Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• yamadaveyamadave Member Posts: 7
    I don't know how many 03's are left, but I bought a new 03 for 26K that had everything except nav, Sheer silver, Titanium edition. So it probably comes down to what the value of having a brand new car is to you. I got Nissan 3.9 financing also. I looked at used, but the prices seemed to high to justify it.
  • shaha90shaha90 Member Posts: 3
    One more thing... Nissan is also offering .9 % for 3 yrs or 1.9% for 5 yr financing.

--tia
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I'll echo kennyg5 and yamadave - I think you should be getting a discount to what a new car goes (went) for. At least 8-10%. After all, nearly 20% of the new car warranty is gone. And, unfortunately, you have to assume "demo" cars were not broken in with gentleness, especially if it's an SE 6-speed.

So my "TMV" for this car would be about $3,500 under the new car invoice, since I believe $1,000 to $1,500 under invoice deals were pretty commonplace. Use Edmund's to price it up; I think they still have the 2003 invoice pricing on the "new car" tab above.

On the other hand, if you love the car and there are no more new 2003's to choose from, you may not have a lot of bargaining power other than to walk away. But still try to get a fair deal - and that is not a 6,000 mile demo for marginally less than a brand new car, in my book.

Good luck and report back.
  • shaha90shaha90 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks you all for the advice... I went ahead and bought it... Bascially I got it for about $3200 below invoice plus .9% financing... As Habitat eluded to, I really didn't have much to choose from..This was the only loaded SE avail. everything else was the basic stripped down version. I'm upgrading for a '95 SE. Now, I have to wait 'til Friday to get it (The dealer is having a person airbrush some of the scratched I found.

One additional question -- This car has black leather. I've always had tan leather and I've heard that black leather gets hotted quicker. Is this true?

thank you all
  • blh7068blh7068 Member Posts: 375
    FWIW,
    I bought an 02 demo,1700 mile Majestic Blue, frost leather about a year ago for 26500
    2.9%/60 mos.)- stickered for 29800. I thought that was a pretty good deal at the time. Likewise, also did not have much to choose from either.

Regarding your leather question-

Dark surfaces absorb more heat than lighter ones. In this case since it is leather- its going to get hot, regardless of color. I really think the sensible differences will be negligible.

Kinda like being able to differentiate between an air temperature of 99 and 102...
    Just my .02 cents.

Enjoy your ride!
  • cosmo12550cosmo12550 Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I was quoted a price for and 04 maxima se w/auto, driver perferred package, and sunroof. MSRP is 31,940. TMV is 30,936. quoted price was 30,000. plus tax and tags. seems to be slightly over 3% of msrp. does this seem like a fair price.
    Thanks
  • berbelberbel Member Posts: 167
    My fellow posters.........

Looks like I opened a "can of worms" with my post
    about "leaving the flock" to buy the Accord V-6.

It appears that a lot of you agree with me about
    Nissan's corporate decision making.

This was a really difficult decision for me to make. I look at my '00 SE and think what a great
    ride this has been and it still looks so appealing
    because (and I admit it) I'm anal about its care,
    both mechanically and cosmetically.

I believe the Accord is a finely made automobile
    and my recent research has punctuated that thought
    with numerous extremely positive reviews and road
    tests......BUT, it's still not a Maxima.

Re the complaint on option packages. What I meant
    was that no other manufacturer (of which I'm aware)
    makes you purchase four other packages in order to
    get the items in the fifth package that you want.
    Yes, others do group items into packages and you
    have the choice to purchase an individual option
    package but Nissan requires you to purchase, e.g.,
    package #1, #2 and #3 if you only want the items
    that are in package #4. Sorry to ramble on about
    this..........This policy is one of the primary
    factors that has increased the cost of the '04
    Max beyond what I'm willing to pay for this par-
    ticular car AND it appears that quite a few of you
    have very aptly said the same thing in different
    words!

berbel
  • mirthmirth Member Posts: 1,212
    FYI - The '02-03 GXE's turning radius is 36' as opposed to the SE/GLE's 40' due to the smaller tires.
  • ocuihsocuihs Member Posts: 138
    the 6th generation (2004) Maximas are being built the first time in USA (Tennessee). we're thinking of getting the extended warranty for insurance/peace of mind.

does anyone know a good source? the costs to the dealer?

