Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    player98player98 Member Posts: 54
    I guess i did not make it clear. when you answered to someone else they wanted to know about a coupe. just like you said if a dealer is low in stock of a certain vehicle then they will be less willing to give you a better pricing. the are less cps than sedans that is why is said that maybe the higher % of msrp as most people are getting on sedans may (but not impossible) be as likely.

even on realcartips.com you will notice that most coupes are sold for less % off msrp as opposed to sedans. for those cps with higher % off if you go to details you more than likely notice that there was a trade in.
    so i do agree with you that on a sedan you are more likely to get more off but may not be as likely on a coupe.

also on your deal you said that you paid $19,369 but paid $250 doc fee. in houston i could have paid $19569 and still have got the same deal as you because here in houston our doc fee is only $50. our OTD price would be different because as you know our TTL would be different due to different state.
    so to be fair the price paid specified should include doc fees and this would be price paid before TTL. other TTL fees will be different so the OTD price is not good to compare

so once you consider car price plus doc fee and no other TTL fees it would be more reasonable to use that to estimate % saved.
    i have seen a prices paid in forums that paid way less than many but their doc fee was $599 so once you consider that it kind of evens out with the rest of what other people pay in other areas.

but there are people who get exceptional deals so by all means go for it guys but keep in mind there will be less of those people. but none the less most here get better deals that those that go in to a dealership with out info. lots of people come to edmunds.com to get the TMV but most of them do not know of the forums here so they actually pay more than people that read the forums.
  • Options
    jason50jason50 Member Posts: 55
    You guys need to compare prices with dealers near your town or city as opposed to looking at what others paid in different parts of the country. It won't do much good to compare what someone paid in Newark vs someone paid in Houston. If you're gonna compare, ask someone in the forum who lives near where you live.Also, you might want to add if you had financed in addition to your OTD price. Just my 2cents.
  • Options
    billipsimobillipsimo Member Posts: 8
    I am in Atlanta and have an offer for a EX-L (4 cyl) for 22,690 with an MSRP of 27,075 including destination. I believe sticker adds $599 doc fee, $199 theft protection (hope to waive this - don't want or need!), $21 title and 7% sales tax.

This was after they tried to tell me that I couldn't have this price AND cash for clunker ($4,500). This is the best of the 4 internet quotes I recieved from local dealers via Edmunds.

Bottom line $22,690 + doc, title and tax - $4,500 CFC.

Realcartips.com rates this a B+. What do you think?

Cash for Clunker has changed my strategy of buying a used Acura TSX (can't find one at the right price for 2 months!!!!)
  • Options
    22332233 Member Posts: 64
    There are fewer coupes than sedans on the lots but the ones I saw in several dealerships have been sitting there for well over a month.

If you look at the last 2 pages of realcartips, the coupes seem to be selling for the same % off, about 17%.

Doc fees are crucial in evaluating end prices. Some areas charge $50 and some charge $850. Pure profit. I agree, docs fees should be entered into the equation.

The upshot of all these discussions should be that this a great time to buy a new car with the incentives and the federal tax deduction. The clunker promotion can make it even better.

I purchased the Accord LX-P, a 2009, for my daughter. In 1998 I purchased the same Accord for $20,500 which was $1,200 less in 2009.

In 2004, I purchased an Infiniti G-35x for about $35,500. In 2007, my wife bought a 2007 G-35x for $34,000 and today you can buy a 2009 G-37x for $33,000. Amazing, considering that all of these newer models have alot more packed packed into them than their predecessors.
  • Options
    That is 16.2% off sticker which is good but your doc fees seem to be steep. It seems that some dealers are charging a bit more if the customer uses the clunker program due to the supposed excessive paperwork.

I put your numbers in realcartips and it rated it a C. Still a pretty sweet deal due to the clunker program.
  • Options
    I'm not that familiar with the Hyundai line. Reportedly, their quality has improved a great deal.

I test drove the Lexus ES 350. It is a nice car and is priced in the high 30s. They will not have the incentives that the Accord has and they will generally not deal as much. It rides more like a Buick and is not as sporty as the Accord. My wife ended up buying an Infiniti G 35 instead since the Lexus drive was a bit boring. Still a nice car if a non sporty ride is what you are looking for.

