Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• fritz1224fritz1224 Member Posts: 398
    Sears denied my request for a prorated adjustment on the tires.
    Said they needed receipts for tire rotations and alignments. I had some receipts and a very detailed log but that just wasn't good enough. Sear's price for 2 of the same tires was $275, I bought them at another tire store for $232. Some savings there but not the 33% discount I would have like to have gotten from Sears. I got 40k out of this pair, and I expect that would be the average for V rated tire.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    It's Tuesday so that means mazda chat time again. Stop in and meet and greet with your fellow Mazda lovers. Or just stop by for a little fun and car problem chat diagnosis. (One of our favorite games..heh)

The Mazda Club Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    Hey Mazdafun!

I'm checking in more too now that I have DSL and an LTop. Long time no type. I joined the Mazda Forum in 2001 when I bought my Pro on your's and the other 40 owner's advice. It was correct on evry point. Love the handling and the fuel economy even today.

No mechanical problems whatsoever since day one, now at 34,000 miles. Like new except for to dents in rear bumpercap where I argued with a garage door and a stoned wall. Both won.

What would I trade for these days? To be honest, there isn't a single car out there, and I have looked carfully, that would give me anymore than what I already have in the Protegé. Swoopie lines and wild interiors do not a long-life car make. They get dirty easy. And Toyota's 36mpg add campaigne is no more than what the Pro gets with an AT. It has the same trunk capacity as the new Acura RL. Comfortable seats without having to buy electric lumbar adjustment. The list goes on and on. As Mazdafun says,"It's still a nice looking car too." Look how hard the designers have to work at modernizing classic roof lines and fender blisters!

Zoom zoom comes free.
    Hey Dale and old friends! Long time no type!!

I'm still driving my Pro and believe it or not it's just turning 34K since 2001.

I'm still online with a few changes: Sold townhouse, moved to apartment close to all the services I use (no worry about gas prices), had a heart attack, recovering now, Tippy is still with me only she is getting older too.

Cheers!
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Hey Jim, glad to hear you beat out that attack and all is well. I'm not sure if Dale still checks in here, but I see her other places so I'll give her the heads up.

Take care.
  • chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    Yikes, sorry to hear about the heart attack, but glad Tippy is still with you!

My Protege turned 70K this week. Still pretty much intact, although occasionally the wheel bearings complain. My original dealership closed, so now I'm going to a different one where the service dept. waiting room is all posh and new and easily twice the size of my whole apartment.

Next fall I'll be looking to replace the Falken Ziex 912's, which turn out to be quite dangerous in the snow.

Good to hear from you!

--Dale
  • civiletticiviletti Member Posts: 86
    I still drive my 99es in classic red, only 70k miles, runs like new, and would look that way if my daughter never drove it. She, by the way, begs us to give it to her, but I'm ready for new wheels yet.
    I would buy tires somewhere other than Sears - just my opinion.

tirerack.com and Costco are good choices. tirerack has great selection and Costco has a great service package, but limited selection.
    Hey Dale: Yeah, I'm still here and my 2001 Pro just hit 33889 this evening. It's second set of tires still on it -- summer rated Touring tires, I never changed them to even four-season. When it's ice or snow we stay put. They have done well, highly recommend Khumo. Otherwise, we are two dogs growing old together: both of us have arthritis, both of us have lost two teeth, both of us have vision problems, and both of us are on medications for old-age symptoms. She has a bad liver and I have a bad heart, the organs in each which are the most serious for dogs and men.

We still enjoy our rides and she still hangs out the window to bark at neighbors (say Hi) as we pass by. Having moved to an apartment the neighbors are getting use to her "Hi's". All have become Tippy's new friends. :)
  • edmund2460edmund2460 Member Posts: 293
    I second this. I now buy tires only from Costco. I saved some $200+ on a set of 4 Michelin Exalto P2's over Sears. When I asked them about it and reminded them they had 'lowest price" and "we'll beat any price" signs in the store they said it was on 'most tires'. Costco also regularly has a $60 discount on 4 tires making them even cheaper.
  • edmund2460edmund2460 Member Posts: 293
    Hey Fowler: Good to see you're still posting here. We both bought our Pro's about the same time at that High Point dealer. And I have 62K on mine, would be a lot more if I didn't have the 82 Jetta, although lately I've been using the Pro. So far I've had 0 problems whereas my wife's 03 Camry at the same mileage had worn belts and a CV boot change. The battery was surprising, lasted till yesterday. Your dog reminded me of our last retriever. He would snap at cars going by, trying to catch them like flies. All the best.
    Hey Edmund2460:

