil after finding no leaks for us to check when we bring the rav in for a recall we just received BST. There is a not thats part of the inspection they do it says "engine is consuming oil and most likely needs revised design piston/ring set or engine short block per TSB#0094-11.
  • ojoyoojoyo Member Posts: 1
    If anyone has begun a class action lawsuit, email me, Im in.
    At 110k on my 2006 RAV 4, I was driving with NO OIL until my car began to sputter and died.
    No engine light ever came on, as others have written here. My car remains in the driveway as I attempt to put 5 quarts in tomorrow in hopes that it will work again. I've always changed oil every 5000 miles.
    I've always said if I had to buy another car, it would be another RAV 4.
    Well, I was fooled. Never again..
  • textworktextwork Member Posts: 2
    Are you kidding? They owe us loyal assistance for the thousands of dollars we paid for the vehicle and the supposed integrity of their name and product. Toyota is the designer and manufacturer of the product and should stand behind it. My neighborhood mechanic is not liable for the product defect.
    edited October 2013
    For how long should Toyota stand behind it? Your 2006 is at least a year out of warranty time-wise and 100,000 miles over the drivetrain mileage warranty (link).

The article I linked notes that a manufacturer does not have to offer any after warranty assistance, but they are more likely to if the consumer shows loyalty.

Being a repeat customer is certainly one way to demonstrate that loyalty. Having your car maintained at the dealer is another.

The other factor that may work against you is whether you purchased your used RAV4 in '08 at a Toyota dealer or not.
    I, for one, am not going to remain loyal to a company who is not upfront and honest about a known engine defect. The dealer I was working with on our consumption test played DUMB. They acted like they had no idea what could be causing our Rav4 to burn oil, until I showed them I had a copy of the TSB. At this point, it isn't a matter of the warranty to me. I'm out of warranty, I get it. It is a matter of not being forthright with their customers. Whether I had my car maintained at the dealer should not matter. Personally, I believe Toyota has done everything it could to keep this problem hidden from customers knowing that, once warranties started running out, they weren't going to be liable for anything. Just my opinion.
    edited October 2013
    Yeah, and that's another issue. Some dealers can make living with a lemon tolerable and others are just lousy. We have a place to review dealers too and the more the word gets out, the fewer times service writers try to play dumb about known issues. So please write one up.
    HOST,
    You're describing a one way street. Buying the Toyota in the first place is showing loyalty. Toyota reputation for quality was a decision maker.
    My RAV4 died because of a manufacturing defect, not because I abused it or had it maintained by someone other than TOYOTA. The dealer I worked with also played DUMB.
    My RAV never gave any indication that the oil was low, all the way to the point of severe damage. This is 2013 (2007 when I bought the junk) and technology should be better at preserving the engine. In addition, TOYOTA is on a panel of experts claiming that oil changes are not necessary as often as suggested because the oil manufacturers have made significant improvements to the formula (going green).
    It is BS to suggest having a vehicle maintained at the dealer will show loyalty. The dealer makes the money on this, not the manufacturer.
    What pisses me off is that I can't buy a vehicle directly from the manufacturer so when I have a problem, I expect the dealer to go to bat for me. I tried taking my dealer to court and they claimed that they only sell the cars and my problem should be directed to Toyota. That's a major cop-out!
    Toyota has a field book dedicated to describing good business practices that made them the #1 manufacturer on the world. At the heart of their business model is the customer. What they write and what they practice are two different things.
    The only way for consumers to show dissatisfaction is to NOT ever buy another Toyota and also, spread the word. Money is the only thing that rules.
    You can call me "Steve". :)

The dealer makes the money on this, not the manufacturer.

That's not necessarily true - the manufacturer doesn't pay "retail" for warranty claims and dealers often complain that they lose money on warranty work. So there's another source of friction that makes it harder for owners to get help either from the dealer or the manufacturer.

