Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RL

Comments

• phild_masonphild_mason Member Posts: 99
    I have had a recurrence of a funny problem with my 2000 RL and wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience.

Last winter the SRS light came on and the steering wheel volume control stopped working. Of course the dealer could not replicate and reset SRS with no problem indicated.

Everything worked fine until it got cold again and the volume controls stopped working and after the car sat out at a hotel, traveling for xmas, the SRS light came on.

I suspect there are some connectors that shrink in the cold. Anyone else experience this and have a fix? I will take back to the dealer next week still under warranty.
  • ksomanksoman Member Posts: 683
    just cuz i'd some extra time. The car's interior looked like i was back in 1995, but it's still such a quite, unassuming, un-bashful, sedate car that i'd love when i'm 40 years older!

I personally think the RL looks marvelous from outside.

Anyway, the sales agent was desperately trying to load me on an RL offering me many different pricing options with almost dirt cheap give away sale prices or leases. He hinted that they were clearing house for a spring launch of the '05. But, that's still hearsay.

Considering what they did to the new TL, though i'm not entirely a big fan of it as much as i'd like to be, i'm very interested in seeing where the new RL goes from here.

ksso
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I hope there will be a hybrid version. Being Environmentally friendly AND beating the tuned Civic at the stoplight.
    I forgot the naming, but wasn't that shown as a 4 door hybrid 400 HP sport sedan... wouldn't that play into the future RL equation?

ksso
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    That concept car was introduced as the Honda Dualnote, then later was revamped a bit and became the Acura DN-X.

I don't think anyone in their right mind is expecting that car to go to production, but there's hope that we'll see a sophisticated V6 driving the front wheels and dual electric motors driving the rear wheels. This sort of AWD configuration was also shown on the Spocket and RD-X concept cars.

Personally, I think this hybrid system would be a great rebuttle to all the talk of V8s and RWD. But I'll believe it when I see it.
    seems commited to Hybrid drivetrains instead of V8s, and safety features for each of it's cars- including the Civic DX and the 3.5 RL. (things like STANDARD VSC, TRAC, Curtain Airbags and side airbags for each Honda model, no matter what)
    At this point, I think we can only count on two things.

1. It will not be FWD. That does not mean a FWD-biased AWD system is not possible. It could just be a variation on VTM-4.

2. It will have the new crash structure Honda worked out for crash compatibility with various size vehicles. While Honda has not been leading in airbags or stability control, they have done wonders with basic structure. This could be interesting.
    it probably won't have a V8.
  • gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    When will we know for sure? Detroit?
  • msgreenmsgreen Member Posts: 67
    I hope that Honda gets some info out asap on the new RL. The new Lexus GS is to be announced at the Detroit auto show in early Jan. There are other new, potential competitors coming out soon from Cadillac (STS), Audi (A6), and Infiniti M45. While some of these may not be direct competitors, they should all be in the "price ballpark", so may be examined simultaneously. I hope that the usual "announcement secrecy" from Honda does not put the new RL at a substantial disadvantage because of the excitement generated by interest in other competitor models announced/shown earlier.....
    Maybe it'll get two I4s. =)

Yes, Detroit.

Honda secrecy hasn't hurt the TL, TSX, or any other model they've released the same way.
    Chicago. The Odyssey is expected to be either launched at Detroit or Chicago.
    The last article I read (Bloomberg news)reported that Honda is introducing at least three concepts at Detroit. They listed an Ody concept, the RL, and the SUT concept. I suppose they can always change their mind.
    Honda did launch the Pilot in Detroit two years ago, at the 2002 show. So, who knows? They launched the Odyssey there in 1998/1999. Maybe they'll launch the next Odyssey there.
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    To me, Honda launches cars at NAIAS in a very boring way. The Pilot was introduced in a very boring show. They should add some music and choreography. :)
    their products sell- even without a fancy launch. I agree, a more exciting launch might pump sales numbers even higher, but Honda's satisfied with current numbers, so they're sticking with boring introductions as they think the buyers will come as long as they stick it in the showroom, offer a good price, make it one of the better cars in the class and make it safe, then the buyers will come. In a way, Honda is right. I haven't seen an ad campaign specifically for the Pilot- just for the Element, Accord and Civic have I seen individual ads without any other Honda models.
    Oh, I know that their cars sell very well. I'm not saying to add effects to launches for even better sales, but so that the media has something to watch. Add smoke, dark lighting, music, whatever! :)
  • theo2709theo2709 Member Posts: 476
    Oh come on, do you expect that the public watches model introductions, or even knows what an auto show is? The point of them is to impress the media. At NAIAS 1994, Lutz drove the brand-new Grand Cherokee through a big thing of plate glass. It didn't accomplish anything, and it probably damaged the car, but it was cool and the media loved it. The debut if the F-150 last year with the pyrotechnics was cool as well.
    Exactly, I'm not saying that the public views the introductions. I'm just saying that so that the media has something to watch. :)
    can go out and tell the world about the upcoming Honda so nobody buys the leftovers. Exactly what Honda DOESN'T want. They want to sell each and every one of their cars, so by having good shows they can't sell the leftovers as everybody will find out (via media) and they'll wait!
    That's true. The auto shows serve the purpose of informing the enthusiasts (which is who the media is reporting for). However, the manufacturers still have plenty of non-enthusiast buyers they need for strong sales.
  • jeff88jeff88 Member Posts: 94
    (Hi ksoman)

