Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Jaguar XJ-Series

1495051525355»

Comments

• Options
    denhamdenham Member Posts: 76
    I just wanted to get back with you and find out if you found the problem?
  • Options
    Need help here as I have had no luck programing with advice I have found posted.
  • Options
    Pull the light stick back and hold, turn key position one and flash lights 4 times and push button on remote one time ( if more than one remote push each one time only). This worked for me on my 2001 XJ8.
    Good Luck!
    Dennis
  • Options
    tracy50tracy50 Member Posts: 10
    Hey Dennis, how's it going?
    Well, I guess the worse possible scenario with my Jag, is what happened. After finding out the worse possible news about my car, I finally found out what the initial noise was....It was my power steering pump! But that was the least of my problems, My mechanic found that out AFTER he had replaced the engine....yep, you heard me. It's still in the shop, but all I have to do now is buy the pump, and he should be through with it in a few more days. We both were just astonished to find out it was the engine because everything seemed ok. He said something about the difference in colors of antifreeze in different locations. Where you top it off looked great, but he said that somewhere else where it looked too fresh, when it shouldn't have and somewhere else it was looking real weak and diluted where it shouldn't have....not sure if any of this is making sense but he said the antifreeze was being blocked somewhere along the line and therefore the engine loss compression. The weird thing is that the car never ran hot. I couldn't understand about its mishaps because I had done the Carfax on the vehicle before I purchased it and all seemed well. I guess the previous owner could have found out where the car was headed, and decided to just get rid of it instead of repair it...that may be why the carfax report didn't show any work being done on it of any serious nature. Well, I'm through crying about all the money I am having to fork over...I'm just now waiting on it's return, and hopefully I will be able to get a few good years out of it.
    Wish me the best, and thanks for all your help!

Tracy
  • Options
    we1we1 Member Posts: 1
    looking at buying a used jaquar 1999 - 94K miles - but the listing says it needs an ABS module. how much does this typically cost? and any recommendations on getting it or staying away from it? it's a XJ8
  • Options
    What year grill fits 01 xj8? Been told takes 99 up, but my old 98 was sames as my 01 and is not the 96.97 the same up 03?
    Dennis
  • Options
    Hey Denham....how have you been. Well, the problem was the engine...it needed one :). Antifreeze wasn't going where it was suppose to go. Weird though. Car never indicated it was running hot.
    Thanks for all your help. I got the engine replaced and it's been running pretty good, up until just recently. Leaking antifreeze. Last week replaced that funny looking reservoir hose, the thermostat housing and a heater hose connector....all were leaking in that order. All seems well now and she's running smooth, but I can't get that low coolant light to go off, eventhough it's full. Makes me think again coolant is not going where it should. Car is not running hot and it's quiet as a mouse. I'm just a nervous nilly when it comes to that car, and I don't like being uncomfortable in it every time I get behind the wheel.
  • Options
    I'm with you gregg. I'm on a serious budget and I wouldn't put anything but premium in mine. I've got a 2000 XJ8L, and she's tempermental enough without pissing her off with inferior gas :). Just like that expensive Mobil 1 oil it requests. I hate paying for it, but my manual says put it in, and that's what I intend to do.
  • Options
    Check the float in the holding tank below the filling cap, it just maybe stuck down from being dry when you were working on the cooling system. A coat hanger often does wonders!
    Dennis
  • Options
    Going to replace rear shocks on my XJ8 after 87,000 miles, and wonder if anyone here has done this and can give advice? I like making things less difficult, and from what I read am looking for a more easy way?
    Dennis
  • Options
    christchurchchristchurch Member Posts: 125
    edited August 2013
    Question: Is it necessary to replace the timing chain tensioners on a 1996 XJ 6 ? Was the tensioners issue only with the v8 which replaced the 6 ?
    Advice ?
  • Options
    V8 Engine had this problem from 1998/2001.
  • Options
    christchurchchristchurch Member Posts: 125
    Thank you !
    The v8 issue was well known in Jag circles but I wondered if as an engine ages that even the "bullet proof" straight 6 might need this maintanance.
    (I do hear a "slight slapping noise" on starting crank.. though not after start up... so wondered if it might be the timing chain slapping. What do you think ?
  • Options
    If you have less than 100.000 miles or not more than 150.000 I would not spend the time or money . There is a old saying if it is not broken do not fix it, and this saying yet makes one often wonder as we try and look ahead.
    Dennis
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter would like to speak to a recent Jaguar buyer who likes what Tata Motors, the owner of Jaguar, is doing with the brand. If this is you, please send your daytime contact information to PR@edmunds.com no later than Monday, September 9, 2013 at 10 a.m. PT/1 p.m. ET.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    Researching XJ8, from 2006-2009...in reviews, only the 2007 shows a highway mpg of 27, most other years show 24, 25...what might be the difference in 2007, compared to the other years?
  • Options
    If I was to purchase an XJ, between 2005-2009, would I be able to buy an extended warranty backed by Jaguar, or is the car too old? I would not want one of those fly-by-night companies, but thru jaguar might be worth it, say a 1 or 2 year warranty...anybody have any idea?
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Car is probably too old for a factory extension. Most companies cut off at 5 years 60K, like Jaguar. A few go to 6.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    @Mr_Shiftright

Assuming I am looking at XJ's with 75000 to 110000 miles, assuming proper maintenance records, can I still expect the engines to make it to 200,000 miles, or am I in the danger zone at 100,000? I ask because I remember that they used to say that Mercedes was barely broken in at 100K, and I want to know if the Jags after Ford's improvements are also making 200K or more...thanks...