Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    Well, I must admit -- I actually USED the icons to do the little cry-baby face, just to be my usual nutty self. ;)

I was considering the Mazda5 -- been researching it quite a bit actually -- but the final decision, even before I've seen a 5, came down to a few facts right now:

1 - I have a family and the money-to-blow quotient ain't what it used to be.
    2 - A similarly equipped 5 will cost about 5 grand more than I paid for the 3.
    3 - The 5 uses the 3's engine and powertrain yet weighs about 500 pounds more. I borrowed a 3 for a weekend last year and found it to be a little rocket; I don't know what 500 more pounds (about 20 percent more weight) will mean, zoom-zoom wise. Mazda has already released MPG numbers for the 5, and they're nowhere near the 25/32 EPA estimates for the 3 hatch with 5-speed (but of course) that I got.
    4 - I don't really need a mini-minivan. I just wanted a sporty vehicle with more (and more flexible) cargo room. The 3 wagon fits that bill to a "T" and the compartmentalized trunk that you can customize to fit your needs is really flexible. I also got the cargo net and cargo tray for the trunk floor.
    5 - The 3 has been out for a year and a half. Buying the 5 in its first months on US soil would be committing one of my cardinal sins of car buying.
    6 - My Protege was up for state inspection next month and most assuredly needed new tires and brakes, plus possibly a windshield. Zoomster was also 1,000 miles late for his 90,000-mile "major service" which would've cost me about $250, and the ol' timing belt issue was starting to concern me. I really didn't feel like putting a thousand or more bucks into a car with 91,000 miles on it.
    7 - Interest rates are rising. I got one hell of a deal because of my "preferred customer" status (er, now 6 new Mazdas from the same dealership in 13 years).

I can't think of much else right now. Here are a few interesting points that helped me choose Mazda and my dealership once again though:

- The 3 has a timing CHAIN. (No costly belt replacement at 60, 90 or 105K miles or whatever!
    - Free oil changes for the first 3 years/36K miles.
    - Free tires for life! (As long as I do all my maintenance at the dealership, which I do anyway for the most part.)
    - Free loaner car, even for an oil change or a tire rotation!
    - Free roadside assistance.
    - Free zoom-zoom stickers!!! :shades:

I do miss Zoomster though. It was hard to see him get driven around back to that place trade-ins go, never to be seen again ... :cry:

Meade
  • usinousino Member Posts: 3
    I have a Mazda Protege lx 1998 and fail the emission with the following codes:
    P0421-warm up catalyst efficiency below threshold bank(1)(5)

P0170-Fuel trim malfunction bank (1)(2)

What is the meaning of each codes? Thank you
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    We'll miss you, but I still expect you to stop by every now and then.

It's always hard to see a good buddy, I mean car, go. I felt all weepy inside when the new owner of my '89 323 drove him down the street and around the corner.

I'll be hanging onto my Protege for a while. Nothing currently out there is able to entice me out of her. Now, that next Miata might be considered as an addition, but never a replacement. :)
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    Me, too. I'm keeping my Protegé for a good while yet. It's still going good, no complaints. Heck the seats still look new, but I have had only two passengers in four years. And I am very happy about its fuel economy with gas prices what they are. I can drive a month on one tank full. Protegés are rare on dealers' used car lots. Nothing out there as economical with the same build quality.

In four days or 34 miles it will be 4 years I've owned it and hit 22K. Gawd! They wear out fast! ;)

fowler3
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    fowler3 said: I'm keeping my Protegé for a good while yet. It's still going good, no complaints ... 4 years I've owned it and hit 22K ... I can drive a month on one tank

Wow, are you planning to set a record for low mileage? You seem to be averaging less than 500 miles per month! Your Pro must run like it just came off the lot. ;)

p.s. that's very environmentally-friendly, kudos to you! :)
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Almost chat time again! Find a friend to bring along tonight! See you shortly!!

