Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra Owners: Meet the Members

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
edited March 2014 in Hyundai
Please take a moment to introduce yourself and share some details about your Elantra!

My name is KarenS and I am the host of the Edmunds.com Owner's Clubs. Please let me know what discussions you would like to see in your Club folder. I will create them ASAP. You may want to take a look through the other clubs to get ideas for discussions.

Also, if you are interested in a live chat, I can arrange that for you. All Club chats are set up on

Tuesdays:
4:00-5:00 pm PT/7:00-8:00pm ET

-or-

Thursdays:
5:00-6:00pm PT/8:00-9:00pm ET
6:00-7:00pm PT/9:00-10:00 ET
7:00-8:00pm PT/10:00-11:00pm ET
(The latter may be rather late for East Coasters, but is available if you want.)

Let me know if you are interested in a chat and the day/time convenient for you.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

KarenS
Host
Owner's Clubs

Comments

• elantragtguyelantragtguy Member Posts: 10
    First, I'd like to thank Karen for setting this up for us.

Hey everyone. I'm ElantraGTGuy, if you haven't noticed already. I own a brand new, Pewter (silver) Elantra GT. If your shopping for a car in the $15,000 range, this is *the* car to get. For exactly $15,000 including dealer fees (Orlando,Fl area), I purchased this car with automatic transmission and moonroof. I'm hoping to upload some pictures over the weekend. I hope to see everyone around in the future. Good luck!

-ElantraGTGuy

elantragtguy@yahoo.com

http://www.geocities.com/elantragtguy/

• cjaccettacjaccetta Member Posts: 236
    Karen,, many thanks for setting up these folders for us. I hope everyone takes advantage of our own little corner of cyberspace.

My wife and I purchased our pewter Elantra GT (base, automatic) four weeks ago and we love it. It is our primary use vehicle, meaning I drive it to work every day and we use it for trips and errands on the weekends. We just got through our 1200 mile break-in period so now we're ready to rock and roll! We get a lot of compliments on the car, especially since no one else seems to have one where we live.

Looking forward to posts from other Elantra owners, especially any owners in North Jersey or NYC area.

CJA
  • ebekinsebekins Member Posts: 21
    Hey! We have our own club now! I own an Elantra GLS with just about 7500 miles on it. Bought it at the end of March. Pewter, automatic, and we love it. I really like having more horsepower for this class of car. And it's nice to see more and more Elantras on the road here in San Diego county.

The more I read the press reviews of the car, the happier I am that I bought one, over the Civic which was our second choice. Great car!
  • beachlovbeachlov Member Posts: 2
    Elantragtguy-- I also live in Florida but in St Pete. Did you pay 15,000 out the door including all taxes etc? I was thinking bout getting the St with automatic and air. No moon roof. Know how much extra the moon roof costs? Wondering what kind of price I should be paying with air and automatic only out the door all included. Thanks Beach Beachlov@webtv.net
  • jcaccjcacc Member Posts: 10
    Great to have our own club! I'm Jim, live in NE Ohio and have a 2001 GLS, automatic, in champagne, package 4 (love the moonroof). I have about 5500 on mine, am getting about 28 mpg in city driving, and having a great time driving around and having people say "that's a Hyundai?"
  • elantragtguyelantragtguy Member Posts: 10
    Sorry for the late reply beachloy,

I paid $15,000 out the door W/O taxes. So with the 6% sales tax here in Florida, I ended up paying exactly $15,900 w/taxes. Again mine was an automatic w/moonroof, non-abs model. The moonroof will cost your around $650 MSRP, but don't pay that much. Look here at Edmunds at what price you should be paying.
  • griffey2griffey2 Member Posts: 6
    Hello all. I bought an Elantra, Package 2, ocean blue, last month. I now wish I'd bought a Package 4, but I guess we can't have everything.

I've been very happy with the car so far except for occasional squeaks coming from both left and right sides of the dashboard, and a slightly squeaky clutch. I will have them check it out at my 1500 mile oil change, but I doubt they are going to be able to duplicate the squeak noise unless they take it out for several test drives.

