Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• hoopofficialhoopofficial Member Posts: 21
    All this talk about the MPV reliability makes me nervous. Christ, my van only has 1,000 miles on it and I'm thinking of trading it in. Just kidding. Seriously, has anyone had any major issues besides the sulfur smell which I have not yet incountered. Thanks for the input.
  • basurfbasurf Member Posts: 42
    Well I am definitely not nervous...from what research I did the van is very reliable...only problem I have seen that seems to be a complaint and semi-common is the whole sulfur deal. I have seen other complaints here and there but those happen no matter what vehicle you get. I was in no way implying the MPV is a lemon...I love the thing!...when it isn't stinking up the air heheh.
  • danandkatdanandkat Member Posts: 67
    Ok, guys, my d.w. and I are reading these posts. "What's plood?" I ask.

"I don't know", she responds.

So, is 'plood' a color or an area? Or something else? And where is the word derived from? (Sorry about that last part, but inquiring minds....)

Thanks.
  • tboner1965tboner1965 Member Posts: 647
    Plastic Wood

TB
  • tbcreativetbcreative Member Posts: 357
    I just have one more question about your reply from a week ago about the GFX colors. When you say the GFX comes in any color choice, do you mean you can get the ground effects in any color, but the rest of the vehicle is limited to the sparce color palette, or are you saying that if you get the GFX package, you can have the whole van in any color? I'm sure it's the former, but that still seems a little strange. Why would Mazda allow someone to get one in, say Midnight Blue Mica, with red ground effects?

If it was the latter, and we could get an MPV in Millenium Red, that would be great, but I don't like the GFX package as much, especially with that awful silver insert.

It's really disappointing that Mazda wouldn't offer the MPV in some kind of red. There was a picture of a one-off MPV that Mazda Speed put together for the launch of the 2002s in Truckin' Magazine that looked REALLY SHARP in Millenium Red.

I wouldn't mind so much about the lack of more color choices, because I like the Black and Midnight Blue Mica, but my wife is really bummed about it. She enjoys having a sporty red car, and really likes how the Chrysler/Dodge vans look in red. I think we would have a 2002 MPV in our garage right now, especially with the incentives going on, if Mazda would have wised up and done the right thing.

Why would they tease consumers with the one-off custom MPV in a beautiful red anyway?! That's just torture...
  • tccmn1tccmn1 Member Posts: 278
    I was at the local Mazda dealer in the north metro of St. Paul and saw an ES with the dash insert in a cool sparkly plastic finish rather than the woodgrain. The salesperson said that earlier 2002 models did not come this way, but that it was the way Mazda was making them now...?
    She said that Mazda has a habit of changing small things during the year....at least how they arrive in the U.S.. Anyone else heard of this. Again, I'm talking about the insert places on the door handles and around the dash insert areas that are a plastic on the lower end models or have been a woodgrain on some ES, etc..this new look has a high tech finish look to it that is really cool.

Also waiting for a reponse on my old post about those of you who have had an MPV for a while now and how you like the smaller interior compared to other mini's around. Anyone out there go from a Dodge/Chrys/Plmth mini to this MPV and are satisfied with the smaller, but sporty feel?
    Again, rear hatch and inside between wheel wells is some 5" narrower than the Chrysl.minis....

Thanks.
  • pieracpierac Member Posts: 43
    Go back to post 4094 and click on the link. There are a few photos of the optional dash trim.

As to the size that's personal. I did not need a larger van since I only have two kids. No more coming since I'm pushing 40. The van parks in the garage with plenty of room. It also handles better than the larger vans. Your needs may be different. A good way to look at it is to balance needs with wants. :-)
  • dbs2001dbs2001 Member Posts: 46
    We went from a '91 Grand Caravan to the MPV. Interior is obviously smaller; however, the space is utilized so well (especially with the tumble 3rd seat) that we believe we can get almost as much in it. We are more than happy with the change. Now have 14,600 miles on our '01 ES with no problems. Comfort is great! Just drove from LA to San Jose yesterday (370 miles) and did not feel tired when I got home.

Dennis
  • marcbmarcb Member Posts: 152
    I have a 1993 Plmth swb and a 2000 mpv. I doubt that's what your looking at so i didn't bother to respond.

But if it is let me know so i can bore you with all the sordid details (scary thought).

