Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• bft5j7lbft5j7l Member Posts: 2
    Otish - thank you very much, exactly the help I was needing.
  • bill124bill124 Member Posts: 246
    I received bumper recall notice in mail yesterday. Bought van 2/00 van made 8/99. Haven't contacted dealer.
  • sentrafansentrafan Member Posts: 40
    Hello all,

Just leased a Silver 2000 LX last night, with the Security Package, 4-Seasons Package, roof rack, 3-in-1 stereo, and fog lights. It's actually the wife's vehicle, but I must say I'm pretty excited about it. No other minivan got my blood racing until I laid eyes on this MPV last night. I didn't think any manufacturer could make a styling statement with a minivan, but somehow Mazda did it. Looking forward to many enjoyable and trouble-free motoring miles. Thanks to all who contribute on this forum.
  • kranjec1kranjec1 Member Posts: 20
    As I have posted before, my mpv gets roughly 14-15 mpg in Tampa city driving. Had dealer perform "fuel consumption analysis" (their terminology).That is basically fill tank to the max, drive, fill tank to max again, record miles driven and divide by gallons of gas consumed. Qite simply,this is the way I've been recording mpg for 3 months. I reminded dealer to drive in city, some highway if they wanted, with air on. They recorded 22mpg, about 8 more mpg than I get. I drove van myself to work for a few days (wife's van) on cool Tampa days, no a/c on, on mostly highway as I work in Clearwater. Recorded 16.7 mpg. Anyone have an idea how dealer got 22mpg? Maybe I should start buying gas at the dealership because it appears they have some special brew in their tank.
  • evaddaveevaddave Member Posts: 156
    Are you certain they actually drove it around? It seems to me that it would be more "efficient" for them to prop up the front end with the tires off the ground and put a brick on the gas pedal. That way they don't have to pay a technician to drive around for hours.
  • evaddaveevaddave Member Posts: 156
    My title got changed. On post 543, the title was supposed to be "fuel consumption analysis"

Let's see if it happens to this one, too....
    evaddave-good suggestion, I'm kind of disappointed that the dealer once again destroys one's confidence in them. They could of at least made up a more reasonable number like 18 or 19 mpg. 22mpg! My mpv couldn't get 22 if I coasted it in neutral from the top of Pike's Peak. Anyways, next time I take it in, I'm going to go with them for the "fuel consumption analysis" Other than that, van is great!
  • kkcymrukkcymru Member Posts: 48
    kranjec1 - You don't mention how many miles the dealer put on the car. If the dealer only used a couple of gallons of gas, measurement error could account for the difference. "Fill the tank up to the max" is not a precise measurement, especially if two different persons are filling the tank or filled at two different stations. Some people stop filling the first time the pump clicks off. I usually keep going till the second or third click-off - or till I get to a nice round number if I'm paying cash. I know others that watch and stop when they see the gas at a certain level in the filler tube (something I've never been able to do very well with my cars). On my car, there can be gallon of difference between when the pump first stops and I'm finished fueling, and I've had rental cars with greater difference. I'v also noticed some pumps seem more sensitive and shut off sooner, sometimes when the tank is not even close to full. Over the course of a few tanks, the difference will be insignificant in the calculation, but if they only used, say, five gallons and had an error of close to a gallon, recording only four gallons, that could account for most of the difference. If they drove less than fifty miles, even a much smaller error could account for the difference.

Other possibilities that could have contributed are round-off error (recording 2.4 gallons as 2 gallons, or even 2.8 gallons as 2 gallons), misrecording the mileage, or math errors.

Or, maybe they just lied.
  • javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    Sorry, so sorry to bring this topic up once again. Today, Mrs. Javadoc says, "Is there a center console we can buy that works well in the MPV?" I remember one, like a Clutter Catcher, or something that lots of posters have. Anyone point me to the website? Is it rosen's site?

Thanks!!!

--javadoc
  • dbs2001dbs2001 Member Posts: 46
    Do a search in topic 1179 for Walmart. The one recommended by some posters is Model 542 at Walmart. Some say it's great; others complain that it doesn't quite fit & interferes. Good luck!
  • gagpgagp Member Posts: 32
    My 2 cents:

Although this accessory is of great help when you need plenty of storage, I decided not to get one because I felt that one of the greatest thing you get when owning of a minivan, is the ability to «move around» from front to middle seats quite easily.

