Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• garys52garys52 Member Posts: 3
    ccermak, Does the coil problem on the 2000 SE lessen the performance ? This car still runs very quick, even with the pinging sound. I'd have real problems if it ran any quicker.
    Next purchase will have to be a radar detector..
  • ggrindle2ggrindle2 Member Posts: 5
    Yes to both questions.

probably rotors. probably gas.
  • ccermakccermak Member Posts: 260
    grindle is right, the answer is yes, the coil problem definitely decreases performance. Regardless if it's bad gas or not I'd push to get the coils replaced per the TSB. The Max shouldn't ping with regular gas because it has a knock sensor. Make them put in new coils, new rotors/pads all the way round, and give you warranty to 100K and then buy it for $16,500 and call yourself a winner. Keep at it and they'll sell it for that, just walk out and leave your card and they'll call you back the next day ;-)
  • alexg4alexg4 Member Posts: 14
    I bought my sheer silver '03 GLE a week ago. The car is everything it was described to be on these posts and by the dealer. I love the looks and the interior is that of a $30k - $35k car (paid $25k including dest.) The only concern so far is the fuel efficiency. I am getting on average 14.5 mpg in the city, the sticker says 20 mpg. I don't think it's the tire pressure, I keep it at 40psi, a bit high perhaps.
    Did anyone else have this problem and is there a way to fix it?
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Break-in gas mileage will always be low. You should wait until at least 1000 miles before you start calculating. And with a rather large, heavy car with a huge V6 like the Maxima's, 14-16 is about right for all city driving.
  • nissangirlnissangirl Member Posts: 186
    is currently averaging 21 in the city. It has 70 miles on it today, it had 15 on it when I drove it off the lot this past Saturday, 11/16/02.
  • alexg4alexg4 Member Posts: 14
    Thank you vocus and nissangirl for your posts. I will keep everything as is for another couple of weeks, if the mileage does not improve, I will have to see a mechanic.
  • jg28jg28 Member Posts: 257
    So 14 is very low (I have a 2002 Max SE with 16Kmiles).

Does anyone else notice the xenon headlights shake when you go over bumps? I think it's due to the larger filament or something.

I really hate the lack of illumination on the steering wheel buttons. I am constanly pushing the wrong buttons at night. Now I see why so many reviewers hated it.
  • cheerioboy26cheerioboy26 Member Posts: 412
    Mileage also depends on your trips too, esp. if it is cold. The fuel mix will be very rich for about 10-15 minutes or so until the engine is fully warmed up, so it will reduce the mileage. Also, in many cities it is time for the reforumulates a/o oxygenated gas for winter. That will also reduce mileage a bit I think. My 2000 Max (different engine) gets about 16-18 on average in ther winter b/c my wife only drives 4.5 miles to work. The average is closer to 20 in the summer. Long term 34K is 19.5 mpg.

Xenon lights don't have a filament. An electric arc of light is created between two electrodes.
    I rented a Maxima for one day, and thought the unlit steering wheel buttons would be a pain. They weren't though. I was hitting the right one even driving the car within hours of getting in. I was surprised. They should still be lit at night though.

Some cars' lights shake over severe bumps, so that's probably normal.
  • babe915babe915 Member Posts: 34
    go for the extra bucks and get the TL having owned both cars the max se is a ford compared to the acura for quality.
  • kyleknickskyleknicks Member Posts: 433
    it's not a big deal!!! just drive the car for a few thousand miles and u'll get used to it... if u dont.. well.. then something's wrong with you and not the car... it's very very easy to get used to...just enjoy your maximas already
    found on the road dead!
    to someone with an obvious lack of intelligence and thoughtfulness. I'll discount anything kyleknicks says from now on. I'll bet a great deal that the illumination flaw or oversight will be corrected for 2004.

No headlights I've ever had have shaken over bumps. Maybe I'll have to have this examined if it's not normal and no one else with the xenons notice this.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I have a Honda S2000 and there is some movement/shaking in the Xenon lights over bumps. I may be wrong, but I believe this is intrinsic to the Xenon system. It's more noticable in the S2000 because of the tight suspension. I don't notice it as much in the 530i or E430 I've driven at night, but it's still there.

As for lighted steering wheel buttons, I am not sure who, if anyone, has them. I have a 1995 Maxima and it only has unlit cruise control buttons on the steering wheel. But I have been considering a BMW 5-series as a replacement and I don't believe their steering wheel buttons for audio, etc are lit either.
  • eblumeblum Member Posts: 52
    Does anyone know if the coils are easy to replace or is this something that a mechanic would have to do? I have fought to have my dealer replace the coils...only would replace the ones that totally quit. I may do it myself if it is possible.....
  • steviebstevieb Member Posts: 6
    The shaking you are noticing is due to auto-leveling of the Xenon headlights. All cars with Xenon's have to have some sort of auto-level system to maintain the aim of the headlights as you go up and down inclines, to prevent blinding oncoming drivers.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Some inappropriate messages have been removed.

