Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Altima

Comments

• blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    ...it's about having a basis for your argument rather than reverting to ad hominem attacks such as "Dont be such a punk. I wasn't even talking to you and you're a punk."

If what you write has merit, then there exists no reason to toss out epithets.

Town Car luxury? Oh brother. Next thing I know people will be calling GM's and Mopars luxury too.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    It's starting to get in the way of the discussion...
  • oac3oac3 Member Posts: 373
    Thanks for a beautiful write-up in response to the post on SUV versus an Altima. I had been taken to task for owning exactly what you own - a Sequoia. And some posters questioned why anyone would own these gas guzzling behemoths... I thought to respond, but dropped the idea, since it belongs in another forum. Now I read your well reasoned and very practical reasons for owning one, and I smiled 'cos you spoke for me and clearly too...

<"...To me, what it boils down to is safety. Speaking from experience in frequent commuting through the metro NYC area, drivers are a lot quicker to cut me off in my Camry than they are to cut me off when I drive the Seq. My insurance company says my Seq is safer for my family. And if my wife is going to be hit by some kid flying around in some souped up rice-rocket, then I want more steel around her to give her the best odds I can. Them's the absolute truth.">

I couldn't agree more with your statement here, as I also live in a big (>2 million people) city. Like you, my wife drives the Sequoia daily with the kids' school, soccer, and music lessons and practise. Give me a sedan anyday and I'll take it over any SUV, for my personal ride, that is. But with a family of 5 (2 kids, wife and grandma), space is utmost need, as well as security for the family. IMO, the Sequoia may be pricy at close to $40k, but no price is too great for protecting one's family, and I consider it a good investment in their welfare and care. The Alty, OTOH, is for the performance-inclined car lovers, although it claims to be a "family sport sedan".... and I can see why many on this forum are for it... You are young and your priorities are different at the moment. Some day you would consider an SUV over that great 250+hp "family sport sedan" as more practical....

'nuff said..
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Let's take a moment to cool off and refocus on the Altima.

We need to keep in mind the subject of this discussion. We've been all over the map recently, which has heightened the argumentative rhetoric that does not belong here at all.

Let's just talk about the new Altima and leave aside these other vehicles that have somehow crept in here, as well as the personal issues that simply do not belong.

Thanks.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    The Town Hall does not allow the racial and ethnic slur "rice" (or derivatives of that word) to be used in reference to vehicles. That is a non-debatable policy, and from here on out any more posts using such terminology will be removed.

You may email me if you'd like about the policy, but we will not be discussing it here.

Thank you.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • fasterthanufasterthanu Member Posts: 210
    About the Town Car reference - it's actually the DeVille that is the best selling lux car. And it's not that I am a proponent of luxobarges, but a fact in sales figures for luxury cars. See here: http://www.autosite.com/editoria/asmr/svollc.asp

Anyway back to topic:

Some people in this forum said that the later production Altimas had gotten better interior appointments since the early models (which I saw), so on a lark I dropped by the dealership tonight to check it out. I compared the Altima to the Max and here's what I saw:

Build quality:

Maxima: Better build, more substantial feel. No tinny doors, very solid feel throughout.

Altima: TINNY doors, roof (I could push it in with a pinky), the doors vibrated on closing.

Interior fit and finish:

Maxima: Good quality plastic throughout except for lower dash (but who cares there anyway). Solidly screwed together and great looking design and appointments. Nice quality leather too. Seats are firm but comfortable. Could use better cupholders in back.

Altima: No rear passenger door pockets. When the center armrest is elevated, it blocks the cupholder. Has better foot space in back, tho. CHEAP plastic. I can't fathom how anyone could pay close to $30K for this - especially the fake wood trim - its color is a blend of orange and banana, and it peels easily off. The leather is a cheaper grade than in the Max, and the front seats feel too firm, probably less comfortable in the long haul than the Max.

Most of the switchgear is the same in both cars, including the steering wheel. But IMO the Max's interior is better styled and feels more luxurious.

Performance:

I don't have raw numbers but if I have the time I'll research it.

Price:

I compared two indentically-equipped cars and all the Max lacked was a spoiler. The Max had a sticker about $700 more than the Altima. But the salesperson said that out the door, he could sell if for a lot less than the Altima.

If I were choosing between these two, the Max would win my jack hands down. $29K for that Altima? I'd rather buy an IS for that many bills.

• hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    <<If I were choosing between these two, the Max would win my jack hands down. $29K for that Altima? I'd rather buy an IS for that many bills.>>

For $35K on the IS, you'll be looking at the rear light of the Altima on a qtr mile run. :)

With a little tweaking on the Altima, it can outperform the WRX.

Oh, by the way, next year's Accord will have a V6, 3.2 liter. It will NEVER match the Altima 240 hp. The 4 cylinder Accord will have 2.4 liter iVTEC with 160 hp.

The Altima/Maxima has set the standard for the V6 class.

Since people love sources for statements like this - where's yours? What kind of tweaking to the Altima can you do that will give it better handling traits than WRX's 4WD system? If you have such a solution, you should propose it to Nissan - that can get you rich.

BTW the IS can be had for much less than $35K, and since dealers aren't budging on the Altima's sticker, a shopper would be crazy not to consider alternatives like the IS, TL, Maxima and a SLEW of better-built cars. When you consider the montly payments, a few extra bills would get you an even better car like the new ES or I35. The Altimas can go fast, but a year down the road that speed will be accompanied by a symphony of rattles and squeaks.

If you're shopping for a Nissan, I can't see how you could come out of the showroom with the Altima and not the Maxima. With the two sitting side-by-side, even I could see the Max has the Altima beaten in EVERY category you could choose by.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    With a little tweaking on the WRX, no it won't. Let's compare apples to apples, folks. If you are going to modify an Altima, odds are you'd modify whatever else you bought, too.

Not to mention it's much easier to tweak a turbo - $50 for a manual boost controller will do more than an $800 intake/exhaust systems could for the Alty.

I like the 240hp V6, but think about it. It's flexibility is the one characteristic I like best. Add a large diameter exhaust, and you'll give up some low-end torque. Do the intake and you get more noise. There is always a trade off.

I agree, though - the V6 sets the standard for the class.

The IS is very nice, but it's tiny inside (a 2+2 even) and RWD, so not exactly a direct competitor for the Altima. And a loaded Alty costs what a stripped IS costs.

You just can't make conslusive arguments about the Max vs. Altima like that. The Maxima does the back-axle-boogy over bumpy roads, due to its non-independent rear suspension. The Altima's ride is far more controlled. And you have no idea whether it will rattle in a year, noone does yet. The Maxima also weighs more and offers less room. Styling is subjective but that alone would have me running to an Altima.

-juice
  • amazing2uamazing2u Member Posts: 67
    I agree with you on most of the stuff but if you go to the Altimas.net forum, you will notice that some buyers are complaining about a couple of rattles (rear door/back seat...).

the difference between the Altima 3.5 and the Maxima is less than 40 pounds.

I decided to go with the Maxima because of the 6 speed, HLSD and I love the styling (don't laugh at me :-) ).

BUT...
    If the Altima had a lsd and a more inviting leather interior, I would of bought it in a sec.

Just my .02 cent. ;-)
    Your justification sounds far more reasonable than some.

I'd want the HLSD too. Seems odd that they put it in the Sentra and Maxima, and hot their newest platform with the indy rear.

My wife likes the Maxima's styling, too, but she likes the Altima even more.

-juice
  • lsclsc Member Posts: 210
    the styling is clearly better in the Altima...but you have to give the 2002 Max credit. It is a very nice car in it's own right. The leather on the 2002 Max is outstanding. Along w/ the rest of the interior. They are both roomy enough to warrant no complaints.

I like to drive a stylish car and the chassis really won me over. But I wouldn't deter anyone from buying the Max. The Altima was a better car for me but if anyone likes the Max more, I wouldn't blame them.
    I tend to prefer cloth myself. I do like the Maxima's interior, but to be honest I didn't feel it was quite so different from the Altima. I guess I don't pay much attention to stuff like that. I'm more interested in how it drives! :-)

-juice
  • shriqueshrique Member Posts: 338
    Wow that stunk. I finished a nice big long post and it didn't go because my login expired. I guess i took too long. (sigh)

I just did a quick comparison between the Altima 2.5s and the Accord LX (they are comparably equipped and priced).

Accord
    The gist is that the Accord is priced higher has less power and DOES NOT have the option for ABS or Side Curtain Airbags.