And yeah, the dealer lobby is strong so it's unlikely that you'll be able to buy direct from a manufacturer anytime soon, unless you get a Tesla.
  • lschofieldlschofield Member Posts: 1
    Hi my wifes 2006 Rav4 is doing the same thing and i have to check her oil alot more. she has always kept her oil changes up with the car. I am really upset that so many others are having the same issue and there has been no lawsuit or any recalls on this model. If there is ever any action taken on this we would also like to know. My wife has never had anything but a Toyota and i am pretty sure that this will be her last one unless Toyota steps up to the plate and fixes this problem.
  • rdrav407rdrav407 Member Posts: 1
    My 2007 Rav4 started burning oil at 80k-85k miles. I dont normally check the oil in between 5k maintenance since i am used to it always not receding from the time i bought it brand new. Just so happens when i checked it about 1k miles before its next service only to my surprise that the dipstick is dry so i filled in a quart. When i brought it to my dealer they put in an additive and observe till next service. Turned out it didnt work. I ended up putting in a quart twice in between 5k service. Now they will do an oil consumption test and have it bring back after 1200 miles. I told them about the feedback i heard from this forum and they did not deny it nor acknowledge any assurance the its covered. Just keeping my fingers crossed hoping that the dealer of my two cars which i have them religously maintained stand by me in the worst case scenario. Otherwise Toyota and this dealer will be in my generations blacklist. I have had Toyota cars in the past and never was this an issue at this early stage. Sign me in for any class action needed.
  • 7oakskd7oakskd Member Posts: 3
    I own a 2006 Rav4 sport. Bought it new and have had every oil change and recommended engine service done since that time done at the dealership. A few months ago, my engine oil light suddenly came on out of the blue when I put on my brakes. I immediately took the car to the dealer and they added some oil and said they would "monitor the oil consumption." This incident happened shortly after I had been in for an oil change. I thought maybe a careless mechanic failed to properly fill the reservoir. However, since then, I have had to go back several times to have oil added, but each time was told that they will continue the monitoring. However, late last week, again not long after I had the oil changed, I had to brake kind of hard because someone had pulled out in front of me. The engine oil light came on and I immediately checked the dipstick and found that there was almost no oil. I then had 4 quarts added, and brought the car to the dealership yesterday, and was told that to fix the problem I really need a new engine, as the oil is being used internally by the engine due to a piston assembly design problem per the TSB. I asked if Toyota was going to fix the problem for me at it's cost and you can guess what I was told. This is an unacceptable answer as this is not a "normal wear and tear" issue, it's a design defect issue. As such, Toyota should step up and fix the problems that are obviously being experienced by ( judging from the various blogs I've been viewing) LOTS of Toyota owners who have the 2AZ-FE engines in their vehicles. The dealer gave me 3 options: I can buy a new engine for $7200.00+, or a used engine for a little less, or I can have the piston repair work done for $3172.00, but note they advised against doing the repair work. I said I felt Toyota should pay for this, not me, as Toyota, not I, caused the problem. I don't have to tell you what their answer was, nor that of Toyota USA's corporate office, with whom I spent a good 30 minutes on the phone. The rep did tell me that if they receive enough complaints, they may do something about this, but I'm certainly not holding my breath.
  • jayeeteejayeetee Member Posts: 2
    Not a happy camper today at all. Went into the dealership b/c oil light flashing when I make a hard stop. Now, even though I have less than 59000 miles on my Rav4, bought it new in 2008, and have religiously serviced my car at the dealership every 5,000 miles - I am told that I have to have the engine rebuilt! Oh yes, and I am 6 months past the end of my warranty. What timing? Have seen online forums where this... seems to be an issue Toyota knows about and hasn't taken appropriate measures to address (like recall!). I bought this car believing it was reliable and safe - So, I wait patiently to hear back from the dealership by COB Monday as to what they plan to do. I have no intention of paying to rebuild an engine due to a known problem! I will post what I hear back on Monday.
  • cprimocprimo Member Posts: 1
    Our 2008 Rav4 only had 32,000 miles on it when it started using lots of oil at 1000 miles after oil change. Oil light never came on even though it was almost dry. Just 6 months out of warranty as well. Never used oil before. Toyota website states a problem with the piston, but of course won't admit liability. Used to love toyotas. Not anymore.