this is not neccessarily from your purchasing dealer as long as before the standard warranty expires. any nationwide Nissan dealer will do.
  • aggiedogaggiedog Member Posts: 238
    Just some more real world experience. I own an 02 Gray Lustre with black leather. I also own a Toyota 4Runner with oak(tan) leather. If you are not parked outside long there won't be much difference but if your car is in the sun all day, it will be a furnace for a while in the black leather. My 4Runner cools off in half the time that the Max does. Also someone earlier mentioned (search back) that after they removed the in cabin air filter, the ac worked much better. If possible, try to keep it out of the sun for long periods of time.
  • vu2000vu2000 Member Posts: 58
    The Maxima has gotten too expensive. A loaded maxima is costing $34,000+. This is ridiculous. I also think the new Maxima is not as nice looking inside compare to the previous generation Maximas(2000 - 2003). I just helped a friend buy a new car two months ago, she was asking about the 2004 Maxima. After going to the dealership and seeing the price of $34,000+ MSRP for the model she wanted, she immediately asked about the Honda Accord, and Toyota Camry. We went to Honda and was able to get her a new 2003 Honda Accord EX V6 for $23,650. The interior of the 2003 Accord EX V6 is beautiful. Exterior wise, the front is decent, but the tail lamps could be much better. The Accord coupe does have a nicer rear end compare to the sedan. I have owned Nissan Maxima, V6 Camry, and V6 Accord, these are all very reliable vehicles(no Gm/Ford/Chrysler junk). I think the way Nissan is going with pricing on the Maxima will further reduce the amount of people who will buy Maximas. The Altima is a very beautiful car from the outside, but the interior is too cheap to look at on a daily basis. I prefer my 98 Altima interior to the 2002-2003 Altima. Resale value on the 98 - 01 Altima stink however.
  • kyleknickskyleknicks Member Posts: 433
    first off, i want to say... i love my 00 maxima gle.... for what i paid for it...26k, it was alot of car for the money... now, you're looking at 32k (real world amt that someone would have to pay) for a similar equip 04 max?

someone mentioned that they were offered 25K for a C320 base model... 32k for a max vs ..even if i had to pay 27k for a benz... i would pick the benz anyday of the week even if it's the base model... I'm a big fan of nissan, but the new maxima definitely turned me off.... the only nice product out of the nissan camp nowadays is the Z.. not to mention the G .... i might look into a 3series or a C230 or C320 when it time to replace my 2000 maxima in a few yrs...
  • prayerforprayerfor Member Posts: 161
    I wonder why more folks that are turned off by the '04 Maxima aren't mentioning the Mazda 6s as an alternative... both cars seem to have the same sort of sporting intentions, although the Mazda execution is more biased toward handling than power. This would seem to me to be a better option than many of the others mentioned here (Accord, Camry even Benz).
    VU: You made some very good points. Incidentally,
    suggest to your lady friend that she add the lighted spoiler to her car. It changes the whole
    "character" of the rear end, which incidentally,
    looks like the backside of an Alpha Romeo 164.

PRAYERFOR: The interior of the Accord, if you add
    the wood trim kit like I did, is much more refined
    than the 6s altho I subjectively think the 6s
    sheetmetal has the Accord beat. The Accord interior
    reminds me more of the refined interior of the
    00-03 Maximas and with the exception of the '04's,
    it will remain a car near and dear to my heart!!!

berbel
  • collinjeremycollinjeremy Member Posts: 16
    '03 Maxima is a real bargain right now if you can find one. I bought mine, an '03 Maxima SE Sheer Silver automatic with moonroof for $22,400 back in April.

I agree though, $34k is too much for a Maxima.
  • ybtybt Member Posts: 5
    Couple of month ago I bought 03 maxima gle. When I bought the car I test drove back to back both SE and GLE and didn't notice that much of a difference in a ride quality. Recently I started to notice weird behavior on a part of suspension, like some bumps it absorb well but some not a big ones the entire car bounces several times, or it hit the bump and car kind of dives and you have this noxious feeling. Is this normal? What tire pressure should I keep? The manual recommends 32psi, but I find it too soft, so I made it close to 40psi. It didn't make much of a difference.
    Also what I noticed recently slight transmission hesitation before switching to the 2nd or may be 3rd gear, it let engine rpm pass 3000 Is that normal? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • norbert444norbert444 Member Posts: 195
    Some time ago, we had a discussion about which gas grade to use. Since I went for a 4730-mile trip in the last two weeks, I had a chance to get some good data. On 14 refills of 10 to 14 gallons each and almost exclusively highway driving in mountain states with AC on, I have the following mpg observations:

85-octane: 30.1, 27.6, 29.1, 26.7, 28.6. Average: 28.4 mpg.