Assuming most of you having at least one of those «almost always asking for something» things called kids, you get the picture !

Again, just my two cents...

Silver Driver
    ... when OWNING a minivan ...
  • bvictorbvictor Member Posts: 4
    We now have 15,000+ miles on the 2000 LX, no problems except the defective Dunlop tire.

I just leased a 2001 Chrysler 300M, my wife has the MPV, this car is magnificent so I've been in that forum as well.

bvictor
  • kosinskikosinski Member Posts: 6
    The last week of September, we purchased a MPV. With two children and a third on the way, the 92 Accord was just not large enough. While the extra room in the Odyssey/Windstar/Chrysler would have been nice, parking would be a pain and the MPV appeared to have more than sufficient room for a family of five.

The options are as follows:

Rainforest Green LX
    Dual Air Conditioning
    4-Seasons Package
    2LX Touring Package

Our purchase price was one dollar over invoice (I checked invoice pricing at this site and on the Kelly Blue Book site) with the special Mazda financing. At the time, I thought it was a good deal. Based upon the number of people who have written about purchases that were significantly under invoice, I now feel that I was remiss for not having found this site earlier. In hindsight, it did seem too easy to get to the "one dollar over invoice" pricing.

Over the years, we have had a number of Mazda's (323, two 626's) and have been pleased with each.

We chose the Mazda MPV over the other manufacturers for the following reasons:
    Honda - No movement from sticker and no special financing meant much larger payments. We preferred the Honda's smooth engine and transmission, but did not like it's more cumbersome feel and comparatively unattractive interior/exterior styling.
    Toyota - More expensive than the Honda with no financing help gave higher payments than the Odyssey. Otherwise, my wife and I gave the edge to the Sienna over the MPV. We felt it would be extremely reliable, superior engine/transmission. Regarding aesthetics, we found the MPV's interior much nicer, but preferred the Toyota's body styling. We decided it would be better to use the difference in first cost to purchase a Roth IRA.
    Nissan/Mercury - poor crash test results doomed this model early in our selection process. Otherwise, we know a number of people who have Villagers who all are extremely pleased.
    Ford - We know too many people who have had terrible luck with the Windstar after warranty period expired.
    Diammler Chrysler - Nice exterior styling (fair interior) and OK performance but we had no confidence in future reliability or resell
    Chevy - Poor crash test and I have never liked Chevy's.

A lot of people feel that the MPV's engine is undersized compared to the offerings of other manufacturer's. I agree, but I also feel that the MPV is more than sufficient for our intended use. The way I am looking at it, if Ford had let Mazda use a better engine, then it is likely that the MPV's would be selling much better. This would have meant much less discounting off invoice and probably no rebate or financing. For us, the advantages of better pricing offset the disadvantages of the 2.5L engine and transmission. I just hope that the Ford Duratec will hold up. We typically hold our cars for well over 100K miles.

Regarding mileage, we have use three full tanks in local driving and have averaged 18.1 MPG. This would not bother me if I could forget that the Toyota and Honda each have engine's that perform better and get better mileage.

Some questions that we have identified:
    1. Mud Flaps - I think I read that the Mazda flaps are too small to be useful. This is unfortunate, because when driving in the rain the noise of water being thrown up into the car is audible. Not to mention the dirt. Has anyone else experienced this noise? Has anyone tried aftermarket flaps?
    2. Floor Mats - the tan interior in this car is not going to stay clean. I can already tell that the backs of the front seats will become stained because of the kids shoes (leather would probably have been a good idea, but more $). I would like to find a good set of aftermarket mats that are customized for the MPV. I stopped at Pep Boys today and they only had generic mats. Has anyone found a good set of custom mats?

Thanks for the help.
  • brmudabrmuda Member Posts: 50
    I paid $65 (I think) for the factory mud flaps. I also read on this site that some folks think they're too small/inadequate. They're great. They are no smaller than those I have on my '98 Accord (also factory installed) or those that were on my 626. Mud flaps don't have to be BIG to do the job. Aftermarket ones look just that - like they weren't made for the vehicle they're on. My advice, have your local dealer install 4 of 'em - you'll be glad you did.

