Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jaguar XJ-Series

Comments

• mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    Looked at the Jaguar and there is one main problem that a lot of car manufacturers have.... the darn sun-visors don't adjust once you move them to the side. I consider that a major flaw!!! Volvo's don't move, even my Land Rover LR3 don't move but thank goodness they are large. I bought stocking caps to slip over the end of the sun-visor to add additional length.

A car that lists for over $76,000 should have adjustable sunvisors!!!!!

So, it's out of the game.
    PS. my friend looking at the car cannot be in the sun (skin cancer) so it's a MAJOR issue.

Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • nomasjagnomasjag Member Posts: 3
    I no I asked this previously but has anyone owning a1999, 2000, 2001 XJ or Vadam plas had problems with their throttle body failing?

nomasjag
  • jaglover2jaglover2 Member Posts: 9
    When I purchased my '01 XJ8 in July 2004 the car died with my wife while I was on a business trip. With the "Limp Home" feature she was able to drive it home. Being that it was a certified pre-owned, we called the dealer and they sent a tow truck to pick it up and also drop off a loaner. The diagnosis was a bad throttle body. Since the car was still under warranty, the dealer replaced the throttle body and returned the car before I returned from my trip. The cost then was over $1,200 so I would expect more in 2008 dollars. So far I have not had anymore throttle body problems. By reading this website I have learned that throttle body failure is quite regular and Jaguar is aware of the problem so I imagine they have fixed it.
  • bongo197bongo197 Member Posts: 3
    Just purchased an '02 VDP. Dealer put new Pirelli P4000 M/S tires on it. Since this is my first Jag and it has rear wheel drive, I was wondering what to expect driving in snow. Should I stay off the road,purchased true snow tires for the rear(studded perhaps) or am I OK to go since it has traction control,stability control,and ABS. Also,Do you think I paid a fair price? Car is a Select Edition preowned.42,000 miles
  • Don't know what you paid, but resale on these cars is not good, so whatever you paid, you got a lot of car for the money.

I almost lost an 04 VDP accelerating on a slippery on ramp. The stability control and traction control cannot always react quickly enough, especially with the power these cars have. Yours has the winter advantage of more "road hugging weight" than newer models (though obviously it is not an advantage in terms of dry handling and mpg). Get FOUR good winter tires and use them They make a world of difference, and they don't have to be studded. In really bad conditions, throw some tube sand bags in the trunk. You'll be able to go anywhere.
    Thanks Gregg. Paid $23,000 for the Jag. Looks, runs like new. Am researching Michelin X-Ice tires
  • That was probably a bit high for an 02 in general, but in this case you got a dealer backed car in excellent condition, with bumper to bumper warranty to 100,000. Enjoy the ride.
  • byangbyang Member Posts: 1
    Don't drive the cat in the snow with those tyres - they will not work even in the slightest of snow - get a set of winter tyres - pirelli snow sport 210 or something like that - i had a 01 vdp and you can take that cat up the ski hills. happy motoring
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    Courious to know how you transported your skis with the Jag. We're shopping for a used XJ8L.

Ski rack suction cups have scratched the clear coat on our Town Car, so I've been loading them inside from dash to rear shelf. Just returned from Whistler after a week up there. :)
  • raegoreraegore Member Posts: 2
    I went through a touchless car wash a couple of days ago. My wipers were working fine until the blower happened to touch the blade as I was exiting. It just barely touched it. I can hear the blade try to start and see it jump but it will not work. Any suggestions? Thanks. Also on my mileage gauges I can hardly see how many miles left for my gasoline. All the other instruments are very bright. I have the brightness level turned up as high as it will go.Thanks again.
  • hofiiihofiii Member Posts: 16
    Try jag-lovers.com and post your question. They are very familiar with all Jags. You will need to go to the X300 forum to do so. You're 2001 XJ8 is actually a X308(Jag technical designation) but is included in the X300 forum. I'm sure you'll find this site to be invaluable. I sure have! Good Luck!
  • raegoreraegore Member Posts: 2
    Thanks will give it a look after work.
    Just purchsed a 02 VDP. Always heard Jags were expensive to maintain. Can anyone give me an idea of what I'm getting into for repairs? Nothing in particular, just, a general idea . Car has 42,000. Cost of 50,000 miles service? Radiator flush? New belts? Anything maybe you had serviced to give me a general idea. Do you suggest I stay with the dealer for servicing? How about oil changes? Dealer? Cost? Thanks all Michael
  • happygirl54happygirl54 Member Posts: 5
    Hi Guys! I have an '05 black on black xj8l. what products should i purchase to maintain the leather and wood interior of my car? Thanks!
    2 suggestions: Try jag-lovers.com and go to the X300 forum and post your question. Secondly, google 'connolly leather care' for product information. Good luck and enjoy your Jag!
  • sag5sag5 Member Posts: 9
    hofiii - THANKS! I so love my jag! i want to take good care of her LOL!
    Now that Ford has sold Jaguar and LR to India, the Brits can again say,

