Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac DeVille

Comments

• nathanmerrillnathanmerrill Member Posts: 4
    I'm currently looking at a 99 base model Deville silver w/gray interior and fake convertible roof. 32k on the clock- dealer's asking 23k for it. Anything in particular I should look out for in this vehicle? Thanks in advance-

NB Merrill
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    ....DON'T GET the fake convertible roof. It ruins the car and makes it look like a pimpmobile!
  • hydra2hydra2 Member Posts: 114
    Recently test drove a 2002 DTS with tilt/telescope wheel, but no night vision or nav and had the following impressions:

1. Unbelievable power from 300 hp Northstar.
    2. Smooth ride, great cornering, outstanding brakes.
    3. Striking good looks (sterling/gray).
    4. Impressed by rear parking assist, it works well.
    5. Loved the bucket seats and console shifter, but not crazy about detents.

Two things disappointed me:
    1. The sun visor had no extension (although the two visors were nice). A car this sexy (and expensive) should have low etch gizmos like sun visor extensions imho.
    2. The dealer had slapped those tacky faux convertible treatments on a number of cars.

I also test drove a Park Avenue Ultra. I liked its power and comfort but it was no dts(It was a demo with 2k miles. The dealer was willing to part with it for 34K). In fairness it did not have the Gran Touring Option, although it was loaded with almost every other option. It also did not have a console mounted shifter. It did not look nearly as good as the dts either. It was plain and outdated looking, but I liked the fact that it has the same size trunk as the DTS.

The caddy dealer wants just under 47k for the dts with the lux pak, moonroof and chrome wheels.

Many posts in the Park Avenue forum leave me concerned about suspension vibration problems mentioned by owners of older Park Avenues.

Has any Deville owner had similar problems? Or is/was this a problem limited to the Park Avenue?

Please forgive my long post.

Thank you for any info you can share with me.

Hydra2
  • flamingoflamingo Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2001 DHS and it burns about one quart of oil every 2000 miles. I would like to know
    what sort of experience others have had. Is
    this too much or is it just the nature of the beast?
  • snomojoesnomojoe Member Posts: 14
    Flamingo. My 2000 DTS used about l quart in 3000 miles 'til about 18000 miles when I started using Mobil 1 synthetic. Usage tapered off slowly and now I can expect1/2 quart or less in 3000 - 4000 miles. I suspect this improvement is the result of breakin and the Mobil 1. Most likely more credit to breakin because the performance REALLY improved from about 22000 miles to current 27000 miles.

I have to agree with recent post about test driving a new DTS. I've had my DTS for two years now and I still am impressed with the car and look forward to every driving experience (It is our "road car" for trips.) It is AWSOME on the highway - performance, comfort, handling. appearance. (I often receive comments and "thumbs up" from admirers at stop lights and parking lots.)
  • jmanfrojmanfro Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Deville with about 17,000 miles on the odometer. If my highway driving is consistently 70 mph or above, I have to add one to two quarts of Mobil 1 5W/30 every 5,000 miles. As long as I do not exceed 65 mph on the highway, I noticed that oil consumption is reduced. It still burns some oil but not nearly as much as when my highway speed is 70 mph or more.
  • baron87baron87 Member Posts: 93
    A few hours ago, my mom and I were in the car coming home from playing golf. We were stopped in traffic, when an Acura slammed into the rear of our car at about 20-25 MPH, we subsequently rolled into an older Buick Riviera in front of us. I must credit Cadillac and GM with nothing short of a miracle of engineering. While, the Acura was completely totalled and had to be towed, our DTS sustained relatively little damage. My mom and I sustained no whiplash either thanks to an excellent seat/head restraint design.