Altima
    The Altima on the other hand has more power more torque and DOES have the option for ABS which is 4 channel and comes bundled with Sidecurtain airbags for the front and rear passengers. When you add the price of just that option the Altima is about the same as the Accord LX without ABS or SCAB (yuck on that acronym)

Obviously the impact studies have yet to be done on the Altima so we can't know if the structure is safe but simply the addition of ABS would bring me peace of mind. I know I wouldn't have had one of accidents if my car had been equiped with it.

The rest comes down to drivability and Reliability

Drivability
    That's a very personal thing but I prefer the slightly more sporty suspension setup on the Altima

Reliability
    Should be very close. The Accord is good but consumer reports rated the Maxima higher so you can expect reliability similar to the Accord unless Nissan REALLY messed up.

(all price comparisons are MSRP assuming, with time, some budge room on the Altima)
    Altima also gets 16" rims standard. Hondas come with some smallish wheels. Even the NSX has 16" front and 17" rear, so the 3.5SE actually has bigger wheels than the NSX.

-juice
    The Altima 2.5S and the Camry LE seem to be a closer match. You can get ABS and Side curtain airbags. However the performance & price is still is a nod to the Altima.

Of course I think the new Camry is ugly but that's my opinion.

Correction: the Accord LX does have the option for Side Curtains but still no ABS
  • cupholder1cupholder1 Member Posts: 231
    you can't get side airbags unless you want a fully optioned out car. I defy you to find an Altima with only side airbags as an option.
    On the same note find me an Accord or Camry that is stripped. The Camry has so many tie ins with their packages it's insane. Try building a cheap Tacoma sometime. (GRIN) I think in time you will find a semi stripper Altima but if you really want one you can always order one up with exactly what you want. You have to wait but it can be done.

(throwing tantrum) But I want it now mommy. (chuckle)
  • obiwankenobi1obiwankenobi1 Member Posts: 290
    When comparing the WRX to the Altima 3.5SE, I DID beat a WRX wagon in a race a month or so ago in my 02 SE Maxima. So if I can do it in my Max, I don't think an Altima with a 6 speed should have a problem.

But then again, this is all just me re-hashing and patting myself on the back! :)

And I know, I know, we don't know how good a driver the WRX guy was, so let's not go into it again!

I'll drop it!

Obi
  • cupholder1cupholder1 Member Posts: 231
    yup, I smoked him off the line... guess the Viper is really weak. My buddy who was in the car with me said that the Viper driver probably just didn't want to drive like a crazed maniac on a busy street so he didn't bother smoking a pesky Neon... but he's wrong! I totally outclassed the Viper with my superior Neon!

Okay dude, get real... A WRX vs MAXIMA SE? The WRX will win EVERY TIME under equal conditions and drivers.
    He's been wandering everywhere telling people he beat a WRX with his Max. It's amusing...in a pathetic way.
  • aurorabillaurorabill Member Posts: 22
    It is because of the thoughtful postings on this Forum that I decided to test drive a car that had peaked my interest - the 02 Altima. I read what the 4 major auto publications had to say and I felt this might be "the car" for 2002.

At the risk of what has been pretty much reported, I found the leather-like interior just too downscale. If I were to buy this car, I would go with cloth, which I have no problem with anyway.

The looks on this car as sensational, and the trunk is quite large enough for my needs. The dashboard and overall interior feel strikes me as quite typcal of Japanese cars in the mid-teens, not as classy as that of say the Maxima.

I test drove the 6-cylinder auto and was not as impressed as I expected for a car that has supposedly clocked 6.5 (or better) with a stick. This is subjective. To me it felt like an 7.5-7.7 0-60 car which is fine, except I want even more pep in my next car. I did appreciate the torque - it not that noticeable, but the smoothness of power was nice. The tightness of the steering was exceptional - I wonder how many miles that will standup for.

If this car were - with cloth and a an auto 3.5 listing for $22 or even 23 and selling for $1,000 less, it would be much more attractive. As it is I think it is overpriced. I can remember a few years ago you could (briefly) buy a Maxima for $20,000! As several astute posters have pointed out, you can now buy a Maxima for about the same price - or even less. The Maxima interior and overall is a car in a different class. The Maxima probably has only one year left before redesign, so this isn't the best year to buy one.

I didn't get a chance to put the Altima through a good test of handling, but what I did experience did not dissapoint me.