PF Flyer
    Host
    News & Views, Wagons, & Hybrid Vehicles

The Mazda Mania Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
    No, not really. I just don't drive far for shopping. For medical appointments it's twice a year six months apart. When shopping I buy for the next two weeks' needs, sometimes three weeks. I don't drive when it rains, snows, etc. The longest trips are to take my dog to a park for excercise, her nose gets more than the rest of her -- every post and bush. I'm retired, which explains most of it. I do go out mostly for dining but it's only 3 miles with a choice of 14 restaurants all in a row.

The last time I drove to a supermarket, about a city block away, I walked home. Went into the garage for something and thought somebody had stolen my Protegé. Walked back to get it.

One of the best things about the Pro is its short turning circle, couldn't stand one with a larger one. It makes those tight restaurant parking spaces easy to get into and out of without backing up two or three times and wrestling the steering wheel with little gain. With vans and SUVs circling waiting for patrons who have finished dining, the Pro zips right in and gets the first available. Man, do they get ticked off.

BTW, how much mileage should I have left on the Portenzas with 2/32"?

fowler3
  • lawman1967lawman1967 Member Posts: 314
    After a nasty letter and some arguing back and forth with "Customer Compliance", they are giving me $650 cash and a $100 Mazda voucher. Of course the dash still rattles (not as bad as it used to), and I had to fix the seat squeek myself.

The seat problem was actually the seatbelt latch, or more accurately the pivot joint where it attaches on the right side of the seat bottom. I took it completely apart, filed it smooth and then smothered it in silicon lube before putting it back together. So far I've had 4 weeks of quiet.

The door rattles were fixed by the installation of aftermarket "Dynamats" in all four doors. These are sold at car stereo shops and are deisgned to dampen vibration and reduce road noise through the doors, which they did, in addition to dampening the rattles.

The rattles in the window cranks (I've got a 2003 DX) were silenced with WD40, as was the cushioned pad on the left of the dash in front of the passenger, for the most part.

Finally after 18 months and a lot of do-it-myself, my Protege is as quiet as it should have been when new. Mazda agreed to the $650 and the $100 voucher as compensation for the considerable inconvenience and all the time I spent in rental cars over the last 1.5 years (44 days out of service).

Guess it ended well enough, not sure I'm entirely satisfied, but then it beats litigation, and of course the car is now FINALLY repaired. It just really bothers me that in 44 days Mazda was unable to repair any of the squeeks or rattles, while in one long Saturday I was able to silence most of them.
    With vans and SUVs circling waiting for patrons who have finished dining, the Pro zips right in and gets the first available. Man, do they get ticked off.
    Yes, I like to give the F150s and other behemoths a wink and nod as I zip along, too. Also do you find you fill up the gas tank less often but quicker than they do? ;)

how much mileage should I have left on the Portenzas with 2/32"?
    I believe you are due for a tire change; you might find the stopping distance during wet conditions problematic. I would look for new ones now if you haven't already done so. Did you like your Bridgestones? If your Pro is using 15" wheels you have many other choices; my Pro5 drives on 16" and the choices seem more restricted and expensive. I would avoid dealerships as they tend to "inflate" :P their tire prices.

And, finally, on behalf of the world ... congratulations again on being a wise driver!
    Finally after 18 months and a lot of do-it-myself, my Protege is as quiet as it should have been when new. Mazda agreed to the $650 and the $100 voucher as compensation ... Guess it ended well enough, not sure I'm entirely satisfied

Yes, it makes one wonder why the job was not done as a courtesy. That would avoid the mutual aggravation and the subsequent costs involved. I wonder if from a dealership's point of view, they feel "rattles" are not "real" problems just inconveniences that don't merit occupying a service technician's time? Balancing the cost of repair with the need for good customer relationship is a fine art. Hopefully, more dealerships come up with the right formula: keep your customers happy and they'll keep being your customers.
  • bluem6ibluem6i Member Posts: 77
    BTW, how much mileage should I have left on the Portenzas with 2/32"?

I think 2/32 are considered legally worn out and subject to a safety check violation. They may not pass inspection.

More importantly, they are bad enough in the rain when new. The must be absolutely horrible with only 2/32.