Yes, I remember you asking if the dealer was a good place to trade. Their lot is now full of Mazdas, so many they block the entrances on weekends so you can't drive on the lot to look at them. Have to park on competitor's lot and walk. Hundai's look sharp now too.

I'm surprised the battery lasted that long, mine was shot by 24K miles, but it was actually three years.

Mazda has a lot of nice cars now, would be difficult to decide which I like the most. I think the Mazda5 is a better choice than the Mazda3 5-door, depending on one's needs. I'm still a small car fan. Even the Mazda2 interests me.
  • ardaproesardaproes Member Posts: 12
    Hi Everyone
    Hi Dale Good to see here. I am the guy from Socal who used to be in the tuesday chats, but due to new class schedules stopped participating. Hope to be in after the school though. About the car the Pro is still running like a champ . She is at 197135 miles as of today gonna make a video when she turns 200000miles. Had the tires replaced by Kumho Ecsta Ast's
    and got a new clutch . The mechanic was surprised that the original clutch made it this far. Overall the car is in good shape except those bushings that keep clunking
    nonetheless still a pleasure to drive. It is the Zoom zoom thing i guess :)
    You mean bushings don't zoom? I thought they did. Darn. Hey Socal Guy!
  • davidingilbertdavidingilbert Member Posts: 53
    Hey all.
    I am in need of people's opinions.

We have 2002 Protege with about 70,000 miles on it. When my wife became pregnant, she started to drive my car, a 2006 Honda Accord EX-L and I got to drive her car because the Honda was more comfortable for her than the Protege.

Recently we have been having discussions on whether or not to get rid of it. Just some background - our child was born a premature at 20 weeks and did not survive. So, we never took the plunge to get something more appropriate, such as a Minivan.

Me - the Protege is ok, but not very comfortable. I am almost 6 feet tall and I feel every bit of the road when I drive plus it is noisy. I have been pushing for either a small SUV or a station wagon. Currently, she is not pregnant, but I figure with a station wagon, if she becomes pregnant, then we have a somewhat appropriate vehicle. And, I get to drive a car that is more comfortable for me.

My wife keeps going back and forth on the issue. "Do we want another car payment? (My Accord has one more payment.) "Do we want something bigger that takes more gas to fill?" etc. Plus, she says people have sedans and babies all the time. When I say lets get rid of her car and get a bigger sedan so at least we both have comfortable cars, she doesn't want to do that either. To be honest, i am not sure when she wants to get rid of it all of a sudden.

My only problem is sometimes my wife gets stressed at stuff and calls me to "Vent" and that is not always a good time either. Seeing how small the car is in general, I am having a vision of her trying to get a child into the back seat of the Protege one day, trying to get the stroller into the trunk and other items and none of it going into the car too smoothly. Is the trunk of a Protege big enough to hold a stroller, and other things?

What does everyone on here think?
    I look forward to your opinions.

Thanks.
    Dave
    Dave: I would wait a while, until your wife is over the loss of your first child, and then approach the subject. The Protegé is not the car you should have for family, although, others have made-do with them. Consider the Mazda5 which has ample room and uses the engine as the Mazda3. Gets better fuel economy than a larger van. More leg and butt room, too. :D
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    My wife keeps going back and forth on the issue. "Do we want another car payment? (My Accord has one more payment.) "Do we want something bigger that takes more gas to fill?" etc. Plus, she says people have sedans and babies all the time. When I say lets get rid of her car and get a bigger sedan so at least we both have comfortable cars, she doesn't want to do that either. To be honest, i am not sure when she wants to get rid of it all of a sudden.