I also often hitch with my officemates 2000 dc, but I won't be able to provide tape measure comparison (yikes... even scarier thought).
    from a 97 Grand Voyager to the 2000 MPV

We found we didn't need all the space the GV offered, and MPV has had 0 (zero) return visits to the dealer (other than the damager the dealer did delivering the vehicle)

The GV wasn't a bad minivan (probably the best you could buy then) but did have two or three minor issues. The wipers would turn on for no apparent reason (dealer replaced switch assy) and the stereo would not play tapes (dealer replaced head unit)

Probably wouldn't have traded it if wifey didn't put the big dent down the side of it.

TB
  • billmckinleybillmckinley Member Posts: 167
    I went from a '94 Voyager (swb) to the 2001 MPV. I've found that despite its shorter size, there's more easily usable room. The tumble-down third row is a lot easier to deal with than removing the Voyager's bench ever was. And removing the second row captains' chairs--on the rare occasions that I've had to--is a snap, unlike the hernia-inducing heft of the Plymouth's.
    And handling? The only thing I miss about the Plymouth is the smooth transmission it had. The MPV has it all over the Voyager in road handling, especially cornering. As a matter of fact, I got rid of the 94 because of its lumpen handling. In this thing, I drive it like a car because I forget I'm in a van. When I finally trade it in, it won't be because I need more space or I'm tired of its roadability. On the other hand, when my neck finally fractures from hard shifts . . . .

RJ
  • asa0526asa0526 Member Posts: 26
    Bob_Maria,

If you have not bought your MPV yet, here's the info you requested -
    Cash Price = $ 21,569.00
    Accessorites + 895.00
    Sub Total = $ 22,464.00
    + Doc Fee 45.00
    + Sales Tax 1,856.99
    Total = $ 24,365.99
    - 2,000.00 (Mazda discount)
    - 500.00 (grad discount)
    Overall Total= $ 22,442.00 (addl. license fee and trade-in payoff amount)

Hope that helps.
    I found much easier to talk to their Internet sales person instead of doing a walk-in.
  • scannerscanner Member Posts: 295
    Is this the same Big Guy who has been minivan shopping for the past two years? ;-) Well, congrats anyway.

BTW, thanks to Tbcreative for the response about the ashtray.
  • scannerscanner Member Posts: 295
    Tccmn1,

Wider was better until I went to park it in my garage. ;-)
  • pjd58pjd58 Member Posts: 366
    That was Pontiac's ad campaign:) The Caravan/Voyager(Not the Grand) seem much smaller than the MPV, especially in legroom and rear cargo. The deep well, in the MPV, for the rear bench, really adds cargo room. There is hardly any room for cargo behind the 3rd row of DC's base van.

Pjd58
  • mefoghornmefoghorn Member Posts: 12
    Certainly the GC is absolutely generous on the interior space. While the MPV does make very efficient use of its innards, I find it harder to move around in, strapping kids in, moving from front seats to back, etc. I hit my knee on the dash sometimes when I get in to drive. I never removed my back bench. Never had to with all the space behind, but the MPV is so easy to fold down that I don't think I will miss that space. I did fit my golf clubs in width-wise yesterday.

Just for fun: Wife and kids just drove to Angel Fire NM today. She tells me the boys were just giddy driving through the mountains with the windows down. I drive it home next week for our first serious miles, after two weeks of ownership now.

BTW, you can buy my GC just as soon as I get it out of the shop. After most of 8 weeks in, the entire wiring harness is having to be replaced. This on top of new trany in Feb. at 133K miles.
  • pjd58pjd58 Member Posts: 366
    Windstar's blown engines and DC's tranny problems.

Pjd58
    I am looking for opinions on the rear spoiler. Does it help control the dust as they say it does? How is it attached to the van? Has anyone installed it? Thanks for the input.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Customer waiting with spoiler questions...
  • beachnutbeachnut Member Posts: 291
    When did you install the intercom system in here Malt? Nice touch!

Hoop: I have an OEM spoiler that I ordered from mazdastuff.com, but I've yet to install it. If you decide to buy one, be prepared to precisely drill 4 holes. On 2 of the holes, Mazda recommends using a 3/4" Michigan Drill bit which will set you back $38. You could probably use a metal hole saw too, but I decided to get this one. I think the spoiler is going to look great! I can't remark yet about it's dust/dirt/rain deflection abilities. When I get the bit, I'll post my install results.

