Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo C70

Comments

• cranecrewcranecrew Member Posts: 27
    You know what you're talking bout'. Dis C70 hez plenti a Moxie unda der hood! I bet those cows never fought or argued either! Good stuff for organic milk!!!!!
  • schuhcschuhc Member Posts: 333
    OK. So my Michelin's have about had it. One of the guys at the dealership indicated that he has heard a ton of good things about, of all things, Bridgestone and their Potenza RE730 Generation 2. Evidently the compound on these is such that when they wear, the tread patter stays the same. He also indicates that they are a ton better in rain because of the pattern of the tread. At $145/pop (tirerack.com) I'm wondering if maybe I shouldn't take a looksee at these.
  • tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,240
    No experience with the Bridgestones, but the price sure beats the $200+ for the P6000's.
  • jimd8jimd8 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2001 C70 with the 17 inch wheels and 45 series Michelin tires. It handles like it is on rails but the ride is the roughest of any car I have ever owned, including several sports cars. Is this normal and is it possible to make it ride better by putting on a larger set of tires, such as a 50 series.
  • bigcpabigcpa Member Posts: 6
    Took me months but I just picked up a '98 coupe with manual transmission in San Diego. Even better it had only 25k miles... got it for $21k.

My first reaction after driving it for a few days... what's the deal with the 3cd changer?? It takes 30 seconds to swap discs, and has trouble locating the tracks on my cd's. Has anyone upgraded this thing? My last Sony 10-CD changer swapped discs in 5 seconds flat. Is the 6-disc unit any better? I might buy that after-market.

Thanks,
    Brian
  • avolvofanavolvofan Member Posts: 358
    Have your other sports cars had 45 series tires and 17 inch wheels? You could go with a higher aspect ratio tire (such as 55 or 60); however, you will also need to reduce the wheel diameter if you want the speedometer and odometer to be accurate. You may also experience tire rubbing against body panels as well if you do not go to a smaller wheel diameter with the higher aspect ratio tires. Volvo publishes a range of wheel diameter and tire aspect ratios that are supported by the speedometer/odometer - the service technician can change the setting fairly quickly.
    If the 3 cd changer is the Pro-Logic unit (distinguished by a speaker nacelle in the center of the dash), the big deal is great sound. There have been many rave reviews of the Dolby Pro-Logic system - if memory serves, one was even published on Edmunds. I personally would leave the 3 cd unit alone and suffer through an extra load time. 15 seconds of longer load time versus 1 hour of superior sound is a small trade-off.
    Jimd8, Do you have the coupe or the convertible? I understand the coupe comes with a firmer suspension than the convertible. I haven't been in a coupe, so I'm unable to compare the two, but my convertible's ride is definitely rougher than my wife's ES300. The tires probably have an impact. Mine are 17 inch 45's versus her 16 inch all season ones. She definitely has more rubber between the road and rim to cushion the impacts. I don't know if your going to 50's would make that much difference.

Bigcpa, Congrads on getting your manual tranny. There could be a problem with your changer. Mine changes CD's in way less than 30 seconds, more like five. I considered adding the 6 disc too, but bought another magazine instead.
    tmart, you have a point about a possible problem with the CD - especially if the unit skips reliably (and not only while driving over serious bumps....) The real question for bigcpa is whether the original factory warranty is still in force if there is a problem with the HU-901 (presumming bigcpa has the Pro-Logic system). Replacement cost for the HU-901 is around $2,000 (ouch!) for just the parts.
    Not to nitpick, but I believe the 3CD changer comes with the SC901. With a 4 year warranty, Bigcpa definitely should check the in service date to see if it's still covered. I haven't priced a replacement, but considering what I paid as an option, it would have to be expensive.
    Thanks for the feedback. I really don't think my unit is defective... it just seems poorly designed. The in/out/in motorized operation is just asinine.

I see the 6CD units on ebay so I thought I might try that. Can anyone shed some light if the 6CD loads disks faster? Also has anyone tried a different brand of CD changer that can interface with the SC901 system?

