Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RL

Comments

• ksomanksoman Member Posts: 683
    tsk tsk shotgun, you wanna get in trouble for calling her a him?

ksso
  • sburke7sburke7 Member Posts: 37
    I only shared info,,,sorry to have wasted some's time, space, and sensitivity. Consider what I posted as an overview of how one dealer communicates with an RL customer, nothing more.

SBurke7
  • shotgunshotgun Member Posts: 184
    Thanks for the warning Ksoman - I'm already in trouble with Kirstie about a previous post of mine dealing with poor eyesight and brain capacity. Kirstie - I honestly didn't know...please forgive me!
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Classic! LOL

We're starting to see a good deal more information about the other 2005 models, so I expect the RL ads will begin soon. They'll want the publicity to peak when the car hits the market. I'm kinda surprised that we haven't seen TV spots or magazine ads, yet.
  • steveaccordsteveaccord Member Posts: 108
    Hi everyone,

I just got back from a looong vacation in Europe and looked around over there to see what was happening in the automotive realm. I guess I can summurize very effectively what I found out about Honda because we already know. Basically in Europe Honda is offering some models that are not available in the US such as the Accord Station wagon and the Diesel powertrain. Oddly the press considered the release of the 'Legend" as a re-styling rather than a new model (according to their classification I would have guessed a new model to be more fitting!!).
    Bottom line the only thing that got my attention was the new Euro4 spec for the commonrail diesel engines and the number of vehicles in ciruclation that are powered by them. I guess 50% or more of the cars are diesel now and surprisingly suhc a high number is not accopmanied by the usual drawbacks associated to the old diesel engines. I could not detect heavy smoke/smell and noises were very contained. I had a couple of rides on the top 'Lancia' model (the Thesis) and felt very snooth and ready to go.

Going back to the specific of the 2005 RL I qoul also like to see some more activity on Honda part in releasing some details since the suppposed release is only 6 weeks away!
    We'll see.
  • legendmanlegendman Member Posts: 362
    >Going back to the specific of the 2005 RL I qoul (would) also like to see some more activity on Honda part in releasing some details since the suppposed release is only 6 weeks away! <

I agree Steve. Notably, by contrast, Infiniti has already sent me a very nice "teaser" brochure on the new 2006 M. I received it last week after having signed up on their website. It was very nicely done and quite inviting and welcoming. That approach seems in keeping with how Infiniti announced the coming of the then new G35 sedan.

We can all speculate as to why Acura does not do the same -- maybe they "don't have to", etc. But for me, I liked and appreciated the preview-like brochure for the new M. It was very engaging and added to the anticipation of a car that presumably will not be out on the streets until Spring 2005. It also achieved another purpose -- holding off my 2005 RL purchase while reinforcing my thinking about waiting until Spring to see their new model so I can compare the cars in person.
  • mason11mason11 Member Posts: 7
    I visited Weir Canyon Acura in Anaheim Hills, CA yesterday and they have the 05 RL just off the truck and is preparing for dealer/media presentations and test drives. No price listed yet but sure it is amazing to see all these RL in front of you... looked much better than the photos!! Check it out if you live in the LA area.
    P.S. Thank God the tires are 18" Michillin, not the crappy Bridgestone!
    geez, i wonder.. how different is it or similar to what i saw in ny auto show... and 18 inch wheels is a good first step...
    good good
  • formulaformula Member Posts: 17
    Are you sure about the 18's. I have heard that the cars will come standard with 17's. I am assuming that you looked at the size on the tires for this info?
  • starkystarky Member Posts: 7
    RL comes standard with 17"wheels and the 18" wheels are a dealer installed option. Rear electric sunshade and rear side window manual sunshades are also standard together with paddle shifters.
  • formulaformula Member Posts: 17
    Are you sure about the 18's. I have heard that the cars will come standard with 17's. I am assuming that you looked at the size on the tires for this info?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    I was in the thick of dealing with other boards while other hosts were on vacation, so I missed this one - it's gone now. I think it was an honest error, but yeah, we don't allow solicitation or anyone else's personal info (name, e-mail, phone#) to be posted in Town Hall in any case.

shotgun, you're not "in trouble," man!

Sorry for the intrusion... carry on!