As for floormats, go to www.macneilauto.com. I have been buying these for my vehicles ever since I found them. These mats look good & are extremely functional. They are NOT cheap but well worth the $. Fantastic quality. They're avail in black, tan or grey. I purchased full set of grey ones & the color match is perfect. The rear mats require minor trimming (very easy) and have unique design (2 mats overlap in the center leaving no exposed carpet). I even purchased liner that fits perfectly in well area behind 3rd row seat. Good luck!!
  • jeremyl1jeremyl1 Member Posts: 8
    In just under 5 months I drove my 2000 MPV LX 8,369 miles (mixed city and highway) and got an overall average of 22.7 MPG. On the open road here in relatively flat Kentucky, I easily over 25
    MPG.

After 7 months with the MPV everyone in the family is still enjoying it.

I am getting ready to have the dealer do the bumper reinforcement recall work. It only took Mazda 7 months to "get the parts." Or is my dealer dragging its feet? Has anyone had this work done or know more about it? I'm surprised there hasn't been more discussion on this topic in this forum.
  • cinka1cinka1 Member Posts: 30
    Anybody check out the 2001 "Build your car" option? I knew there would be a catch to waiting for the 2001s - the packages now have mandatory combos. Now the options I want have to include twice as much (and twice as much $$)
    I am still waiting til April-June for the 3.0L but now I need to save up a few more bucks for the pretties!!
  • sandysuesandysue Member Posts: 4
    Jeremyl1,
    I had my bumper reinforcement done today. Can't tell really what they did, but it was painless...at least to me! They also reprogrammed the computer module (an earlier recall). I left my van and picked it up when they called me. It took a while, but I don't know how long they actually worked on my car or how many other cars were in there to be repaired.
    Wife called to make appointment today for bumper fix in Long Island, NY. Told earliest date was Nov. 6 as they only do 2 a day.

Sandy sue, just out of curiousity, when did you buy your van? I believe that the recall you are referring to was probably the first announced and was from last fall.
  • bigbang2001bigbang2001 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought 2000 MPV ES a week ago, with the color (Emerald green) my wife prefers, paid invoice with Mazda financing at Freeman dealership, Irving, TX. So far, my wife and I really love it. I want to say thanks for you guys in this forum to provide a lot of info.
  • stevecanuckstevecanuck Member Posts: 33
    That I bought a '98 Mystique as my "new" second vehicle.

It's really interesting having the same V6 Duratec in the relatively small sports sedan. It really flies.
  • bhigbhig Member Posts: 1
    I'm researching buying a new 2000 MPV LX. Any heads up out there? We're also considering a 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan SE w/ 14,000 miles or a '98 Caravan Sport w/ lots of option but 35,000 miles. I pretty much have my mind made up, but am looking for any advise.

thanks
    Bill, I bought my van in January, 2000. I had not received a notice about the reprogramming but did receive my bumper recall notice last Friday (13th). I was surprised when I picked up the van that they had done both.