Thanks again!
  • jimd8jimd8 Member Posts: 2
    Yes, I own the C70 coupe. I have had other cars with 50 series tires but never 45 series. When I look at information on tire rack.com it says going from a 45 series to a 50 series in the same brand tire raises the height about one inch. I don't know if this would be enough to make a difference. I was surprised at the ride because all the reviews I read on this car said it had a soft ride for a sports coupe.
    I would tend to doubt that you will be able to get any aftermarket CD changer to work with the Volvo unit (other than a Volvo CD changer). This is based on attempting to find a changer that would work with the factory systems in 850, S-70 and S-60 cars. Most recently, I attempted to find a CD changer for an S-60 HU-613 through Crutchfield.com, but struck out. To Crutchfield's credit, they were honest and stated upfront that they were not aware of a solution other than Volvo.
    I believe that Alpine makes the Volvo changers, so possibly an Alpine unit would work.
    Ride "softness" can be affected by a number of factors, only one of which is tire aspect ratio. If switching to a 50 aspect ratio will raise the height of the car one inch, be very careful if you move to 50 series tires with 17 inch wheels. I don't want to sound like a broken record, but you may be getting into trouble regarding tire fit to the vehicle.
    Today I actually timed my CD changer... the exact time to change discs was 17 seconds. So I exaggerated but it still sucks!

Today I dropped $170 on the Alpine CHM-S630 6 disc that interfaces with the SC-901 system. I'm told it's very fast and efficient. I may never use the 3CD now.

I need to buy an adapter from Crutchfield for $49 and I'm home free. Anyone seen this adapter for less? The part is called VOLIL and I've seen it as high as $90 on the web.
    I hope the Alpine unit works for you! Please post an update after everything is installed and operational. In particular, can you control (e.g. select discs and tracks) the Alpine CD changer from the SC-901? Did you get the Alpine unit on eBay?
    Let us know how it all works out.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    I own a 2002 C70 coupe, have no prob w/ the SC901 3 disc. I have found it to be comparable to the 6 disc in my old T5R.
    Good job on the alpine, $49 isn't bad for the adaptor.
    The C70 is really the last Volvo that you can get an aftermarket changer for. The new P2 cars, like the S60 have to use the factory system. You can't add aftermarket parts unless you scrap the whole system.
    My car has 18" wheels w/ 45 series rubber. Michelin Pilot Sports. Love these tires!!!!
    Very smooth w/ a minimum of harshness.
    Yes the sport suspension can be a little harsh, but I'm used to it having been around this car since its inception
    All:

Bought the Bridgestone Protenza RE730 Generation 2's @ Tirerack.com Saturday. $610 which include shipping. My dealership in the burbs is going to put them on for $19/tire (which makes me wonder what the dealership in the city was thinking when the quoted me $1,050. Morons.) I'll let you know how they are over the Michelin Pilots (17") that lasted 40K (can't complain bout that).

Tommy - My friend tells me you got a tempermental chick named Lili coming your way. Hope you got that gas powered generator ready to go.
    Yeah, she's a coming...and we're scheduled to fly to the Carolinas Thursday too!
    or swim?

Lis was nice enough to let us go to Myrtle Beach for the 'Honeymoon' knowing that we would be going to Italy in 2003. If you never have, make sure you stop in Charleston for the day.
    Magnolia Cafe for Lunch (185 E. Bay St.)
    Think the place we went out of business.

Have fun. The Norman course at Barefoot is really nice
    North Myrtle Beach is where we're headed. We're originally from SC. So far, the flight hasn't been canceled. Will be calling them later today.
    I'm sure you'll get out ok.
    Have fun. I'll let you know about the Bridgestones when you get back. Unless, of course, Lili has wiped out your isp.
    Long comment short.
    No issue with dry
    No issue with wet.
    Unless they don't last long, as of right now (500 miles) I don't know why I'd pay $90 more per tire for Michelin.
  • agcpaagcpa Member Posts: 4
    Have just recently purchased a 2002 C70. Enjoy it very much. Was advised to get a wind screen/deflector, which fits in the back and is supposed to cut down on the flow and noise. Two questions: 1) Do they really work? 2) How much should this accessory cost? (I was originally told about $200-250, but when I went to the dealer I was told $420 and that they would have to special order the item; does this sound right?)

Thanks
    Agcpa,
    1) Yes, it really does work. So well, it really should be standard.