The DTS performed flawlessly, the exhausts dropped down and the rear facia took the hit. The aluminum bumper structure was undamaged. It really amazes me that our car took so little damage. The Buick's bumper cracked, and our front facia is slightly damaged. Thanks to OnSTAR about four police vehicles, a fire-truck, and an ambulance were at the scene in less than two-minutes. Today, I must really say thank-you to GM, for keeping us safe, for getting help on the scene, and keeping our car he least damaged as possible in what could have been a farily serious accident. THANK YOU!! And now the DTS will be taking a long vacation in the Cadillac body-shop...I don't even want to know how much exhaust replacement, lower-body parts replacement, plus two bumper facia replacements cost! But the main thing is I am fine, as is my mom, thanks to a fantastic car.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    and I'm really glad you both are okay.
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    Does anyone know if the DeVille DTS has a better soundproofing package than the Seville STS and is therefore a more quiet car at highway speeds? Is there any significant difference in the suspensions and handling of the two cars? Lastly, is the acceleration of the DTS about the same as the STS or is the Seville more spritely?

Thanks.
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Member Posts: 1,203
    Sorry to hear you guy's Caddy got hit, but at least you and your mom are okay. Serves that POS Acura right to be totalled. If I'd been your mom, I'd probably have been ready to beat the "you know what" out of the person that hit me. Especially with golf clubs in the car:) Let me guess, Acura driver was yakin on the cell phone or putting make-up on in the visor mirror.
  • baron87baron87 Member Posts: 93
    Well, ironically, the two people in the Acura were like 18-year old girls, who had just graduated from the high school I am going to in downtown Chicago ( I live in the suburbs). So, that was a weird twist. They just said, "We didn't see there was a car stopped". Right, with Cadillac's Vegas Strip-esque blinding LEDS they couldn't see we were stopped. Oh well, I guess you can't avoid being hit for too long.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    ...appeal to those who also wear the big hats with a feather.
    How come noone seems to like the fake convertible roofs that some dealers install? Looks better than a Landau roof in my book , aand gives the car a tad more class. Am I just dating myself, or are my tastes just different? (I promise I will NEVER buy a pair of fuzzy dice for it :)
  • jeff186jeff186 Member Posts: 95
    Fake convertible tops need those tires with the HUGE whitewalls. And you should be wearing a leopard-spotted cape when you drive it. LOL.
    are examples of over-the-top mods that many buyers of luxury cars like the Deville find distasteful (of course, taste is subjective).

The same may be said of heavily chromed custom grills, wide oval white walls and maybe the fake spare tire on the rear bumper. Many would also be put off by over dressed mag wheels that seem to detract from the personality of a beautiful car like the Deville. The car is elegant, so less (mods) is more.

Unfortunately, custom shops and dealers are only to happy to oblige those who find these mods appealing and have the $$$$ to pay for them.
  • sweetjeldoradosweetjeldorado Member Posts: 94
    To me, the base Deville looks better with a cloth/vinyl top than DHS and DTS because the standing hood ornament makes the Deville more elegant and stately than the grilled mounted ornament in the DHS and DTS-the sportier looking than the Deville.

I do like the flashy wheels, Rolls Royce grill, and gold package as well but I rather have my Deville in plain, thanks.

J "CaddyLac"
    If the fake roof is too tacky, can it be removed? What would have to be done as far as holes in the sheet metal, etc.?
    Does anyone think that Cadillac is losing sales to the younger 45-55 year old buyers it is trying to reach by not making sporty options like, fog lights, bucket seats, analog guages, 17" wheels available except on the pricier DTS?

Buyers living where it snows a lot don't mind fwd and many also want beauty, power, comfort, handling and a big trunk (BMW not withstanding).

If Cadillac offered the above options on the Base DeVille, yet kept the price close to 40K and restricted nav and night vision to DHS and DTS models for 45-55K would more younger buyers snap them up as screaming values or would it turn off the base models more traditional buyers?
  • jgranatajgranata Member Posts: 70
    couldn't agree more; major mistake by gm as far as
    i'm concerned. the big one for me, is the lack of
    the bucket seats...for me (6'4" 190 lbs) it's more for comfort and more adjustment with a bucket seat...i must say in all fairness i have not sat in any current generation deville but i would think that the bucket would have at least the lumbar adjustment that the bench wouldn't have. also, there's people out there that don't want the sportier ride or price of the dhs and the dts...i suspect that's something that will
    probably change in the near future...jackg
    I think the CTS is Cadillac's vehicle to attract younger buyers. As for the Deville, I'm 27 and I'd settle for the base model, although I wish they at least would put the gauge cluster from the DHS and DTS in it. Even with the features you mentioned at a 40K price, the "run of the mill" under 40 somethings would still never consider the Deville due to it's large size and image.
    The split bench seats on the Base and DHS offer lumbar support, although the option on the Base is not as sophisticated as the DHS and DTS. All of the seats are comfortable.

