Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi TT

Comments

• habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Someone over here lobbying (i.e. trolling) on behalf of GM.

The marketplace knows better. Pick any car, any category and compare what a GM, Ford or Chrysler is worth in 3-5+ years vs. their Japanese or German counterpart. The depreciation is offensive. It has cost me less to own several $50k+ cars than the average $20k GM would have. Not to mention the indignation of rattles and fit and finish defects.

I am a patriotic American. We are world leaders in many fields. Biotechnology, information technology, aerospace, medicine, etc.. But automobiles - it's embarassing. Is it un-patriotic to call a spade a spade? Not in my book.

In working for several large public companies, I have always attempted to hold myself and those that worked for me to the highest standards. If the company I now own and manage could only achieve the same standards of quality as GM, I'd retire tomorrow.

You want to be patriotic? Promote John Hopkins Hospital. Nobody in the world does what they do better. But if you are proud of GM, you are just stupid, blind or both.
  • 759397759397 Member Posts: 79
    So what does it really say then about GM cars if these "probelm plagued" german vehicles retain more of their value than the resale challenged GM offerings?
  • ugly1ugly1 Member Posts: 52
    Is this the Audi TT message board? But since I've started let me add another variable. My friends say, Hey isn't your car in the shop alot? And I reply, Well it has 40K on it now and I get oil changes done in between Audi's recommended 10K changes but the point I want to make is that nearly every time I take my car in, the *&%$*@^ idiots at the dealership seem to create a new problem and I have to take it back the next day. I just wonder how much bad service has to do with the numbers. Good help is so hard to find.
    Good point - I know of people in this area that won't buy an Audi simply because of the limited options and bad reputation of the dealers. Same with Infiniti for me.
  • woodenshoeswoodenshoes Member Posts: 3
    I was talking to an Audi Sales manager who thinks the difference in performance is small b/t the 180hp front wheel and the 225 Quattro. Further, he said that you really don't experience the Quattro except if you're turning corners extremely hard, or on wet surfaces. I've had my heart set on a 225, but am now wondering if I'd miss it. Any insight would be appreciated.
    No TT insights here - except that you should test drive each extensively yourself. When I was roadster shopping, I found that there is no substitute for your own rear end to tell you how a car performs and handles.
  • woodenshoeswoodenshoes Member Posts: 3
    I was talking to an Audi Sales manager who thinks the difference in performance is small b/t the 180hp front wheel and the 225 Quattro. Further, he said that you really don't experience the Quattro except if you're turning corners extremely hard, or on wet surfaces. I've had my heart set on a 225, but am now wondering if I'd miss it. Any insight would be appreciated.
  • vinnynyvinnyny Member Posts: 764
    Woody: was the sales manager trying to sell you a 180? Audi's own sales brochure shows that the 225Q is quicker and faster by a wide margin (about 1.3 sec quicker to 60 mph and faster by 13 mph). I'm sure he's read the brochures and all the reviews, so he was probably being less than candid.

You can never have too many horsepower or too much traction!
    If it comes at the expense of weight and balance. Again, I'm no TT expert, but I have heard even among 180 owners in my circles the complaint that it is a heavy car. It is my understanding that Quatro adds a couple more hundred pounds.

IMHO, quatro is a weight penalty that I would carefully consider before purchasing. Unfortunately, unlike Porsche, the Audi alternative is FWD, which isn't the best handling set-up either. I won't dispute that 225 horsepower is better than 180.

I still repeat my point that it is a decision requiring seat of the pants testing.
    It is a shame that you can't get 225 w/o geting Quattro. If I ws still living in Calif I would of probably purchased a 180. But living in Cleveland I wouldn't be w/o the Quattro. I drive the car year round(probably the highest mileage '01 around - 41K). I blow by SUV's when its snowing. Probably 'cause they don't know how to use what they have. But anyway, I've also been told that the 225 is a better weight balanced machine due to the added weight/location of the Quattro. Your best deal is to drive them both but IMO the 225 is a blast, rain, shine and snow.
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    more on the 180 versus 225

Does the 180 bhp version have the KKK K03 turbo, whereas the 225 bhp gets the larger KKK K04 turbo?
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Again, like habitat said you have to drive both models to get a fell for them via your "butt-dyno." I also assume you're talking about the TT roadster which comes either 180hp/FWD or 225hp/Quattro. My only qualm with the 180hp version is that the rear suspension is not fully independent (beam connecting the 2 rear wheels). Someone correct me if I'm wrong too please. But you've got to drive 'em both!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

I think that's true because the TT is on the "A"4 platform, like the Golf, Jetta, New Beetle, & GTI.
  • michaell3michaell3 Member Posts: 1
    Sorry for changing the subject, but has anyone out there had problems with the brakes on their TTs (or other Audis for that matter) constantly squealing? I own a 2001 TT Roadster that squeeks every time I step on the brakes. The dealership is telling me that "all German cars have the same problem," which (I believe) is insane and "the car must be kept clean at all times," which, while making sense, doesn't explain why, even after they (or I) have cleaned the car and brakes, they still squeal. Unfortunatlely, at this point, they're telling me there's nothing they can do. Has anyone experienced a similar problem?

