Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volkswagen Beetle Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    aerodynamicistaerodynamicist Member Posts: 1
    I have just bought a used 2000 Beetle and I have been having problems shifting away from PARK. I have stepped on the brake and moved the steering wheel but I still was not able to shift.
    HELP appreciated.
  • Options
    lotus7lotus7 Member Posts: 3
    Am thinking of buying a 2002 GLS. What is the deal with the radio. Does it come with a CD player or not? If so, where is it-in the trunk? Also hearing that the sound system is not so good. What gives with that? Any other problems that I should be concerned with? Thanks
  • Options
    8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    CD player, no. The 6-disc changer is a dealer installed accesory, to be installed in the trunk.

The Monsoon system isn't that great for 2002. Or so I've been told.
  • Options
    lotus7lotus7 Member Posts: 3
    Any idea how much the dealer will charge for the changer? Or what the dealer actually pays for it on an invoice? It seems much easier to buy a Jetta or Passat than deal with this.
  • Options
    sailing216sailing216 Member Posts: 98
    just bought a 02 and wasn't about to give my money to the dealer. Ebay baby. Dealer wanted $390 for the unit and $100 to install it. $490 bucks and then tax, I don't think so. I ordered one from ebay which is a VW factory OEM changer for his "asking price" of $265. All the changers were going within 15 bucks, so I got mine fast (only $8 bucks shipping). His email address is tcmalcom@aol.com. Excellent shipping and packaging. 3-yr warranty. No tax (internet purchase). Installation was easy. Detailed Directions in the box. If you have a drill and screwdriver, you could honestly do it in 10-15 minutes. I broke a drill bit, so pre-drilling for the screws was a pain, all it all just under an hour. The directions don't say to pre-drill the holes, but you have to. Line up the changer where you want it to be (front left corner right next to the "plug-in" wiring), drill your 4 screw holes, fasten changer, plug in, done. Here's his other info (this is not a panasonic unit with adapter, nor re-furbished or used). I've been burned a few times on ebay, so this has been researched and recommended. Details:
    ----------

Item Title: VW VOLKSWAGEN CD CHANGER 98-02 NEW IN BOX
    Item #: 1334688291
    Item Price: 265.00
    Quantity: 1
  • Options
    Here is the website so you don't have to deal with the changer (I found it about 24 hours after I bought the changer---Doh). I planned on swapping the monsoon stereo for a MP3 player, but the faceplate is oval and I knew it would be a problem to find a good plate to fit a Din stereo. Here is the website for that faceplate. The changer is nice that it just plugs in, but it's in the trunk and takes up space. http://www.aiwana.com/interior.htm

Have a Passat with VR6, in-laws have new Jetta with Vr6, and Beetle is the most fun. Jetta is faster, and Passat is roomy, your choice---electrical on all cars is bad, get an extended warranty! Beetle turbo is a blast to drive, wish the wife drove stick and the Turbo S came in exciting colors, our new snap orange turns heads. I'm also putting in a turbo boost controller that will get the 150hp 1.8t upto 194hp when I want it. Turn it off and it has the normal 150hp. very nice, but make sure you get the re-inforced valve. http://freedomdesign.com/

Enjoy.
  • Options
    imariquinnimariquinn Member Posts: 96
    and hit a deep pothole. Put the spare on, now I need a new rim, hubcap and tire. Any suggestions on where to look for this without being gouged by the dealer? Online salvage?? I looked on ebay but could not find the same hubcap. Thanks for your help!

Christine
  • Options
    www.newbeetle.org

People are always putting on new wheels and looking to get rid of their stock.
  • Options
    rodgbreidrodgbreid Member Posts: 1
    The owner's manuel specifies premium unleaded fuel for the 1.8Turbo/Beetle 2000. With gas prices starting to rise, can an octane rating of 89 instead of 91 be used without harming the engine or affecting performance (regular driving)?
  • Options
    Yes you can use 89 octane safely, but it affects performance a bit.
  • Options
    smbfujarsmbfujar Member Posts: 7
    Have a '98 New Beetle GLS, 2.0L w/automatic, 18,200 miles. I'm not primary driver, but I've got it for a few days, to listen for engine/transmission noises.

Primary driver had a strange experience 2 days ago. Said the engine revved high and made a lot of noise, but barely crept forward. I've had it since then, but haven't been able to get it to repeat that behavior. But, I wonder if the following is normal.

