Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover Freelander

Comments

• landroversuckslandroversucks Member Posts: 1
    I have had a 2003 Freelander for 4 months and after drivingit for 9,000 miles I need to replace the engine due to Coolant Ingress in the engine. I think that is crazy. I don't know what to do? Anyone have any suggestions. My extended warranty doesn't want to pay for the new engine. Some one help.....
  • tiredoflrtiredoflr Member Posts: 40
    Well, my extended LR waruntee tried to wiggle out of paying for my new transmission b/c I got my 60000 mile check at 63000 (I had to wait 3 weeks for an appointment....) I fought, kicked, screamed...really....I would not take NO for an answer....They were trying everything...suggesting I borrow money to fix it....I flipped, told them that I would loose not one, but two jobs..(which was true) and said that it was unacceptable. You need to throw a fit in the dealership.....really....this is a common problem with all Freelanders. Look at all the listings on this forum alone.....this company is horrendous! I think you are part of my list...if not, email me landrover_lawsuit@hotmail.com.
    I am in process of speaking with lawyers right now.
  • kitten2kitten2 Member Posts: 14
    Hi - I had to repalce my engine as well because the head gasket on the coolant burst and leaked into my engine (taking oil with it!) This is a common known problem, landrover UK actually issued a bulletin on this, but I don't think it made it's way to to the US or Canada. Please get on the petition list!
  • dbfinlaydbfinlay Member Posts: 13
    Can you find or get your hands on the U.K. Bulletin? Thanks, Dave
  • tpeeltpeel Member Posts: 17
    It's called admin@preloved.com
    Hey, random question for everyone. Has anyone had issues with the car downshifting on it's own when going down a hill....to almost buck you forward??????? This has been another costant problem with my car and they don't have a clue as to what it is... :lemon:
  • kitten2kitten2 Member Posts: 14
    http://www.freelanderheadgasket.co.uk/
    http://home.austarnet.com.au/edwardsonline/freelanderheadgasket/

Please, please email me at landrover.freelander.lemon@hotmail.com or landrover_lawsuit@hotmail.com
    We really want to pursue a class action and need all the names we can get. Thanks.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
  • elliegunsellieguns Member Posts: 14
    Hi-I am in the usa my engine same problem. Its at the dealer now. I am still under warrenty and LR has denied me. I have a 2003 freelander 2.5 liter engine coolant has leaked into the oil. I still owe on this car. I am fighting with them. I am going to dress like a lemon and stand out side of the dealer .I so done with LR Talking to lawyers now. I feel like bending over and telling to just get it over with then slowly wish me luck Diana
    ask the certified land rover mechanic to check the radiator and the air flow first. if they refuse then get a lawyer then punch him square in the face.
  • cespiritucespiritu Member Posts: 3
    I bought my 2002 Freelander early last year (around May) from the local Land Rover dealership. It was a certified pre-owned vehicle, but I went ahead and purchased an extended warranty plan just in case. I'm glad I did. For the past 5-6 months, I've had nothing but problems with my car. 2 weeks ago, I had dropped off my car at the dealership because the brakes seemed weird. They told me I just needed new brake pads. What I thought would take a day at most to do ended up taking 7 days. Apparently one of the techs reported "oil leaking from head gaskets". To be honest, I didn't even know what that meant, but I didn't care as long as it was going to be fixed. But it took forever to get approval from the warranty company. Everything seems ok now, but after reading all of your stories, I'm completely freaked! From electrical problems to gaskets, I don't know how much more I can take. Especially since I'm expecting my first baby in a couple of months, and I don't want to put her life in any kind of danger. I'd love to join y'alls class action suit. My sister also has a 2003 Freelander. We're going to see what we can do about trading our cars in asap.
    congrats boy or girl? I know the 2002 freelanders have lots or trouble and the 2003 are just starting. My car G4 fully loaded bought new. I owe 7000.00 if I have to pay for a new engine I m screwed. but whether I do or not. The day I get my car back. I am trading it in. I am so done. I was doing to get a Jeep Liberty I should of now I will have to recover financially. I might lease . right now I dont even want to go into another dealership. The LR dealer ship where I live is so ghetto
  • cespiritucespiritu Member Posts: 3
    Thanks! It's a girl.. =)

