Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Care and Maintenance

Comments

• mgrmgr Member Posts: 40
    Yes, I received one. Pretty good marketing. However, I go by the owners manual.
  • bjk2001bjk2001 Member Posts: 358
    mjawt:

What free maintenance coupon? I want free oil change too.

bjk
  • redly_oneredly_one Member Posts: 122
    I just rolled 10,000 miles and the maintanance required light on my dash is on (friendly reminder that it's time to get my 10,000 mile screw job $90 oil change and tire rotation)

Anyway, how do you get this light to shut off?

Also, anyone in the Indianapolis area interested in an 01 Civic EX sedan, gold/tan, auto 10,500 miles?

thanks
    redly_one:

Procedure should be in your Owner's manual. Page 65 of 2002 Civic Owner Manual:
    1. Turn off the engine
    2. Press and hold the select/reset button in the instrument panel, turn the ignition switch ON.
    3. Hold the button until the indicator resets (~ 10 seconds).

bjk
  • rupprruppr Member Posts: 3
    Recently bought the above at a estate sale. Has been used as a 'toad' behind an RV. Milage says 97,000 but since the speedometer turns when being towed, who knows what it really is but it is a creampuff.

Anyway, I'm missing the point, the car does not have a owners manual. What is the correct weight oil for this model? Also what weight is used in the manaul transmission?

Many thanks for the help,

ruppr
  • rayrockrayrock Member Posts: 14
    wow! these town halls are informative. after years of reading how great civics are and how the '01 is new and improved. i got one. its had rattles and squeaks since the first day. just checked and you guessed it its canadian. this on top of finding out the '02 civic has new steering and suspension to fix the '01 missengineered tendacy to float and wander on the highway. i'm pretty pissed but from now on i'm checking edmund's posts, points of origin, and especially other makes. you can't buy on brand name alone
  • bloop22bloop22 Member Posts: 2
    I own a 92 civic and the manual calls for 3.5 qt. of 5W30 engine oil and 1.9qt of 10W40 oil for the 5 speed transmission. Both service and owners manuals are available from helminc.com. I purchased the service manual for my car and it was the best money I have spent.
  • rupprruppr Member Posts: 3
    Bloop22,
    Many thanks for the feedback! I'll contact them.

ruppr
  • nihao4587nihao4587 Member Posts: 43
    after seeing a whole lot of other people are having the same, or even worse, problems on their 2k2 civics, i should have had a peaceful mind by now, i wish. i just could not think it over that if canada and usa can make the last generation civic top the notch, how could they make this "namely the worst generation of all" civic so bad? i would rather think it is a design problem, but the cold fact tells me that the point of origin does play a big role. before i bought mine, i did not even know that there are still decent civics imported from japan. lately, i cruised around the online forum of hyundai elantra/santa fe, toyota corolla/camry/celia, mazda protege/626, as well as honda civic/accord. as you may know, corolla and camry sold in usa are almost 100% made in North America. if you have not heard anything bad about corolla, it is because it is made from the best plant in the states. in contrast, the new camry got tons of complains, which is worse than our civics, not mentioning the worst of all altima that is imported from mexico. the celica is still 100% made in japan, i could not find any bad thing except complains about its weak a/c. if you happen to know recent hyundai cars, they are no worse than u.s. hondas, if not better (but remember they are way cheaper). the most obvious example is protege/626. i did not even consider mazda before since it is under ford. but to date, protege is next car if it will be still imported from japan like it is now. look at their forums, 626's is so quiet because no one is buying it and the few problems are about problems. then the protege's, thousands of praises except the typical engine rattle (which goes away after engine gets normal temperature) on the current model. the feedback is almost perfect. how can i not think that protege is simply a better car than the civic i am having. if ONLY the build quality is on par, honda civic should be still one of the advanced and best small cars on the world. i am from asia, all my friends there are buying civics and corollas. they dont even know too well about the mazda 323 (the protege here). if honda japan can product top quality car, why not american honda?
  • rayrockrayrock Member Posts: 14
    the '02 civic (not '01) is well designed for point a to point b travel but its lost its sports car on the cheap image. the old civics,integras and the new protege rule on the sports car club races. i believed the magazine hype and bought the '01. i won't buy a first year production of any car and wait for the forums of actual buyers to reveal the truly great cars.
  • bahadirbahadir Member Posts: 1
    I love this car. I bought in 1999 when it had 22K miles in it after a lease customer. Took really good care of it with regular mx and now with 73K miles it created no problems whatsoever. The car has been through a lot , including 70 miles /day commutes, sitting idle for 7 months and a 3100 cross country drive.

