Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• lazyfoxlazyfox Member Posts: 90
    OK, here is the animation I've made to compare the 02-03 vs. 04 model.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-10/416151/MPV_03_vs_04_s.gif

Here are stearing wheels for
    04MPV / RX-8
    MZ6 / MZ3

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-4/167987/04_MPV_wheel.jpg
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Mazda Mania Chat
    Tuesday nights - 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET.
  • wheelz4wheelz4 Member Posts: 569
    Checked out the Consumer Guide 2004 MPV pic....
    my faith has been restored! It looks nothing like the Frankfurt show pics.....if you could morph the headlights and body-coloured grill from the new Mazda3 GT version onto the front of the MPV, you'd have a pretty good idea what it looks like.
    Quite "zoomy", in fact. I hope that's the look on all levels of trim and not just the ES. If nothing slightly smaller and more fuel-efficient comes along in the next few years (to seat 4-5 comfortably + a couple of kids in a pinch), then it looks like the MPV is the one for us.
    (BTW......checked the Consumerguide.com website and the 2004 pic is not available....have to check out the mag in person).
  • javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    That means I have to work late... drats. ;-)

Sylvia, we all thank you!

Re: the 2004, if you want some pictures, I will post them for you. I do believe that the body and front end is the same for all market regions, be they EU, NA or JDM.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    The good news is that the $2500 rebate on '03s was confirmed by today's newspaper ads. The bad news is I can't take advantage of it. The leasing company on my '99 GCS sent me letters telling me they'd give me a great deal for early termination of my lease. So I called them and found out what they meant by "great deal": great for them, not for me. $13,000 for a van with a trade-in value of just over $8000 and only $2000 in payments due. So looks like I'll need to keep it until May, toss them the keys and tell them to have fun selling it at auction.
  • artdechoartdecho Member Posts: 337
    I'd like to see those 2004 pics too.
  • lsinclsinc Member Posts: 270
    I posted the following question in the towing with a minivan board but got no response. I am going to give it a try in here. Hope it's ok. Also, in addition the the post, I was told that we can tow up to 4,500 lbs. I realize that this is not correct but what scares me is that the RV dealer had a book with all of the vehicles and total weights they could pull. I'm wondering if anyone knows where they may have gotten such info.?

We are considering buying a pop up camper and towing it with our '03 MPV. The owners manual states that with towing packing we can tow up to 3000 lbs. We do have the tow package and are planning on having the dealership install the hitch and wiring.

Can anyone who has been towing a camper with their MPV let me know their experiences.

Thanks!

Leslie

P.S. We are looking at the Coleman Popups probably a 10 ft. to 12 ft. box.
  • lumbarlumbar Member Posts: 421
    I have never towed with an MPV, but have some knowledge/experience with vehicles with low tow ratings.

First, here's a PDF of a towing weight guide for '03.

http://www.trailmanor.com/Camping-Towing/03towingguide.pdf

My thought would not be to go much over 2000 lbs with an MPV, although I'm aware of people who do push the envelope on tow weights and do so successfully. You'll need electric brakes on the pop up, and these are available or standard on most in that weight range. By the time you've loaded the pop up with stuff, you'll be close to the 75-80% of tow weight many use as a rule of thumb for safe operation.

BTW, if you're buying new, there are no more Coleman pop-ups. They had a falling out with Fleetwood, who makes them, and those pop ups are now branded as Fleetwood. If you are buying used, there have been some significant problems with the roofs on certain Colemans. You might want to check out Starcraft, which has a few models in the 2000 lb and under range.
  • bsvollerbsvoller Member Posts: 528
    I posted a lengthly report just after labor day in this discussion - post # 6428.

The older version of the MPV (pre-2000) had higher tow capacity in some trim levels than the revised design (2000+ model year). I suspect that's where your dealer got his info mixed up.

The problems with the roofs on the Colemans were limited to a few models with the molded plastic roofs, and are covered by warranty (lifetime if I'm not mistaken). They are now being built across the line with aluminum roofs.

Starcraft is also a good make, and you won't go wrong with either. Personally, I think the Coleman/ Fleetwood campers are among the very best mechanically, although there are others with more updated floorplans.

Hope this helps,

-brianV
    I wonder where Consumer's Digest got their pic of the 2004 MPV.......I sure can't find any on the net in any searches.
    AutoWorld does a minivan roundup/comparo in their latest issue....new Quest #1 with the kids, new Sienna #1 with the adults....Odyssey a distant 3rd. MPV was lumped in with the rest in no particular order which included Chrysler, the new
    Freestar/Montery, Venture and Sedona. The adults picked the MPV as the best to drive and the kids didn't even consider the MPV a minivan (which is good, I guess, in a way)
  • beany1beany1 Member Posts: 2
    My 2002 Mazda MPV makes a loud clicking noise when I first brake after parked for a while. It does not do this while riding or stopping during ride. Just at first movment.Backing out of driveway brake CLICK then straighten wheel and brake CLICK again then not again until next timer.
    Any one else have this problem or suggestions.
    the 2004 MPV...

