Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• Options
    boggseboggse Member Posts: 1,048
    Just got mine. Not much about the Pro, just one small blurb about the P5. Still, some good Mazda6 and RX-8 info.
  • Options
    meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    Did you see the thing about Mazda Rev It Up? That looked pretty cool, but it's not going to be anywhere close to me.
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Actually, I didn't sell the 1999 DX to Carmax, I traded it in at the dealership where I got the 01 Protege from. They gave me $1000 more than Carmax offered, which was right on with KBB value. Also, there was rocker panel damage to the DX (from cutting a turn too short and going up over the curb) that Carmax saw but the dealership didn't.

And as far as my other car, don't worry about it. It's all under control. But thanks for asking. :)
  • Options
    mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    ... in taking corners. Rocker panels, tires, wheels, goodness!!!

I think you have too much curb appeal!!!

Ba-bump bump!!!

Meade
  • Options
    That was the only curb I ever 'jumped' actually. The other one with the tire was because I was a little too close and a part of the sidewalk was jagged and uneven compared to the rest of it. Slit the side of my tire wide open. :(
  • Options
    mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    I arrived at work just peachy. When I left at 2:00, I got to my car to find my rear left tire nearly flat. I measured the pressure: 8 lbs. WOW! Since Richmond was having an ice storm at the time, I elected to "limp" across the James River from work (our high-rise is on the river) to the closest gas station. After paying 50 cents for AIR (@#$@#$@#!!!!) I had that tire back up to 32 psi (but for how long, I thought). Well, I drove all the way home and it still looked good. We had dinner, and before going to bed I checked it again. Still OK. Got up this morning, thinking crap, I'm gonna have to put my "donut" on the car in this icy mess, and to my surprise, the tire's fine!

Could the icy conditions Wednesday night, when I drove to the neighborhood Chinese restaurant, have frozen that tire up so well that it separated slightly from the rim, causing an air leak, that a few hours later sealed itself when the tire thawed? The tire's fine this morning!!!

Questioning faith,

Meade
  • Options
    mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
  • Options
    That confirms the 2.3L will be an option for the Mazda3!

OK, I hope with the "lowered" roofline, I still fit in the sport wagon.
  • Options
    I can't see myself wanting more than the 2.3L in a 2600lb car (even with my 200lb bulk on board...my wife comments her P5 feels more sluggish with me riding along...little tease).

I'd like to see the new 2.0 and 2.3 in the Mazda3. I hope the 2.3 delivers more mpg than it does in the Mazda6. It should, given the lighter vehicle. What will the 2.0 deliver in the states, I wonder?

I think the 2.3L in the 6MT is great. Should be more fun in the 3.

Unless I'm drag-racing, I don't personally find the need for more than what the current 2.0L delivers (130hp, 135lb-ft?) in cars the size and mass of the current Pro/P5.
  • Options
    The 1.8L engine was alot smoother and more willing to rev than the 2-liter engine in the 2001+ models. I was kinda upset, as I waited for the 2.0 in the 01, and it was a letdown.

I wonder why Mazda never used their 1.8 V6 from the MX-3 GS in anything else? Emissions standards, maybe?
  • Options
    Are you sure someone didn't mess with your car's tire and lower the air pressure? I would also say a slow leak, but the pressure would have changed overnight.
  • Options
    protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    If the 2.0L engine is such a letdown, why do ALL new Pro's have it?

I'm more than satisfied w/ the 2.0L engine. I don't expect a rocket out of an economy car...for that I'll add a turbo.

Which makes me think about this:
    In terms of adding a turbo, which engine would be better: the 1.8L or the 2.0L?
  • Options
    True that. I've taken my Pro on 7+ hour long trips and loved every second driving it.
  • Options
    tomcivilettitomciviletti Member Posts: 207
    That photo illustration looks pretty boxy a la focus. Not bad, but not as goodlooking as the protege.
  • Options
    carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    It looks like a wagon. I thought that was supposed to be the Sedan version. I'm confused.
  • Options
    csbellkeycsbellkey Member Posts: 1
    Greetings,

After much deliberation between a Protege and Civic, three weeks ago I purchased a new 2003 Protege ES, 5 spd. I love the way it looks and handles, but it is definitely weak on pick-up. My biggest concern though, is the mileage I am getting. After two tanks full of gas I am averaging about 20-22 mpgs, which is almost all city driving. This seems pretty low to me, especially when compared to cars like the corrolla and civic. Any comments about your experience with 5 spd Proteges and typical gas mileage?
  • Options
    fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    Congratulations on your new Pro!
    And welcome to the forum.