Having gotten used to the ride of a luxury sport cruiser, the Altima would take a little adjustment, but this is where it is apples vs. oranges.

To conclude, as long as the Maxima is priced so similarly, the Altima is not a great value. My dealer showed me Altimas on his lot priced at $29.5K. For those in the market for an Accord, 626, Camry sort-of car, it is definitely worth a look.

Aurorabill
    95 Aurora (98K miles)
  • flyingfish176flyingfish176 Member Posts: 22
    Can someone please tell me whether the new Altima is the same chassis as the Nissan Skyline?
    No, the Altima is based on a new platform, not related to the skyline.

aurorabill: I agree with almost all your points. I ad a similar assessment after visiting the dealership and looking at the Altima and Max. I would not, however, discourage anyone from considering the Max when looking for a V6 sedan - especially so since the Max is a near-lux car (when optioned so) with good performance. Even if it's due for a redesign next year or os, it's still a great buy now.

Still, even if one were to look at the 2.5 models, in the low 20K range, they would have to seriously reconsider the quality of the car (in build, fit and finish, quality of materials ... although some people are willing to overlook those 'liveability' criteria in favor of the 'driving experience', which in the 2.5 is hardly better than the competition), as compared to others in that price range and car-type. The Accord and Camry both have much better qualities in those areas and with similar pricing. The Altima, I agree with you, woud be a great buy in the $16-$19K range, but that's not going to happen with the way dealers are gouging now.
  • oac3oac3 Member Posts: 373

Could have sworn I said all (or part of) that a few times already :) But seriously, an '02 Altima in the $16-19k range ? Get with the times, I was told... you haven't shopped for a CAR (emphasis mine) in half decade, I was told... where would you get a family sedan (sans the Hundai's, of course) for under $20k, I was told... Now you, fasterthanu, dare to suggest a 16-19k price for an '02 Altima. You must be kidding, right ? Yeah, maybe a stripped down model, yes ? Sheesh ! don't say that too loud around here or you might get run out town....

BTW, you don't happen to own a Max and a full-size SUV now do you ? If you do, you are in for more rough times around here, hehehe....couldn't resist that joke :)
  • doctorrocket9doctorrocket9 Member Posts: 11
    We own a 2001 Accord EX V6, and we're in the market for another car. I used to drive Audi's, and I still love them when they're new, but I've dumped two in a row right after the warranty due to endless problems, so I will never buy another Audi, but I would like to have a good time. Hence the Altima test drive. The four wasn't bad, and the six was a blast, and oddly enough, the exterior design is vaguely Audi like. Handling was of course mushier than an Audi, but not awful. I do agree with the many posters who feel Honda is a much better value, but no doubt the Altima six is more entertaining to drive, and I'm still mulling it over.
  • lsclsc Member Posts: 210
    The Altima may not have the best interior materials but I wouldn't go as far as to say that it's going to rattle and squeak a year down the road.

The 2002 Camry was just reviewed by Edmunds and although it was qualified, they had a number of rattles and minor build quality issues. What? The Camry? That can't be! Just like there were several Honda Accords with misaligned body panels that I saw...

Don't confuse cost cutting using cheaper plastic with lower build quality.
  • flyingfish176flyingfish176 Member Posts: 22
    Thank you for answering my question. I'm really wondering why the two cars look so similar. I probably couldn't tell the difference by looking at pictures other than from the headlights and tail-lights.
  • gerapaugerapau Member Posts: 211
    obiwankenobi1: You stated "So if I can do it in my Max, I don't think an Altima with a 6 speed should have a problem." I think that you may have trouble finding that Altima with a 6 speed seeing as though they don't exist. The Altima can be had with either a 4 speed auto or a 5 speed manual.

cupholder1: "Okay dude, get real... A WRX vs MAXIMA SE? The WRX will win EVERY TIME under equal conditions and drivers." A 6 speed 2002 Maxima SE with LSD vs a WRX would be very close. Current published times for the Altima 5 speed have it at anywhere from 5.9 secs to 6.4 secs. I haven't seen any published times for the Max yet (I don't think that the LSD is available yet) but expect it to fall in the mid to high 5s or just about where the WRX is. That said, the Manual has only been out for a couple of weeks and if Obi has an auto Max then I tend to agree that the WRX driver didn't really come out to play.
  • cncmancncman Member Posts: 487
    Congrats on choosing the maxima, it's a darn fine auto, when are you picking it up?