Two weeks after I bought the car, at only 150 miles on the odometer, an idiot in a Ford Explorer rear-ended the car. It is now in the shop with around $2000 damage, but all damaged parts will be completely replaced with Hyundai parts so should look good as new when finished (new bumper and trunk lid).

Anyway, here's to happy motoring.
  • cjaccettacjaccetta Member Posts: 236
    griffey2: tough break with your new car. But hey...at least you got your first dent out of the way early! I'm still so paranoid about door dings that I park across the street every time I drive to the supermarket.

Good luck with the repairs.
  • pigbagpigbag Member Posts: 3
    Thank you Karen for getting this up and running.
    I got my GAS,5speed & option package #4, in April and it now has 4500 miles on it. I live in the Raleigh, NC area and it took my dealer 4 days to locate one with 5 speed and option #4. They finally found one in Columbia, SC.
    So far this car has been very good. I am averaging around 30mpg between going to work on the interstate and cruising around town. This is also with the a/I on, when needed. I took a trip to Richmond several weeks ago and the ride was very smooth and comfortable. I was surprised when I looked at the speedometer several times and I was at 80-85. Didn't feel like it. The comfort ability of the seats is excellent on a trip. The only problem I've had is the plastic clip on the drivers side which holds the floor mat in place keeps popping out. The drivers floor mat has worn through to the rubber where my foot rests. I took it to the dealer for fixing and replacement of mat & oil change. Dealer initially said he wasn't sure about replacing the floor mat. I told him that since this car was covered bumper to bumper for 60/5000 then that should include the mats. When I picked the car up, the dealer said they had to order another plastic clip and also they would replace the mat.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    I've added a few more discussions to Elantra Owners folder. Let me know if there is something else you want added.

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • griffey2griffey2 Member Posts: 6
    cjaccetta: I think door dings are the worst! Worse than a rear-ender because the trunk & bumper will be replaced by an insurance co, but door dings seem to look rotten forever.
    Is there a Dent Doctor franchise in your area? I've heard they do a pretty good job of removing door dings.

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • compensatecompensate Member Posts: 212
    I finally got the salesperson to make a reasonable quote and now am proud owner of a 2001 Elantra GT, 5-speed, Pewter, with moonroof. I bought it yesterday around noon with 40 miles on the odometer. Now it has 180 miles!!!

I love the car! So far, not a single problem with squeaks, rattles, or shimmy/vibration. And the tires were inflated to spec!! (some have had problems with overinflation).

I can't wait to get through the break-in period!!!!
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    Pewter GT automatic with the ABS/traction/roof package...mud flaps and cargo net for $16k. 2800 miles....with a long weekend drive coming up. Light foot delivering 33-37 on the highway and mid to high 20s around town. Coldest A/C ever experienced...cools it down in seconds. Only buying gripe is dealer left tire psi at 50 all the way around. So much for dealer prep! As to the car, fuel gauge won't read full and button to collapse one of the rear seat backs is stuck. Gray dash fades in sunlight making it hard to read the trip computer. Otherwise, this is a superb piece of equipment for the money.
  • clarkemodeclarkemode Member Posts: 15
    2001 GLS white automatic with package 2...paid about $12.5k out the door. Having some initial problems like check engine light(canister valve), steering wheel shimmy(even after 2 balancings and rotations), Bad compressor(weak a/c and a noise), pull to the left at highway speeds and pull to the right at lower speeds...im getting leary about owning this car. All this after 1000 miles, its the most problems i ever had on a car! and this one is BRAND NEW.
  • nuanceglsnuancegls Member Posts: 16
    After the test drive of the Sonata 4cy... I loved the car and after he gave the price for the 4 cy
    I said MAN with that price I could get a Malibu v6 with a cd player...
    I said maybe i should go to chevrolet and try the car again ... anyway it was and on going battle with the salesman.. but I got the

Sonata
    V6 Gls for the price of 15,600
    poor guy ....he could not get me to pay more?
    do you thing a got a good deal?
  • tb88tb88 Member Posts: 242
    > > do you thing I got a good deal? > >

It all depends on the sticker price!