Sincerely,
    Kirstie_H, she-host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• chibyrdchibyrd Member Posts: 4
    For some spy shots, check out this guy's site: http://www.superhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175047
  • chibyrdchibyrd Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone heard of Honda creating a V8 for passenger vehicle use? (new RL or MDX??)
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    Nope. I doubt Honda will do it, unless they have enough applications to justify the investment. At this point, only RL, MDX and may be, NSX would be viable candidates. NSX isn&#146;t a volume seller, and based on sales, if a vehicle has V8 as an option, it usually accounts for no more than 15% of the total sales. Which could mean, 200-300 units of RL, and may be 600-800 units of MDX.

1000 cars/month out of over a million sold in a year is about 0.1% of the total market. Instead, Acura decided to give the RL V8 like power. While the V6 won&#146;t match up against the 4.2+ liter V8 engines in low-end power, it won&#146;t match them in price tag either.

If Honda can refine IMA (hybrid power) to an extent that it can be implemented in the RL, the need for V8 could evaporate. Perhaps the Accord Hybrid will provide us with a glimpse of the same.
  • 1violinist1violinist Member Posts: 338
    A friend of mine is thinking about the 04 RL, how good a deal can he get? I hear it's going a couple of grand below invoice! Also, is there any known problems with this model (auto tranny, etc.)? Your input is much appreciated.. thanks!
    A friend of mine is thinking about the 04 RL, how good a deal can he get? I hear it's going a couple of grand below invoice! Also, is there any known problems with this model (auto tranny, etc.)? Your input is much appreciated.. thanks!
  • cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    Hi,
    The spy shots on the site are old, but thanks anyway.
    I heard the rumors that Honda is testing (not thinking) their V8. Can you imagine if they put two S2200's engines together?! 240x2 = 440hp! Obviously that is too optimistic. However, if they can get anywhere near 400hp, it would be a great 4.4L V8.
    Honda could get 400 HP from normally aspirated 3.5-liter V8 (possibly even V6) if they wanted to, but the decision is likely to be based on business needs. At this point, there is ample growth to be had, and at some point, it is either going to be addition of electric assist (IMA) or development of V8, and perhaps a flurry of diesel power plants too based on the direction the market takes.
  • l943973l943973 Member Posts: 197
    Honda executives have said that the only V8 that will ever be in an Acura showroom will be of the beverage variety.
  • l943973l943973 Member Posts: 197
    I could contact all the internet reps at each dealership for a quote. That will give you an idea as to the price. Prices vary based on location. You should easily get less than invoice everywhere. There have been no known problems with the 04. I don't recall ever hearing about major problems in ANY of the RLs.
    > Honda executives have said that the only V8 that will ever be in an Acura showroom will be of the beverage variety.<

That's a good one, LoL. I found I made a typo in 440hp. It should have been 240x2=480hp. And, I do believe Honda executives would eventually yield to the pressure from dealers. MDXs and RLs could well justify the development of a V8 engine. Not to mention if Honda/Acura would like to develop an even larger SUV model.

For a 3.5L V6 to develop 400hp, it must be redlined at around 8400rpm (by projection from TL's 3.2L), and that is assuming perfectly flat torque curve. Not impossible but unlikely considering the cost-effectiveness. New BMW M5's 5.0L V10 develops 507hp with redline at 8200rpm after lots of tuning.
    http://autodeadline.com/index.html

Also '05 Odyssey if interested.
    Powertrain rating just as I expected (and quoted a few days ago!)

What I didn't expect was Acura's aggressive gearing!
    Honda would need a larger bore shorter stroke DOHC version of the 3.5/V6 to try getting 400 HP, but it is certainly doable.

I'm a bit disappointed at the shape of the torque curve from BMW 5.0/V10. Since the displacement is large and BMW gears its cars short, it wouldn't be an issue, but I wonder what a BMW 2.0/I-4 screamer would be like compared to Honda's. Some predictions in the past were about BMW developing a 210-220 HP 2.0, for the 1-series. May be we will see one soon.
    So far I am slightly disappointed in
    - 39.7ft turning circle (new '05 Odyssey gets 36.7ft!!!)
    - 58/42% weight distribution
    - 3950lb in weight
  • hjcanterhjcanter Member Posts: 31
    Check out new RL info on Acura.com website. looks nice.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    A couple of comments on the specs as released:

The final drive gearing, at 4.6:1 is aggressive, but with the very wide range of ratios in the trans., and a deep overdrive of .481:1 (overall = 2.2:1) in top gear ought to provide relaxed highway cruising at reasonable rpm.