With tranny in Drive, cruising down the highway at 65 mph, the tach says 3,000RPM. My '97 Camry with a 2.2L automatic would be cruising around 2,500RPM, and wouldn't sound buzzy, as this Beetle does.

Again, I'm not the primary driver, so I don't know if the Beetle just doesn't get out (on the highway, that is) enough, or if that buzz at 3K is normal. Hey, is 3K at 65 mph normal? If anyone is a mechanic, I'd appreciate your feedback.
  • Options
    standrastandra Member Posts: 1
    Any news on this problem? I am having trouble with my 98. Help appreciated!
  • Options
    lyssa77lyssa77 Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 GLS Turbo has started making a ticking noise from the engine area. You can only really hear the ticking from inside the car. The ticking is louder at times than others. I have taken it to the dealer 3x already and it is still not fixed. They adjusted the timing belt the 1st time. After that I was told it was a belt but it wasn't a big deal and not to worry about it. It is a big deal to me because I am not sure what it is and it is annoying plus it is going to hurt my resell chances. My car has 20,000 miles, I have the oil changed regularly and use high Octane gas. Has anyone else had this problem or might know what is causing it?
  • Options
    yensid356yensid356 Member Posts: 2
    Tomorrow morning I am headed to pick up my New Beetle 2002 GLS, in Double Yellow, w/black leather interior. My dealer had difficulties finding the exact car I wanted, so to maintain the black interior I upgraded to Leather. My dealer was to perform a swap w/another dealer for the model w/the upgrades I wanted.

Here's the problem, I stopped by today to check on progress and they gave me a sneak peek of my future baby. When I opened her up, she had the black leather interior indeed but her door panels were GREY!?! When I questioned my dealer they told me that specific color combination (DY/BL) came w/grey panels, essentially all double yellow's had grey door panels. I've had some trouble w/this dealership and I think they are blowing smoke in my face. Can anyone help me. My time is running out b/f I pick her up. Any and all help appreciated!!!
  • Options
    raven18raven18 Member Posts: 33
    yensid356, I believe that the black interiors do have gray door panels, and also the center console will be gray. I did however read a post on the new beetle new/info thread (hatchbacks)that 2003 models would no longer have gray interiors (post 541.) However you could confirm, or answer your question by visiting a dealership that has a 2002 new beetle to see if they have any with black leather or even black cloth. I think the new beetle turbo s has a special order paint/interior scheme. Hope this helps, good luck.
  • Options
    yensid356yensid356 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for your info. I guess part of my frustration stems from my miscommunication from my dealer and the information I received from VW of A. I called them w/my question (pretending I was still in the research phase) and they told me, black interiors have black door panels, grey have grey. Playing dumb, I asked if I could get the combo since I really liked the look of it on 'my friends car'. They told me the cars leave the factory that way, but the person I was speaking w/ was not too informed on the New Beetle and maybe I should speak to the dealership I was considering. This lead to my frustration b/c, if VW of A doesn't have the info, then what type of company am I buying into? Why should I be forced to turn to my friends of the web, who are not proff. who deal w/this everyday? They are not inspiring confidence! This is my dream car and I want it to be right. I don't mind waiting for what I want, and I don't want to settle. If I hear from someone that they have a Double Yellow w/grey door panels and black seats, I'll take delivery, (if I feel the dealer is not lying) if not then I'm rejecting the car. I will have wasted the week haggling and bargaining for my dream car, but again, I don't want to settle. Still searching for a definite answer. Thanks again! Maybe a VW 2002 NB owner?
  • Options
    eiblingeibling Member Posts: 3
    Anyone ever replace a fog lamp bulb on a new beetle?
    I was told by the dealer it was a $300 job!
    Thanks for any references....
  • Options
    www.vwvortex.com

Go to forums, then Volkswagen, then new beetle.

Run a search, (recent discussions, then also archived discussions).

it should help.