85.5 octane (in Great Falls, MT): 29.4 mpg.

87-octane: 25.2, 27.1, 27.7, 28.3. Average: 27.1 mpg.

88-octane: 31.6, 28.1. Average 29.85 mpg.

91-octane: 27.2 mpg.

The car performed flawlessly. I certainly did not notice any appreciable change in torque nor any pinging. Therefore it seems that any gasoline will do but I intend to refill with the premium once in a while anyway.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Is that a different octane rating system? Here in the DC area, premium is 93 octane (or 94 "ultra"), mid-grade is either 89 or 91 and regular is 87.

I've never seen less than an 87 rating anywhere I've driven, including both coasts.
  • sailoverfuelsailoverfuel Member Posts: 82
    Its pretty clear from many forums (in comparison to other cars) that most Maxima owners (new and old versions) find the new model too expensive and with cheap interiors. In a nutshell DISSAPOINTMENT

I think its a no-brainer...this car is not a smart purchase as it competes with others in its class. The hype of the new vehcle will wear off and at the end you will have a few fools who jumped to quick and ended up with a 34K dolar car that sucks in comparison to a G35, Bimmer and others.

Nissan will have no option but to make serious changes, rebates, and initiatives to make this model a success in the long run. just an opinion from an opinionated fool! Who knows...will see.
  • cheerioboy26cheerioboy26 Member Posts: 412
    Octane ratings are lower in higher elevations. when I lived in west Texas (3000+ ft elev.) the levels were generally 86/88/90 (or 92) and I recall in Denver it was 85 IIRC.
  • kyleknickskyleknicks Member Posts: 433
    what hype? there wasn't any hype or excitement for the new maxima like there is when a redone of a model. i saw a new silver maxima on the road yesterday..what an ugly car... i laughed at the driver and wondered 'what a fool'
    You are right...the only hype is when u walk into a dealership...sales hype. A salesman had the nerve to tell me that most people like the new maxima's interior better thatn the Z..

If you evr see the interior of the Z you may agree that it is superior to the maxima's...almoust any interior is.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    Long time TH member, but not in this forum. Seeking some help from 2004 Maxima owners. I can't seem to find an answer here. A friend of mine bought one a little over a month ago. He only has 400 miles on it. It has developed a clicking/ticking sound that seems to be coming from the screen area at the top of the console. The dealer has had it for weeks now and cannot find the source. They hear it, but can't locate/stop it.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks.

fastdriver
    ybt: I'm not an expert but I know a few things and
    I respectfully suggest that you let some air out of your tires if you're running 40 pounds as you posted you are.

If you think 32 is too "soft" then you can "safely"
    inflate to no more than 2-3 pounds over recommended
    tire pressure. Carrying 40 is going to wear the
    center tread off your tires very prematurely. More
    importantly, when you inflated to 40, you significantly DECREASED the tires "contact patch"
    What exacerbates this is the fact that the faster
    you drive, the more the contact patch is decreased.
    The more the contact patch is decreased, the more
    your "stopping distance" is increased. NOW, let's
    make this scenario WORSE. Let's ADD rainfall to the
    highway surface and let's watch what your car does
    when when you try an emergency stop or try to
    execute an emergency avoidance procedure. Let's
    speculate about how much more than normal your car
    will hydroplane with 40 pounds instead of 32. I
    don't want to be anywhere near you when this plays
    out 'cause it ain't going to be a pretty picture.

Please drop your air pressure and NO, I don't sell
    tires for a living. I do however have some background in technical accident investigation and
    accident reconstruction.

sailoverfuel/post 7012/For the reasons you mentioned and others as
    well, I'm now driving a different make vehicle. I'll be very surprised
    if Nissan doesn't have a bad sales report on the Max by the end of
    12 months.