Take a look at one of the models that was chosen by Edmunds.com editors as Top 5 for September!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs

• yardbirdyardbird Member Posts: 30
    Details of my purchase on "What did you pay" thread.I feel I got a great deal with no hassles!I commute 150 miles roundtrip 4 times a week.In no time I'll rack up the miles...that's why I extended the warrenty to 10 yr/100,000 all around.I'll keep ya all informed as I drive,drive,drive.I LUV this car! Oh yeah,in Cardinal Red!
  • jim7heaven7jim7heaven7 Member Posts: 25
    My wife and I just bought a Elantra Gls with option package 5 with mudguards also. The car is midnight grey and both of us love it. My wife if the primary driver of the vehicle and she loves it perfect commuter car. She drives it around 88 miles a day, from work and back. Already have 3100 hundred miles on the car and have had no problems. Will be takeing it in for oil change Monday. When we were looking for a new car to replace the previous car she was driving, we looked at the Honda Civic&Nissan Sentra, and Altima. Let me tell you those cars dont come close to the Elantra. The Elantra has more standard options and a better warranty then all three. I would like to get a power sunroof, but decided to get the ABS and traction control instead since it was more important to my wife. I will be planning on looking at a new car to replace the car I am driving since it is going on 174,000 miles and it is about time to send it to the pasture. I am looking at getting either a Toyota Solara, Honda Accord, or The 2002 Sonata, but I have had my eye on the Elantra GT also. Cant really decide right now, but I am really impressed with Hyundai, so its a good chance we will be a two Hyundai family. My friends all drive Toyota's or Honda's. I like Toyota and Honda, but they have lost there way when it comes to price and standard features. My friend who has a 2000 Solara SE said why did you get a Hyundai, I kind of snikered and said, why would I get anything else, its the perfect car for what I bought it for. His jaw dropped when I told him all the standard features it had in it and the price I paid for it. Hyundai may still have an image problem with some folks, but I did my homework when buying this car and it won hands down. When I see other Hyundai drivers I just smile and know they did there homework to. As they say image isnt everything. I can see Hyundai severly cutting into Toyota and Honda sales in the next few years, I believe Honda and Toyota are already fealing the pain. The Civic engine was just to enemic for me and the Corolla what a ripoff, they wanted 4-5k more for less car. Its the company who treats the customer right and pays attention to details that count and Hyundai is that company right now. They just need to stick with that recipe and all will be well.
  • hyndaihyndai Member Posts: 1
    I'm not an ownwer yet but would like to be.

I'm in Toronto, Canada and have to wait 6-12
    weeks for a new Hyundai...Looks well worth the wait from what (little) I've seen or read. My other car is the XG300 and its really great-so far. We only get a 5 year warranty in Canada, but this is comparable to all other domestic manufacturers. If anyone has explored the Focus/Hyundai comparison issue - I'd love to hear your thoughts.
  • bfh1bfh1 Member Posts: 14
    We bought our 2002 Elantra GT @ sticker price-boo.
    But $0 down & 60 days no pmts. & they paid my trade in. Creative financing. Cobalt Blue, moonroof,auto, abs/tcs. Beautiful car. no rebates on 2002, $750 rebate on 2001- didn't want that one it was cranberry. Very happy w/ this car!
    Happy driving!
    What are the most important factors in your car-buying decisions? The Chicago Tribune is looking for a ranking of concerns such as safety, price, monthly payment, styling, quality, etc.

Please send your response to jfallon@edmunds.com, or post in Talk to the Press.

Thanks!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • jhnep1jhnep1 Member Posts: 9
    I bought a 2002 gls option 3 package 11/21/01. My daughter has it away at college. I haven't driven it more than 50 miles myself. Seems like a nice car so far.
  • pewter2002pewter2002 Member Posts: 9
    Just purchased my '02 Pewter (seems popular) GLS. I was torn between the GLS and the GT, was the extra few thousand worth it to me. My friend
    Bradley has a Black '01 GT, which I
    really like. Ultimately, I decided to go with the GLS and just add to it.
    So far, one month in:
    1 Fog/driving lights
    2 Black leather seat pads
    removeable in summer
    3 Black grippy steering
    wheel cover
    4 JVC CD player
    5 Ungo alarm system
    Total cost...approxiately $500
    I may have the glass tinted at Kalifornia Customs in the Spring...
    $180. I have a 5 spd, never really
    cared about the cruise-control...abs
    would have been nice, but apparently hard to find. The brakes seem fine though, more than adequate.
  • phillyglsphillygls Member Posts: 20
    Hello Hyndai