Leasing is generally more expensive in the long run according to most experts unless a manufacturer is subsidizing the lease through incentives. I leased a Honda Prelude for my son a few years ago and will never lease again. You have to be concerned about going over the mileage limit and you are at their mercy when you turn the car in re repairs. I also didn't like waiting for the leasing bank to mail me a power of attorney form every year when I renewed by license plates. There is also a fee if you decide to turn the car in at the end of the lease. The pluses are that you only have the car for 3-4 years and you do not need to pay for many repairs since the car is usually under warranty for most of the lease.

For 2009 you get a $1,200 Federal tax deduction on the taxes you pay on a new car. If you are in the 25% tax bracket, you would save $300 this year on your Federal taxes.

Holdback is the money the dealer gets back from the mfg when they sell a car. Every car company is different but most companies pay a 2% bonus (from MSRP ) to the dealer on each car it sells. This is profit for the dealer. Some car companies pay 1% some 3% and a few pay nothing.

Many sites show invoice price including edmunds. Go to the edmunds home page and in the upper left hand corner is a new car section. Enter the vehicle and you'll end up with invoice price.

Re the Accord, it is loaded with safety items as standard equipment such as stability control. Others such as the Camry or Altima includes stability control as options. Just a couple of years ago you had to buy a Lexus or Infiniti to get the stability control as a standard item. I currently own 2 Infinitis, an Acura and now an Accord for my daughter. I feel that the Hondas are the most reliable based on owning 3 Accords and a Prelude in the past.
  • Options
    dealmaestro10dealmaestro10 Member Posts: 20
    Quoted a price of $26,200 + TTL and other doc fees ($150 in my area).
    Is that a price worth pulling the trigger on, all other dealerships are quoting me in the price range of $27K- $28K?

Thanks in advance
  • Options
    The $1500 is still in effect. Ends early Sept.

All dealers pay the same for the car in all parts of the US. The holdback is the same, 2%, and the incentive is the same, $1500.

The only variables are the number of cars they have and possibly the demand in their area. A small dealer with 5 Accords will probably deal less than a dealer with 300 cars on their lot although one dealer in my area only had 10 Accords and he matched the deal I received from a dealer with 200 cars. The amount of doc fee is the final variable.

Trade in amounts and financing can affect the price, if you don't pay cash, also but the invoice price, holdback, and incentives are the same everywhere.
  • Options
    mrcheepmrcheep Member Posts: 6
    Can you tell me the dealer name and where its located, I got a high quote of $28026. :( for the same car.. I'm in NJ by the way but willing to travel for the right price..
  • Options
    Please send me the dealership info as well, I will be in the Chicago area as well this weekend, please send me the info.. thanx. :)
  • Options
    I got a quote today for a G37x withy prem package for $33,900.. so it's comparable :);)
  • Options
    jhinscjhinsc Member Posts: 399
    I'm wondering why you had to order the Accord when it should have been immediately available, if not at that dealer, then at another. The incentives you're allowed is at the time of delivery, not when you place the order. It does appear you have a good price though.
  • Options
    boqibamaboqibama Member Posts: 25
    Thanks, I mentioned above to dealer, but for auto LX-P, they insisted on $20200 plus TTL, sad.
  • Options
    What are they charging for a doc fee? Are they giving you a better than average trade in amount or a better than average loan interest rate?

I paid $19,369 for the same car plus a $250 doc fee. No other variables. If you are not paying a document fee, then your deal is $581.00 more than my deal which 2 dealers gave me in NW Ohio.
  • Options
    dealmaestro10dealmaestro10 Member Posts: 20
    The dealership is FJ Chicago.
  • Options
    miltcmiltc Member Posts: 1
    You got a good deal. I just purchased one in Rochester NY and I have been searching for a month now. 28k, give or take $200 is the best no trade cash deal on a 09 ex-l v6 navi accord.
  • Options
    offriff1offriff1 Member Posts: 2
    What is the best price I should be paying for a level entry 2009 Honda Accord LX S coupe with automatic transmission? I am in Newburgh, NY Orange County area and will travel for right deal.
  • Options
    dominaldominal Member Posts: 6
    looks like the dealership at lisle, IL has enough business from the C4C program.