Take care/berbel
    We will see the results soon. maybe it has a possible impact on the prices
  • m4d_cowm4d_cow Member Posts: 1,491
    Hi again,
    just an update i got from the local Nissan dealer. They now sell the '04 maxima for $100 over invoice +tax no matter what the invoice price is. Does that sound like a good deal?
    I know Maxima has completely cheap interior, but I think it looks cool (exterior, personal taste).
    The price is the only reason Im still considering this car. Cos if they're still selling it for MSRP i would go to the Audi dealer instead, which offered me '03 A6 quattro almost fully loaded for $40k+, that price includes WA tax, lisence and other fees, and delivery to home ( about 70 miles from dealer)
    Let me know if the Maxima's price is pretty decent. Thanx
  • norbert444norbert444 Member Posts: 195
    85-octane gas is sold all over the mountain states (WY, CO, UT, MT, SD) which I just visited. There, the grades are typically 85/88/91 octane. As you go into lower elevations, the mix changes to 87/89/91. Only once I have seen an 85.5/88/91 combination.

The manual actually talks about the 85-octane being OK for you Maxima in mountain states. The caution, of course, is not to gas up on 85-octane for a trip to a lower elevation. Otherwise, 85-octane works just fine.
  • morphx22morphx22 Member Posts: 5
    http://www.getauto.com/autolinks_cardetail.html?x_dealer_id=AADK9- - &vinNum=JN1CA31D3YT506271

it costs 15k and my dad and i got it down to 13700 or something around there (not including taxes or anything). What do you all think?

I would rather have a smaller car, but I dont know what else is out there that isnt very expensive with a sunroof/spoiler on it. And is the non-bose speakers good? (compared to my 1985 oldsmobile regency 98 and I have a JVC mp3 player to replace their cd-player)

Or there is a Jetta with like 24k miles on it and i got them to add a sunroof for a total of 14k (not including taxes and stuff)

Thanks
  • boneslvboneslv Member Posts: 8
    That sounds like a great deal for a 04. I talked about the price of our 04 in post 6972.

Fastdriver I have not experienced any clicking/ticking at the top of console, that sucks I hope they fix it.

Wow, sailoverfuel and kyleknick what a generalization of intellect of us 04 buyers. I had looked at all the other cars people have been talking about on this board and the new Maxima filled my needs. Obviously, I believe the car is great inside and out and believe that the model you both drive is one of the most boring and bland styled cars out there and could question your intellect :). However, that is my opinion and you have yours and neither of us are going to convince the other. If it was not for this model change I would have not bought another Maxima.

I believe Nissan has finally designed some excitement into the Maxima (look at the discussion it has generated) and of course others will disagree. The previous models were so bland people would not notice them at least now the car is turning heads if you like it our not. Perhaps it is because it is so new and has nothing to do with the design. Hopefully it will help increase the declining Maxima sales. However, sailoverfuel you are right and we will see soon what type of change this will bring.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    But the pricing is outrageous...I mean the base prices don't seem so bad...but when you think about all the stuff that is now optional that was ONCE standard...the new Maxima ain't a bargin no more.

Think about it...in order to get Xenons (which USED to be standard on the BASE GXE)you have to get the VERY expensive Driver Preferred Pkg...no not the Sensory pkg...but the Driver Preferred pkg.

That is RIDICULOUS...you can get a darn Altima 3.5SE with the Sports Plus Pkg. and get Xenons.

Also, I don't see the benefit of the Skyview...it might look nice inside the car, but on the outside it's extremely ugly and takes away from the looks of the car...Nissan should have not offered it AT ALL...

Futhermore...the interior materials (which are WAY WAY WAY better than the Altima) still look cheap looking...and the gauges inside the car aren't as good as the ones from the previous Maxima

For Nissan to try and move the Maxima upscale...interior material should have been BETTER than the previous generation...but it is worse.

The cloth on the doors is nice...but really...leather SHOULD have been used on models with leather.

I like the rear of the car, and the sides look nice to but the front is UGLY...not just the grille...the lights are ugly and the lower panel looks retarded to...it looks like a smiling dog

While I would consider a basic SE 6spd with Cloth and sunroof or a Basic SL with the Sunroof...the optional pkgs. make the price OUTRAGEOUS...and not worthy of the cost.

What should have happened is simple...

The Altima should have came out (like it did) and it should have had a better interior to compete with the class....

Later the Maxima should have come out, looking like it looks...but without the toothy grille and the dorky headlights...the interior should have been on Audi/Lexus level and the price for a fully loaded model should have not gotten any higher than $32K with every option....Xenons should be standard and the skyview needs to go IMO...but some may like it.