Thanks.
  • thor8thor8 Member Posts: 303
    Squealing is not a problem, meaning there is nothing wrong with your brakes mechanicaly, the squeal that you hear is a high frequency vibration between the pads and rotors most of the time, it is caused by the wear patern of the pads, the leading edge of the pads wears first causing a wedge shaped pad undetectable to the eye, when you ligthly step on the brakes, the rear of the pad is in more pressure than the front allowing the front to vibrate, if you step hard on it you wont hear it, there are some compounds applied to the back of the pad to spread the pressure evenly and alleviate the problem. The reason that is more prominent on German cars is because they are built for higher speeds due to the autobahn, their pads are softer because they use more carbon as a filler and less metallic elements, that is why you see more of that black dust on german car rims, but the softer pads prolong the life of the rotors and give a surer stop at high speeds.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Has anyone out there bought a used luxury car such as Audi, Cadillac or Lexus recently?
    If so, and if you're willing to talk about it with a major daily newspaper, please send your vehicle and contact info to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Friday, July 31. Thanks!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• ladybugnovaladybugnova Member Posts: 40
    Hi. Sorry for not posting in so long. I have put 10,000 miles on my 2001 amulet red TT180 quattro coupe, and the whoosh sound of the turbo still makes me grin. As an aside, I perused the last 100 posts and the troll who disparaged the TT, and her good looks, in comparison to GM products really irritated me. Anyway, on a more positive note, I drive the car everyday into the city. While the commute doesn't give the TT a chance to hum, I appreciate the small size when manuevering in the tight garage. We have taken her on several long distance trips, and she handles better than the vast majority of cars I have driven. Granted, a Porche or Vette she is not, but she pulls .9 gs on the skid with aplomb.

What I like best about the TT, however, is not the performance characteristics or the well-designed interior. The number 1 reason I like the TT is that it is one of my top 5 favorite designs of all time, a purely subjective view of course, but only one or two people have ever called the TT ugly. Whatever. The TT is beautiful.

I plan to hang on to the TT for a long time, which will be interesting with kids (hopefully) on the way soon. Our other car is a 2001 BMX XI sedan, which we will most likely trade in for an X5 4.4. I reckon the TT won't work with an infant, not b/c it couldn't accomodate a child's seat, but because my maternal instincts won't allow it. That said, I still plan to hang onto the TT, even if we relegate her to weekend fun trips. Yeah, a great excuse to grab an S4 for daily commuting!

I am looking into chipping and found the remarks you all contributed on it helpful. The manufacturer I will probably use is GIAC. A local dealer can install same. I am concerned that the chip may increase the risk of engine failure, but the other option is to upgrade to a 225, and I can't sell that to Mr. Bug. As to the warranty issues, as an attorney, the law is pretty clear--the chipping voids only that part of the warranty directly related to the chip.

So far, the only trouble on the TT has been electric (replaced the instrument cluster, with thanks to the audisucks cite for sending me on the right route) rather than engine-related. So I hope that with reasonably gentle treatment, I can enjoy the extra horsepower (23) and torque (85) and exhaust (15) without destroying the engine.

If anyone has anymore pros or cons on chipping or other modifications, please advise.
    Best regards to all.

Ladybugnova
  • skiman2skiman2 Member Posts: 11
    Hi, does anybody know if there are plans to introduce a 5 speed automatic version of the Audi TT Quatro? If so when will it go on sale.

I'm anxious to know. Thanks in advance for your insights.
    Rumor mill says an automatic will be available on 180hp FWD TTs only.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• jborden1jborden1 Member Posts: 12
    Hey all,

We have had our 225 hp tt for about 3 months and the other day I noticed someone had dinged the door. There is just a small dent on the passenger door. Can dealers get these out relatively cheap. Also I notice that this board is really slow and I would have thought the tt to be talked about, so is there another site I don't know about ?