You should test drive the Deville. You may be surprised and impressed by both its comfort and handling (even the base model)considering its size.

No Deville is a sports car, although the DTS is sporty with a capital "S".

The most serious knock on the split bench seats is that when you give in to the temptation to do a little spirited driving (Northstar. power is a corrupting influence)you tend to slide around more on the bench seats than the buckets which hold you in place much better.
    You are correct in pointing out that the CTS is designed to pull in the under 40 buyers. Most of them are looking for smaller rwd sports sedans where backseat and trunk space are secondary issues. It is also an entry level luxery car for those who moving up from basic family sedans. Entry level luxery is roughly 30-40k.

The DeVille is for those moving up from entry level to full luxery (more gadgets, more comfort, more $). These are normally people who are a bit more mature and successful. Luxery cars roughly start at 40K, but when well equiped with AT and all the goodies they can easily stretch into 50-60k range (that's why the v8 powered DeVille is such a bargain in its class) and on up into the super lux range of 70-125k.

Cadillac is trying to reach the under 40 crowd, but they are probably more concerned about the fact that the traditional buyers of the DeVille, their best selling car, are probably in the mid-to-late 60's. I suspect that the under 40 crowd is a bonus market. The new market or age group they hope to see in Devilles is probably the 45-55 years old.

Of course, they would love to see more buyers who are 27 or even 37 in DeVilles.

Btw the more youthful enthusiasts are turned off by the Deville's nationality, image, size, fwd and (for some)its price. You can get a stripper "3" or "c" series (but with AT,sport and lux options you get to 40-50k in a heartbeat), a g35 or a CTS for about 35k.

Good luck to you.
    thanks for the info on the seats...i would love to
    take a deville for a spin, but don't trust myself to "just say no"...too cheap...jack g
    Brought home a new DTS Friday. It's Cashmere with the comfort and conv. group, moonroof and chrome wheels.

The power, ride and stereo are sweet. Not in love with the color (yet), of course, the wife loves it, but I prefer it over sterling (too dull) and black (too much like a funeral limo), bronze mist, red and white didn't appeal either.

Handles well, but feels bigger than my LHS even though they are the same size except for a few hundred pounds extra heft in the DTS.

Onstar antennae seems to be an invitation to vandals, sigh, wish they had made it less vulnerable. I need to check the manual to see how easy it is to remove. Wheel locks will be my first accessory.

The manual says no special break in required, beyond varying speed and not standing on the brakes early on. Any one have any first hand advice on break in?