Apologies if it hoses you dialup-folks.

• pb17pb17 Member Posts: 33
    Are rear disc brakes available on any of the MPV vans? How about Homelink garage door openers?
    Yes...rear disks

...No...Homelink has not been mentioned in any literature or MazdaCorp leaks.
    Dealers cannot confirm any of the 2004's MPV features. Where did you get your information about rear disc brakes? All the 2003's I've seen have rear drums.
    You can get aftermarket self dimming mirror with integrated homelink or do this. image
    It is official as of tomorrow (Japan has today already)

[quote]The VS, Aeroremix and Sports grades are equipped with 15-inch ventilated disc brakes on both front and rear wheels to deliver top class braking performance. The suspension has also been improved to complement the enhanced braking ability.[/quote]

'Mazda MPV' Receives Stylish Upgrade

- Exterior and interior enhancements, improved handling, comfort, and emissions performance -
    http://www.media.mazda.com/news_release/product_info/2003/1007_e.- html

RE: Homelink. I had a long conversation this afternoon with a good friend, one 'in the know,' so to speak <w>. From the conversation, we determined this: basically, the Mazda6 has homelink built into the rear view mirror, as does the Tribute... so we were guessing that it's going to be an option for the 2004 MPV as well, but that's only a guess.

pb17, the information that I have is gleaned from a variety of sources, a great number of those are from Mazda employees, as well as over very informed MPV owners (some frequent TH, but I won't embarrass them).

The 2004 MPV Spec sheets have been out actually for quite a few months (since June actually), and a dealer should have known this. In fact, the dealerships should have been emailed the spec sheets. If you click on the MPV link at mazdausa.com, you'll see in the lower right-hand area a link to the 2004 pricing, if that helps you out any. The 2004 brochures aren't in print yet, or you could look at one of those... the brochures will be available in a couple of weeks. Unfortunately, I can't actually tell you where to find the specs, because Steve would have to delete my post almost immediately, followed by me receiving a requisite sternly written email... sorry, them's the rules here at the Cirle-E Ranch. Rest assured, the 2004 MPVs do have rear disk brakes.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I thought we decided that rear disks weren't really needed on a minivan. Did Mazda not get the memo?

Steve, Host
    If you read the whole news release, thei will have the discs in Japan only on the higher models, the G and B models will not have them if I understand following quote corectly.

[quote]The VS, Aeroremix and Sports grades are equipped with 15-inch ventilated disc brakes on both front and rear wheels to deliver top class braking performance. [/quote]
    Guess they have to keep up with the Sienna. Some of us don't think it's a feature, since rear drums are cheaper to maintain, and the front brakes do most of the work.

I guess I'll wait to see some stopping numbers before complaining too much though.

Steve, Host
    I think that's a misprint or something there, Foxy. A 15" disc would mean you'd need like a 19" rim. That, and the front's aren't anywhere near that size. Look at the Spec Deck that you've seen, ahem. The literature in your link does say they're using 15" discs though. Also, the Aero version isn't (at this time) available for the US market. Bummer.

Right, Steve... it's not really needed... but a marketing gimick. See how I played by the rules tho? ;)
    I owe you some KK's Java, and if I were in line, I could get some grand opening ones for you first thing in the am. People are camping out at the new store in Meridian. But I'm not :-)

Steve, Host
  • drosenedrosene Member Posts: 7
    I have owned two MPV's a 00 and a 03. When the balloon on the 00 was due I let the credit union have it and about $1000 depreciation. The new owner actually called me to ask what was wrong with it since it looked like new! I had decided that I liked it so much I would buy the 03 at 0% and get the bigger engine. You can see them side by side below. They were identical except dropped the sunroof and added elec doors.

Sadly a couple of weeks ago my wife (really) totaled the 03. It wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for bushes blocking the alley exit view but it was still our fault. I'm still waiting for Farmers to revise their first bid, tough for them because no used 03's for sale! You can view the damage below or scroll down fast if you can't stand to look. While you can't see it here the transmission housing was cracked, among other things. They are proposing $3300 in depreciation for 14,878 miles.

My dilemma now is buy or wait? I bought the first two in mid November, just after the new model's came out. Right now 03 inventory is very low and I can't find a duplicate, plus this time I will be buying "last year's model". The 04 sounds and looks great, but if I wait for the 04 it will be another 4 weeks in the rental car. I have driven the Quest and Sienna. Like Quest styling but not the 2nd row seat skirts or heavy 3rd row flipper. Sienna's not bad on the outside but the elec windows on the sliding doors and 40/60 3rd row flipper doesn't save the otherwise ugly interior.

