Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW New Beetle Problems

leptolepto Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Volkswagen
purchased June 1998 I/ $1500.oo Master Guard Platinum Plus warranty

at 23357mi :
1) stereo problems (they replaced it) warranty covered
2) engine hesitating at takeoff (replaced engine control unit due to ROM fault) warranty covered

at 40000mi :
1) the battery has died out on me twice (needed jump start) NO warranty cover
2) electrical rob. with door lock/arming system (currently replacing something in my driver door) warranty covered
3) driver window control switch sticks up and down position (replace under warranty)
4) check engine light (replace vacuum hoses) warranty covered

the dealer, McKenna in Hunting ton Beach, CA, told me that the vacuum hoses were cracked and broken causing my check engine light to come on. I asked if he thought that this was peculiar being the car is not very old at all and he said "Nope." just like that..

I told him I thought it was very strange.

also my battery needs to be replaced at my expense ($140) after only 3 years!!!!!! i asked him about it being related to the short with the door problem draining the battery and he said "Nope, it's just an old battery that needs replacing"

i told him that USUALLY batteries last 5 - 6 years minimum these days.. no response from him.

they've had my car 6 days now and i asked about getting a loner car because my warranty provides for one after the dealer keeps the car 24hrs.. he told me that they had no loners and that if i was told that by the sales person when i purchased the car, i was lied to..

he told me that "ALL salesmen LIE" those exact words came out of his mouth, i couldn't believe it!!!!

thanks VW of America!!!!!!!!!!!

ps. mine also burns approx. 1QT oil every 1000-1500mi

Comments

• ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    i know for gm they are obligated to give you a loaner if your vehicle is in for warrenty work
  • fun2cfun2c Member Posts: 1
    I am wanting to get a Beetle, but have a young child and am worried about safety from the back seat. The child will be in a BOOSTER seat. I can't find any Safety info on crashes from the back. Any help???
  • bckermitbckermit Member Posts: 2
    I love my 2L Automatic GLS 2000 Beetle when it starts. The engine shutting down on startup is a problem that they can't seem to fix. The beetle's engine will turn over but not start. It is as if the beetle stalls (or shuts down) one second after starting. The problem is intermittent. They have replaced everything related to the imobilizer, ignition, control unit, and some sensors. All the service people at the dealer know me by name since I have been in so often. They are trying but they can't fix it.

I would appreciate any hints at what is wrong and how to fix it as the warranty is expiring.
  • finisterefinistere Member Posts: 1
    I've had my beetle now for four months just thought i'd let you know the minor problems i've had with it so you can watch for them. the first is that the hose clamp from the powersteering resevoir was leaking, easy fix. the second, and i'm assuming will be, if it isn't already, a common one is that the power window stopped working, at first i thought that it had simply come off the track. After disassembly, however, i realized that 2 fairly high tension wire cables were held together with a piece of plastic. which, you can not buy seperatly, the whole assembly retails for $95.00. ...be nice to your power windows!!!
  • eeeleeel Member Posts: 57
    well - it appears this car has many problems - autoweek just finished their long term test on the turbo - which performed as poorly as the long term test of the base model - both cars had clutch replacements in less than 25k - (not covered under warranty) - as well as a myriad of problems (trim falling off / smoking wires / elec. problems / battery failures etc.) - the first test rated the car lower than a yugo with the amount of problems they had - and after checking they found that this was similar to other owners/testers. and the maintenance costs were very high. saw 2 of them burning on i-95 in maryland when they first came out - mucho problems !!! - the other car mags long-term tests didn't fare too well either - seems to be a hands-off for this car- with all the known problems and the additonal problems of getting any warranty work done by vw - the cars mags seem to ignore it and have given vw a free ride
  • vickersnvickersn Member Posts: 2
    How about the 2001 Beetles. I'm looking at the 2 liter gas model, just your basic GL for highway commuting. I commute about 110 miles a day and would like something that would last 100,000. Since that's the power train warranty, I though this would be a good choice. Should I skip it and buy a Honda or something?
  • sdbauerssdbauers Member Posts: 1
    I also have had a rash of problems:
    1) The mud guard under the front bumper breaks apart easily. I was just driving on snowy roads, and the snow knocked them off - $200.
    2) Both headlights and the headlight switch burnt out. Original dealer mechanic said that the special connector to hold the right headlight housing was broken, so they would have to cut up and destroy the housing to get to the light bulb. Replacement was $336. Luckily, a second mechanic overheard, and said all you need to do is giggle it just right.
    On the light switch, that was $200 which luckily (and with some convincing) was covered by the Wynns Extended Warranty. Extended Warranties seem to make sense on this car.
    3) Just found out that both front and rear brake rotors need to be replaced - and oh by the way, rear rotors are on National back order - might be a couple weeks or a couple months.
    4) This car is also burning a quart of oil about every 2,000 miles.
  • talyatalya Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 beetle, absolutely the worst car I have ever had. I have leased two other cars in the past an acura integra and a sunfire. Never in my life have I spent soo much time in service.
    I am convinced that my car is lemon!!
    Problems:

1. Listening to everyone complain about the power windows switch's yes I have had the driver's side windows switch fall out, this already seems a given.
    2. Try this one, last week, the passenger window came crashing down when rolling down the window!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    3. The week before that the temperature gage, was flashing on and off, vw dealer wanted to charge me a $45.00 diagnostic fee, I opened the manual in front of them and told them what it said, either to check the coolant level or that there was an electrical problem.
    4. This week's problem: The air bag indicator light is on constantly, meaning that the air bag is malfunctioning - and this is suppose to be a safe car!
    5. The fuses in my car have blown out 3 times already, and they keep replacing the cigarette lighter.
    6. the alarm on my remote stop working
    7. Oxygen sensor has been replaced already once before - that was another light that was flashing
    8. In February, the driver side headlight went out.
    9. Last week, the passenger side headlight went out.
    10. ABS and brake lights come out during the winter for no reason in park!

Of course, my warranty is 40K and of course I am out of warranty 48K. All the major problems started happening right after the warranty ended.
    They've replaced my lighter 3 times to have the fuses fixed.

Guess what the dealer told me to do - buy extended warranty!

The car is a lemon!!
    If anyone is having similar concerns please email to discuss.
  • dbroschatdbroschat Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 NB also has an intermittant no start problem. My airbag light stays on after an episode of not starting. From what I can gather from other NB forums, it may be that the instrument cluster has a low voltage problem somewhere and needs to be replaced (seems to be a common problem). I have an appointment on 7/16/01 to get mine replaced under warranty. Hope it works!
  • thommasapthommasap Member Posts: 1
    I am the second owner of a 98 VW Beetle. Purchase my Beetle with 22k under original miles from original owner, included with an extended warranty. I notice that the oil was being consumed, complain to VW dealer, they monitored; I was told by service manager yes you are losing oil but there was no out exhaust signs. After a few qt refills by dealer they agreed but regional manager did not give OK> Had to go to nearest VW dealer next to where I live and start the check all over again. This service manager thought I was chasing a white ghost. I still persisted; following week I was complaining to someone else. This service manager agreed that car was consuming oil. I also complained to VW Consumer and they log it and followed it up with the dealer. Finally after five 1qt refills, with the mileage being recorded every time from 1k to less then 8 hundred miles per 1 qt check, the dealer got the approval to replace the piston rings. I asked around for advice about ring replacement, feedback was not good, suggestions were to get them to replace engine. Service manager listen to my concerns but told me that I would have to have rings replaced first. At this point my mileage was now approaching 43k. (second owner factory warranty runs out at 50k) Car was brought in for ring job. After engine was taken apart, engine block was examined noted scorch. Service manager told me that they would have to replace engine. Warranty now covers engine 1ys from replacement date. (2) My air conditioner burnt out, thank you God, previous owner purchase the best extended warranty. Its covers almost everything except regular maintenance items: brakes tune-ups etc... tap.
  • wayfarer75wayfarer75 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 99 GLS with the 2.0L engine. Have had it since May 1999. During a severe cold snap last December my heated oxygen sensor conked out on me. It was replaced under warranty.

