Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RL

Comments

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Consumers' Most Wanted Vehicles for 2004 Survey is posted and ready for your input!
  • stoneycreekstoneycreek Member Posts: 5
    Why did I buy an Acura yesterday?
    Price - While the window price is $46,145 (with destination), I paid $37,100 plus tag and tax (no other hidden fees). Of course, to make sure the negotiation to be simple and fast, I paid in full.
  • gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    Stoneycreek, I agree with you that the RL's are an excellent value at this time. If I were in the market for a car I would seriously consider it. This vehicle has EVERYTHING one could want in a car. Yes, I know, others prefer more power,etc., but as far as bang for the buck goes, this is a reliable, good looking (IMHO), and fantastically equipped vehicle for the money.

Still though, these deep discounts must mean that the '05 RL will probably be something special. I'll be in the market for a new vehicle come January and I'll be looking closely at the RL.

Enjoy your new ride!
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    The current RL is so inexpensive, it could compete with the ES330 and other's from the TL's "class". That both a bane and boon for the model. It's supposed to compete with the 50-60K sedans. The fact that it compares nicely with lesser models sorta hurts the image of the car.
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    "...I agree with you that the RL's are an excellent value at this time. If I were in the market for a car I would seriously consider it. This vehicle has EVERYTHING one could want in a car...Still though, these deep discounts must mean that the '05 RL will probably be something special. "

Having the RL discounted so much is not necessarily a good thing. This reduces the resale value of the car and gives the impression the car is overpriced to begin with (note the last generation Infiniti Q45 for another example of this). The current discounts have nothing to do with how "special" the next RL will be and everything to do with the fact that market demand for the car is well below the supply.

Also, Acura has neglected adding key equipment to this car. Heck, you can buy a Honda Accord for $24,000 that has side curtain airbags and dual-zone climate control that you won't find on an RL. And cars like the ES 330 have items such as a power rear sun shade, rain-sensing wipers and a trip computer that you can't get on an RL.

I am confident Acura will address the RL's drawbacks with the redesign and it will once again be a strong competitor.
    The RL does need an overhaul, no argument there. For me, what the RL offers over the es, accord, etc. is loads more room. If I had a 37K budget for a car and wanted to spend it right now on vehicle where my hair won't touch the head liner I'd give the 04 RL a VERY close look. I know it is subjective, but to me it looks sharp, has more than enough gadgets to keep me entertained, and has a solid reliability record.

Of course, I'm saying that BEFORE the '05 comes out.. I'm willing to bet that after the new RL debuts I'll have a much less complimentary view of the '04 version.

And, by the way, has ANYONE heard ANYTHING about the '05 yet? When is it coming out? Features? Acura is either great at keeping a secret to promote current RL sales, or they're really poor in the "buzz" department.
    "Acura is either great at keeping a secret to promote current RL sales, or they're really poor in the "buzz" department."

Honda/Acura is very secretive about new vehicles. They even test cars in the dark to reduce the chances of them being photographed. I'm told they do it to protect current sales, as you remarked, and also to keep the competition guessing. It's harder to match the competition if you don't know what they are bringing to the table.

As for news... It will have another V6 and it will not be FWD (which probably means AWD). There's nothing else I would take to the bank. The RL is expected to be shown (in concept form) at car shows in April.
    a summer/fall roll out? I hope so.. Lexus unveiled its new GS in January but it won't go on sale 'till next year as an '06!! The thing is, I'll be car shopping in January and want as many choices as possible. So far I'm looking forward to seeing the new RL and the new Caddy STS. I'm looking for ANY excuse to get out of my SUV "phase" (owned only suv's for 7 years straight and am a current owner of an '03 Navigator)...but now I'm addicted to the roominess and the gadgets!! :)
  • mason11mason11 Member Posts: 7
    I saw a photo of Japanese 2005 Honda Legend / Acura RL with 3.5L V6 and 4WD. When it was tested in Germany the result was close to GT-R.
    I have a scanned photo of the car, how can I post it here?
  • ksomanksoman Member Posts: 683
    It better come out with a RL that's as close to the big bang theory of the universe or there are too many other players in the field. That price range is already crowded for the volume of buyers...

ksso
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    For what it is worth, a booth attendant at the Columbus Auto show described the new RL as looking like longer and wider Acura TL.
  • prattsterprattster Member Posts: 59
    You first need to upload to imagestation.com, real easy to set up an account. Right click on the image then select "Properties." In the properties window, you'll see the address starting with "http." Select it, and copy the address.