This forum was responsible for my 00 purchase. Your thoughts on my present situation and recommendations would be most welcome.
    Thanks for the information on towing everyone. We use to have a Starcraft popup that we towed with our '96 Olds. Cutlass Supreme. It towed it very well and actually had a lower tow rating then my MPV.

The owners manual states the MPV can tow up to 3000 lbs. with tow package which we have. We are planning on staying within 200 lbs. of that. I like the Colemans/Fleetwoods but want to look at a few other makes. Palomino, Starcraft etc. One of the things I noticed about the Coleman/Fleetwoods is that they seem to be heavier then the others. The heaviest being Jayco. I like Jayco as our 5th Wheel is a Jayco Designer Series and it's fit and finish is really awesome. Oh well, I am rambling. Thanks again.

Leslie
    How did I miss that post? That's great info to have and just what I was looking for. We are planning an extensive trip next Summer so that's just what I needed.

Thanks again.

Leslie
    Your pic on the left is like the Frankfurt show version, and the one on the right is like the one in Consumer's Review or Digest (and the same as lazyfox's pic. I think I prefer the body-colour grill myself.
    ......although I wouldn't choose red personally.
    http://response.jp/issue/2003/1007/article54507_1.html
    click on the pics themselves for a larger version.
  • bill124bill124 Member Posts: 246
    I am looking at a new one. Bought 2000 from Great Neck Mazda (best price) but not exactly delighted with their service, which I needed a few times. Any suggestions? Also, is 2003 inventory really low? Is 2004 going to be very different from '03? I am hoping I have better luck and reliability with the new one. Wife hates engine/pickup on this one, but I tell her it's her.
    Thanks for the info on homelink and 2004 specs. I can tell you that the San Diego dealer I visited yesterday couldn't confirm any of the 2004 features. In fact,they're using 2003 brochures. The seats on the 2003 seem extra firm compared to the Chrysler van.
    Any info on rebates?
  • bsvollerbsvoller Member Posts: 528
    If you're planning on being within 200# of the MPV's weight limit, you won't have much left for cargo and passengers inside the van. If you run the numbers (check the owner's manual), you'll see that the 3000# limit only leaves about #250 for cargo and passengers before you hit the "gross combined weight" limit. This limit is the maximum weight of the van, trailer and cargo taken together.

So while you can tow a trailer that weighs 3000#, you basically have to do so with an empty van, by yourself. For real-world use, 2000-2500# is a more realistic range.

I can explain how this works in more detail if you like.

FWIW, "inflating" (strong word, maybe, but accurate in my opinion - what good is a tow capacity figure that ignores people and cargo ?) tow capacity numbers is common - almost all the vans I looked into suffered from the same thing, as do at least some SUV's.

One request I have for Mazda is to add at least 500# to the gross weight limit, without changing their tow capacity claim. And then publish 2 numbers, 1) maximum tow capacity as today, and 2) maximum tow capacity under full cargo load.

To be fair, Mazda is actually pretty clear in the owner's manual that the 3000# figure is for the trailer, people and cargo, if you read the text.

hth,

-brianV
    The 200 hp engine / 5 speed auto on the 2002 and later models should significantly improve pickup over the 2000 model. Check ou the 2004 pics and specs now appearing on this board & decide if you want the 2003 or wait for the 2004.
  • bill124bill124 Member Posts: 246
    I am looking at a new one. Bought 2000 from Great Neck Mazda (best price) but not exactly delighted with their service, which I needed a few times. Any suggestions? Also, is 2003 inventory really low? Is 2004 going to be very different from '03? I am hoping I have better luck and reliability with the new one. Wife hates engine/pickup on this one, but I tell her it's her.
    The word I got, on the low low <w> is that the version on the right is what we'll see, and different sources have alluded to (but not said outright) that all of them have GFX as standard equipment.
  • frankmanfrankman Member Posts: 13
    You can see a great deal of new pictures from Mazda Japanese website. Even a tv commercial. They do use some English on the site, so you can still get an idea.
  • lawleelawlee Member Posts: 11
    It looks like in 2004 the Japanese low-end MPV will come with the conversative honey cone grill front whereas the high-end with GFX models will have the aggressive body color bars.

If I extrapolate this to be the case in North America and judging purely on styling while everything else being equal, I'd say:

- If you want the low cost trims, buy a 2003 model before they run out.

- If you want the high end trims, it might be worth to wait for the 2004 model if pricing risk is not a sole stopper.
    Mazda Mania chat starts in ~3 hours. The link is in the left sidebar. You don't have to own a MPV to participate - all are welcome.