It uses H3 bulbs also.
  • Options
    alpine325ialpine325i Member Posts: 209
    I'm not 100% sure, but I think that the GL (base model) has the black door panels with the black cloth int, ????. I have a 2002 GLX Turbo, Black with Black leather interior. The door panels, headliner, console, and the bottom half of the dashboard is Light Grey. I think it goes great with the Black exterior :o)
  • Options
    denverledenverle Member Posts: 1
    I bought my wife a 2000 NB tdi 5spd standard and she averaged 49 mpg on her work 45mile 70mph commute. She blew out her left knee and couldn't clutch so we traded for a 2002 tdi automatic.
    When she does really good she gets 38mpg, mostly she averages 31 to 35. no joy from dealer. Anyone else have this problem??
  • Options
    The automatic TDI's take a nice hit in fuel economy.

The window sticker for the fuel economy does say:

City: 34 mpg
    Highway: 42

Compare to the 5-speed manual:
    City: 42 mpg
    Highway: 49
  • Options
    moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    The mpg on sticker is 34 city and 44 highway, not 42 highway.
  • Options
    searchlightsearchlight Member Posts: 5
    I say why in the world would anyone buy a new beetle NOW!!! The electrical, transmission problems are so HUGE !!!! Just read these posts for a small dose of reality, then ask a reliable dealer. They are lying if they say they will not know you personally in under a year. I fell in this trap and see soooo many of the same issues I had. I wish I had read this before, well I knew of consumer reports rating the electrical poorly. I naively assumed:) they would fix these in the next yr. HA!
    Please whatever you do don't but a new beetle!!!
    Make VW responsible for the piece of crap we all have put up with. This is insane.
    Don't buy it, you will be very sorry and hugely dissapointed.
  • Options
    cosmos3cosmos3 Member Posts: 2
    We have over $1200 in electrical ,etc - dealer says that is the way it is!!! We will never buy another one - used to drive Rabbit Diesels - they were a lot better than this even though they did rust out!!!

Have a Ford Windstar with 170,000 miles on it and haven't spent more than $400 for repairs other than routine maintaince!!
  • Options
    LanceL99LanceL99 Member Posts: 39
    I just read your post regarding the "ticking" noise in your turbo engine. My 2001 Audi A4 (same engine except the Audi had 20 more horsepower) had that problem. It ended up being the camshaft adjuster. They had to take the block off of the engine to replace it. Mine had about 20K miles at that time. If you drive with it like that for too long, the noise will get worse and it might damage the engine (according to what my dealer told me).
  • Options
    vlau1vlau1 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know the cost for a new or used 2002 beetle's rear dumper? I hit a pole when I park and is a leased vehicle. Can I compare the prices from any websites?
  • Options
    so where do you live?

I might know of a place for you.
  • Options
    chetdudechetdude Member Posts: 5
    I recently purchased a 99 New Beetle (40k miles) for my daughter. It was running fine (fun to drive, girls love it) until the engine compartment fuse box literally "melted." While driving, my daughter said the hot engine light indicators came on etc and smoke started billowing from the engine. My independent Euro mechanic said VW told him this was common. I have never seen a fuse box "melt." (one of the three fuses runs the radiator fan, so when the fuse melted the fan shut down) Any similar stories out there?
  • Options
    rjfrankelrjfrankel Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 New Beetle (with a the 1.8 Turbo engine) is suddenly having clutch problems. (Started by slipping when trying to accelerate quickly while in gear, now has little power up hills) I ONLY have 29,500 miles on it, which means it is past warrantee. The dealer told me it would be $1500-1600 to replace, which is outrageous.

My lease is March 16, and I am not keeping this car, so I if necessary, I will go to a discount place, which estimated $700 to replace it -- I only need it to last until March 17, after all. Still, does anyone know about anything else I could do? This dealer has replaced several things for me post-warrantee for no charge calling it "Good Will Repairs" (brake pads wearing unevenly, moon roof sliding door thing, etc), so I figured those things broke frequently.

I'm thinking of calling Volkswagen directly, although I doubt I'll get much satisfaction there.

Is there any documentation about clutch problems in these cars? Anyone have any ideas for recourse for me?

(FYI: my last clutch, which was the clutch I learned to drive standard on, lasted 98,000 miles (in a Corolla), so I KNOW it is not my ability to drive using a standard transmission. I do live in San Francisco, but 2/3 of my driving is city driving, and still, 29.5 thousand miles is an outrage!)

Help!
  • Options
    It's not quite ability to drive...but how you drive it is the thing, and I don't know how you drive it either.

I've heard of people replacing clutches at 10,000 and 20,000 miles...of course they were beating the (insert expletative) out of the clutch.