The car is wonderful, style-wise...especially in Liquid Silver or the white color...but the car needs REFINEMENT big time.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    For looks alone...the taillights on the Altima look dated compared to the new Maxima
    Bonesly- I respect your opinion and the good news is that you have a choice...and life is full of them. Nevertheless, It was not the intention to connect someones intellect with their choice of car...no connection but who cares anyway...its not smart (how about that)....dollar for dollar..plain Math- you get less for more money...ummm...nope, not me. The body shape is a matter of taste but features and benefitts can be measured.

I agree with you that my Max 03 is BLAND and boring and that the New Maxima looks better than mine on the outside (excluding the plastic cheap grille).

My poit is that both cars in reality are equally fast. It may take, in my opinion, a professional driver to notice a difference...really they are the same...both are nice and fast. I do push my car and love its torque and acceleration to the max. On the other hand, the old model is miles away and has superior interiors. hands down.

So in a nutshell new Maximas may look better, to some of us, but they are a lot more expensive and cheaper inside. Oh, by the way...have you had a chance to touch the front grill...cheap plastic...

I think that the overwealming opinion in some of these forums is that the new Max IS overpriced and has decreased in quality as far as interiors are concerned...after all you, the owner, will be INSIDE most of the time you are near or around the car.

Maxamillion- I AGREE W/ YOU with everything...specially these 3 points u bring up.

1. For Nissan to try and move the Maxima upscale...interior material should have been BETTER than the previous generation...but it is worse.

2. The cloth on the doors is nice...but really...leather SHOULD have been used on models with leather.

3. For Nissan to try and move the Maxima upscale...interior material should have been BETTER than the previous generation...but it is worse.

And if you look back and review the opinion of others you will find strong support for these opinions. That does NOT mean we are right. There will always be individuals who are willing to dish out a few extra thousand dollars and not reaaly get additional tangible benefitts for their purchase/goods.
  • ramped1ramped1 Member Posts: 159
    Go to the smart shoppers board and post your question on the real world values thread. Terry will take care of you. He will need a complete description of the cars you are considering such as what color, mileage, model, leather/cloth, sunroof, what state, etc. If you screw up, you will get sent to your room:(

To Bones and other '04 owners: While there obviously is disagreement about the value the new Maxima provides, and some of us are not thrilled by some elements of its appearance, I would never challenge the intellect of anyone who purchases a new model. It still is one of the best midsize sedans out there. I just wish it had been executed a little better and was more affordable. Good luck with yours.
  • monte4monte4 Member Posts: 101
    Some true comments, but the 03 Maxima is not bland or boring looking it has a unique look as well espeicially the SE which looks quite sporty. I would leave that for the 97-01 Camry and 98-02 Accords now thats bland and boring , Nissan has always taken bold steps and risk with the Maximas styling. Every since the 3rd gen in 89 Nissan has done something different wit the the Max to make it stand out good or bad. All of this and they donot look like all of the bore mobiles around lot shave tried to immitate for instance the 89 vs the 89 Cressida both new styles but which one was successful the Max, then look what came out in 92 a similiarly shaped Camry.
    I understand your points and appreciate/respect your opinions. I enjoy discussing this with you all.

I agree with you that you get more for the money with the 03 (xenon, nav., etc.) I believe Nissan has done this to sell the car since style-wise (exterior) the car could not bring people in (look at the change in Altima's sales with the new exterior design). This is great for bang for buck. Perhaps, if the new Maxima does not bring them in they will do the same. We will see... I do miss the white on black and black on white gauges of our 98 Maxima :).

As for the xenon lights that was not a high priority on my list. As for the grill, I agree it looks funny at first but is not a big issue. I may look for an after market in the next year. The plastic, from what I can tell is nothing out of the ordinary. We had it on our 98 Maxima and our 01 Sequioa and I see plastic grills on many cars. The skyview, for me, is great (as previously stated I am 6'5") and provides a good compromise between head room and sunroof (I love sun roofs). My head brushes the top of the roof with a sunroof. I have gotten nothing but positive comments on the sky roof (and interior).

My priority was size and I guess is the basis for our difference in point of view. I looked (sat in some) at Infiniti, Acura, BMW, VW, Lexus, Audi, Honda, Toyota, etc.. and felt at the price I purcahsed our 04 it was the best at size/price (and not forget performance :)) and to me this is a tangible benefit. None of the interior issues you spoke about were my priority. The 04 just fits me better.