As a current driver of a '96 rl with just 100k miles on it I weas thinking about what I would want in a new rl if I were to "trade up". BTW, I still love my oldie.

-strong, smooth, quiet v6 (285 hp, 265 ft lbs torque) that gives 20-30 mpg (v8 not neccessary unless it's small blocked)
    - awd vtam w/ vsc/trac (mdx/pilot lite - no fixed 4wd)
    -6 sp auto/manual tranny, at 70 mph should turn 1800 rpm max
    -bose stereo w/ xm, front input from digital sources
    -2 front, 1 rear power outlets
    -same excellent wood/leather appointment w/ nicer guage & instrumentation
    - same seat, mirror & steering wheel memory settings for 3 instead of 2 with key fob control for individual drivers
    - dual zone front climate control, climate control rear
    -aluminum suspension componentry for tighter, flatter handling with same dampening as current models
    -better steering 'feel'
    -more rear headroom
    - 16 cu ft trunk
    - 17 x 225 x 50 all-season tire (dunlop sp5000, no michelins!)
    - no more than 38' turning circle
    - optional sunroof with solar collector for running climate control (ala MB e-series option) add $1k
    -nav, add $2k

a v8 delivering 300 hp with 300 ft lbs might be nice but to me, not neccessary if it keeps the parts bin usage higher and costs to build down

all this could be priced in the 42 to 46 range based on the tl/mdx offerings beating the pants off an e or a 5 similarly equipped. keep the same excellent paint job and build quality intact and this would be a huge winner. warranty the thing to 60 months and 62,000 miles and sell 39 month leases. the used rl market in 3.3 years would be a cash cow for the dealers. oh yeah, bring back my heather mist color...
    Parktronic, if you don't mind. It's a wallet burning $2000 option on the E320. Whereas Ford sells a similar Parktronic for just $600 on Windstars and standard on Expedition Eddie Bauers.
    no news on the 05 RL from Detroit.. not even a press release blip on google.. what's up?
    And you dont expect acura to play up to the S's and 7's and LS's?
  • low_ball_88low_ball_88 Member Posts: 171
    I too had a 96RL but was totalled last summer. The car saved my wife. I will buy this car in a heartbeat just as long ACURA does do butcher the exterior design. I really like the smooth, rounded, and bland styling of the current version compared to the TL and TSX. These cars look like ACURA is trying to copy the CADDY design.
    In a way, Acura is having it's own "art and science" design phase.
  • jeff88jeff88 Member Posts: 94
    Ksoman, it would be priced lower than the e and 5 but sitting in it would be more like the 7 and s. roomy but not pricey. the tl is roomy as a 5 and priced less than a 3. same deal.

as for looks, I too like the subtle, classier look of the current rl than the tl but am not adverse to lowering the wind co-efficient to silence the ride.

Parktronic is a good one, sorry I missed that. it should be standard. the thing I love about acura's is that they come really loaded and options are few if any. heck, price it at 45 and do the solar collector and nav w/ cellular/satellite capability all thrown in. throw in the monthly on-star and syrius radio during the warranty period. make the german car producers cringe.
  • 1996acurarl1996acurarl Member Posts: 3
    My RL just died. The car will not start. The starter works great but RL "acts like" it has no fuel or the fuel pump is dead. Fuse #22 is okay. Could this be a faulty immobilizer system? Did anyone else ever experience this?

I hope this isnt another transmission related problem!

Any help would be appreciated.
  • phild_masonphild_mason Member Posts: 99
    A problem that Honda had for a while, early 90's, was the ignitor. It is a little module that runs the spark, etc.

I had it die on at Integra and a campaign to replace it on my last Legend.

The Integra had it buried in the alternator and heat got to them. In the Legend it was mounted on the wheel well away from everything.

I have not heard of them dying in RL's,but the symptoms are similar.
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    I like Acura's old styling too of the 90's but this new styling is more competitive with the styling leaders such as VW/Audi, Nissan/Infinti, and Mazda. BTw, How is the TSX copying Cadillac? That car looks very Japanese to me. The 04 TL maybe is the boldest thing Acura's done since the 91 Legend Coupe.