I don't think there any other recourse except for clutch replacement at an independent mechanic ($700 sounds like the right figure, standard pricing is 6 hours plus parts, and possibly machining the flywheel). When you turn the car back in, they'll will charge you a huge amount.
  • Options
    umpireumpire Member Posts: 12
    I have a 2000 GLS 2.0 liter New Beetle. I love to drive this car.

However, I hate to own it!

The hatchback has never worked correctly, after having it "fixed" four times.

My driver's side window switch has broken twice (fixed once under warranty), and the plastic clip that held the cable to the window broke (dealer replaced plastic with steel on BOTH windows at no charge).

The O2 sensor has failed twice. Once was covered under warranty, once under recall. But then the air flow meter failed. It smelled just like an O2 sensor failure--exhaust laden with fuel. $320 part and $64 per hour labor.

That was about two weeks ago. Today, the check engine light came on again, and that old, familiar smell wafted through my nostrils.

Looks like another trip to the dealer. While they have treated me well (Green in Springfield, IL), I hate taking off work and seeing my car fall apart.

I had planned to buy a Passat after giving this car to my son. That plan may have to change.
  • Options
    davidcalhoun1davidcalhoun1 Member Posts: 1
    My wife's car battery will no longer hold a load. VW wants $200 to replace it ($125 for the battery and $75 for the labor). Apparently, it is difficult to replace. Has anyone done this? What did you have to remove to get to the battery? Thanks.
  • Options
    devartemisdevartemis Member Posts: 2
    I've been attracted to the New Beetle as I first saw it, and have since decided on a GLS TDI as my next purchase.

I've read through various websites and owners' comments, and haven't found much problems being said on GLS TDI. People have reports much electrical and engine problems on the gas model.

Does anyone ever have any problem with this model besides the very expensive lightbulb change? I really would love to purchase the model, but is now indecisive because so many people complain about the electrical and engine problems in the gas model.
  • Options
    maggs1maggs1 Member Posts: 5
    I am having a big problem. Can anyone help? While driving (30, 40, 50 mph), the car stalls for a half second and then restarts or it stalls altogether. Then I can't get it started for several minutes. The fuel dealer uses any necessary additives, so I've been told by the garage that it's not the fuel. But, he doesn't know what it is, so now I have to go the the dealer - BIG PROBLEM. Can anyone give me a hint as to what this could be so that I can go to the dealer armed with some info? Thanks.
  • Options
    I have had many, many problems with my TDI, but most of the problems have not been with the engine. See my post right before yours regarding the engine stall. Other problems I've had - replace both window regulators, fix sunroof, install new AC (compressor and clutches), replace window switch, replace temperature sensor, replace battery. Mind you, none of these repairs is cheap. In fact, I had to replace the plastic noise cover on the bottom of the car and it cost me $250 just for the part. Had the Beetle been a gas engine, the part was $50. You know, I just can't remember all the problems right now. I'd have to go the the car and get the receipts. But I will tell you, that I get 48-50 mpg. I will see what this new problem will cost me and then I'm getting rid of this lemon and going back to Japanese cars.
  • Options
    I am having a big problem. Can anyone help? While driving (30, 40, 50 mph), the car stalls for a half second and then restarts or it stalls altogether. Then I can't get it started for several minutes. The fuel dealer uses any necessary additives, so I've been told by the garage that it's not the fuel. But, he doesn't know what it is, so now I have to go the the dealer - BIG PROBLEM. Can anyone give me a hint as to what this could be so that I can go to the dealer armed with some info? Thanks.
  • Options
    revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    In addition to the feedback here, you may also want to solicit feedback in our VW TDI Models discussion.

Also, try plugging your vehicle into Edmunds' Maintenance Guide to see if you can find any TSBs (Technical Service Bulletins) that might be related to your vehicle problem. Good luck, and please return to this discussion to keep us posted on your situation.

Revka

Hatchbacks & Wagons Host

• Options
    The stalling problem I had turned out to be the Power Supply Relay. $417. Done by VW Dealer. Has been running great since (knock on wood).

While driving (30, 40, 50 mph), the car stalls for a half second and then restarts or it stalls altogether. Then I can't get it started for several minutes. The fuel dealer uses any necessary additives, so I've been told by the garage that it's not the fuel. But, he doesn't know what it is, so now I have to go the the dealer - BIG PROBLEM.
  • Options
    Thanks for reporting back with a solution. I'm sure others passing through here will appreciate the information. Happy motoring!