That's it.
  • wayne2970wayne2970 Member Posts: 1
    I would have to fly a fair distance to I/u...
    appears to be clean only 25k
    alloys and spoiler with ad changer
    owner says she lost her job

pinons wanted

wayne2970@yahoo.com
  • 1badsidekick1badsidekick Member Posts: 135
    Hello. I know I probably shouldn't ask this here, but I can't find another conversation that I can ask it in. I have a '98 Suzuki, and want to trade it for a '99 VW New Beetle GLS 1.8 Turbo. The car has 21,400 miles on it, and looks and drives great! I fell in love with it as soon as I pulled out of the dealers lot and squalled tires (woops), of course, that was after spending 10 minutes trying to find reverse. If any of you have any feedback as to whether I should trade my Suzuki with a failing rear differential (only problem I've had with it) in on a '99 Bug, tell me if I'm making a mistake. I appreciate all advice!!!
  • jillorinjillorin Member Posts: 1
    My 2001 automatic New Beetle has just over 5000 miles and is not turbo. I've had a few episodes lately where it will be accelerating and then suddenly start decelerating. The more I push in the gas pedal, the more it decelerates. It seems to be downshifting itself instead of shifting up to the next gear. If I take my foot completely off the pedal and then step on it again, the car will commence accelerating. The dealership removed my aircleaner box and replaced the massair meter, but the car did it again less than three hours later. Any ideas?
  • chasmala1chasmala1 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1999 Beetle that I like very much except for one problem. During the summer or warm weather there is a bad musty smell that comes out of the vents when I put the blower on. It's ever worse when I first turn on the AC. The dealer told me there was nothing they could do. They suggested I spray Lysol in the vents under the hood. I did that and it last for just that one trip. What makes it smell so bad and how can I get rid of it? Any suggestions?
  • jccsscjccssc Member Posts: 44
    My 99' GLS NB (with only 14500 miles) passenger headlight just went out couple of days ago - I purchased one year of extended warranty when I bought it new in 09/99. So the basic warranty has not expired yet. I was told by the VW Service Dept. that the headlights are covered for only 12 months/12000 miles. But when I reviewed the owners' manual, it says ...light bulbs (except for halogen headlights & instrument panel lights) are covered for 12 months/12000 miles. So is my headlight covered for 2 years or just 1 year? Any thoughts?
    Also, I do feel that VW Service Centers don't really care about VW owners (this is my first VW). They act like they are doing me "favors" by taking my car in for service (either I pay or warranty covered). And I almost have to "BEG" them for a loaner for warranty works which never happened at my BMW & Acura dealers when I took my cars in for warranty works. Anybody has the same feeling or it is just my bad luck at VW dealers?
  • oldhippyboboldhippybob Member Posts: 1
    2000 BEETLE 2.0 I ENGINE SO FAR IT USES OIL LIKE ALL THE REST OF THEM (1QT TO 1M MILES)WINDOW SWITCH HAS BEEN REPLACED TWICE FRONT MUD GUARD IS HISTORY. CLUTCH MASTER CYLINDER QUIT AND LEFT ME STRANDED IN THE MIDDLE OF A BUSY INTERSECTION.
    I FIGURED AFTER MAKING THIS CAR NOW FOR A FEW YEARS THEY WOULD HAVE CORRECTED THE SITUATION.
    CANT' WAIT FOR MY LEASE TO RUN OUT.
  • cbarber2cbarber2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 WV Bug, purchased new in November 1998. In the last 18 months have had several problems. Driver side electronic window control has been repaired twice. Both headlights have been replaced. Bug also uses oil like there is no tomorrow. Heated oxygen sensor is out, dealer tells me it's no longer under warranty ($500 plus to replace). Most recent, come out of store and car will not start at all, nothing!! Has been towed to dealership. Can't wait to find out what's wrong this time!!!!!
  • baynes_jbaynes_j Member Posts: 1
    1998 Beetle with 54,000 miles. Brought new off the lot.

1) Uses oil
    2) Driver's power window switch fell out for the second time.
    3) Air Conditioning died (and the window doesn't work!)
    4) Can't change my own headlights, have to have a dealer replace them, so much for German engineering.
    5) Fog light lens broke, would cost $350 to replace cause have to pull grill apart. So much for German engineering. I left it broken.

