Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    platypusplatypus Member Posts: 192
    Funny you should ask about the new A4. I actually have two more pictures of the car, front quarter view and side view, but I did not post them because they were blurred (more so than the one I posted). I think I must have been moving the camera when I took the pictures.

Anyway, as for the car itself, it is nice. In fact, I was somewhat hesitant about ordering the 3er when I knew that the new A4 was just around the corner. In the end, I think I made the right choice. The new A4 is sharp but I still think the E46 looks better. The new A4 is very similar to the A6. It's nearly impossible from the front or rear to tell them apart. The only way to really distinguish the two is from the side. Then you can see the extended length of the A6. I've never been fond of the A6's looks, and I think the reason is because the shape looked odd because it was not dimensionnaly correct (too long). The new A4 solves that by shortening the length, yet keeps the other dimensions similar, and is thus more pleasing to the eye.

I also saw several new A4 Avants, which would be my preferred wagon if I were in the market. The new A4 Avant 3.0 Quattro would be a great car for weekend ski runs to Lake Tahoe.

The A3 was also very cool - especially with a sporty rim/tire package (as in the pictures).

Europe also gets the A2, Audi's version of MBZ's A-class. Kind of a homely looking thing, it looks like a miniature minivan. I wished I would have snapped a picture of one.
  • Options
    sandeckisandecki Member Posts: 29
    I have read few posts here about you guys tracking your orders. Is it a bmwusa website, where on the website, my dealer in NJ is completely CLUELESS!!!
  • Options
    veekay1veekay1 Member Posts: 180
    sandecki:
    its easy,
    go to bmwusa.com
    click on "owner's circle" at top right corner
    then click on "sign in"
    you will need to set up an account the first time for which you will need Production # or VIN #
    then sign in as many times as you wish using ur username and password!
    Try it!
    good luck!
  • Options
    stokdgsstokdgs Member Posts: 65
    What I mean to say regarding tire pressures is that the number on the side should never be exceeded when hot. Obviously if its inflated to that pressure when cold, it will be over the limit when its heated up..
    Just looked at Dinan and all of his upgrades for software and cold air kits are 49-State Legal and can not be used in California except for racing and never on the street. This could present a fun situation when its brought in for the bi-annual smog inspection.. Oh well, maybe something will come along that will give you more ponies AND be smog legal in California..
    DanF
  • Options
    vesuviusiivesuviusii Member Posts: 32
    Monday's Wall Street Journal had a complimentary write-up addressing the fact that just about every major auto manufacturer is actively chasing BMW's 3-Series. Although the article was (essentially) non-substantive, it's always nice to see such a broad, public affirmation of OUR benchmark/incumbent vehicle. Young "v_tech" probably missed that one -- too busy installing neon lights to the undercarriage of his Acura.
  • Options
    alpine325ialpine325i Member Posts: 209
    My mechanic is "Motor Ed". He builds race cars, his current car does the 1/4 mile under 9 seconds. Anyway, we found out that the actual HP gains from the air/chip mods are lower than what these companies claim. He has a dyno at his shop and we proved this with my 89 vette. He installed the cold air induction, hyper tech stage 3 chip and 50 series flowmasters. The car did have quicker accelleration, shifted way smoother (automatic), better driveability, and had KILLER amounts of more air flow through the entire intake-exhaust system. So much more air that the car felt significantly lighter and agile because of these mods. The only drawback was that the since the air flow was much stronger, the catalyist in the original cat converter busted up in a million pieces! I had to replace the original cat with a free flow cat. The HP gain was 10 HP on the dyno as opposed to the 25 HP that they claimed it would add. BUT, The car was improved bigtime and was WAY more fun to drive. Remember, this was done on an L98 350 motor with duals split from the cat back. So I don't know how much improvement it will make for my 325i, Dinan says 7 more HP, quicker accelleration, and better driveability. Oh well, i'll sure find out if go with the mods :o)
  • Options
    burrsrburrsr Member Posts: 255
    This is a bit off the current subject lines, but I thought I'd summarize my impressions of the Steptronic. If I were the sole decision maker, I would have NEVER ordered a slushbox (in fact, I probably would have paid $1,300 if the MANUAL was the option). I ahve always LOVED self-modulating the clutch and throttle to fit whatever circumstance and driving conditions required. But, being a joint venture with my wife, we compromised (i.e., she won). Anyway, here goes:

1) Manual mode gives similar control (minus the ability to self-modulate!!!) in terms of being able to choose and hold gears. This is good for keeping constant wheel torque around curves and for engine braking. Also, I'd encourage folks to use the Manual mode as much as possible during break-in, as engine braking supplies the back pressure necessary to ensure good piston/ring sealing within the cylinders.

2) Manual mode "delay" (about 0.5 sec. on both up and down shifts) can be annoying, but if you plan for it, you get used to it.

3) In Manual, if the throttle is depressed past the "kickdown point" (at about 95% of throttle travel), the tranny will not shift manually, for whatever reason. Also, the Manual will not allow "dumb" (over-revved) downshifts, but is smart enough never to upshift -- ignition is retarded instead. This presents a dilemma: when throttle is fully depressed, the only way to manually shift is to back off the throttle past the kick point, or hit the rev limiter...

4) I especially enjoy (this is true of both Step and manuals) low-speed cruising in 1st gear (e.g., in parking lots). With the windows rolled down, the exhaust gurgle during engine braking from about 10-5mph is entrancing.

5) The Manual mode is really just an auto with what I call a different "user interface". Just as traditional autos allow the manual "P-N-D-3-2-L" shifting, the Manual mode does the exact same thing, but with a flick up or down, rather than moving between D, 3, 2, and L. Same tranny, different interface. This is WAY different than F1-style sequential shifts (the M3 will have one), where there is no torque converter and the clutch is computer-controlled, making shifts faster and more precise.

6)Sport mode is great -- will hold gears when the car is going up or down hills and around curves. The shift points are also much higher in the rev range for a given throttle position, and downshifts occur with less throttle position delta.

7) Auto mode -- good for my wife. :)

8) General observation: BMW makes some of the best, most efficient transmissions available, auto or manual. I estimate the the hp loss at the rear wheels (vs. at the flywheel) in a BMW Steptronic is comparable to the hp loss in competitors' manuals. That said, the BMW manuals would be even more efficient, due to the lack of the torque converter. That is why BMW's straight-line performance/acceleration is better than the power-to-weight ratio would suggest. Hence, a Step-equipped 330i is equally as quick, or even moreso, than a CL-S, when the CL-S has a clear power-weight advantage. More BMW "unquanitifable" magic at work here...

Overall, I still yearn for the joy of rowing the gears and slipping the clutch to achieve a perfect launch. But given my situation (and the situation of many others, I'd assume), the Step is a decent compromise. However, you can bet that when I move up to the 540i, I'll be ordering the six-speed, thank you very much! ;)
  • Options
    vesuviusiivesuviusii Member Posts: 32
    Monday's Wall Street Journal had a complimentary write-up addressing the fact that just about every major auto manufacturer is actively chasing BMW's 3-Series. Although the article was (essentially) non-substantive, it's always nice to see such a broad, public affirmation of OUR benchmark/incumbent vehicle. Young "v_tech" probably missed that one -- too busy installing neon lights to the undercarriage of his Acura.
  • Options
    roc50mgroc50mg Member Posts: 102
    Manual definitely seems nicer in the burbs or on the open highways, but how about in congested traffic like NYC? Anyone out there drive stick where, more often than not, there is bumper to bumper traffic? If so, let me know how you deal with it, because that will be me in a couple of months.
    Also, if I just ordered my 330xi on 5/4/01, when do you think I can expect delivery by in NY? I went to the BMWusa site and can only get info that the car is "on order." Do you guys think that the dealer I ordered the car from would know which week my car is slated for production?
  • Options
    gurumikegurumike Member Posts: 442
    We need a little more info on when it's being built... If the dealer has a car available for production in around 2-3 weeks, it might still be in "111" status, meaning they can chance all of it's specs to yours (including adding AWD). For west coast cars, the boat takes almost exactly one month, I would guess it's about 2 weeks for New York, slightly less, perhaps. Once you know it's production week (your salesman can tell you that), add about 5-6 weeks on and I'd say that thats fairly accurate for when it will be at the dealership.

