Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• Options
    bbraddockbbraddock Member Posts: 46
    I got it, and Avalanche was right, even a rube like me can put it in. I have no idea what it does or how it works, but I can tell the 300M has a bit more zip. I took a 500 mile trip recently in the U.P. of michigan and averaged 27mpg, going about 60 mph. With gas prices up, the extra 3 mpg the K&N got me is really sweet. Now I can be a poster child for Zaino and K&N. I still think doing the dual exhaust thing may be beyond my limits. The Chrysler medallion on the crome wheels center really looks nice, as does the removal of the Chrysler lettering on the door sides. A hood cover, and crome tipped exhaust rounds out the package.
  • Options
    sirharpersirharper Member Posts: 112
    Darn right it makes a difference!! If you want even more impressive performance add the NEW Borla exhaust system! I know that Avs and other will tout their duals but this Borla I got 2 weeks ago did a miracle for performance!
  • Options
    catguycatguy Member Posts: 14
    Hi all, sorry I have been out of the loop. Just returned from Zurich and London for business, saw 3 American cars in Zurich...all 300M's. At least some people overseas have taste. Saw no M's in England...just some of the most God-awful ugly autos on the planet. No idea what engine the M's in Zurich had...2.7's probably?

Bluebird has just passed 6500 miles; no problems whatsoever. Lucky, I guess, esp when reading Beach 15's problems. Mixed driving giving about 21 mpg with 25-26 at 75mph. 'Bout average I guess. Overall I remain extremely pleased with our choice and would make it again in a second. I know that this has probably been posted elsewhere but could you give me the part# for the K&N air filter?
    My fervent hope is that DC leaves the design of Chrysler cars to Chrysler and resists the temptation to "fix" that. I have worked with DC personnel (engineers) and people from other German companies over the years; my overall impression...based admittedly on a very small sampling...is that while they are nice people, they are certainly no more talented than their US counterparts. The main difference that I see is the commitment of management to make great products. Period. Plus the fact that MB's profit margin on their bigtime cars is huge compared to a 300m. Bottom line is that they need to leave the design chore to someone that understands the art of the design and not turn the 300N into a MB/Lexus clone (yes, I think they look alike...wonder who copied who? I struggle to tell the difference).

Hope all is well with everyone and that Monterey was fun!
  • Options
    99_300m_ric_va99_300m_ric_va Member Posts: 377
    Well, first the accident, then the running outta gas with gas still in the tank.

The body reconstruction looks good. All is well there. Drove a few days this week and when I got to half a tank of gas, engine sputtered and shutdown. Same thing as the first time when I was on Empty and before the low fuel light came on. I got towed to a gas station filled up with 8 gals of gas (gauge read 1/2 tank) and car started right up after a couple of attempts.

So I dropped it off at the dealer and their diagnosis was...fuel pump. Of course they has to order it so I had to wait 1 day for the part, but now I have it back and so far so good.

Seems that my habit of running the car until the low fuel light comes on and then filling up has caught up with me after 36K. Apparently there is truth that the pump is cooled by the gas and we think it was overheating and shutting down. Adding cool gas to the tank got things going again. Theory of course. Anyway guess I'll be filling up at 1/4 tank from now on.

My odometer read 36,280 but the dealer fixed the pump under warrenty no charge. That was nice of them. I think that raises my previous 3* opinion of them to 4* :)
  • Options
    easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    and I may drop the rating soon to half a *----couldnt reproduce my ac problem and the window was not making the noise when I brought it in, so they sent me on my way. Even though the problem showed up at the dealers a while back, they wouldnt replace the regulator on the window.

Today I notice two mistakes on assembly of my M. The door lock on the passenger side is black plastic. The rest of the window and locks switches are chrome. They either ran low on chrome switches on assembly or made an error. hey otto--do they have to take the door apart on the passenger side to replace the door lock switch. If they do, I will live with the plastic switch.

I also notice they put the male end of the seat belt latch on backwards on the drivers side. When you fasten the belt, it doesnt lie flat. Hope my car wasnt built on a friday.

\K&N--I remember 300michael testing the K&N and finding that it passes more small particles than the stock filter. Wonder if this would possibly cause a problem down the road with grit entering the combustion chamber. Any comments on this. I would install the K&N if it improves mileage and wont cause a problem but wonder if it voids the warrantee if you have an engine failure. Then again, you could reinstall the stock filter before bringing it in for an engine failure. Comments?