Going back to Toyotas.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I noticed in the new Consumer Reports Used Car Edition for fall, 2001, they gave the new Beetle's repair record a terrible review. LIsted it as a "Car to Avoid".
  • zueslewiszueslewis Member Posts: 2,353
    and I see the same issues with nearly every Beetle (and Jetta) I look at for lemon law suits. I love the cars, they're fun, cool and all that,but Volkswagen is definitely keeping the firms I work for in business.

I understand, from one of you previous posts, your position on lemon laws and I agree - please e-mail me at spindoctorseven@yahoo.com - I'd like to give you some interesting (I think) observations.
  • used2bdrinkh20used2bdrinkh20 Member Posts: 2
  • used2bdrinkh20used2bdrinkh20 Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a new beetle in May '99, love driving it and how it looks - it's a fun car. HOWEVER, after having the 2 year maintenence done including rotating of the tires, the left rear brake pad -(or whatever) screeches when I turn left (only left). The mechanics tried to adjust it and it's now worse, even over bumps it screeches (you know I'm coming down the road before you see me!).But I now realize this is the least of my problems, for over a week the car was hard starting ONLY in the morning after sitting all night, and that the trip odometer was resetting to zero - being a woman without much car experience, I thought maybe I had left a light on or something to drain the battery -after all, it's only 2 years old with 18,500 miles on it. This morning it died completely, and I had to have it jumped ($52.00 thank you), took it in to a dealership where it sits right now. Is it possible for a 2 year old battery to go bad - this soon???????????? I had better luck with my old Cavalier. Has anyone else had these problems????
  • if1if1 Member Posts: 11
    Yikes, reading this board makes me a little concerned. I've got a 2000 New Beetle with a 5 speed and Turbo and have had no problems in the 10k miles I've logged. The car is fast and fun, roomy and reliable. However, the dealer service dept is full of pinheads,so I dread any problems. Maybe I should sell it now...
  • bigm1bigm1 Member Posts: 10
    My wife has a Turbo - 5 spd. It only has 4,400 miles and has already been in 3 times for the EPC light going on. This has all happened within 1,000 miles.

1st time - the dealer just reset the code. That lasted for 2 miles.

2nd time - Anti-slip light was also on and engine had no power. Dealer replace combination valve. Fix lasted 10 days and 600 miles.

3rd time - replaced accelerator pedal w/potentimeter (what ever that is!) Fix lasted 300 miles.

Anyone have any ideas (other than finding a new dealer and/or getting rid of the car) or had experience with EPC light?
  • dradiedradie Member Posts: 2
    My EPC light goes on if I accelerate too hard while the cold engine light is on -- so that makes sense b/c I shouldn't be accelerating hard when the car is warming up. But this morning, after the blue cold engine light went out, my EPC light stayed on and my check engine light came on. The EPC light eventually went off, but my check engine light is still on -- the second time it has come on and I have only had the car for a month. Not to mention that my trunk wouldn't close earlier this week, so the dealer changed my trunk lock. If anyone has had any similar probs, please let me know -- it has only been a month!
    Finally getting to the bottom of it. A replacement EPC module is on order and will be getting installed tomorrow. Dealer said it would take 2 weeks to get the part, but in "casually" mentioning this has happened 4 times and I needed to check the "Lemon Laws", the part magically showed up in a few hours.

In reply to Dradie - my wife really babies the car. She doesn't accelerate hard when the engine is cold. In fact, the EPC seems to come on when the car gets hot. Last time was in Stop/Go traffic.

I have confidence that it was a faulty computer. Time will tell. If it happens again, the dealer will have the opportunity to buy the car back.
  • loungerlounger Member Posts: 32
    I own a 2001 Beetle 5 speed with the 2.0 engine. A bit after the 1000 mile mark, the EPC light turned on, with a significant reduction in engine power. On restart, it would clear sometimes and operate normally. At other times (could happen on restart or after driving for a while) the EPC and MIL (malfunction indicator light = check engine light) would light up; sometimes just MIL, sometimes just EPC, sometimes both.
    I took it into the dealer, and they replaced the throttle body. These cars (the 1.8 T and new for the 2.0 in 2001 according to my service advisor) do not have a throttle cable. When I step on the accelerator pedal, an electronic signal (think of a radio knob) sends a signal to the computer, which then sends a signal to the throttle body and actuates the throttle. The part of the throttle body receiving the electronic signal was not operating properly in my vehicle setting off the warning lights. My car now has 3500 miles without further incident. I saw the internal dealership paper work for my repair, and the part alone cost like $600. I hope this helps you fellow Beetle owners facing a similar problem.