It appears from what you have posted that your wife is not the undecided one. She is pretty clearly saying that the Protege is fine for now. The right answer to practice is "that's fine, whatever you say". ;)
    Autonomous: There are several options here you should take time to think about. 1) The Accord is almost paid for.; 2) You could save the payments for a future trade up.; 3) Do with what you have until the gas problem settles.; and 4) Plan for your next car as if it will be the one you drive for a long time. Be sure it meets your needs.

Generally, the small cars offered today don't seem to get any better fuel economy than the Protegé, maybe one mile per gallon more. My 2001 gets 26mpg city and 34mpg highway. Highest 36mpg. The seats are firm, but softer tires when replacing the Bridgestones made a hugh difference. Check Khumo touring tires. :D
    Autonomous: There are several options here you should take time to think about. I'm puzzled, fowler3, why you are addressing these points to me. If I read Dave's message correctly, it is he that wants a new car ... it is not me (and apparently not his wife).

Further to your pertinent point about fuel economy, you may want to check out the current Consumer Reports issue which reviews some excellent choices that offer real (25+%) improvements in fuel efficiency over our Proteges: the Elantra, the Corolla, the Prius, even the Mazda3 manual transmission. On the other hand, considering all of the attention in recent years on fuel economy I must declare that these improvements still have a long way to go. One area that disturbs is the continuing girth of cars. Several questions arise. Why do cars have to keep on getting bulkier and heavier? For example, why is the Mazda3s about 10% heavier than a Protege5? Why not feed our need for speed by lightening the vehicles? Why not advertise the weight savings as part of the performance enhancements? I will now leave the podium ...
    Autonomous: I got confused too that's why one reply addresses you. It isn't always clear who to reply to with these things. Add to that Apple's screwed up email app and you can see where it comes from.

I agree there are more up-to-date compact cars which get better mileage than our Protegés. The Mazda3 is one IF you go for the manual tranny, I didn't on the Pro. Another thing about the MZ3 it's suppose to be bigger, yet I can barely get into it, and very comfortable in the old model. It strikes me as a car Mazda designed for purformance at all costs regardless of passenger comfort. If the buyer is too big go elsewhere. I'm 5' -11" 150 pounds.

With reports the cost of oil will hit $200 a barrel I still see no need in trading. If you add the additional costs of insurance and local taxes to the difference in costs of the cars, it's a no-brainer. When you buy a better car you cannot buy insurance at the same premium you had on the older car.

My Pro is clean, no dings, clean inside, and only 34,580 miles. Still on second tires.

What I DID DO was sell my townhouse and move to an apartment closer to the services I need daily. Now, I use about four gallons a week instead of 10 gallons. :D
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Why do cars have to keep on getting bulkier and heavier? For example, why is the Mazda3s about 10% heavier than a Protege5? Why not feed our need for speed by lightening the vehicles? Why not advertise the weight savings as part of the performance enhancements? I will now leave the podium ...

How many air bags, side impact beams and ABS actuators did the older cars have? Also, how well did those manual windows and vents w/o AC work? Manufacturers have made significant gains in weight reduction but the list of standard equipment seems to grow faster. Not to mention, cars have more integration yet get cheaper (relative to inflation).

I'd like to have a car as comfortable as a Rolls, as roomy as an Excursion, as fast as a Bugatti, the towing capacity of an F550, and the economy of a Smart. When can i get it?
    I'd like to have a car as comfortable as a Rolls, as roomy as an Excursion, as fast as a Bugatti, the towing capacity of an F550, and the economy of a Smart.

How about the Mini Clubman? I was rereading the June 2008 hatchbacks issue of Consumer Reports and noted the following stats about the mighty mite:
    weight: 2780 lbs. for the automatic;
    acceleration 0 to 60 in 9.7 sec.;
    braking 60-0 in 128 ft.
    overall mpg: 29
    price: $24,700.