No way, an article actually had a complaint about the Camry? That's sacrilege! Next thing you know they will bring up the fact that Toyota has decontented the Camry 5 times in the last 10 years! If you want to get an idea of this, look at the gap when you open the driver's door where the door meets the front quarter panel, you see exposed foam padding. And they still haven't broken the critical 200hp factor. Fact is you can't go wrong, quality and reliability wise with a toyota, nissan or honda, my family has had all of these for many many years and gobs of miles,
    all have given excellent service, only junk we had was my escort in high school. So, if you like the altima better than the CAMCORDS, get it, if you like the others, get them, I would have no problem recommending any of them to any of my family. If it was my grandmother, I would recommend the Camry, if it was my Brother, I would recommend the altima.
    Not plagiarism! I did read your posts early on and the emotional reactions to them by Altima proponents. I am concurring on your point that the Altima in the 2.5 guise does not stack up to the $21-$25K competition, but its build and materials qualities make it more appropriate for the $16K (stripped) to $20K (nicely optioned :) class of 4 CYL family sedans, like the Stratus and Malibus and Sonatas. The 3.5 cars have great performance, without question, but the build quality and materials are the same as if you bought the stripper 2.5, so how much more is that engine and suspension worth? Granted you'd pay for leather, auto climate, cd-changer and power seats, and moon roof too but at that price point that Nissan dealers are demanding, the Maxima (and other cars as well) has it beat all over the place.

OAC, I don't own a Max but my next door neighbor does (loaded) and it's a GREAT car for the money he paid last year, which ironically is less than what a loaded Altima costs now.

And I wouldn't worry about debating people on these forums - it certainly makes for interesting discourse, wouldn't you say? If they gang up on you let me know and I'll help ya out!
    Boy are you guys hard on a car because of a perceived lack of quality on interior materials. After sitting in one I don't think there is anything wrong with the way the interior is built. I'll admit it's not as good as the Maxima but I don't think the Maxima is going to stay in the same price range of the Altima for long. Does anyone have SPECIFIC things that would bring the Altima down into the range of a Sonata? I mean things like flimsy plastic in the arm rest or something like that? Because other than a slightly lesser feel than that of the maxima I have found no problems with it. The Accord and Camry are good but not perfect.

And I personally have seen an Altima 2.5s, on the lot no less, for under $20k (barely) It was "stripped" (power windows locks AC telescoping/tilt steering CD Auto etc). The Altima will be the same as every other "spotlight" car (WRX, P5, IS300 etc) The price will soon become negotiable and less than MSRP will become the norm.
    Um...those highly cheesey plastic pods that the chincy gauges sit it. The dashboard that feels like a bunch of legos...hard, mass produced and not the least bit inviting. The silly trap door under the climate control is flimsy hard plastic too. The center console feels like it should be on a ride at disneyland, not in a car that according to Nissan's PR used the Passat as a benchmark. If Nissan hadn't stupidly claimed to be chasing the Passat, then I probably wouldn't think the interior was a complete, unabashed dud, but when they invoke the Passat, they must realize the new Altima isn't even in the same class as far as interior components.
    Added to BlueGuy's list, with which I agree wholeheartedly:

the center console shakes about too much. The pop-up armrest feels easily breakable and blocks the cupholder when up. The plastic around the HVAC and radio controls scratch easily. The 'wood-like' trim that peels off like a plastic Pokemon sticker. Their orange/banana color looks ugly too IMO.

Did Nissan really claim the Passat as their benchmark? I didnt know that.
    So your not really gauging it on it's own merits your tellimg us that because a PR department guy said that they were chasing the Passat it's junk?