I would strongly caution anyone who does drive in NYC style traffic on getting a stick (there are exeptions to every rule...). I have many clients who live in L.A. area and the ones who have done a stick swear they'll never do it again. If you're in rush hour traffic every day, shifting gets old real quick!
  • Options
    dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    Good observation, I think the styling will prove to be much more than the current , which is a little bland now too me, soo glad I choose the "3". The Audi product is one I really wanted to like, but in the end it comes back to that near perfect feel the "3" gives, note i have the 99 with heavy steering, that the fronttrac can't quite give.

BTW you just gave more info and pics then all the auto mags and online lol we need someone to travel Europe every month lol

TAKE CARE DL
  • Options
    mfeldmanmfeldman Member Posts: 140
    Thanks to all for the tire input. Posts on the bimmer.org board to the same question are mostly sarcastic-- not what I'm looking for on the net. Incidentally I also posted my thoughts there about the 323 vs.330 steering issue and how I probably would not change.(And i used to drive an e36 so i know what heavy steering is) I got no respose. To each his own. BTW i had 3/1/01 production so it was new-new steering
  • Options
    waileawailea Member Posts: 22
    I have a manual 325i. I head down 880S into the silicon valley during rush hour - roughly 12 miles in stop and go - yesterday took me about 40 minutes. Manual is 2nd nature to me and I feel that I have a more control.

The loaner that I am using has the Step Trans and burrsr's post is right on! In the "manual Mode" it's, at best, an adequate substitute to stick.

Bottom line, it's all a personal preference's and what you are comfortable on a daily basis.

IMO
  • Options
    Thanks for the most informative post about the Steptronic Trans. I have the Steptronic, and so far it's been the smoothest auto trans i've ever owned. I've never test drove a new 3 series with the manual but I should have. I had a bad experience with a Borg and Warner T56 6 speed trans that was in my 93 Camaro Z28. When I first bought the Z28 It felt good to shift, but a few months later it started to feel really crude and was making the worst clanking noises. After many attempts at fixing it the mechanic that I had at that time said: "that's the way they all are, noisy and clunky" then I took it to another mechanic and he could'nt make it any better either so I sold the thing and bought an 89 vette [auto] with 20,000 miles in mint cond. That car was a dream to drive compared to the T56 6 speed. I'm going to test drive a manual 330i now since everybody is raving about the manual trans on all of their cars. I'll let you know how it goes :o)
  • Options
    twoof1twoof1 Member Posts: 308
    In reference to the Dinan CAI not being street legal in California: It takes some time to get approved. The disclaimer you saw is only temporary. If you look at the 323 for example, it has now been changed to 50 state legal. We all know it is basically the same engine. I had the same thought when I wanted to upgrade my '00 2.3 Z3. After awhile I checked back and they had updated it to 50 state legal. You may want to contact Dinan direct as they have a reputation of not keeping the web site updated as often as the info changes.
    I have had the CAI, Stg. 2 software and Dinan exhaust on my Z3 for about 8 month's now and I love it!! Definately not the cheapest but IMHO it is the best. Besides if you are in the least bit nervous about warranty implications, definately go with the Dinan they not only stand behind the product, but most of the upgrades are generally installed by a BMW dealer.
  • Options
    jhdevoyjhdevoy Member Posts: 33
    Hey V-Tech,

I just loved your car racing fantasies! Maybe you should tell us about the time you beat an M5 with your light blue Gremlin. And Dale Earnhardt was driving the M5 and had a 3 mile head start. Give me a break. You've been spending way too much time at the Playstation (in front of the Sony Vega you can buy since you won't have to fork over 40k for the Bimmer).

Also, I find it hard to believe that your friend has a fleet of BMW's and he's never let you drive one (by your own admission you've never driven one). Especially since you must be Mario, given your ability to outrun a 740 without coming close to redlining your car. 40 to 1 says you have a little crown on the dashboard of your 1974 Datsun, which you wax every Sunday in a pair of leather chaps....