My verdict: interesting if pricy package .
    What I DID DO was sell my townhouse and move to an apartment closer to the services I need daily. Now, I use about four gallons a week instead of 10 gallons

Kudos to you, fowler3! That makes so much sense that you'll end up saving dollars. :blush:
  • phteophteo Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1992 Mazda protege 1.8L Manual Transmission. First Emission test HC Cruise limit 170 pass at 98, Idle limit 220 pass at 198. CO Cruise Limit 1.2 pass at 0.33, Idle limit 1.2 failed at 1.79.
    After I replace spark plus (found one cracked when I took it out), replace Rotor and Distributors. I did not replace Wires, they are fairly new-3 years and in great condition.
    But second test result got worse:
    HC Cruise limit 170 pass at 31 --much better, Idle limit 220 failed at 223.
    CO Cruise Limit 1.2 pass at 0.09 --much better, Idle limit 1.2 failed at 2.53.
    Both idle condition are much worse. I drove (at 9am) to the test center about 5 miles from my home after I replaced the parts a night before.
    You may want to consider a motorvac fuel system treatment. This is a fuel system purge and fuel system service to remove internal carbon build up and combustion byproducts. It should restore fuel efficiency and engine performance.
  • orlandom28orlandom28 Member Posts: 1
    I have a check engine light on...I went to auto zone and recieved P code P0171..fuel system too leen....my car has been stalling and getting crappy gas milage..please advise...Thanks
    You need to have the fuel pump checked. It may be clogged with something. They get dirty.
    Lean fuel system sounds like you may have a blockage somewhere in the fuel system. WIth the price of gas these days you'd be wise to bring it into for service.
  • zoomchuckszoomchucks Member Posts: 2
    Hey All,

Just bought my first Mazda -- '02 Protege LX (2.0), pretty loaded and such. However, I noticed as I was driving it back down to Los Angeles today that once I get to about 55-60 mph, I start to hear a very noticeable rattling sound from what sounds like the bottom right of the front passenger seat, almost behind and a little below the glove compartment. I'm assuming it's probably the strut mounts or the stabilizer links, but is there anything obvious a new zoom-zoomer like me might be missing?

Thanks,
    Rob
  • mazda020801mazda020801 Member Posts: 5
    Heres a new one from me, I am thinking about buying a new set of wheels for my P5 and wanted to know if anyone has run on 205/55/16's if you need to do anything for the computer or Speedo?

Also, just wanted to thank everyone that posted about my ignition problems, I tried a fuel treatment and the CEL hasnt come on in a week. fingers crossed......Thank you all!!!
    ... thinking about buying a new set of wheels for my P5 and wanted to know if anyone has run on 205/55/16's if you need to do anything for the computer or Speedo?

I have been riding on BF Goodrich T/A 205/50/16V for two years without a problem. The 205/55/16 may fit but you should double check with the provider or contact TireTrends for their opinion. The original size for the P5 is 195/50/16 V from Dunlop.
  • mazdagurliemazdagurlie Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Maza Protege with about 275,000.00 Km on it. My check engine light has been on for about 6 months now. I have had it hooked up to the diagnostic machine numerous times and have had many minor parts changed. Each time the light is back on within two days. The car seems to be running fine. Does anyone have any idea if it is bad for the car to have the CE light on for so long?
  • mazdagurliemazdagurlie Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone with a 2001 mazda protege tell me what it means if my handbrake light and ABS brake light come on while I'm driving? They turn off when the car has been turned off for a few hours but come on every so often. I took it to my mechanic and he said to bring it back when the lights are one so he can check it out but the lights never stay on after the car has been shut off. Any suggestions?
  • nathans3nathans3 Member Posts: 1
    Hi guys,

I've got a very loud rattling sound coming from what I think is the A/C Compressor (Front right side of car near the grill.. pulley belt on it)

The A/C works alright.. it's not super cold but it's decent. The rattling just started a few weeks ago, but the A/C has always been "mediocre" this entire summer. Over the winter there was always a loud screeching noise when I first started the car... so I'm thinking that the belt on the A/C Compressor as it was slowly dying?

Any advice? I don't want to just take it to a garage without knowing what it most likely is and what should probably be done. Will the entire Compressor have to be replaced, or are there other options I can look into? It's a 1998 with only 93,000 miles on it.. so I want to have it for a few more years.

