Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    As a Mazda dealer I can confirm that the current MPV incentive is dealer cash and it is not a consumer rebate. This can be a big benefit to consumers.....Here in Connecticut rebates are taxable so a $2000 reabte would only net the consumer $1880. Dealer cash is not taxable in most states...so if the consumer is shrewed enough to get a dealer to give it all up...you come out ahead of a consumer rebate.

so if the dealer says there is no consumer rebate they are telling the truth.
  • cw11cw11 Member Posts: 12
    I live in NY and I did call Quirk Mazda in Boston to verify their offer. A couple of last minute deal breaker made us cancel the trip:
    1. The sales couldn't give us a temporary MA license plate, so instead we would have to make two trips- first one to get the title for registering in NY and the second one is bringing the plates to drive the MPV back. (he did say this is the problem only with NY state, don't know about others)
    2. When I ask him to fax me a copy of work sheet of VIN and other details with manager's signature so I could have some assurance before the trip, he wouldn't do it- Even after I offer to put my credit card number for deposit. His argument was that a)owner wouldn't allow him fax me any signed document, b)the MA laws forbid him to do so since they have to honor their ad on a first come first serve basis (deposit doesn't count?!).
    Don't mean to bad mouth the dealer- his arguments might be legit, but at the end we just decide it's not worth the risk.
  • sweet_subiesweet_subie Member Posts: 1,394
    go to fitzmall.com

they are in the DC, Annapolis area.....FIXED price dealer....they offer 4,000 below MSRP on most MPVs.....

Check it out
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Thanks for the "dealer cash" info. Any predictions on what Mazda is going to do on the 1st with MPV incentives?

Steve, Host
  • bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    Do you see any indication of the dealer cash back going away anytime in the near future? Seems to me like the sales would've had to increase significantly in order for dealer cash to go away and that doesn't seem to be the case. However, you're in a better position than I am to see the change.
    I don't expect the MPV incentives to change but we will know for sure in just a couple days...some regions are going to have a product shortage. We are the one of the biggest mazda dealers in the state and we are currently sitting with 3 MPV in stock. We normally have 20-25 in stock.

Bottgers....incentives are mostly based on current unsold inventory on the ground, daily national and daily regional sales rates and production rates at the factory....Our daily sales rates in the northeast are good and inventories are not big which is normally a reason to pull back a little on incentives. But, Mazda is looking for market share with the MPV, and our favorite van is getting the job done. The Toyota dealership next door to me hates the MPV with a passion!!. So I expect incentives to remain similar to where they are now...
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    that sales are strong for the MPV. Do you know how it's fairing in the Midwest? I have seen a few more popping up lately...