Steve, Host
    You didn't even tease me that today was 'aren't you glad you're an Alaskan day.' ;-)

So, regarding the chat, apparently I'm going to have to ghost into my home machine to bypass the office firewall for next time. They're weekly, no?
    Ok, congrats on the annual oil dividend check you and every other Alaskan gets today. Enjoy the $1,107.56. Maybe it'll go back up next year. On the other hand, it's 81 here and that's almost as high as your humidity today :-)

Yeah, the chat is going to be weekly. I have to turn off Zone Alarm for the java version to work here, so the firewall is probably your problem too.

btw, the missus went to KK this am and promised to save me one....

Steve, Host
  • beany1beany1 Member Posts: 2
    I can't find out what is causing this clicking sound under car when i first start braking. Does not do it after I have braked a few times.
    Any ideas out there?
    Is it just me or does anyone else find the seats a bit hard? Is Mazda aware of this? Any fixes?
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Give it a time. I thought myself that the seats are hard too, actually they are in fact firmer than other cars I think, but on long trip (almost 3k miles within a week or so)I found them to be very comfortable. Thought not everyone likes firm seats.
    You could always get an upholstery shop to swap some different density foam with the factory padding ... assuming no side air bags in the seats anyway. And while they have the hog rings apart, you could have some bun warmers installed too.

Steve, Host
    Thanks for the info. The 2500 lbs. is the GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) which includes total cargo. When I checked the MPV book it showed the total weight ability of the MPV including passengers. I'd have to get the book out to state what it is. By staying within GVWR range we buy ourselves a 500 lb cushion.

Now if I saw a camper that had a dry or unloaded weight of 2500 lbs. I would stay away. As it stands, the camper we are looking at has a dry weight of about 1800 lbs., a CCC (Cargo Carrying Capacity) of 610 lbs. These days, the campers come standard with electronic brakes. When we had our Starcraft, our towing vehicle did all of the braking.

Leslie
  • mjvchicagomjvchicago Member Posts: 149
    Hey all. I'm happy to say that I brought home a 2003 Sage Green LX with all the trimmings... even the power doors after much deliberation. Though I've mostly been reading this board, I've found everyone's insight useful and it all helped me make the final purchase... which was a breeze, by the way thanks to Mazda's incentives. Look for me to be a more active member now!
  • tomj5tomj5 Member Posts: 209
    Thanks,, good post on the tow info. That is way I read it....

BTW, I think we have found a second vehicle replacement. We really like the looks and specs on the Mazda 3 2L Hatchback (due in November??)
    This should make a good Urban vehicle...
    The 03 MPV stays in the barn and we seldom drive it(we pamper our PEEVEE). It is our summer traveling vehicle...

Tj
  • cw11cw11 Member Posts: 12
    drosene,
    Sorry to hear about the car accident, hope everyone was ok. My wife (really, no kidding!) also totaled her 03 white MPV a couple of weeks ago, it was bought in June 03 and we merely put 3500 miles on the odometer. We decided to buy another MPV right away since apparently its crash rating is excellent (my wife and daughter walked away unharmed). My quick research on the rebate of 03 and 04 models was as followed:

Model year:--------------------03----------------04
    Consumer cash rebate-------$2500-------------NA
    Dealer Cash----------------$500(10/1-10/31)--$1500
    College graduate rebate----$500--------------$500

In our case, we decided to go for the 03 model since we need a van immediately and there is no major change in the 04 model. Depreciation is not a main concern for us since we decided to keep the van for years to come (knock on wood, knock, knock, knock), besides, the cash incentive also plays some factor. We went to mazdausa.com website to do an inventory search around our area in New York area. We were basically looking for an all sports or GFX package and were able to find around 10 available MPVs within 100 miles distance. On Monday I e-mailed an offer of invoice less all cash rebates ($3500) to Orange Motors in Albany NY. The internet sales manager wrote back to me within a couple of hours and counter offered at invoice less $3000. Back in June we paid $2500 below invoice ($2000 dealer cash+ $500 college graduate) for our MPV so we were happy to take his offer, though I was quite sure with a bit more effort we could drive the price down further to earn the bragging right on this board:-)
    So here is the deal we got:
    Sale....................................................$23487.00
    Black LX with all sports, rear AC, SAB & Traction, rear bumper step plate, roof rack, wheel lock
    Sales Tax..@ 8.25%.................................$1937.68
    Motor Vehicle...............................................$30.00
    Total Before Rebates..............................$25,454.68
    Less Rebate & College Grad......................$3,000.00
    Total....................................................$22454.6- 8

We drove 80 miles to the dealer the next day with a bank check and left with a brand new 03 MPV and big smiles within 20 minutes. It was a very pleasant buying experience for us.

Hope the information helps. Good luck on your decision. We will post our pictures on this board later.