"TAH TAH"!

to another British tradition. :P
  • sag5sag5 Member Posts: 9
    Hey Guys! its me again, i am hearing an interior squeaking noise when i hit a rough road or when i turn sharp corners in my building's underground garage. is this normal? i had a problem before with constant squeaking noise but jaguar sent my car to the body shop and that is now silenced. i truly appreciate you guys! Thanks!
  • kothi77kothi77 Member Posts: 1
    I am currently looking to buy a 2004 Jaguar XJ8 with ~38k miles for around $23K. This vehicle was leased. I wanted to know if there are any maintenance that needs to be done at 40k or 50k miles (i.e. flushing the radiator, etc.) Also is this a good price for the vehicle. In addition, should I get the extended warranty and what is cover by the extended warranty. I am new to the Jaguar brand and would appreciate any help.
  • You can do better on the price, unless this is a certified car through a Jag dealer. If it is another extended warranty you are looking at, be careful and research it.

Go to autotrader.com. I think they allow you to put in three models in one search. Do years 2004 to 2006, models XJ, Van den Plas, and XJR, and up to 100 miles from your home. You will see that prices are all over the place (depending on whether it is a competing dealer or Jag dealer or private). You could possibly get a VDP for that money, and remember, the listed prices are before negotiation. These are great cars, but they are not selling well, so you can get a 4 year old $70K or $80K car for about 20, if the mileage is around 40K.

Don't buy a car that doesn't have the manuals and everything that it came with from the factory. The manual will tell you all about required maintenance. If you are buying from a dealer, they have to do whatever is due.
  • alonso1alonso1 Member Posts: 1
    did you ever sort out your electrical problems
    as i have exactly the same faults on my 3.2 v8.
    i have also tryed a new battery but to no avail.and the time between it restarting is getting longer..........regards alan
  • jameshymeljameshymel Member Posts: 5
    Car is used only once or twice per month. Battery was dying so I replaced it. Noticed the airbag light stayed on. Jag mechanic ran scan and found the diagnostic error associated with the seat belt pretension - circuit open. He said he's never seen this but was advised to check the wiring harness as part of this unit and check for a crimp or pinch...etc. Anyone seen this and can offer advice? Thanks. James
  • jagmonkey56jagmonkey56 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to lease what will be my 3rd Jag over the past 8 years. I am having trouble finding any real comparisons between the 2009 and 2008 XJ8. I have been offered a good deal on a 2008, but am trying to figure out if I should wait for the 2009 if especially there are changes/improvements in the tech package (i.e., 6 CD changer in the boot or IPod connectivity thru NavSys).
    Thanks for any input or suggestions on how to reserach this.
    JagMonkey56 :shades:
  • leadfoot4leadfoot4 Member Posts: 593
    My wife has a 2001 XJ8, owned it since new. We really like the car, however it has a tendency to wear out tires. The OE tires, the Pirelli 600s lasted only 7000 miles, partly due to the rear end's "toe" adjustment being out of spec, from the factory.

I got that taken care of, and put on a new set of Firestone SZ50s. The car now has 16,000 miles, and I think I'll be lucky if they last through the end of this season! They're worn evenly, but that's only 9-10,000 miles out of these tires.....

I know that both sets of these tires are "high performance", and as such, don't last forever. I also realize that the "big cat" is a pretty heavy car. But only 16-17,000 miles from the two sets of tires, on a conservatively driven car, is a bit much...

How have you other XJ8 owners done on tire wear?
  • That is nuts. The XJ is NOT a heavy car. It is quite svelte for its size and price class. You may have performance tires. They wear out fast. If you want wear, not razor sharp handling, buy all weather tires.
    Our Michelin X has 78,000 on them with 4/32 tread left on a 94 Town Car.

The XJ8 and TC weigh about the same, neighborhood of 4,000 lbs.

I've never had to hang iron with Michelins, but carry chains in case they're required. :)
  • denhamdenham Member Posts: 76
    You have a Alignment problem. I have a XJ8 and present tires have over 26,000miles
    and show little wear.Just because you paid for alignment does not mean it was done
    correct, I own a Tire and Alignment shop and advise that you find a small shop that
    does Alignment using the yellow pages and explain your problem over the phone.
    Good Lucky
    Everyone, thanks for the feedback!

The first alignment I had done, at around 6000 miles, when I first realized that the rear tires were heavily worn. I had this done at the shop where I had been going for the last 25 years. They got the car "in spec" however they told me that they had used up all the adjustment to get the camber adjusted.