bhig:
    If you read the messages on this board and Cruisers, you'll see we all love our MPV's. Since you're considering a Caravan, though, let me tell you my experience. I had a '98 Caravan...thought I would have it for years. No problems at all. Then I saw my friend's MPV and it was love at first sight. When I saw her lower the "magic seat" and remembered my third seat which weighs 100 pounds and had sat in my garage for two years, I bit the bullet and traded. Here's the "OUCH" factor on the Caravan. I paid $19000 for it new (not many options). The trade-in value in exactly two years was $10,500!!!!!!
    Can't say what the trade-in value will be on the MPV, but I can't think it could be any worse!
  • skr1skr1 Member Posts: 1
    This is my first time in the Town Hall. I have been searching for a minivan for the last 4 months. I have finally decided, through heavy reliance on this website and the Town Hall, on the Mazda MPV ES. I happen to love this van (as much as you can love a minivan..) My company allows me to purchase this vehicle via the Ford X-Plan. I was given a price of basically invoice less the $1,000 rebate ($24,500), which I am happy with. However, I have been considering leasing this vehicle and was somewhat shocked with the lease payment I was offered today at the dealership. I was planning on putting down the first payment and security deposit. My salesperson came back with a figure of $475 for a 3year/36k mile lease!! He told me that leases aren't like they used to be and Mazda doesn't even lease, they use a local bank. If I bought the vehicle and financed it with a low internet rate, I would be paying almost the same! Can this be right? I checked the Edmunds lease calculator and came up about a $360 payment. After some thought, I think I'm going to buy vs, lease anyway, but would like to know if the dealership is shooting straight with me. Any advice?
  • mazdampv2000lxmazdampv2000lx Member Posts: 1
    Hello to all the 2000 MPV owners. Just purchased a
    new 2000 MPV LX security package, 4 seasons package, foglights, roof rack, 3in 1 audio casette,cd radio, and rear air on 1 oct 00 all
    factory options when we bought it fm Cush Mazda
    in Escondido CA. Had 7 miles on the odometer and
    so far only 211 miles since it stays in the garage
    most of the time. The MPV is flawless since we get
    stares fm Nissan Quest owners and Toyota Sienna owners. We love this van, especially since Honda doesn't make enough odysseys to even test drive
    one even here in San Diego, and forget about paying 3000 to 4000 over MSRP just for an odyssey!! To test drive one you have to put $500 to reserve one and forget about negotiations! The only problem I noticed since reading all the mpv problems was the burning smell when we drove it back in the garage and turning the ac on, but was assured by the friendly staff of Cush Mazda during the New Car Seminar (Glad We Went!) that
    the smell is the special coatings applied to Mazdas before shipping to prevent corrosion. It may cause a temporary burning smell during the first few hundred miles of operation and eventually burn off. In the deal, received the
    rear bumper step plate, and even had Cush Mazda
    throw in the beige dash cover at no cost!!
    Only mazda accessory that I had put on myself was
    the Mazda mud guards for $66 tax included. My wife
    and I would like to thank Edmunds.com for the appreciated help in helping us to get the best deal on the 2000 Mazda MPV with your true market
    value information! Wished we had the Rainforest
    Green Mica but was so hard to find especially in
    the San Diego CA area, but instead chose the
    Sand Mica color.
    Good Luck in Dealing!
    Another satisfied 2000 MPV Owner
  • alsteralster Member Posts: 2
    Can't say which is better. I have always been a purchase type because I plan to keep my cars a while. However, if you plan to purchase, you may want to consider looking at the Fighting Chance web site. I was able to get my MPV ES w/ moon roof, 6 disc, and 4 seasons at $1,468 below invoice (including the $1,000 rebate)

They have a fax strategy which worked for me.

Good luck with the decision
  • badgermommabadgermomma Member Posts: 23
    Does anyone have experience with this. We are planning to get and MPV ES sometime this winter. Ideally we want red with out any extras except the 4 seasons package, will accept fog lights, but not necessary. If the dealer doesn't have one, and can't find one, has anyone ordered. Do the dealers still typically deal (considering the holdback is pure profit they better). It seems like every ES I have seen on the lots is loaded up with all kinds of extras like the moonroof, extra stereo stuff, entertainment pkg, that sort of stuff that I just don't need or want to pay for.

I was intending to offer the suggested price off of Edmunds here and allow a small amount of adjustment, I don't want to squabble over hairs, but of course I want the best price possible.

Input?
  • stevecanuckstevecanuck Member Posts: 33
    You should be looking at the LX or DX series. The ES is always tricked out with leather, moon roof, etc.
    Sorry for the mistake but I meant when was your van manufactured? Look inside the driver's side door. My understanding was that the work you had done only needed to be done on vans made pre-Aug. 1999 and that it was to be done by the dealer before the van left the lot.
    Bill, my van was made in July, 1999, but not purchased until late Jan. 2000. I tried to find the earlier posts about this recall but I couldn't find them (to check on the date). The first two recalls were concerning vans made in Mar. (manifold) and July of '99 (door locks), but my van didn't have those two problems. Reprogramming the computer module is campaign #86003. I don't remember hearing about it until after I had purchased my van and I started reading these boards in November, '99. But I'm not really sure of the date.
    I'm ignorant on this one. Can anyone tell me why the computer module needed reprogramming? Were MPV's engines doing something funky or what?
  • whitetwhitet Member Posts: 4
    We just purchased a 2000 MPV ES and noticed the power supply (cigarette lighter) does not work unless you have the keys in the ignition. Does anybody know if there is a quick fix to get continuos power??? We are using to charge our cell phone....