Love the car. Looking forward to my first trip.
  • sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    lUCKY YOU ! My 96 is still purring.
    I want a CTS or a Lesabre. Dealers
    around Syracuse NY have a few CTS but
    will not do GMO-GMS deal.....
    Keep us posted..........geo
    Onstar antenna is typical glass mount cell phone antenna. The mast will unscrew from the base and can be removed. They will do this at most full service car washes before taking your car through the wash.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    I was 29 when I purchased a new base DeVille in 1994. I just traded it in January for a new STS.
    My other car is a 1989 Brougham I purchased at age 24! I guess I really threw their demographics for a loop!
    are really the dividing line imo for car buyers. there's a perception that the younger set (i'm 54)
    wants small nimble cars and the majority probably do, but i am always surprised by how many young
    people want a large car and i'm talking deville size. this is one reason why i think the real future of cadillac is the deville and not the cts.
    the cts is a great car for a select group of drivers, while the deville is the bread and butter of caddy...i think they sell a 100,00 or so
    each year. gm needs to expand the option list on the deville line and offer the buckets in the base, with the console and floor shifter..that would put me much closer to getting a new caddy. the numbers for a dts is just too rich for my blood...jackg
  • ppattersonppatterson Member Posts: 22
    Anyone have any experience with the Cadillac dealers in the Metro Atlanta area. What are your impressions of the car in terms of quality. What about the cost of maintenance. What are the costs for oil changes, front brakes and major services Considering a 2002 base Deville......Thanks.......
  • rofsts2rofsts2 Member Posts: 1
    I have delt with Hennessy Cadillac in Duluth for several years now with my '99 STS,
    so far so good, my only costs have been $30.00 oil / filter changes which I do every
    6 months or 3k miles. All else was warranty (maby 3 visits in 3 years) have extended
    wty that takes it to 6 years from purchase, don't think I would want such a complicated
    car without protection. Have the tires/alignment serviced at GranTurismo in Chamblee,
    as they are equipped to spin balance on the vehicle, this costs $60-$80 a visit, (at 7500k
    interval) sts's are fussy about tire balance. Check with Kurt Hunter in sales, he was good
    to me, good luck !!!
  • pitbossnjpitbossnj Member Posts: 4
    The Demographics have gone down tremendosly since Caddy introduced the new Deville. When I purchased my 2001 Deville, I was told by the dealer, Alco Cadillac, that I was the youngest person to ever purchase a Deville from them (age 19). When I was there recently for service they informed me that 5 other people between the ages of 21-27 have purchased Deville's from them. The bottom line is that Caddy finally made a Deville that is more appealing to the younger driver for many reasons ranging from the preformance to the look.
    Thats pretty cool you were able to buy a new Deville at just 19. I'm 27 and would love a Deville DTS, trouble is the price is just a bit out of my range. Price and the large size is still what is going to keep alot of young drivers away.
    Will soon be taking a trip from Chicago to Knoxville, TN.

I am torn between driving my 95 Chrysler LHS with 70k miles or my new DTS with 100 miles.

I am a bit concerned about the need to vary the speed on the DTS during the first 500 or so miles, but much more concerned about a possible need to downshift the tranny climbing and descending the mountains.

Do most of you downshift? Anyone experience tranny problems after serious mountain driving?

Thanks for any advice or comments.

Btw, while I love the caddy, the cab-forward design of the chrysler makes it handle and feel like a much smaller car. The caddy wins in most other areas like quietness, comfort, trunk, power, technology, safety.

Glad to hear that the DeVille appeals to a cross section of demographic buyers. I hope this trend doesn't drive up insurance rates for the model :)
    Hi all, I was on carsdirect.com today and I see that they were selling Devilles at invoice, but now are $4,000 below invoice because of a GM rebate. I'm assuming the $4,000 is in lieu of the 0% financing they just announced.
    a local chevy dealer just sold a 2002 base deville
    with 10,000 miles for 28,500...that deal sounded good enough to tempt even tight-wad yours truly...jackg
  • vic19vic19 Member Posts: 56
    The above two posts are logically connected. If the purchase price is cheap, the resale is also cheap. Of course, the fact is that whatever the buyer of a new car pays and what the buyer of a used car pays is the market. If cars can only be sold with a hefty rebate, well that says a lot about the car.

The problem for the manufacturer is that he must give up his profit two ways. First the rebate and then the residual if he leases the car. To keep the lease payment competitive, the manufacturer must specify a bloated residual that will bit him when he gets the car back.