I'm sorry for what has happened here in the last day or so.

Let me point out that you will get a lot faster host response to inappropriate garbage if you email the host directly.

All hosts have profiles (which contain the link to our email addresses) at the top of the main discussion list of our boards.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to email me. Meanwhile, let's get back on topic.

Thanks!
    Thanks everyone. I thought it just might be that. And I do have the SE which would make it tighter.

I had illuminated steering wheel buttons on my Oldsmobile Intrigue. I thought it was the norm.

Since the steering wheel is the same for the Maxima and Altima, I wonder if one could install a telescoping steering wheel in the Maxima? I'm sure it would be outrageously expensive but still I wonder if it's possible?

My big project over the weekend will be installing a new in cabin microfilter. I hope it isn't too hard removing the glove box and all.

Thanks again all.
    i am thoughtfulness and stupid cause i think you should just enjoy your maxima for what it is.. a super sports sedan rather than complaining about the "not lit cruise control buttons"?? are you kidding? tons of people have maxima's on this board and i'll bet 95% of them got used to the buttons by touch in about a couple of weeks .. obviously you're in the 10% and like to complain about the non issues of a great vehicle... now, back to discussions of the maxima...and less of your insults..
  • sgrd0qsgrd0q Member Posts: 398
    j28 - If you make a point of ALWAYS using the steering wheel controls for a period of time (a couple of weeks, maybe) and if you use them often enough, I am sure you'll get used to them. It's like knowing where the pedals are - you don’t have to look in order to use them.

I can see how one may not be comfortable with the steering wheel buttons if one uses them very rarely. In that case - to avoid frustration - use the regular radio controls which are illuminated. (There's no round-about way for the cruise control though, I am afraid.)

I agree - the fact that the steering wheel controls are not illuminated may be annoying for some, but that can't be a big annoyance, now can it?
    I am completely thrilled with what ever my Max has on it or doesn't have on it, lights here or there or not, I purchased my new car for what it is and has to offer me, or I would not have made the purchase.

I find it hard to swollow these people complaining about not having a lighted steering wheel. You are suppose to learn the feel of these buttons, I mean your hands are constantly on the wheel, I hope. And gradually over time you will learn your button positions. If you had lights on them, you would always have to take your eye off the road to look down at them. My husband recently purchased a '02 Path LE, he memorized these steering wheel buttons within a few days. I'm so use to using the dash buttons, that I don't even use these steering wheel options.

Just enjoy the car that you purchased.....you picked it out.
    I have driven an 02 Maxima SE with the steering wheel buttons, and own an 02 Jetta with wheel mounted cruise/radio controls. My Jetta has less buttons (only 2 per side) than the Maxima, but they are lit. I was able to work the buttons in the Max as easy as the ones in my Jetta, and I only drove the Max for about 140 miles (rented it for one day). I had to LEARN them by feel though, I couldn't look down and see what I was hitting at night. I made a mistake one or two times, but that's it. The point is, the controls could be at least partially lit for convenience.
    I have to disagree with you a little bit on the J28 issue. You are kinda on his case over his opinion. That's what boards like this are all about, opinion. You think the controls are easy to master, etc. He thinks they are inconvenient. No reason to get into a "shouting" match over it. Get over it and on with the Maxima.

For instance, I think the Maxima SE I drove had very uncomfortable seats that I was unable to get comfortable in within the 140 miles I drove it. There are people here who very much disagree, finding the seats totally comfortable and even supple. It's all about opinions.

However, I do still think the Maxima is a great car. It's just not for me.
  • raaizinraaizin Member Posts: 31
    I have heard numerous report on the radio about stolen HIDS in the NYC area. What can be done to prevent this. There was a company called Chapman Lock which sold a lock so the hood couldnt be opened. I did a search and couldnt find anything. Is this a real big issue. I live in suberb but park in NY 2-3 times a week.

Ray
    If you scroll up about 50-100 posts, you will see that they sell anti-theft locks to replace the screws for the HID lights. Just scroll up and you should see it.
  • aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    From what I have read at Maxima.org, the anti-theft bolts you're talking about are useless. The thieves just pry out the headlights, destroying the front end of the car in the process.
  • blh7068blh7068 Member Posts: 375
    which really doesnt bother me as I have gotten used to them on my 02 max. What IS bothersome( and I have mentioned before)is that the window lock must be disengaged for the DRIVER to operate to the windows. Kinda defeats the purpose, eh?
  • lmp180psulmp180psu Member Posts: 399
    Hello everyone, hope you are enjoying your maxima's! But I have a question concerning knock sensor failure and replacement. My friend Anthony has a 99 maxima SE and he brought it in to have his throttle looked at because he felt the pedal was not smooth when depressed; the dealer said the cable was a little loose so they tightened it, but the mechanic also put the car on a computer and said that a code came up that said the knock sensor failed.