The 03 Maxima I could not sit up straight when I was in the back seat and my knees hit the back of the front seats. If we did not have kids that might not be such an issue. I can sit up straight without knees hitting in the 04. Sitting in the front was of the 03 was tighter. The G35 (I would have loved to purchase) felt the same - just a tight fit.

This is why I went with the 04. Obviously I am not the average buyer (height-wise, I have the same problem with clothes:)) and will be in the minority (as far as needs) and maybe Nissan will find there are not enough people like me to keep certain options (if no one is getting them for different reasons than me)

Thanks for listening, this is the angle I looked at for my new car purchase (which I may be in the minority). I look forward to discussing issues with you all in the future (hopefully no problems with the car :)).
    Hi,

What are your mileage when you take delivery for your 2004 Maximas? Is 5 miles on the odometer sound right including testing by Nissan before shipping to dealers for their final prep?

Thank you!
    I would have done the same if I were you. I think that if you are not an Interior kinda' guy and need space due to your 6'5'' then more power to ya'. The Max is big. I think is a nice looking car and yes is nice and fast.

For that space...only G35 gets close (close but no cigar!)to it. That is the one thing that makes the Max a niche at that price. A Big Lux Wannabe that is Fast drives nice for a decent price (still, as you know I think they lowered their quality inside did not make it that much faster and yet INCREASE the prices).

The grill...I have to agree with you...GET AN AFTERMARKET AS SOON AS YOU FIND ONE.
    Miles on a new car at delivery will vary...just keep in mind its never going to be zero. Figure adding more miles if the car has been test driven.

Not trying to sound rude,
    but what difference would it make if the odometer reads 5 miles...10...32...50?

If the car has been on the dealers lot awhile and has been test driven frequently it may even have a few hundred miles on it.

FWIW- I bought my 02 max SE as a demo with 1700 miles on it.
  • monte4monte4 Member Posts: 101
    Bone I work for Nissan as a Financial Analysis, and if you know anything about the Max since 02 some of your comments are flawed. Actually 2002 was the first year of the Maxima's upscalling to seperate it from the upcoming Altima, and Nissan knew that sales would fall because of that that was the whole plan(hoping to get Max GXE owners into 3.5 Altima's). The Max offered such things as; Nav,Heated Steering wheel,Trip computer(Option on 2.5SL and 3.5 Altima), memory seats and a host of other things not offered on the topline Altima. The Max sold just as we thought it would with production being in the 90ish k units per year instead of the amount sold at previously yearly.
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Member Posts: 360
    When I buy a new car, I make sure that the car, when delivered, has very little mileage on it (no more than 20), particularly if the dealer has a decent supply of cars.

This may be different if one buys at end of the year when there is little choice in terms of color or optional equipment. Then, you may be stuck with a car that does not perfectly fit your choice, has been test driven quite a bit, and may not even have the new car smell.

You may save some money by buying such car(perhaps $1000 or even more), but you'd have to take the risk that the car is not really the one you would have liked had you bought it a few months earlier. JMHO.
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    There is one problem with buying a demo with say 1500 to 3000 miles on it. You have no control on how this vehicle has been broken in and the first 1000 miles or so are very important to ensure proper piston ring seating and breaking in of various parts. Most demo vehicles are driven by dealership managers or owners who may give this vehicle to their teenage sons to drive for all I know, who will probably take it to 130 MPH before it has 30 miles on the speedometer, drag race it and wear out the brakes half way through by the time the vehicle has 3000 miles. This is one reason I prefer new cars. For manual transmission cars I prefer as low mileage as possible because not every test driver knows how to drive a manual transmission car and may even damage the clutch and gears if they are particularly clumsy.
    sorry, my bad!

I should re-phrase my question in post #7029:

What are your mileage when you take delivery for your 2004 Maximas when you order it from the factory? Of course I am not expecting a zero mile on the odometer.
  • tbrown12tbrown12 Member Posts: 18
    Other than the FWD vs RWD how does the LS8 compare with the I35/Maxima SE. Performance, reliabilty (especially at high miles-brake/rotors, trans, etx), handling, interior noise, etc.

I drove an Acura TLS and I like the performance but don't like how it fits me. Pesonal issue. Otherwise I would have thrown in a TL S-type too.