I do like this "art of science" as somebody before that Acura is doing now. The old school Acura's sported beautiful and conservative lines. The new school Acura's while still have beautiful lines but are getting bolder which I like.
    call that package the "PREMIER LUXURY PACKAGE" and add $3495 to the price of the base RL and get:
    Parktronic
    NAV/Bluetooth/Satellite system
    Solar Climate Control System
    FREE one year subscription to XM or Sirius Satellite Radio (on top of the free three month trial period on the satellite radio)
    FREE two year subscription to On-Star. (on top of the free one year with the base RL)
    Then, Mercedes and BMW have something to worry about. Not to mention Lexus, Audi and Cadillac.
    Detroit just ain't happening!! There is NO buzz for this vehicle ANYWHERE that I can find. I hope Acura is planning on yelling SURPRISE!! when this car comes out because for now info is non-exsistent.
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    Acura is too busy selling MDX's.
    producing enough TSXs for the consumers. TMV on the TSX is MSRP.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Guys there is nothing going to happen at Detroit concerning the RL, bet on the New York show.

M
  • reece1reece1 Member Posts: 2
    Don't know if this was posted before, but here is what Auto Consumer Guide website had to say about the 2005 RL (updated 01/08/04 so it's recent news)

News: A clean-sheet 2005 RL is expected in spring of '04, which implies a mildly disguised "concept" preview at this winter's auto shows. Unlike most rivals, and contrary to earlier rumors, Acura's new flagship will be another front-wheel drive/V6 design, Honda having decided that a rear-drive/V8 car wouldn't sell well enough to justify development costs. Look for a larger, stronger V6--likely a 3.8 with around 300 hp--plus a 5-speed automatic transmission to replace today's 4-speed. One reputable industry source says a hybrid powertrain may be offered instead of this or possibly as an option. It's said to mate a 160-hp electric motor with a 250-hp 3.0-liter V6 designed to run on three cylinders for more economical highway cruising. We'd guess the dual-source powertrain won't be offered before 2006, but Honda has been working on "big hybrids" for quite sometime, so it could be on the chart from day one. We'd definitely expect the new RL to be more visually interesting than the current model, perhaps sporting a few cues borrowed from Acura's redesigned '04 TL midsize sedan. More details should surface soon, so keep checking back with us.
    Thanks! I just scratch my head as to why such a potentially exciting car due out so soon has so little buzz and anticipation.. Yes, I know they want to clear out the '04's but come on! For example, people have been drooling for the new Lexus GS for almost a year now.. but then again, all of that anticipation has led to quite a letdown for some of those GS fans.. I hope Acura comes out with a nice surprise... soon!
    It certainly looks like Merc1 is right. Having read rumors like the one posted above, I was expecting a springtime release. Isn't the NY auto show in April? That would be a little late.

Along with the release of the hybrid Accord, Honda has leaked that they will release another VCM-engined car in the fall.

Introduction in 2004 of a V6 powered gas-electric hybrid Accord using Honda's Integrated Motor Assist (IMA) hybrid system in combination with Variable Cylinder Management (VCM) technology for V6 performance with fuel economy equivalent to a four-cylinder Civic.

Introduction in 2005 of a Honda-developed fuel cell stack with increased performance and fuel efficiency, reduced cost and the ability to start in below freezing temperatures.

Application of Honda Variable Cylinder Management (VCM) technology to another new model to be introduced this fall.

http://hondanews.com/Forms/corp/*ws4d-db-query-Show.ws4d?*ws4d-db- -query-Show***005848***-wieck_media***-***corp(directory)***.ws4d- ?corp/results(r)_text.html

There have been other references to VCM appearing in the Ody, but maybe this is it for the RL? The TL concept was shown at the NY auto show and released last fall. The timing matches...
    the RL will be delayed until a fall 2004 launch, with the RL being launched in New York.
    Yes, that's what I'm thinking. The question I have now is, is the RL the one getting VCM, or is it the next gen Ody? I suppose both might get it and Honda is just naming only one to keep people guessing.
  • pjamupjamu Member Posts: 11
    Hi,

What would be a real bargain price for certified 2000 RL without navigation with around 35k miles on it? The was leased by previous owner. The dealer is quoting 23,000$, whereas I am thinking it should not be more than $22,000. The reason being - new cars are available at 37,000$ and if you count 4 years of depreciation, it should be atleast 15-16k - thus the price should be around 21-22k.
    Can anybody help here with my calculations and experience driving/purchasing used RL? What is the best deal anyone has got on certified used RLs with 35k miles and 3-4 yrs old car?
    With this budget, I can buy a new Honda Accord, but I am thinking used RL might be a better choice overall with one big exception - gas mileage. What do you think about the comparison?