What all this says to the buyer is buy cheap or you'll get screwed.
    there are many reasons why a manufacturer will discount a product. some manufacturers do not have the deep pockets to offer discounts, even though they may want to. in some cases discounts are offered to drive competitors out of business, in extreme cases. it's important to keep in mind that american manufacturers sell vehicles in numbers that some foreign manufacturers can only dream of and this allows the american companies to offer
    discounts and absorb the financial hit. the smaller companies don't have a choice, they could
    never cover the loss to the bottom line and stay in business. also, as some other posters' have noted, one man's loss is another's gain...the price on used caddys are great for someone who doesn't mind buying 2nd hand. if someone pays list
    or close to it and then tries to turn it in for a newer model a couple years later, that's when it
    hurts. customers expect to be able to return the car to the dealer they bought it from and get a decent price toward the purchase of a new car. this applies to all dealers not just caddys..the
    dealers are in it, to buy low and sell high, and it doesn't matter if it's their product your driving onto the lot or another make. jackg
  • vic19vic19 Member Posts: 56
    With the revamp of it's line. Let's hope Cad can get it's resale value up.

The basic problem with the Lincoln LS is that it's resale value has lagged it's Germand and Japanese competitors.
    GM is obligated to pay its assembly line workers 90% of their normal wage if a production line is shut down, under the current contract. Financially, it makes sense for GM to keep the lines open and produce cars, even if big rebates are needed to sell the merchandise. The consumer wins.
    after posting my comments and reading others, i realized that i just touched the tip of the iceberg. if i had to put my finger on the one aspect of car ownership that the americans (and some of the foreign manufacturers too) totally miss the boat on is cust service. i have no idea
    how it works in europe or japan, but as we all know the dealerships are independently (sp?) owned and this is the real issue ,i think, most of us have with american cars. i truly believe that the quality of the product is competitive, it's the experience at the dealer that sucks; and it's not all bad, there are reputable dealerships out there. for example, when buying a
    luxury marque such as lincoln or caddy or chrysler, a loaner should be included for all service scheduled in advance, this is not asking too much, it should be the rule and it should be done courteiously (sp?). this is something that the manufacturers will have to get involved with, if they are to truly try and run head to head with the mercs,bmws and the like.

as far as value of the product re discounts and resale prices, this is something that to my way of thinking is really dependent on the individual
    buyer. now idon't consider myself typical because i am a stock owner when it comes to car
    ownership: buy and hold. it's not unusual for me
    to hold onto a car for ten years or longer. to me, the fact that a car will notbe worth very much a few years after being purchased new, isn't really important; and to repeat myself, this can work to my advantage when considering a used vehicle: case in point is the 300m. i am amazed at the great prices that you can pick up a second hand 300m with low miles; this is right up my alley. this is something that the individual buyer must assess about their needs before they put their money down. in most cases people lease or buy and get rid of it in a few years and then of course price becomes a major big deal. so i'm not trying to negate the importance of price and discounts, it's very important if you're not going to hold onto it.
    one thing that i try and remember when making comparisons to the foreign makers and the big three (well 2 and a half): they are producing product for a country (market) of 240 million
    people, from death valley to adak...that's a handful...jack g
  • topgun7topgun7 Member Posts: 412
    If you decided to buy this car, you definitely need to prepare for the low resale value. We purchased a 01 DTS after 9/11. The car has a msrp of $50k and our purchase price is about $44,000 ($2,000 below invoice) and on top of it we had a rebate coupone of $1000 for owning an olds + GM Card earning etc. and our out the door price is about $42,000 + tax (total about $47k). In addition to it, we also got 0% finance for 5 years (they financed the tax and license fee as well). I thought I did great. Not quite one year later, I am taking a job transfer and was thinking of changing the deville to a smaller car. Guess what the dealer is willing to take it for about $31K (selling it myself is not much better. I may be able to get $33-34K). If you take $31k, that is about 38% depreciation in one year. Some of the Lexus car has depreciation of 40% after 4 years of ownership not just one year... If I keep the car for another 4 years, I will do o.k. since the 0% finance will kick in and this deville will be cheaper to own than a Lexus GS400. I guess the moral of the story is that you have to really like this car and keep it for a while. Otherwise, the depreciation is going to kill us.
    Topgun, I see your point. I guess we have to acknowledge that foreign luxury cars (Infiniti, Lexus, Mercedes-Benz)are the most sought after luxury cars. Cadillac has fallen off the mountaintop. Yes, those foreign luxury cars hold their value much better than Caddy because most yuppies want them and not Cadillacs. And they are more reliable, from what I read in Consumer Reports. But I want a DeVille anyways, I like old movies and collect old magazines. I want a Deville before they stop making them forever, just like the Eldorado. Caddy's clientele is dying off and I hope in 2-3 years, I can get an old-fashioned Deville. Pnly thing better would be a circa early 1990s Brougham, big, long and harkening back to when Eisenhower was president.
    Cadillac's traditional owner base may be dying off, but they attracting a new generation of customer. It's true the "yuppies" may never buy a Cadillac, but Cadillac is aiming for the generation that came after them. I'm 27 and the CTS is high on my list for a new car in a year or so. I also love the styling of the current Deville, especially in DTS trim. The old Broughams of the 80s and early 90s were classy looking cars, but their chassis and mechanicals are way out of date. The current Deville is contemporary looking while distinctively being a Cadillac. The CTS is just pure fun to drive. And it's funny that the most "boatlike" of all Cadillacs, the Escalade" is the one attracting the youngest buyers to the brand. The CTS will probably change that though.
    I live in Konxville, I take it your visiting the Great Smokey Mountains national park. If you haven't taken the drive yet, TAKE THE CADDY!! The 9 1/2 hour drive from Chi town to K town will go by so quick. I did the reverse trip last fall as my company is based in Chicago and even with my "lowly" Oldsmobile Intrigue, I had a great time driving.
    I agree with you that Caddy is trying to get younger buyers and the CTS is a very good effort. Unfortunately, there seems to be a stigma among some folks about buying a Caddy vs. a BMW or Benz. What's hip or chic or flavor of the month doesn't concern me. The Deville is distinctly American and seems an enduring icon to me. As for the Escalade, a couple of rap song and yes, it is a hot hot hot vehicle to own. Love to know what the profit margin is on an Escalade, gotta be several thousand dinero.
    i don't think that gm will kill off the deville; the bigger issue, imo, is whether or not the deville will remain fwd or follow the seville. personally, i hope it stays fwd; better for day to day driving. jackg
    I took the Caddy and boy was I glad I did. I actually went to a little town called Sweetwater about 45 miles south of Knoxville.