Anthony said that he hasn't noticed any obvious hesitation (but it doesn't feel as quick as it has in the past), but of course he seems to be sensitive to any noise, bump etc. concerning his car.

My questions are: 1)If the knock sensor goes bad, should the CEL come on, because his hasn't. 2) Has anyone else had this problem, or has the dealer tried to rip you off by saying that it needs replacement( because he was told it would cost $250 to replace it.)

Thanks for any help or advice you can give!
    I know what you mean. It was the same design in the 01 Protege I had. I hated it! I have an 02 Jetta now, and its window lock only works for the back seat riders. Which makes sense, since children are usually in the back more anyway.

And having to unlock the window lock to operate the driver's window then put it back on could get to be a pain in the butt eventually. For me it would anyway, as I leave my back window lock on all the time because I carry my best friend's toddlers in the back seat more than adults.
    You can't lock a thief out if they want something bad enough.

On another front, I wonder how insurance agencies are viewing this HID theft thing? I wonder if they charge more to insure a car with HIDs?
    Does anyone know what auto stores carry Zaino products. There are not any stores in Mississippi that sell their products. But, I will be up in Tennessee next week, and I'm hoping to try to find some there. But it would help if I knew what store names to be on the look out for.
    vocus, all i was trying to do is point out to him that people who own maxima's should enjoy the car for it's driving attributes.. and not be so worried bout unlit cruise control buttons or other non issues... there's alot of worse things on this car such as the rear beam setup than worrying bout buttons on the steering wheel... know what i mean? another point - i wasn't jumping on his case because he was complaining... he's the one that wanted to insult me, and he could do that all he wants.. im not going to take offense. not a big deal.. i guess all first time owners of this car get spoiled with all it offers..and start noticing all kinds of little flaws...

one other thing, i know you own a jetta. my gf has a jetta and the cruise control on that car is totally different.. i dont recall if it's on a stalk? but anyways.. it's not the buttons on the wheel.. with all due respect, i think if u owned a maxima (driving for more than a week or two), you would totally see where i was coming from saying that 95% of all maxima owners gets used to the buttons whether they are lit or not. like nissangirl said..it's there so u could FEEL the buttons and engage cruise control..and not for you to look down to engage it...

okay..no more talking bout unlit buttons k? this is my last comment on it until someone else insults me.. <=)

Nissangirl - when you said u memorized the buttons on the dash, i had to laugh.. i think after 2 yrs of ownership, i could hit any button on my radio or climate control without looking down on the first try.

I'm going to looking into getting a Front tower brace to stabilize how the car turns. you guys are lucky to get the 255hp version...im stuck with the 222hp version for as long as i can.

GO OUT AND DRIVEEEEEEEEEEE ......... VROOM VROOM!! lol
    nissangirl.. i dont think they carry that in stores.. go to www.zanio.com and order yourself some from there.. the zanio products are made by these guys in new jersey and they tend to not distribute their products to auto stores... unless someone could correct me on that... i hear that their products are great.. dont know if it's hype or not...
    No, I use the dash stereo buttons. Memorized? Not, I have a new car, '03 SE, and it's different from the '00 SE. I said my husband has memorized his steering wheel buttons. I have not, yet. I'm just use to the old fashioned, if you will, dash stereo operations, that do have lights. I need a little more time to say I've memorized these things on my new Max. Give me a little more time, I'll get there.

On the Zaino side, I have never used their products either, I currently use Meguiars products, but after hearing all the praise about Zaino, I thought I may look for some while in another state.
  • obiwankenobi1obiwankenobi1 Member Posts: 290
    Yeah! If you like replacing your transmission every 30,000 miles.

No thanks!
    Well then both of you need to stop fighting! :) Can't we all just get along?

My Jetta is an 02 with Leather Pkg. With that pkg., the cruise control (all except on/off, which remains on the left stalk), and volume/seek for the radio are included on the wheel.