i had an internet quote on the EX-L V6 standard model for $25109 at the biggest dealership in midwest, so i went in today to check it out, find out that they don't want to share the $1500 incentive since i don't have a trade in and financing thru my own credit union. they want the above car with splash guards, wheel locks for $26900 before TTL and doc fee. the salesperson unintentionally show me there are still 2009 accord enroute to the dealership, so which means honda still has 2009 accord sitting at the factory. well, i guess i have to wait for a better deal then.
  • Options
    paws2paws2 Member Posts: 5
    Don't buy from Moorehead. They accused me of lying about the price I got from Middletown Honda. I got a fair price from them without really dealing. Friendly beat their price, but then Middletown Honda said they would match Friendly's. Middletown was closer to me. I got my Accord within 3 hours of signing for it. Went to bank, insurance company, lunch, then drove it home. It was as easy as that. They even told me what to sell my 1997 Accord for. My discount was about 17%. I was the first one to test drive the car. I only counter offered with one price-which was $300 lower than they offered so you probably can beat this for a better deal. Remember your price of gas and time. There was a cheaper deal in PA, but by the time gas was figured in there was not much difference. The convenience of being close was worth it for me.
  • Options
    harrydogyoharrydogyo Member Posts: 8
    Got a Accord LX manual $1205 due at signing $195 per month 36 mths. Had a great experience at Boch Honda, in Boston area.
  • Options
    offriff1offriff1 Member Posts: 2
    I wound up joining AAA because of the "buying program". They tell you what the special quote is....... I knew I could do better. Friendly quoted me $21,750 I got them down to $21,200. I probably could have done a little better by holding out but I was afraid of winding up with one in a funky color with that tan "ivory" interior. I got a black on black automatic from dealer lot. They were really great to deal with.
  • Options
    sarge2007sarge2007 Member Posts: 18
    Just purchased a 2009 Accord Sedan EX with Auto trans in Colorado Springs, CO, from Front Range Honda. There is only one Honda Dealership in this city with a population of 700,000, so it makes it diffcult to negotiate. Went with the so-called internet pricing. I offered $21,000 even, but the floor manager said no-way. Also they give NO military discounts or return buyer discounts. When I went to sign my name on the bill of sale, the price had increased to $22,600. I had to show them the internet price of $21,519 from a printed e-mail the salesman sent to me. This was a cash deal, and there were no dealer-add ons. I wasn't even offered a extended warranty.I guess the finance guy forgot to ask. I was not going to purchase one anyway. Also this dealer keeps the car until they receive the rebate from the government. They said it takes about 8-10 days, and then you can pick-up your car. If the dealer does not receive their rebate, then the deal is void.

I was able to place $3,000 on a Visa Credit card paying 1.25% cash rewards. That is most the dealer will allow a buyer to place per car purchase. In return, I received $37.50.

MSRP: $25,115

Price $21,519
    Dealer Fee $399
    Taxes (7.4%) $1621
    Cash4Clunker $3,500
    OTD: $20,039
  • Options
    Forgot to mention this dealer keeps $250 from the $1,500 dealer cash. I'm looking forward to completing my customer satisfaction survey from Honda in the next few days. That is customerresearch.com
  • Options
    07pilot4me07pilot4me Member Posts: 52
    pulled the trigger on an LX-P tonight

msrp: $23415
    internet price:$20000
    -$4500 clunker trade in

$17201 OTD

could i have gotten a better initial price:yes
    could i have gotten better price - C4C: no

dealers here (N Ca.) are arogantly charging msrp when a clunker is involved. overall i am pretty happy with this deal. a couple of weeks ago i had a $16800 OTD deal, which lasted for 10 minutes (the guy calls back telling me the deal was a no go, since his dealership put clunkers on hold during the 1st billion... they jacked up the price to msrp after the additional $2 billion was approved). the dealerships in the country should be a zoo this weekend, glad i could avoid this. these salespeople deserve a kudos for sticking by this deal for 3 weeks (yup i waited to see if i could do better around town), at any time during the 3 weeks they could have jacked up the price. :)
  • Options
    paws2paws2 Member Posts: 5
    Congratulations! Enjoy your new Accord. I know I do!
  • Options
    sd1980sd1980 Member Posts: 2
    FWIW,

Date: 08/19/09
    Price+doc: $20,900+$55
    Tax: $1,440 (8.75% - thanks Arnold...)
    Clunker: ($4,500)
    OTD: $18,250

Tried nearby dealer but they claimed the cars were 'moving too well' and they wouldn't go below $22,400. That's a fair bit higher than truecar.com shows (average: $21,134). Checked carsdirect.com and they showed $20,900 so I gave them a call. Took a day to find the car and I had to drive 90 miles to Riverside to pick it up, but everything went smoothly.