And the 26 mpg EPA highway estimate (based on internal testing = hope this holds up) with a 19.4 gal tank would provide a comfortable (theoretical) cruising range of over 450 miles, with some reserve. This I find impressive.

The turning circle is a bit wider than ideal &#150; but this often seems to be an issue with driven front wheels and relatively wide tires (245 / 50 x 17s &#150; are the optional 18s wider still??) and may be a function of clearance and / or some sort of potential &#145;binding&#146; in the drivetrain at extreme wheel angles.

I am still uncertain about the exterior styling.
    - Ray
    Looking forward to seeing one in person . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    Overall gearing is impacted by overall axle ratio. Like S2000, Honda is using a primary (4.600:1) and a secondary (1.238) gear reduction, giving it an (overall) axle ratio of 5.695. So, the overall drive ratios in each of the five forward gears...
    1: 15.359
    2: 8.958
    3: 6.099
    4: 3.952
    5: 2.739

That, in fact is a short fifth! But most interesting thing about the gearing is how short it starts out with. 15.359:1 is very short for an automatic. The shortest I have seen from Honda/Acura is in the RSX with 12.25:1. Accord, TSX, TL, MDX, Odyssey etc. have the same ranging from 11.35:1 to 11.55:1.

But, Honda also managed to spread the gear ratios wider (the fifth gear is 5.6 times taller than the first gear which is well past a typical automatic/manual transmission). Still, the fifth gear ODR is quite short (2.739:1 compared to about 2.13:1 in TL). Thats going to make it a very responsive car.

With this gearing, and output, I'm actually surprised Honda managed to get 18/26 mpg. This may be based off internal testing, but this is likely going to match EPA estimates.

As far as turning diameter is concerned, not just tire width, but also the steering setup can play a role. Honda may be aggressive with that as well (but not as much in Odyssey). Not sure how much difference MacPherson struts (in Odyssey) would make compared to double wishbones (in RL) in this regard.
  • proeproe Member Posts: 157
    I am somehow disappointed on the weight of the new RL and its engine output.

For Accord EX-V6
    Weight: 3384 lbs
    Engine output:
    240hps@6250 rpm, 14.1 lbs/hp
    212ft-lb@5000 rpm, 15.96 lbs/ft-lb

For RL
    Weight: 3984 lbs
    Engine output:
    300hps@6200 rpm, 13.28 lbs/hp
    260ft-lb@5000 rpm, 15.32 lbs/ft-lb

I assume new RL would have much better engine output than Accord V6.
    Could someone tell me why RL is much better car than Accord V6 specifically on the performance department? Or is it?

Any input is welcome.

Thank you very much
  • proeproe Member Posts: 157
    robertmx,
      Could you elaborate more the gear ratio in terms of how does the gear ratio affect the performace of the car?

Thank you very much
    Technically, the RL 3.5 simply follows the design rules used in development of TL 3.2. Both of these engines share the basic design with Accord 3.0. The Accord V6, however, is not tuned as aggressively as its larger displacement counterparts.

As far as weight is concerned, additional features, larger size (RL is larger than Accord, inside and out), chassis reinforcements (for reduced NVH, greater rigidity, to handle more power etc) quickly add to the heft. Besides, there is about 220 lb. from the incorporation of the AWD system. If you remove 220 lb. (AWD) from the weight, the new RL would end up being lighter than the outgoing RL. I was expecting the RL to weigh around 3850 lb., so it did end up on the heavier side.

Weight to power ratio is a good indicator of performance, especially for a typical 0-60 or quarter mile run. In that regard, RL and TL should be very similar and better than Accord. So, for RL, the run could be in low 6 seconds, but I think 6.5s (0-60) is a safe bet, about the same for TL.

Weight to torque ratio doesn&#146;t work the same way though. Gearing affects the picture (I will address that later). But, besides accelerative performance, RL gains from a performance oriented AWD system which doubles as an all-weather feature as well.