Yeah, my sister has already been complaining a bit about electrical problems. My parents purchased her car in cash. But I still owe on mine - a little under $10k. So I feel like I'm basically screwed coz I doubt I'll ever find a buyer for this car now. It's still got pretty low mileage (36k). Regardless, I'm just convinced that the car's gonna completely fall apart any day now.. I'm already looking around online for a replacement. I'm considering a Honda Civic (although I REALLY wanna stick with an SUV). But the Civic's SEEM to be pretty safe...
    cespiritu...
    I just traded mine in this past weekend. It was a 2002 se with 87000 miles on it. I was at the end of my rope (I'm the girl you emailed, fyi), but I went to a Toyota dealership and test drove a few cars. They gave me 7 for mine (i owed 10700)....let me pay what I wanted for a new 2007 corolla sport which is fully loaded..they asked what I could pay..they made me a deal and it was the smoothest thing that I have ever experienced. If you need an suv, get a rav4..the new ones are beautiful....I am just doing more travelling and needed the better fuel economy.....that is my suggestions....I am still going after LR though...those useless sh***. I don't know what state your in, but if it's in MA, email me and I'll give you the details on where to go.
    I agree tiredflr Toyota is the way to go. The rav4 would have plenty of room for a baby. My girlfriend has one no problems. Its a little older now. LR called my husband today with our second denial. It sinks not having a car. Lr for north america wont tell my husband why and he wants to know why there was antifreez in the engine. they say nothing. we know its the head gasket . i need to talk to you. I am glad the other dealer ship went smooth. i am still in shock
  • silahsilah Member Posts: 1
    I have an '02 Freelander with almost 59000 miles, bought it used in '04 with 33000. Initially I noticed the Drive gear not fully engaging right away and mentioned it to my mechanic. He gave me a referral for transmission service way across town that I have not followed through with yet because of all the other issues I've had to deal with: Brakes serviced sooner than normal (2 times), coolant leaks, radiator serviced at least 3 times, water pump replaced (VERY expensive labor), timing belt replaced, it is STILL overheating and they tell me now that it is due to the Fan Control Module not signalling the fan to come on (?) another very expensive service (parts + labor). I also experience that same 'burning smell' constantly. The electric rear passenger window doesn't work.
    I am moving to Texas from Cali this month and am afraid to drive it there. I do not need the engine blowing up on me!! What should I do? Is there a remedy that I can direct my mechanic to look into regarding the overheating issue? could it really be the Fan Control Module? and what is this head gasket/bolts issue and how does it effect the engine/overheating? Please help!! :confuse:
    If your engine is not yet bad (check the coolant for a chocolate color, check the dipstick for brown foam), then trade it in to a car dealer immediately for something else. Whatever they offer for trade, take the loss ..... it will not be nearly the loss of $6000 for a new engine. Yes, the engine is $6000, I just got my THIRD engine at 67,000 miles.

Dave
  • ritadanielsritadaniels Member Posts: 15
    We cannot let LandRover off the hook by selling our cars at a loss.... that is just not an option!!! that is a ridiculous response -- we are consumers and have gotten a BAD APPLE from LandRover--- bottomline, LandRover needs to step up to the plate and take responsibility for their product....
  • wdormanwdorman Member Posts: 7
    Where do we stand in regards to legal action. I was turned down by the BBB Autoline due to the amount of miles on my vehicle. The same holds true for my local Attorney General, however they did say that they would contact my dealership regaqrding the complaint. I am now going to file a small claims case agaist both my dealership, and Land Rover North America.
  • arizonamanarizonaman Member Posts: 4
    hey gallovescars, what did you decide on, and how did it work out!

Mr Arizona
    We are not letting them off the hook if we sell our cars....if you are like me and commute 50 miles each way...the decision comes down to safety...in which I was nearly killed twice last month. Every attorney that I have spoken to let me know that we can still pursue legal action even if we no longer have the car...it's just shows how bad they were that we were willing to take a significant loss on our vehicle....because it was such a hazzard and a wallet-sore. We are obviously going after damages and trying to get exposure as much as we can. I am meeting with a lawyer on Thursday to figure out what to do. Also, I have another LR owner who has affiliates in the media who is going to try and break this open. We are still going to pursue this class action..but LR isn't going to do anything until a media storm develops....
  • ritadanielsritadaniels Member Posts: 15
    I certainly wasn't aware that we could still sell our vehicles and SUE at the same time. Thank you for setting the record straight. Looking for a buyer now!!!
  • nitroboynitroboy Member Posts: 4
    Does everyone who owns a Freelander owe me money for using my last name?

Richard Freeland
    No, You owe us all money for having such a horrible & costly vehicle named after you.

