Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Impreza WRX

Comments

• gaspasser2gaspasser2 Posts: 44
    would that make a difference to your decision in buying this awesome car? Just curious.

gasspasser2
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Tough question. It would make me want to see some long-term reliability results before buying.

And I would not single out Mexico, really. I'm from Brazil and I'd be weary of buying a Mini because all the engines are made there. At least until they've proven reliable for a year or two.

Note that Foresters (built under the noses of HQ in Gunma, Japan) have a slight edge in reliability over Legacys and Outbacks (built in the US).

Toyota feels OK making their Camry here, they leave the assembly of their more premium ES300 to Japan.

-juice
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,788
    that Subarus aren't sold in Mexico. In fact they aren't sold at all anywhere in Central America either. In South America, only five countries sell them: Brazil, Chile, Argentina,
    Uruguay and Peru.

Bob
    They surely do sell Foresters in the Dominican Republic. Our pal Marzo owns one, and they even offer them as rentals.

Maybe it's an independent distributor, so Subaru doesn't track where they end up.

-juice
  • stankinstankin Posts: 1
    I have recently decided that the WRX will be the car I will purchase in the coming months. So, I wanted to get any opinions from WRX owners who have had them a while and what the thought of them at first, and now that they have had them a while. Secondly, has anyone purchased the optional Subaru performance exhaust to suspension package. If they have what are their opinions of them.

Thanks,
    K
    the countries I listed are the only only ones with corporate sites. So, maybe some independent is importing them, as you said.

This is from the FHI site:

http://www.fhi.co.jp/subaru/

Bob
    I knew you had some kind of source. :-)

-juice
    Go to the World Network link.

Bob
    Maybe there are others that just don't have web sites.

-juice
    but those are ones "officially" sanctioned by FHI.

Bob
    Germany, Japan, U.S.A. That's the order of my preference. Until Mexico, Korea, Pakistan, India, Thailand, Philippines, France, and the likes start making high quality precision tools, you'll never see me buy a car made from those countries. Actually, U.S.-made cars became suspect after my test drive with the Focus. I'm not sure though if the Focus is even made here in the U.S. Poor fit and really cheap plastic abound.

Is everyone comfortable about the "Big Three" taking over(or merging) with Range Rover, Volvo, Mercedes Benz etc.? I'm afraid the quality and uniqueness of those cars will drop. Anybody seen the new Jag? I don't kow about you folks but it certainly reminds me of our Taurus.

Does anybody know how much of Subaru is owned by GM?
  • pattim3pattim3 Posts: 533
    GM owns a 20% share of FHI. More for technology sharing than anything - ours for the drivetrain, there's for future low emission vehicles (at least for now).

Patti
  • balserbalser Posts: 90
    I don't own a Subaru yet, but I've liked them for a long time and am trying to convince my wife to buy a WRX wagon or Outback.

Anyway, to my point. We currently own a 2000 Chevy Suburban that was assembled in Mexico. Except for the power window motors (who knows where they're sourced) the truck has been flawless. The fit and finish are excellent. A similar 'made in Mexico' discussion took place on the Suburban board, and the consensus was pretty much that the quality is at least as good as the US, probably better. I'd buy another Suburban screwed together in Mexico without hesitation.
  • nschulman3nschulman3 Posts: 125
    I just got a call today that my wrx sedan just arrived. I am dying to pick it up, but because of family arriving in two days and the long commute-(nearly 5 hour ride), I won't be able to get the car until next Friday. I can't wait! Here are the specs on my car- Sedona Red wrx sedan with air filtration, armrest extension, short-shift and security upgrade. I purchased the car from Van Bortel in Victor NY. It is well worth the trip. I got the car with those options and destination charges for a grand total of just 23,600. Great deal, and the salespeople were equally great. If you want a wrx and live anywhere near their dealer, it is worth a trip. They have a set price with no haggling and the car arrived earlier than expected. Speak to Diana Lee or Theresa at 800-724-8872.
  • kostamojen2kostamojen2 Posts: 284
    The WRX is one of those cars that on a test drive you end up saying:

"Oh sheep! Im doing 80 in a 45, how did that happen???!!!"

:D

Yes, this car is GREAT in the 60-90 range... Feels like your going 30mph :)
  • silver_bulletsilver_bullet Posts: 1,339
    FWIW, Focus ZX3s are built in Ford's Hermosillo, Mexico plant, and the sedans and wagons come from the Wayne plant in the U.S. The Mexican cars seem better built than their U.S. counterparts, from what I've seen, although none of them are paragons of quality -- my fiancee's ZX3 is in the shop again for more warranty work.
    gaspasser: platform sharing is a way of life. It's do or die, given how competitive things are and how costs have to be controlled.

Yes, the baby Jag uses a Ford Mondeo platform. At least Ford of Europe has had their act together, and the Jag is about as different from the Mondeo as the TT Quattro is from a Golf.

I've heard the next Taurus may get the Volvo S80 platform. They're just trying to figure out how to cut costs enough to do that.

Range Rover needs better engines, so they can only be helped, IMO. And you would hope that Mercedes lifts Chrysler out of the quality dungeon, and not the other way around (Chrysler dragging down M-B).

Subaru has their own platforms, and it looks like GM will let Subaru design the 2005 SUW, and then sell a version of it for themselves. Scoobies should remain scoobies, with boxer engines and full-time AWD, plus platforms designed by FHI engineers.

The exception may be hybrid technology, for batteries and such. That's OK, Subaru may need it to continue to meet the 27.5 mpg CAFE standard, and it is way behind Honda and Toyota with no resources to catch up.

Think of it this way: each hybrid they sell will allow them to sell more WRXs and Blitzens.

Just my 2 cents' worth.

-juice
    Enjoy your posts.
  • jbreez1jbreez1 Posts: 46
    thanx for the info on van bortel. i'm going to bring those prices to my dealers in orlando. if they don't come close, i may order on line and take a plne trip
  • I just ordered my WRX today! Blue sedan, manual, with spoiler, armrest, and few other small extras. I should be getting it in September. I could have gotten one sooner (the dealer will get one in this color and almost identical options in a few weeks), but I wanted more time to sell my old car.

A couple of information pieces that I picked up: They say that 8000 of the 10,000 available this year are already sold. So the ones that are still thinking might have to move fast. Looks like it could be a few more weeks, and then you'll be waiting until March 2002. There supposedly won't be any automatic available next year (which I consider to be a good thing...).

While talking about options, they showed me an order for a WRX totalling over $33K! 17" wheels, suspension kit, etc., pretty much everything you can get. This guy must be ready to spend quite a bit of money to own the sweetest WRX in the area...
This discussion has been closed.