How does your car pass the tennis ball test? Just put a tennis ball in your exhaust pipe (your car should be in a poorly ventilated area or the test results could be biased), rev the engine in neutral and see how long it takes your car to stall. My 330xi lasted for 38 minutes. How long can your car last?
  • Options
    erricksonerrickson Member Posts: 130
    So while we are off topic, I would like to see if anyone knows how long the "Zaino" polishing products last? I have read that many people have problems as a result of applying "too much" polish. About how many times should you be able to polish your car(s) with one ($16.00) bottle?

(I figured that this was a pretty neutral question that a Lex OR Bimmer owner could answer)
  • Options
    I forgot to mention regarding the Step: in Sport mode, when braking from speed, the tranny will downshift through the gears for you, so you are always in the correct gear relative to your speed. I find this pretty cool -- Normal mode simply idles the engine down and lets the brakes do all the work. Not until you press on the throttle again will the tranny" know" what gear to be in. Sport eliminates that "catch up" time.

Looks like our friend Mr. V-Tech is back with a vengeance. However, his writing was such illogical, unintelligible, nonsensical babbling that I frankly lost interest, regardless of the intended content. Here's a little advice: when you tell a story, HAVE A POINT. It makes it SO much more interesting for the listener! Also, I feel most of the folks on this board are intelligent people who are persuaded by FACTS and well-supported opinions, not this "...duuhhh...give me a break..." (repeated incessantly) strategy that is of absolutely no substance. Well done, Mr. V-Tech -- I'm sure your un-witty, un-factually-based ramblings have changed the opinions of exactly no one. Before typing any more nonsense, consider saving your fingers for the PlayStation for which they were intended.
  • Options
    midtowneastmidtowneast Member Posts: 49
    I am an Acura owner 2002 tls the Bimmer is on order Week 22 Production hopefully with performance center delivery before June 30. I used the Zaino on My Previous car an Acura Cl-s. I used about one fifth of the bottle for three applications. The wax goes on very clear and you have to be very careful. The zaino was applied in August of 2000 and was not reapplied as of May 2001 it looked just fine. According to zaino the wax should be reapplied every six months or if the shine degrades.
  • Options
    div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    His mommy will take his computer away soon enough... Until she does, check out some of his favorite cars:
    http://www.riceboypage.com/
  • Options
    twoof1twoof1 Member Posts: 308
    Dont' feed them and eventually they will crawl back into their hole.
    It's just not worth the effort to argue with ignorance.
  • Options
    hippo168hippo168 Member Posts: 115
    > geez you are a real bmw loyalist aren't you. how come bmw doesn't rule cart racing and > nascar??? who really cares about formula one.

jesus, I guess YOU are the one who really don't know a damn thing. F-1 is the ultimate racing. The drivers are the best of the best in the world, the racecars have the highest standard and technology. Just the US doesnt cover much F-1 doesnt mean it is second rated after NASCAR and CART. It is actually the total opposite. Ask any NASCAR driver, what F-1 is about.

While we're at it, have you realize the Ferrari's, M-Benz's and Porsche's are not in NASCAR and CART either? But they are ALL in F-1?
  • Options
    dannyledannyle Member Posts: 43
    Actually .. he does have a point.

The IS300 is very comparable to the 3 series. I use to own BMWs and it's handling is a dream. I never test drive an IS300 before so I don't know how it handle. But with all the review from magazines, I think it's pretty much on par with the 3 series.

But the thing is IS300 is more appealing to the younger crow where BMW is appeal to a broader age range. I would not mind owning either car, but I prefer the interior of the BMW 3 series. If Lexus change the interior of the IS300 .. I will definitely check it out.