Joe
    ... did to my 10-month-old 1992 Protege in the rain in August 1992!

http://www.geocities.com/negatize/media/specialty/meade92_totaled.jpg

Meade
  • edmund2460edmund2460 Member Posts: 293
    I'm cringing at the thought of $650 60K tuneups. I have a competent mechanic who does my VW and other imports. Not sure how many Proteges they work on, if any. Would any of you recommend NOT going to the dealer for a belt change if another mech. can do it cheaper. Also did you change your water pump with the belt. Some say it's worth doing to save labor if the pump fails shortly thereafter..
  • iamziamz Member Posts: 542
    I'm posting here 'cause there seems to be more traffic. I've searched the forums to see if anyone has successfully mounted 205/55/16's on their 1999 or newer protege or 2002 and newer protege5 but couldn't find anyone. Has anyone tried? I know the 205 width is no problem but the sidewall height will increase .6 inches over the stock 195/50 Dunlops. I'm aware that the speedometer will have a 5% error on the slow side of reality but am not concerned.

If no one has tried them yet, I'm going in tonight for a test fitment of BFG Traction TA's. I've got a 2002 protege5.
    They should fit with room to spare. My track tires are a 215/50/15 which is about the same increase from the stock 195/55/15 that my 2003 Protege came with (I run 205/50/15 on the street).
    I've searched the forums to see if anyone has successfully mounted 205/55/16's on their 1999 or newer protege or 2002 and newer protege5 but couldn't find anyone. Has anyone tried? I know the 205 width is no problem but the sidewall height will increase .6 inches over the stock 195/50 Dunlops.

Are you aware that the Traction T/A also come in 205/50/16? I found this via Tiretrends; the BFG part number is 88328 according to that site. That way you should have no concern about fitment. The Traction T/A are second on my short list of replacements for the Dunlops; the Toyo Proxes TPT currently top the list.

p.s. whatever you end up choosing, I'd appreciate hearing what you think of your new tires before I fork over the big bucks.
    Autonomous, you were right, I needed new tires badly.

Just back from Discount Tire, I bought Kumho ECSTA 711, 205-50-15HRs. Good enough for my driving, should last four + years, sales guy said 30K. The Discount Tire store was having a Grand Opening, the package came to $367.80 including a good light lunch of fruit, salad, and great brownies while I waited 20 minutes for mounting them. Oh yeah, got a good digital tire guage too. Also free lifetime balancing, rotation and road hazzard replacement.

The tires ride so much smoother and quieter than the OEM Bridgestones -- like day and night. Road imperfections are nowhere near as harsh. On smooth pavement, which is mostly what abounds here, it's like riding on marshmellows or in a larger car. And the strange clacking sound I have been hearing from the left front wheel area is GONE. Have no idea what it was. We checked and nothing was loose. :)

My car is a 2001 Protegé LX 2.0L.

fowler3
    Congratulations, fowler! Let us know how the Kumhos fare; I think they are a great value and I have heard good things about them. :D

Speaking of happy endings...
    when you mentioned clacking noise it reminded me of last fall when I had brought in my P5 for its winter tire switch. Once I arrived home I heard this horrible clacking sound when braking and feared the worse. I drove for a while not hearing the sound except on odd occasions, like making a turn or when backing up. I scurried back to my dealer ready to be self-righeously indignant, but was met with a fairly simple solution : "the plastic wheelcovers that you have on your winter tires are flexing as you turn the wheel; just remove the covers or add a little grease." And, presto, the grease did it's job and so that is how, a zoom replaced a clack .
    Thanks for the replies. Drove to Discount Tire in Eden Prairie MN and had them perform a test fit on the driver front wheel. Everything cleared lock to lock. Negotiated the price and had them mount the other three.

I have not had a chance to hit any sweepers at speed so I can't speak to sidewall flex and such. On regular crappy MN roads they are quiet (this usually changes for the worse over time) and provide a more solid feel over pot holes, patches, cracks and heaves. They do not wash out these road features but they are translated in a more damped manner than the Dunlops. Makes the car feel more refined and less toy like.

What I really like is how well the 205/55's fill out the wheel wells. All that open space around the Dunlops always bothered me and made the P5 look bigger than it is. Now the car looks more like a hatchback than a small wagon.