My wife and I own a 01 Elantra with 15.3K and we love it! We were especially impressed with the dealership, they treated us with respect and integrity. Before we purchased the Elantra we took a look at the Focus and were not impressed with either the dealer or the vehicle. We found the interior to be very cheap and the styling uncomfortable and awkward. I don't know what Ford was going for with the Focus' design, it seems unfinished. What confirmed our decision on the Elantra was the exterior look and interior quality (no gaps), the price, the warranty and the power-140hp. Additionally, we have yet to hear of an Elantra recall, whereas the Focus has had numerous recalls!
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I have a '01 GLS with about 8300 miles now and love it also. I looked at Focus and liked the ride and handling but did not like the things you mentioned, plus the driver's seat was uncomfortable for me. BTW, there was one recall on the '01 GLS right after it was introduced in the U.S., October 2000, on about 900 cars to replace sensors/wiring on the side airbags. No recalls since then.
  • mike91326mike91326 Member Posts: 251
    Pewter2002,

Where did you get your driving lights? Where did you place the on-off switch? What brand of fog/driving lights did you get?
  • jessie9jessie9 Member Posts: 5
    We bought our Elantra GT about a week ago and just love it so far. We got a black 5 speed manual with abs, traction control, moonroof, mudguards and floor mats....it came to 14990, with much good-natured haggling with both salesman and manager. Ended up splitting the difference for advertising with them. But we actually enjoyed the experience, they were good guys. The whole car thing was quite an ordeal....really committed to buying an economy car (we already have 2 camrys and one car payment still to pay) and couldn't decide between the safety and reliability of the civic vs. the awfully nice looking GT. We just couldn't resist it.......I think the seats are so comfortable and supportive, even tho the older camry is much roomier. I have one concern and was wondering if anyone else can give me any info or might understand what I'm talking about. the trunk. I do love it. But, the floor board thing in there seems so flimsy, like it really couldn't take any weight. And the seat backs in the trunk don't look quite "finished." The felt-type material bunches and kind of just flaps around. In my camrys, this material is bolted down and much more taut. It actually looks as tho the material was cut wrong where it hangs loose on the sides. Is this a common thing, or should I go complain?
  • desgdesg Member Posts: 52
    Hi I'm Des from Sydney, Australia (go to California make a left then keep going for about another 14,000 miles :) )

I've order a GLS Hatch, arrives in a couple of weeks, so I'll be joining you happy Hyundai Elantra hatch owners
  • tmk01tmk01 Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a 2002 Elantra GLS, 2.0L, option 5 w/ ABS & TCS, Obsidian Black. Had to pay sticker price, but didn't have a choice if I wanted ABS/TCS. Those option 5's are like gold around here in WA state. No dealer trades or price bargaining with those features. But I wanted the safety, and am very impressed with the car over all. Still a great buy compared to like models with same features.
  • dmarzo1dmarzo1 Member Posts: 37
    I joined the club today and must say I am quite pleased with my decision. I got a good deal on a 2001 Elantra GT, Automatic, ABS, sunroof, etc. Purchase price was $14,600 and out the door at $15350.

Will give more impressions later--but just wanted to join the club for now :)

Dave
  • tjm1957tjm1957 Member Posts: 4
    We bought the black 2002 GT with automatic, moon roof, ABS, TCS, floor mats, mud guards, and cargo net on 11/26/01.
    I still sneak out to look at it!
    Reached 2000 miles today and am getting 24+ mpg
    in 50/50 driving. MPG keeps improving with
    every tank. My only beefs are:
    1) occasional 2nd to 3rd gear 'searching'
    2) hatch rattles when it's cold
    3) driver side wiper lets fluid build up on
    glass near side pillar.