Back the the 3-series pricing. Do you all think with the introduction of the new A4,Jaguar X-series, ne I35 from infinity and new ES300, pricing for BMW would be more flexible toward the end of the year ????
  • Options
    brave1heartbrave1heart Member Posts: 2,698
    Kominsky - My driver's door label AND owner's manual say 30 front / 35 rears. My dealer says 32 all around. My tires were set to 31/32 when I picked it up from the dealer. It just goes to show that even BMW service depts. will be hard to trust for everything and we should be doing our own research. BTS, my owner's manual has the 330i as 33/38 psi regardless of type of tires. I expected the rears would need more air in a RWD but I am surprised that they need 5 more psi - that's a lot. I'm sticking with the manual.
  • Options
    I am Ignoring the Troll but I just have to ask, How much will that glorified toyota be worth in 5 years? 5 bucks? He sure does have alot to say about nothing since he didn't even experience the ride of a BMW! (I know, shut up and ignore the Troll) :o)
  • Options
    The IS, TL-S, 320, S60, X-type, A4, etc., etc., etc., are all very comparable to the 3-series only because THAT WAS EACH MANUFACTURER'S GOAL. As vesuviusii mentioned before, Monday's WSJ had an interesting write-up explaining exactly that -- all had their sites on (not above!) the king. I certainly thank the manufacturers for keeping the 3-series alive with competition (ain't free enterprise grand?), but until someone sets their sites HIGHER than the king, by definition, no one will do the 3er better than BMW! When that day comes, I will be one of the first ones to say "Wow -- they really did it!" and spend my hard-earned dollars on the new benchmark. BMW continues to be the only one to make me say "Wow!"
  • Options
    I posted the tire pressure question on bimmer.org yesterday. It's interesting to compare the answers on this board and that board. All you get there is MTV-generation responses aimed at looking WAY too cool to be answering simple questions like that. I have noticed zero response there on any post that has depth. I thought that board was good for a quick poll at least but in my recent experience, it's not even been good for that. I scanned our board this morning and I was amazed at the depth and friendliness of responses. Being cocky and condescending is self-destructive and it does not allow you to improve long-term. It works against sharing knowledge and expanding the collective wisdom. Here on this board, we are well on our way to creating a great environment for 3-series enthusiasts. An environment in which no one is afraid to ask a question, no matter how big or small. Yes, the sports enthusiasts are just louder and more vocal. So are some of your kids probably :O) But anyone, and I mean EVERYONE that loves the 3-series should join us here. Doesn't matter if you prefer auto transmission, or AWD, or whatever. We all learn from each other and respect each other, diverse as we are. Diversity is great!!!
  • Options
    lokkilokki Member Posts: 1,200
    It's a nice car and very competitive with the 3-series -in performance and quality. I don't think that it is as nice a combination of performance and luxury as the 3 Series. I agree that BMW options are more expensive than they should be perhaps, but if you buy them you can have a much nicer vehicle in the end. As for the money? Well, I have the money. Spend it on a home theater system? Already have one, thanks. Still, I can see where those who don't have the money and value performance over luxury might be drawn to the IS300, just as those who prefer luxury over performance might be drawn to Audi.

On the styling front, the IS300 uses things that are specifically designed to appeal to the younger set. Clear tail lights and white dial faces, the metal shifter, and the 'chronometer'gauge set-up, are all targeted younger people. Nothing wrong with that. You either like them or you don't.

I think that the Lexus will hold its value, unless Toyota makes changes that make the current model undesirable - styling changes, a bigger engine, a 5-speed (perhaps,a factor, perhaps not), or the things that are so stylish now go out of fashion.

Anyhow, I view them as playmates on the skyline drive. I haven't encountered one to duel with on my favorite road, but I look forward to it. There's a decreasing radius turn that I like to introduce people to....
  • Options
    tisrandeetisrandee Member Posts: 18
    Regarding post 2482...Well put!!