I wish I was able to afford a new EX sedan for wife.
  • amber31amber31 Member Posts: 3
    I love my honda civic coupe 1.5 lsi. has been looked after with full service history. however, as soon as she warms up she starts pinking. been back to dealers, had her connected to dealears machine everything checks out o.k had full service including belt. timing o.k But still pinking. has anyone got any ideas why? i need help?
  • tcttct Member Posts: 2
    I've been reading everyone's helpful tips as I consider buying a 2002 Civic EX sedan, which would be my first Honda. Sounds like I'd better make sure I get one that was made in Japan... my question is, how can I know for sure? A salesperson telling me it was made in Japan won't convince me.
    Another question-- I called the 800# on the Civic brochure, where you supposedly can call for all info, and I simply asked whether the Civics require premium gas or the cheap stuff. I was told that info was not available. Would someone please enlighten me?
    Thanks
  • jfigueroa1jfigueroa1 Member Posts: 209
    i just bought a civic lx 2d a/t under invoice i was not looking for it but,after thinking for a while and looking at it,I bought it. as for where they come from as per my window sticker:

the vin# start with 1HG
    PARTS CONTENT INFORMATION
    FOR VEHICLES IN THIS CAR LINE
    US/Canadian Parts Content:70%
    Major Sources of Foreign Parts Content
    JAPAN 20%
    NOTE: Parts content does not include final
    assembly,distribution or other non-parts cost.
    FOR THIS VEHICLE
    Final assembly point:
    EAST LIBERTY,OHIO,USA.
    Country of origin: Engine: U.S.A.
    Transmission:JAPAN.

As per 2002 owners manual:
    Gasoline
    Your Honda is designed to operate on unleaded gasoline with a pump octane of 86 or higher. use of a lower octane gasoline can cause a persistent,heavy metallic rapping noise in the engine that can lead to mechanical damage.
    Greetings from sunny miami
    Look for VIN starts with "J"H.. J is made in Japan!
  • sidious6688sidious6688 Member Posts: 80
    The civic needs an oil change every 10,000 miles or 5000 under severe driving. I called my local honda dealer. The maintenance guy told me not to waste my time or money before 10000 miles unless I really abused the car, especially for the first oil change. I've had the car for 5000 miles (5 months). I intend to wait until 10000 miles. The only thing you have to watch is that this is such a long interval, you might want to personally check the oil as for me its going to be almost a year before I get an oil change!
  • olsoneerolsoneer Member Posts: 1
    I have a '95 Civic DX coupe 5 speed with 162000 miles on it. I have owned the car since new and have not had to replace a thing beyond normal maintenance items. Very recently, the idle started to fall and rise to a rhythm, and I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to diagnose from O2 sensor, EGR valve, or mass airflow sensor as being the problem ?
    Has anyone used K&N filter on Civic? Any HP improvement? Thanks!
  • thedelimanthedeliman Member Posts: 15
    hi,

does anybody have *any* idea why my (May) new 2002 civic LX has a very sluggish ignition??? Occasionally, when i start the car, it would crank for over four seconds (a LONG time; try counting next time you start your car) before starting. Some times, it gets so bad that I have to switch the car off, and then back on again.

of course, the dealership is NO help, since it's under warranty (and they don't get to screw me by the hour). "We can't replicate the problem unless you bring it back *as the problem is happening*," says one genius at the repair shop.

I've been to 2 separate dealerships, with the same answers. ANY IDEAS???

thanks!
    -karl
    (if you could cc: a copy to karlkwok@rocketmail.com that would be great!)
  • jfigueroa1jfigueroa1 Member Posts: 209
    try using a good shape set take a good look at what size the phillips is and use the right size, press in and turn.
    Greetings from sunny Miami.
  • srockrsrockr Member Posts: 79
    I have a suggestion that I hope will exlain some of the problems of the newer Civics. If everyone (whether or not they have had problems with their Civic) would post the country that their Civics were made (USA, JAPAN, CANADA, ETC.) it sure would help clear up some of the confusion as to whether or not the place of origin is the reason for their problems.

I am beginning to think that the only newer Civic to buy is made in Japan.