Thanks for the information. Is sounds much to risky for my mechanical abilities. I'm envisioning my MPV with bondo and and touch up paint. Not a nice thought. I will be calling a dealer to see what they will whack me to install it. I didn't see the spoiler on Mazdastuff.com. What did it set you back? Thanks again.
    The spoiler was $165. IIRC, you can't get one yet for an '02, maybe until the '03s come out. I'm not sure how that works, but I know someone was looking for one on the MPVClub.com forum and couldn't find it either. They have them for the '01-'00. The problem is matching the color correctly between model years. HTH
    The problem is matching the color correctly between model years.

There are some carry over colors so check with your dealer for availability. Also it is available primered(paint to match) as P/N 0000-86-3000-00 for a few dollars less.
  • rogdarogda Member Posts: 2
    Hi all

The following requests was posted over at mpvclub.com (by rogda), but I thought I would place my request here as well.

My Dealer is convinced that he has an LX (not sports) with a heavy duty rad minus the 16" alloys. His position (which is wrong) is that the heavy rad is standard on all MPVs and the towing package is really just the alloy and 16" tire upgrade. Anyway, in a few days when I go to see the car to possibly pick it up, I want to be able to say this is or isn't the heavy duty radiator and larger tranny cooler. Unfort. not sure how to identify the larger radiator. There are not alot of MPVs on the lot, so not sure if one or the right one will be there for comparison.

Is there something that distinguishes the rads apart from size...someone mentioned maybe number of fans. If size is it, would someone mind popping their hood and giving me rough height, width of the the standard rad and/or heavy duty one.

Not sure how to identify the tranny cooler. Got some good tips re: this on another forum.

Thanx much

Rman
    I don't think you'll be able to see much of a difference in the radiator. The real difference is in the transmission oil cooler. On the non 4-seasons package, the trans cooler has 2 rows. On the 4-seasons equipped van, the cooler has 3 rows. Not super easy to spot but it can be done.

Of course, I'm not sure what's wrong with looking at the window sticker.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    I was wondering about the window sticker too...
  • javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    you guys...

Nice intercom system you got rigged up there too, malt. I heard it all the way over in the Frozen Foods section.
    Rear Spoiler
    Since I live on a dirt road, I can tell you the spoiler makes no difference in dust build up. At least in my situation. Granted I have to drive much slower which allows the dust to catch up to the van. I have about 1800 feet of dirt road to travel each day. However, The look of the spoiler more than makes up for it's inability to keep the dust off the back of the van. I bought one of those dust mops and wipe the van down every other day. Love that spoiler. ;-)
    That's cause you left the door open! The folks in the Mid-west were complaining about the cold earlier today.
  • rogdarogda Member Posts: 2
    Yeh, I thought about the window sticker, but the two dealerships I went to, I didn't see a window sticker on one car. I think in the US that it is mandatory to be displayed...anyone know the rules in Canada ?

Anyway, I was fully expecting this car to show up without a manufacturers windows sticker. Maybe it will. And yes, I guess the towing package option should be specified there. But I am not holding my breath on it being there.

Thus my question re: the physical characteristics of the cooler and rad.

Thanx

R.
    Ya it has definetly grown on me. When I was shopping, it wasn't a factor in my decision. My next logical question is, Is it worth the $300+ it is going to cost me to buy it and have it installed? Any thoughts?
    I thought all of your food up there was frozen ;)

TB
    Just in from seeing Mama Mia
    lol. Only the fish and icecream in my freezer. Oh, and fish coolers in the van (reqcon...).

Any word on your FAIS for the 'other' car?
    Thanks to all of you who replied with your oppinion on the van size. I test drove the MPV and was pleasantly surprised with the power (02) and the tightness of the ride and steering. I agree with you about size and fitting it into garages, etc...that's why I changed my mind from the SUV's back to minivans...sliding doors are better in garage too. We have two kids and wife does Girl Scout stuff too. My old 95 Caravan has been a workhorse for me (replaced tranny under warr. at 99K miles and now have 160K on her. She's in cherry shape...bright red SPORT SE model with full power...anyone interested?
    The only thing I noticed was the 'cheap' pull out cup holders on the pass side of second row seat. Also, the drawer under pass. seat has no lock and seems small and fragile compared to the old one on my DC. IT has a lock and is bigger for junk.
    I see where the 03's are offering many features on the LX's that were only on the ES's in 02 and have eliminated the Luxury Package. I like this idea. Don't know how pricing will be affected though.
  • tbcreativetbcreative Member Posts: 357
    Just wondering what your answer is to this post from the other day.