Thanks in advance.
    mechanic ... said to bring it back ... so he can check it out but the lights never stay on after the car has been shut off.
    Leave the car overnight at the mechanic and let him try it to recreate the problem during the day.

As for riding with a check engine light, the problem is you don't know what the problem is. It could be a minor one now but then become a major one and you would not know the difference because the same light is "on" in both cases. It's good that you've tried to diagnose it yourself but you may want to bite the bullet and have a Mazda "expert" (?) look at it. It actually may be cheaper (you may not need to replace parts willy nilly) and may bring peace of mind. The key is finding a trustworthy mechanic.
  • girishbalagirishbala Member Posts: 2
    Hi! I am new to this forum. I noticed that people on this forum are really helpful and knowledgeable, so here we go...hope you can help me.

I have a 2000 protege(had it for about 17 months now) with 98,990 miles on it. I plan to get my 100,000 miles service (esp. my timing belt changed) done soon. I live in Columbus, OH and will be moving to Los Angeles, CA in about 2 months. I am new to this and not sure if I should drive cross country especially because I plan to have this car at least for another 2 years(until I get done with grad school.) I want to know if its a smart idea to drive cross country. Along those lines, if there are any specifics that I need to plan, have etc. for the service and the trip (if I plan to do it) please let me know.

Thanks for your help!
    G
    I wish I could advise you on the crosscountry drive. My Pro hs only 36,000 miles on it and it's a 2001. But one guy on here lives in CA and his 2001 Pro has 187,000 miles with only regular servicing. If your car hs gone 99,000 miles without major problems I think it would get you there. Maybe you should have a good mechanic check it over and see what he thinks. Also, check the tires.

Do you know if it will meet the California emissions rules? It has to be inspected when it gets there. May be better to sell it and buy another car.
  • ardaproesardaproes Member Posts: 12
    Hi
    I have a 2000 Protege with 202.000 miles on it. I live in CA and car is pretty clean bodywise. If you are trying to do a cross country trip , it is probably a good idea to have your timing belt and water pump changed, and have it done a tune up including oil change, spark plugs. One main thing if you are moving to CA, you would better of selling the car and just flying over, because CA regulations would force you to change your catalytic converter and all that stuff, but if you are here just for school you might be able to drive around without having to register here.
    probably a good idea to have your timing belt and water pump changed, and have it done a tune up including oil change, spark plugs.
    Agreed. You would not want to discover that your car needs a timing belt halfway into your trip.

I'd recommend that you surf for the transporation bureau of California and find out as much as you can. They may provide for a temporary license allowing you to drive a few months before having to upgrade your car.

Suggestion: If your vehicle needs major upgrades you may want to sell it to someone who is leaving the state! :D

Happy trails!
  • 11b33t11b33t Member Posts: 51
    Go for it! Good idea to follow the previous advice on making sure your services are up to date and I can predict you'll have no issues making the trip. My 92 Pro LX has been X-country several times with no issue ever interupting the trip. Be safe out in LA-LA land... ;)
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    BF Goodrich has discountinued the Traction T/A V in 195/55R15 size. This is one of the OEM sizes for the Protege and there has always been a limited selection in this size. Shame to lose one of the good choices.
    Grrrrrr....