As an aside, my 2001 Beetle with 3500 miles on it registers full on the oil dipstick. Something must be screwy when I read about so many peoples experiences with high oil consumption on the 2.0 engine in various VW models. I have not had to add a drop, so I assume that there is some significant variable in the manufacture of the 2.0 engine (my engine code begins with the letters AZG)
    William
    Dealer replaced the Electronic Control Module. Started for home and within 1 mile, the lights came on again. Immediately turned around and headed back to the dealer. Had perviously brought the Service Mgr into the loop. He immediately gave us a loaner car and they will be checking with VW on the Tech Hot Line.

The saga continues.
  • dradiedradie Member Posts: 2
    thanks for your post lounger -- in fact, that is exactly what my problem was -- they replaced the throttle body and it was fine all weekend. hopefully this is the end of it! bigm1 -- good luck!! I hope everything works out and the car gets fixed for good!! I understand your frustration to a certain extent -- keep us posted!

dradie
  • dewumpydewumpy Member Posts: 17
    I've refrained from posting anything here because I still owned the thing. I do not recommend it. During the two years and 2 months I owned my 1999 Beetle GLS, the a/c constantly had problems (including dying twice), the driver's side window broke TWICE and the passenger window once, the battery died a year and a half after I purchased it, the tape player died, the cruise control didn't always work right (and at one point did not work at all)and my local service department was TERRIBLE! Because of them, in addition to the above repairs, an inside door handle was not properly reconnected after repairing the window, the auto lock switch was broken after reconnecting the inside door handle and the outside door handle was broken when fixing the other window. I had to fight with the dealership to get them to fix anything after the warranty expired (even though they "fixed" it under warranty once (or twice) before) and most recently, the dealership made me call VW headquarters to file a claim for the second break of the driver's side window! Then, when it came back and the outside door handle did not work, I had to fax a letter to the owner of the dealership and explain that if they have the vehicle for a week and it comes back with something new broken on it, they most likely broke it and should fix it for free! The service manager agreed with me, but when we went to pick up the car, they tried to charge us $200 for the repair! If you are going to buy one, I highly recommend a substantial extended warranty. I traded it in almost two weeks ago, with a value higher than blue book (they really wanted a sale in SF area) and was thankful to be done with it.
  • cb2doubledcb2doubled Member Posts: 1
    My 1999 TDI Beetle is going through some growing pains. I love this car but it is wearing me out lately! I purchased it new two years ago, and aside from some early quirky incidents with the glow plug light it has been REALLY low maintenance. And the MPG is fabulous--I only fill the tank once a month or so. So, in general, no problems. Until this spring.
    Within the past month (at 26,000 miles and five months from the 20,000 scheduled maintenance) I have replaced the fuel filter, the battery and now am looking at the passenger window, which started sinking into the passenger side door this morning. I called VW about the fuel filter, because the Owner's Manual says that it should be replaced at 20,000 and it wasn't--the gentleman on the phone said that he'd "have to look into it" because they had been replacing it at 30,000 miles, not 20,000. I offered the page number in my manual. Of course, I haven't heard any updates there. The battery really has me stumped--as well as my mechanic. He said it just didn't make sense to him that the battery should be dead at 26,000...but then he doesn't work for VW. The only VW service departments that returned my call within 60 miles couldn't set an appointment for three weeks.
    I understand that we Americans have grown accustomed to no-maintenance cars, and on some level we sound like whiners most of the time...but dropping more than $300 (not including the upcoming window repair), and having to use non-VW service because the dealerships are booked for weeks--that is exasperating. And now I'm reading about problems with clutches...yikes.
    I thought I would have this car forever, and I'm really thinking about ditching it. THAT'S really disappointing. I have a friend with a Jetta and he has had lots of problems with his power windows as well. He's an avid VW fan--talked his parents into buying one too--and he's switching to Suburu. I may just follow suit.
  • betaerrorbetaerror Member Posts: 4
    hi, i also have problems with my 2000 NB. it's 2.0L and burns oil. let vw fixed it with the "repair kit" they came out with. still burns oil, together with new problems. the engine is so noisy when the rpm hits 4000. also, engine temp light went on in blue, while driving on the freeway for over 30 minutes. the car is totally screwed. i'm waiting for BBB to contact me for an arbitration. but if i can trade that car in or sell it at a reasonable price, i'll get rid of it instead. i tried to trade it in at anderson honda, but they are willing to pay only $11,000 for that POS. please let me know where did you trade your car in for a value higher than blue book. thanks.
    The dealer finally looked up a fix in the repair manual. They ended up replacing wire connectors in ECM and wire connectors in throttle housing.