Ok I understand, personally I was trying to judge the interior on materials and quality not necesarily design flair. I felt that the materials were just fine. I will agree that those gauge "pods" aren't the most attractive and the gauges aren't nearly as pretty as the maxima but I personaly wouldn't call it an "unabashed dud". The 97 Saturn SC2 (my car I hate to admit, I'm sorry it was a great deal and I needed to replace my car fast) now THAT's an "unabashed DUD"! The Altima is merely a bit disapointing to me. I still feel that the Altima is a very worthy competitor to the Accord and Camry
    Ok I never said anything about the "wood" that stuff is just AWFUL. Personally I can't stand wood in a car anyway but that's me.
  • speedracer3speedracer3 Member Posts: 650
    I agree with Blue and others that mentioned that Nissan goofed by claiming that their interiors would rival those found in VW and Audi. I really think they intended to use better plastics and they went with a "cost cutting" option at the last minute. Unfortunately for Nissan the stone had been cast and the buying public is not stupid. To add insult to injury Nissan went as far to say the Altima had "atmospheres" just like Audis. I really do like the Altima but to me there are two atmostpheres on the Altima:

1) Dark cheap plastic
    2) Light cheap plastic.

BTW...I am a BIG Nissan fan, but I call it like it is.

Speed
    Gerapau - Thanks! I was worried posting that because I honestly DID think the Altima was a 5 speed, but was unsure. The Max is the only one with a 6 speed.

Cup & Blueguy - Why don't you guys come over and bring your WRX's so I can race you? What's that? Oh, you don't OWN a WRX! That's right! Go ahead and bring the VW's. That should be an easy accomplishment. I'll even give you a head start! :)

Don't go stating things if you don't have back up!

Obi
    2002 Nissan Maxima SE
    Sterling Mist/Frost
    3600 miles
    It wasn't just a Nissan PR guy who claimed the Passat as a benchmark. Back at the introduction of the Altima Nissan's CEO stated that the Passat was the benchmark for the car inside and out. My reaction upon sitting in an Altima was, "Did the designers ever get into a Passat?!"

I go to Nissan News all the time. Read everything I can get my hands on about the company and I still like my 91 Stanza more than my 2001 Jetta 1.8T. I'm still considering buying a Nissan and trading in my Jetta. But I'll probably go for a Max or G35.
    <<Don't go stating things if you don't have back up!>>

Take your own advice, chief. You remind me of the people on VWvortex who gleefully recount dubious tales of 1.8Ts besting S2000s. Please, you've got a story that's just really tough to swallow and you wander around chest puffed up as though people are gonna believe a Max can take a WRX, assuming both drivers know what they're doing. I love Maxes, but they're just not equal to the WRX in either straightline or handling performance.

Live in your dreamworld.
  • cyranno99cyranno99 Member Posts: 419
    my brother had an RX-7.... he was caught off guard by a Maxima and he had to go way above the speed limit to pass the guy.....
  • ronoboyronoboy Member Posts: 32
    We've had ours for several weeks and so far no squeeks, rattles, nothing has fallen off :) - no quality issues at all come to mind. Only complaint is early returns on city gas mileage (on tanks with city-only driving) has so far been just under 21, which I hope will get better over time. Highway mileage is high 20's with the automatic 4 cylinder. Are there any other 2002 Altima owners on this board who are having the problems being predicted by posters on this board, regretting their choice, etc.?
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ...in actual ownership experiences, as distinct from predictions and debatable assumptions. Let's hear more from people who actually have bought the car...
  • mckaguemckague Member Posts: 24
    I stick to my original recommendation of an altima over an suv. Here's why:

1) I stick to my statement that, on average, suvs cost more to buy and to own. As for crapgame's $40 k suv costing almost as much to insure as his toyota camry, that has nothing to do with his insurance company deeming the suv safer than the camry. The suv just costs them less than the camry on average. Why? Because for several years the camry has been either number one or number two on the list of most stolen vehicles in the US. Besides, one data point doesn't make a trend. Even if the insurance costs come out about the same, the point of the extra expense of buying, maintaining, and fueling still stands and easily swamps any difference in insurance, which still may go in favor of the car.

2) As for size issues:

a) Not being able to put an adult in back seat with car seat in middle for any more than a short trip:
    i) This is a question of vehicle width. The altima is every bit as wide as your average mid and small sized suv. In order to get anything wider, you need to either be willing to buy one of the very few mid or small sized suv's that are wide enough to be comfortable in the above situation (this is a fine hair to split here, and is also a matter of taste), or you better be willing to pay for a full sized suv
    ii) Ask yourself how often you will need to take an adult in the back seat along side your child in the baby seat for more than just a short trip. Compute how many miles this would add up to relative to how many you drive total. Pretty small fraction, I bet. Not nearly enough to offset the down sides of the suv, I bet.

b) Not having enough room to fit baby, car seat, presents, stroller, baby bags, toys, 2 suitcases, etc..., without having the wife sit with the friut cake on the floor. Again, how often does that happen? Christmas and on my kid's birthday? I believe in buying a vehicle that meets my needs the majority of the time, not buying the one that is best only on occasion and represents numerous compromises for the majority of my driving. I know that for me, the altima will be plenty big enough 95% of the time, no exaggeration. Besides, so your wife has to put the fruit cake on the floor, so what?