To post the image here type [img src=your URL] but use < > in place of the brackets [ ]. Now lets see this puppy!
  • dunmicdunmic Member Posts: 4
    Can someone please tell him how to post a pic in the forum? I can't wait to see it.
    If you can't figure out how to post the pic here, feel free to email it to me if you get a chance. Perhaps someone else in here with an imagestation account will volunteer to have it emailed to them so they can post it?

Thanks! :))))
    looks nice! That's the first glimpse I've gotten of this car in any shape or form -- you'd think they were developing military secrets over at Acura or something!

To me the car in that pic has nice lines, and it does seem to fit into the "larger TL" category people have been speculating about.. we'll see. I know this sounds strange, but my initial impression was that it looked "audi-ish". Now I wonder, when is Acura gonna feed me some official pics?!

Thanks mason11!
  • l943973l943973 Member Posts: 197
    Here is what VTEC.net is posting about the RL
    ----------------------------------
    "Soon after I posted the news item regarding the latest buzz on upcoming products, I received a bit more information on expected changes for the 2005 Acura RL. Here's an updated summary:

300HP 3.5L V-6

AWD (VTM4)

Aluminum body parts, including hood, roof, trunklid

Sized larger than 5-series/E-class, but smaller than 7-series/S-class. Perhaps to be positioned against Lexus GS or Infiniti M45.

"Smartkey" for door, ignition, and trunk

Sportshift with steering wheel mounted "paddle" controls

Adaptive headlights (move with the steering)

Adaptive cruise control

Power rear seats

"Stunning" interior

We've also received the following information regarding the available colors and accessories:

Exterior Colors: Desert Mist, Deep Blue, Meteor Silver, Ruby Royal Red, Medium Silver, Silver Metallic, Premium White,
    Graphite Pearl, Nighthawk Black.

Interior Colors: Black, Grey, Beige.

Available Accessories: All Season mats front and rear, trunk net and tray, wood steering wheel and shift knob, back up sensors, gold emblems, door visors, nose mask, color matched splash gaurds, rear deck lid spoiler, +1 chrome look wheels, and A-SPEC (wheels, tires +1, suspension, and deck lid spoiler). "
  • l943973l943973 Member Posts: 197
    So I guess our joke about seeing an RL Type-S isn't so far off if they are offering an RL A-SPEC
  • aggie76aggie76 Member Posts: 266
    Do I see a little VW Phaeton in the posted image?
  • dunmicdunmic Member Posts: 4
    Thanks Mason

The car looks nice. It reminds me the current audi A8 with a taste of TL.

By any chance, can you tell which Chinese auto magazine having this pic
  • prattsterprattster Member Posts: 59
    Yeah, I'm seeing A8 in the front fender area but also the current RL grill theme there. Is this the real deal or a computer generated rendering?

Looks like it's gonna be a much sportier car then the current one, which is great.
    I think we can probably expect a slightly different grill, as that one is designed to fit in with the Honda nameplate overseas.

I don't think we should draw too many conclusions from that rendering. Using color and pen strokes an artist can make otherwise bland shapes and lines look a good deal more interesting.

p.s. Thanks Mason!
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    04 TSX and 04 TL mixing their Acura styling routes and putting a little Euro styling theme into their current crop of cars. I don't have a complaint, it seems to be working well.
    I agree with you on the Acura line. They've done a good job of taking the "angles and planes" common on Japanese cars and blending them with the higher belt line and short trunk that has become popular with euro cars.

I just wish Honda cars were as consistent.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    look nice. On the specs sheet, I really have to wonder why Acura is offering three different silvers.
  • aciampiaciampi Member Posts: 66
    After reading what to expect for the new RL, i'm a little sorry that I bought my 04 TL. From that picture it looks great and I love the upgraded engine and technology.