Seems to be running just fine now and has for the past few weeks.
  • magpupmagpup Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 New Beetle (black) with about 25,000 miles on it. I have written to VW because my paint is cracking in circles and wearing off... quickly. I know I take excellent care of the car, washing and waxing regularly, but fear that the company will blame owner care for the problem. So, in preparation for that response, I have checked out some other black New Beetles on used car lots in the area and found that they, too, are losing their paint. It occurs on any surface that faces into the wind when you drive... like the hood, the fronts of the protruding wheel wells, and the front bumper. In fact, on the areas worn near the rear wheels, the finish looks gray instead of black. I have already talked with a local dealer and all he could say was that it was out of warranty... nothing he could do. At 25,000 miles, warranty or not, this is wrong. Does anyone else have this problem? So far, I have only seen it on black exteriors.
  • slummyjslummyj Member Posts: 57
    I just started reading these posts. My wife has one of the first 98 New Beetles in our area. Last year the battery in her car failed. The guy from AAA who came out to jump start it, said his boss had replaced the battery in her Beetle. Of course at 6p.m. the only place we could find that had a battery was the dealer.
    She also has had to replace the driver's power window switch and the radio...she said the tape player is acting up again. I guess the problems are not so unusual.
  • chrisy128chrisy128 Member Posts: 4
    My 2000 2.0 burns oil too! This is the first car I have that requires me to add engine oil, and the funny thing is, the dealership calls that 'normal'!

I didn't know about it until a few months ago, when I took the car to a nondealer for my 15000 service (not covered by the 'free scheduled maintanence service for the first 24,000 miles'). No one in the dealership ever told me anything about burning oil. If this is normal, why didn't they say anything so I can properly maintain the car? I don't understand why VW schedule maintenance service every 5000 miles if they know that the car burns oil, and without adding engine oil, the car will consume ALL the engine oil!

VW should really do something about it.

Can we file a class action lawsuit under the lemon law or something?!
  • medicalendarmedicalendar Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 99 Beetle and have had the following problems:

-A/C did not work right off the lot
    -Battery died at 24 k, I had to pay $200.00 for the dealer to reset the computer
    -The trunk will not open with the remote, or using the console.
    -I just paid $277 to replace the driver side electronic window opener
    -Oil pan ripped open with a small rock
    -Door panel vinyl is coming off
    -Cap on emergency brake came off

I will never ever buy another VW and would advise others to do the same. It is no wonder you see so many used Beetles for sale right now. I don't even feel good selling the car directly to somebody, so I will have to let the dealer have that on their conscience after I trade that piece of [non-permissible content removed] in.
  • blackbugblackbug Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2000 VW GL2.0...Beginning at about 3,000 mi., I have had the following problems:
    -electrical problem
    -clutch slave cylinder went out (towed)
    -ignition switch loose - replaced - still loose
    -A/C works intermittently
    -unstable idle hunt
    -suspension loud squeak over sp. bumps
    -interior door handles delaminated
    -gas intake switch broke twice

My questions are these: I have had this car at the dealership six times to fix the squeaky suspension. It keeps getting worse instead of better, and the service dept. does not know what it is, just replacing parts. Also, does anyone know about the unstable idle/hunt problem? There is a tech bulletin on it, but when I asked for it at the dealership they would not give it to me, and said this is the way VW engines run. I also tried to order it from VW, and they were "out" of it. Now we are trying to make a deal with the dealership and VW to trade this car in for a new 2001 model without loosing our shorts! This may be a mistake after reading complaints on this site.
  • christa2000christa2000 Member Posts: 1
    I'm starting to be bothered by the hardware problems that I have run into with my Beetle.
    It has 20,000 miles and is 17 months old and I had it in service for several times:

- Fuel door didn't close ("repaired" twice)
    - Window lift switch fell off
    - Wheel cover fell off
    - Fuel door didn't open

The VW "service" sucks. Despite having a repair appointment today, bringing it in at 12:30, they told me at the end of the day that they didn't get to work on my car due to scheduling problems/work load. They don't care that customers take time off work to accommodate their schedules, and how they get to work due to their delays. Quite upset here.
  • betaerrorbetaerror Member Posts: 4
    Finally, VW repurchased my oil burning New Beetle. I suggest everyone who has tons of problems with their VW to check out the lemon law of their State, and hire a lemon law attorney if necessary. After driving a VW, I think they are making cars that have poor quality and reliability.

Below is a link to the Federal Trade Commission web site http://www.ftc.gov/opa/predawn/F88/vwcons.txt

Oil burning is not a new problem of VW. However, according to the consent order from FTC, Volkswagen must place advertisements in national magazines, distribute posters to its dealers, and add statements to its owner's manuals which disclose the availability of arbitration to owners. These notices will also highlight the fact that arbitration is available to remedy certain past oil consumption-related problems. Under the consent order, Volkswagen also will make publicly available, for 1984 and later model cars, the product service bulletins it routinely sends to its dealers. In addition, it will also prepare easy-to-understand summaries of the more

significant bulletins. Volkswagen will advertise the availability of service bulletins through new car window stickers, owner's manuals, brochures, and other printed promotional materials.

Did VW really comply with the above consent order? How many VW oil burning victims bought the vehicle without knowing the previous oil burning issue VW has because VW didn't disclose it? If these victims knew ahead of time, will they still buy the vehicle? Oil burning victims, please document all your repair orders, and file a complain at the www.ftc.gov. Hopefully, when the FTC is flooded with complains regarding similar issues, they will investigate into it. Also, remember to check out the lemon law, hire a lemon law attorney if needed, or check out the BBB arbitration program.

• dewumpydewumpy Member Posts: 17
    Hi Betaerror... sorry for the lack of response on where I traded my Beetle in: my computer died for a while. Anyway, I'm SO happy for you that VW purchased your car back! If anyone else wants to know, I traded my VW in at John Irish in Marin County, CA. They really wanted to make a deal on the new Liberty (pre-WTC)and sell, but had no incentives. (If anyone is looking to move to an SUV, I highly recommend the Liberty! 7000 miles and only an alignment problem that was fixed immediately!)
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    How much oil did your VW burn exactly? I was curious because a certain amount of burning is acceptable with most manufacturers, but of course not an excessive amount. I was wondering what the Lemon Law interpreted as the bottom line.