3) Safety should also factor in handling and braking ability, and the vehicle's propensity to tip over. This is a complicated issue. It's not just a matter of saying my vehicle is biggest, so I win, or bringing up some anecdotal evidence and running to the ends of the earth with it. There are many factors to consider. Some weigh in favor of size and weight, some against. All weigh in favor of good design and excellent road manners. A car with good crash test scores (admittedly yet to be proven for the redesigned altma), good safety features and a safe design, good size, and excellent maneuverability, stoppability, and stability should go along way towards providing safety for you and your family.

4) Whether or not you want to share this with your spouse is entirely up to you, but the fact that a person is considering purchasing an altima means that he or she wants to have some fun while driving. An altima will be more fun, IMHO, than an suv, particularily an suv in its price range.

If this is off topic, fine I'll take it to the appropriate list, but I don't think it is as it directly pertains to a post from a person considering purchasing an altima.
    Isn't the wood interior optional? So, don't get it. No big deal, right?

Some of you guys are just being brutal. I drove one with cloth and no wood and it looked fine to me. So, Nissan spent the cash on the 240hp powerplant. True.

You think that is a bad thing?

-juice
  • dyarbroughdyarbrough Member Posts: 2
    During the wait for the dealer to locate my new Altima I did some additional shopping and saved an additional $100 plus picked up mudguards in the deal.

Net result was $18,799.50 ($18,450 "invoice" plus $349.50 "documentary fee" - or "minimum markup" in my book), plus NC tax and tag. Total cash price $19,408 out the door - no trade-in or financing - vs. sticker of $19,626. This is for a 2.5S auto without convenience package (too much money for alloy wheels, power seat, and electronic toys in my book), with mats, microfilter, and mudguards.

Dealer is Harrelson Nissan in Rock Hill, SC (suburban Charlotte, NC). They operate Nissan, Toyota, Mazda, and Ford stores in the area and their prices are typically hard to beat.

Car is beautiful - silver with charcoal trim - and turns a lot of heads. Driving experience has been wonderful - no problems, although only 500 miles so far. It accommodates my 6'8" frame with plenty of room to spare, on a level with Passat for a WHOLE lot less $$$.
    Not a bad thing IF a buyer is like you and cares ONLY about the driveability and not liveability of a vehicle. If all one cares about is that, get a better driver like the WRX or a BMW 323. Sheesh - can't believe you think critiquing a car's shabby 'wood' trim is brutal. I think the car can take a little criticism.
  • spridledogspridledog Member Posts: 63
    You know those beautiful, multi-page, fold-out Altima ads that are inside millions of magazines right now? Next time you see one, check out the photo of the interior. Look carefully at the center console, where the automatic shift gate is. The plastic/rubber trim surround that seals the gate to the console is coming off at the corner! I can't believe that no one at Nissan or their multi-gabillion dollar ad agency noticed that! I hope this isn't indicative of Altima quality. I'm sure it's just a fluke, but it's pretty funny!
    Hey! Take it easy! Remember, I just LOOK goofy! Doesn't mean I am! :)~

Also, I know what happened that night, so please if you would, let me live in my dreamworld. Oh, that's right, it was a REALITY that night.

That said, I actually WOULD like to race a WRX Sedan and see what happens. I don't care if I lose. I would like to see how close it is. It is NOT going to be huge margin, I'll tell you that! Remember, I drove a WRX sedan and it was fast, but it did not feel much faster than my 02 Max. It is all just fun and games...hey, where is that "My car is better than your car!" topic? :)

Also, I need to drive one of these new Altima's to see if I am missing anything.
  • aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    Well, if the WRX doesn't get a good launch, I think it's possible for a Maxima to outrun it. From what I've read, the WRX is pretty gutless below 3000 rpm, and you have to drop the clutch at at 5000 rpm to get a good launch. How many WRX owners are willing to do that to their car just to win a stoplight race?
This discussion has been closed.