What does everyone think?
  • weathermanbob1weathermanbob1 Member Posts: 17
    Hello. Has anyone ever replaced there own oxygen sensor. And if so did you use a dealer or a OE part from Autozone for example? And did replacing it fix the check engine light being on? The sensor computer at 2 different autozones indicated that the oxygen sensor was the problem. Is there anything major that i have to look out for when replacing it? It looks pretty simple since it is right up front. There is a socket set I am going to loan out from atozone so that will help with getting it off. Any comments will be greatly appreciated. The part is 80 plus tax from autozone. 225 plus 100 ish for labor and such from the dealer so I am going to try and do it myself
  • redrockbunnyredrockbunny Member Posts: 18
    Just a note to reassure everyone that, the country or factory of manufacture of Civics really is NOT a indicator of whether one has a flawless car or a poorly slapped together one. Our 2001 Honda Civic EX's VIN number starts out: 1HGEM. I don't know where it was made, as I cannot find a guide to the VIN numbers. However, it was not made in the coveted Japan facility, and I assume it was made in perhaps OHIO or USA. The point of all this is: the car is flawless, we have never had any unusual problems with it. The car has perfomed flawlessly since the day we watched it unloaded from the truck. It starts on the second or third crank everytime, it cruises beautifully, and gets great mileage. It is ultra-dependable, and is NOT fraught with rattles or defects! I have never felt it was "slapped" together or produced with anything other than the upmost in quality control and care! So you see folks, NOT made in Japan, but still the same quality! We love our Civic, and would buy another anyday! Hope this helps those that feel they need to scour the lots for Japan produced vehicles, don't fall into the "rumor" trap. Honda isn't the most trouble free vehicle produced in the world with the most innovative design for nothing. If they made as many lemons as appear to be reported here, they would not be so very coveted by consumers.
  • alyssazmomalyssazmom Member Posts: 142
    *applause*

Carrie ~2002 Honda Civic (US made) EX Sedan in Eternal Blue Pearl
  • c130airlifterc130airlifter Member Posts: 2
    For those of you who have older model Civic's (early 90's) where do you find parts for them? I've tried the dealer but if they have them, they want an arm and a leg for it. I've tried a few places on the net but I'm not sure who, if anyone, to order from.
    Case in point, I'm looking right now to replace the weatherstripping on the trunk, dealer can order it (exorbitanat fee) or try to find it online (almost impossible). Salvage yards have a few but there in worse shape than what I've got.
    So what do I do?
    I took my daughter's 02 Civic in to get first oil change @ 5030 miles. Service adviser at my local dealer told me that 02 Civic uses synthetic blend oil. They suggests to change @ every 7500 miles which is between Severe driving 5k and Normal driving 10k interval. I was 2500 miles too early for my first oil change.
  • theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    I've had good experiences finding parts for a '91 CRX through Hparts.com. You can look up the cost of a part if you have the part number and they also have an email service where you can describe what you're looking for and they'll quote you a price. I've found their prices to be much cheaper than a dealer and about average for the internet.

Good luck.
  • gregoryc1gregoryc1 Member Posts: 764
    My wife has a Honda Civic, and I have a Honda Accord. Both cars are great. They are serviced every 3,000 miles by the selling Honda dealer,(Oil chanege & filter). Both vehicles are 4 cylinders and we run both on 92 octane fuel. Being an old mechanic who still remembers when fuel contained a lubricant,(lead), I run some Marvel Mystery Oil in the fuel, 4 ounces of Marvel to each 10 gallons of fuel. This product is "ok" for both the oxygen sensor and the converter. A lubricant in the fuel, is very important for the valve guides, the free operation of the piston rings in the grooves of the pistons, and the fuel system components. I also run this product in the fuel of my marine engines, (inboards & outboards). The engines run VERY quiet and VERY smooth. If you decide to use some Marvel Oil in the fuel, put it into the tank just before you fill up with fuel. The incoming fuel will mix the product in the tank. You can purchase this product at Pep Boys Auto Stores or other supply outlets. -----Just my opinion. ----Greg
  • crazygrrrlcrazygrrrl Member Posts: 85
    I just bought a 2003 Civic LX and I have a question about the break in period that is not mentioned in the owner's manual.

Is it advisable to vary my driving speed for the first 600 miles? (Most of my driving is done on the freeway and I like to use the cruise control.)

The manual says to just not brake hard and don't accellerate too fast.

Does anyone know?

Thanks.
  • rivasmmmrivasmmm Member Posts: 5
    I read on another discussion board that you should not even use the cruise control until after the break-in period. Even if you drive mainly on the freeway, it's almost impossible not to vary speed and RPM, even if just a little bit. I have an 03 LX coupe and the 600 miles passes by real quick. You're better off just not using the cruise until after the 600 miles. My car is phenomenal now and the cruise is a dream. In my opinion, you should just wait and reap the benefits later.