If you really like this tire like I do and will need tires soon, may want to consider buying while there is remaining stock.
  • susanozsusanoz Member Posts: 1
    I am a newbee here. Went to post my own problem and saw yours. Don't know if this will help, but I too went around the same block as you did, after numerous repairs (alternator, battery/charging components). I live in CA and could not get a required Smog Certificate for CA State Registration renewal tags without first having the Check Engine light off. In the smog/emisson testing, indicator lights/monitors would not evidence, despite numerous retests required for the CE light to go off, despite numerous attempts to drive over 50 miles. After the 3rd test, CA law requires a visit to the State of CA Smog Check Referee Center of the Bureau of Automotive Repair. This official was extremely helpful in that he told me, "You could drive it a year and the CE light would not go off, until you successfully complete two procedures: (1) 15-step procedure for All Monitors - Highway Drive Cycle and (2) 7-step procedure for EGR Monitor." The procedures were grueling because you cannot step on the brake once or else you have to start all over again; and, the hardest part is finding a place to do the procedures to have enough distance to perform the steps (if you do it on the streets, it would be best for a secluded area, because you would get a ticket/citation otherwise, as well as completing one step requiring several minutes for driving at 40 mph, and without street lights or other cars getting in your way, causing you to stop the procedures mid stream (i.e.:"Accelerate moderately. Drive at 20-25 mph for 20 seconds. Increase speed to 40-55 for 85 seconds, then deaccelerate [this means without stepping on the brake] to 0 over 50 seonds. Idle 15 seconds]... and then go right into the next step without stopping." You won't be able to do it safely on a freeway either, as you can see, you would have to stop, deaccelerate and idle. It requires 2 people: The driver following instructions, and another person to read the steps out loud and use a stop watch. If either one of you mess up or another driver gets in your way, or the road is too short to complete the step without stopping, you'll have to start over. It took me 3 times to complete, revisit the Referee for one monitor at a time, then another for another monitor to register on his guage to meet the requirements, but it did work and the CE light finally went off with the code being reset permanently. If you think there is nothing else wrong with your car and the CE light will not go out and you live in CA, you might consider asking a smog check shop to refer you for an appoinment (another necessity )to the CA Referee's nearest office to get a copy of these procedures. Don't know if this is applicable, but posted in case it was of help. I also called a dealer to see if they could simulate the same procedures for me, but far to excessive in $$$'s vs. completing it myself. Can't really understand the why or reason for this, as when I had an alternator and battery replaced, I drove 50 miles and it went off. But, I'm not a mechanic, and although a harrowing experience, if I was able to do it after 3 tries, it is possible for anyone. Best wishes to you.
  • jmzablaze187jmzablaze187 Member Posts: 1
    Hello...I recently just bought a 2001 Mazda Protege ES and I am having problems with the fog lights. The fuse closest to the driver side of the car keeps blowing. I have gone through 6 (15A) fuses. I try turning on the fog lights and they just flicker and go off which usually means the fuse has gone.

Any ideas? Or should I take to dealer?
    I suggest that you take the Pro to a dealer. The previous owner may have added something to the electrical hookups or there may be some other overload that is causing the problem. You want to avoid a fire in the engine bay. And it would be a good idea to have a compitant mechanic check it over.

Fowler3
    I am still driving my Protege LX and appreciate it every day. It just hit 40,000 miles so it's going to last a long time. I bought it April 16, 2001, the same month I joined Edmunds.com's forums.

Fowler3
    I am still driving my Protege LX and appreciate it every day
    Ditto for my 2002 Protege5. Zoom on!
  • cpaulyeecpaulyee Member Posts: 19
    It's been ages since I posted but Aloha from Hawaii. I still have my 2001 LX 2.0 and have 42,000 miles and I too still appreciate my Mazda! I always keep the car clean, but recently applied Blackfire wax and now the Sand Mica has that mirror look! I also purchased my Mazda in April 2001. Enjoy your Mazda everyone!
  • 925_zoom_zoom925_zoom_zoom Member Posts: 2
    Try the General Tire Exclaim UHP 195/55R15's. Thats what I will be riding in the spring after the THE BIG THAW of the Great Canadian Winter!

Here is the link
    http://www.generaltire.com/tires/T1/Exclaim-UHP
    I wonder if any of the old-timers still visit here. Anyway, after 12 years of faithful service, my red '99 pro es went to my daughter and is replaced by a 2011 Mazda3i touring. I almost bought a Golf tdi [for $12,000 more], but believe I'll be happy with the 3. It may take some time to get used to the whale shark-looking front end, though.

After a few thousand miles, I'll compare the cars. I am amazed that I was able to buy a 12 year newer, roughly equivalent car for only $1500 more than the '99 pro cost.
  • cgibneycgibney Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I'm helping a friend shop for a reliable used car. We test drove a 2001 Protege (link below) that runs well. But it does burn a little oil. We were going to take it to a mechanic for a look-over, but wanted to hear any advice on buying a Protege with that many miles?

http://roanoke.craigslist.org/ctd/3029689457.html