Cheers,
    Dave
  • carl20carl20 Member Posts: 3
    Hi all. My rear window regulator has gone out, so that I can't open the door. The dealer wants $700 plus to fix it. The replacement part is about $400, but it seems to me that this should be a matter of having a bad connection, or a faulty electric motor that could be fixed for less. Any suggestions?
  • kelesmomkelesmom Member Posts: 11
    2003 Freeelander. This is my 3rd LR. I've always been a HUGE fan, it's a driving experience, until now. I purchased, knowing better, a Freelander close to the end of warranty. within the first month, still under warranty it overheated, and was in Louisivlle LR Dealership. Not once, but twice within 3 months, for the same overheating issue. Now my warranty is up, I've driven it cross country, and my engine is blown. I need NEW CYLINDER HEADS. The LR dealership, here in Santa Barbara told myself and my automotive Dept which I took it to (b/c it was out of warranty, AND It was in such bad shape I couldn't afford to drive it 1 hr away to a dealership, it wasn't holding any water, it was smoking etc.) that it's a piece of junk, to get rid of it as quick as possible. I went to LR Corp., they aren't willing to help me out due to the fact that an automative shop worked on it, AFTER WARRANTY. As I've stated, this is my 3rd LR;1 2005 Discovery-loved but ex- husband has it, and a previous Freelander with never a problem. If there is a Class Action Law Suit, I want in. I am now taking it to LR Corp Appeal process, for whatever that's worth. I am attempting to communicate with the dealership I purchased ALL of my LR's from, with no luck so far. VERY discusted. I am making car notes on a car that has no engine, thanks to the crappy quality of workmanship, I am renting a car which I do not have the money to do. My insurance only pays if it was in an accident.
    I am discusted, furious and ready to fight! LR NEEDS to stand up like a real Corporation and take responsibility for their products. :mad: :sick:
  • busta5busta5 Member Posts: 9
    Yes, trade it in for a Honda now while you still have trade in value. This car is a money pit....had one and had, rear window failure like yours, seats that stuck in the folded position in the back, windows that would not work, radio failure, constant brake problems to name just a few within the first two years of owning. Luckily an excellent mechanic gave me heads up on a slow but soon to materialize head gasket problem and got rid of it. WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER LAND ROVER. Get used to handing over money to your dealer :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: BIG TIME
    Yes, Steve, I received my recall letter in the mail...unfortunately...I've already spend over $400 with them trying to repair that problem (mine was mostly with the downhill decent control) I'm now two months into my new Corolla sport and I have to say that I have never been happier. I ended up at an independent dealer in South Boston, Bob at Roverland was life-saver. He was about the only person associated with Land Rover that was ever honest with me and didn't try to take me for a ride (no pun intended, of course). I hope that anyone in the Boston area would consider going to him as he helped me through what could have been financially devastating times. We are still pursuing a class action against this company...it's moving slow, but we believe that it will eventually be exposed. Thanks for hosting!
  • cmarsh2cmarsh2 Member Posts: 3
    join the push for a class action lawsuit. Email Bridget at....
    Bridget OR [landrover_lawsuithotmail.com]

to join forces. The more; The better.
  • davetcdavetc Member Posts: 1
    Hi All,

I am sorry to hear that so many people are having issues with their freelanders. I just had a quick question for this forum. I am a long time Land Rover enthusiast and just recently purchased an 2005 freelander 5-door. I guess after reading these posts, my question would be, though I understand a much smaller amount of 04 oand 05 Freelanders were sold, have any owners experienced the same engine or Transmission issues that are occuring with the 02 and 03 freelanders. Thanks for the info.

dave
  • bg54bg54 Member Posts: 21
    How do I get involved with the LR lawsuite.. 30,000.000 4 years no trade in value and 2 death traps. LR Has NOT refunded the money that was to go towards the 2004 when they replaced the 2002 with the 2004 freelander. Any help suggestions will be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks
    B.Gant
  • bg54bg54 Member Posts: 21
    Yes.. I had a 2002, and they replaced it with a 2004.

2002, problems.. Oil leaks, transmission, electrical, brakes.

2004, Transmission, intake vale problem they could NOT fix.
    It was becoming a death trap. Also, just stopped working
    and would not start up had to have LR tow it in.