2) I've got a '99 and it was $350 after tax. Of the four dealers in Houston, one had it in stock. The other three said they could have it in in two to four days. Interestingly, all four had it priced the same. I understand there was a change on the '02 and '03's from the prior years, but $420 still sounds high to me. Think it has to do with the mounting holes in back. Have seen them a couple of times on Ebay, so you might get lucky. As I recall they went for less than $250. Unfortunately, I had already bought mine when the first one came up. Use "Volvo C70" in the search window.

It's pricey, but definitely worth the money. You won't regret it.
  • cb99999cb99999 Member Posts: 4
    I'm considering buying a '99 C70 R. Anyone know what the "R" means? I've never seen it referenced in any of the messages here, nor in any ads.

Any suggestions on what to look carefully at before I purchase? Seems to be in great shape, not a blemish on it, 33K miles, has the premium sound system, Pirelli tires.

Thanks for any advice.
    I could be wrong, but I think it means someone bought the "R" from IPD and stuck it on the back. I have a '99 convertible, and as you noted, I haven't seen the "R" mentioned anywhere in Volvo's publications. Only place I've seen it mentioned was in the IPD catalog. I believe Volvo is going make an "R" version for the S60 though. Are you considering the convertible or the coupe?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,934
    as far as I know, the last R offered to us was the '97 850 R sedan. Is this at a dealer or is it private sale? If its private sale, I would definitely question them on it. If its at a dealer, depends if its a Volvo dealer or not. A Volvo dealer should know better.

There is a possibility that it has been modified and the owner felt the "R" was an appropriate way to advertise that. And if its modified, I might be cautious about buying it.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

There was/is no C70 R.
    The emblem is available in the parts
    I modified my 2002 coupe, put on the ipd exhaust, k&n filter and 18" wheels, stuck the R badge on it.
    Bottom line, quiz the owner, see why he put the badge on it
  • dfwk2500dfwk2500 Member Posts: 68
    My wife has a '99 convertible that has only been hand washed (by me) since new. I've been traveling more recently and she wants to run the car through an automatic car wash. Has anyone routinely run their convertible through a "soft touch" or "touchless" car wash? If so, any problems or issues regarding water penetration or top damage?

With respect to the "'99R", be careful. There was an situation in Dallas where a salvaged Honda (wrecked) was resold with the Honda accessory R badge without disclosing the rebuild. When a civil action was brought against the used car dealer, his defense was he disclosed the fact that the vehicle was reconditioned, that is what the R meant. Don't know how the case eventually turned out, it was related to me by a judge who heard about it from a colleague.
    Don't think the wash would hurt the car or top, but my concerns would be water penetration between the windows. Maybe they could add a leather cleaner/conditioner to the final rinse cycle!

"R" meaning reconditioned. That's a good one! I might have to call IPD!
    The C70 R is a convertible, offered by Carmax. Decided to get it today, but Carmax has a five-day return. Did the simple version of the CARFAX, as well as talked to Volvo. Car has never been wrecked, salvaged or reconditioned according to those two sources. Volvo said every recall item was repaired. Drove 100+ miles today and really like the car, despite constant rain. Figure if its good in that condition, it will be great in the sunshine.

Will take it to a Volvo dealer in the next day and get it looked over, however.
    more when the sun comes out! That one touch top is amazing to watch in action, plus there's no cover to mess with. From personal experience, I recommend you get the Volvo wind screen. It will be money well spent. I can't believe the difference it makes, and really adds to the enjoyment of going "topless"!
    Checked out the ipd site, and found a custom rear spoiler that is on my c70 "R" model. i bet the previous owner added that and maybe some other stuff along with the "R". I'll have a mechanic look for other "enhancements". Thanks for the tip.