I will address your question on gear ratios and gearing in another post.
    Generally lately Acura/Honda talk at length on how 80% or 90% or whatever of the torque is available from 2500 rpm onwards blah blah... but despite all the information (mostly interestingly good), i did not see such a quote on the torque curve on this RL... for most low torque honda engines the torque curve coming on flat early on has been a necessity... what giveS?

ksso
    I will try my best but this could get long, and boring. Anyway, you asked for it, so deal with it! :-)

Engine speed (rpm) and wheel speed (mph) are directly related. So, when an engine is revving at 2000 rpm, that rate translates to some &#147;rpm&#148; at the wheels. The translation depends on the overall gearing from the spinning crankshaft to the wheels. This also means that if there is a &#147;translation&#148; that allows you to get to 60 mph when engine is revving at 2000 rpm, it is also possible to get to only 10 mph when the engine speed is same (2000 rpm). The difference would be in the &#147;translation&#148; (or the gearing).

We need gearing to not only translate the engine speed to certain wheel speed, but since that translation also affects the thrust that is generated (what you feel as you take off), we end up having a compromise: More thrust or more speed. You get one or the other.

So, we start with gear 1. It provides the &#147;shortest gearing&#148; which translates to more thrust but less speed (for the same engine speed). But before I elaborate on this, let us look at the basics that affect gearing using spec sheet from the new RL.
    The five (forward) gear ratios are:
    1: 2.697:1
    2: 1.573:1
    3: 1.071:1
    4: 0.694:1
    5: 0.481:1

Axle Ratio: 4.600:1
    Normally, cars have only one axle ratio. With S2000, and with this new RL, Honda has opted to use a secondary axle ratio: 1.238:1.

The primary and secondary axle ratio combine to give a net effect of 4.600*1.238 = 5.695:1 axle ratio.

BTW, when you see a mention of &#147;close ratio&#148; gearing, it indicates that the &#147;spacing&#148; between consecutive gears is small. Rather, they are close. You can derive it in percentages. In case of RL, if you calculate percentage of second gear ratio as it relates to first… 1.573 * 100/2.697 = 58%.

So, second gear is 58% of the first gear. The same between second and third is 68%. So, second and third are closer to each other than are first and second gear. If you looked at S2000&#146;s gearing (with the 2.0 engine), the numbers got closer with each gear: 65% (1-2), 72.5% (2-3), 80% (3-4), 85% (4-5) and 85% (5-6). This is just to give you an idea what close ratio means.

Another aspect that affects overall gearing is the wheel size. Smaller diameter wheels work as shorter gears and larger wheels work as larger gears. In case of RL, the wheel size is: P245/50/R17 (&#147;245&#148; is width of the tires, &#147;50&#148; is the aspect ratio and &#147;17&#148; is the rim size).

If you want to know how wheel diameter can be calculated (in inch), here we go (the &#147;other&#148; numbers in the formula are for conversion from millimeter to inch):
    Diameter = 17+ (245 * 2) * 50/(25.4 * 100) = 26.65 inch

Going back to the gear ratios, they, by themselves, don&#146;t mean much. We combine (multiply) each of those gear ratios with the axle ratio (5.695:1 in this case) to derive &#147;overall drive ratios&#148; (let us call it &#147;ODR&#148;). So, the ODR for each of the five forward gears (gear ratio multiplied by axle ratio):
    1: 15.359
    2: 8.958
    3: 6.099
    4: 3.952
    5: 2.739
    Now, to determine how gearing (from now on, we will use ODR, along with wheel diameter) affects performance, let us throw in redline: 6800 rpm. Here is a simplified formula to calculate the Wheel Speed in each gear (at the specified engine speed).

Wheel Speed (mph) = [Engine speed (rpm) * Wheel Diameter (inch)]/(336 * ODR)

So, to determine wheel speed that RL can achieve in &#147;first gear&#148; at its &#147;redline&#148;, we plug in the numbers…

Wheel Speed = 6800 * 26.65 / (336 * 15.359) = 35 mph

So, RL will top out at 35 mph if you stay in the first gear through the red line. To go any faster, you would have to go to the second or higher gear. You could use the same formula for any other gear. Alternatively, since we already know the second gear is 58% of the first, it also means that top speed in first gear is 58% of the top speed in the second gear. So, the top speed in second gear will be 35/0.58 = 61 mph. And so on.