-Brian
    When Mazda makes their decision to either discontinue or continue on with the dealer cash back at the beginning of each month, does it pertain to all Mazda dealers, or just those with more vehicles in stock and lower sales numbers? You mentioned you're one of the larger dealers in the eastern region and you have very few MPV's in stock. Many of the dealerships in the Denver area still have more than 20 MPV's sitting on their lots. Does that mean dealers in your area could lose your dealer cash, and the Denver dealers will still get theirs? How does it work?
  • kimandmark3kimandmark3 Member Posts: 6
    Tonight I became the proud owner of a 03 shimmering sand MPV. It has 4 season package, traction control/side airbags, GFX package, CD changer, rear air, roof rack, and cargo mat. Came out to $26610 on edmunds MSRP, which includes destination charge (cargo mat doesn't show on edmunds but list for $50 I think). I got it for $22175 (before sales tax) which is $2250 below invoice and $4435 below MSRP.
    I tried going through my local dealer to acquire this car as it was located 75 miles down the road. He would sell it for $22900, so I called them directly and got them down to $22262. I decided to pass at this point (last night) because I was looking at ordering one exactly the way I wanted it (coastal blue, 4 season, traction/airbags, and rear air only). But then I was concerned whether the $2000 dealer incentive would be there when I took delivery so I changed my mind today and got them to take $22,175. Besides my wife will be driving it and really wanted the power doors and cd changer and shimmering sand is her favorite MPV color. So I guess it was meant to be. I had an overall positive experience with the staff at Mitchell Mazda in Enterprise AL, and would recommend them.
     I wasn't a big fan of the GFX package but its growing on me. Anyway I learned a lot from you guys/gals before I bought my car.
    Thanks
    Mark Mitchell
  • tccmn1tccmn1 Member Posts: 278
    I'd say that I am seeing more and more MPV's around the Twin Cities over the past few months.
    I can also say that I see a few of the 2000-2001's too....can tell by the different front and back ends. I think they are catching on as a great alternative to the larger mini's. With all the positive write-ups, that should continue.
    A year ago I didn't see many Toy HL's either, but am seeing many more of those around here now too. Both seem to be good vehicles that are catching on here. (only bring this up because I came quite close to buying a HL last year)
  • kevriakevria Member Posts: 14
    In regards to your questions, you'll be happy to know that Mazda is
    currently offering two APR choices for the 2003 Mazda MPV. Upon
    approval and financing through Mazda American Credit, you may choose
    between 0% APR for 12-36 months, or 3.9% APR for 49-60 months. There is
    no customer cash for the Northeast region. This offer is currently
    scheduled to expire on April 30th (this Wednesday), and is subject to
    change without notice. Dealerships may offer incentives in addition to
    those offered by Mazda North American Operations. Please contact the
    Mazda dealership in your area for more specific information on current
    incentives. You can also try visiting our "Special Offers" Section on
    our website.
    I was told that the dealer's were getting $1000 cash back so that is what was taken off the Invoice price. I would love to have gotten $5000 off MSRP because that would have saved me an additional $2000.
    Do you know if a downpayment is required in order to qualify for the 3.9 financing, or will they finance 100%? If I remember correctly, in order to qualify for the 0% financing, you have to come up with a certain amount for a downpayment.
    I have no idea whether a downpayment is required. You could email MazdaUSA about it...
    It's not that I have anything against the GFX package per se, but if I was ordering an MPV I would not get it. I just view it as paying for something I didn't want or need. I will admit that I like it more now than when I first saw it.
    Quick question: Does Mazda make a GFX Bra or will the standard Mazda MPV bra fit?
    Thanks
    Mark Mitchell
  • tccmn1tccmn1 Member Posts: 278
    I have it on my LX and tried to get mud guards for it, but they don't have them...yet. You can get by without flaps, but it still would be nice to get some molded type that would protect the tar and stuff from flying up on the flares.

I have not seen a bra that will fit this yet either.

One thing that was changed for 03 on the GFX is that it does not come with the Chrome strip in it any longer like it did back on the 02's....or so I was told. Mine has the inlay pattern, but no chrome applique. Was told this is because of the chipping and stuff that happened to it at that low level.
    My GFX package has a silver painted strip. (Maybe this is the same thing tccmn1 means by "inlay pattern"). On my pre buy inspection I noticed it had chipped off in one small area (Probably happened when this car was sold from the original dealer to this one). It was after the service shop closed so the dealer is sending me some free touch up paint as he is located 75 miles away. Is this a common problem with the strip?
  • lsinclsinc Member Posts: 270
    I'm not sure about the bra. I had one for my 96 Olds. Cutlass Supreme and it was a pain in the neck. It also started to leave a line on the hood as if the exposed part was fading but the covered part wasn't. I decided at that point no more bras for my cars. I have a small chip on the front bumper and will get some touch up paint.

I know in my Mazda MPV brochure it shows the bra (they call it a mask) as an accessory that you can get from Mazda. Have you tried contacting the dealership?