Easyrider300M
  • Options
    phases78phases78 Member Posts: 471
    im back!! got back early cuz i have some problems that need immediate attention. because of them, my billet grill is on hold, but not for long. im having some serious financal probs, but nothing i cant take care of..

my comp crashed to, been down for a week. i honestly thought i wouldnt be online again for a few months. i cant explain to you how bad a shape it was in. nothing registered on the hd, windows wouldnt load up.. was aweful, but.. i went into the registry and fixed it, im sooo happy

cars doing excellent, ill take some pics tomorrow after i give her a bath before i go to my parents 25 anniversary party. ill keep you all informed!

im so sorry i couldnt make the meet, i wanted to SOOO BAD! but i will make one as soon as one is scheduled that the army can let me take time off for... id love to meet you all..

p.s. im SOOOO happy to be home!

http://phases78.homestead.com/300m.html

• Options
    tucsongiltucsongil Member Posts: 116
    Hello Gang!

I believe that driving to Vegas from Tucson is about six hours, I would still fly over there! When I go to Vegas I want the action to start ASAP!

Maybe I can mooch a ride with one of you guys once I'm there!
  • Options
    Yesterday while I was killing time on my lunch hour, I ran over to the Supermarket to read the new magazines. After going through a few mags, I checked out Low Rider and Lowriding to look at the babes in there! In the Sept issue of "Lowriding"(it has a babe with a pink outfit on the cover) on Page 82 there is a pic of a White 300M there that is lowered(low profile style) with looks like it has 19" Lexani wheels on it. The grill is done in white too. Keep in mind, this M is not lowrider style, but low profile style like the Hondas ect.....

Check it out!
  • Options
    sdmike2sdmike2 Member Posts: 2,909
    You can have shotgun in Big Red if we both make it to Vegas. :)
  • Options
    You the Man, SDMike!

Don't worry, I will behave! *_O
  • Options
    300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    Yes it was me that did some of the testing of the filters. True the K&N type filters let more small particles through. They do get better over time. If you are worried go with a larger serface area like a cone type, to allow the air to travel more slowly through the filter medium.
  • Options
    easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    does the cone filter give as much power boost as the K&N--will the gas savings be equal---do you use the K&N---I think you said you use it in the winter and the cone in the summer--is that correct
  • Options
    mike_sp1mike_sp1 Member Posts: 43
    Does anyone know of a mod that would provide automatic daytime running lights and still leave all automatic functions of the exterior lights?? I have been used to the safety of the daytime running lights on my previous cars that were standard OEM equipment and feel that they make my daily commute to work more safe. TIA Mike S.
  • Options
    scotianscotian Member Posts: 1,064
    unit plugs into the empty socket on the fuse panel (top forward). I don't know if they are black listed by Chrysler for sale in the US like the side markers are. I think they're around $50, if I recall correctly.

I think they are pretty much useless, but that's the topic of another discussion...
  • Options
    *don't know how to post or link here sorry*

w3.one.net/~jhoin/

-or-
    www.johnhoin.com (click 300M link)
  • Options
    mileshoovermileshoover Member Posts: 122
    mike_sp1 -- Wiring for DRL's is already "plumbed" for the LHS and 300M for quite a few years now and are required in Canada. I have had them on my '99 LHS for a year or so and feel much safer with them installed.

All you need to do is get the module Mopar #04602229AC from any dealer who will order it for you. It's an easy install. It costs$78.50 US; is about 1 1/2"X2 1/2", has 2 sockets for both a 4 and 2 pin connection which is already in the autos.

Usually a discount applies -- mine cost $62.80 plus UPS shipping of $3.93 and was obtained from POMOCO Chry/Ply of Newport News

partspomoco@aol.com

(Johnathan Evans) 757-833-8087, FAX 757-833-0948. You may be able to get it cheaper elsewhere, but he does usually have them in stock.

To install, pull off the access panel at the left (driver's) end of the instrument panel. Look at the extreme left top -- there is a socket which will accept the module and has the two wires present. You do not have to disconnect the battery and the wires will only fit the correct way.