Burrsr--2460, Enjoyed reading post #2460 on your Steptronic Perspective. Haven't used it much but looking forward to trying the sport mode on the hills. thanks

On the IS. I ordered one, waited 7 months (pre bimmer) and when it arrived I was totally disappointed. It drove NOTHING like a BMW. But it looked nice. Seats felt great. The hesitation in the computerized accelerator was just dreadful. I drove 4 different IS's to make sure it wasn't just one bad one. They all drove the same way. Like a ford.
  • Options
    I have to second Brave1heart's comments. This board is second to none in terms of diversity, knowledge, valuable opinions and insights, wit and humor, and even a sense of comraderie. I could easily take samplings of some of the posts and arrive at a quality product that would not be out of place in C&D, for example. It's borderline addictive to me, so it has to be good. Keep the info/fun flowin'!
  • Options
    thedeepdarkbluthedeepdarkblu Member Posts: 106
    Hilarious--now here's a guy with a sense of humor. Whoever did the riceboypage just cracked me up. If anyone has time, check out the page. Just plain funny!
  • Options
    denrightdenright Member Posts: 285
    Man, you are one effusive, good hearted guy. I am glad you got the car that you really wanted. You seem to deserve a little piece of happiness.

My dealer is supposed to call me today to clue me in on the sport seats special order price. I still don't know how much extra I'll be willing to pay for the sport seats. I wish I liked the M aero package. It would save a lot of hassle if I could bring myself to just order the sport package and be done with it.
  • Options
    Yeah, the rice boy pages are great, I used to read them when I had my Z28 years ago, funny stuff! :o)
  • Options
    I also 2nd what Brave1heart said about this board! Hey, When you have great people to share with, you have a great forum! :o)
  • Options
    reubencahnreubencahn Member Posts: 102
    I've used Zaino for about a year. I've done about 8 coats total (wife's car and mine) over that time. I have about a third of the bottle left. Initially, I certainly used too much. I think it's about equal in cost to a decent wax like Blitz but probably works out cheaper than Zymol or Pinnacle. Most important, you can easily let it go three months or so between coats. Here in Florida, no wax is good for more than 6 weeks.

I've messed around alot with tire pressure. When I had Turanzas on the car, I settled on 41 rear and 35 front. I know that sounds high but that's what felt best. Now that I'm running RE 730s, I am using 36 rear, 33 front. This seems about right.
  • Options
    You wrote: "...funny thing is he tried to do the same thing at a stop light (he was in front of me) with his dad's 740i. he pulled away in the beginning because i wasn't expecting him to jump me but who do you think lost the race??? it wasn't the GS-R. oh by the way both times i didn't even come close to red lining the car. oh and by the way he is the better driver if you ask me. just thought you would all like some real bmw driving stories since most of you probably drive your cars like babies. oh the feel and the balance is so good give me a break!!!! i can drive a volvo and say that my [non-permissible content removed] feels good too."

Okay, we're all entitled to our own opinions here, but you come across as someone who's got a serious anger issue. Most of the people who post here actually think about what they write--you have decided, for some reason, to forego that option. I think you MAY have garnered some degree of respect had you not come across as someone who has an extremely large flagpole up his a**. Make your arguments intelligently, not like someone just kicked you in the balls and told you that you had ugly children. Calm down already. None of us is saying that the Lexus IS300 doesn't have its merits. But, AGAIN, it's not just about speed. And when you reply to the "balance" issue, it has nothing to do with your a** (sheesh, man. Bone up on your terminology--balance refers to weight ratios, not the comfort level of your butt in the seat.)