I have a 2002 LX with AT and average 27 around town and 34 highway.

As you get to 3000 miles it will get better with a small increase after 5000.

fowler3
  • Options
    browntroutbrowntrout Member Posts: 24
    I think it depends on how much boost although both engines would not be able to take more than 6-10lbs of boost. I would say the 1.8L would be the better engine to turbo charge. It is the better engine in high RPM's which is usually where you get most out of a turbo. Also it is the lighter of the 2 cars. I guess with the 1.8L you'd get a more peaky engine but with the longer stroke of the 2.0L, it might be harder to build up the boost initially.
  • Options
    stupidcarstupidcar Member Posts: 8
    i also got a new protege... on friday, 2003 es in black.. so far it has been very nice .. is it really that bad to drive it over 55 during the first 1000 miles? i keep catching myself speeding down the highway at 75-80 is this bad for the engine? i am trying to stop but i cant help myself.. 380 mi so far..
  • Options
    20-22 may be low, depending on what type of city driving, and how hard you drive it (I usually get 28-29 in my 1.6L AT, but can get it down to 22-24mpg if I drive more aggressively). Mention it to your dealer's service department, just so you can say you mentioned it and keep tabs on it as you break-in the engine and transmission.

If you can, try to drive about 45mph (nearly constantly). You should get over 30mpg this way (I get about 38). Visit a national park or someplace else where you can do this with minimal stops and starts.

And for the first 1000 miles, avoid driving at a constant speed for too long and don't accelerate hard. 75-80mph on the freeway is OK. Just vary your speed a little. You want to try to exercise the engine through as much of the rev range as you can w/o blowing a head gasket (so, no redlining for a while).
  • Options
    This weekend, I looked at what I have been getting on my 2003 P5 Auto for fuel economy. So far, in 1668 miles, I have averaged 25.1 mpg. The first tank was 22.4 mpg and the most recent was 27.2 mpg. This car mostly sees 15 miles per day round trip. 7.5 miles there and back, all city streets, stop-n-go, under 50 mph. It will have its first real trip starting this Wednesday when I take it to Orlando, FL. I'll report on the fuel economy for that trip when I get back.

For comparison, my 2001 ES 5-Speed got about 25 mpg on its first tank and averaged around 30 mpg once it was "broken in." (my description, not Mazda's)
  • Options
    I thought you took your P5 on a trip to MD already?
  • Options
    Also remember not to be too hard on the brakes for the first 350 miles. Also, don't use the cruise control until 1000 miles has passed.

From someone who used to have a black Protege (01 ES), if you get many 90+ degree summer days, save up for window tinting now. You will be sorry (and sweating) if you don't. The black is a beautiful color, but certainly not a low maintenance one (but that's pretty obvious). Congrats!
  • Options
    dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    Congrats!

BTW, what should we call you? Stupid is not too flattering :)

Dinu
  • Options
    Which I almost called you. Heh. :)
  • Options
    The trip to MD was relatively short compared to FL. Also, I was just past the 600 mile mark when I went. I think I got around 26 mpg on that trip, but then again I was driving like 80 on the beltway just to keep up.
  • Options
    merlin6merlin6 Member Posts: 5
    I'm looking for some advice/recommendation for some good all-season tires for a 2000 Protege ES 5spd. I bought this car new, and like everything about it except the way it handles in snow ... or even just wet pavement! I now have 60,000 miles on this car, and although the Portenza tires that came on it originally have held up well (still have enough tread to probably last another 12K or so), I've decided risking the poor handling any further, especially in the winters we experience here in the mid-west, simply isn't worth it.

Anyone have experience with good all-season tires for this car?

Just a side note .... when I took the car in for its 60,000 check-up, I was told the water pump was leaking, and needs to be replaced (ouch!) Is this a "normal" problem for this age car? Other than this, it's been pretty much problem free for the first 60K.
  • Options
    the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    60000 in 3 years????
  • Options
    I just replaced my 2000 ES's tires with Falken ZE512 all season high-performance tires from http://www.vulcantire.com . so far the tires have been very good, there are virtually no hydroplaning when driving over a puddle now, and snow grip is much better than my bald Yokohamas that were on them.

one thing to note, these Falken tires have a treadwear of 360, which is slightly less than most passenger tires, which usually rates at 450+
  • Options
    That's nothing. People seem to be driving their cars more now than they used to. I know I have 32.5K on my car, and it's only 16 months old today actually.