Thanks! – TBC
  • jwm271jwm271 Member Posts: 27
    I purchased a black spoiler as shown in the 2002 accessory booklet. Part #0000-86-3000-08. The last two digits indicate the color code & the cost was $161.20. After looking at the instructions, I decided to have a local body shop install the spoiler. They quoted a one hour rate of $45.00 to install. It actually took about 1 1/2 hours but charged only the quoted $45.00.I think it really helped the looks.
    Where did you get it from? A dealer or internet site?
    Picked up the van today. Everything installed but the mud flaps. Mud flaps still not in yet. Roof rack and fog lamps look great.
    Now for the issues. The auto mirror is just not worth the cost. The temp on mine is about 20 degrees off. It read 135 when I left the dealer and never got below 127 while driving, even when driving slow on a dirt road. I figure it was about 108 out today. Compass was accurate but I always know which way I going anyway, so not much benefit. One draw back is there is no longer a dimmer tap since it's auto. Now I can't flip the tap down to shift the mirror so I can take a peep at the kids in the back. :-(
    How was the installation of the mirror? I here that the roof panel has to be dropped. Any rattles or loose panels?

I'm still waiting for the auto-dim mirror I ordered as part of my deal to show-up. Based on your feedback and other feedback that I have read, I think that I am going to try and get a credit and bail out of the mirror. With the window tint on the back window, glare is less of an issue.

Thanks again
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    I must have missed the question...Our power went down 4 times yesterday (heat related) and its usually in the middle of posting...so I have missed a few...please ask again and I will try to post the answer quickly...i'll be online today

Rich
  • jwm271jwm271 Member Posts: 27
    That $161.00 was the wholesale price from local dealer. List price was about $207. The spoiler is cheaper as an original option, but when we bought our van in mid Feb. the choices were more limited. We found one with everything except the spoiler & decided to add it later. Have about 7000 miles now & really like it. However, the gas mileage around town is only 15-16 MPG and that is not in gridlocked traffic. Much of it is 50-60 MPH limited access roads & some stop & go.
  • bmclaughlin1bmclaughlin1 Member Posts: 19
    We has the temp/compass auto dim mirror installed by the dealer on our new P-5, and on our 01 Protege LX. No rattles at all, and it seems to function fairly well. We enjoy having it.

Bill
  • docablasdocablas Member Posts: 9
    just bought a 2002 lx with security, luxury, four seasons and rear air and a couple of other small items. i was hoping to get a set of mudguards from the dealer, but reading the previous posts about mazdastuff, it seemed just as good to order it from them. any machine work necessary to install the mudguards? thanks.
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    To install the fronts, it requires you to drill a hole for one of the screws. There's 3 screws per guard, 2 mount into existing holes in the front wells. I opted to try the guards w/o the drilled hole for now. It's sturdy enough w/o it, at least for now.

To install the backs, no drilling is needed. You may need to trim some plastic for one bottom screw (again there's 3 per guard). The plastic is not seen and is part of the wheel well.

Pictures and some brief instructions here (Adobe Acrobat Reader needed):

frontmudguard.pdf rearmudguard.pdf

-Brian

Welcome to the club and congrats on your new ride! Mazdastuff.com is great ... I've bought several things from them - real easy, nice folks, and usually the best price for that sort of *stuff* (pun intended!)
    Since the 2002's with the bigger engine have been out a while now, I'm interested in hearing the mileage stats. Anyone care to share? Are the ratings on the sticker pretty accurate?
    I'm the type that does ALOT of comparing of like vehicles before I take the plunge...so it's great to hear some of the good and bad of experiences. Thanks.
    Hey, welcome docablas! I've heard lots of good things about mazdastuff.com. Anyone know their affiliation?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    From their web page, they look to be in Texas, so you can't, in good conscience, shop there :-)

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • prlamzprlamz Member Posts: 78
    Mileage is not the MPV's strongest suit. Very low 20's is about what you can expect.
  • docablasdocablas Member Posts: 9
    for the prompt replies, and good to be here as well. decided against getting the pilot in favor of the more practical and fun to drive mpv. i'll keep an eye on my mileage though. great job on the .pdf instructions.