If you have any problems w/installation, give me a yell on e-mail.
  • Options
    mikeyjohnmikeyjohn Member Posts: 365
    Don't know where in the States you are located, but if you are close to Canada take the trip, and save yourself a load of money plus other parts you may need for your car. We have had to have our cars installed with daytime running lights for years and they do save lives. You can trust me on that !!!!!!
  • Options
    Yes, I have both. The performance differance is nill for average driving. The filter sirface area on the cone is about one and a half times that of the stock replacement. So the air travels a little slower through it, thus is should filter a little better. The draw back is that the cone filter sucks in hot engine compartment air (for the average user). Most of the time I am using the K&N stock replacement filter. At least until I get the hood scoop plumbed in.
  • Options
    Or were they posted earler? Thanks, I would like to see some of your other M's out there.
  • Options
    denvermdenverm Member Posts: 358
    A few more pics have been added to the Monterey page on the Club's site: http://www.300mclub.org/monterey2001.htm
  • Options
    toms99toms99 Member Posts: 252
    Nice pics on your web page! On the "Performance" page I see the pic of the engine has that chromed diaphragm valve that's in the brochures. Mine is just painted flat black. Anyone know if that valve can be ordered in chrome???
  • Options
    travmntravmn Member Posts: 30
    okay, i was sitting around watching tv today, flipping channels and on TNN they had their HorsePower TV and Trucks and some other shows, and on one of the shows they were doing some interior work on "Big Blaze". from what it looked like, what they did wasn't very difficult and it'd probably be something I'd like to do with my M. reason being, I'm not a big fan of the way they segmented the colors on the interior of the M ( being dark grey/black on everything low and then the beige/tan upper section ( top, upper parts of pillars, etc. ) ). so anyway, I was wondering if anyone has done anything in regards to repainting the plastic pieces to match ( and if so, what's the proper paint color and brand you'd recommend ) and how difficult it would be to replace the cloth pieces on the ceiling. Also, where could you get some matching grey cloth? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • Options
    As for the material I would look to see of you have a large fabric wearhouse near you. I found matching leather at one near me.
  • Options
    just curious, but do the new M's have cupholders in that little drop down arm rest? unfortunately, my M does not and I would like to have some cupholders back there. is it as simple as ordering a matching leather one w/ cup holder and swapping them, or do I need to do a custom install? thanks
  • Options
    does anyone else have problems with their floor mats sliding around? it seems that little piece they have to hold the mat isn't very effective ( mats falls off of it, piece also has come out from carpet ). reason I ask is the other day i didn't realize that the mat got pushed all the way under my pedals which jammed my pedals. not a fun experience trying to stop with minimal braking. just glad there wasn't a lot of traffic. ahh well, if you got any suggestions, lemme know. thanks
  • Options
    avalanche165avalanche165 Member Posts: 558
    i asked about this awhile ago but didn't get time to go out and check the sizes. someone told me that it would not fit right into our 99's. but it never hurts to do a custom job ;)
  • Options
    don't pay any attention to me, but screw the 300N, screw the special, what's everyone think of the Crossfire that is actually going to be put into production? that car looked sweet at whichever car show it was at.

http://www.chrysler.com/experience/news/

i don't recall the planned setup, but it should be a quick car.

• Options
    OK, here's what happened: When I ordered the wood trim kit for my 99LHS, they sent me a kit for a 300M. Every piece is the same, except for the piece around the shifter. On the LHS there is already a stock oval wood trim around the shifter, so I needed a piece that just fit around the ash-tray.

The company sent me another shift piece, but it was a different 300M piece! The first one has hole cut-outs for the shift indicators and the second one has a long slot for the shift indicators. (On the 3rd try, the company sent the proper LHS trim piece!)

The company told me not to bother sending the 2 wrong pieces back. I could throw them up on eBay, but heck, I didn't pay for them, and you 'M guys have been real nice in letting this LHS owner "lurk & post" here (the LHS board is DEAD!) so I thought I'd offer them free here.

Anyone who wants them just has to let me know which one and send me a couple a bucks for postage. I'll try to post pics later tonight or tomorrow.
  • Options
    smittydsmittyd Member Posts: 23
    I would love to get the one with the long slot, if it has not already been spoken for.

There's an email link on my webpage to send details. http://dodgeboy.cjb.net

Thanks in advance.

Mopar or no car!