I'll check my speedometer error with my GPS when I have a chance but should be in the ball park of reading 3 mph low around 60 (car traveling 63 when speedometer reads 60).

These are the H rated BFG Traction TA's and may perform different from the V rated tires. The complete package with non-prorated lifetime replacement came in at $408 before tax.
    Terry said: What I really like is how well the 205/55's fill out the wheel wells. All that open space around the Dunlops always bothered me and made the P5 look bigger than it is. Now the car looks more like a hatchback than a small wagon ... These are the H rated BFG Traction TA's and may perform different from the V rated tires. The complete package with non-prorated lifetime replacement came in at $408 before tax.

The BF Goodrich Traction T/A 205/55/16 H sound like great tires. I am looking at the same BFGs but in 205/50/16 V to replace the original Dunlops (195/50/16 V).

With my limited understanding of tire sizing:
    - the first number (e.g. 205 mm.) is the tire width or footprint; increasing the number (from 190) translates into more rubber on the road; a good thing in my book;
    - the second number (e.g. 55) refers to the tire wall which circles the rim; since it is a percentage of the first number (that is, 55% of 205mm.) the larger the number the more substantial (fatter) the tires look; fatter tires are easier on your backside as they cushion road shock; the slimmer look of the Dunlops gives a sportier look, I would think;
    - the third number (e.g. 16 inches) is the size of the rim; originally, like others I thought of increasing to 17 until I costed new rims + new tires and am now quite happy with my 16s
    - the letter (e.g. H) stands for the maximum speed; generally the further in the alphabet the higher the speed potential, so a V which is rated for 240 km/hour is faster than an S (160) or a T (190); the exception is the H which is rated at 210; for me this rating is an indicator of my confidence, in other words I feel more confident taking that turn driving a V rather than an S.
    autonomous, your understanding of tire sizing is correct (wouldn't call it limited :). Keep in mind that my choice in tires this time around was highly influenced by my close to 90 mile round-trip commute on mainly straight farm roads. There are some curvy portions but the radii of them are so large I would have to be traveling 20-30 mph over the speed limit just to start letting the tires work at keeping me on the road.

Also, about a year after getting the P5 I got back into motorcycling and found that the car started to feel mundane in comparison. So, I try and spend as much time as I can on the bikes commuting in the spring, summer and fall. When I take vacations, I head out on the bikes instead of the car once again.

As result of these things, super high performance tires just don't make sense for me. I decided on the Traction TA's based on reviews at Tire Rack after Discount Tire brought them to my attention. They have just about the exact same tread pattern as my winter Michelin Pilot Alpins, and those have been relatively quiet except for they like to sing in the rain (high pitch rather than a low rumble).

I decided on the 55 profile over the 50 because of how well they fill out the wheel wells as I mentioned.

So, that's about it. I'll give more feed back once I get more miles on them.
    Oh yeah, there was one more thing. I am expecting to see a 1+ mpg increase over the previous tires. I will be traveling ~ 5% farther on the same amount of engine work once at speed. I'll let you know how those calculations come out also.
    Also, about a year after getting the P5 I got back into motorcycling and found that the car started to feel mundane in comparison. So, I try and spend as much time as I can on the bikes commuting in the spring, summer and fall. When I take vacations, I head out on the bikes instead of the car once again.
    I hear you. What kind of bike?
    I started with a 750 Shadow, but the real fun came with the Suzuki DR650 SE. Let's just say, I don't limit my commute to pavement anymore. ;)

How about you, what's your ride?
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    195/55/15 are on my 03LX. 185/60/15 BF Goodrich Traction TA/T are available for $55 compared to $78 for 195/55/15 BF Goodrich Traction TA/V.
    What do you think of substituting the 185/60's? Is this an acceptable substitute?
    195/55/15 are on my 03LX. 185/60/15 BF Goodrich Traction TA/T are available for $55 compared to $78 for 195/55/15 BF Goodrich Traction TA/V.
    What do you think of substituting the 185/60's? Is this an acceptable substitute?

Interesting: the tires seem very close in size but very different in price. Within the same brand of tire, the 195/55 is over 40% more expensive than the 185/60, which is only a slightly different size. Are the 185's on special?