-Michael
  • crazygrrrlcrazygrrrl Member Posts: 85
    I'll take your advice.

I'm kind of surprised that the Honda manual didn't mention it. I remember that both of my previous cars had a special break in period, and both owners manuals mentioned that I should not drive the same speed for any amount of time.
  • jgronquistjgronquist Member Posts: 1
    My '94 civic lx has performed virtually flawlessly ever since I purchased it. Recently the gas tank cover stopped closing. Given that the car has 151k, I'm hesitant to even ask the dealer if it can be fixed and what it would cost. Anybody else had this problem? Is it expensive/difficult to fix?

Thanks,

Jim
    My dealership suggested that I break in my car during the whole 3000 miles before first oil change, which I will. Makes sense. Love the car and don't want to take any chances.

Have not tried the cruise control yet. Will wait that out until breakin period is done.

As far as gas cover not closing I would certainly ask about it. All they can do is quote you a price. May not be too bad.
  • jholdridjholdrid Member Posts: 2
    I have been told by a couple of mechanics recently that my 1993 Civic LX Sedan needs to have the CV boots replaced. I was wondering what a good price to have this done would be? Also, is there any other work that should be done at the same time.
    Sounds like you really try to give your Hondas the right care. But as this is a forum, I feel obligated to state the other side of the issue.

Changing your oil at 3000 miles is overkill and environmentally wasteful. It also is totally in contrast with the "green" design Honda is trying to accomplish with these vehicles. The only gain is being made by your dealer, he is making a bundle, as he knows Honda does not advise changing oil that often. (maybe you are telling him to do it at 3k, but he does know better) A lot of dealers have made up their own rules to try to rake in the extra dough for their high overhead. Many dealers say change your oil every 3750 miles for Severe service. This is ludicrous and they know it. It is also irresponsible. The best way to service a Honda is follow the owners manual. Severe service: at 5000 miles, otherwise change your oil at 10000 miles. Old methods die hard, and the old adage of: change the oil every 3000 miles, is just not applicable in this day and age. The newer oils are designed for long service and minimal breakdown. This subject has been covered over and over on this board, and all I can say to people that are still confused is follow the owners manual recommendations. Don't second guess Honda, they do know how to service the cars they have spent years designing. Recently I received a E-Mail from Honda on the subject. They basically said exactly what I have said. They also said that severe service is just that, and it doesn't apply to the majority of owners. Do I smell a rat with all the mis-information from dealers.........a resounding YES, and it all adds up to money! It is up to us, Honda owners, to research the facts and not trust the dealer. The bottom line is what does Honda say? Anybody that needs additional information can access:

https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/

It is a site by Honda for Honda owners, everything you want to know about your Honda is there.

I am also a mechanic, and I would NOT recommend using any additives in a newer Honda. Especially Marvel oil, or any other snake oil. Fuel injection cars, which I assume you must have, are easily fouled by additives. Clean unmolested fuel is what they need. These additives rarely accomplish anything but empty your wallet. The valves don't need lubrication, as they are hardened valves. You rightfully remember lead being a component of all older gasolines, but you have forgotten why. The fuel was used for a whole different design of engine than we have today. (namely soft valves). The best thing that the auto industry did was redesign the engines for unleaded fuel. Also using 92 octane is a waste of money for these cars. They are designed and run quite well on the owners manual recommended octane. My manual says that 86 to 87 is acceptable. I usually run 87, have a 4 cylinder Vtec, 2001 Civic EX. Never have I had a ping or lack of performance. So many people use SUPER when it is totally unneccessary.

Many in here are so confused by information they read in this forum. Anyone that really cares about servicing their Honda for a long and economical life, need do one thing only, follow the guidelines in the owners manual.

I know what the manual recommends but just to be on the safe side of the safe side would it hurt the car (besides $ to dealer to do oil change)
    to change the oil as they recommend at 3,000 miles?
    srockr:

Change your oil more often than the manual required will have no side impact except your $$$. You could save hundreds of dollars oil change fee in the long run, but on the other side some people says that you could save hundreds to avoid having an engine rebuild. My previous 2 cars I sold at 150k and 180k miles none of them had any engine problem and I change oil very 5000 miles.