The power and handling of the DTS is unbelievable. It just ate up the miles. My wife didn't want to stop driving and is eager for our next trip. We didn't go insane, but we did the trip in nine hours. Wow, what an automobile!

I got lots of compliments on the car. The looks and style of this car is under-rated by critics. The more I look at it the better it looks.

Saw several DeVilles on the hwy. Most were white, silver or red.

Gas milage ranged from 22-24 mpg at 70-80 mph.
    It is difficult to compare the depreciation of a DeVille to a BMW 3 or 5 series or a MB C or E series because the imports have a much greater price range from low to high.

DeVilles range from 40-55 maybe 60k loaded, whereas the imports range from 30 - 65k or up to 125k counting the 7 and S and the various performances mods.

The infinite price points of the imports allow them to reach value buyers without having to do as much outright discounting new car prices or needing depreciation to bring the price of used cars down to affordable or value levels. Value leases on the imports abound especially with 4k cap reduction on BMW 7.

Posters should consider some of these more complex issues before swallowing the myth that different depreciation rates make the imports better cars.

One reason that might also explain the low depreciation of the BMW is that there are so many models within a model (essentially the same car with different engine/tranny/options)that image seeking buyers feel that even a cheap BMW can't be easily told from its more expensive stablemates. I read somewhere that BMW is considering a 20k model for the American market to reflect what they are doing overseas.

Cadillacs and Lincolns ironically might have too many differnt models. They also don't cover the wide price points like the imports. This is another reason for their steep discounts and high depreciation rates if they want to reach a critial mass of value buyers in addition to the price is no object luxury buyers.
  • bigdog26bigdog26 Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me if the white diamond color on 2000 DTS, is actually white, or is it pearl white like plain Deville models ?
    Diamond White which is an extra cost color is different from the plain white which is available only on the base Deville.