Land Rover would NEVER commit to acknowledging any of the problems and HAS NO SUPPORT TOWARDS RESOLVING THESE PROBLEMS.
    There were never any fixes or redesigns to this motor. The one they gave me in November 2005 failed in only 18,000 miles (13 months). I had to purchase my third motor at 66K miles for nearly $5,000.00. Now, becuase the motor factory (Rover) closed down and sold out to a Chinese company, all motor replacements are rebuilts constructed from engine blocks that have failed at least once already. Trade your freelander before factory warranty coverage expires. expect 100% abandonment from Land Rover when the warranty is up. Cheers, Dave
  • landroverlemonlandroverlemon Member Posts: 9
    December 2006 : I was driving from Memphis to IL for my grandma's funeral. I pulled off in Cape Girardeau, MO to stop for gas, as I was going through the intersection my 2002 Land Rover Freelander with less than 50,000 miles on it stopped accelerating. As I pushed on the gas, the vehicle was not moving. I let it coast to the side of the road as cars sped by me. Here I am on my way to my grandma's funeral, a single woman a few hours from Memphis and 100 miles from St. Louis. I called my mom in St Louis and we started calling tow companies to tow my vehicle. I then called the Land Rover dealership in Memphis thinking that is was still under warranty up to 50,000 miles. The gentleman that I spoke to, I believe his name was Scott, said that my warranty had just expired. "It was 50,000 miles or 4 years". I then turned over the Land Rover business card in which the salesman had written the warranty information on and it said 50,000 miles or October of 2006. My Land Rover was less than 2 months out of its warranty. Because of this "Scott" said that they would not be able to help me. I had my Land Rover towed to a transmission shop in Jackson, MO. I then waited 2 hours for my mom to drive down from St. Louis to pick me up. I missed my grandma's visitation that night and drove my mom's vehicle to the funeral in Girard, IL the next day. Jason from the transmission shop said that it would be around $3200 to rebuild the transmission and that it would take at least 2 weeks. I had to rent a car in MO to drive home on Sunday to be at work on Monday. On Monday I called Land Rover corporate office. "Caroline" said that because I did not buy it from a Land Rover dealership and it had been previously owned they would not honor the warranty under "goodwill". She also said that my warranty had expired in May, when the dealer that I bought it from specifically called Land Rover when I bought it and wrote it down on the back of the business card October of 2006. I ended up having my Land Rover towed to another more reputable transmission shop in Cape Girardeau; it took them a month to install a new transmission. The guy at the transmission shop told me that he had a friend in St Louis who used to work for Land Rover and said that the transmissions needed to be recalled and thought that they would be within a year or so. He said that there are numerous problems with these vehicles. The transmission was $3227.04 and my rental car cost for the month was over $600 for a total of $4500. I drove up on a Saturday to pick up my vehicle in Cape Girardeau, MO…happy to have it back….
    Less than a week after I had my Land Rover back the temperature gauge went up and it started smelling hot. I drove it to the nearest service station and they looked at it. They said that the hose to the coolant system needed to be replaced, they said it might have happened when the new transmission was put in. They replaced it. It still smelled hot as I drove it but they said that the coolant had shot all over my engine. I drove it a few miles and smoke started coming out and the temp gauge went up, I turned around and drove it back to the service station. They looked at it again and said that the cam shaft seal had shot off and it sprayed oil all over my engine…. he put the cam shaft seal back on and filled it up with oil and told me to take it to the dealership when I could. I drove back to work, by the time I got to work my Land Rover was overheating again. The dealership was a good 20 minutes away so I had to have my Land Rover towed $75. The Land Rover dealership called and said that the cam seal needed to be replaced and the coolant container had a crack in it. Total $924.81 and a week in the shop.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007: my Land Rover has a little over 51,000 miles on it…drove downtown, on the way back my Land Rover started smelling hot. I drove it to the nearest service station. They opened the hood and looked at it and said that all of the engine coolant was gone. They asked me if I recently had it worked on because the coolant reservoir was not attached properly, "the bolt was stripped" is exactly what he said. He said that he would fill up the reservoir and the weight of it should keep it in place until I got it to the dealer to look at. I drove maybe 3 miles and my car completely overheated and shut down at another gas station. When we lifted the hood, the coolant reservoir was empty and there was oil all over the engine again. I had it towed AGAIN, to Land Rover $75…once again without a vehicle. I called Shirley in Service at the Land Rover dealership the next morning and told her how the service station had told me that the coolant reservoir was not attached correctly, the bolt was stripped and that it was just replaced by The Land Rover Dealership in February 2007. She said that she would attach my history with the work order. The Land Rover dealership could not get to it to look at on Wednesday…finally Shirley called me back around 3 on Thursday to tell me that "she had some bad news". "Somehow the timing belt had shredded and coolant was in the engine and the engine is gone." 4/20/07: I went down to the Land Rover dealership. Talked to Shirley Curtner the Service Advisor. She gave me the invoice for the repairs needed to my Land Rover. Invoice reads, “Found engine coolant has oil in reservoir. Found timing belt shredded. Rec Replace Engine.” $6780.87. And the service work from 1/24/07 : “Engine Leaks Oil”. Asked Shirley what would cause these major problems. She said that she would ask the technician to come in a talk to me about it since the service manager Dennis was not available. She came back and said that the technician was busy. I asked to talk to the owner, she was not in. Talked to the General Manager, Eric Suffield. I explained my story again, he said that I would need to contact Land Rover North America (800 number) in my owners manual, “they would have to approve any repairs, he could not do that within the dealership.” Called Land Rover N/A on 4/20/07. Talked to Brian. I explained the situation again to him. He pulled up my file from when I had contacted them when my transmission went out. He said that I would need to talk to Caroline, who originally took the information. He said, “I will get with Caroline and she will get back to you within 1-2 business days.” I said that this was unacceptable and asked if she could call me back today. She did call me back within the hour. She told me, “I will need to speak to the Service Manager at Bluff City Land Rover”, she asked what the GM had said about replacing the engine and I said that he told me that it was up to Land Rover. She kind of laughed and said that she would speak to him as well. She ended the conversation by saying that she would get back to me in 1-2 business days.