Thanks
  • tiredoflookingtiredoflooking Member Posts: 1
    I am in louisiana and dealers are not give the MPV away like $1 above invoice. Where and who an I contact for deals like this? I want to buy an MVP this week before they run out. The dealer here is offering $200 above invoice but wont let me have the finance rate. The bank is charging 8%. Thanks for your help.
  • alsteralster Member Posts: 2
    If you can get your own money (bank loan), you can bargain and get your MPV below invoice. If you would like, I can give you some additional information. Good Luck
    I now remember the reprogamming notice. It only dealt with getting it through an inspection. Sorry for the confusion. I was thinking about the manifold recall which you note was not applicable to your van.
  • wcracoviawcracovia Member Posts: 1
    I called Mazda, and they said the 3.0 will come out with the 2002 line. They also changed some of the interior colors. Black exterior/tan interior, same with the red.
    Good. I am glad. Serves all of you naysayers right. Push the price for 2001 up and then up again in 2002. The only problem with the 2000 MPV is that it needs better press. Notice I said "better press", not a "better/bigger engine". The test drivers for the various automobile magazines really hurt this van. If they had the time to get used to the van, they would have a different impression. That's not to say that they are wrong -- they have their opinion. But driving a car every day isn't what they are about. I really can't think of anyone that is an owner that says power is as much of a problem as the press suggest, or, for that matter, a problem at all.
  • xz1xz1 Member Posts: 1
    I was told that Mazda MPV engine is actually a Ford Engine. Is that right? How do you guys feel about the engine? Having been stranded by Ford cars before, I am a little worried about the ford engine.
    Hey Modiecast - can you give us any more definite insider info on this engine question. I feel like a yo-yo with my decision to wait. Is your friend sticking with 2nd quarter of 2001 (April-June). The customer service says 2002 - Septemberish. Is there any way we can verify what your friend is saying? I understand the customer service only tells you what they are told to tell you and if the 2nd quarter rumor is true and becomes common knowledge, then the 1st quarter sales will suffer. I know that it is only a matter of 4-5 month difference. I guess I just answered my real question - I'm still gonna wait. But, man is it hard to wait. I have never been known to do well with waiting... I sure hope that saying "good things come to those who wait" it true.
  • badgermommabadgermomma Member Posts: 23
    I want the ES for a number of different reasons, one of the biggies is side impact airbags and I do want the leather seats, I just don't want a moon roof and luggage rack (we own a good one already) and stuff like that. I was hoping for insite into ordering a vehicle--not recommendations about which vehicle to buy. Not meant to sound "that way".

So again my question is does anyone have experience ordering? I guess I will post the q on the cruisers board too.