It's funny that you said you didn't need the GFX package. I agree that it wasn't like the most necessary thing in the world but.......now that I have it, I really like the way it makes my van look. I also didn't need the dual auto sliders but I love the feature. :o ) I figured since my husband says I have to drive my MPV until my youngest starts college (10 years) then I best get some of the bells and whistles. Of course in 10 years, these bells and whistles will be more like items that came from the dark ages! LOL!

Good Luck!
    one thing i agree with isinc....the sliding doors are awesome esp the fact that we live on a steep slope......the auto sliding door adjusts awesomely even though van is parked on the slope....

i honestly think this is a very useful feature...though i thought i did not need it either
  • scott31scott31 Member Posts: 292
    Not sure if things changed when they went to 3 years at 0%, but when we got our LX in Feb, it was 0% for 4 years, and I didn't put anything down, not even taxes.
    MPV incentives have been continued thru 5/30/03
  • steveeaststeveeast Member Posts: 158
    Thanks for posting the info about your sailboat. One of my concerns about buying an MPV has been how well it will cope with my fishing boat. The whole rig weighs about 1500lb inc trailer, batteries, fuel and stuff - 50% less than you have, so it sounds like it should be fine. Of course, the final proof is a wet, slippy ramp with the trailer wheels down in the muck. AWD would be a great option.

Steve (also in the TC).
  • momstruck1momstruck1 Member Posts: 206
    I WAS WONDERING HOW THE MPV WAS IN SIZE? WE DON'T LIKE THE NEW TOYOTA AND ARE REALLY INTERESTED IN THE HONDA. WE HAVE THREE KIDS AND NEED TO HAUL SOME STROLLERS AND LIKE TO TRAVEL IN OUR CAR. WE NEED ROOM TO HAVE THE KIDS NOT BE ON TOP OF EACH OTHER ANY INFORMATION IS HELPFUL. WE ARE ALSO INTERESTED IN HOW RELIABLE THE VAN IS . WE HAVE HEARD ONLY GOOD ABOUT THE HONDA SO I WAS WONDERING ABOUT THE MAZDA.
  • momstruck1momstruck1 Member Posts: 206
    Well, the Mazda is very deceiving. It's a small minivan with a big attitude! I have taken my 2 children and my sisters three kids (the oldest is 13 and 5'10" tall) so 7 people in the van, the youngest being 7. We had 2 laundry baskets filled with clothes and misc. items for the 3 kids to spend the week with us. We had a sleeping bag, 5 pillows, a few back packs (filled with toys of course) and other misc. items. We still had room for more stuff. The thing is, with the tumbleunder 3rd row seat, the well that it goes into is deep therefore giving you more cargo.

I'm not a Honda fan but it is a bigger minivan then the MPV with the same tumbleunder third fow seat. I think you need to go and investigate the MPV and compare it to the Odyssey.

Personally, for the money difference (Honda being more expensive) I would go for the MPV. You'll get more for your money.

My 2 Cents.

Lsinc
  • katdj28katdj28 Member Posts: 2
    We currently own a 2001 MPV LX. We went to the dealer today to look at the 2003 and negotiated a price of $21,882 for an LX, coastal blue, with roof rack, rear A/C, wheel locks, rear bumper step plate, 6 CD changer, fog lights, automatic doors and rear mirror with temp/compass. Of course, we got the price on the 2003 before we told them we wanted to trade in our 2001. The manager told us the deal on the 2003 was no longer valid since he didn't want to do a trade-in. Questions--Was this a good deal on the 2003? Why wouldn't a dealer want a trade-in, especially one that's in outstanding shape with 32,000 miles. He didn't even look at our 2001. Is there a glut of used MPVs?

Second issue: Edmunds says there is an All-Sport package (1SG) but it's not listed in the Mazda sales brochure and the dealer today told us that even though it's a valid package, they had never seen a 2003 with this package. They thought that maybe it was a regional deal. We live in Florida and are very interested in this package. Has anyone heard of this package or seen it on a 2003?
    Sounds kind of strange to me that a dealer would refuse any trade in. The price seems good though on the '03 with those options.