Thanks alot

Jonny B
  • helplindahelplinda Member Posts: 1
    I would really appreciate any help or suggestions anyone cares to give me. Currently my husband is ill, and I am having to deal with some problems on his 2001 TT. In the past two years we have had 14 tires put on the car. It has been alinement twice. The car has 225 engine. I am being told the tires only last for 12,000 to 15,000 miles and that the car comes out of alinement very easily. We are very careful about how we drive the car, and this seems excesive in terms of maintenance. Thanks.
    It's most likely true about the tires. Performance tires, tend to sacriface longevity for traction. It's hard to find a longer wearing tire in the 225/45r17 size.

I may be wrong on this, but I believe the smallest diameter rims for TT is 16". Downgrading to 16" (and using 205/55 r16 tires) will sacriface traction, but also will allow you greater flexible in tire choices, allowing you to pick a "Touring All-season" tire. You'll need to purchase a new set of rims though. You can get say Michelin Energy MXV4, which has a tire wear warranty of 80,000 miles.

Hope this helps you.
  • ebcoopersebcoopers Member Posts: 1
    While we are on the subject of tires...I have a 2002 TT 180FWD Roadster. I have the 17 inch high performance tire. I also live in the NE. All the Audi marketing material say not to use these tires in cold weather, ice or snow.

Although the snows of the last few years have been few I am concerned about driving with these tires in the NE winter. Do any of you change tires for winter? Do you have separate wheels or do you mount winter tires on the same wheel?
    Believe the manual. I live in the Cleveland area and have a ball driving in the snow. I opted to have a dedicated set of tires and wheels for the winter. If you like your stock rims you should consider the same move. You can run 17" snow tires on the stock rims but you can also run 16" snow tires on 16" rims. You won't ruin your beautiful Audi wheels and the 16" tires will be considerably less than 17's. Try www.tirerack.com. BTW 16" rims are the stock rim for TT's w/o the performance package. At least it was in '01. If I remember my calculations right the difference in height between the 16 & 17 is 0.025".
  • edmtownhalledmtownhall Member Posts: 5
    I'm seriously considering the purchase of a 2002 Audi TT Coupe, 180 HP FWD (possibly the AWD) but I'm hesitant based on some owner-feedback. Granted, once you spend upwards of 30K on vehicle, you'll probably defend it with your life (kinda like buying a Macintosh, which I have and will continue to do, regardless of the inflated prices and slower processors) which is why it's hard to get an un-biased opinion. The reports of electrical failures on the TT are a bit unsettling since I live in the city, and I would prefer to have my windows stay UP when they're supposed to, and the alarm system active when I'm OUT of the car. After reading all these posts, checking out Edmunds own reviews along with Consumer Reports, the TT appears to be more of a neat looking toy than a fully functioning automobile. I am in no way trying to "dis" the TT, so please don't take that statement as an offensive remark. I've driven one, and I was pleased with the look and feel, except for the fact that you can't really see out the side windows, and if you're too far under a stop light, well, I guess you're out of luck (i.e. can't see the stop light anymore). I'm not interested in a 2003 Tip model. I enjoy manual transmission, and if that feature is discontinued, I'm wondering how well those models (with manual trans) will be supported mechanically (Audi doesn't seem to a have a very good "rap" when it comes to service). So... I'm starting to consider the S2000, but the lack of any trunk space whatsoever bothers me. I'd at least like to fit something other than myself in the car. Ideally I'd like to purchase an Audi TT used, but I can't seem to find a used TT Coupe in the Baltimore/D.C. area. Have most of the problems of the TT been resolved with the 2002 model(s)? I didn't notice any turbo lag when driving the car, but then again, I've never driven a car with turbo. I don't plan on racing anyone, but I would like a car with a bit of a pickup. The S2000 seems to be more of a rocket-on-wheels, but Honda doesn't seem to make cars which are mechanically unreliable (I've owned many, which is why I would purhcase one again). Of course money comes into play, and I'm trying to keep this whole transaction below (or close to) 30K. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    "The lack of any trunk space whatsoever"??

Are you sure you were looking at an S2000? On a recent golf trip, I got my clubs, garment bag, small duffle bag and various other odds and ends in the trunk. Another time, I actually got two sets of clubs in the trunk, albeit one was a travel bag. The S2000 trunk isn't huge, but it does a lot better than a Miata or SLK.