Well, almost. Dealer tried to charge sales tax on full amount, but here in CA the clunker cash is non-taxable. Would have added another $400 to the bill. After I pulled out some paperwork from the state pointing this fact out they recalculated the sales tax. Later I spoke with a co-worker who also did a clunker deal and he DID get charged the additional tax. He called his dealer back up and they claimed it was a mistake and they are going to refund him when they get the money for the clunker he traded in. Buyer beware.

As for the car, it's great. The more I drive it, the more I like it.

P.S.
    I see that carsdirect.com now shows $21,757. Huh? Prices are going up?
  • Options
    forgot to add

TMV: 21923
    carsdirect: 23000
  • Options
    danatldanatl Member Posts: 1
    Can you tell me the dealer (or street they are on) as I'm in ATL looking for same car. Did they have a good choice of colors?
  • Options
    Please explain how your sales tax came to only $1,440? $16,500 x 8.75% = $1,443 in taxes. What price are you basing the 8.75% on? This is very interesting.
  • Options
    sd1980sd1980 Member Posts: 2
    The sales tax is ($20,900+$55-$4,500) * 0.0875 = $1,440.

The $4,500 part is consider a non-taxable sale to the US government so it comes right off the top.

Again, this is a California thing (http://www.boe.ca.gov/news/pdf/l230.pdf). Other states may handle it differently.
  • Options
    timfromcatimfromca Member Posts: 1
    We also signed on the line tonight. We literally have a honda dealership over our back fence, but we still ended up driving 50 miles to get our deal because our 'local' dealer was being snooty about holding MSRP. Sucks to be him, I guess.
  • Options
    kpr1969kpr1969 Member Posts: 10
    I'm waffling between the LX-P (MT) and the EX (AT). I received quotes for each from a suburban Chicago dealer. Both included the $1500 Honda cash

LX-P (MT) - 19,800 + TTL

EX (AT) - 21,800 +TTL

Are these good deals? PS - No trade-in . Thanks.
  • Options
    the LX-P price looks to be high.
    the EX price can go lower. around 20,500.

lucky for you that you did not have a clunker to trade. you should have your way with the dealers this weekend. my advice is to get more quotes and if the dealers in your area have a good inventory then you should have no problems getting a lower price than that. i boiught an LX-P for $20000 - C4C and it was an AT.

2010 arrive in the middle of Sept. they will slash prices to make room for them!!
  • Options
    coolvistacoolvista Member Posts: 11
    I have received quote for
    Altima Coupe 2.5S + Premium pkg + Tech pkg + Dest = $25560.
    Accord EXL V6 Coupe + dest = $25600
    Civic Si = Only $500 below MSRP + dest :(
    Which one is a good deal?
    Please help me, I am confused :confuse: between Civic Si, Accord EXL, Altima (all coupes) :lemon:
  • Options
    The Accord is a 6 cylinder and is the best looking in my opinion, although the Altima and Civic si are also good looking.

The Altima 4 cylinder does not match up with the Accord V-6. The VQ 6 cylinder in the Altima is amazing but not the 4 cylinder. The Si is a cool car if that is the type of car you are looking for but it too is a 4 cylinder.

The deal on the Accord is the best of three.
  • Options
    mclarrymclarry Member Posts: 21
    how long does the current 1500 cashback special last. I had a dealer tell me sept 1, and another sept 8. When it ends, do prices really go up on 2009s?

Right now I've got a handful of quotes on a EX L sedan (without the v6 or navigational), most coming in around 22k before taxes title, fees. Any advice on how to bring them lower would be much appreciated. thanks.
  • Options
    Hi mclarry,
    It ends on Sept 8 as per edmunds.com
    22K is good deal and about prices, as 2010 accord is hitting the showrooms in next 2 weeks, price will go down if dealer hv many 09 models (even honda will give direct cashback to cust. on 09 models) otherwise the price will remain same.

Hope this will help.
  • Options
    Thanks alot. Yes I think if I want to save money I should go for Si otherwise Accord instead of altima :)
  • Options
    mr_lxpmr_lxp Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone - should we take this deal or keep searching - what do you think?