At what speed max. are your current tires rated? lower than T? T? H? V? higher?
    The 185/60/15 probably would suit your set-up well, but you may want to ask the real pro, Connor, at the Tire rack here on Edmunds.
    Current tires are V rated (149 mph) and the TA/T tires are T rated (118 mph).

Unless my Protege is picked up off the ground by a Tornado it is not going to come close to 149 mph ;)

I do not even plan to exceed 100 mph, though the Protege is capable.

Service rating is 84 for both tires.
  • 77hchbck77hchbck Member Posts: 24
    I'm new here as I just got into the Protege world and I'm wondering if basic dexron III is a good substitute for the ATF M-III or Dexron II listed in the owners manual. Or are Mazdas like Hondas and require special fluids which are available only at their dealers? I hope not. What are others using for this Gen.

I just bought this car used and I'm doing all the maintenance fluids and filters before handing it over to my daughter.
    Current tires are V rated (149 mph) and the TA/T tires are T rated (118 mph) ...
    I do not even plan to exceed 100 mph

Sounds like you answered your own question, moparbad! You can start laughing all the way to the bank with your 185s. :)

It would be interesting to hear Connor's comments especially regarding handling. I predict he'll have no problem with your choice.

Good luck and let us know how your spanking new BFGs turn (!) out.
    No answer yet on tire sizing from Connor, however, I found a great sizing tool at www.1010tires.com
    The tire size calculator shows the 185/60/15 to be acceptable. I thought 195/60/15 would also be an option, however, they show greater than 3% difference in size. Hmmm....
    I'm just an admirer when it comes to bikes. Some day ...

p.s. any recommendations for a novice?
    I'm sure we'll run across each other still. :)

Good luck with your new 3 hatch. I like that red.
    connortirerack, "Ask Connor at The Tire Rack" #808, 19 Apr 2005 9:53 am
    Connor did not endorse my tire selection. I called to change my order to the OEM 195/55/15 size and different Tirerack employee had different advice than Connor.
    :confuse:
    185/60/15 is 10 mm less width and 5 mm taller and 1.28% overall larger diameter. Decided to go with Borbet Type CA wheels with Yokohama Avid TRZ 185/60 tires against the advice of Connor.
    If they don't handle well, I can't say I wasn't warned. I expect they will be fine. :)
    Will let you know how they perform after they arrive.
    Thanks my friend!

Don't worry, I still hang out here; I check the posts pretty much daily (when there are posts to check, LOL). I have found the group here MUCH more mature than the group over on the Mazda3 discussions.

Meade
    There's a lot of passion there though. LOL.

I cruise those boards on occasion, but the posts arrive in too great numbers for me to keep up. I usually end up scrolling to the last page the next time I pass by.

You keep them in line. ;)
    I can feel Pat trembling already. :P

There's passion there, yessss ... but it's lust, not love. So far the Mazda3 discussions are a study in entitlement vs. reality.

Meade
    Do you mean steering wheels are optional? Sheesh, I thought they were standard and leathercovered in Mazdas. :confuse:

fowler3
  • alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    There are some very interesting comments on this subject at

http://www.parttrackers.com/library/1/24/50/

Scroll down to the third from last paragraph
  • e302ae302a Member Posts: 2
    Hi guys!

I would like to post a problem with my audio system. Is the following normal? :

my rear doors (the panel speakers in particular) do not have ANY sound coming out of them? is this normal????????

please give me a quick yes or no response if anybody knows anything about this area?????? thanx !!! e302ahotmail.com ...................

its a mazda 2003 protege!! i forgot to include this!!
    Ryan
    There are no speakers mounted in the rear doors of the Protege sedan. The speaker grilles are there because the same doors were used in the 2003 Protege5 sedan, which didn't have a rear parcel shelf for rear speakers -- so in the Protege5, there were speakers there.

Meade
  • e302ae302a Member Posts: 2
    Thank you so much for the timely answer!! it seems like theres some super knowledge people in here.