I am a single parent. My Land Rover is what gets me to work everyday. It is my livelihood, it is how I take care of my son and myself. Since December I ha
    what is the status of the petition and class action?
    How are we getting this media storm to develop? I have contacted local media here and have heard nothing...has anyone else had any luck?
    Anne in Memphis
    atwalke@yahoo.com
    I have finally gotten some feedback from a local consumer reporter. They have asked me to file a report with the highway safety commission, which I have. I suggest that you all do that as well. I am waiting to hear back on that now. I still haven't been able to obtain a lawyer as they all seem scared of the Big Bad Land Rover Wolf......so, I'm still looking. We have about 50 people now..so the numbers are strong. Every person counts. I am getting emails from overseas as well, but I don't know if they can be included. The forums that I have seen over there are just as bad in regards to the LR Freelander. Apparently when it failed over there...they stuck it to us Americans and Canadians to make more money......unfortunately for us, it worked.
    Imagine that...that stinks. I have already filed a report with the safety commission and I received the paperwork from the BBB in the mail today...I know that they won't do anything but it won't hurt to file a complaint...50 is good...I am sure that there are a lot more...I wish that we could start a site specifically for this...it would probably draw more people. Please keep me informed and let me know what I can do to help....I am going to speak with the owner of the dealership this weekend...and proceed from there...
    2002 Land Rover Freelander $19,006.39

New Transmission at 49,159 miles $3227.04
    New cam seal, coolant reservoir,
    and hoses at 49,532 miles $924.81
    New Engine and timing belt
    at 52,000 miles $6,780.87

Land Rover not standing behind their product, voluntary $11,000 repossession to the bank, PRICELESS…

Land Rover Freelander: For people who want to sink thousands of dollars into their vehicle, for everyone else
    Honda, Toyota, or Nissan.
  • jdurlingjdurling Member Posts: 2
    Hi Could you add my name to the list? I brought I freelander with 43,000 on it 2003 I have had the freelander for 11 months and put 13,000 miles on. Apparently my my head gasket broke and flooded the engine w/anti freeze and the sleeves drop and the piston dropped. I have a extended warranty ( lucky for me thinking ahead) However I wouldn't have wasted the the money in buying either it I know they were aware w/it. Besides that I am going to end up w/a rebuild motor and what says when I get to 50 miles it won't happen again. So where can I sign up? I should f stayed w/Audi .
  • jdurlingjdurling Member Posts: 2
    I tried to email you @ landrover_lawsuit@hotmail.com keeps coming back as not valid. :sick:
    Hi, sorry that you had trouble with that. If you copied directly from the forum, the @ sign would transpose in the address box. Just hand type it and it should work. you can also give me your email and i'll send you one from that account and then we will be all set. This had been an uphill battle for all of us and they really have some big guns on this (in regards to lawyers) that is making it really difficult to obtain counsel. Again, sorry for your trouble with my email and your car. Look forward to hearing from you. Bridget
  • cheaplandercheaplander Member Posts: 9
    Please add me to the list too, a freelander 2002 owner with a lot of problems, including transmission.
  • sufferingsuffering Member Posts: 5
    Is there a class action lawsuit for landrover in the works? Ive had problems with my 2002 freelander also. New engine, new transmission, brake problems (rotors, discs etc.) 65000 mi approx had to have a new transmission, 85000 mi approx had to have a new engine, around 90 to 95000 a new right front axle, rotors, discs and the brakes and rotors have been nothing but problems since then. Ive talked to the landrover dealership and they say that the 2002 freelander has been problematic since introduced for the first time here in the U.S. in 2002. They have discontinued making them,For those reasons, but they didnt offer any advice nor recall the car as a Lemon eventhough they know about the problems and that it is a bad car. :lemon:
  • phxlanephxlane Member Posts: 1
    My issues havent been major as any of yours. Bought my 02 LRFL 3 years ago used. Loved the vehicle. Mostly minor issues --- constant check engine light, 3 stereos, 4 sunroofs, and overheating.