I just had the car done again at the local Jag dealer, beacuse the camber looked negative to me. They recently bought one of the newer "high tech" alignment machines. They said that there was a "little bit" of camber adjustment left, and they were able to make the necessary adjustments.

Either way, however, the little bit of negative camber wouldn't cause an overall shortness of tire life. Inside edge wear, yes, most definitely, but not the remainder of the tread.

I realize that "normal" passenger tires might last longer, however the car, in theory, should be outfitted with "Z" speed rate tires, and they generally are the 280-320 wear rated tires. As I mentioned, however, I think 10,000 miles is a little too quick to wear out a set of tires...
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    a 2006 XJ8 and XJ8L to my friend's 2002 XJ8, a few questions came to mind...

1. the reviewers consider the 2006 XJ8 roomy, both front and back seats...did they lengthen the new design so that the 2006 XJ8 has the same rear seat room as the 2002 XJ8L???...(which would make the newer 2006 XJ8L even longer still???)...

2. HID headlights are standard on 2006, along with adjustable pedals (I am rather short, and moving pedals are a dream for me), not an additional option???

3. the standard 4.2L 300 HP engine is rated at 27 mpg highway...does anyone get close to this in real life???

4. off the wall question...since Jaguar prior to 2008 (2007?) was owned by Ford (now sold to Tata Motors), are all those pre-2007 Jags covered under warranty by Ford, or did warranty responsibility also transfer to Tata???...in other words, if I found a 2005/2006 XJ8 or 8L with 25K miles, and wanted the Ford ESP warranty, can they sell it to me, or is EVERYTHING now covered (or NOT covered) by Tata???...obviously, I would feel better with an ESP warranty from Ford...

5. the reviewers, both editors and consumers, rave about the build quality of the newer Jag...have folks here found it to be solidly built with all the new aluminum on it???

6. for those who have been in wrecks, does the aluminum dramatically raise the cost of body and chassis repair, and have your insurance premiums gone up much???

Thanks for any offered thoughts...
  • Have you looked at a 2004 and up? They lengthened the wheelbase and raised the ceiling a bit, so you have more rear seat room. The L version has reclining rear seats, so you don't actually get the full wheelbase stretch for that model in additional leg room.

The 2005 Jag has one of the best reliability/build quality ratings in its class. Jaguar, not Ford, provides the warranties. If you buy a certified used one, you can get coverage to 100,000 miles.

The aluminum body is more expensive to repair and insure, but not as bad as the Audi A8. Jaguar will ship your car to a shop that does proper repairs if you are out of range of one.

Mileage before 2008 adjustments was rated at 29 mpg highway. You should be able to get 27 easily if you are not driving like a bat out of hell.

The 2006 on has some extra features included that the 2004 and 05 did not. Even more sound insulation is part of that.

I think it is a great car, and it sure is a bargain used. Drive one and see what you think.
    That is what I am asking...the 2002 seemd rather low, but it looks like (on paper) that the 2004-up have raised the ceiling somewhat...

Further, the back seat of the 2002 XJ8 is actually quite cramped...but, it almost seemed like the 2004-up XJ8 has more seat room whereas the "L" version was needed prior to 2004...in other words, a newer XJ8 may have as much ear seat room as the previous stretched 8L...is that correct, or am I just a failure at reading???

Lastly, can Ford dealers around the coutry repair Jags, or only Jag dealers???...since I occasionally drive from Atlanta to Mississippi to vist relatives, if a Jag broke down, there may not be a dealer for 200 miles... :cry: :sick: :mad:
  • I don't think Ford dealers ever serviced Jaguars, except for the odd used one bought at a Ford dealer. Lots of service centers can service Jaguars...it doesn't necessarily have to be a dealer.

The 2004 and up XJ is classified as a large car. The 2003 and before was considered mid-size by the EPA. The legroom in a regular wheelbase XJ now is within half an inch of the amount offered by the pre-2004 long wheelbase version. But in addition, you have almost 2 and 1/2 inches more headroom. It goes from cramped before to quite adequate now.

BTW, a Jag is unlikely to break down on a long distance trip. They are quite reliable and long distance driving puts the least stress on key components.
    "The legroom in a regular wheelbase XJ now is within half an inch of the amount offered by the pre-2004 long wheelbase version. But in addition, you have almost 2 and 1/2 inches more headroom."

THANK YOU. That is the exact info I was trying to determine. So, buying a newer XJ8 (which seem to make up 90% of what I see on the roads, the 8L, of all years, seem quite few) will give me the rear seat room of the older 8L, plus, even as short as I am, I had to duck to get into my friend's 2002 XJ8...