Revka

Hatchbacks & Wagons Host

• Options
    taterbugtaterbug Member Posts: 2
    I own a 1998 Blue Beetle. I have had so many problems with that car. I was driving down the interstate and my speedometer started jumping from 60-70, then to zero! I called my dealer(which is an hour and a half away). My mom and I took it down there. They didn't know what was wrong with it. I think we took it back about 6 times in two months. They replaced all the stuff in the speedometer. It took them TWO MONTHS to figure out that it was the gear sensing unit that triggered the speedometer. They couldn't fix it without replacing the transmission. I'm so glad my dad invested in that extended warranty It saved us about $5000. My beetle doesn't have great handling either. I don't really like it any more. I've also had to replace the window-roller-downer things.

I'm now looking into getting a Mini Cooper S.
  • Options
    blue_bug_18blue_bug_18 Member Posts: 5
    Anyone have a sway bar on their New Beetle and if so how do you like it? I understand rear is best and Neuspeed has a 25mm and 28mm- is the extra 3mm really worth the extra money? I'm not road racing, just driving on curvy roads.
  • Options
    bernoberno Member Posts: 1
    I am sorry to say this would have to be the last. I own a '99 Beetle (diesel engine). Put it in for the oil change today and again, a whopping $2500 worth of repairs. It really has been never ending. Do I have other options if I want a diesel, but please not Volkswagens I cannot afford the repairs!!!
  • Options
    fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    Volkswagen/Audi in Massive Recall

More than 850,000 Volkswagen and Audi vehicles --
    about 530,000 sedans and hatchbacks sold in the
    U.S. alone -- are being recalled for a faulty
    ignition coil. Volkswagen announced the recall last
    week, noting that the problem could cause spark
    plug failure and rough running, which is usually
    indicated by the vehicle's "Check Engine" light.
    Most of the cars affected carry the VW corporate
    1.8-liter turbo four (which includes the Audi A4
    and TT coupe; the VW Golf, GTI, Jetta, New Beetle
    and Passat), the 2.8-liter VR6 and the 3.0-liter
    V6 engines, as well as the VW Passat's W8.
  • Options
    So you and others are aware, it's not an official NHTSA recall at this point. VW announced that they will be (voluntarily) replacing all the coils.

Btw, anyone effected by this problem may also be interested in the VW Ignition Coil Problems discussion on our Maintenance & Repair board.

Revka
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Host
  • Options
    mill656mill656 Member Posts: 1
    My daughter just purchased a 99 Beetle GLS, when she starts the car the indicator goes from red to blue, until the car warms up. The manual describes this as the engine being cool and/or an engine malfunction. Is this normal? prior to purchasing the vehicle when we test drove the vehicle and when we picked it up, the vehicle had already been started, so it was never noticed.
  • Options
    lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    If you mean the blue coolant light stays on for about 5 minutes or until the car warms up, than yes, that is a normal function. Since the Beetle doesn't have a temperature gauge, the blue light is letting the driver know that the engine is still cold. If it doesn't turn off once the car is warmed up, than that is a problem. Hope that helps.
  • Options
    sj312sj312 Member Posts: 1
    does it go on when spoiler pops up at 90 mph?
  • Options
    90 mph overseas...

I believe here in the US...it's 45 mph
  • Options
    tjm1198tjm1198 Member Posts: 10
    My sister is a 16 year old just starting to drive & she really wants a 1998 Beetle w/ a 5 speed. I was just wondering what anyone had to say about this make/year of car? Is it a good car to use a first car? Trouble free? Any info is great.
  • Options
    lmendettalmendetta Member Posts: 4
    We purchased our vehicle on March 7,2003 and since that time we have been experiencing problems. First the engine light kept coming on and the volkswagon dealer did a self-diagnosis log which showed problems with the throttle valve drive and secondary air injection system. They got that fixed where the engine light stopped coming on but then the epc light keeps coming on periodically shutting down the main brain and losing power. They haven't been able to determine the problem causing the epc light to keep coming on. Any suggestions. Also told that the coils aren't replaced unless we experience the problems stated in message 107. Thank you for any help and look forward to seeing great information on this site.