Until now, surging power and insessant check engine light. I have had it in for the past 5 or 7 weeks. Picked it up numerous times and the check engine light would come back on in the next day or so.

I only have a few thousand left on my extended warranty. I service it fully and the unreliability is unacceptable. LRNA is not helpful when I called about my recent service experience. Today the rep actually said 'check engine light, sunroof, and overheating are characteristics of the car.' Wow!!!!!

Unacceptable product and unacceptable service. I work in a professional environment and have friends and colleagues who are thinking about a LR purchase. I made sure I have explained my situation too them. :sick:
  • trburtontrburton Member Posts: 22
    Up for any lawsuit. I babied my Freelander for 55000 miles. Not a scratch. Never replaced Rotors & replaced pads only once. Loved the handling & snow traction (800 miles from TN to DC & back in 8 inches). No problems until transmission started slipping at 45000. It was replaced under warranty. Engine made noise when I picked it up at Dealer. Noise continued in cold weather at startup. Dealer said "not to worry". In August noise started & engine disintegrated
  • tinslotinslo Member Posts: 1
    How can you, in good conscience, sell this horrible car to yet another innocent unsuspecting consumer? This is my dilemma. I can’t dump this death trap onto another human being. It’s not right. Land Rover should bear the brunt of this horrible product they have produced, not anyone else. Someone is going to become seriously injured. It’s irresponsible and selfish to SELL this problem to yet another person.
  • eringramleyeringramley Member Posts: 1
    I'd like to save you a lot of time and money and say NEVER BUY A LAND ROVER!!!

I have a 2002 Landrover Freelander, bought it two years ago at the end of its lease. It was serviced regularly and I loved the car...that is to say that I was a little shocked at how expensive it was to service but figured it was worth it to keep it running well. Last November the engine light went on and we were told it would be 2,000 to replace an intake manifold. In March of this year the engine temperature went all the way to the red. We took it to the dealership and they said that it was the thermostat...another 2,000. Now five weeks after getting that fixed the temperature gauge went to the red again. We have it towed back to the same dealership and they said sorry...coolant has leaked into the engine. Bottom line you need a whole new engine...price 7,000. So far, not counting the 800 to service the vehicle this year alone...I'm talking oil change, fluid change, etc. We've spent over 11,000 on this car. Landrover needs to recall these cars...they're the worst cars on the market. Apparently Land Rover has no respect for its consumer and couldn't care less that it's got faulty cars on the roads. If you know of a good class action suit against landrover...let me know.
  • cheaplandercheaplander Member Posts: 9
    Let me be the first one to "Second that". I'd like also to save you a lot of time and money and say NEVER BUY A LAND ROVER!!! You don't want to buy a car with no company behind it. That's the issue, the 2002 Freelander has too many issues compared to any other car that I had (multiple BMWs, multiple Benz, Toyota, American cars).
    Anytime you see the temperature gauge go to red, open your hood and check the reservoir tank. If there's no coolant in the tank, fill it with water (or to the max) Turn the heat on to full and run the car. if the coolant disappears, refill it- It's an air pocket. Keep doing this until all the air is gone and the coolant stays level. Land Rover of new Rochelle told me @ 53,000 miles that I needed a new engine For $6,700 mmm, My mechanic replaced the radiator for $ 600 did a complete engine diagnostics and found nothing wrong. 8,000 miles later I still get air pockets once in awhile but the engine is fine. The bottom line is, that if it was a Range Rover or LR3, thaey would treat you like gold. Jason, you are a [non-permissible content removed].