I am surprised the Poortenza tires lasted 60K miles. That is a big shocker for me actually.
  • Options
    mine's 2.5 years old and it hasn't even reached 30k yet!!!
  • Options
    You also have 2 cars to split between though...

I am about to get a second job, and with that included, my daily commute will be about 110 miles. I am thinking about getting a second beater to drive, as not to add all the mileage to my present car.
  • Options
    time for a 99 Protege DX Paul!

should be able to find one for around 5-6k???
  • Options
    Nah, I want something cheaper than that. I was thinking more along the lines of $1-3K actually... Now I know I could find a 1995 Protege for that probably, or a Metro with lower miles. I don't feel safe in a car that samll though.
  • Options
    My friend is looking for a 2nd car too. However, he wanted a sporty car, so he was looking at cars like '87 RX-7's, '90 Celica Alltrac (the car he's likely going to get), and my fav, a 1987 Supra (fun!!!!). These cars are within your price range I think.

Anyway, a 95 Pro would serve you well....definitely more reliable than any of the aforementioned vehicles.
  • Options
    dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    July 2001: 33K miles so far. Speak for yourself :)

Dinu
  • Options
    newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
  • Options
    My Protege would have about 60K on it by now (bought 2/01, traded 11/01) if I still had it. 20K traded, plus 32.5K on current car, plus miles I put on loaners (4K on one of them, had it for a month!) = 56K right there.
  • Options
    I'm taking it to Chicago on the 21st. For those of you who live in Chi, look for a 2001 Silver ES with 35% tint and MN plates tearing up the Eisenhower and Kennedy (if there's no traffic). I'm still contemplating whether or not I should use my winter tires or my summer tires?
  • Options
    meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
  • Options
    chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    E-mail me if you want to grab a slice or something. I'll be in Wisconsin Saturday morning through Sunday afternoon of that weekend, though.

And you can just pipe down, Raymond.

--Dale
  • Options
    I'll be on Division street Friday night and I'm sleeping in on Saturday and Sunday. I don't think I will get down there until about 6 or 7 on Friday.
  • Options
    tomcivilettitomciviletti Member Posts: 207
    I think the dunlop 5000 is one of the better all season performance tires to fit.
  • Options
    an advertising company here in Minneapolis (they do the BMW movie ads, Microsoft, MTV and a bunch of other stuff) made a bunch of posters to raise more awareness of the homeless. They took pictures of homeless people here in Minneapolis on the coldest nights in February and put them on posters with phrases like: "Current temperature in hell: -10F" or "Homeless: When asked to describe their fear of death with one word, their answer was February"

I've seen many homeless people here and assumed that they went to shelters at night but when I saw those pictures I felt really bad. The shelters fill up and don't take anyone who appears intoxicated. It's nice to know that there are companies out there that actually care about this stuff. The company did this on their own, nobody hired them to do it.

Anyway, I can't wait to take my Protege down to Chicago. I'll have to keep it away from the taxis.
  • Options
    and they have a sporty 4 seater comparo with the Infiniti G35 coupe, Ford Mustang SVT Cobra, and Mazda RX8. The Mazda took 1st. Nice work Mazda.
  • Options
    fritz1224fritz1224 Member Posts: 398
    With 60k miles on your car you're due for a timing belt replacement so if the water pump is leaking (or maybe even if it isn't) this would be the best time to have it replaced along with the timing belt(and maybe the other accessory belts as well).
    My 2000 ES bought 7/31/00 has less than 20k. Still runs like new. I use mostly for buzzing around town, no road trips of any great distances.
  • Options
    especially how it drives, even if it is not as fast as the other two cars in terms of raw performance measurements.

it's that je ne sais quoi about how the whole package is put together and feels, that makes a "slow" car fun to drive :-)
  • Options
    focusedztsfocusedzts Member Posts: 10
    If not already covered...some nice pics of the Mazda Sportif including the interior which I love.
    http://thehollywoodextra.com/mazda/mazda.html
  • Options
    IIRC, NE/CA emissions cars don't have their timing belts replaced until 105K. That's what the owner's manuals in both my 99 DX and 01 ES said, anyway...