Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover Freelander

Comments

• agh15agh15 Member Posts: 90
    DO HAVE ANY NEW INFO ON THE FREELANDER
  • smichsmich Member Posts: 31
    What brand of tire will the Freelander be equipped with?
  • tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    Freelander will probably come with either Goodyear or Michelin Tires. I have seen some with Pirelli's, but I doubt LRNA will approve them for sale in the U.S.
    Do you know when lrna will show the public pictures of the na spec freelander.
  • elfieelfie Member Posts: 47
    Any new information for release dates? I know they plan for December, but am hoping they might be able to release the Freelander earlier.

Thanks!

Jackie
    Sorry, I don't know when pics will be forthcoming. The NA spec Freelander does not look radically different on the exterior, most of the changes are in interior colors.
    I seriously doubt if they will be released before December. There is still a lot of work being done making sure all the Retailers are prepared to service and support them. There is also a lot of behind the scene activity at LRNA going on. Normally you are trying frantically to make the launch date, and this time is no exception.
  • smkm1smkm1 Member Posts: 2
    does anyone know how much interior room there will be ..... back seat..... currently have a nissan xterra and a defender...... looking to change the xterra.......
    The Freelander has better rear room than the Discovery. I am 6'2", over 290 and find it very comfortable in the rear seats.
  • kbowenkbowen Member Posts: 58
    It seems to me without a Low X-fer case the FL is ill-designed for serious offroading where extremely steep and long decents are required, such as Black Bear in Colorado. The Hill Decent system relies on the brakes and with extended use could burn them up and be ineffective. Engine braking would not be effective in this type of situation alone without a low range. This would be thousands of feet down guys and VERY dangerous. Who among you would take a FL on Black Bear?
    Well, I have no plans to take it down Black Bear. I am looking more toward the FL getting me home in snow and ice since I have to drive up and down a 2 lane road on the side of a mountain to get there.

The Hill Decent system sounds perfect for what I need and want.

Of course, I doubt I would be going down the side any mountain on purpose :)

Jackie
    Trying to wait patiently until the FL is released, but not succeeding very well.
    The Freelander has a 5 speed automatic and 1st gear is quite low. I know the Defender, Discovery and Range Rover have all been taken down Black Bear Pass in the past and I'm sure we'll take the Freelander down it also. Even if it isn't the best vehicle for a long descent, it will be more than adequate for 99% of off-road situations it's owners will encounter. If you look at the others in its class, most of those do not have low range, ABS, Traction Control or HDC. Although Freelander does not have Low Range, it does have all of those other features as standard equipt.
    We have not heard from you for awhile, anything new on the Freelander front?

Jackie
    I'm afraid I don't have anything new to report.
  • freelanderpafreelanderpa Member Posts: 20
    Does anyone know when the online ordering will begin?

John
  • ankleroomankleroom Member Posts: 13
    Before on-line ordering starts, will we get to see vehicle pictures featuring all the available paint colors?

A 360-degree Quicktime VR of the Freelander in each color would help purchase choice. The little color dots on the current Freelander.com web site are not sufficient.

Also, will we get to see a list of the features and specs for all the trim levels?

Thanks.
    Do you know when LR will update the website with more info on the freelander. Oh and do you know when the brochures will come out.
    I recieved a brochure in the mail a couple of days ago. It was more like a flyer tho....and it tells you for more info about the Freelander, visit the website! We're going to have to wait a little longer I guess! I hope Tincup mentions us anxious, potential LR customers in those corporate meetings!
    I recevied the same mailer. Not much new information, but it was nice to have something physical to show around :)

I have been debating between the oslo blue and the rutland red, but I think I will go check out the Range Rovers and see which color I like up close and personal.

Of course, I cheated and went to the Australia Land Rover web site and that shows the FL in different colors. It may not be exact, but it was fun to look.

Hopefully, they will begin releasing more information next month and allow us to place our orders.

I am curious to see what options will be available. I know on the Range Rovers, there are 3 kits but that is pretty much it.

Jackie
    Hey Tincup,
    I hope LR includes the Bonatti Grey color to the Freelander lineup because it looks pretty good!
    See what you can do!
    There won't be much in the way of options except upgraded sound systems. But there will be a lot of accessories. The "Kits" on the Range Rover on the web site are just a few of the available accessories available. They are listed as kits on the website as ideas, kind of like serving suggestions on food packaging.
    Should be interesting. I keep checking on the Land Rover websites in other countries just to see what they have :)

Although, I know I am going to get the safari bear, it is just too cute to pass up :)

Any idea when they are going to release the standard equipment listing? In fact, any idea when they are going to release the next wave of information?

Thanks!