So, a 2005/2006 XJ8 will give the the dimensions (length) of the older 8L, plus the roofline is higher...sounds like a solution to me...

Now I can add this car to my never ending list of "possibilities", which may surpass five thousand...if I live to be 200, I may live long enough to whittle down the list...

PLUS: the 2006 is only 2 years old, and check the site of a local dealer, had them in the mid/upper $30s...another month or two, and the 2006 will be 3 years old, and the price may drop to the twenties...this could be nice...

Heck, if I ever actually BUY another car, two thirds of the posts on these topics will disappear, and 4 hosts may lose their jobs, simply because no one will be needed to read the "few" remaining posts...:):):):):):):)... :P ;)

Thanks, gregg, I needed those answers...
  • hulseboshulsebos Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 XJ VDP message center states "Config A B"
    Anybody any idea what that could mean? The manual says nothing about a possible message of that sort, nor does a Google search.

Thanks
    "hulsebos", off the top of my head, I believe it has to do with the trip odometer. You may want to select one of the trip functions, or refer again to the owner's manual, and see what they say about the trip function...
  • deadjagdeadjag Member Posts: 8
    Although this is an older posting, I have exactly the same problem with my 1999 XJ8. Runs fine from a cold start but after 10-15 miles develops 'restricted performance' computer message, runs rough, and feels like maybe one cylinder isn't firing. After cooling overnight, the message is gone but occurs again after driving 10-15 miles. Does anyone know the out come of 'pathdoc's' problem??
  • jaguarxj8ljaguarxj8l Member Posts: 2
    How do i change the battery for the original remote for 2000 Jag XJ8-L, Please advise me.
  • jaguarxj8ljaguarxj8l Member Posts: 2
    The dealer i bought the car said to use top grade gas, anybody know what will happen if i use the regular 87 grade?
  • Nothing bad per se will happen, except you will get a few less hp and slightly degraded gas mileage. Considering that the difference in cost between regular grade and premium is often no more than 20 cents, the savings are usually not worth it. Now, if you have the supercharged engine, I wouldn't use regular at all under any circumstances, but for naturally aspirated engines these days, the computer will take care of adjusting for a lower octane.
    I believe that it says that Premium is"required" not recommended or at least mine does. I wouldn't use the regular gas. The engine is designed to specs that require premium. It's up to you.
    Visit the nearest Radio Shack.
    If you don't like rattles in the trunk area, why would you provide rattles under the hood by using inferior fuel? ;)
  • It won't "rattle" and it is not inferior fuel. Regular grade is lower octane and therefore takes less energy to ignite. On older cars which required higher octane, you would get knock (and possibly serious damage) with the pre-ignition of lower octane. Current engines adjust to the octane they are fed. Those that are set up to use premium obtain their hp and mpg ratings using it. Use a lower octane and you will likely have less hp and slightly less mpg. That is the main reason it makes little sense to use it. You see no savings, and you have less power (which protects the engine from pre-ignition).

Supercharged engines are an exception, as the electronics may not be able to adequately adjust to an octane change under more extreme conditions.

On the other hand, most cars that take regular fuel are not set up to gain hp from using premium. Using premium when your vehicle calls for regular may net you less mpg, rendering premium the "inferior" fuel in that case.
    95 Thunderbird 4.6 V8 111000 miles

94 Lincoln Twn Car 4.6 141000 miles

Each runs better and quieter using Mid Grade or 89 Octane. My source for fuel does not inclue Ethenal either.
  • They probably do. Early 90s engines weren't as efficient at adjusting to octane changes.

You are fortunate BTW because here in WI it seems that all mid-grade gas has ethanol in it. Consequently, I avoid mid-grade.
  • bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,466
    You are undoubtedly correct that the engine will not be damaged by using regular fuel. But as hofiii noted, Jaguar says that premium fuel is 'required' which, in my mind, means that if you use regular you deserve what you get. Like hofiii, I go with premium; it is a Jag after all.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• Agreed. Why would anyone want to put regular in it? It is just good to know that if you have to use it for some reason, based on lack of available premium, fueling up along the side of the road, etc., you can do it without harming your Jag.
  • m4d_cowm4d_cow Member Posts: 1,491
    Can anyone tell me how much should I spend on an 06 CPO XJR? A dealer's listing it for "special price" $31060. Great deal or theres room for negotiation?
    Any significant problems w/ this model year I should be aware of?
    Thanks
  • Room for negotiation, but at least its a realistic start. Newer XJs have very good reliability.
  • m4d_cowm4d_cow Member Posts: 1,491
    Thanks gregg, can you tell me how much lower should I bargain for? I'm a bit confused as even Edmunds site quote it for almost 40k...