BTW, if the transmission shifts from first to second at redline, the engine speed will drop to 58% of the redline (closer the ratio, the less the drop will be). This means, in first gear you will hit 35 mph at 6800 rpm, and as the second gear is selected, the revs will drop to about 3900 rpm (which will correspond to 35 mph in second gear) and you continue to accelerate from there to a top speed of 61 mph in second gear and so on.

So far we have seen how gearing can be used and related to wheel speed. Next, we will relate it to thrust (another part of the equation).
    We know that RL can get to 35 mph in first, 61 mph in second and so on. So, why not start with second gear ratio as the first and manage 61 mph in a single gear? We can thus avoid a shift. Well, why not simply have a single gear ratio for the purpose? The answer lies in the very definition of horsepower (think relationship, rather a compromise between rate and force), but I won&#146;t go there at this time unless you want me to.

Here is another formula that I love having fun with, calculation of thrust. Most people assume that torque is directly responsible for thrust, well it is, but not without giving consideration to gearing. Here we go:

Thrust (g&#146;s) = (0.85* Torque (lb.-ft) * ODR * 24) / [Total Weight of vehicle (lb) * Wheel Diameter (inch)]

&#147;0.85&#148; is used to factor in the drive train loss since we usually assume drive train loss to be about 15%. &#147;24&#148; is just a conversion factor for the inch to feet conversion and use of diameter instead of radius.

At peak torque, in first gear and with 175 lb. driver, the total weight of RL would be 4159 lb. Plugging in the numbers,

Thrust = 0.85 * 260 * 15.359 * 24 / (4159 * 26.65) = 0.73g.

That, actually is very impressive from a V6 powering a luxury sedan. By comparison, the same calculation for TL and Accord (both automatic) yield about 0.60g (a little less for Accord, a little more for TL). So, off the line, RL will feel much stronger despite of having more weight and a relatively moderate increase in torque. This is another place where gearing (rather, overall gearing) shows up.

Just like that, you can compare thrust at any point (rpm) that you know the torque output for, and in any gear. In second gear, the max thrust will drop to 0.43g. And now the compromise between thrust and wheel speed is more obvious.

Finally, the overall gearing also determines the cruising engine speed. In case of RL, an interesting point comes up due to its very short first gear (ODR) compared to TL and relatively short fifth gear (ODR). Using our speed calculation formula from previous post, we can actually find out the engine speed at which RL will cruise (at 60 mph or whatever). Shuffling the variables to calculate for engine speed:

Engine speed (rpm) =[Wheel Speed (mph) * 336 * ODR]/Wheel Diameter (inch)

Calculating for 60 mph in fifth gear:
    Engine Speed = 60 * 336 * 2.739 / 26.65 = 2072 rpm.

That&#146;s actually higher than the engine speed at which Accord V6 and TL (with automatic transmission) cruise. This would also be a good reason why estimated fuel economy for RL is 26 mpg (compared to 28-30 mpg in the Accord or TL). But, I also think that Acura has planned to incorporate VCM into RL in the future given their gear selection (shorter fifth, like they have done in Odyssey with VCM compared to Odyssey without).
    I&#146;ve become quite good at predicting things for Honda/Acura, so bear with my crystal ball, again.

A typical Honda engine is tuned to deliver at least 90% of its peak torque from 2500 rpm, and attains 95% of its peak torque by 3000 rpm.

The 3.5/V6 in MDX was originally designed to deliver at least 95% of its peak torque (back then, 245 lb.-ft @ 3000 to 5000 rpm) between 2000 and 5500 rpm. With minor tweaks applied, this engine now produces 253 lb.-ft at peak (3500 rpm to 5000 rpm), and is shows producing 90% or more from just 1500 rpm. This means that MDX gets about 227 lb.-ft at just 1500 rpm.

The 3.5/V6 in RL is derived from it. So, it may have very similar torque curve at the low end, but since the peak is higher, 90% of MDX torque output isn&#146;t 90% of RL torque output. But, if I were to guess, I would say, the RL engine is producing at least 90% of its peak torque (or at least 235 lb.-ft) from 2000 to 6500 rpm.