JANUARY Road & Track magazine has their long term update on their VW Beetle (50,000 miles or so) and it isn't pretty. Nothing DRASTIC happened, but the car seemed to fall apart after 20K miles. It's an interesting read if you want to look at it. Their car was a '99 model.
  • melodybmelodyb Member Posts: 2
    I've read through most of the problems people are having with their New Beetles. I own a 1999 gls 5 speed with 38, 760 miles on it. I have also encountered having to replace the battery at 28,000 miles, headlight going out, Air conditioner going out (replaced under warranty) parking brake tip popping off, side mirror knob broke off...Oh yeah, and my car burns oil like water, but now I have a problem with my power steering. The car will steer fine until I slow down to turn into a curve...the steering will acutally become stiff. If I am stopped at a light, I can also feel the steering getting tight...actually like there is not any power steering. Once I accelerate, the steering loosens up again. Now check this out. I took my NB to Freeway Volkswagon of San Bernardino. They first told me the problem was a power steering pump. They replaced it for $289. I took the car home the problem was still there. I called the dealership who informed me they were backed up and could not get to my car until a few days later. I also complained to VW of America. Why? They were of no help. Finally got the dealership to look at my car again. This time they said I would need to replace the Rack and Pinion (however you spell that) Steering for $868. They did not take anything apart, it was just a guess after a few of the technicians drove the vehicle. It was explained to me they start with the least expensive part and work their way up. WHAT!!!! I picked up my car without the repair and had to nearly beat the Manager to get my money back for them repairing my power steering pump when that was not the problem. I was out one hour of labor. Needless to say, I don't know what is wrong with it. I was told that it could be the pressure switch. Anyone heard about that?? Please help. I am very upset and will damn near give this car to someone.
  • turbotexasturbotexas Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 tubo new beetle. First thirty days both power window switches drivers door broken. Arm rest latch broken. Interior dood handles delaminating. Poorly operating remote latches, gas,hatch. Dec 31 2001 all ready to go to lunch . Car won't start. Push start, take to dealer. "can you bring it back Wednesday? It's New Years Eve." No joke sherlock and my 20,000 Turbo NEW Beetle should work @^%$%^$@$^#!!!!. Buy a new battery $115.00 and installl battery in parking lot of dealership with the wrench from the tool kit, Car will still not start !!!! Push start car and go home. Try it again, it won't start. Push start car and idle in driveway for a few minutes. Airbag light comes on won't go out. I checked the post on this site. This has happened to folks before something about a low voltage condition. The dealer and VW obviously know it!! I have read all of the complaints and I could have written them all myself. A co-worker had an identical car and had identical problems.He sold his. VW is selling junk.
  • carlam_8carlam_8 Member Posts: 1
    My beattle is only 10K and it's burning 1.5 qt per 1000 miles. This is unbelievable, I took it for the second time for an oil consumption test because the VW it's telling me that it's normal. Have anybody found any written document where it says that it's normal???? They haven't been able to show it to me...
  • sunny_in_holsunny_in_hol Member Posts: 1
    We just got rid of our lemon. It was a silver 2000 NB GLX with the 1.8T & 5 spd trans. It had 18,900 miles when we dumped it. During that period of time the following parts needed replacement:
    Clutch
    Fuel pump relay
    Timing belt
    Timing belt tensioner
    Cam shaft oil seal
    2 valve cover gaskets
    Cruise control module
    Outside temp display
    Outside temp sensor
    Instrument console
    Rack and pinion

The lower intercooler hose popped off requiring the car to be towed back to the dealer. The rear trunk lid could not be adjusted correctly. When we dumped the lemon, the airbag light had come on as well as the check engine light. The car was well maintained and not abused. It is a fine example of German engineering gone haywire.
    Beware of the NB. Look at car point for all the other horror stories.......
  • njmikebnjmikeb Member Posts: 1
    Hello all fellow VW owners. I know one thing I am going to purchase the extended warranty on this car. So far my only problem is the oil consumption. I use exactly 1 qt per 1000 miles driven. I know eventually the consumption will catch up with the engine or at least the catalatic converter. Since the oil isn't leaking it's gotta' be going out the tailpipe eventually.
    My driving habbits are pretty much the same.
    A daily 60 mile commute on a busy Highway. Rt 17 in North Jersey. I sometimes drive a little fast around 70. Normally it's around 62 mph. I am surprised that I use so much oil.I am equally surprised that the dealer & VW of America say that is the normal consumption on this vehicle. After reading the Manual I knew I was toast. It has an entire page on oil consumtion. VW might not spend time fixing the problem but they quickly added the disclaimer to the Manual.
    Oh well, Since I Love My New Beetle
    I'll be adding the oil. My Dad is a mechanic & you would be surprised on how tough it is to find the specified oil 5w 40 / The book says I can use 10w 40 so I'll have to settle. Because of the consumption I'll try to find the exact oil.
    Other than that I've been lucky.
    I am checking with the New Jersey Lemon Law people. They are going to send me an info kit.
    Hey Ya' never Know.
    Peace Love & Happy Motoring..
    Mikey............
  • melodybmelodyb Member Posts: 2
    What problems were you experiencing to know that a rack and pinion was needed? Did you have it repaired? How much? It was explained to me by a individual who worked in an auto parts store that a rack and pinion will usually give you problems if the car was in an accident. Mine was not.
This discussion has been closed.