thanks
    Hi,

What would be a real bargain price for certified 2000 RL without navigation with around 35k miles on it? The was leased by previous owner. The dealer is quoting 23,000$, whereas I am thinking it should not be more than $22,000. The reason being - new cars are available at 37,000$ and if you count 4 years of depreciation, it should be atleast 15-16k - thus the price should be around 21-22k.
    Can anybody help here with my calculations and experience driving/purchasing used RL? What is the best deal anyone has got on certified used RLs with 35k miles and 3-4 yrs old car?
    With this budget, I can buy a new Honda Accord, but I am thinking used RL might be a better choice overall with one big exception - gas mileage. What do you think about the comparison?

thanks
  • prophet2prophet2 Member Posts: 372
    $23K is high. You ought to get it for $2K less. I bought my '96 RL in 2000 with 36.8K miles on it. Non-NAV. Paid $20K + TTL ($21.3 OTD).

Now at 90K miles and still running smooth as silk. Regular service every 7.5K is helpful.
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    The car you describe has a TMV here of $24000 for certified. Trade-in is down around $19000. Make an offer. You should be able to get 5-10% off his listing -- i.e., $21-22k.

But if it's a nice car and you like it, it will last you probably another 150000 miles and you'll never notice a thousand bucks after a year or two. JW
    Hi,
    Did you have certified car? Did you buy it from dealer or owner?

Another question - with such a reliable car, do you need certification from Acura and pay 2-3k more?

What is the gas mileage you are getting on your RL?
    thanks for your posting
    Hi,
    I have read many of your previous postings and I think you have been tracking RL for quite some time now.
    With new RL coming 3000$ under invoice, what is the logic of having a used car price at the indicators that Edmunds suggests. Kelly's Blue Book and Edmunds always quote high for used cars. Plus to what extent are these cars in demand in the market? Are used RLs selling easily? What was the typical lease-end residual price for 2000 RLs?

I personally feel 21500$ for a certified RL is the right price unless there are many who would buy these at 23 or 24k.

I would have bought used TLs, but they had transmission issues. Did RLs also have similar tranny issues? Lots of 2001 and 2002 TLs had transmission failures or issues reported.

Were there any major issues or recalls for 2000 RLs?

Appreciate your help.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    Hi pjamu. This discussion is about the 2005 RL, so I've moved your message to our active Acura 3.5RL discussion. That's where you're most likely to get feedback on the 2000.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    Yes, I've followed RLs for several years and drive an '02, on lease, but I won't be able to answer many of your questions as I don't have dealership experience.

I've found TMV to be fairly accurate in this area (NE) but you say it's high where you are and you may be correct. As I said above, make an offer. The amount you're suggesting is certainly not outrageous. If the dealer says no, then you have to decide how much you like the car.

I bought mine because a friend of mine had a 2000 that I liked very much. To me (only!) it is a preferable car to an Accord or an ES300 and a bargain at its price -- many others disagree of course.

I don't think RLs could ever have been described as "flying" off the lots.

No, there have been no big issues on transmissions. The only recall I remember so far on my '02 was for a brake light switch which, when it went, wouldn't allow the car to start. You can do a search on a federal site (DOT? not sure ... l'il help someone?) to check the recalls on the '00.

Finally, gas mileage hasn't been an issue for me. I'm about 50/50 highway/city and average about 21mpg in winter (with tires at 30psi) and about 22+ mpg in summer (with tires at 34psi).

It's a real nice car. The style will remind you of every LS400 or E-series MB that you see, so it's not going to get you ver excited. The "performance" is seamless, not exciting or even interesting, but if you do a lot of highway miles, as I did when I got mine, it is a reliable, luxurious, comfortable, and economical ride. My only problem with it is that I get bored, but it's good that I also never have to think about it with the rest of life's challenges. Nice stereo if you're into that sort of thing. JW
  • prophet2prophet2 Member Posts: 372
    My car was not "certified," but it did have an extended warranty which carried over to 7/31/03 or 100K miles, whichever occurred first. This paid for the replacement of an oxygen sensor which went bad in 2002.

Car was purchased from a Honda dealer.

$2-3K extra for certification is too high. It only adds one year/12K miles to the balance of the factory warranty. I purchased a certified 2001 Integra LS in August 2002 (12K miles) when the fee was $800. That in effect "restored" the warranty back to 4 years/50K miles. It turned out to be a waste when the car was "totaled" four months later in December 2002.

I get an overall 19 mpg, with a high of 21.5 and a low of 17.0. It is a little disappointing as my 2001 Odyssey EX gets 22-23 mpg.