Jane
  • kkcymrukkcymru Member Posts: 48
    So now it's the fault of the automotive press that the Mazda engine has a bad reputation. Do they other minivan manufacturers get reviews from a different press? Reviewers who have no problems with the engines in most other sedans and minivans have commented on the lack of power and lack of "refinement" in the MPV engine. Despite some of the nonsense on this forum, no one is expecting the Mazda MPV to be a hot rod or a sports car. Many would like it to perform as well as a mediocre family sedan, and it doesn't, either in acceleration or fuel efficiency.
    So the owners you know of don't think the power is as much of a problem as the press says. Well no kidding. Talk about unrepresentative samples. The owners are by definition those people who didn't think the power is acceptable, or they wouldn't have bought it. That still leaves a lot of people, many who have commented on this or related forums, who have postponed buying or have bought another vehicle because they didn't like the MPV engine.
    Rather than being mad at these "naysayers" and the evil press, you should be thanking them. They have apparently done enough damage to the MPVs reputation that demand has been reduced to the point that people can buy them for under invoice, instead of at or above list like the Honda. The real losers in this are Mazda and its dealers who has lost out in potential profits of thousands per vehicle because the company decided to save a few hundred dollars per vehicle on the engine.
    The owners of the MPV are absolutely a reliable sample. They are the people who drive the van every day. I submit that in terms of whether the power is adequate, they are the only ones who are able to accurately so state. Sufficient power to "pass" a reviewer's test is not what is relevant. Sufficient power for everyday driving is. If virtually all of the everyday drivers say it has sufficient power, who are you to say it doesn't, unless you own one and drive it everyday? Not having more power is not a problem just like not earning a few million a year is not a problem. We do quite well with what we have and are happy with it. You want more but have to wait.
  • hellboyhellboy Member Posts: 2
    The engine in the MPV does not have a bad "rep". The comment about the motor is that it should have been a 3.0 or larger. Well that is something to take into account when purchasing a "minivan" a larger engine is always available in a winstar or caravan. If the engine size is your main criteria, then by all means buy a winstar. As for me I choose the MPV for the obvious reason, which is apparant to anyone that has driven one. As for my 2.5 DOHC 24 valve engine, it has no problem moving, merging and breaking the speed limit every day. And none of the passengers complain that we are running late because the engine is not large enough. The only people that seem to be upset about the size of the engine are men who were forced to buy a "minivan" instead of a big truck, or reviewers that think all products should have the same hp under the hood. You must realize the reviewers also never mention the Head gasket or transmission epidemic of those other minivans. I personally dont mind if my "minivan" takes 2 more seconds to hit 60mph,when the ride is smooth as silk, but thats just me.
    MPV sales, in 2000, have gone up by 321 % compared to 1999, despite the "bad press" regarding its engine...

Silver (Yeah, I know it's not a hot rod but was it meant to be ?) Driver
  • brmudabrmuda Member Posts: 50
    Check the "cruisers board" for my orig reply on ordering an ES w/specific options (no roof or rack).
    Wow, we are not defensive around here, are we. I don't think the engine is 'bad'. It is one of the best, but I think the minivan has a little too much weight for this motor to perform like it was intended. I am the owner of a Windstar. I have been driving it for years and have enjoyed it's power. I am not a hot-rodder - I am a mother of three teenagers and five big white dogs! I don't want a powerful truck, I'm not mad at having to buy a minivan, I can hardly wait. What I do know is, after test driving several MPV's, it will be worth the wait to have an engine that will not have to work so hard and I don't think the mileage can get much worse. I LOVE the MPV - I will enjoy it like all of you, I will be happier, though, if I wait. So don't get defensive, reality is the MPV is not quite perfect, but it will get there very soon. And if the engine improvement isn't worth it, I can always buy the used 2000 from the "man that wanted the truck" so he bought the 2002. See - I win either way :)
  • dnamarteldnamartel Member Posts: 16
    An MPV was not manufactured in 1999, per Edmunds. Any sales are carry overs from 1998 inventory put into service in 1999 and are irrelevant as a comparison to anything....

The 2000 sales of the MPV are low. So it will be in 2001 and the bargains will probably continue, including into 2002. Why? Mazda needs to gain badly needed market share.
    IMHO
    Reality check. I bought a recent model used Quest van 4 wks ago because of precise reasons (after extensive test drive) posted by kkcymru. I will probably buy an MPV when the engine situation is addressed to my satisfaction. Current MPV buyers benefit from this decision, (you're welcome.) Yes, I'd rather had the fold away rear, better handling and looks, however, those considerations lost out to ~$9,000 saved postponing buying an MPV.
    In all seriousness, what is an "extensive test drive" and what year Quest did you buy?
  • dnamarteldnamartel Member Posts: 16
    and knock ~$500 off of that price due to some other factors.

The test drive at Putnam Mazda in Burlingame, CA will pale in contrast to your rich insight as a happy, satisfied owner and defender of the engine. I not going to engage in that, I lose.

Regarding my purchase, it was a reasonable compromise, IMHO. This isn't the comparison site and I've tried to keep comments re same to a minimum.
    This info is based on sales from YEAR 1999 (of course I know there were no 1999 MPVs)...

Silver (I guess everybody else understood that, IMHO) Driver