Otherwise, we love this car!
  • desgdesg Member Posts: 52
    My GLS Hatch finally arrived today :)

In Australian spec this is:

- Hatchback
    - 2 Litre engine
    - Cloth seats
    - automatic (Sydney traffic and a manual I think NOT)
    - Rear Disc brakes
    - power windows & mirrors
    - air conditioning
    - alloy wheels
    - radio/single CD player with 6 speakers

We basically don't get Leather (not the best in this climate anyways), trip computer, cruise control, TCS (don't need it here), Purple instruments.

ABS is an option.

Car is in Elm Green and looks pretty good, nice to drive and pretty quiet and smooth, the hatch is extremely practical and in my view looks the best out of the two shapes. I'm probably going to get Tint and cruise control fitted aftermarket, will put a set of front seat covers and floor mats in it for protection and to make cleaning easier.

Final cost was AUD 22,500 with all on road costs paid for - very good value. In USD that is about $11,500.
  • gt_fangt_fan Member Posts: 159
    Last week I became the proud owner of a Carbon Blue 2002 Elantra GT. I had to call all over Colorado to find one with 5spd and ABS. Paid $15,395 before tax. The dealer threw in the tint and clear mask on the hood, so I'm guessing it was about an average deal for a hot-selling model.

I was looking to replace my '95 Audi 90 Quattro with something that could handle three child seats and a large dog in the back, and the GT fit the bill perfectly. Also wanted to get away from the ridiculous amount of money I was paying for maintenance, repairs, insurance and gas with the Audi. (Great car to own - if you're rich!)

One of the biggest stumbling blocks for me about buying this car was Hyundai's past reputation. My sister had a brand new '86 Excel and it was a rolling (sometimes) disaster. Most of my co-workers drive high-end stuff (Boxters, Ferrari's, Mercedes, etc), so I was a little concerned about what kind of ribbing I would take, but with kids and a mortgage, my priorities have changed a bit. The funny thing is, when I drive this car I don't feel like I'm having to settle for anything. It really is a blast to drive and the look is distinctive enough that I turn a lot more heads than I did with the Audi. It feels very solid and with the great warranty, I don't think I'm taking much of a risk.

Looking forward to getting the car through it's break-in so I can turn it loose a bit. Happy to be a member of the club!
  • risa5risa5 Member Posts: 23
    Hi everyone. I thought I already posted here since I've posted everywhere else, but I obviously have not. I just purchased a Chianti Red 2002 Elantra GT, automatic and ABS. Thank you to everyone on this board for their very helpful and informative posts.
    Last week, Edmunds rolled out new pricing pages. Along with this is a new "consumer ratings & reviews". This functionality lives in the "consumer opinions" area of the new vehicle detail page, and allows users to rate a vehicle on a number of different criteria (1 to 10 scale), as well as add his/her own free-form comments.

If you have some time, we would really appreciate Town Hall members writing a review of their current auto, or a favorite make/model. It takes approximately a week for your review to appear on that make/model.

If you have any questions, please let me know!

Thanks!

KarenS
    Host
    Owners Clubs
  • vojdvojd Member Posts: 3
    Does anybody still have Elantra'93-95?
    Mine is Elantra '93 and it has around 90k miles on it. I bought it 2 years ago with 72k on it. Still running but has problems (recently replaced engine)which I encountered recently.
    And I need a front bumper cover that was cracked finally last winter and driver side molding (I live in upstate New York). Dealers replacement prices are very high (considering the final cost of this car :)).
  • ajenkins23ajenkins23 Member Posts: 15
    Has anyone seen the GT in the dark blue? I'm not sure what Hyundai call the shade but my dealer says it's just new. I'm trying to decide between the dark blue and pewter!
  • jasperblujasperblu Member Posts: 4
    I bought a 2002 pewter 5-speed manual Elantra GT in October 2001 & am in Southern CA. Got it brand spanking new (just off the boat - 8 miles on the odometer) with all the options available; moonroof, ABS brakes, traction control, floor mats, mud flaps, cargo net, etc. Added LoJack too.

Total price out the door, including tax/license = just a hair over $16,000.