As for deciding between the TT and S2000, their driving characteristics are about as far apart as you can get in the two seat roadster category. Both are excellent in their own right, just make sure you get the one that compliments your style / preference. Our neighbors bought an early vintage Boxster a few years ago then traded it for a TT 225 roadster after about the 5th time the Boxster top got stuck in the "down" position. Now they are considering trading the TT for an S2000 or M Roadster, ostensibly to get back some of the "sports car feel" they had with the Boxster. When I asked them if either had driven an S2000, they said "no, but we like the looks of yours"! Wonder what they will get next.
    "Are you sure you were looking at an S2000? On a recent golf trip, I got my clubs, garment bag, small duffle bag and various other odds and ends in the trunk. Another time, I actually got two sets of clubs in the trunk, albeit one was a travel bag. The S2000 trunk isn't huge, but it does a lot better than a Miata or SLK."

I'm more concerned with the electrical problems reported with the TT. Although it does seem the TT has more trunk space, that probably isn't very useful if the car is being repaired every 30 days. So I'm looking for reliability first, practicality second.
    The reliability reputation of Honda was a factor that caused me to select the S2000 over the Boxster S. I was nearly prepared to pay the $25k premium for the Porsche, but got increasingly concerned about the maintenance and repair factor. Since this was to be a "fun" car, visiting the dealership frequently to resolve problems would have defeated the purpose.

I have not heard of specific reliability problems with the TT, but if that is your primary concern, you can't do much better than Honda. In addition to being fairly bulletproof, there is a much better dealer network. And, from my experience, S2000 owners are treated like royalty. The one minor problem I had when the car was new (broken top latch) resulted in two calls from the Honda regional representatives to make sure I was happy with the fix.

I still think the S2000 and TT are very different cars from a driver's perspective, but if you are going to make your choice based upon reliability, that's up to you.
    How's the outside noise with the S2000? If i purchased one, I'd opt for the Hard Top since I'm not really interested in a convertible/top down. The introduction of Tiptronic only in the 180 HP models of the TT is a serious drawback.
    Noise can be an issue in the S2000 with the top up. This is a high strung sports car. Even in 6th gear, it's running at 4,000 rpm at 70 mph. I suspect that even with the hard top option, the TT coupe would probably be quieter at highway speeds. I myself don't find the noise objectionable, but I have a Nissan Maxima to fall back on, if I'm carting around one or more business associates.

If you really don't want a convertible, perhaps you should consider the Nissan 350Z or Infinity G35 Coupe as alternatives. From what I've heard, the Nissan/Infiniti are a step down from the S2000 in handling precision, but they make thier power through lower reving (i.e. quieter) V-6's. Again, I personally liked the fact that the S2000 was a limited production, mostly hand built "sports" car, and would have probably opted for a Boxster S rather than go the mass market GT/coupe route. But they may be worth your consideration.
  • brucewgbrucewg Member Posts: 5
    I recently purchased a 2002 coupe, 180FWD, so you'll know in advance where I'm coming from. I was looking for a comfortable car that I would enjoy driving, not necessarily the "ultimate" sports car, and the TT fits my expectations very nicely. From my research I would say that the majority of issues with the TT were on the 2000's, some on the 2001's, and the 2002's have been very reliable. My initial (two week old) experience has been fine - a minor issue with the CD changer is my only issue to date.

The trunk of the coupe is quite good for a sports car.

You absolutely cannot find a car near this price range with the interior style of the TT. If that aspect is high on your list it's in a class by itself, and it should continue to delight for the lifetime of the car.

The Audi dealer/service experience is mixed. If you can find a dealer/service department you are pleased with stick with them, and they do exist, but just not in the vast majority. A few are really bad from what I've researched, a few are outstanding, most are about average at best.

Right now is a great time buy in my opinion - many local (SF Bay Area) dealers seem to have lots of TT's on the lot, sales are slow, and deals can be found. You should be able to get your TT for invoice (*not* MSRP) plus $500 - $800 (plus tax and license).

The car just plain feels good, tight, a of high quality - I've not experienced any rattles, etc.

Bruce
    I compared virtually every mid-priced sports car before I bought my TT. I came up with five finalists: Audi TT Roadster, BMW M Roadster, Honda S2000, Porsche Boxster S, and Corvette.

BMW M Roadster: a great performer, but the interior was too cramped. It was the only car that I couldn't drive in the rain without getting a wet elbow.

Porsche Boxster S: I loved this car! If it had been $10k cheaper and the maintenance costs weren't insane, I would have bought one in a heartbeat! Porsche should stop charging extra for items that are standard on every competitor.