How does the I35 and LS8 compare. Can get '02's with low mileage although the Max is cheaper by a bit.
    ocuihs-
    If its a car you ordered, probably between 4-7 miles is what comes to mind.

kenny-
    "When I buy a new car, I make sure that the car, when delivered, has very little mileage on it (no more than 20), particularly if the dealer has a decent supply of cars."

Say the dealer has a good supply of the model you want...though the car that is optioned the way you want it say, has 80 miles on it. There are others of the same make that are close in options but the miles are less than 20. Would you compromise the first choice just to get a vehicle that will have less than 20 miles on it?

Just curious.
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Member Posts: 360
    In my experience, I have never taken delivery of a brand new car with more than 20 miles on it (and I have purchased 5 new cars in the past 22 years). I can't see why a dealer with a good supply of new cars in my model would have 80 miles on a new car unless that car has been used quite frequently as a demo. Most dealers in or around New York City do not want anyone to test drive a new car for more than 4 to 5 miles. So, simple math tells me that a new car with 80 miles on it must have been test driven quite a bit.

To answer your question, I will NOT buy a BRAND NEW car with 80 miles on it. Of course, I will always tell the dealer first about this before I even sign the contract. I believe there may be laws out there that put a cap on the maximum amount of miles on a brand new car and the car must have less than the cap if it is to qualify as a new car. Anyone know of the cap?
    where you live, since you say "Most dealers in or around New York City do not want anyone to test drive a new car for more than 4 to 5 miles."

Fair enough.

"So, simple math tells me that a new car with 80 miles on it must have been test driven quite a bit."

Not where I have lived. Cars that have been on a dealers lot awhile, and/or are in areas where longer test drives (than what you are restricted to) are the norm, you can bet you will find vehicles that have that kind of mileage on them- and will be sold as new, no questions asked.

I just dont see (at the very least from a mechanical standpoint) where 80 miles is a big deal from 20 or 30. I guess its just preference.

"...in my model would have 80 miles on a new car unless that car has been used quite frequently as a demo."

Sorry, but a vehicle with 80 miles can in no way be construed as "used frequently as a demo ".

Typically demos are vehicles that are driven like the ones we would buy. If you find a vehicle thats been tagged as a demo with only 80 or so miles on it, THAT would be a find. Demos in my area are driven up to 3-4000 miles....then they are grounded(not used).

"I believe there may be laws out there that put a cap on the maximum amount of miles on a brand new car and the car must have less than the cap if it is to qualify as a new car."

I dont know a specific number, but I would think there is some sort of mileage limit. I have seen cars sold as new with as many as 400 or so miles at time of delivery.
    I am fairly new to these forums and have learn plenty.

One thing I know is that I am, and will be, a smarter buyer or leaser when I turn in my lease in a few years.

For those of us who enjoy our cars and driving...we take our time to look for our next vehicle.

The good thing is that I have plenty of time to see what happends with a few models before the time comes. Will see what are the changes to the Maxima (price, style, and interiors) and other cars that compete in this category.

In the meantime, I will enjoy my 02 Maxima and read on other models. I must say that I DO like my car...specialy the way it drives...its nice!!!!
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    The thing that I find facinating is the new Maxima is about the same weight and power as the G35, Altima (3.5), and 350Z (give or take a few lbs and HP), yet it's so much larger. The interior is so roomy, especially in the rear! I suppose it will not handle as well due to the mass being spread over such a large area, but still, it should accellerate just as well. Now, if we could just get the G35 Coupe/350Z Brembo brakes on it....
    We ordered our 04 Maxima and it arrived with 10 miles on it. We ordered it through our credit union here in Vegas and they ordered it through a dealership in Phoenix. So the car was delivered in Phoenix and then loaded on another truck and delivered here in Vegas. Obviously this is a little different than going through a dealer in the town you live in but 10 miles did not seem out of the ordinary for me.

SAILOVERFUEL - I agree with you the niche for the new Maxima (for now) will be the extra room but the question is are there enough people like me to make a difference to not get a G35 or Altima instead? We will see? I was trying to justify the G35 for myself but just could not do it. If the 04 had not been bigger I would have went with the G35.
  • tomcat_mavtomcat_mav Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone purchased or leased a 2003 or 2004 Maxima? I am considering of getting one, however just would like to make sure if I get reasonable deal. Also, please let me know if there are any rebates, incentives, cash back, etc..?