Considering everything that came on this car, I don't feel as though I paid too much. I seriously doubt I could have gotten another brand new car with anywhere near this many "premium" options for less than $20K.
  • litolpealitolpea Member Posts: 4
    howdie there. just wanted to join the into's...i am shelli, NE ohio, happy elantra owner now for 6 months...2001 black GLS, moonroof, the whole shebang.
    drivin around cleveland was never so much fun!
  • msmollin2001msmollin2001 Member Posts: 5
    Hello everyone. I'm from PA, and over here on the east coast Hyundai's got stiff competiton from the Japanese cars, but I'll tell yah something, that's because the Japanese are scared! This is a great car, spacious, easy to drive, and affordable! I pay 12,225 for mine, with a starting price of 10,495 (1800 under invoice so I hear). Stick shift, so there's tons of kick. It definetly the better buy over civic's and saturn's if you can get it for that price. Its a base model, so I won't bother listing options (hehe). The one thing weird about it is I've got a California Emissions package on mine? That's kinda annoying, cause its more complicated, less gass mileage, and IT HASTA MEET CALIFORNIA EMISSIONS NOW! Couldn't find one without though, so I'll hafta deal :) That's a small con though. See ya around the boards!
  • jricke1982jricke1982 Member Posts: 1
    Whats goin on everyone?? I just bought a new Elantra last week. I know I haven't had it long enough to talk about reliability, but here is my impression so far. I bought a 5-speed GLS w/ Option 3 package. Paid $12,800 and $13650 out the door. Plus I got 1.9%APR, so interest payments are nothing. I'm only a 20 year old college student, so value was imperative for me. I have driven the hell out of it, 950 miles in 7 days, and I still love to get behind the wheel every chance I get. I used to drive a V-8 Chevrolet Truck which obviously overshadows any pep the Elantra might have, but going to the gas pump 1/2 as often and paying $10 less per tank makes it all worthwhile. Stock CD player and tweeters is great, but I want to upgrade the speakers. If anyone has had any experiences, good or bad, please let me know. And does this void any part of the warranty. I will let everyone know how it holds up after I reach the 12,000 mile mark, which based upon my milage, could be pretty soon.
  • jimbeaumijimbeaumi Member Posts: 620
    Congratulations to the latest Elantra owners! My little gem just rolled 13,000 miles on my way back from a Chicago day trip. A very smooth and comfortable trip, I might add. Now that I've had several of these longer trips, not the usual around-town driving, the engine seems smoother than ever and still very responsive. I am quite happy.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    last summer I paid $11.2 for a GLS with group 2. That seemed about average except for California which was quite a bit lower. I was unable to get the dealer to budge lower. This was his quoted cost for group 1 with all up-groups at his exact cost (matched with Edmunds figures-- of course you also got the 1.9%). I notice that the same dealer went up $100 between the 01's and 02's. Cars that were $10,895 are now advertised for $10,995.
  • okeydokeyokeydokey Member Posts: 12
    2002 gls midnight grey (looks purple to me) bought may 2002, now almost 3000 miles. automatic, base model (no cruise, no keyfob) bought it real cheap (under 10k new) happy with it so far, no problem whatsoever.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    you got one hell of a good price. Must live in California or some other place where they're dumping cars. Most of the high depreciation costs on Hyundais is because they figure purchase costs at or near MSRP. No one would pay that for a Hyundai. Even the Edmunds TMV prices seem high to me, as did the price they paid for their test car. Figuring depreciation off of your purchase price would bring near-Toyota total costs.
  • tsuweitsuwei Member Posts: 1
    I paid $13k out the door for my '02 GLS (auto) with package 3 in May. It is quiet and smooth comparing with my old '95 Saturn SL2. My wife would like to buy a GT now.
  • arsiongarsiong Member Posts: 7
    Hi pewter2002 -- I just picked up 2002 Elantra GLS, without any options you added for just $500.
    I envy your dear. I am in Michigan area, and I just need a Black grippy steering wheel cover because I found the wheel is too thin for my long fingers, what kind of shop/store should I go to for a Black grippy steering wheel cover??? then I would be very happy.....Thanks
  • jimbeaumijimbeaumi Member Posts: 620
    If you are in metro Detroit, always go to Murray's for car stuff. In the rest of the state, AutoZone or Pep Boys. I miss Murray's!!
This discussion has been closed.