I got used to hitting the buttons in the Maxima I rented, and I only drove it for about an hour or so. I said it would be more convenient for the buttons to be lighted though. A new "user" would get more easily acquainted if they were lighted, I think.
    It's Friday! Yahoooooo! Anyone here play Spades at Yahoo? Or do you only play in your Maxima's???
    I have to work, just posting here from time to time when I get a free second. :) Not allowed to play games at work though. :( Not if I wanna stay working, anyway...
    It's Friday! Yahoooooo! Anyone here play Spades at Yahoo? Or do you only play in your Maxima's???
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Two places on the net that I've used for Zaino:

http://www.zainobros.com

Or, rather than having to mail order, you can use this supplier, and order it with credit card online. Same prices, same products, just from a Zaino supplier, and it's very well packaged. Shipping is also quite fast. It goes through PayPal, so you'll have to be registered to pay, but it only takes a minute or so.

http://www.hcvind.com

I installed the splashguards I ordered from Courtesy Nissan. Was a pretty simple thing.

Replacing the in-cabin microfilter wasn't so easy but now that I've done it, it should go a lot faster next time. The little sticker on the glove box says it can just be washed, so I think I'll try that next time since it was $48.

Swapping out the clear taillights for the red ones tomorrow.
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Member Posts: 360
    My mudguards were installed by the dealer. When I tried to clean them this week to remove the leaves there were stuck to the back of the front wheel wells, they felt loose as if a couple of screws are missing. But they don't cause any noise even if the car goes over rough roads. Is the "looseness" normal?

How much does it cost to have the filter replaced by the dealer, since it seems to be a rather difficult job? Why can't they design it so that it is as easy to replace as the regular air filter? I do not live or drive in dusty areas, how often does the filter need to be replaced?
    I cannot believe the 2002 Maxima is rated NUMBER ONE in front passenger seat room. (See Edmunds top 10 list). I do acknowledge there is ample space in the front, but how can a Maxima beat a Lincoln Town Car or LS 430 in space?

I also cannot believe how active this Board has been in the past few days (not even counting the posts that were deleted by our HOST). Guys and Gals, if you keep this up for a month, the Maxima may become the most researched car of the month (assuming the rating depends on the number of posts).
    I don't think swapping out the filter was overly difficult, it was just unfamiliar the first time out. Now that I've done it, I'm sure it'll be much easier the next time and I plan on washing it at least every six months (the manual recommends every 15K). I can't imagine paying a dealership any more than the cost of the filter itself if you're the least bit handy with a screwdriver.

At the risk of again being told to shutup and enjoy my Maxima, I, too, cannot understand why they'd put the filter in such an odd place. My Intrigue's in cabin filter was accessible from just underneath the passenger's side windshield and much easier to replace.

There are three screws/bolts holding each splash guard on (two on the fenders and one underneath). Just check to make sure they're all tight (and all there) but don't overtighten them. I bet you could break the plastic if you did that.

Mine will need to go into the dealer tomorrow because of a highly odd incident that happened today. The detailer was driving my car back to the shop and stopped at a light. When the light turned green, the car would not move but it was on and idling. Very odd isn't it? Anyway, I was told he shut the car off, then came back in about ten minutes and was able to drive it. Very very odd. The car seems fine to me but the check engine soon light is on. Any ideas?
    I'm thinking about changing out my clear tail lights on my '03 SE to the smokey ones that were on my '00 SE that I traded in. But will this de-value my '03? I love my '03, but I tend to like the smokey covers a bit better.

Any opinions on this, and where to buy them and cost if I decide to do that?
    JG 28 --
    Thanks for the prompt reply. I do not have any problem with my 03 GLE. The problem you described appears very odd. Did you look at the TSBs to see if there were similar complaints? My only complaint (minor) is that the car tends to hesitate for a split second when I try to accelerate from a stop light or after making a turn. I will take it to the dealer when I have a chance. My dealer told me that its new Saturday hours do not take in cars with "driveability" problems because it is staffed with less experienced people. So, I could (for the time being) only take the car in during weekdays.

nissangirl --
    I do not have an answer for you, but I think the clear tail lights look ok on my sheer silver Max. In fact, the smoky lights will probably look less appealing on mine.

window tinting --
    By the way, I have since some Maximas with completely tinted windows, including the front windows. I thought that is against state law. I can see a situation where the car owner does the tinting himself and is not aware of the law. However, one would think that a reputable detailing shop wouldn't knowlingly violate the law.
    Hmmm, you are probably right on the tail lights. I have the darker, Gray (almost charcoal) I think I was just use to that look of the smokey tail lights on my older Max. It's just a change I probably need to get use to.

Thanks
    My garage door opener (my 9 year old son) sometimes gets temperamental and I am thinking of replacing him with a mechanical opener. Does anyone have a good recommendation? My garage has limited top clearance, there is only about six inches of space between the ceiling of the garage and the door when it is in the open position. Any specific model recommendation? Obviously, it must be compatible with Homelink. Thanks.
    kenny, i've had the openers from craftsman (sears) for quite a few years.. i would highly recommend those... just make sure u get one with enough power for your door type..