The only time I have seen the All Sport is on the older models (previous body style) that had the 4 wheel drive. I was reading somewhere (can't remember) that there is a 4 wheel drive MPV available in Japan? It hasn't hit the US. I could be wrong on it as I heard it a while ago. Maybe someone else knows?

I also would think All Sport would mean 4 wheel or AWD. If not, could it mean the LS Model which would have the 17" wheels, leather seats, traction control and every other bell and whistle?

Sorry I'm not more of a help.

Lsinc
    sell it a private party thru autotrader.com & buy a 2003
  • javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    I'd be finding another dealer. There are many tactics on how you negotiate a deal, and one is to not mention the trade-in until you've settled on the purchase price of the vehicle... then pop the 'oh, I have a trade-in' statement on them. Is this what you did? Some dealers may tell you to hit the bricks. In that case, imho, you don't want their MPV anyway.

BTW, the All-Sport package (Option Code 1SG) is available for 2003 LX-trimmed MPVs, and consists of alot of items that folks may want on their LXs w/o having to pay for leather (that's my take). Includes: 17" rims, SuperSound 9speaker/180watt stereo, CD changer, foglamps, leather-wrapped steering wheel, GFX, rear spoiler, auto-dimming rv-mirror (w/compass and temp gauge). All-Sport invoices for $684 w/an MSRP price of $795. TMV is $$697. Also, requires Rear AC (AC8) and TCS/Side airbags (AB7). So, yes.. it basically gives you a decked out LX for about $700, sans power doors (available) and leather.
    might as well buy an ES then, with all these to me is an ES ?
    You would know the answer to this. kevria posted a message earlier stating that Mazda is offering another financing option, 3.9% for 49-60 months. I talked to my salesman, and he said he didn't know anything about it. Also, if Mazda is actually offering this financing option, can it be used with the dealer cash back? I know the 0% option can't.
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    http://www.autosite.com/new/grabbag/rebatet.asp shows that finance rate, but the end date was 4/30. It does say to check with your dealer to see if it was extended.

-Brian
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Is just to say you'll buy the new one but first you need to sell your existing car to get enough cash for the down payment or whatever. Then the dealer can decide to make an offer or tell you "good luck on retail road."

Steve, Host
    My salesman just emailed me back and said these are all the current incentives avaiable for the MPV.

$2000 dealer cash back

or

0% financing for 36 months

or

$500 cash back and 2.9% for 37-48 months

or

$500 cash back and 3.9% for 49-60 months.

I'm gonna have to go with the $2K cash back and my own financing through our credit union. I need to keep our payments under $400 a month, and none of the other options will do that. I wish I could afford to do the 0% financing, but that would make our payments over $600 a month. Ouch! It sure would be nice to completely own the vehicle in just 3 years though.
    $2,000 cash back and 4.9% thru Sovereign Bank (which was done through our Mazda dealer) for 60 months.
    ......go out to 72 months at 4.9%?
    The All Sport Pkg is VERY new. It will take a while for vans to be built with it.

The only problem with it, is that you CAN'T get the Power Doors with it, and we had to have the power doors.
  • rutger3rutger3 Member Posts: 361
    IMO, it is a disgrace for any Mazda dealer to not want to take a Mazda on a trade. Do not use this dealer under any circumstances and tell your friends to stay away from them too. Any dealer willing to sell you a new Mazda but not take your trade should not be a Mazda dealer or any kind of a dealer. This is bad news for other dealers because you may now reconsider whether to even buy a new MPV. Cliffy can probably shed some light on this.
  • velokidvelokid Member Posts: 4
    We just took delivery on a midnight blue 03 MPV LX with 4 seasons, traction control, rear ac and the all sport package. IMHO the all sport package is a great deal when you consider the price of those options separately - not including the 17" wheels/tires - is nearly double the cost of the package. Nothing on the all sport package is truly necessary, but it certainly makes the MPV look even sharper, and the 9 speaker sound system is quite nice.