• Options
    those two pieces your recieved, teh first one with holes is for the 99 models. and the long slots are 2000+ models. just for info....
  • Options
    do u have white rims? those look kinda nice on that color

i didn't know there was an option to go white. i know there was silver and then chrome right?

• Options
    madcityrussmadcityruss Member Posts: 40
    Tom,
    I could use the '99 trim with the holes. You can e-mail me if it's available. Thanks.
  • Options
    OK, it looks like:

smityd gets the "long slot" version,

and

madcityruss gets the "holes-on-left" version.
  • Options
    dfrumdfrum Member Posts: 3
    Well we just had what may turn out to be a major problem with our M. My wife called on the way to work. Transmission was jerking. After a couple hundred yards, the check engine light came on. Now it's stuck in 2nd. I read the diagnostics codes with the "3 key turns" and received "P1684" and "P0700". I disconnected the battery for a few minutes. The P0700 went away, as well as the check engine. Started out in first gear fine, but within a few feet shifted into second again. I only drove around the block, but the check engine light stayed off as well as the only code I get now is "P1684"? I saw online where this code means battery disconnect in last 50 hours? Stuck in second still. Any ideas? Thanks...
  • Options
    Sorry Av those are just the regular "so called painted" rims. Nothing special there I'm afraid.
  • Options
    your only the, oh id say, millionth person with that problem. your MAP sensor went out, (thats what its called right guys?) and it sticks in second so u can still drive it to the dealer. a couple hours (assuming its still under warrantee) and u'll be good to go. sadly im bettin your at around 30,000 miles huh?
  • Options
    denvermdenverm Member Posts: 358
    Everyone who has had this happen says it's the speed sensor that went out.
  • Options
    this happened to me twice, once with the input sensor and once with output sensor.
  • Options
    well, i was close
  • Options
    99_300m_ric_va99_300m_ric_va Member Posts: 377
    Yeah I have that problem with the driver mat sliding and getting under the accelerator pedal. The factory hook is holding but since it's off to the side the mat will rotate and creep to the right and bunch up under the pedals. I wish they had put another hook on the other side as I think it would relieve the problem.

My current solution is to pull the mat straight when I remember or when I feel it harder to push the accelerator then usual. No ingenious solution yet.

Anyone else have a solution?
  • Options
    glue??

j/k
  • Options
    Sew in some Velcro Patches, one on the bottome of the mat and on the top of the carpeting. This way you do not damage anything. If you ever want to change it simply undo the stiching.
  • Options
    fuzzywuzzyfuzzywuzzy Member Posts: 958
    never had a problem with mine creeping up. Stays where I want it. sorry
  • Options
    fuzzywuzzyfuzzywuzzy Member Posts: 958
    Yeah that's a speed sensor problem.
  • Options
    silverbullet4silverbullet4 Member Posts: 449
    My 2k M has 2 cupholders in the fold-down armrest. I don't know if you could pick one up at a salvage yard, or if it would fit a '99M. Good luck!

Silver
  • Options
    for those of you following the saga of phases's car, sites been updated with more pics of the rims and what not...

http://phases78.homestead.com/300m.html

• Options
    scotianscotian Member Posts: 1,064
    You can buy long chrome staple-like devices with clips that hold auto mats in place. They clip onto the mat and stick through the carpet.
  • Options
    neal038neal038 Member Posts: 2
    Hey guy Id love the one for the 2001 model let me know if you still have it. Thanks,
    Neal038@aol.com
  • Options
    dfrumdfrum Member Posts: 3
    Since the dealer is closed today, I called Autozone trying to get info on the sensors you guys mentioned possibly bad. They only had a listing for input sensor, and output sensor. Only 16.95 each. I can only hope that's all it turns out to be. fuzzywuzzy, you called it a "speed sensor" is this another sensor that could be bad, or one of the input/output sensors? Did your cars act the same when one of these went bad? Mine basically shifts very erratic and harsh, jumping to 2nd gear at only 1 mph and then not shifting to 3rd when it should, but when it does, it's very harsh. I'm only a few miles from a 5* so I'll drive it in 2nd gear tomorrow. Any other ideas? Thanks again...
  • Options
    herrmdoggherrmdogg Member Posts: 69
    This happened to me too ... it was the speed sensor ... they had it fixed in a few hours.

http://members.cardomain.com/herrmdogg

HerrmDogg