Corvette convertible: best performer by a wide margin, but the dashboard looked too cheap. It even had the same radio as my 02 Tahoe (not to mention my old 97 Z28). I've always wanted a Vette, but just couldn't pull the trigger when I finally was in a position to buy one. I'll wait for the C6...

Honda S2000: this car rocked! Great handling, brakes, and acceleration. However, when driven at high rpm (the ONLY way to drive it) the engine noise was almost unbearable. "Cacophony" is the word that comes to mind. If the sound were more like the Boxster, the Porsche never would have entered my mind. A great third car, but I just couldn't live with it as my daily driver.

Audi TT: the poorest performer of the finalists--heaviest, least powerful, most body roll. Even with the stage 1 mod, my TT can't run with the others. However, the nicest interior, Quattro grip, free maintenance, best warranty and unique styling put it over the top for me. I've had the car for 15 months and haven't had any problems (or regrets for that matter). If ultimate performance isn't your #1 priority, then the TT is worth considering.

Good luck with your decision...
  • laptopkidlaptopkid Member Posts: 3
    I have heard of the 03TT having an auto box as option. This is sooo wrong! The TT is Audi's only sports car. A true sports car needs to stay with manual. (though even the Boxster offers the tiptronic system)
    And will the next gen. TT have less body roll to compete with the Z4, Boxster, and S 2000?
    TTs Rule!
  • leonivleoniv Member Posts: 120
    A common problem with the 225 TT roadsters, and probably with the other TT's as well, is the instrument cluster failing. Not the entire cluster, but one little gauge not working constitutes a new cluster. It's also common in the new A4's as well. I had mine replaced at 5k miles on my 02 TT 225 roadster b/c of the fuel gauge not working. Dealer said it's been a common problem. The car is extremely tight around corners (not as tight as an S2k) with the Quattro and the brakes are incredible, on par with the boxster and s2k. You must be careful how hard you brake though b/c some idiot drivers like to ride your tail and they'll end up in your trunk if you brake too hard. I had to pull over into a grass median to avoid someone skidding into me. No complaints here though.

Leon
    Isn't the Porsche 911 available with an automatic transmission?
    unfortunately, yes!

Unfortunate indeed - help me out over at the SL500 forum!!
    we usually see eye to eye on things being stick shift fans and honda owners, but you're on your own over in the SL500 forum...lol I'll come check it out, but I have to warn you, I think the SL500 is so beautiful (as are most Mercedes) that I would buy that car with the 2.3L Kompressor 4cyl:) besides...whatever manual transmission MB comes up with isn't going to do the rest of the car justice:)

I agree on the SL500 and wasn't suggesting it isn't a great car, automatic transmission and all. The SL forum got into a side debate on how you would spend $250k to fill your garage. "merc1" responded with the SL55, S55 and BMW M3 with SMG. I just let the idea of three automatic transmissions get to me, I guess. At least he could have picked the M3 as a 6-speed and given his left foot something to do on occassion!

Thanks for your moral support though. I'd hate to see all manual transmissions eliminated by European makers who look down on us Americans as too wimpy or ignorant to appreciate "driving" a car.

If you think we're "fanatics", you should hear one of my neighbors, "Manfred" who is a Daimler Chrysler exec transplanted from Germany. He drives a vintage 350 SL w/ 4-speed and claims that it's all the fault of "you Americans" that he can't get a stick in the current crop of higher end Mercedes offerings.

P.S. Sorry to muck up the TT forum with this digression; it's now out of my system.
    but I gave a somewhat candid response on the SL500 board. Watch out for those OT side debates...the hosts get pretty ticked off when those happen, so I decided not to get into it. I agree with you though that if you're somewhat of a "car guy" you've got to want at least 1 car in your dream garage have a stick shift.

The numbers don't lie though, especially in the high end market. 3 out of 4 Ferrari 575 Maranellos will roll off the factory with this type of transmission. The 12 Cylinder Aston Martin Vanquish comes equipped only with this type of transmission. Transmissions like the SMG (that have an electronic clutch, not an auto w/ torque converter) shift quicker than even the mosty highly skilled race car driver (and certainly quicker than you or I) provide the speed and control of a stick shift with the ease of an automatic when needed. They even blip the throtte on downshifts for you for christs' sake.

I agree that even though it does things better that it will never provide the feel and fun to drive factor of a manual transmission.

Back to the topic at hand though...The Audi TT. I rarely see a Black one cruising around, and there's one in my parents' neighborhood. The black is very sleek, sexy, and super stealthy.