It may be hard to find though, as it was released as an option midyear and is only available in 3 or 4 colors.
    There is more to this story....If the dealer isnt interested in the trade, especially a mazda trade, something is wrong.

Did the customer want some outlandish amount for the trade and the dealer then told the customer to keep the trade??? This is a scenerio that happens a few times a month at most dealerships.

Rutger....remember dealers take trades to make money and as a courtesy. There is nothing that says a dealer is required to take a trade...remember there is two sides to every story and your have jumped to huge one sided conslusions without knowing the "real reason" for not taking the guys trade.
    This past Saturday, we drove the NY City to help my sister in law move. First, I have to share that it was so easy to remove the second row seats from our MPV. They aren't very heavy and come out easily. Second, the tumble under seat is great. We had the van ready to go in under 5 minutes. We had a round table, all 6 table chairs, an old desk (approx. 5 x 3 x 4) another chair all packed in the back of the MPV. We had room for even more! I couldn't believe how much cargo room is in the MPV. Our Villager you could only remove the second row bench seat and fold the third row bench like a sandwich and move it all the way forward. It still took up a good foot of cargo.

I was extremely impressed!
  • acedriveracedriver Member Posts: 131
    A 60" x 40" table will fit in a 2003 Sienna with only a couple of inches on either side of it. Isinc, could you measure the inside dimensions on the MPV and let me know how a 60"x40" box will fit ? How many inches to spare on the sides ?

Just wanted to determine if there was any truth in the frequently heard statement that "Oh! The MPV is so small" !! Your post certainly makes a strong statement about cargo capacity. Any chance you took some snaps for show-off purposes ? :-)
  • bill124bill124 Member Posts: 246
    Considering trading '00 for new '03. Anything I should know in advance? Also, I live on Long Island, in NY and am interested in experiences and prices. I bought from Great Neck Mazda and have had service there and I don't think their service dept. is the best or even all that nice to deal with.
    no, didn't take any pictures. LOL! :) I'm not sure of the dimensions of the table. It's a round Hitchcock table and it's pretty old. We removed the legs on it and laid the table down on it's top and there was enough room to slide the desk on the right side of it. The chairs we placed in were large. You know, the fancy ones with the covered seats. We got six in there with the table and the desk and all of the legs. There was also a smaller Hitchcock chair that we had as well. We still had room for boxes and such. Oh and my husband has determined that he can fit a sheet of plywood in the MPV. If you just fold the backs down on the second row seats and tumble under the third row, the height of the seats folded is enough to allow you to slide the plywood in at the hatch's widest point. The length is no issue. We always had to tie down the tailgate in the Villager because of that lost space the folded, pushed forward seat took up. The MPV you can slide the plywood all the way up to the back of the front seats.

I will measure it for you though and post my results later. I was very impressed with how much this so called "small" van held and how easy it was to take the seats out and hide away the third row. It also handled great in New York City traffic. I didn't handle it well but the car did! LOL! The MPV is an awesome van.

Lsinc
    1. go to www.fitzmall.com at DC/Maryland area for fixed price deal...usually 4,000 below MSRP

2. Noticed that Mazda 03 have 4 yr/50k miles warranty, which is sweet !
    did you all notice that all 2003 Mazdas offer this ?
    Yes, all 2003 Mazda's have a 4/50 warranty. Another reason NOT to buy an Odyssey
    & no need to buy extended warranty either....

i wish i waited for 03 MPV....i bought an 02
    The 3.9% financing deal was specific for the NorthEast but it might be valid in other parts of the country. I had been trying to verify whether there was a $2000 customer cashback in the NorthEast and there wasn't in April.
  • rutger3rutger3 Member Posts: 361
    to sweet subie: I wish I waited for 02 MPV, I bought an 01 with that 'super' 2.5 liter engine.