My suggestion...take the money you saved on your Lexus IS300 and buy either a new attitude, anger-therapy sessions, or a dictionary. Come back when you've actually made some progress.
  • Options
    mikesm6mikesm6 Member Posts: 32
    Hi Y'all, The world is rather rapidly catching up!I just bought a '02 WRX 5 sp AWD wagon after 11 BMWs. NA and AG refused to bring the 330iT here and/or build a (E 46) M3 T for me, so my USDs went way EAST! Mike
    PS 227 hp/217 lb ft tor for $23K.
  • Options
    I talked to a colleague of mine this morning who's a big bike fan. He's saying he's been using K&N filters for years and he's never had any problems with microscopic specs being sucked into the engine or any of that stuff. Not even at 12K rpms for his bike. However, he pointed out that since the K&N filter does change the air-to-fuel mixture, it would be better to also get the software upgrade, which manages the new mixture more efficiently. I guess that's what Dinan does with the Stage 2 upgrade. Has anyone figured out if Stage 1 is required for Stage2 (thedeepdarkblu?). I am planning on calling them after I've broken my car in but I'd like to know as much as I can about their upgrades before I call them. Oh yes, my colleague also mentioned that he had definitely noticed a difference in acceleration with the K&N filter ALONE. Not necessarily a huge HP gain but torques is just as good in my book.
  • Options
    We have almost tripled the posts on this board just in the past couple of months. We weren't even in the Top 10 discussion groups on Edmunds and now we've been consistently holding the top spot in the charts (even Sting is getting jealous but what the hell - I love his music but he's a Jag fan anyway). When I look at the IS300 board, for example, and see 600 posts only, that tells me we'll be seeing more and more trolls on our board. Everyone wants to have some fun and hang out with the boys. Some even come back posting the same old info that they have already shared - they bought a different car or whatever. Anything for a raise, sir; anything to get a piece of the action. I guess that's all they can do if they don't have anything constructive to say. A lot of these clowns will move on because this board is a little too mature and analytical for a PlayStation or, at the other end of the spectrum, a sclerotic mind. I stressed that "EVERYONE that loves the 3-series should join us here." You build and they'll come. Luckily, sometimes they go away too :O)
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Hey gang,

I think my eyes are bleeding from trying to catch up.

Tire Pressure: The last time I looked at the issue was in the mid 1970's. The rule (for comfortable freeway cruising at least) was, the fronts should have less pressure than the rears (per the manufacturer recommendations). However, an old sage that I was learning my engine overhaul skills from told me that for sustained high speed driving on curvy roads (or tracks) you wanted higher pressure in the fronts than the rears. His advice was based upon years of turning wrenches on cars over at the local track for a number of SCCA racers. He said that if the tires were inflated to the standards for that car, handling would suffer and tire wear (especially the fronts) would be extreme. His recommendation was to bump the rears a few pounds over spec and then to bump the fronts about 5 pounds over the new rear pressure. Then start testing.

Modern tire technology has progressed so far since then that I suspect that advice is no longer as relevant. In my case, I follow the manufacturers suggestions for the most part, and that is probably as good as it can get without extensive testing.

The only potential problem with manufacturer recommendation that I am aware of is the Ford Explorer / Firestone issue. In this case, Ford recommended a lower tire pressure spec (to improve the ride) than Firestone designed the tire to cope with. This, in my opinion, is a HUGE contributing factor in the failure of all those tires.

As far as our pet troll is concerned, I was curious to see where else it posts, so I clicked on it's name. You guessed it; our 3-Series board is the ONLY place it posts.

Brave1heart; your words regarding the community here on this board were very well spoken. Here, here!

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    platypus - I know what you mean by not winning too many drag races. It took me a couple of hours to get totally comfortable with taking off aggressively in first. Embarrassing as it is, I even stalled it twice - first time in years. I found out that I do much better when I use a little more gas in first - try it and you'll see. Of course, you are dealing with more power in the 330 but it's not all that different as far as taking off. Once I got comfortable with using a little more gas, the car was even more fun to drive because you take off faster. I don't let the clutch hang in there halfway for too long - it's not good for any clutch. But if you use a little more gas, you can drop the clutch pretty fast and this thing is as smooth as ever it's amazing!!

As far as driving in stop-and-go traffic, yeah, it's absolutely a matter of personal preference - auto vs. stick. I'll still take the stick in any traffic because it allows me to have the car in the right gear at all times and dash for that opening in the other lane. The clutch definitely does not like it when you don't switch gears fast - it is suited for more aggressive driving - I love that!!! However, even in traffic, you can go like 2-3 mph only on first and the band is so wide, you don't need to shift gears all the time and the car is still very smooth. My old Jetta VR6 would snap your head off in first and was a lot more uncomfortable in stop-and-go.
  • Options
    That'll teach ya a lesson :O)
  • Options
    I concur with the comments about the respectful adult tone of this board. Which allows me to ask a petty question..........Last nite I saw a scuff on the inside of the door. Impetuosly I put some water on my finger and rubbed. Of course, it did not remove the scuff but did darken the grey vinyl in a 3'' oval. I am now kicking myself for creating this minor flaw and am wondering if I can fix it without making it worse.