If not at Wieck, I&#146;m sure the torque curve is going to show up at Honda&#146;s JDM website and I will be looking for it. As soon as I see it, you may find it here. Then we can validate the authenticity of my crystal ball. Again!
    Well, add me to the list of people who don't like seeing a 3,984 lb curb weight. I think that the gearing will make up for the porkiness, but I can't help but wonder what the car would be like if it didn't need short gearing.

Otherwise, I like what I'm seeing. I was hoping for an extra 5 lb-ft from the V6, but that's not even worth complaining about. There's a good list of features, and decent interior space (according to the numbers).
    I think there is an additional 5 lb.-ft or so, but Honda went with a well-rounded number (and I expected it).

I also think it would be rather difficult to trim down much weight off the RL outside of going to major design changes/widespread use of aluminum alloy et al. I'm sure the execs took note of it, but did the best they could. Its amazing how heavy the cars are getting these days. Look at the new Odyssey! It was heavy six years ago at about 4300 lb. Now it is heavier! At least fuel economy is expected to stay the same or improve.
    Brilliant educational posts! Robertmx - You sir, are a scholar and a gentleman - My hat off to you!
    I went looking through the pics for the Ody and they have a torque curve there. None for the RL, though.

Yeah, cars are getting heavy. I suspect that making them safe in a crash, silent on the road, and filled with goodies is simply one too many goals for a featherweight. But I was hoping that the use of aluminum subframes would have kept the weight under 3,800.
    add another 1/4th pound... lol

Robertsmx, dude, you rule.

ksso
  • bartalk2bartalk2 Member Posts: 326
    1) Weight
    2) Mileage
    3) Turning circle

Accord Hybrid anyone?
  • sckorsckor Member Posts: 1
    It appears based on the descriptions I've been able to find that the RL doesn't have split fold rear seats - just a pass through.

I was watching the RL with interest, but now it just dropped off my list for consideration. I don't understand why Honda isn't putting them in... The TL also became a non-starter for the same reason.
  • gnarlygnarly Member Posts: 13
    Messages 2019 and 2020, posted in the early morning hours of Sept. 1st, reference new content regarding the 2005 RL on the Acura web site. As of 9:00 pm EDT, same day, that content has been pulled, or the web site is malfunctioning. Although the RL prototype button is now gone, the new 2005 RL button only takes you to info on the NSX, MDX, and RSX, and the regular 2004 RL data remains. Were some erroneous specs published, I wonder, and subsequently taken down?

New poster - "GnaRLy" - happy owner of a '96 RL and prospective purchaser of an '05.
  • dc661dc661 Member Posts: 71
    I had the same problem trying to use Firefox browser. Tried the site with Internet Explorer and it worked fine. (Make sure pop ups are NOT blocked.) Its basically a mini-site for the new RL.

Sidenote - the interior is stunning. I want this car!
    Robertsmx -Based on your various calculations on torque, gearing, drive ratios and your propensity, for the most part, for being "right on the money" - Given the RL's drag coefficient of .29, and weight of 3,900+ lbs - what do you estimate is the RL's top speed?
    Thanks shotgun/ksoman.

shotgun,
    Thats hard to figure out. But I assume it may be around 150 mph. I believe someone tested TL at 152 mph, not sure who. RL may match that.
  • prophet2prophet2 Member Posts: 372
    Carmakers consider folding rear seats too utilitarian for their top-line luxo class cruisers and unbecoming of their image. They offer the ski opening as a concession.

BTW, while it's interesting to read all the technical prose about the weight, turning-circle, gearing, etc. about the new RL, I'll base my judgment on an extended test drive putting the car through its paces.

I expected a weight increase with the addition of the SH-AWD system, so the "porkiness" of the '05 is a non-factor for mr.
  • micartiemicartie Member Posts: 2
    I just went to Canadiandriver website and they had a news post saying Acura Canada has just announced the MSRP for the new 2005 RL. It apparently has jumped from C$55,000 for the old 2004 to C$69,500 for the brand new 2005. That seems a very large jump even taking into consideration the significant amount of improvements in the 2005 version. We are talking about Lexus territory here. In fact, for C$70,000, you can alomost get an Audi S4. I thought I would get one of these new RLs but if the price is indeed correct, I am leaning more towards an Infiniti M45 or FX45 now. What do you guys think? I don't think Acura US has announced their pricing yet.