Thanks again meade...guess its time to shell out some bucks to get some speakers in there.
    Any articles, tips, advice on what speakers u'd recommend for the protege , and installation instructions?? any pdfs floatin around??
    cheers
    Ryan
    There may not be any wiring channels for the rear door speakers. My understanding of the grilles not having speakers is Mazda used the same door panels in cars sold in Asia and Australia where those countries DID get speakers, but the USA Protegés got them in the parcel shelf.

fowler3
    The US model not only got speakers in the shelf, they got BIG speakers in the shelf, 6X9s, which are far better at movine air (a speaker's job) than anything that fits in the door would be.
  • ganggang Member Posts: 16
    The window on driver's side suddenly dropped all the way down to the bottom when I closed the door of my 99 Protege ES yesterday. Then it could not be raised up any more through the button on the door panel. I had to manually raise it all the way up, but it becomes very loose now, and I am afraid it will drop down again. What is exactly the problem? Is this something I can open the panel and fix it up?

Many thanks for suggestions...
    Gang ...

Please see my response in the Problems and Solutions discussion.

You don't have to cross-post your questions. We'll find you. :P

Meade
  • lamillerlamiller Member Posts: 1
    What a coincidence that I came upon this site! I have a 2003 LX and the front two tires are completly worn to nothing, i am getting them replaced in two days and it is so interesting to hear that everyone else has had the same problem with how expensive 195-55-15 tires are! oh my god its insane no one has used ones ofcourse and new ones are so pricey. Anyway I dont know what brand it is that i am getting but discount tire is replacing both with new ones for a grand total of 131.72 which is really cheap for two tires. At this point any thing is better than the two that i have.
    It's called 323 over there. It was good to see it still around.

Got a gander at a variety of vehicles while I was there. Small mini-vans from Honda & Toyota (think Mazda5/Premacy). Honda Fit sedans and 5-dr hatchbacks really piqued my interest (the hatchback, not the sedan). If you thought S. Korean mfrs. made fast progress in making automobiles, you'll be surprised how quickly some of the China mfrs are coming along. Kind of scary, especially given how GM is struggling right now.

Traffic laws are loosely followed there. Good thing they drive more slowly than we do. :)

They sure could use some form of emissions control though. Yuck.
    Good to hear from ya. How's life?

Meade
    How are you doin', buddy?

It gets awful quiet around here. Get the feeling lots of folks have moved on (present company included!...how is your new ride, BTW?...guess I can get the scoop on the Mazda3 boards, but I'm feeling a bit lazy and hoping for a summary w/o the cross-chatter).

Amazing how cool the weather has been out in my neck of the woods. Not that I mind. I hate the hot, humid summers we typically have.

Been looking for a bike for my wife. It's pretty hard since she's petite. Too small for most adult bikes. too big for most youth bikes. And custom bikes are expensive! We'd be looking at $1500-$2500 for one of those fitted to fit her, when we're looking more in the $200-400 range (mostly on-road riding, and mostly at casual speeds). Giant offers an in-between bike (youth, but on 26in wheels) that might fit her. I'm waiting to hear what length crank arms it's got from one of the local bike shops.

And I just discovered that Bell has changed their head models so their helmets don't fit my fat noggin either. I'd better take really good care of the ones I have now. It sure bites to have a big head when you like to ride (most sunglasses pinch my head too).

And I just became an uncle early this month! We'll be visiting them in a month or two. Gotta let momma recover a little bit before we bother them. My daughter is kind of excited to have a younger cousin, especially since it's a girl.

Anyway, I don't get on too frequently these days, but I'll try to do better.

Ciao!
  • pistolpistol Member Posts: 2
    I have a 99 Protege with a 1.6 L. engine. The check engine light has been on for about 4 months. The car runs fine yet i must get this code (po171 bank 1: engine running too lean) corrected for the car to pass PA. state emissions test. I have already replaced the mainstream o2 sensor and a torn fresh air intake hose and 3 times cleared the codes, but this same code keeps coming up. Yes, i have spent over $150.00 in parts for the waiver, but i would still like some satisfaction for the money i have put out with no results. Anyone have any similar problems and what did you do to fix it? Thanks!