I am also excited to have hit 1200mi. Now A can really Open it up.

Btw, at the dealer isaw a 323 wagon which allegedly was rearended at 45mph on a test drive. The rear end was accordioned but the passenger compartment was intact. A good if unintended ad for bmw.
  • Options
    A lot of it depends on your car's weight distribution. My VR6's weight dist. was 60/40 F/R and lighter overall than the 3-er, so I was using 30 F / 28 R. As a rule of thumb, you do need more tire pressure for the wheels that drive the car. But it also has to be adjusted for the weight of the car. Ideal tire pressure would also vary depending on # of passengers, luggage, etc. Tires with more air tend to move the car quicker, and they definitely burn less fuel overall. However, I like it better when the tires' air is at the lower permissible interval because they are stickier that way and allow you to handle better. The car would tend to bounce around a little more in corners would more air in the tires. I am changing mine to 30 F / 35 R, as the owner's manual recommends and see how it goes compared to the current 31/32. Will let you know whether you like to hear it or not :O)
  • Options
    I have to admit it -- I actually laughed aloud when I read your "3" oval" story! Mostly due to the fact that I can picture my overly-anal self doing exactly the same thing! Although I've personally never used it, from some of the previous posts on this board, the consensus is that Lexol makes pretty good leather/vinyl cleaners and conditioners -- you might give it a try. I've seen it in my dealership for about $10/bottle, which means you can probably pick it up for $6.99 at any Autozone or similar...
  • Options
    I concur with the comments about the respectful adult tone of this board. Which allows me to ask a petty question..........Last nite I saw a scuff on the inside of the door. Impetuosly I put some water on my finger and rubbed. Of course, it did not remove the scuff but did darken the grey vinyl in a 3'' oval. I am now kicking myself for creating this minor flaw and am wondering if I can fix it without making it worse.

I am also excited to have hit 1200mi. Now A can really Open it up.

Btw, at the dealer isaw a 323 wagon which allegedly was rearended at 45mph on a test drive. The rear end was accordioned but the passenger compartment was intact. A good if unintended ad for bmw.
  • Options
    I called Dinan yesterday and left messages. No live person answered. I only got voicemails. No reply yet. I, too, am curious. Think--325's with an extra 15-20 HP and boosted torque. I'm salivating, and I don't even have my car yet!
  • Options
    ... actual HP. The HP and torque curve charts on e46fanatics.com FAQ link rate the 325i's HP at 191, as opposed to the official rating of 184. I'm wondering who posted those charts there and how correct they are. But yeah, another 15-20 ponies would be great.
  • Options
    denrightdenright Member Posts: 285
    This seat issue has been bugging me so much that I stopped by my BMW dealership this morning to take another look and feel of the sport seats vs. the regular seats.

The bolstering of the regular seats is definitely less formidable looking than the sport seats. However, it is still incredibly firm and supportive. While the sport seats literally fit like a glove, I found the regular seats to be almost as supportive and confortable.

I think I am going to stick with the regular seats. I know you are all breathing a sigh of relief. LOL Sorry to be blathering, but I need someone to bounce all this crap off, and my wife sure as hell doesn't want to hear it.

As far as this K&N air filter goes, am I to understand that this air filter will add several horsepower to a 3 series engine? Does anyone know if K&N makes one for the 3.0 liter inline 6 in the 330??? Please advise, I will definitely get one if they make one.
  • Options
    I don't know about 15 to 20 extra HP with intake, exhaust, and software. I had these mods done to a car [Hyper Tech Mods] and they claimed it would give me an extra 25 HP. But when I put the car on a dyno it was only a 10 HP gain. The car had way better accelleration,tons of air flow, better shifting [auto], and driveability. The car felt like a different car, way better!, but the HP gain wasn't anywhere near the extra 25 that they claimed it would have. If I go with the Dinan mods I will let you all know how it did on the dyno, my friend "Motor Ed" has one :o)