Jackie
    The standard equipt. has been pretty much posted.
    Power Windows, Locks, Cruise Control, 4 wheel ABS, Electronic Traction Control, Hill Descent Control, V-6 engine, 5 speed automatic with manual shift, Heated windshield (new), heated rear window. 16" alloy wheels with full size spare. No power seats are available. Any items in particular you are interested in?
    The website is scheduled to be updated late August-Early September. When I find out exactly when I'll give a heads up.
    I think LRNA really needs to put some more info out their so people stay interested in the freelander.
    Oh just the creature comfort stuff like heated seats, keyless entry, standard sound, a/c, etc.

Speaking of which, will there be vents in the back or just the front?

I can admit to being spoiled :)

Jackie
    A/C, Keyless entry and security system will be standard equipt. Heated seats will be optional on all trim levels. The S (cloth) model has a standard sound system, the SE (leather) has upgraded system, and the HSE (premium leather)has the top of the line sound system with 6 disc CD changer and in dash Nav unit by Becker.
    The Marketing Guru's have their timetable set for releasing info. I can't second guess them as I don't have an MBA, or any other letters. ;)
  • dougmckaydougmckay Member Posts: 22
    Tell me more! Does this include a color screen and synthesized voice readouts? Is it DVD-based or multiple CD-ROM based? Any pictures?

I need input!!

;)
    The in-dash Nav unit is a Becker unit incorporated in to the audio head unit. It is a CD based unit that gives text instructions on the display while also giving voice instructions through the sound system. There is no map displayed though. The CD unit can also be used to play single audio CDs when the Nav function is not required. I don't have any pictures at this time.
    The Freelander website will be updated in about 2 weeks. Should be able to pre-order then.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Top marques are given low marks in reliability survey

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

After reading that article, I did have one question. How do you have a niggling fault with visibility or seating?
    One other consideration, there will be considerable differences between the vehicles built a year or two ago, and the ones being built now. One thing that Ford has done is invest over 1 billion dollars in improvements to the physical plants and worker training. The Discovery today is much better than the ones earlier this year, good enough to be given the Strategic Vision Total Quality Award as best mid-size SUV.
    lol, beats me. I kinda got lost at the Skoda vs MB comparison. And people on this side of the pond complain about CR!

Steve
    Host

I read that about the Skoda and MB, and decided not to mention it ;)
    Will the navigator be available as an option or do you have to order the premium model?

It would be nice to have it as a option for those of us who do not want leather.

Also, will there be heating and a/c vents in the back for the passengers? Just wondering :)

Thanks!

Jackie
    I haven't heard anything about the Nav system being available as an option. There are no vents for heating or A/C for rear seat passengers.
    when will the site be changed for the freelander
    Ok, it's been two weeks. Has LR set a firm date on the website update?

I'm not trying to be pushy, just getting excited at being almost one step closer to my FL.

Thanks!

Jackie
    August 31st ;)
    U.S. prices
    S model 24,975 + 625 freight
    SE model 27,775 + 625 freight
    HSE model 31,575 + 625 freight
    Options
    Sunroof 875
    HK Premium audio (S & SE only) 750
    Heated seats 300
    Canada prices
    S model 34,800 + 1545 canada specific charges
    SE model 38,800 + "
    HSE model 43,800 + "
    Sunroof 1,338
    HK Premium audio (S & SE only) 1,147
    Heated seats 459
    Black paint 382
    Thank you so much!

Its good to know what to expect now :)

Jackie
    Will the brochures be available on the 31st also.

thanks
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Just curious - why is black paint extra in Canada??
    Why Land Rover Thinks Big In America

Steve
    Host

Black paint is also extra in the US, $250 option. They corrected that info today. I have no idea why it costs more
  • bobcatbobbobcatbob Member Posts: 187
    So, what impact will the Ford British Brand consolidation have on you? Will you be relocating?

Is the black paint a clearcoat, and thus the extra cost?
    The reorganization is affecting everyone at LRNA. I haven't decided whether I'll be following my job yet, but I am keeping an open mind. My job is going to Mahwah NJ.
    Well, I saw the consolidation and knew it woudl cause havoc with a lot of people.

re: the MSRP's for the Freelander, I was hoping for something higher so I could rationalize not buying one. Out of curiosity, the major difference between the SE and teh HSE is the NAv system and bigger wheels, thsu the 3K diference right? you can get a laoded SE for about 29.250, which seems darn good. I am asuming the SE will be the volume leader?

IF ( a big IF) X-Plan was accepted, then one could have it for about 27K or so....Pretty darn good, but still a lot for a vehicle the size of the Escape.

Also, notice that LRNA is now projecting 22,500 for first year sales, whereas a few months ago it was simply 20K.
    The HSE has the sunroof, HK premium audio, 6 disc cd changer, unique 17" alloy wheels and special Duotone alpaca beige/Black leather interior. The only option on the HSE is heated seats. The SE has a monotone leather interior and different 17" alloys. The 3k gets you quite a bit more than the NAV system and wheels. Also black paint is not extra on the HSE.
    We have upped the expected sales because they increased anticipated production.
    So, given $1500 for the sunroof and Premium Audio, the only difference is the wheels, the leather, and the NAV, right?