Thanks,

Mr. LXP
  • Options
    suhdosuhdo Member Posts: 4
    :) Hi fellow blogers!
    I live in Portland, Oregon and got a quotation for 24745$ (MSRP was $27155).
    Is this a good deal?? I saw some people get near $22.5K - $23K range.
    If you bought your EXL lately please share your purchased price (before tax and doc fee) with me. Thanks!! ;)
  • Options
    fredsmuckerfredsmucker Member Posts: 1
    Bought - and drove :) away with one this weekend for $27,400. OTD price

Great car, NAV system with the XM = alot of buttons to figure out.
  • Options
    malleshmallesh Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I am looking for 2009 Honda Accord EX AT Sedan. What is the maximum i can pay before taxes? I got quotes around 21K before taxes, title fees. Is this a good price?
  • Options
    roy2001roy2001 Member Posts: 62
    I had a 22.7k quote for EX-L i4, that was before C4C though.
  • Options
    mookie14mookie14 Member Posts: 252
    Guys i probably will try to get a 09 accord exl V6 with navi this weekend i called honda and they said it is possible to trade out lease.but i will have to pay wear & tear which will not be alot compared if i go to the end of my lease sept 010 which i will be on the hook for $3400.Cmpared to now like .015 X 43 miles = $6.45 so i got to look.im in the north what should be the price i should not go over on the ex-l thanks.
  • Options
    jhinscjhinsc Member Posts: 399
    I'm not sure what Honda told you, but when you trade out of your current lease, your car's trade value will be based on the car's current trade-in value the dealer will give you. Subtract your lease payoff balance from the trade-in value and that will be your difference. It appears you're prepared to be "upside-down" on the value, but hopefully not as much as your lease-end charges in Sept10. It's not as simple as "paying for wear and tear". Even though it has nothing to do with the trade-in value, you do realize you are more than 43 miles over your limit? You may only be only 43 miles over the total mileage limit of your lease, but being a year away from lease termination you are way above the expected miles you would have had you stayed within the mileage limits. Take the total miles allowed on your lease, divide by the # of months of the lease, then muliply by the months you've had the car, and the result will be the mileage Honda anticipates you will have on the car now. You'll find that number lower than your actual miles. Sorry if this is a bit elementary. I'm not trying to dampen your enthusiam to trade out, but hope you are being realistic about your current car's value.

I was successful in trading my 06 Accord for an 08 with less than 6 months left on the lease. I ended up ahead by a couple hundred $ doing so and saved myself from having to buy new tires with only a few months to go. Sometimes it does make sense to trade early.
  • Options
    msteve9487msteve9487 Member Posts: 2
    Hello. I live in TX and just purchased an Accord EX-L I4 on tonight for $24,500 OTD. It took over 4 hrs to finalize the deal and required patience! I was tired of them going back and forth and told them to call me when they could reach my price. I wanted $24,000 OTD but we settled on $24,500. My quote was $22,900 plus TTL. I'm very happy and will pick it up on tomorrow. It was late when we finalized the deal and they are going to clean it up and have it ready for me. I wish you the best.
  • Options
    suhdosuhdo Member Posts: 4
    Thank you for sharing the price with me!!
    Some reason the quoted price in Portland, Oregon area is much higher, 24.5K$ range... :mad: :cry:
  • Options
    I dont know why prices are not going down. Here in the houston area after several quotes and talking to the dealers over the phone to make them compete you could get that kind of pricing since this past may (at least if you knew how to negotiate).
    you still did much better than other houston people who only look at edmunds TMV and not at this forum.
    Also did your purchase price include any dealer add ons or did it not have any. I ask because most houston dealers are not will to include them without charge.
    what dealer did you buy from. did you finance through them
  • Options
    You can now see the 2010 accord at hondas main web page. i did a side by side comparison of the 2010 and 2009 accord and nothing really changed. there was like one 2 differences but not in any way major like some other people had suggested before. i did the comparison from hondas main page so it should be the most accurate one out there.
    if you plan to keep you car for a long time an 09 would do and could save you some money. also some people want to wait more and although there is only a few color combinations (exterior/interior) it will be more difficult to get the one you want the longer you wait. i got my coupe in june and there was only one in my area that had the color combination i wanted . finding color combination or exact color would be more difficult in coupes as there are less when compared to sedans.