As anyone thought of trying the Dieselgeek (www.dieselgeek.com) "race" short shift kit?

I figured if the TT linkage works on the A4 Golf/Jetta/New Beetle (which the TT is on the A4 platform)....the opposite should be true.
    From what I've read (and please correct me if I'm wrong), the TT Quattro uses the Haldex 4WD system as opposed to Audi's Quattro. What are the differences? Thanks!

• ttwannabettwannabe Member Posts: 1
    I talked to several Audi dealerships, and it sounds like 2003s will come with automatic as an option. They gave me different dates for when the cars will hit the lots though: ranging from October to February. One dealer told me that auto will only come with the 180/nonQuatro model. Interestingly, he quoted $42K as the price for the car, which sounds odd since the comparably equipped manual TT is only around $33K.

Does anyone else have other info?
    On my way back to my girlfriend's house on Saturday night from the METS game (yes I know admitting the problem is the first step) I was following a beautiful Black TT (225hp) coupe. The TT in Black and at night was a wonderful combination. Stealthy but sporty. I really made me think twice about owning another black car. I love the thick, 5 spoke 17" wheels, flowing lines, and 2 exhaust pipes sticking out from under the rear bumper.

Sunday afternoon a saw an Amulet Red TT Coupe and it too was striking. Red is a very rare color 'round these parts, especially for German cars. It looked good.

I just wish there was some way for Audi to put a sunroof (I know it seems like a ridiculous notion on a car with such a small roof) on the TT coupe. Most of you are saying, ok then put the TT Roadster on your wishlist then. I like the looks of the coupe so much more, and the TT Roadster (with Quattro) is out of my pricerange for now. I love sunroofs though. I always drive with mine open unless it is raining or cloudy. That's just me though.

I know this is off the subject, but I'm a NY fan too. My cars both have custom Hawaii license plates:

2002 Chevy Tahoe: "METS"
    2001 TT Roadster: "JETS"

I took my "KNICKS" plate off of my 99 Catera before I returned that hunk of junk to the dealer when the lease expired. I'll have to buy another car so that I can use the plates again. I tried to get "Rangers" plates, but you can only get 6 letters--maybe the next state I move to can do better. (Please, no remarks about becoming a Devils fan).

By the way, I looked at the black TT when I bought mine, but opted for the Nimbus Gray Pearl with the amber "Baseball" leather. You should think about the roadster if you like sunroofs so much. I've owned several convertibles and in my opinion, the TT has the best year-round convertible top available.
    As far as Sports go, it seems we see eye to eye on 3 out of 4 teams, take a guess which one. I'm a Giants fan! I LOVE THE RANGERS!

Back to the TT though. Nimbus Gray Pearl is also a gorgeous color, especially with the Baseball glove leather. I won't be in the market for a new car for a while as I recently purchased a leftover 2001 Honda Prelude Type SH at the end of April which I hope to keep for a long time.

One of the reasons I am considering the TT (hopefully they'll still make 'em 7 years down the road) is because of Quattro (My Mom's A6 3.0 has it and I love how it pulls you around turns) ,the turbocharged engine (My 2000 Saab 9-3 is turbocharged and I love when the Turbo kicks in), and of course the sheer beauty of the car! Every time I see a TT, it still turns my head.

Speaking of convertibles, how is the rear visibility with the top up on the TT Roadster?

The rear visibility isn't great, but it's about the same as other convertibles I've driven. However, I live in Hawaii, so I almost never drive with the top up anyway.

Quattro was a major factor in my purchase decision as well. Wet or dry, it makes a huge difference in handling. If I lived in the northeast, I wouldn't own a car without it.

2003 should be a great year for NY sports! I'll be making my reservations for the playoffs soon.
  • krg3krg3 Member Posts: 1
    I'd be grateful for any suggestions to this: I bought a new 2001 TT Roadster earlier this year. It has the upgraded Bose system, with a 6-disc changer, and a casette in the dash radio. I've been told by Audi (dealers and Audi cust service) that I can't replace the radio with a CD in the dash without screwing up the Bose system.

Do any of you know of a way to replace the radio only (w/a CD player) in this model? They say the 2002 in-dash radio (w/CD) is not compatible with the 2001 model. Again, I appreciate any help! Thanks!
  • whothemanwhotheman Member Posts: 169
    1. M3, Stick
    2. Lexus SC430
    3. Escalade
    4. Altima 3.5, Stick
    5. $3k 1994 Mazda MX-6 LS with Leather, stick
    6. 2003 Honda S2000
    7. Put a down payment on the insurance!