Honda don't recommend to change the 1st oil too soon, they claimed to have special break-in oil. My dealer mechaincs said it was synthetic blend.

bjk
  • ecastoneecastone Member Posts: 9
    I am trying to get some imput on my 01 civic. I posted with the civic problems. I am having problems with my car not wanting to start. It seems the longer I have had the car the more it is happening. I'm just wondering if anyone knows of this problem and if they know a solution. I talked to the dealership and they said they arent sure what the problem is yet. They are supposed to get back to me this weekend.
    Any Suggestions???
    I have read that if you have too much metal on your key chain when starting Civics (& Hondas in general) it can cause hard starts. I have a key chain where I can easily remove just the car key from the other key (which is my house key) when I start up my Civic. I only have 700 miles on my Civic and I have had a few times that it would not first start. Always started after that on 2nd try. I have also heard that lots of stops and starts can cause starting problems so when I go into 7-Eleven I leave car running (locking door with my other car key). I don't leave it running too long. If I am delayed (for instance while they make fresh pot of coffee) will run out and cut off car.

Good luck with your starting problem. I would try to eliminate as much metal from your key chain if possible. (Someone at work has an older Acura that needed the ignition replaced, dealer said due to too much weight on key chain. They now only keep car key and house key on key chain.)
    If the break in engine oil is synthetic doesn't it make sense to go the 10,000 miles before first oil change as manual recommends? Or are you taking too much of a chance that small bits of metal are in system from being built?

How many people first changed their oil before the 10,000 recommended mileage and at what mileage?
    I am going to change mine at 7500, I took in @ 5000 and my service writer told me I was 2500 miles too early.
    Going back @ 7500 miles!
  • wmajcherwmajcher Member Posts: 5
    Hi,

I purchased a 1999 Honda Civic EX Coupe today and have a qeuestion. On the driver side door the driver side window switch has a burn mark on it. It is bubbled up slightly and it bugs me. Is it possible to replace this switch? If so where can I get the part and how hard is it to do? Any responses are appreciated.

Thanks
    I would get it looked at but then I am a real worry wart. It can't hurt to have someone just check it out.

Good luck..
    As far as wear and tear on engine does anyone know if it's best to leave car running while making short stops (going into 7-Eleven, etc.) or shutting off engine? Esp. during break in period.

Always lock car with other key so don't have to worry about someone stealing it. Also park within view of where I am stopping at.

Thanks
    I personally wouldn't recommend it. First off the car is new, the engine if it malfunctioned, is not being monitored by anyone, as it is locked, running, and the owner is gone.
    Secondly leaving the key in the ignition is what a car thief LOVES, The Honda key has an electronic sensor in it so the car can not be started unless the key for that car is inserted into the ignition, which in turn recognizes the key and the car can be started. By leaving the key in, you are making it so much easier for the thief. He just breaks the window out, and is gone before you even have a chance to put the lid on your "Big Gulp".
    Good Luck trying to catch a car thief in a Civic with a V-Tech engine. You might be able to see a black streak disappearing over the horizon if you run out of 7 Eleven fast enough.
    By the way, 7 Elevens are one of the most likely places to have a car stolen or participate (unwillingly) in a robbery (in my opinion). If you really want to UP the odds, try parking your car at the local mall, running with the key in it. LOL!
    Happy Motoring!
    Ok I get the message. Will cut car off from now on when not in it.

Thanks everyone for your advice.
  • mattbratmattbrat Member Posts: 17
    Hey all,

My car slips all the time, those firestones have no traction whatsoever. I have about 42,000 miles and that may have something to do with it, but I can't afford to replace the tires till summer.
    By the way, I took my car to the dealers for an oil change and they told me that I needed to get the rear brakes adjusted. Is this normal? Do I need to get the rear brakes adjusted? and if I do need to get it adjusted, does this need to be done every once in awhile?
    By the way, does anyone know how much the dealer charges to adjust the rear brakes?
    Thanks!
    Is there anything safe to use to remove or hide small swirl marks on the finish of a black Civic?
  • chiarichiari Member Posts: 4
    i just bought a new car (civic 2002 ex coup). with the vtec engine when i run at 65mph down the freeway (yes, in 5th gear), i'm running at about 3100 RPM. is this right? i thought it should be lower. thanks
    Yesterday (temps in low 20's w/ snow on ground) Cold-

Started car at work, after it sat for about 7 hours and smelled a strong gassy smell for about 1/2 minute from outside front of car I think, then smell went away. Had a little over 1/2 tank full of gas. Always use low grade Exon gas.

Anyone know if this is anything to worry about. Dealership said to just keep my nose on alert and if it happens again to bring it in.

I turn key until idiot lights go out then crank engine (to help avoid hard starts). Could that cause this to happen?

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.