And just my opinion but if they connect the headlights to the grill it looks like the result of a TL and the Infiniti M45
  • mason11mason11 Member Posts: 7
    The image of the new Honda Legend was taken from a photo on Auto Express (A Chinese magazine I bought in Hong Kong). That is the photo taken when it was sent to Germany for testing in Jan.
    Seems like Honda's flagship will be a V6, 3.5L AWD as suggested on the specs sheet.
    But doesn't it look like one of the many computer mixed fakes that a lot of the car mags seem to peddle??

ksso
    couple of years ago, those specs and pics coulda made somebody salivate over the RL... but unlike the TL, the RL is not an established model line anymore and honestly I think Acura has a big misfire on hand in the 45-50 K small market if they think anybody is going to give a big deal about the specs which seem to have leaked out. The TL and its competitor market is huge in size, the RL/LS/GS market is much smaller and image often drives the market far more than pure value or pure specs. The only way to dent that is to completely absolutely overwhelm by specs, and these RL specs just don't shake anybody's feet or bones. If the VTM 4 is NOT with advanced powertrains like a hybrid, its over.

sadly, ksso
    Yeah, I have to agree with Ksoman on that. Based on the little bit that we have seen thus far, I don't think this RL is going to create the splash that Acura needs. It looks like a perfectly good car for the $40-50K price range. It may even be a bargain at that price. But what the RL needs is to leap ahead of the competition, not just be a nice alternative to it.

Okay, that said, what I'm reading thus far does look a lot more like a "Legend" kind of car, rather than the stodgy RL that replaced it.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    makes the car looks more like a Legend rather than a frumpy and stoodgy RL.
  • rich48rich48 Member Posts: 21
    When will the RL be available? Also, I read that the concept will be on view at the NY Auto Show in April...true??
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    Honda doesn't make the 05 RL exactly look like Legend stylistically. I don't want a car in 2004-2005 looking like a car from the 90's.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Patience guys, I think the NY show will get the ball rolling on the info about the next RL.

M
    Acura hasn't let a single "official" crum or two leak out.. nada, zip, zilch. They should be in charge of guarding our country's military secrets!
    <eom>
    Well that is the Honda/Acura way. If you think the wait on the RL has been long, you should see what the NSX guys have been going through up until Acura/Honda finally showed a concept car in that direction, they've been waiting for something, anything from Honda about the NSX for more years than RL fans.

I'll bet a paycheck on New York being THE show for either an RL concept or the actual introduction or the finished product. The 1996 RL was introduced there too I think.

If not then the new RL won't be here anytime soon, you'll have to wait until the autoshow season starts again in Sept (Paris).

M
  • lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    I dont agree. The reason that the current RL is a sales flop is because its an also-ran car, and its extremely dated, both in its exterior and interior design. An accord EX V6 makes more hp. Yes the $30K entry lux market is huge, but that market is also saturated with at least 15 or so competitors. The $40-50k mid lux market might not be as big as a whole, but there's MUCH less cars out there to contend with. With the new RL, Acura primarily has to worry about fighting GS, and whenever Nissan introduces the next M35\45, as the current car is a sales disaster, and to a lesser extent the 5, E, and A6. I think German shoppers are less likely to consider Acura than Lexus\Infiniti shoppers. The new RL will (supposedly) have 300hp, and AWD, which GS\M aint got. If Honda can undercut them in price, which most Acura cars already do, they could do pretty well. Neither the next GS or M will have a hybrid engine choice.
    The RL's biggest problem has been the TL-S and now the new generation TL. There was/is virtually no reason at all to buy a RL over the TL, none. Model year 1999 was the beginning of the end for the RL, it was rendered obsolete as the new TL took off. I've never seen a luxury brand who's entry level car humiliates their supposed to be top-of-the-line car.

Acura has to do a new RL for 2005, if not the current RL will slide completely off the map this year.

I've said it before...when all three German competitors A6/E/5 are redesigned before the Acura product there is something wrong as the Germans are the ones who usually go for the 6-7 year product cycle. The RL is in its 9th model year! That is an eternity for a great design and even longer for a lackluster one, which is what the RL was in the beginning, especially compared with the 1995 Legend GS.

That said, I like the idea of a 300hp AWD V6 RL. You know this V6 will be one of the best going and the interior should be fabulous, if the new TL is anything to go by and they should be trying to top it in that area. It is the styling that worries me.

Lets just face it, Acura isn't going to do a rwd V8 sedan.