You guys are right, though. The C70 is a great car to drive. I'm having a blast. Stereo is terrific, seats comfortable, drive is nice and smooth. My kids - 13 and 10 -- are already lobbying for it to be "their" car when they are of age. I told them I'll probably be out of the convertible stage by then, and buy a station wagon. :)
    The things I miss when I don't look at this post regularly!!!!!!!
    Glad your enjoying your R!
    As for the carwash we have an autowash at our store,the convertibles have no problem going thru it.
  • candyman85233candyman85233 Member Posts: 43
    I am in the market for a luxury convertible, although it will be a used one. I pretty much have narrowed it down to the BMW 3 series or the C70. I have read posts on both sites, but buying a used C70 concerns me if Volvo stops producing them next year. Is that reliable info? I am interested in comfort and nice ride, and it seems that the C70 is the best option. Any advice? Should I spend the additional on a new one? Thanks in advance!
    Yes it's true Volvo will stop producing the C70, but I wouldn't let that stop you getting one. Most all the stuff is basically interchangeable, except for the sheet metal. Just look at all the 740 and 240's still around. As far as comfort goes, the C70 is one fine ride, plus it's a true four passender. If dollars are not a problem, go for the new, otherwise go used. Good Luck and let us know what you decide.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,934
    Why should stoppage of production concern you? Hell, if anything, it just makes it more rare. The reason they are stopping is due to slow sales. Personally, I blame that on poor public exposure. I still find people all the time who say "Volvo makes a sporty coupe??"

The advantages are that it is larger than the 3-series and, due to the lower popularity as mentioned above, you could get a much better deal on one. Which also brings me to my other point: I would advise against a new one. Used is a much better bargain and you won't be hit with that harsh initial depreciation.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I sure agree with you on the public exposure. Even though a relatively limited production, one rarely sees the C70 advertised. I, too, have people say "I didn't know Volvo makes a convertible" and they've been made since '98! Volvo really blew it on the advertising. On the plus side though, except for "Volvo" on the center of the trunk for the '02's instead of below the left tail light, and no side lights on the '98, they all look the same which is a good thing.
    What I know of Volvo is that they come out with the coupe for a couple of years and then take it away for a couple of years so I don't think that it's because of slow sales. I hardly see any on the lots here in Chicago and the burbs.

My salesman told me (while between him trying to buy the XC90 via the European program) that they are planning to have the next convertible/coupe built off of the S60 platform and that it would be coming out in a couple of years.

That's just what I know so I could be wrong (as I frequently am according to my wife).
    Next coupe will be of the new P1 platform.
    It will be a 4 seater with a folding hard top.
    It will not arrive until the 2005 model yr.
    Current C70cv will be back for 2004.

Volvo has always had short lifespans for their coupes. See the 262 and 780 bertones.
    We ahve done well w/ the convertibles not so well w/ the coupes.
    Volvo loses money on the cars which is why they don't want to compound the looses by advertising.
    Stupid i know but what can you do?
    Thanks for the advice. It is true, I never would have picked a Volvo as a "luxury" convertible until I read the reviews. Now I just have to go test drive the Volvo and the BMW 3 series. But the bmw is rear wheel drive which I am not hip to, and not as big/roomy/etc...

Now, I am pretty sure I am going to by used, so what are the differences between 1999/2000/2001/2002? I am hoping to get one around $25000 and I like the silver with the black top look. Thanks again in advance!
    I cannot find anywhere what HT and LT stand for, unless its high-turbo and low-turbo? Am I right? That seems to be a huge price difference for the different turbos!

If anyone knows a C70 convertible for sale private owner that needs a good home at a reasonable price, make sure to email me. I am not afraid to drive, I live in AZ, and would prefer a car that has resided in a warm-weather state. Thanks! (Rseboltaz@yahoo.com)
    You're right, high turbo and low turbo. The HT produces 236 HP, the LT 190. The LT actually has more low end torque than the HT and is a slightly larger engine. Some of the price differences are some options are standard with the HT and are extra on the LT. Check Ebay for some convertibles. Just use "Volvo C70" in the search window. Have seen a few from AZ. Good hunting.
    1998 non existant only a few hundred built.
    My personal preference would be 2001 or 2002.
    the transmission was reprogrammed and the chassis was reinforced underneath to deal with shimmy issues.
    $25,000 sounds like a 99 though.
    There is a 2001 on ebay that states it had its tranny replaced under warranty. Has there been any problems with the trannys? Should this concern me since it is a 2001 with 44000 miles and a new tranny? Or should it be ok if it was done at the dealer?

Thanks for all the info. I think I will do a 2001 if the tranny was reprogrammed and the chassis was reinforced, it would be worth it. Is there a noticeable difference in the ride of the car?
    I see several '98's for sale on Ebay . In fact, that's where I discovered that the '98's, coupes and converts, didn't have the side lights, but had the Volvo name instead. Also, many I've seen have serial numbers greater than 500, assuming they started with one.