M
    It makes sense for them to be different. A lot of Acura's success comes from their "with or without nav" option sheet, which nobody else really does. The only other Japanese luxury car (sold in the US) with 300hp and AWD is the FX45, which is not really an RL competitor. The next GS300 is supposed to have AWD, but I hear that the V8 will not get it. It will be intersting in particular to see how the new GS 240hp 3.0L contends with the RL, as they will probably be closer in price than the GS430. The GS300 is Lexus' volume car in that segment (it outsells the GS430 by at least 4:1) so if the RL can beat them there, they could be looking at a great success. The AWD thing really has to be a given, even Honda who is easily FWD's strongest supporter has realized that there is a hp wall for FWD cars, and the TL bumped into it. If Nissan and Honda continue their horsepower war with each other, I think a lot of traditionall FWD cars like the Maxima and TL could end up AWD.
  • pg48477pg48477 Member Posts: 309
    Do you think Acura will come up with vehicle competing with 745, s500 and LS430?
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,382
    not if they want to actually sell it.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Good points, I agree. My mom bought a 1987 Maxima back in August of 1986, it had 160hp and costs 17K with everything except leather and a sunroof. A fully loaded Maxima then was about 19-20 I think. Today's car has 265hp and can run 35K! Times change. If they keep up the power games with the front drivers they'll have to go awd to contain it.

pg48477,

Maybe in 10-15 years, in short not anytime soon. Honda is still very small company, though it doesn't seem like it. They simply don't have the resources to do a car like an S-Class or 7-Series, especially since those cars require two thing Honda obviously has no interest in; a V8 and RWD. Even if Honda has the cash to do such a car, their smaller/greener is better mentality will make such a car hard to justify.

M
    Agreed totally. A LS430, 745 competitor from Acura is pretty much out of the question. It is fairly easy to adapt an existing FWD platform to AWD, just look at what Ford did with the FWD Moneo to make a Jaguar X-type. If Honda were to build a new full size V8 luxury car, they would have to build a completely new engine, AND a completely new platform, which they definitely are not going to do. None of Honda's 3.0, 3.2, or 3.5L engines are new, Honda just keeps working their magic on them to make them produce more and more horsepower. (Honda is the best in the world at horsepower gains with zero increase in displacement). A new V8 and platform would just cost Honda money they dont have, and there has never been any evidence that Honda would want to enter that market anyway. Nissan has tried to for 15 years with the Q45, and it has never worked.
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    If you do a search you'll find lots of discussion on this in the past. My own gas mileage runs about 19 city/23 hwy (usually around 70-80 mph). I didn't always get that good but then raised the air pressure in my tires to 34 in the summer. Be aware, too, that Acura may have tested the car with the climate control features off -- not a practical thing to do but certainly a contributor to lowering the mileage.

I don't think there's a conspiracy. Just an old engine in an even older platform .... it's been begging for replacement and a new design since '96, the year it came out. Meanwhile, it's a cheap ride for all us luxo wannabes. JW
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    Hey Frank,
    you might want to delete your post and just make your address public in your profile, or replace the @ sign with the word AT. Spammers mine these boards for e-mail addresses!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Interesting issue. It could definitely be argued that the EPA should update its methods for mpg testing, as I dont think you're the only one with a car that doesnt measure up to the window sticker. The XKR swallows gasoline by the ton.
  • mrrogersmrrogers Member Posts: 391
    I agree with JW that tire pressure is critical to getting good gas mileage. I was just over on the Edmunds Toyota Prius discussion, and they are complaining about gas mileage also. One guy is running 42-44 psi in his tires. I think that is a little high. With gas prices going up, 35 to 36 psi does not sound too bad.
  • callmedrfillcallmedrfill Member Posts: 729
    Is this company gonna grow up or not?

If you don't sell a legitimate RWD luxury sedan or build a full-size p/u, then what exactly are you trying to accomplish in America?

Honda has money for a new platform. They did the Pilot/Odyssey, right? They're pretty big vehicles, AND making HUGE sales! So what gives? They figured out in America, bigger is better.
    I'm so sick of this "Can they? Will they?"
    Who cares anymore! MAN!! It's easy to bottom-feed, you know?

DrFill
  • thegriffonthegriffon Member Posts: 12
    Given the downsizing of the TL to compete with the G35 and CTS I think Honda will position the new RL as an E-Class/5-series competitor, about the same size as the current car. The new V6 is competitive, and awd will at least make a good match for the Volvo S80 and Audi A6, but they really need over 300 hp just for credibility, even if most people actually buy V6s in that segment. I think they will find it tough against all the new entires in 2005/6 &#151; STS, A6, M45, G300 etc.